Reviews of Ocean Beach Hotel & Spa - OCEANA COLLECTION 3 stars

East Overcliff Drive, Bournemouth, BH1 3AQ, United Kingdom

#42 of 79 hotels in Bournemouth

• Small Double Room

The floor in our room was squeaky. It was difficult to find our room at first as no signage in corridors.

The decor is nice and modern. Good choice of breakfast, fresh pastries and tasty full English. We had free of charge upgrade to sea view room.

• Standard Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The staff are extremely unpleasant very rude and not helpful I personally wouldn’t recommend this hotel. The smell in the rooms are awful overall not a nice stay at this hotel. Their was no hot water had to shower in cold water. The beds were broken wasn’t worth the money

• Small Double Room

The elevator was not working, the staff was almost invisible. They don't have air conditioning. The building looks old, with really bad windows.

The location was good, close to the ocean.

• Small Double Room

The lift was out of order, we arrived Friday afternoon and would be told it would be fixed that by that evening - it was still out of order on Sunday afternoon when we checked out. The rooms were also quite small and the bed was very firm.

All the staff were lovely and very accommodating with anything we needed help with, like bringing an iron up to our room and giving us a complimentary drink for our birthdays. The day spa was amazing, the ladies there were fantastic and very upbeat and we both enjoyed a top to toe massage.

The lift was broken, the gym was under refurbishment, no hot water the 1st morning, TV signal very poor

Clean, seafront position, staff very good, breakfast selection quite good

• Standard Single Room

Unfortunately was not possible to get warm/hot water from the shower. however If you like fresh water in your shower it is perfect for you

Great Location, will go again.

• Small Double Room

Was lovely & quiet Thursday night but very noisy Friday night. I didn’t use the outside pool as I was put off by the green edges. This pool needs a pool monster. ( pool hoover).

The toiletries. Nice array of shower gel, shampoo & body lotion. Good quality teabags.

Have to expect the odd nosiy neighbour which we did on our first night but I'm sure if we had let the staff now they would have moved us but second night was so quiet .

The staff were very friendly and always happy to help ,the breakfast was very good and hotel very clean . The hotel is on the beach and was within walking distance to the town . We will definatly be going back .

• Premium Sea View Double

When booking on line, I said that we were coming for a mini honeymoon and to our great delight on arrival, we found a congratulations card in the room and 2 vouchers for a glass of Prosecco in the bar. A lovely personal touch in this modern day of computerised automation so making this part of our wedding celebrations special too. Thank you all at Ocean Beach.

Nothing not to like but prepare to walk.

Me and my wife came for our 2 year wedding anniversary we were greeted with a complimentary upgrade and a card with a lovely message.

Room layout was a little strange as the bathroom was located on the seaview side but did not have a window. Would have been better if it had been on the internal side so that you could have a larger window into the bedroom. Car parking was a little limited and quite expensive to park on the road outside.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast very good. Overall very enjoyable stay.

Not much. Food wasn't the best but hotel was amazing

It was great. Such a good location. Nice inside. Right on the beach we'll worth the money 10/10

• Small Double Room

Room was too small , as my partner was a sleep I must to wake him up so I can pass betwen the bed and wardrobe ,disappointed!,

Not my type , on the pitchers from web site hotel look much better ,new and fresh as is in real!

Our room had an old tissue and crisps packets stuffed behind the drawers. Just made me wonder how well it had been cleaned. The smoke alarm was very sensitive. Went off when I was using hairdryer and straighteners! Bar staff could do with being a little more friendly and talkative. They are in hospitality after all.

The lounge and bar area is very modern. The rooms were an adequate size and had everything needed. It was nice getting to use the facilities of the sister hotels such as the indoor pool and sauna room. Clara on reception was such a delight, very friendly and helpful. Location being right by the sea was lovely too. We had a few issues with our room such as odd looking shower water and the TV didn’t work. However, they came and sorted it out quickly.

• Double Room with Sea View

For the price I paid, not great room. Wasnt overly clean and cold tap didnt work on bath/shower

Beautiful location. Secluded outside pool and helpful staff. Great spa on site

The Wi-Fi was not connecting. It only worked on the last day of our stay. The indoor pool and sauna is located in the hotel next door but you can use it free of charge.

The breakfast was amazing and the hotel staff were friendly

• Premium Sea View Double

Parking was a pain. We had to park well away from the hotel because there wasn't enough parking in the hotel carpark, this was a expensive way to do it.

The room was gorgeous. Light and airy and a sea view. The bathroom was a little compact but still modern and clean. We ordered room service and the food was really nice and fresh. The staff were friendly also.

• Family Room with Sea View

First night wanted to treat my two friends to dinner and the meal and service was terrible .Also no sitting area to relax in.I had stayed in the sister next door but at the time was very dated So was reluctant to book it.But our last night we went there absolutely fabulous so was very sorry for my mistake.We also went to the Cumberland and had very,very tough duck that on hindsight I should have sent back !! Then on our last night HEAVEN all round .Next time I will know.Lots

Bedroom was excellent for our needs.Breakfast also was good.First night wanted

• Small Double Room

The tv in the bedroom was in the wrong position and too far from the bed.

Very good staff always trying to help. Good value for money and in a very good location

• Double Room with Sea View

Very noisy. Misslinding personel.

Got free breakfast as a cancellation for sleepless night. People in the function room had a party below our rooom till 1:30 in the morning.

A very disappointing stay, it was our 4 year anniversary and it was not made special for us. The sea view room is shocking, it’s just a window that overlooks the sea. The ‘double’ bed was not much larger than a single and when I went to reception to ask to be moved, the woman laughed and said ‘yes I know the bed in your room’. We were waiting for a call from Reception to see if we could change rooms, we waited and waited with no phone call. The breakfast was pretty poor, no one comes over to serve you and only the manager apologised for our wait. It’s a very run down hotel that are doing well due to the location - which is the only good thing about this hotel. When I voiced my concern at checkout, no refund or form of compensation wasn’t given. I’d never stay again, do not waste your money!

• Small Double Room

The view from the back was awful. You could see the discoloured and rotting windows of other rooms and it looked dirty!

The room itself wasn’t bad, though a little small- bathroom was good

• Standard Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The bed was larger than expected which was a nice surprise and very comfy. Decent sized rooms and nice furniture. Staff was all lovely and friendly and breakfast exceeded expectation. Our room was spotless. We definitely will be returning in the future. We loved our stay and its in the perfect location with beautiful views.

• Standard Single Room

the gym was closed (the main reason I booked this hotel) also the radiator in the room made a buzzing sound all night which kept me up in the night

location and view

The car park was a bit small for the size of the hotel but you do have the option of parking in the hotel next door - if there’s space.

The staff were super friendly and we even managed a free room upgrade with a sea view.

• Double Room with Sea View

Spa was out of action Resturant closed after first night Would have been nice to have been informed of this BEFOERE we visited

We liked the location. The room had a fabulous view The meal on first night was good

Health suite was closed-primary need-without prior notification. TV reception poor. Window rattled when windy. Bed uncomfortable. Staff support was mixed.

Breakfast was good.Momon and Jennifer were helpful. Walk-in shower was very nice. Some of the meals were good.

I would say more comfy mattress!

The bed wasn’t too comfy but was very hot so was boiling! The room was perfect just for staying in for the night! Staff was very nice and the price for the place was very cheap!

• Small Double Room

Maybe I was unlucky with the room,but the bed base was torn, the carpet was dirty, two of the three windows were nailed shut . So I was roasting. Paying 140 per night I wouldn't expect a knackered and hot room . So regardless how nice the lobby was ,it ruined the experience. Never again.

Fantastic staff, clean bathroom, available facilities. Great pizza.

• Small Double Room

The room was way too hot at night times , air conditioning would have made the stay 10 out of 10 . Just a shame it didn’t have it as it made nights quite sleepless

Hotel was lovely and so close to the beach and pier . Would recommend for sure

• Family Room with Sea View

The bunk bed in our room was so squeaky that we couldn’t use the top bunk at all so one child had to share the double bed. Breakfast was v average and was told I would have to wait when asking for coffee. Indoor pool in next door hotel was v small. Outdoor pool was overlooked by bar area and too cold to use.

Good location, lovely food in the bar area -v nice meal and lunch there. Great view from hotel room, v quiet in evening.

• Double Room with Sea View

We paid £233 for a tiny double room, literally a small double bed with just enough room to walk around. We had a side view of the sea, but the windows were so dirty you couldn’t see all that much. It was absolutely roasting in there and no air conditioning. Also, the parking is a joke. Around 15 spaces and the street parking outside says a maximum 11 hours, so you can’t really leave it there.

Good location, lobby area and restaurant was nice enough

There wasn't anything we didn't like!! Just one MINOR thing...... there was an old toothbrush and a toothpaste cap that had fallen between the shower and the hand basin, which looked like it had been there a while! Easy to miss when you are so busy.

Everything was more or less perfect. Wonderful hospitality, lovely food. It was a special weekend for us as it was our fortieth wedding anniversary. Staff were so lovely. Thank you all so much!

• Small Double Room

Lack of communication from staff wasn't told we had to pay for parking due to using booking.com room was over priced for what it was. The check out time or breakfast times wasn't told to us until the next morning when we asked. The location was perfect just a shame about everything else

The next morning the staff member on the front desk was able to discount our breakfast due to the lack of communication from other staff

• Standard Twin Room

Bedroom was very small, twin room but the beds were next to each other and no room to separate them! Rooms and bathrooms desperately need updating! Restaurant was appalling we waited over an hour for some pasta and it wasn’t even busy! There was no apology and I sent the ‘garlic bread’ back because it was so burnt and had no flavouring on it.

Spa and staff were lovely, we had the 75 minute top to toe which was faultless!

Upgraded to a standard room and as we got there they changed room number and they said ‘this room is bigger as you asked for so we have to change’ the room was tiny they put two single beds together tv was tiny no room to walk around not happy I payed extra for a bigger room when it was the same as a single room , rip off

Staff was nice

• Standard Twin Room

None of 2 lights and also the socket were working on the bathroom. So no shawing, no light. Mattress too soft.

Location is nice, with the seaview from the bar. Unfortunately not from our room.

I had a bath in my booking reservation but on check in found there was no bath, only a shower. We had dinner in the Italian restaurant but as I’m vegan it was very difficult to find a good choice. I had pesto lasagne which had loads of cheese in it I felt sick. Could have more options. The parking is awful and needs some consultation with the council to be extended along the road.

The bed was comfy, staff were friendly and breakfast was good and varied. Also good timings and good check out time. As it was my birthday we enjoyed Prosecco and the views over the sea were lovely .

• Small Double Room

I didn’t like the fact I wasn’t called to confirm my booking and my requests for the room, despite my requests for a upstairs bedroom I was given one on the ground floor.

I liked the reception of the hotel and the bar

• Standard Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Staff rude and didn’t have a clue what they was doing ? Full of old people ? Plus are car got keyed in the car park and the hotel wasn’t bothered about ! No English staff and couldn’t understand?

Lovely clean room

• Standard Single Room

Myself and a number of friends stayed, the rooms were all of differnent quality. Some quite nice and worth the money, others awful. Not at all worth the price of the rooms. I had a room the size of a cell with old shower, old and well used furniture and the very loud inconsistent fan. The bed was placed under a window so that light streamed in right where your head lies. Also corridor noise very loud in rooms.

• Small Double Room

Alternative indoors swimming pool at best western royal hotel was a huge disappointment, not recommending to go there- showers with out doors facing swimming pool, no ventilation hot like sauna

Great location and nice seats outside

• Small Double Room

Only downside was spa facilities closed but you could use sister hotels and the toilet flush was poor

Right on seafront. Beautiful to wake up to a view if the sea

We woke up to a strong smell from the kitchen which was unpleasant. The heating of the room was high and there were no controllers inside the room which was reported couple of times on first day of our stay. It repeated the same on next day.

The best part of the stay was the property is located close to the beach and accessible by walk. It's good for staying on sunny days who would prefer to spend most of the time on the beach. Bed were comfy.

• Family Room with Sea View

Bunk beds were not safe so my kids had to sleep on the floor, we were only there one night and didn’t want to make a fuss so we put the mattresses on the floor. Double bed was uncomfortable aswell. The hotel itself was nice and the staff were lovely.

Location and staff were lovely, breakfast was amazing.

• Small Double Room

Obviously reviews are very personal and subjective and although the basic level of service and cleanliness shouldn't be affected by the amount you pay they often are. Therefore, it was a pleasurable surprise having only paid £43 to be greeted by friendly, accommodating and helpful staff. The room, and hotel in general, was well decorated, bright, modern and clean. We ate in the onsite Italian restaurant and again were very surprised at the level of service and quality of food. They were even able to offer gluten free pasta options. Necessity brought us to Bournemouth and this hotel but we'd gladly return for a longer stay.

Parking was severely limited and at extra cost,the hotel was outdated and noisy with banging fire escape doors and loud weddings and the water pressure of the shower was horrendous.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and the hotel was right on top of the beach.

The attitude of the staff was somewhat to be desired. Not a good experience from the start when a staff member was rude to me on the phone, I emailed to highlight this and nothing was done to rectify the situation by way of any kind of apology. We sent a pint of Worthingtons back to the bar because it tasted off and rather than replace it straight away the bartender wanted to argue about it, another example of appalling attitude rather than customer service. The room was adequate although could do with updating, the basin was chipped, the showers water pressure was the same as pouring a half empty watering can. The toilet is loud when it refills and sound proofing in the rooms is terrible.

Location was good and the room had a sea view. Breakfast had a good selection.

The bathroom could of been cleaner. Hair left in shower and glass was water marked.

Italian based restaurant, the food was excellent. Good selection of pizza and pasta, but also main meals including fish, veal and chicken.

Where the bed was two singles pushed together it was occasionally uncomfortable so would’ve preferred the double room having a double bed. The car park was very small so we had to park on the road which isn’t necessarily a negative/fault of the hotel.

The room and the bathroom was lovely and very comfy/clean. Staff were lovely and kind. Beautiful view of the sea

The room was ok but the bed have both my partner and I bad backs. Parking was £8 per day at the actual hotel so not such a good deal.

The location was brilliant, inbetween Bournmouth and Boscombe Piers, walking distance to both.Staff were friendly and professional.

• Double Room with Sea View

The room was much smaller than I thought, and for a sea view room, you couldn't see the window from the bed, the room was a weird L shape making it very pokey. Bed seemed tiny also, and not that comfortable. Shower very small, but overall cleanliness of the room was good. Elevator is tiny! Didn't risk it so used the stairs. Plus NO POOL in this hotel, you have to go to the hotel next door to use theirs. Why no free parking either? With a bigger room or better layout, this would have been nice.

Location is great, staff were friendly, restaurant was nice, overall look of hotel is nice, managed to get a parking space

Bed was a bit hard (for me personally), heating is a bit out dated old radiator made the room a bit cold at times with no thermostat to turn it up

Nice Sea View from our room, Rooms were very clean.

• Standard Single Room

My room was a bit tired and the television was not tuned properly. The shower was in the bath and basic. I diidn't like the shower curtain.

Great location with sea views. Friendly staff. Breakfast was good with nice coffee.

Room got a little too hot and no thermostats to turn radiator down. Even with window wide open room was too hot.

That hotel was warm and cosy as typical wet cold day outside. Nice view from hotel and room as looked out to the sea.

• Family Room with Sea View

For the price I paid I was disappointed with the room, the bathroom had a weird petrol smell, a cracked sink, toilet seat and bath and the room was insanely hot with no way of controlling the room temperature. VERY poor access when you have a pram and a huge suitcase to lift up and down the entrance steps.

Staff were lovely however and location was ok.

• Small Double Room

The bed was a bit too hard for me. There was some sort of dripping noise from outside, possibly the guttering during the night too.

Very friendly welcoming staff and a spacious room with a lovely, clean bathroom. We Liked being able to go for a swim next door.

• Double Room with Sea View

I’ve stayed at the Cumberland a few times which is its other hotel next door and never had to pay for parking, I think that £8 for parking when parking is very limited and can never get a space is a bit steep.

• Premium Sea View Double

The heatng in the premium room was non-existent, and due to the extreme winds there was a constant draft. The shower was impossible to use as there was only a trickle coming out.

The breakfast was good, although the cooked breakfast was quite dried up. The view was very impressive.

• Small Double Room

The room was drafty. There is a major issue with the electrics in this hotel as they keep cutting out and we had to move rooms and then got the same issue in the new room. I highlighted that if their fuse fails they could be at risk of a fire as there is clearly an issue with the wiring. Disappointed that if you wanted to use pool and spa facilities you had to go to a neighbouring hotel which wasn't made clear when booking the hotel. There were holes in the floor so I tripped over a couple of times and the stairs are not all the same height and some steps move too much so you can easily loose your footing.

Good quality and selection of continental and full English breakfast. Good genuine welcome at reception and on arrival (very apologetic over issues we were facing). Staff friendly and helpful. Great view of the sea from the hotel window.

• Standard Single Room

the window fittings in the room need updating

Nice modern open feel to the hotel was an improvement on other similarly priced hotels. Nice food and the staff were excellent.

Very pleasant hotel with friendly staff but when waking up there was no hot water in the property so we could not shower and having paid for breakfast we found the cooked breakfast was warm at best.

• Double Room with Sea View

We had to move to 3 different rooms due to things going wrong. We moved to final room where then the door handle fell off and a leak in the window but we weren’t moving again due to allready moving 3 times.

Food was brilliant and staff very friendly

• Small Double Room

I had taken all my money out for the trip and when I got there they wanted a pre payment for anything that could of been broken etc, due to me taking all my money out I had to give a £50 deposit which left me with around £30-40 which did effect me and my boyfriend going out to places so I do think that it needs to be put on the website about this pre-authorsation payment as I would of left some money in my account for them to take it so I would of had more money for my stay

Staff were helpful, very clean, was given more tea and got chocolate throughout my stay

• Small Double Room

Breakfast not really hot enough, indoor pool not the best,

Croissants were indeed delicious, excellent selection of items, staff wonderful, beautiful location, pretty outdoor pool, sunny restaurant, lift a godsend, warm corridors.

• Double Room with Sea View

One of the window of my room is bit blury cuz of water between the glass.so i cant see the sea view clearly.other side of the window is fine

Overall excellent

• Small Double Room

The bed - too soft. But I am rather fussy!

Breakfast. Excellent choices for me (meat eater) and wife (vegetarian). Close to town. Also close to the University accommodation area - a plus for us given we were visiting our daughter.

• Double Room with Sea View

No croissants or cheese on either of the two days that we stayed although it's on the breakfast menu. Breakfast order got mixed up and me a vegetarian got a meat breakfast. Put a black jumper in our wardrobe and came out grey because so dusty.

Great view. Great location.cheap cocktails.

You could hear people in the next room clearly. Soundproofing needed.

Coffee was good on breakfast area. Also tea and coffee in room nice touch complimentary cookies hot chocolate. The spa toiletries were lovely. Unfortunately we didn't have time to use the spa facilities.

• Small Double Room

We had no hot water in the evening we couldn’t shower. Apparently an ongoing issue

Great location Staff were very friendly Food in restaurant was great Breakfast was good

• Double Room with Sea View

Free view Tv in room was a bit hit and miss but only used in the evenings so no big issue. Room needs pictures as the walls were all white which made it look like a doctors waiting room. Shower was pants no pressure. House keeping were great. Reception didn’t know simple things like what’s on the menu for an event they had planned and didn’t offer to help find out either. Parking was limited seems you can park at either hotel. No running cold water for most of our last day so was unable to make tea etc, bath or flush the toilet.reception had no offer of help or idea of when it was Likely to be back on.

Location was excellent

• Double Room with Sea View

Room was very small. Walls rather thin so could hear guests talking in the room next door as well as their tv

Room had a beautiful sea view. Very clean,comfortable and warm.

• Standard Twin Room

Bed wasn't the most comfortable. We had to change rooms as the bathroom light did not work.

Breakfast was very good, hotel looked like it had recently been updated

• Small Double Room

Extremely cold room: that is the main reason of my rate and makes my stay the worst which I ever had. Heaters were on, but- as this is very dated hotel- it wasn't enough. I took out a heater from wardrobe, but no difference. I couldn't sleep all night, I was 'hiding' under the duvet with sweats and sweatshirt whole night. Got up with pain around 6 to make a tea, just to warm up myself a bit. It's also my mistake: I didn't make a phone call to the reception (wasn't expecting any change after midnight if heaters "worked"...). Currently with a cold, throat pain, and terrible back pain rather than at work. I'm afraid even if staff was friendly and the room wasn't too expensive, that night- before very important meeting- was awful.

Staff friendly, lobby/bar lovely decor. Sauna and indoor pool available (unfortunately next door, what means a short walk with wet hair after using sauna/pool). Good location, quiet room.

• Small Double Room

Had a ‘Standard double room’ luckily I was staying on my own. The rooms are extremely small, struggled to walk around the bed. The decor in the room was a bit dated, maybe if they spent money on the rooms rather than the downstairs bar etc then maybe it would be okay. The location was okay was about a 15/20 min walk to the town centre/pier. My room was on the side of the hotel which was facing another hotels room so I had keep the curtains closed for privacy as I felt other people could see in my room. The bathroom was nice that’s about the only positive thing I can say I’m afraid. Bar prices were expensive £4.20 for a carling and I think it was about £5.50 for a peroni!! Won’t be staying again.

Not alot