Reviews of The Essex Golf & Country Club Hotel 3 stars

Earls Colne, Coggeshall, CO6 2NS, United Kingdom

#4 of 5 hotels in Coggeshall

Walls were so thin you could hear exactly what someone was saying in the room next door and in the corridors. Was woken up both nights by people returning to their rooms after 1am. Also noise from the rooms above. Room was dusty and there were stains in the bath.

Receptionist was helpful and organised us a taxi to the train station.

Very very Dirty dusty, tired rooms, bathroom had mould, out dated gym and pool facilities, the cleaning staff spoke loudly through the paper thin walls, would not recommend.

Only porter on hand at 10pm arrival and bar closed so no opportunity to get nibbles and a drink after a long day driving. Also no advice in room about facilities and opening times etc. Seems to be set up just for the golfers who come to use the course.

Large comfy room in a great location and at a very reasonable price

Room a little dated & slightly on the expensive side

The spa area was nice although loungers outside of the pool area would be a bonus with the hot weather we had. The Comedy night was a good bonus

• Double Room with Golf View

Only faults I could pick at was they could do with a water drinks dispenser by the steam room and sauna. And full English breakfast was missing mushrooms. Room was to a good standard but a little dusty in bathroom ( probably just missed a corner ) and only one bed side cabinet. Had to use a chair. Really lovely place just needs a little bit more eye to detail but then it's great value.

Food was fabulous, staff were friendly, spa facilities were great and room was good. We would stay again. Lovely location.

Adjoining room with only door between meant I couldn’t sleep for the sound of snoring next door. It’s an odd concept hotel as check in is in a golf shop. Eating is at a basic cafe bar and rooms in annexe.

Staff were excellent really friendly polite and helpful

Manager (lady) dark hair searing in reception. Ok overall but way out of the way. Breakfast good but had to ask for orange juice (empty) bread (empty) pretty basic stuff.

Facilities ie gym

• Suite

Specifically requested the garden suite upstairs as it was for bridal prep, was confirmed on the phone that it was secure. Only to find the bride was checked into a different room at check in, in my absence. Which was a massive inconvenience as it was right by the main doors and all the guests where literally outside her room when she needed to leave for her wedding. The worst part is how the staff dealt with it when I queried, nothing worse than poor customer service, no matter how spacious the room was! Never again. This place is essentially a B&b, don't expect much else.

Room was a bit tired

Welcome given by staff .Also able to add things to the bill by pre registered credit card.Also when paper ordered did not arrive They did not flannel just honest answer

£10 breakfast was tasteless and it took until I’d finished it all for the fried egg to arrive. The shower pressure through fine jets was like showering in hot pins and it went straight from jet washer to dribble with no in between. The half height shower screen with thin curtain above (inside) was a joke. As soon as the shower was turned on, the curtain wafted inwards trying to stick to you. Useless. A fairly disappointing experience.

Comfy bed and dark blinds/curtains

The food was just awful. Breakfast was abysmal!! Dinner took ages to arrive and was bland. The second night we just ordered takeaway to the room. Also, even though our room was a suite, it only had a small shower.

The room was spacious and I could adjust the temperature to my liking.

A moderate discomfort difficulty arose early morning when using the swimming pool, insofar as the women's changing room was having planned maintenance and this necessitated changing elsewhere and walking through hotel reception (and back) in swimming garb.

The swimming pool facility was good and all staff were friendly. Evening and breakfast food were well prepared and presented, though the former was a little limited in menu choice. Our stay was reasonable value for money.

• Double Room with Golf View

It was over priced , There was no Evening meal , The bar would not serve us Coffee after 1045 PM Had to Pay £20 for a mini cab to take us 1.7 miles to a lovely pub ( the Lion) , then had to ask the Manager of the Pub to take us back . No one on reception after 10 pm not seen a 20 inch TV for years

Clean , good bed ,

• Suite

The restaurant menu was very limited. There were really only bar snacks of offer such as burgers, chips, etc. I settled for an omelette which was mediocre. The staff were friendly and the service was good. The breakfast was usual buffet style and again mediocre.

I stayed in the County Suite and it was enormous! The living area was clean and tidy and the double bed very comfortable. There was also a single bed, settee and chairs and still lots of space. The bathroom was small, with only a small shower but it was powerful and clean.

Rooms need upgrading especially bathroom Very old fashioned The rooms don't have curtains just blinds If you are on the ground floor golfers walking by can look straight into the room

The facilities

• Suite

It was ok but the hard and restaurant not very good very dated no soft music playing would of made it better

The staff was lovely and food was great had a nice room good veiw

• Double Room with Golf View

Can not access the 'spa' area from rooms/inside the lodge, have to go outside and walk across car park. Most staff we encountered were unprofessional and not very helpful (two were standing at reception taking to each other about what they was doing at the weekend while i was standing there needing their help and i had to interrupt them to get their attention. Bathroom was dirty and had mould around bath, on the ceiling and around toilet. Hot water tap and in shower is scalding hot. They had lost our pre-booked breakfast order. Reception/entrance area is very cluttered and looks very untidy.

The pool area was quiet and peaceful Bed was comfortable A bar staff member recommended a nice pub for dinner.

• Double Room with Golf View

It would have been helpful if my room had been made up when I arrived at 8.20pm. Greater choice would have been good in terms of cereals, yoghurts etc.

Hot chocolate was very good. Staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Double Room with Golf View

As soon as we entered The staff wasn’t friendly at all We went to room and came back after 5 minutes asking if we can swap rooms for some bigger and bigger tv and staff said oh because you here till Wednesday we cannot swap as rooms are booked up Then I asked is there aby other way coming from spa to room not to be walking with wet hair at this weather into the room Staff said no I was absolutely shocked We went back to room And it was just awful Then my husband went and said we want to csncel the room for one night or cancel it completely if possible I was ready to go home at that stage They cancelled only one night We went spa and it was ok But no one ever said that there are lessons going on and there is noise not the website stated it In the room one light on the wall didin’t work but at that stage I didn’t even bother When checking out staff usually asks how was your stay We wasn’t it was awful

• Double Room with Golf View

No evening meal selection but it is primarily a golf club that holds events doesn't really cater for romantic meals.

Place clean and tidy little dated but great value for money.

Room service menu was terrible for a health club choice, pizza and sandwiches and chips was all that was on offer, and on arrival my room was freezing with no heating on :(

Helpful staff and friendly staff they made my stay great :)

The a accomodation could greatly benefit from a freshen up and a little more attention to cleaning. However perfectly adequate for my business stay.

The staff were excellent including the room service from the restaurant team! After a long day of travel i was shattered so asked for room service, I jokingly explained this to the restaurant team whilst discussing my food/drink order. The service was so quick and the chap stated we knew you had a tiring day so wanted to get this to you quickly! Excellent customer service and consideration. Thank you.

• Twin Room with Golf View

We have booked new year party unfortunately after arrival they have mixed orders and we have had no ware to sit ..... after 30-45 min hotel stuff has manège to get us little table that looked very odd amongs all big round tables even that we have paid same amount of money then everyone else. At the party we felt bit forgotten And isolated ...... we had to manually asked stuff to get anything ( might be being on a said and not part of big group that was sitting By the big tables ) young blond waitress has been very forgetful eg never got bread when asked or teas and coffees where we got our sugar and cups but never received coffee or tea with it . Party was great and we have integrated well but felt isolated and forgotten by stuff that works there.

Rooms are great value for money

• Twin Room with Golf View

the attitude of the Manager in charge of the "New Year Event" ... The "Events" ability to control the normal functioning of the Hotel 1000 per cent MINUS

All the Staff were helpfull and efficient and pleasent ... EXEPT FOR ONE OF THE MANAGERS THAT IS WHY I GAVE IT A LOWER THAN GOOD EXPERIENCE ... I WOULD LIKE TO ADD ALL THE STAFF WERE OF EXCELLENT CHARACTER THE ONE PERSON HAS CAUSED THIS SCORE!!!

The noise from the neighbouring room was dreadful. There was a communicating door between our room and the one next door and we could hear absolutely everything from their intimate conversations to their love making first thing in the morning! We pre-booked the breakfast over the phone prior to visiting, but it had not been placed on the computer, so we booked it again when we checked in. When we arrived for breakfast it again wasn't on their computer. Also breakfast was ok and but brilliant.

Convenient for our stay

Food good for breakfast and lunch. Would have liked something a bit more special for evening dinner.

Enjoyed using the pool, jacuzzi and steam room and then had a golf lesson and used the driving range.

• Double Room with Golf View

We were told it would be a golf view room; however being on the ground floor Room 16 we did not have a golf view, only large green hills, did not see the green. My husband loves golf so unfortunately was disappointed.

Bed extra comfy, room warm, bathroom ample for our needs. Breakfast was satisfactory. Staff very friendly and accommodating nothing too much trouble.

• Double Room with Golf View

The rooms need updating especially the bathrooms. Booked a golf view and was on ground floor so looked out on the bunkers and had golf buggies driving pass our window.

swimming pool was nice ect

• Double Room with Golf View

I requested an extra bed in our room for 1 night for my daughter, which was refused as she was over 16, the maximum age for their z bed policy. No one asked but I could have signed a disclaimer, I considered the policy silly as it seemed it was based on the maximum weight for a z bed; I explained that my daughter was very slim and in comparison eg to a teenage boy would be much lighter and therefore safer. I had to book a separate room for her and although this was provided at a reduced rate at £50, as a pensioner this was a hefty additional cost to our already heavy expense to attend a family wedding in the area. Adjoining door from my room to next door, inconsiderate occupants did not even try to speak more quietly and I could hear them almost word for word, I could hear them even with the TV turned on; inadequate soundproofing between rooms. There seemed to be some confusion by staff in the cafe bar over splitting a bill between 3 rooms via charging the room cards when we had been told that this would not be a problem even though all the rooms had been booked under 1 name; possibly because the bar is used for the golfers? We eventually paid cash, splitting the bill amongst us at £12 each meaning that we handed over £60 to cover a bill of £53 plus pence thus including a tip but the bar person said we'd given £2 short - mental arithmetic was clearly not a strong point. On the final morning for breakfast the waitress had the incorrect information regarding the number of breakfasts being paid for. We were made to wait until she'd checked with reception before she issued us with a very cold plate each to help ourselves to the buffet style breakfast; the day before we had ordered at the bar and the breakfast brought to us at our table. Lack of information re restaurant routine. Only a details perhaps but these thing add up and can make a huge difference to consumer experience.

Comfortable beds. The fitness centre looked excellent, lovely pool, but we didn't have the time to use it due to attending a family wedding. The onsite hairdressing salon was excellent and my hair 'up do' was nicer than anyone has ever done it for me before.

It didn’t bother me as they were functional but the bathrooms were very outdated and look a little grim.

Staff were incredibly friendly and help full. Would recommend.

If you are going to have a eco philosophy and tell customers that you will only exchange towels if they are place in the batch then really you should stick by it. I thought the options available for food were poor. My first breakfast was ok, the one the following day was cold and when I mentioned this to a member of staff, the response was poor.

Room decor was okay, bed very comfortable and facilities were excellent.

• Twin Room with Golf View

Rooms just a little dated but clean and tidy.

All staff were very helpful, especially young barman Ashley really great and attentive needs a mention. Spa facilities great only ones in there.

• Twin Room with Golf View

Uncomfortable bed. The bathroom is dated. It needs total refurbishment.

Sufficient parking spaces. Fantastic facilities such as pool, Jacuzzi and sauna. Golf course is a plus.

• Twin Room with Golf View

The plate's that we had given to us for Breakfast had not been warmed so they made the food cold. Also there was a lot of noise from a function on the one night.

Taps were too close to the sink to get your hand fully under them. Shower dial could not be turned all the way up so shower was a little cooler than desired but ok. Bathroom smelt very strongly of bleach. Overall, the bathroom was clean but in need of refurbishment.

Comfortable bed, spacious room, excellent staff.

Said on web gluten free pasta they did not have any.Bed decor. No restaurant just a cafe.snàcks.Very clean rooms but cleaners laughing and shouting woke me up every morning . Understand they have to use hoover.

Reception staff so helpul and moved to lovely room and bed.swim poolgreat clean.

• Twin Room with Golf View

We understood we were to have a view across the golf links. Instead,on the ground floor, we had a view of a large earth bund and golfers past our bedroom window!

A good value budget hotel.

• Twin Room with Golf View

We booked two golf facing rooms but this information was not passed to the hotel. The children couldn’t swim in the morning (only after 10am)

The pool was fantastic and the view (on the golf side) was lovely

Due to the chef to being at work no cooked breakfast was on offer only cereal and toast, this was not charged to the bill. The hotel could be very nice however it is tired and in need of a makeover. The traffic to get from the hotel to the main routes into Colchester were very bad and a 20min journey took 1hrs 15min making me late for my meeting. (not down to the hotel but a consideration when booking)

All the staff were very nice and helpful Great shower Tea and coffee making in the room

The building was very noisy and there was poor sound proofing through out. Perhaps signs should be up to remind people to come in as quietly as possible. The bed needed renewing, I could feel the springs through the mattress. Renewal of mattresses should be build into the room fee, So as to guarantee a good night sleep. The decore was tired and could do with modernising. I was concerned when I filled in the check in form with the night porter when we checked in late. He asked us for our credit card details although there was no place for this on the form. He didn't check them and I didn't add the expiry day and securitty number as I felt very unsure doing this.

The reception staff were all extremely friendly, Professsional and helpful. As were the breakfast staff. The lodge was very clean.

• Double Room with Golf View

Had one issue which the manager was execellent in resolving. Could not thank her more.

Staff were extremely accommodating and the facilities were second to none.

Rooms were old and tired food was very poor.

Property was clean but very basic. It is intended mainly for golfers wanting an overnight stay. Sporting facilities were good . Hotel rooms were a bit tired and dated. We only had breakfast but this was very poor.it was undercooked and cold and not up to hotel standard. Reception staff were very good. It is located in the middle of nowhere so unless you are there to play golf it is not a good stop over venue.

• Twin Room with Golf View

Could hardly sleep due to people upstairs, walking around sounded like they were coming through the ceiling. My friends said the same, so all in all I got 4 hours sleep!

Perfect location.. Staff were friendly, breakfast was lovely and good value for money.

The hotel was shabby although clean. We could hear every word spoken from the next room and people walking about on the floor above. There was no sound proofing in the hotel.

• Twin Room with Golf View

The bathroom was a bit tired and the Windows could do with a bit of a clean. Just a small observation not a complaint!!!

Odd location, but when you arrived at the complex,a different world, the view from our window overlooking the 10th tee and the 18th green was stunning. A round of golf midweek is excellent value and both the Garden and the County course are in tip top condition,great base for exploring Essex ,recommended.

The location is a pain if, like us, you needed taxis to get to and from a place because you are drinking. And someone decided to stick a Lucozade Sport bottle behind the brake caliper of my motorbike overnight.

The room was clean and airy with good facilities... could have done with more coffee 😁 The food was very nice and the bar staff, in particular the young gentleman, were very polite and eager to serve.

Dated decor in bedroom.

Stayed in the county suite - lovely big bedroom. Had breakfast and dinner at the hotel restaurant and it was a lovely meal. Free wifi access in bedrooms and tea and coffee making facilities. Bed was very large and comfortable. Good room service and menu and prices provided in booklet in bedroom.

Arriving for a nightcap at the bar at 10.45pm which was supposed to close at 11pm to be told it was already closed and when we found a manager to complain he did nothing - there's always a way round things and he didn't give a damn

Pool Jacuzzi sauna n steam room

Breakfast was not value for money. Too expensive for the choice on offer. Drinks were very expensive. The hotel rooms needed updating & the bathroom was a. It shabby. No fan or aircon, so it would be too warm in hot weather. Poor quality & very cheap tea (Typhoo) on the tea tray in the room.

Great facilities & fairly comfortable beds, although not king size. Would stay again.

• Twin Room with Golf View

Thought the cost of tennis was abit steep, £6 per person. We brought our own tennis racquets and balls, thought this should be free considering we were paying guests.

Was a lovely hotel, nice and quiet location. Would recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Double Room with Golf View

Didn't like to see mould on the bathroom tiles. I don't have mould in my bathroom and do not expect to pay for a room with mould. Not impressed. Also bar was shut very early so could not have a night cap at 10:30

the staff

• Twin Room with Golf View

The overall impression of the room was dull' bathroom not clean, Windows needed fixing as 'sweating' between the double glazing spoiling what should have been a view of the golf course. The walk between the accommodation and reception/restaurant was fine as the weather was good but on a cold, wet or windy day would have been awful.

Staff were friendly and approachable

• Twin Room with Golf View

Bar menu was really poor, more like a Lunch menu. Having an omelette as the main choice for your dinner is unacceptable for a place like this.

Views and Staff both were fantastic.

• Suite

Bathroom could have been updated. Small shop in site would be good.

Food very fairly priced. Suite very roomy. Beds comfortable. Staff very friendly.

bathroom -

lovely stay apart from bathroom in urgent need of replacing - enamel on bath has come off we thought it was dirty so called duty manager - unable to change rooms as full so gave us complementary breakfast which was lovely

• Twin Room with Golf View

Bedroom a little dated. Sadly no restaurant but bar food available

Excellent swimming pool, sauna and steam room, and gym at no extra cost so very good value. Bedroom very quiet as hotel away from roads. Parking free and right outside hotel. Bedroom overlooked the beautiful golf course.

• Twin Room with Golf View

The room was out dated there was mouldy in the bathroom the beds were the most uncomfortable I've slept in. Sound proof was awful. My partner and I were extremely disappointed.

Miles from anywhere with cab fares costing as much as the accommodation. No air conditioning so windows open and traffic noise horrendous for front facing rooms given the rural location - deliveries start at 5.30 to 6am so be warned!

• Twin Room with Golf View

Arrived to be put into an already occupied room although this was dealt with swiftly by reception team. Room was very tired and dated, not a high standard of cleanliness.

Ease of parking and peace in room.

• Twin Room with Golf View

There was a wedding on that night which we didn't know about. We arrived with a very tired 4 year old and the noise was horrendous! Not so much the music but the people outside very loud, kids crying etc. We had to use our mobile phone to stream some music and stories to block out the noise. Thankfully there is free wi-fi. Staff at the reception was busy counting change and not very pleasant or welcoming when we arrived. Vending machine was empty, so we had no way of getting a bottle of water or anything else. Room was not cleaned properly, had sand on all the shelves! Doors close with a great bang and click that you can't avoid. So it was noisy. I will be double checking if there is a wedding or other event on before booking a room again here!

On the good side the beds were super comfortable and we had a great night sleep once it was all quiet.

• Double Room with Golf View

The reception staff were rude and unhelpful. I was also overcharged for additional nights. The manager was quick to rectify it though and refund me. The rooms are clean but quite dated and hot and stuffy. There is no air con

The room was clean

The staff could not have been more accommodating! As a handi-capped person, I needed a lot of help. The staff helped me with baggage, laundry, packing the car, accessing fitness facilities. Outstanding personal service!

Room wasn't very clean. Desk and tea making area was dusty. Bathroom smelt like someone had just been for a number 2 in there for the entire duration of our stay. Walls are paper thin and there was an adjoining door. Unfortunate to have a crying baby next door in the morning and could hear everything.

Bedroom was a good size and plenty of room for both of us to get ready. Plenty of parking.

• Twin Room with Golf View

Booked 2 x twin rooms for one night, however on arrival only one room was availble. It was 2330 and the hotel was full, the night manager was a bit clueless to know what to do and passed the issue to the day manager the nextt day. the booking had been messed up on their side (they admitted) So one party member ended up sleeping in the car. They did not charge us for either room however this experience was terrible and ruined the experience of the stay

• Twin Room with Golf View

We stayed on a very hot day and there was no ice available for drinks (ice machine broken) however the wedding in the next room had ice and you'd think that someone would have had the sense to have gone next door with an ice bucket - luke warm drinks aren't very nice and when your'e paying £8 a time its even worse.

No breakfast was included and the breakfast available in the little cafe was over-priced.

The hotel is part of a golf club, so it has really excellent leisure facilities included. We used the gym which was extremely well equipped, and we could have used the pool as well if we had time.

Signage...it is in the back of beyond and finding it in the dark was not easy. Answer the phones when guests are trying to obtain directions...satnav only gets you so far. Notification that late arrival would need porter to come from different location. Invest in £10 fans for each room..rooms like ovens after very hot days. Construction style is similar to old Travelodge...expected better all-round from website self-description of how wonderful it is. It's not wonderful and it's not a country club...it's a Travelodge with a golf course!

Not much

• Twin Room with Golf View

They had removed the Tie green curry from the menu , it was fantastic. Apart from that all was well

The fact I play golf, and like walking the grounds on site provided me with both. Vey quiet location no road traffic noice, what more do you want from an hotel.

Had to pay for a full breakfast for 2 when we only had corn flakes and yogurt! When I questioned a receptionist I was told "It's one price for breakfast no matter what you have"...later saw a menu with individual prices! The corn flakes were fine but for £9.95 each we could have brought a few boxes. Be warned - fill your boots because if you don't you will still get charged.

• Double Room with Golf View

The rooms were very hot and the bathroom was more like a sauna. If you were using the shower it became very hard to breath due to the poor air vents in the very small bathroom

The views were ok nothing too special, the pool looked clean and smart. Just a real shame about the bedrooms

The rooms need modernisation looked very tired. TV too small and you can hear everything in the next door rooms . New carpets needed.

The golf course looked nice.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Double Room with Golf View

Entrance doors need to be automated as no porter for luggage. Shower dripped so turned too tight for me to use.matress lumpy.bedside light switch had to get out of bed to use! Insulation bad could hear all in the room above & outside corridor. Bizarrely there are turnstiles in reception to get to stairs for bar/snack bar.its an overstatement to say this is a restaurant.

• Twin Room with Golf View

The whole hotel needs to be refurbished, it is obviously well used and it looks it, most of the double glazing is shot, the carpets are very worn, making the place look shabby, the beds are spongy not a comfortable nights sleep, There is no lift to the upper floors, and noise could be heard through the walls, As stated the whole place needs upgrading.

• Twin Room with Golf View

Only issue was the restaurant didn't see a evening meal menu that's the only fault.

The receptionist Gabrielle very helpful and polite, also all bar staff helpful and polite a credit to the club itself for training methods. Swimming pool and jacuzzi,sauna and steam great value for money.

The hairdryer in our room didn't work and they didn't have any spare ones so I had to go over to the changing rooms to dry my hair. Also, the bar closed at 9:30pm which was very early!

The staff were very friendly. The food was good but quite basic.