Reviews of The Down Inn 4 stars

Ludlow Road, Bridgnorth, WV16 6UA, United Kingdom

#4 of 15 hotels in Bridgnorth

Great location. Fabulous food. Staff helpful and friendly. Large comfortable bed. Easy access room has a large wet room. Superb breakfast. Owner Steve very helpful.

An excellent country inn with good facilities for guests. The evening carvery meal was excellent and the breakfast was very good. All round a good score of 10 out of 10.

No complaints.

Very friendly, welcoming staff who met requests promptly with a smile. Comfortable bed in a lovely room and a delicious breakfast cooked to order. Couldn’t ask for better really!

Nothing to not like. If I’m really picky the TV was small.

The rooms were large and well furnished. The bathroom was clean and a really good, strong, hot shower. The breakfast was really good and the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient.

I booked a twin room for myself and my partner but unfortunately my partner had to go to a wedding so on this occasion didn't come with me on this occasion which was for a reunion. I was still charged the full rate for bed and breakfast for two people even though one of us couldn't stay the night even though I changed the booking before arrival. Apart from that everything was perfect.

The room was excellent and the dining area in the restaurant was excellent also. The bar was excellently stocked with local real ales and other drinks and prices were as expected for an inn like this. Staff were friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. The room had a television and also wifi throughtout the Inn and my room have plenty of plug sockets if you needed to recharge your phone or tablet etc

Stayed here before, always excellent. Food very good, staff really professional and at the same time friendly. Rooms big, well-maintained, and somehow all within easy reach of the door from the car park, so easy to bring in luggage.

Everything thought of so nothing.

We were absolutely delighted with the Down Inn to the extent that we booked it for return visit! The staff were very welcoming, a lovely old pub, bedrooms and bathroom excellent with very comfortable beds and perfectly clean. Big choice of evening menu was excellent value and busy but enjoyable ambience great. Staff did brilliant job on such busy evenings. I would not hesitate to highly recommend this place to anyone and will certainly return on our fairly frequent trips to Wales. Thank you for a great stay!

the room was obviously near to the kitchen and I could hear 'machinery', could have been dish washer, or even just central heating but it did not stop me sleeping.

Welcome was friendly. Meal excellent and service good. Breakfast was good. Was only there for one night but would recommend the Inn for future use. Staff were very friendly and the place was busy and had a good atmosphere.

Room was a little cold and radiator wasn’t on in bedroom though ensuite was very warm

Good food, comfortable large bed and room, in quiet scenic location

The carvery was outstanding and the breakfast was lovely with all fresh produce. The staff were friendly and helpful with any requests. Our bedroom was large and very nicely decorated (as is the whole hotel).

Maybe some more lounge areas rather than all tables

Food was lovely..staff were warm friendly and helpful..surroundings and room very comfortable and setting picturesque.

Noise from 60th Birthday Party downstairs - fortunately this finished relatively early. Door to Room 8 makes a noise if andraft is present.

Large comfortable room, great traditional restaurant with carvery, good location and superb staff.

Temperature of the room & of the restaurant in the morning when we were having breakfast

We were really pleased with the room, the only thing was that it felt very cold.

There wasn't anything we didn't like.

The whole experience from start to finish was amazing. Staff,food and room all exceeded our expectations. We couldn't have asked for more.

Only negative would be the view of the back of the kitchen and hotel but hey by the time we arrived we closed the curtains and it didn't matter.

The Down Inn is a wonderful English pub. The decor could be viewed as old fashioned but the evening meal was of outstanding quality and the breakfast was fabulous. I stop in hotels all over the UK and abroad and this full English was one of the best! A compliment coming from me as I normally take one look and don't bother! Room was huge, bed was very comfy. Staff are very attentive and polite. The location is a few minutes from Bridgnorth if you want to visit the town.

Thought the price was a few pounds higher than we were looking to pay but not much else locally to compete with. have stayed in 4star hotels for the same price

Chosen as we attended a wedding locally, surprised by the rooms nice quality and very clean I missed Breakfast as I had a meeting but the wife was impressed, would stay again if we needed to be in the area. Unlimited hot water and nice bathroom complimentary products.

Nothing really, smell of food from the kitchen to our room but not really a problem

Our room was excellent, very clean and we especially liked the large bath. Loved the log fire

Only one minor issue, very noisy floorboards in bedroom!

Great atmosphere - traditional English country inn. Nice size room and bed, bedroom and bathroom both spotlessly clean. Great food, quality and quantity, for both carvery dinner and full English breakfast.

Nothing negative

Fantastic traditional inn with welcoming staff, great food and wonderful beers. The rooms are really comfortable and spotlessly clean. Comfortable bed too! Breakfast was first rate. I always return if ever in the area.

I was happy with everything. Thank you!

The room was lovely. A good size with excellent facilities. Clean, warm, and the bed was extremely comfortable! The room had a bath, which was a treat and it was peaceful and quiet, so i got a good nights sleep!

Nothing really, decor inside very traditional and could perhaps do with some more local-related artwork – maybe from local artists/craftspeople?

Excellent breakfast of proper (local?) sausages and bacon. Excellent carvery with large choice of veggies including creamed leeks, cauli cheese etc so something for everyone. Real local Ale. Real fire! Easy-going, relaxed atmosphere. Very friendly lady running the show with great staff.

The rudeness of the manager! Your in the wrong job!!

Rooms were beautiful, very clean and the bed was so comfy! The staff however were quite miserable apart from the one very friendly lady who was on when we checked in and served us at breakfast ( didn't get there name) The guy who I presume was the manager lacks people skills and manners! Breakfast was lovely, great choice!

Nothing, it was a great stay. I would go again and I think that says everything really.

One of those 'what a find!' pubs with rooms. Great staff who couldn't do enough - even sang happy birthday to my husband - and just wanted us to relax and enjoy yourselves. As well as a bumper breakfast, they do a fantastic carvery from 6pm onwards on a weeknight for less than a tenner each. the place is immaculate too, with a roomy bedroom and high quality bits and bobs about the place. All in all, worth every penny!

Everything was really excellent

Really nice room, excellent food, very attentive and helpful staff and excellent value for money. Could not ask for more

Nothing...

Excellent food freshly cooked, Lovely helpful staff, nice location, clean and well decorated accommodation, slept well in a comfortable bed. I will be back I am sure.

Pillows not supportive enough. Duvet too thick and heavy.

Excellent stay in a very quiet area. Large room with a bath as opposed to a shower. Excellent carvery (much as you can eat and more) every day and wonderful breakfasr. Staff were very friebdly and helpful. Comfy bed. Ample free parking on site.

Pillows and quilt as mentioned above.

The pillows did not support your head even though I used two and the quilt was too heavy. A light (feather or down) quilt would have been preferable although I understand the allergy bit, otherwise the bed was comfy. Lovely spacious room with a bath ( I hate showers). Great carvery with as much food as you could possibly eat and fantastic breakfast. Am a regular user of this Inn and will return.

The service from the moment we walked through the door was exceptional. The staff were all very friendly and the food was wonderful. We talked about going back just for dinner, and we live over 200 miles away. Absolutely delighted - what a find. Thank you for a wonderful stay

It's a bit away from Bridgnorth

Clean, comfortable and stylish room with a great made-to-order breakfast. Convenient, large and free parking. Helpful and polite staff, nice selection of tea and coffee supplies in the room. Rural and quiet location with a morning view on a COW.

The choice of name (Down) as it is all very much up.

Varied menu that was always extremely well cooked no matter whether it was dinner or breakfast, fish or meat. A well stocked bar with good ale and a large well equipped bedroom with a very comfortable bed. All staff make you feel welcome and special.

There are no local taxis to come and collect from this Inn, you have to book one in well in advance.

The buffet breakfast, the cleanliness and the decor.

They couldn’t do more for us with helping with our one year old daughter. The cot was set up in our room even with a little pillow in which I thought was lovely and they allowed us to use their fridge to store her milk. Nothing was too much trouble and we felt very well looked after. Thank you x

Mattress was a little hard for me, but then I’m used to a very soft mattress at home.

The cooked breakfast was very good. My wife is nearly always disappointed. Not this time. The smoked salmin with scrambled egg with a freshly made croissant. All served by staff who really cared if you enjoyed it!

There is no lift, not an issue for us but wheelchair users/restricted mobility guests should check before booking. While my partner was fine with the firm mattress it was uncomfortable for me.

A warm welcome and we especially enjoyed the extensive breakfast menu, cooked fresh to order. Staff were all friendly and pleased to help. The hotel is popular for evening carvery and dining.

To find anything to criticise, I'll have to be very picky. The girl who showed me to my room should have told me the breakfast time and checkout time. Also, when I arrived and found myself behind the crowds going into the restaurant, it wasn't immediately clear I could check in at the bar.

Although they were incredibly busy ( I asked a waitress, she said they serve 500 dinners on a Sunday evening), they still got everything right, and were really welcoming, friendly and efficient. The food was really good, the bed comfortable, the room a reasonable size, well designed and well maintained. The layout made it easy to bring heavy suitcases from the car to my room. Checkout time was 11 a.m., later than in many places, very welcome as I had had late nights recently.

We were made very welcome and our room was very spacious and comfy, the restaurant was excellent and the breakfast was great we would go there again

Bathroom was small but rest of the bedroom was spacious & comfortable.

Carvery was excellent, best I've ever had, perfectly located for trips to Bridgnorth, Ironbridge & Ludlow. Plenty of parking at rear of the inn for residents.

the rooms and bed really large and comfy the staff excellent friendly nothing too much trouble and the food was excellent and good value i would recommend this hotel to friends and family

Room was quite warm and if we had stayed for longer we may have requested a fan (not a major problem)

Shown to our lovely sized room. Convenient rear door to car park so no long journeys with suitcases. Superb choice of tasty food in the spacious restaurant. Amazing breakfasts. We will return.

We stayed here after visiting Bridgnorth. There was a good crowd of people coming and going visiting the hotel restaurant - a good sign. The room was comfortable. As it was a Sunday, a carvery was offered by the restaurant. This was excellent - delicious, pink, tender roast beef with crunchy roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings and a good selection of vegetables. We shared a good selection of cheeses to end a lovely meal. Breakfast was plentiful and excellent. There was a good selection of fresh fruit and cereals. The bacon and sausage were of excellent quality and the TWO poached eggs had deep yellow yolks. A good place to stay on your travels around Shropshire.

nothing it was just superb,

This is in a beautiful countyside setting and the staff were all very helpful , the view alone from my bedroom would be sufficient reason to return again anytime.

Nothing, everything was fine.

Staff were welcoming and friendly. The food was excellent and great value for money. Good selection of wine and ales. Bedrooms spacious and very comfortable bed.

Nothing to dislike.

Staff extremely helpful, ensuring we had a table in a very busy resturaunt. Room very comfortable with good views over the countryside. A good selection of ales. We left a hanger of clothes in the room and on contacting the Inn they have promised to send it on to us.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

there war nothing to dislike

staff could not do enough the whole weekend was fantastic. can not praise the staff , the property, the location , enough . will certainly stay there again

Na

Friendly staff the countryside and carvery restaurant at hotel as well easy access at back to rooms if you didn't want to go through the bar area.

The hotel was excellent, staff very welcoming on arrival and throughout the stay. Good parking facilities, room was beautiful very clean and comfortable could not fault it. We had evening meals and breakfast in the hotel good selection of meals, fantastic carvery and lovely freshly cooked breakfast. Would definitely recommend it is a little out of the way but that didn't bother us as we used the hotel as a starting location for visiting the steam train experience in Bridgenonorth so location was perfect for that.

Evening bar/waitress staff were not attentive at all. Had to look for staff to give an order, had hot tea spilled over me as we were served.

Very compy room and bathroom, good size, very clean. Good choice of food, tasty and priced well. Breakfast waitress was great.

Our only complaints. No that's too strong. The only issues we had were that the room could have benefited from a fridge, i.e to keep water, food etc cold. Also the TVs are set too high on the wall and indeed too small but that's just us maybe.

The staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was excellent, just what we wanted. The bed was very comfortable and extra large. The food surpassed all expectations, very nice and plenty of it. Prices were very good for food and drink....

Entrance to the hotel needs a little tidy up and the garden seating area at the front of the hotel had cigarette butts all over the floor. It would not take much to clean these up and add just a little extra to the hotel stay.

The evening Carvery was excellent. My wife and I are both vegetarians and the nut roast was superb. Comes highly recommended.

The inn is in the middle of the countryside , you need a car.

There is a huge car park, the room was comfortable and quiet despite a large party downstairs. It was very clean and the menu was classic and there was a carvery. Very close to lovely Bridgnorth and Ludlow.

Second chair in bedroom and an extra shelf in bathroom for toiletries etc.

All the food was excellent and the carvery was so generous. Very good value for money.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

The carpet on the landing and stairs should be renewed and a smooth surface on the car park would be an improvement, though not essential.

A comfortable room and bathroom and nice food. No airs and graces so excellent value for money

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Not being able to stay longer!

The staff are so helpful and friendly. I have mobility problems but the whole place was easily accessible for me. The food is an added bonus... excellent, delicious, and would highly recommend stopping for a meal there if you are passing. Breakfast was excellent too. Liked EVERYTHING. The bed was comfortable too. Lovely part of the country and the view were stunning.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

There was a friendly welcome when we arrived and the room was spacious, comfortable and clean. The food was excellent and even on a mid week night the place was busy, this is testament to its continued popularity. We old certainly stay again in th future.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Everything about the Down Inn was fantastic. Very nice comfortable room with ensuite facility. The staff were absolutely great and nothing was too much trouble to accomodate your needs. We were there for an Army Reunion and had a room to ourselves with an excellent carvery and a bar. Having stayed there last year it was just as enjoyable then as it was when we stayed on 12th May 2017. We have immediately booked for next year and we are looking forward to it very much for next years reunion.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

My partner is allergic to feathers, so had to change pillows, but wasn't a problem

Large comfy bedroom, very comfy bed, Food was excellent with a good choice at breakfast. Good variety for evening meals available with good size portions.

Very good value. Excellent breakfast, best ever black pudding, and carvery good with massive choice of veg. My room was wonderfully adapted to the needs of a handicapped person, not that I needed it. Comfortable bed. Easily adjustable heating.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Lack of choice on the menu.

The room was very well appointed and comfortable with a large bath and shower over. The food was plain and simple but excellent, we were very happy.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

There was nothing I didn't like. A couple of things maybe I'd do...if it was my place!! * Give customers their own souvenir hare coat hook! * Maybe a tassimo coffee machine in rooms - a lot of places do now *A larger TV would suit the size of the room better ( Room 4 ) *I understand the need for health and safety but I really do prefer a glass beaker rather than the plastic ones supplied. However the above points are such niggly things that in no way spoiled our stay!

Friendly welcome, charming bar, best carvery I've ever had, lovely room, quiet rural location, fantastic shower, great food on the menu, we had the carvery and the steak and kidney pie. Starter of pate was delicious. Extremely good value for money. Loved the hare hooks in the room. Breakfast was lovely as were the hosts and staff. Top marks to everyone. We will definitely be back.

The external view of the roadside family pub was not inspirational, but once shown to the room the quality of furnishing, bed linen, bath shower facilities, tea making facilities (all better than most high level hotels) was most impressive. We had dinner at the pub ( the steak was one of the best I have ever had) and including 4 drinks the total price for the single starter plus 2 mains came to £43.00. Excellent breakfast in the morning made this one of the best overnight stays we have experienced. Excellent value.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Toilet brush could have been provided.

Thick white fluffy towels, lots of coffee, tea and biscuits in room. Modern tiled bathroom with good shower. Lovely staff, nice food, nice location.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Beautiful place with lovely energy and very hospitable stuff. Spacious and lovely decorated room with large bed and great view. I have wonderful stay there.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

food distinctly average - Carvery vegetables stale, looked like they had been there for a few days!! breakfast food was definitely quantity not quality

Lovely bedroom, comfortable , clean

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

We had a great stay, lovely room, friendly staff, great food, all excellent. The carvery (even on Sunday evening) was the best we've ever had. We intend to return when the weather improves.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

My bed in room 3 was a bit on the hard side and the duvet was a little bit heavy and solid (but this is me being a little bit fussy)! I just prefer a lighter downy duvet and a slightly softer bed.

Excellent carvery even during the week. Top class breakfast with everything freshly cooked. My yardstick is how well the poached eggs are cooked and they were perfect !! Warm cosy atmosphere with plenty of open fires. Large car park with ample free parking. Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

The food is very good and the portions are enormous which was great-but one or two lighter main meal choices would have been nice-a very minor point!

Large well furnished rooms. plenty of tea and coffee available to make! Very pleasant location with easy parking. Friendly helpful staff

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

Better hint on location rather than just on that long B road would make finding it in the dark safer. (2, 1/2 miles from Bridgnorth?)

Everyone was friendly, welcoming and helpful

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

The Television too small. The Duvet was heavy not feathers as told on phone. Carpets dirty in places leading up to room and in room. Property about 3 miles from Bridgnorth

Excellent carvery on sunday night Very peaceful location Breakfast very good quality

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

Too soft pillows and a little noisy from some thing kicking in every so often. Air con or boiler ??

I'm quiet fussy when it comes to some where to stay and this fabulous inn takes some beating. The food was fantastic the hotel room was great clean and spacious staff were friendly and very helpful. Easy distance for 7 valley railway. Very busy place so I've all ready booked again for march. Great big car park with easy access to rooms and cases.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

Difficult finding a quiet room. A lot of noise is generated by the kitchen ventilation.

Easy location and large car park (needed! - busy place). Evening meals good.

Nice location, rooms are of a very good standard and clean, bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept in, food for both dinner and breakfast was tasty and of good quality would stay here again.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

Bed was uncomfortable the first night. My husband has a bad hip , he could feel the springs making his hip sore. We asked the next morning if it was possible to have a top up mattress. They went to the trouble of changing it to a diffrent mattress. We had a very comfortable night sleep on the second night. Nothing was to much trouble from the staff.

Friendliness of the staff and the place imaculately clean. Food was very good, the carvery lovely although a little luke warm instead of hot.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

There was a problem with the hot water supply which cut out in the late evening but there was a kettle available to overcome this problem!

There was a warm welcome - the room was a good size with a large double bed and adequate storage for clothes plus two comfortable chairs. Then there was easy access to the room from the rear car park which meant that there was no difficulty with bringing in luggage. There was an excellent carvery and the food prices were very reasonable - the serving staff were friendly and helpful.

No gluten free bread or cereal available. Coffee served by waitress to cup at the table. Would have preferred own coffee pot to be able to top up without having to ask waitress or to be able to top up from general coffee dispenser. A minor issue though.

Welcoming and helpful staff, excellent carvery and they went the extra mile by making me Gluten free gravy. Comfortable dining room and bedroom.

Our stay was on 2 nights, Friday and Saturday. On the Saturday night we had the inconvenience of hearing a disco that was booked to continue until 12.30am. We went to bed at about 10.30 pm and the disco noise was somewhat disturbing although we eventually managed to sleep. We feel that because it can be heard in the bedrooms, the cut off time for noisy entertainments should be 11pm. We found the bath shower controls ‘quirky’ to say the least. It was not possible to hand-hold the shower head to direct it away until the warm water came through. Even when the hot tap on the bath had been run to max heat, turning on the shower controls would result in a shock of cold water over you until the warm came through. The control was of the type that is closed in the cold position and you have to rotate it anti-clockwise to the temperature you require. This is not easy with ice cold water cascading all over you – you tend to wind it more than needed and the water was then too hot until you wound it back a bit. Due to the position of the bath screen and the fixed shower head; doing this from outside the bath was not easy and the water (good pressure) would still affect your arms and spray onto the floor As well. Notwithstanding the above, The Down Inn will be our first choice on the next occasion that we visit the Bridgnorth area. Overall it was very good indeed.

Our room was spacious and comfortable with a view across the flat roof to the countryside in the distance. Access was easy from the car park but from the restaurant there was a twisty staircase to climb. With the windows open we could occasionally hear noisy traffic passing in the night but we were not unduly disturbed by it. The bathroom was very nice with a bath having a shower facility and a side screen. Soft towels and a bath mat were provided but I would have very much appreciated the provision of wash flannels too. There was a shaver point with a light above the basin and shower gel and shampoo were provided. We had two dinners and two breakfasts in the restaurant. The food was excellent, plentiful and very reasonably priced. On the first evening we had a rack of lamb with mint mash and a steak & kidney pie. (The lamb was a little ‘bloody’ which was OK for my partner and she said it was ‘melt in the mouth’. If you would prefer it cooked a little longer it might be best to mention this). The waiting time seemed a little long but that was because the dishes were obviously cooked to order and both succulent and plentiful indeed! Vegetables were ‘help yourself’ from the carvery. On the second evening we chose the carvery where there were three choices of meat (beef/pork/turkey) with plentiful Yorkshire puddings and a wide range of vegetables and sauces. Our appetites were completely sated on both occasions. Breakfast consisted of a mixed fruit salad, cereals, toast and unlimited choices of cooked options. I was told the meats came from local sources and the eggs were free range. They all tasted excellent and flavoursome, with a special mention for the black pudding – the best I have tasted. The staff were always helpful, obliging and friendly. There is plentiful car parking space at the rear and the side of the property. The Down Inn will be our first choice on the next occasion that we visit the Bridgnorth area.

Browse The Down Inn traveller photo gallery