Reviews of The Crown of Crucis Country Inn and Hotel 3 stars

Ampney Crucis, Cirencester, GL7 5RS, United Kingdom

#4 of 7 hotels in Cirencester

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Very big and comfy bed!

A couple of newspapers to read over breakfast would have been nice. A better selection of real ales please.

Very big and comfy bed! Friendly and helpful reception and breakfast staff.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Disappointing given the venue is stunning, came away disappointed & angry about the wine glass saga

Where do I start? The pillow was stained with bodily fluids and no protector, the staff had permanent miserable faces with nobody taking responsibility for complaints/issues (it's not good enough to say, write it down we'll pass it on to management when you've got an issue happening there and then). There were flies all over the breakfast buffet food, the evening meals were very average for the price, and to top the lot the bar man refused rudely to give me 2 wine glasses to take to my room, so that I could share a special bottle of champers with my husband (we were celebrating our anniversary and the bottle was a gift at our wedding) therefore, I couldn't buy this item from the bar.

The location was beautiful, such a shame that the customer service was such a let down.

Peaceful and quiet. Lovely food.Well done.

Safety needed for downstairs rooms. Not possible to open bedroom windows at night to gain ventilation for safety reasons. No emergency alarms in bathrooms. Grouting needed urgently for bathroom tiles to prevent mould.

Food excellent

Value for money

The breakfast was a big let down. The staff were not very helpful and the food was not as expected due to lack of understanding.

The bed was very comfy. The toiletries in the bathroom were very good and refilled every day. The reception staff were friendly and helpful.

Good choice worth the money.

Was nothing really only one thing the lights outside was on all night so lit our bedroom up too much for us but apart from that it was a perfect stay for both of us.

Just to be able to chill out after a lovely day and have a meal in a cosy restaurant (Steaks was cooked perfect ) As we was celebrating my wife's 65th birthday Nice location and helpful staff.

Relaxing and peaceful

Shame about room service charge not explained. Sandwiches not provided on a Sunday which was not indicated on menu or room notes. Otherwise everything was excellent

Everything was really excellent, except charge made for room service. This was not shown on any information sheet provided, I had to pay £8.99 for a small bowl of chips, due to added charge

Disappointment with restaurant food and service

The noise of the floorboards in the room above meant we were woken in the night when the guests went to the toilet and early when they got up. We got moved but it was still noisy

Excellent hotel to stay a few days, food good and plentiful, beds and bedrooms comfy and had what yo

Should have been some board games for the evening, the lounge was hardly used, but it was a good facility.

All round excellent, for a base for motoring around the Cotswolds, food was excellent and plentiful, room was pleasant, beds were comfy. Staff were very helpful, cheerful, not enough staff if busy. Menu for dinner was good, so didn't need to go elsewhere

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Based on our stay I would recommend this hotel

Slight lapse in security. While we were out decorators had been in and painted the window sill. Door was propped open when we returned leaving our belongings insecure. Front staff did apologise when I raised the matter. No harm done.

Beds were comfortable, all areas were squeaky clean, pleasant river flowing by at the rear, nice outside area to sit and have a drink.

Luxury hotel that’s worth every penny

Had to wait a few minutes before any staff could check us in but that could of been because we arrived late afternoon

Beautiful hotel, the room was big with the view of the stream right outside the window. The breakfast was cooked very well, staff were very polite.

A very pleasant stay and we hope return.

The inability, on this occasion, to make an Irish coffee. After the waiter took it back (reluctantly), I ordered a brandy instead. However, the Irish coffee was added to my bill and I refused to pay for it, it was, therefore deducted from my bill, again reluctantly. A pity, as our meals were superb.

The evening meal and breakfast were very good. The room and the location were fine also. Service at breakfast time was excellent.

Good value hotel ideally positioned

Service was a bit hit and miss at breakfast time ( cold toast, instant decaff coffee, long wait for milk and toast, no fruit left, no hot chocolate for kids) but the choice of breakfast food was good . Wouldn’t have wanted to stay in the rooms at the front of the hotel that faced the main road

Clean hotel, great value and ideally positioned for exploring the Cotswolds . Nice rooms at the back of the hotel over looking a small river and fields

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Nice overnight in pleasant surroundings

Beers on tap were disappointing. One was not available and the other was warm and weak. Not for beer lovers unless you are OK with bottles, good choice of bottled beers.

Lovely ambience in the old part of the building. Food including breakfast was good and good value. Lovely setting.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Nice Inn in Cirencester

Breakfast service can be slow.

The Inn is located in a good position on the main road to Cirencester. There is a large parking area for Inn guests (you have to provide you plate number for registration). The room was nice, confortable with a big bathroom. WIFI excellent in the room.

Liked the hotel with good food even if a bit pricey.

Weekends may have wedding receptions. Can involve noisy children especially in rear courtyard onto which the rooms open. This noise can go on after 10pm despite a polite notice asking that there is no significant noise after 10pm.

Nice location with helpful staff.

Staff on the first morning were brilliant couldn’t do enough...

Staff on the first morning were brilliant couldn’t do enough for you but on the second morning change of staff and a language barrier had to ask twice for a simple request

Enjoyed every minute of it.

I loved it all. There was not anything that I could be critical of during my stay.

The setting was typically Cotswolds. Absolutely stunning. There was a wedding on on the weekend and the grounds and surrounds were picture perfect.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

The peace and quiet.

Having to leave!

The peace and quiet. Being able to hear the brook through our bedroom window throughout the night and the relaxed ambiance the staff and other guests gave during our stay. The food was marvellous.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Very relaxing few days

A lovely hotel situated in the Cotswolds, staff are friendly and welcoming with lovely views. The food and service was also very good, staff couldn’t do enough for you. Would definitely return at some point.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Great Hotel - Toilet issues

The main issue with my room was that the toilet was broken so I was unable to flush it. I went to use the toilets in the main lobby and the handle on the main door was loose and fell off! I struggled to get the handle back on and open the door so I was concerned I would be stuck in the toilets! I did report this to the receptionist and she said that she would tell the owner. Apart from the toilet issues everything else was good!

The hotel was in a very convenient location being just about 10-15 minutes from the heart of the Cotswolds - Cirencester so it was a good base to travel around. Good wi-if connection and lots of parking. The food at the restaurant was of very good quality and there was seating outside in the garden which was nice when the weather was good. The staff were very polite and friendly and I liked that they had printed maps of the Cotswolds and Cirencester along with leaflets for other activities in the lobby.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Tour the south Cotswolds

it was all fine. there was nothing to dislike even though our window opened onto the outside seating area. People were not noisy.

This is a comfy and well run hotel based in an ideal place to tour the South Cotswolds. We shall definitely go back for a longer stay. Local walks were mapped out for us as well. We didn't eat in the evening but the breakfast was fine. the village was a lovely place to walk round. e shall return and use this as a base to tour the South Cotswolds.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Functional, though prices of food a little over priced, but then thats the same for this whole area

I was surprised as the rooms are not air conditioned that portable electric fans where not available, especially given the current heat wave we are experiencing being now more than 4-5 weeks into it, with a 2nd heat wave due for a similar duration period. A basic item that should be made available

Disappointed and over priced

Food was only average. Bathroom was tired and had mould in the grout. Plastic shower curtain is old hat. Chipped bath. Dated shower system. Toilet brush very dirty and worn. (Potential health hazard?) No decafinated tea or coffe in the room.

Attractive building with good size room. Bar area OK as was restaurant. Good parking area.

The location is excellent and the view from the room was...

There was a very loud wedding going on opposite the room which went on til late. The breakfast wasn't great for vegetarians. They don't provide cots so we had to put up our own.

The location is excellent and the view from the room was great.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Good value. Breakfast shortcomings made up for by friendly staff.

Service at breakfast wasn't very efficient. One breakfast order muddled and no toast appeared.

Friendly staff. Very good value for b&b. Bar food prices reasonable.

We have stayed here before, back in November 2017. On that occasion the staff were really friendly and helpful. On this occasion the lady on reception clearly couldn't care less. Even when I asked her what time breakfast was she looked at me as if it really were too much trouble to answer me. We had hoped check-out would be 11am but were informed it was 10:30. There was no suggestion that we might be able to stay for an extra half an hour and, as there was a wedding on the next day, there was no realistic way I could sit with my luggage and 2 dogs in reception for half an hour. Not particularly helpful. The restaurant on our last visit had been quiet and again, nothing had been too much trouble. On this occasion it was very busy and we felt as though we were on a treadmill, being processed. I had the distinct impression they'd rather we weren't there. Finally, the room was extremely hot. There was no movement of air, even with the windows open. A fan had not been provided. We may have to return this autumn as we need to be in the area and there are not that many dog-friendly places available. I hope, if we do, that our experience will be as per our first visit and not this most recent one.

The hotel is dog-friendly and there are lots of fields and footpaths surrounding the property in which to walk dogs. Walking around the village is a pleasure as it is extremely picturesque.

As it was our anniversary NOT HAPPY

No cake or light meal when we got to hotel .was told when we ordered evening meal if we wanted starter and main we would have to eat in side it was a lovely evening and we wanted to eat out side IT WAS OUR Anniversary that's why we came away then in morning we waited half hour before any one took our order so not happy very upset Bed was hard and uncomfortable so again not happy

The receptionist on Monday was lovely and helpful we could not find hotel so phoned and she told us how to get there she had 2 glasses cold water waiting for us as we had a long journey AND the food in evening was nice

Very comfortable and clean.

Would definitely recommend staying here but not eating in the restaurant. Breakfast was good but the evening meal was poor.

Very comfortable room overlooking pretty river. Temperature of room perfect for a good nights sleep.

Beautiful clean hotel.

The bar staff weren't overly friendly, plus my meal in the evening wasn't great for the price.

Beautiful clean hotel. Great location, good value for money.

Ok, but needs a lot of training, and a strong mamagement style to build it from ok to great!

staff and management attitude, bad breakfast, noise first thing from staff waking me up (07.00), terrible communications (basically none), flies in the restaurant, canned fruit, cold toast, cold coffee....... no apologies, no asking if i was ok, or if i enjoyed the experience or if my meal was ok. given the brush off in e-mail communications.

comfortable beds, nice view

Mostly disappointed

1) After a nap I noticed the bedsheet had multiple blood spot stains on it :-( I asked for a replacement and it was replaced. 2) I booked this hotel a few months in advance, with a request to check out at 3pm as we need to go back to shower before leaving, this request was accepted by an email from the hotel. Upon arrival, I double checked with the receptionist on our late check out request, it was accepted. On our last day, the hotel started calling me in the early afternoon, I couldn't answer as I was in an obstacle run competition. After calling back and in the end presented the original emails from their colleagues, the hotel accepted that they made a mistake while they don't normally accept late checkouts. As their cleaners have already left and they can't sell the rooms anymore, we had to pay a late check out fee for both rooms (£40) on top of this expensive stay (£234 for 2 rooms), but when we went back to the rooms we realised the rooms were already made and cleaned up.

There's a very pretty river with a family of ducks besides the hotel, it's very calming.

This was a pleasant stop-over in a lovely position.

The restaurant staff could have been more cheerful and friendly - they did their job but no more.

We liked the rural setting with the brook and fields behind visible from our bedroom window. We also liked the central courtyard and layout. Reception staff were pleasant and helpful.

Would come again

We had such a high opinion after the service on the Sunday that it was very disappointing when we came for breakfast on the Monday. Staff not very happy and when we asked for a pot of tea we had to repeatedly ask (only a small issue but it just let things down) Another small issue was the bath in room 5 was very slippy

We stayed on Sunday 15th until Monday 16th 2018. The service we received on the Sunday was outstanding. We came back from the RIAT and ordered our meal. We were welcomed and the service was fantastic, including the food. The staff were friendly and happy during the day and especially the evening on the Sunday. I came with my father and husband so had two rooms. Lovely rooms, clean and beautiful view

My ideal idea of a country inn

Nothing I can really think of criticise.

Location is wonderful next the river. In the room we were not aware of any traffic noise. The building has 400 years history as a hostelry. The food is excellent. The hotel has wonderful eclectic decoration and the bar shows the history of oldest part of hotel.

lovely little hotel with a beautiful stream running along...

lovely little hotel with a beautiful stream running along side! The food and drink are great and the staff in general are all very helpful. The owner is a little standoffish...

Would stay there again, great location and staff

See above

Great location, great staff, good room Minus points - bathroom needs updating, needs power shower & get rid of the the shower curtain! My elderly wife could not have a shower as it was over a bath with no wall handle. In this day and age should have the choice of a walk in shower. The hotel public rooms were very smart. However the food did not match decor, only adverage.

Decidedly uncomfortable

The stay was spoiled totally by the heat of the room. Yes, it is a hot summer, no problem there, but this was sweltering (dangerously hot, frankly)! So, open the window, you say... sadly there was an impressively powerful security spotlight directly above the window, beckoning every insect in the county to our window, so we could not open it! The security light also meant that, despite curtains, it was daylight all night in the room. Avoid room 19 in summer!

It was a very well appointed and presented hotel in lovely surroundings. Very comfortable bed and nice sized room

Really lovely setting, not quite matched by the service.

Breakfast was somewhat lacking in variety of choice. Our drinks order in the evening was overlooked. The staff seemed to lack a little in motivation. The price of the room was on the high side - I guess we were paying for the view.

The setting by the stream was lovely. Our room overlooked the stream and the cricket ground beyond.

Nothing detrimental I would thoroughly recommend.

Air-.con would have made it perfect , but we had three days of 30c!!!

Great experience all aound. Exceptional staff and a warm family feel. Definitely an eating house rather than drinkers pub but you can't have everything. Excellent food, .....calves liver the tastiest meal I can remember..ever.

Brilliant stay in the Cotswolds inn and hotel.

To be honours there wasn't anything we didn't like about the place.

We like that from the moment we checked in to the crown of Crucis country inn and hotel you had a welcome arrival,staff there was very friendly,nothing was too much trouble,the rooms was clean to a good standard,Food was lovely,I have to say we didn't have any complains,when we asked the lady on the desk any ideas where to go she was only to happy to help,we sat in the gardens of an evening by the river it was so peaceful,we will definitely be going back again. Love it Thank you all for making us feel so welcome x

A very friendly and clean place to stay. Ideal for exploring the lovely Cotswolds.

Everything was fine, nothing not to like.

The room was clean, overlooking lovely countryside. We ate lunch and dinner there, met up with friends and enjoyed it all.

E pensive rooms, expensive food and drinks, nice staff

Toilet not flushed so full of urine from previous guest. That made me wonder if toilet had even been cleaned so got soap and water and cleaned toilet seat myself just in case- at £94 per night I don’t expect to have to clean my own toilet.

That it accepts dogs, the riverside seating area, size of room

The hotel has a meditanian feel and the room we had has...

The cleanes of the bath let it all down a bit, there was a year's of build up hair in the bath. Things like that make me wonder of the over all cleanes of the hotel.

The hotel has a meditanian feel and the room we had has wonderful country views over the river.

Lovely location and nice room with very comfy bed. Food good both in the evening and at breakfast.

The bar/dining room staff were not quite as attentive as they could have been, for example, sometimes had to chase stuff we had ordered or we got given tea at breakfast and had to ask for milk. Just little things but it is that sort of attention to detail that separates good places from very good.

The location, the village, the bed, the view from our room and the breakfast were all fab. Ladies on reception lovely and very welcoming and hotel was nicely laid out and furnished.

Lovely cosy clean and quiet room, beautiful riverside garden...

Restaurant a bit expensive, and not too many options on the menu, but the food we ordered was lovely.

Lovely cosy clean and quiet room, beautiful riverside garden, beautiful location, excellent food. Highly recommended!

Lovely place clean

Not much choice for food if you only eat fish or chicken can't eat fish in batter or potatoes would be nice if they did sweet potatoes

Bed was lovely breakfast ok

I would come again

The room was bit dark becauese it has only a small window to the inside of the hotel

The breakfast was good, staff very friendly, very clean. The place of the hotel central for any events like walking, visiting gardens and castles...

relaxed and the staff could not do enough for you.

nothing everything was great.

The hotel is in a lovely setting, our room over looked the river, it was clean and comfortable. We didn't have an evening meal because we were visiting relatives, but we did have breakfast which was excellent. We are hoping to stay again later in the year.

Beautiful setting but request a room overlooking the stream...

The restaurant let the place down,food could have been a lot better.The lass that checked us in could not smile even if her life depended on it

Beautiful setting but request a room overlooking the stream,ours overlooked the beer garden and was noisy.

Generally a comfortable stay, would return.

Nobody on reception when we arrived - had to seek them out, no bell Toilet partially blocked on morning of departure. Response from receptionist - no apology, just laughed, which made my wife feel uncomfortable.

Clean and modern, Restaurant staff polite and attentive, food excellent.

Pricing needs adjustment.

1. Breakfast service was abrupt. Choice of 5 cooked meals so full English is costed at same as Kippers or poached egg on muffins (essentially Eggs Benedict), but when we requested a sausage with our EB we were told “I should charge you extra for the sausage.........”! Felt like we were being shooed out as soon as possible. 2. Two rooms. Same price, but one had a King bed and one a 3/4. What’s up with that?

Lovely welcome and staff happy to move me on request. Beautiful location on the river. Food was good too. Lovely decor. Plenty of parking.

Lovely location and friendly staff but disappointing food and bar closes far too early!

I was disappointed by the evening meal. I didn't think it was as good quality as I was expecting. I was also disappointed to find out the bar shut at 10.30pm and wasn't even open to residents. It seemed very early for a Saturday night and we were celebrating a birthday. Sadly this would put me off booking this hotel again.

The hotel is in a lovely spot on the river, it is very clean and well looked after. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was really good with plenty of choice and good quality ingredients. Our room had a decent sized bed and lovely views over the river.

Lovely rooms and outside area.

Poor service everywhere but reception, for example bar and restaurant area. We complained along with some other customers after breakfast the first day and actually didn’t even bother going for breakfast the next day and avoided drinks/ dinner there. Upon leaving we repeated our feelings as we felt it really let down an otherwise lovely hotel. We felt this was not adequately acknowledged.

Lovely rooms and outside area.

Wouldn't reccomend, very dissapointed

I had high hopes about this property but straight away on the arrival found check in very unprofessional and rude. I am over 7 months pregnant and asked for the quiet room on a higher floor, noone even replied to my email and I was given the room that was facing a bar outside and i could hear people with closed windows, I could also hear the neighbors above and next door. Found Receptionist very unhelpful and rude, will not stay here again. First night stayed in another place and absolutely loved everything about it so will be going back to that place.

Fabulous hotel and garden.

Perfect..no problems

The setting with the stream at rear of hotel was so peaceful..a very special place....hotel was lovely..staff very friendly..had a steak meal in the beer garden..food was served very quickly and was excellent. Will definitely return.

excellent value, clean well presented. Would definately love to stay again.

we especially liked the pretty setting of the inn. It has a very lovely feel about the whole establishment. Everyone was very pleasant and helpful at the inn. The room was very fresh and clean, supplied with bathroom toiletries. Even though busy the lady working behind the bar had time to have a little chat about the day. we would thoroughly recommend the inn to people wishing for a excellent place to stay, all this for a very reasonable price.

Wonderful value Cotswold package

We liked the property. Extra sockets at top of bed would be good. No lift. Food good but not cheap.

Good location with River view and garden by it. Breakfast included was added value. Competent staff. The price for the night was v good value when we stayed.

Prices have gone up over time as to be expected so was really pleased to get this value booking.

I've stayed here before and had trouble using my mobile. Last time it worked when I stood in the car park and this time I managed to send a text message by putting the phone out of the window, so it just might be the location of the rooms I had been in this time and before. Not sure if there is a cure, just a comment and overall not an insurmountable problem.

Good location, even though on crossroads not a lot of noise. Pretty garden.

A bit bland in decor, like a chain hotel. Restaurant morning and evening under-staffed: kind but forgetful and inefficient.

Comfort. Clean. Good beds.

Except for noisy central heating, everything was fine.

Noisy central heating system all through the night, which switched itself off at 7 a.m. Ahh! Peace at last!

System, staff, facilites, environment, rooms, grassy area, carpark, price.

A beautiful setting outside Cirencester, worth considering.

Outstanding in most ways; some noise of noisy footsteps overhead, not too soundproofed. Virtually no noise from outside and the setting, by a creek with a bridge and baby ducks, was beautiful. Good service and food.

Nice hotel, great location, can get busy but would stay again

Rooms are a bit small - hotel was busy so service was a little slow

Nice little hotel in a great location - quite and peaceful had everything we needed

Average.

In the 21st century a proper vegetarian breakfast would be nice with at least a veggie sausage substitute for the bacon and sausage, not minus the meat and that's your lot! More than two tiny slices of toast would be nice without having to ask for more, I took butter from another table as I had none. Only marmalade at the table, not the usual miniature pots selection. First day my order for breakfast was lost so sat there for 15 minutes watching other people being served. Eventually I opened the kitchen door and requested my breakfast, apologies were given.

OK clean standard facilities, nothing special.

The hotel was okay.

Bathroom dated and tv very small. Overall appearance of room a little tired.

The hotel was okay.Room very tired and bathroom ready for a refurbishment. Not great value for money. Food in the bar was very good though and the location is great. Potential to be a great small hotel but needs some money spending on the rooms.

Disappointed

Bedroom was dark due to small window, only brighter when lights were on. Both bedroom and bathroom need a complete overhaul as look dull and dated. Cost of room I thought was expensive for what we got.

We booked hotel because it was near a friends 60th birthday party venue. The pictures and reviews online seemed good.

We were looking for a comfortable hotel with parking near Cirencester and this was ideal.

The breakfast whilst quite satisfactory would benefit from an update in terms of the quality of the bread and the sausages.

The room was quiet and airy. The bar was good and with well kept beers.

Good value for money and it matched the description given

Bar food adequate rather than exciting

A large and comfortable room with an excellent outlook. Staff very prompt to sort out any problems. Easy access and parking.

A very clean, well situated hotel - close to Cirencester,...

A very clean, well situated hotel - close to Cirencester, very friendly staff, extensive restaurant menu and food was amazing and very well presented and reasonably priced. I would be very happy to stay there again and highly recommend it.

A relaxing break here and overall would definitely recommend.

Plumbing in room needed attention - warm water running through cold tap! Waited a long time to be served for breakfast.

Lovely ambience, staff very friendly, food very good and well presented

Good but let down in wrong bill

Receptionist needs training on how to amend and process the bill.

The bill was wrong and took x3 visits to reception to final get it right then the receptionist did have the knowledge to amend, the whole process took over an hour of waiting.

Beautiful setting, very friendly staff, nice rooms

We booked a meal and enjoyed the food but were disappointed that another customer had dogs near our table

Beautiful setting, very friendly staff, nice rooms

Location and facilities met our requirements .

Thankful we were at back of property otherwise would have been noisy.

Very friendly staff especially in the restaurant. Bedroom comfortable overlooking the river. Evening meal very good.

The surroundings were beautiful, and the riverside garden...

It was fairly expensive for the room, with a party at the venue being quite noisy.

The surroundings were beautiful, and the riverside garden was lovely

We left within two hours of check in

I brought my husband here for his birthday without our kids. Instead of a romantic weekend away, we felt like wedding crashers. We arrived in the morning and was told to come back and check in at 3. Unfortunately, this was when the bride arrived and the champagne reception was in Reception! So we were checking in in the middle of the wedding. We were feeling awkward and the bride looked stressed. We side stepped to the room and felt both uncomfortable and trapped. It's a small hotel so there really is no privacy. After 2 hours of sitting and drinking in our room, we cut our loses and left. As we had to pay at check in, the hotel are not refunding us and have offered us money off our next stay. No thank you The Crown of Crucis.

The room was nice but not enough to stay.

The grounds, the facilities to use within your room and...

The grounds, the facilities to use within your room and within the hotel were lovely. Very clean and tidy. The staff were very friendly, always asked if we were okay, and made sure we were aware of breakfast times etc.. The food served at breakfast was also very good, and very well presented. There was a lovely/large range of cereals and fruits. There was also a menu you could choose from for your breakfast also. The cooks would tend to all your needs, and our food came out nice and hot!