Reviews of The Claremont 5 stars

Second Avenue, Brighton & Hove, BN3 2LL, United Kingdom

#17 of 67 B&Bs and Inns in Brighton & Hove

The single room was really cozy and by cozy I mean small

Great breakfast in a decent Hotel, beautiful art combined with cozy interiour and a wonderful backyard.

• Classic Double Room

Menu Reminders about no smoking,no take away in room.You will be charged a full nights fee if you do !we are in our fifties!

Exellent wellcome ,very clean and breakfast was superb

The staff were friendly, the room refreshments and snacks were well thought out and a lovely touch. The art that was on display was a nice surprise and i had a wonderful stay. Would highly reccomend.

The amount of stairs to my room which was at the top of the hotel. But you can't have everything.

Bed was very comfortable and the room itself was tasteful in its décor. An excellent choice of breakfast menu and airy, comfortable dining room. Staff were friendly and helpful. Great that this hotel was used as an Open House venue. Lots of artwork to look at made the hotel even more interesting. Attention to detail as they even provided earplugs in case of noisy neighbours.

• Classic Double Room

the shower could have been better but for the age of the house it was still good.

the staff were very friendly. everything you asked for they managed to do.

There were limited options on the cold counter. Staff were getting flustered with other guests during breakfast, certainly not a 5 star service from the staff. As stated when we arrived, the hot water in the showers takes time to come through. We must of had the shower running around 10 minutes on the first day before the water warmed up, The final morning of our stay, the hot water never arrived. We had the shower running nearly 20 minutes, before we bit the bullet and just suffered a cold shower. The hotel boasts that they're a 'green' guest house, but water wastage and bills must be sky high. When leaving, the guest house manager seemed to be happy to get us out the door, we were not asked how our stay was, or if we had any problems during our stay. Car parking is £7 a day, or you pay from the meters outside yourself. This is not stated on the website. Not worth the price we had to pay!

The cooked breakfast was lovely and the beds were extremely comfortable, with enough room for the entire family. The rooms were extremely clean and the location was perfect.

• Classic Double Room

On arrival we were met by Dan who was most helpful. Talked us through the area & gave us recommendations to eat. The hotel is about a 20 minute walk down to the lanes but there are lots of restaurants & places to drink along the way. When we next go back to Brighton we would definitely choose to stay at the Claremont.

I had a single room which whilst fine in itself but had a rather compact en suite. It was okay for me, just not a great deal of room in the shower. Room was provided with a fan but there is no a/c as such - it was a little warm despite the radiators being off throughout. No lift if you need that facility.

Very friendly and helpful staff. They went out of the way to put on an early breakfast for marathon runners which was really appreciated. Excellent cooked breakfast btw, probably one of the best I've had. And a lovely garden at the back should you have the time to relax in the sun!

• Four Poster Room

The room was spacious, elegant and lovely, the staff were attentive and courteous. Breakfast was delicious. Couldn’t fault the hotel, would recommend most highly.

• Four Poster Room

Very friendly staff. Very clean. Lovely room and nice breakfast. Parking out front subject to buying a parking permit from the hotel. All you need in lovely place.

• Classic Double Room

Nothing! They had thought of everything.

The bed was huge and so comfortable. Staff very friendly and knowledgeable of the area. Spotless everywhere and excellent breakfast.

• Four Poster Room

Some staff are not professional especially for parking arrangement. If you are planning to visit Brighton by self driving, pls pay more attention and don’t trust the Hotel arrangement!😡 The location is slightly far away from British Airline I360 and Brighton Pier!🚗 There are many hotels near the Brighton Pier with excellent sea view! 👍 This hotel rooms are facing street view only! I m doubt of 5 Stars Recommendation!

Some staff are very nice and the simple breakfast is good enough.

• Classic Double Room

The room was booked last minute and therefore having stayed at the hotel on several previous occasions, we were not surprised to be located in the very top floor which are attic style rooms. Seagulls and other species did make for a loud and lengthy dawn chorus each morning....

Excellent breakfast and lots of carefully chosen options to meet all dietary requirements/ needs. The in room beverage selection was also excellent with good selection of teas/ fresh milk in a vacuum flask.

The bed was too hard and felt as if sleeping on a slope. The water pressure was very low but appreciate its due to the building being very old.

Lovely furnishings, very relaxing room. Spotless and lots of little touches appreciated eg choice of beverages in the room, bottled water and a bowl of sweets. The staff are very welcoming and very deaf aware which helped with communication.

The bathroom in my room was a bit smaller than I'd like. The bathroom sink was especially small. Parking on the street was definitely a challenge each night, but I found something each time even though I had to walk a couple of blocks back from the car to the hotel.

The staff members I met were great! They were very helpful with two particular things - first, I missed the breakfast time the first day, but the manager on duty whipped me a great plate of scrambled eggs and toast to offset my mistake. Second, I needed some information on bus and train travel and Dan hooked me up with a great deal on a round-trip ticket to London.

• Classic Double Room

So lovely and friendly. Loved all the art work on the walls. It was clean, quiet, conveniently located, comfortable and interesting. We had a brilliant two night stay. Thank you.

Although we enjoyed looking at the art displayed everywhere in the building, it was a little off-putting that everything in the guest house has a price tag attached to it. Even the scatter pillows in our room.

4-post bedroom was large - everything we needed, bathrobes, slippers etc Staff is friedly

• Classic Double Room

We faced the back and a bit of a party going on across the gap between the Claremont and facing buildings. But as it was a cold night so the people in the garden gave up and the noise died down and sleeping was no problem.

Sounds odd, but top of the list was parking the car as Brighton is notorious for high parking charges--after that problem was sorted, all was perfect. Was directed by the staff to a spot in centre of road near the accomodation (we had plenty of vacant spots to choose from), We had got there at 14.50 and after pumping in £5.20 the ticket gave us until the following afternoon. Short stroll to the Promenade and thence along the seafront to Brighton. Easy as it's flat. The bedroom was small but did the job. Bed was comfy. Towels. bedding all spotless and clean. Breakfast was good and breakfast room pleasant. So many places to eat in Brighton you just take your pick.

• Classic Double Room

For a double room this was very small. The only chair was positioned so that it had to be moved to open the bureau which housed the tea and coffee making equipment. There should be a shelf in the shower to hold visitors' own products. The breakfasts were good overall but the cafetiere coffee was poor and rather "muddy".

Great location and friendly helpful staff.

• Classic Double Room

Hand rail not properly fixed in bath, making it quite dangerous and came off in my hand. No room service. Couldn't get heating to work.

Friendly welcome. Nice big room. Quiet. Good location.

Parking is on the street and the pass that is on offer costs. Other establishments often provide such a pass for free. I didn’t get to sample the breakfast as it doesn’t start until 8:00am which is a tad late in my opinion.

Very clean and comfortable nights stay. Bed was great and our superior room was spacious. Location was excellent, a comfortable walk into the centre of Brighton and a minute from the waterfront. Good shopping and restaurants near the property as well. It was quiet and perfect for a weekend away.

Coffee table low down to make tea and coffee on! Left over Water and scale in Kettle. Breakfast only between 8am-9.30, have to go down for it! Having to wait to check out. Squeaky floor boards can hear everyone walking past rooms etc. Loud noise constant when turn tap on.

The bed was comfy.

• Classic Double Room

- Internet unstable - Breakfast Eggs Benedict was spoiled by hard poached eggs and uncooked spinach. - Cost of visitors Parking marked up from £3 Brighton Council cost to £7 by the Hotel for guests Overall

Lovely building, clean pleasant staff

• Four Poster Room

Breakfast was stated as award winning but fell well below standard expected of a 5 star hotel.

Room presented beautifully. Dan the manager very helpful

• Classic Double Room

I would of loved a little bar area to enjoy a drink but this would of been a bonus - it's definitely not a dislike.

We felt so welcomed, nothing was to much trouble when we were asking about the area, where was good to eat.....so on. The breakfast was amazing, fresh, hot & tasty. We will return.

• Classic Double Room

The service was excellent ahead of our arrival and while we stayed at The Claremont. A great location near the sea, wonderful breakfast and helpful staff We will definitely stay again

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Extensive lovely menu for breakfast, lots of gluten free options. I did not require this, but even for me it added to the feeling that the hotel would go the extra mile to make its guests happy and comfortable.

If i am been pickie,the price could have been a little less per night, but having a party conference in town i think put the price up

The staff are very helpful & the beds are clean & very comfortablet,the hotel is a short walk down to the sea front

Nothing, all excellent.

The staff here were fabulous, especially Joel who was great....not just to ne but to everyone staying at the hotel. A very comfortable hotel and the breakfast was just fantastic!!! It also has a lovely garden which was super to sit out in. Overall I enjoyed staying here much indeed and would certainly return.

Too many rules!!! For example, no eating hot or cold food in your room. No iron or ironing board in my room which was inconvenient for me. The wait to receive my breakfast was far too long - over half an hour on the first morning.

The bed was comfortable and the complimentary bottle of water was appreciated as the weather was very hot.

The time frame for breakfast was slightly late (8am start) but the hotel did ask if this was suitable for my needs- so was not a significant problem.

The room was incredibly clean and comfortable with a lot of extras, for example, fresh coffee alongside instant and a pot of sweets. The house is a large beautiful Victorian detached on a number of floors with a wide range of art work to either enjoy, or purchase. The hotel offer a wide range of breakfast items.

• Classic Double Room

I rang before arrival to add 3 family members to Saturdays breakfast. on arrival no one had logged my request, so I asked at the desk. On Saturday morning they hadn't set the table. We waited 1 hour.

The hotel was very clean and the rooms were well set out with excellent amenities. The breakfast was very good food(see below). Staff were very pleasant if a little forgetful. I would book again with family.

The size of the room was great. Also the bathroom was very clean. I liked all the pictures in every part of the hotel. It gave the hotel such a classic touch. I would recommend this hotel to all my family and friends. Brilliant.

My wife and I received a warm welcome from the proprietor who was very helpful. We found a parking space nearby, but I imagine it might be difficult at times. We had afternoon tea, which was substantial and enjoyable; the scones in particular were great and served as they should be, with jam and clotted cream. Breakfast was also of a high standard. This is a delightful place to stay and much better than you would expect from a b&b.

I had a single room; the main room was fine but the en-suite shower room was barely large enough, with a sink that was just about big enough to use.

Very friendly and accommodating staff. Great breakfast. Beautiful garden, where you could have breakfast if you wished.

Not much I didn't like - noticed a couple of things that needed attention (sink plug chain not attached and toilet roll holder loose) but nothing other than that.

Staff were very pleasant and helpful at all times! Bed was very comfy. Breakfast was a treat - plenty of tasty options to choose from - all delivered with a smile x

• Classic Double Room

Lovely house in Brighton, really felt like sleeping in someone's home. The room was small yet very comfortable, nice bed, good view on the garden. Great breakfast, lovely host. We found plenty of parking spots in the street, it's right next to the beach. Beautiful and highly recommended

Breakfast took a long while to come even though it was good when it arrived. A wait of 40 mins meant that I was late for an appointment. The wifi was iffy. The room was quite cramped, particularly the shower area, although it was clean.

Friendly staff and a convenient location in a nice part of Hove. There are plenty of bars/restaurants nearby.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

• Classic Double Room

Everything....Clean, comfortable, great location, good breakfast, nice staff.....on arrival we were upgraded to bigger room at no extra cost which was a nice touch thanks

• Deluxe Room

Parking is a challenge and expensive but this isn't unique to this hotel in the area. Can be a little noisy but earplugs are provided if it gets too much.

Beautiful Room, large with big bay window, Laura Ashley decoration, roll top bath ind fireplace in the bathroom, walk in shower, fluffy towels and nice toiletries. We needed an earlier breakfast than the advertised times and there was no hesitation in accommodating our request. Good choice of breakfast items.

• Classic Double Room

The staff were friendly and very helpful nothing too much trouble. Ellie (think that was her name) was amazing. Lovely room liked all little extras bottle water well filled complimentary tray. Beautiful gardens. Room very clean.

In my search and when I booked I highlighted parking as an issue. I did not appreciate having to park on the street. I assumed as they said there was parking, that there was a specific parking area. This was not the case. To me this important as I know that parking in Brighton and Hove is problematic. They eventually gave us a residents permit valid until 9am the next morning. Parking actually required a good deal of chasing of parking spaces. The permit allowed parking along the kerb and the meter controlled zone was two rows of parking in the middle of the road. So you can imagine cars going up one side and down the other in search of slots. Rather like musical chairs! Not a good start to our stay. The receptionist did her best to accommodate us...hence the parking permit. Then the room .....due to the scaffolding on the exterior, the windows hadn't been opened. The room was extremely stuffy and smelt of industrial cleaning fluid. We tried to air the room but were advised to close everything when we went out. So later that evening , after dinner, we returned to a still rather smelly room.

• Four Poster Room

We was not made aware that the property had scaffolding erected outside the front of the building, which was directly outside our windows and the shower was broken. Therefore we was unable to shower

• Classic Double Room

The room was very small. It was ok for one night but a bit claustrophobic for me personally but to be fair, I think they were all but fully booked with a conference and we only booked at the last minute so that probably explained it. It was peak season after all!

The very homely welcome from the staff. It felt like we were staying with friends rather than in a hotel. The breakfast in the garden was just wonderful and we will definitely be back to stay again!

The staff were amazing- nothing was too much trouble. We also loved the artwork decorating the walls, so much so that we bought a piece. The location is fantastic, central Brighton is easily walkable in 25 mins but if you stay within the vicinity of the hotel, you are in beautiful central Hove which is just lovely (and slightly less gritty than Brighton!) - AND the beach is at the end of the road!

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

It wasn't worth the £220 a night I paid and I know others got a lot cheaper as rooms were available on the day for £90. I feel a fool for booking in advance. There were a lot of stairs so I wouldn't advise to anyone who is older or disabled. Its not really a hotel - its a B&B. Parking is a minefield as its hard to get a space. The Claremont offered a voucher for £7 but I got 11 hours for £5.20 by just using the offstreet parking telephone number. The TV channels very limited but that's not a massive bugbear as you are there to visit Brighton really! A one off - I am sure but my key didn't work when I got there. The manager fixed it but I had specific instructions on how to use it. I was going to a 50th that night and it did put a dampner on my evening because I felt like I had to get back early in case it didn't work.

A nice welcome. Very helpful. My bags were carried up for me which was useful as there were lots of stairs! The room was clean and comfy. Biscuits sweets, tea and coffee all nice touches. The garden is very pretty.

• Classic Double Room

I was wonderred how booking com described their stees this is 5 star facility hotel , what base it is day light robbery from booking .com , it is dis graceful

very poor quality food, I have asked only one croissants and egg fry, croissants was very very poor quality like burned ashes.

Lovely B and B .... but clearly not a five star hotel as advertised !! Bed and pillows very uncomfortable No fridge in room

Lovely garden Friendly staff

Lovely breakfast, great choice. My stay was during an exceptionally spell of hot weather, but a fan was provided in my room. Room was a little small but perfect and the sweets were a nice touch. It was handy to park my scooter for free just outside the hotel, then I was able to explore the area. Great to have good old fashioned keys for the front door and my room instead of door cards.

• Classic Double Room

Room was very small; bed was too small. Maybe I should have ordered the suite but did not expect it to be so pokey. All was clean though!

Staff were super - very helpful and approachable. Breakfast was good and location was fine with nearby bars etc and the seafront very walkable

Walls are a little thin between rooms so my first night was a little disturbed by next door's snoring but I'm a light sleeper and to be fair ear plugs were provided, although they didn't stay in my ears! That's the only thing I'd change though. My stay was very pleasant indeed.

Lovely, helpful staff made me feel very welcome and the hotel provided an excellent venue for the yoga course I was on.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Nothing could be improved on - it's all just right. For disabled travellers or those with poor mobility, stairs could be a problem as there is no lift, but that's clearly indicated in the advertising.

This is a wonderful place to stay! Warm welcome from staff, lively and interesting art all over all rooms and staircases, bedrooms beautifully clean and lots of thought had gone into decor. Lovely to have ground coffee and a cafetiere plus wide choice of teas etc. Comfortable bed, big, soft towels, delicious breakfast served by charming staff. Garden is beautiful and you can have drinks or coffee out there. So quiet yet only minutes from great places to eat and drink. This is a real jewel of a place - go there and you'll see what I mean!

• Classic Double Room

The heater was on and was sort of semi broken in the on position. The bed was not comfortable at all. I didn't sleep well either night. A long walk away from Brighton pier.

It was quiet. There was bottled water. The staff were nice.

View from my room was of the next building with scaffolding around it and the local bar was rather noisy in the evenings.

Beautiful room, gardens and facilities and the staff were most helpful.

Drunks at the many pubs at the top of the road making noise until all hours

Loved the garden that was a bonus surprise and the whole place had a lovely home away from home feel

• Classic Double Room

The sausages and hash browns at breakfast, shame!

Quiet nights sleep, comfortable bed in a tranquil location but, still in the hub of Hove and access to Brighton. Room facilities and ambience. Windows that open! Tea/coffee, snacks and plenty of things in right place, full length mirror plus plenty more. Wonderful garden. Helpfulness of staff.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Bed was a small single, hence could have been bigger. At breakfast my single slice of toast arrived when I had already eaten 30% of my breakfast. A single slice was all I wanted, but they did not know that, everyone else got multiple slices so it just looked mean. My room door made a horrible noise on closing which must have woken anyone else

The garden is beautiful and full of bird song, a lovely place to sit and read. The room itself was nice, the shower was powerful

Would have been good to have free parking but on-street parking was easy near hotel and not expensive.

Decor, breakfast very friendly without being intrusive quiet location choice of good restaurants within 5 minutes walk.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

• Four Poster Room

Breakfast was not as good as advertised, there was even a certificate in the room for the award that they had won for best breakfast of 2017, not quite sure how it's possible to win best anything of 2017 at the beginning of the year

Location was great

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

• Classic Double Room

I had requested a bath and was pleased to find we had one, but there wasn't much space for toiletries and the lighting was rather poor. Other than that everything was very satisfactory.

A very good choice for breakfast with plenty of good coffee. Our bedroom was nice and overlooked the garden so it was quiet. Y

• Classic Double Room

Very small room Not particularly good value for the high room rate

Lovely garden, that caught the morning sun. Very good (inclusive) breakfast Helpful & friendly staff Good location

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

• Classic Double Room

Nothing, it was great value for money.

Very convenient location, near the sea and a pleasant walk into the main shopping area. The welcome was warm, the room though smallish was beautifully appointed with everything we could need, including fresh ground coffee, a little jar of lollipops, extra bedding, hairdryer, luxury toiletries etc. It was spotlessly clean and very nicely decorated. The bed was very comfy and the room warm with adjustable radiators. The hotel has won an award for their breakfast and deservedly so, it was really good, with a wide and appetising choice and all well cooked and tasty. We would definitely stay at the Claremont again.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Bathroom was a little small. The double bed was actually two single mattresses pushed together which was a shame.

Nice dressing table in room. Felt very homely and the little sweets jar was a nice touch. Very close proximity to the seafront. Lovely for an evening stroll.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

On arrival late in the evening the room was over hot but adjustment of the radiator thermostat sorted that problem. Duvet too heavy and uncomfortably hot on first night but this was fully corrected on request next day.

The style and ambiance and the copious art exhibits. The friendly and helpful reception plus the courtesy and attention from the breakfast service team.

An great hotel with amazing staff, the breakfast was out of this world with amazing choice and variety of hot and cold food, easy parking right outside and close to the centre of Brighton.

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Classic Double Room

a bit more on parking to be shown on the website.

Parking is difficult in Brighton. We were able to park outside for a small additional cost (organised by but not part of the hotel). 25 minute stroll into Brighton. Wonderful art on show in the hotel/guesthouse. Comfy room and bed. Good breakfast (and catering for veggies which we are). Quiet.

• Classic Double Room

The room I was assigned - Room 5. Very small. Toilet and shower was separated by the small hallway. Shower was hard to get into because it was so tiny and no door! My partner found it funny to watch me in the shower. Bed was comfortable, TV worked albeit quite tiny too. Robes were a nice touch.

The decorations were nice. Lots of artwork and interesting pieces.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

• Classic Double Room

The Claremont was clean and tidy.The staff were friendly and helpful. The atmosphere was relaxed.Ideal for 20 minute walk into Brighton. The local restaurants, pubs and shops within 2 minutes were great.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

Disappointed that Super Room included 5 foot bed despite asking for extra large bed. Therefore smaller than bed at home.

Great breakfast and welcome. Easy paid street parking for 24 hours a lot cheaper than most of Brighton and Hove.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Four Poster Room

Cooked breakfast could have been a bit more generous, perhaps offering the chance to ask how many sausages etc

Beautiful decor in the bedroom Staff were extremely friendly

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Parking not ideal!

Beautiful decor throughout. Very nice breakfast with good choice and good service. In a nice location with good choice of eateries/bars within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

• Deluxe Room

Think the shop room could Have been a cosy bar or lounge room maybe but nice that local artists are using this to sell their art work etc

Very pleasantly surprised at how lovely this place was. Would definitely go back again and recommend. Stayed in the white room so spacious and comfortable with an amazing bathroom. Wonderful selection for breakfast. Also nice to stay in Hove saw a different side to Brighton and still a lovely walk along the sea front into town.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Deluxe Room

Deluxe room was large and airy, beautifully decorated. Nice bathroom, freestanding bath. Breakfast was good, loved the porridge! Good cooked selection too. Friendly helpful team. Walking distance to Brighton (20 minutes) but lots of local cafés, restaurants and bars near hotel.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

The noise proof is poor; the super double bed is a put-together of two single beds; the mattress is rigid; it takes several minutes to have any hot water; it is seriously over priced.

Staff are friendly.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

• Deluxe Room

A beautiful boutique hotel in a peaceful part of Hove. Outstanding service, fabulous breakfast. Very comfortable bed and a lovely bathroom with freestanding bath. This is one of my favourite places in Brighton/Hove

Browse The Claremont traveller photo gallery