2. UK hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of The Franklin Hotel - Starhotels Collezione

Reviews of The Franklin Hotel - Starhotels Collezione 5 stars

24 Egerton Gardens, Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW3 2DB, United Kingdom

#56 of 1,066 hotels in London

Read more- opens a dialog box

Showing 1 – 75

• Reviewed: 28 April 2019

Great breakfast and good interior design.

Ask us to upgrade and pay to a three bed room when we’d unpacked and packed again. When booking via booking. Com I stated clearly there’d be 1 adult with 2 minor children of 6 years old.

Stayed in April 2019

• Reviewed: 24 April 2019

Awful and poor value for money

- Walls are thin and got woken up multiple times by hotel guests coming home late at night. Glossy and supposedly fashionable rooms, but if you look closely cheap finishing, thin walls, cheap thin slippers, flimsy cupboards etc. - No tea/coffee making facilities in the room. I am on certain medication which means I am very thirsty especially in a dry climate that I'm not used to. Like most hotels of this price range/standard, would have expected complimentary water given lack of facilities. Staff repeatedly threatened to charge me for water beyond what they deemed standard and never proposed to offer me a kettle, which I had to insist on. Complete loss of goodwill of say 15-20 pounds worth of water due to their attitude/treatment. - I wanted to go shopping on Easter Sunday. Had asked on Sat with concierge about what would be open. Had to ask staff 4 times on Sat noon/ Sat night/ Sun morning/later on Sun morning and they just never communicated nor properly looked into my question beyond a brief google search - surely Concierge is there to add value and provide insights into the city that is reliable and insightful. I was getting wrong info such as "all shops are open but just reduced hours", "or Harrods is open" and I had to push multiple times to get answers. - One night manager was awful and told me to search my own room for a message from his colleague re. Easter Sunday shopping (above) and only to talk to him if I didn't find anything. He also told me that re. the water situation/cleanliness was on par with other hotels. I have stayed in many hotels and in this price range/category, would expect bottled water/in-room tea and coffee facilities. and much better cleanliness. Not everyone (some were polite/ strove to help),but some staff were defensive when I complained. - Cleaner put my clean pyjamas on top of my dirty suitcase and wheels.

-View facing gardens

Stayed in April 2019

• Reviewed: 1 April 2019

Outstanding London Gem of available hotel!

Nothing!!

Everything!!! Perfect in every way!!! The friendly, attentive and wonderful staff, the service, the location and the wonderfully decorated rooms... Loved every minute of my stay here!

• Reviewed: 28 March 2019

A very pleasant hotel, but they take your eyes out for drinks and breakfast
    • Garden Suite

The breakfast at £35 plus service charge is not good value, the full english was disappointing and quite greasy, the buffet part was well displayed and quite nice. the prices in the bar are extortionate £28 for a tanquary bloomsbury gin + £3 tonic is not good value when a bottle is less than £50. You expect to pay above average at top hotels but this is ridiculous.

Beautiful hotel nice location. very friendly and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 3 March 2019

Outstanding!

I have no words to put here.

Absolutely incredible hotel. From the moment you walk in to the moment you leave you literally feel like you’re the only guest in the hotel. They were even kind enough to show us the two potential rooms we could upgrade too before paying the extra money! World class service and I’ll absolutely be staying here again.

• Reviewed: 22 February 2019

I'll be back.
    • Garden Suite

I do have to work when I travel, even for leisure, so it's nice to have a writing table to place my laptop on so I may do email late at night. That's the only thing I'd add to the room.

The room was fantastic, the bed was very comfortable, the staff was amazing.

• Reviewed: 17 February 2019

The rooms and bathroom are really small. Despite being told and it being clear on their website that the mini bar was complimentary we were charged for it all and even when I disputed this was told I was wrong and she had said no such thing and no such thing was on their website. It is. We checked and emailed them a photo of the statement to which they have completely ignored. The bar shuts at 11pm and is so small that if there is someone else in there, you feel like you are intruding on a private party. Prior to arriving I asked for a spa menu. Never got one. There are so many better hotels in this price range. Disappointed all around.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2019

There are plenty of better hotels in London

Over engineered room (what's wrong with a regular light switch?!). The bathroom was I suspect designed for The Borrowers and the breakfast was quite possibly the most over-priced meal I've had in my life.

Location was good and the view out of the room over the garden was pretty. The chap on the door was great (helped with taxis, got my wife an umbrella etc) but he was the friendliest member of staff in the hotel by far.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2019

good hotel in London

The room gets quite warm and with limited possibility to open the windows, it was difficult to get it cold during the night.

A good hotel in great location. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom spacious. All in all great value for money in London.

Stayed in January 2019

• Reviewed: 28 December 2018

The franklin hotel is a very cosy boutique hotel, in a great...

The franklin hotel is a very cosy boutique hotel, in a great location. The staff were extremely friendly and the breakfast was simply amazing! i would definitely be returning there.

Stayed in December 2018

• Reviewed: 5 December 2018

Staff were warm, charming, knowledgeable and very helpful.

Staff were warm, charming, knowledgeable and very helpful. Our luggage was lost by the airlines and the concierge Miko went out of his way to help us by tracking the whereabouts and keeping us updated on its arrival. The staff’s kindness during these stressful few days was greatly appreciated . The restaurant, reception and housekeeping staff also warrant being singled out for their service and humour. The interior decoration was beautiful. There is absolutely nothing about this hotel we do not love. Winning combination of wonderful staff, beautiful surroundings and great location. Next time we make the trip to London we’ll be heading straight for The Franklin Hotel.

Stayed in December 2018

• Reviewed: 19 November 2018

Beautiful hotel and a great location!

Wish the bathroom could have been larger.

The entire staff at the Franklin were so warm and accommodating. They couldn't do enough to make you comfortable from the concierge to the receptionist! The room was beautiful!

Stayed in November 2018

• Reviewed: 30 October 2018

overall good experience

didn't like the showers, for every shower taken, I had to put 2-3 towels around the bath tub to absorb the water drainage. Also, didn't like how all the noises in the corridors are heard easily in the rooms and vice versa.

liked the floor and wall heaters

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

The decor was quirky with a twist of British heritage

The room was too small according to the pics that we saw online. The bathroom was really small too. No tea or coffee making facilities in the room, you have to ring them and ask them for a kettle.

The decor was quirky with a twist of British heritage

• Reviewed: 10 October 2018

GREAT LOCATION.

NO MIRRORS IN THE ROOM, THE ONLY MIRROR IS LOCATED AT THE PATHROOM. ONLY ONE CHAIR IN THE ROOM AND NOT COMFORTABLE, THE BACK OF IT IS METEL. THEIR LOOPY IS ABNORMAL, VERY DIFFECULT TO PASS THROUGH.

GREAT LOCATION.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

Not good value for money

Bathroom tiny, can hear the loud noise and horns all night long, check in very slow

Get the upgrade to suite, nice location, walking distance to museums and Hyde park, room really clean

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

The Franklin - A hidden gem!

I love the staff, the interiors, the location in prime South Kensington, the comfort, the bar, the restaurant, the beautiful garden.... I could go on and on! Thank you Michelle, Sandro and the new staff. You are all wonderful!!

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Great hotel, but, no atmosphere!

When we checked in, my booking information was totally wrong, from my name, address and email. Room service was disappointing, they moaned a lot, got our simple order wrong, then put the phone down on us when we tried to correct it.! Hotel staff carried out work in the corridor, on a Sunday morning, chatting and laughing outside our room!

Great location, staff were great, the room was great.

Enjoyed it very much

The room was a bit small I found the breakfast expensive and the quality of some individual items was not according to expectation

The kindness of the personnel

Excellent but stay away from the restaurant

Stay away from the restaurant never lesson to Italian staff of the bar and the restaurant they never say the truth , it’s bad to have restaurant like this in very nice hotel , specially when you compare between the too staffs.

The location, the bill man and the reception staff are very friendly also the house keepers and all very helpful and professionals.

A wonderful experience, and a short sprint to Harrods
    • Deluxe Room

I really think for a five star hotel ,there should be a kettle and iron facilities in the room, we had to ask for this.

Breakfast was very interesting , there were so many different styles of egg , pancakes, fruit and bruschetta on the menu , that we tried something different every morning. Also the buffet selection of croissants , cakes , fruit, breads and ham was mouth watering. They have a vast range of teas, just ask the waitress , they were so helpful and pleasant .Really enjoyed our breakfast. The rooms were very spacious, clean and plenty of towels. They have a free take out phone in the room, great to use for google maps and no roaming costs.

What a beautiful hotel!
    • Deluxe Room

there wasn't anything we didn't like.

The staff were so attentive and very friendly, nothing was too much trouble. The room was luxurious, comfortable, had everything we needed. We had asked for an iron & board prior to arrival and it was in our room before we arrived. Breakfast is italian themed, very lovely food!

Gem of a hotel

The front door into the hotel was broken and slammed hard, which resonated up to our bedroom, however must stress it wasn’t Terrible and they were in process of getting it fixed.

Decor truly dreamy, staff were a dream to deal with. Utterly polite and clearly loved their job.

great I will go back

The property is really nice and very well maintained , the room was very nice and the staff amazing, I would suggest to have a larger selection for breakfast thanks

The staff was very polite and friendly.

The rooms and the overall hotel was tiny. The hotel was expensive when its compared to its segment or that was because of late reservation. The subway is a little bit far away than it is mentioned to be.

The staff was very polite and friendly. I loved them. The area and the backyard of the hotel was peaceful and lovely. They asked for a welcome drink whenever I entered the hotel, which was quite impressive.

What an amazing place to stay - treat yourself - you won't be disappointed!

Not a thing- everything was superlative!

We travel a lot. I spend more time in hotels than at home. This is without a doubt one of the best hotel experiences anywhere. The décor is classy and plush. The staff could not be more friendly, helpful and efficient. The rooms are beautifully appointed and extremely comfortable. Even if you don't stay at the hotel, a visit to the Michelin star restaurant is not to be missed. I haven't had Italian food that good - even in Italy! When we found our flight home had been delayed by a day, and I had to change my business travel plans in haste, the hotel went out of their way to be of assistance. Fortunately, it meant we were able to enjoy another supremely comfortable night at this wonderful hotel.

very good location, only 3 Min.

very small bathroom, high bathtub difficult to enter, no coffee machine, no kettle, very expensive but not good breakfast

very good location, only 3 Min. walking to Museum A&V, very friendly staff, comfortable bed, original residential area with garden, living with London families...

Awful- worst hotel we've stayed in. Refused to give us half the room rate back for all the problems.

Room was basic and small. Door leading to bath and shower was broken. 45 minutes to get 3 drinks from the bar when there were only 3 other groups in there- already seated with drinks. Poached eggs overcooked then second attempt raw! No kettle in the room unless you request. Very noisy when people are moving about. It echoes in the room and corridors. No concierge on main door. Restaurant is shut Sunday and Monday night.Turn down is practically opening the bed up and new towels, no cleaning/ tidying /emptying of bins.

It was a very nice stay, but not exactly what I would expect, I could write a small snagging list

Tv was small in the room, no kettle in the room, was told they would add breakfast at £25 per person but was still charged £35,

Nice room very quite, nice decor,

Gorgeous boutique hotel!!

I would of liked to have tea and coffee facilities in my room as I have had in every other hotel I have stayed in. I would of also liked to have a price list on what beauty treatments was available.

I loved the deco here. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. The hotel was very cosy and had beautiful scenery. The bar was beautiful and everything was well presented. I would stay again.

Very beautiful hotel with lovely rooms and bathrooms
    • Deluxe Room

The airconditioning system didn’t work correctly making the room very uncomfortable on one night in particular

Very beautiful hotel with lovely rooms and bathrooms

A very special hotel with wonderful staff
    • Deluxe Room

The air conditioning seemed to be intermittent

All the staff were very caring and extremely helpful. The hotel is comfortable, unique and beautifully decorated. They team made my daughters birthday really special, with balloons, a gift and a cake. We had a great stay - highly recommended!

The kindness of the staff.

No coffee , tea machine in the room. It should be basic at this level.

The kindness of the staff. Really fantastic experience . They deserve a huge congrats. The room was fabulous and extra clean.

An enjoyable stay

The timing of the room cleaning. I would expect the room to be serviced by early afternoon.

The staff are very helpful and rooms comfortable. It’s a great location for shopping and access to the V & A.

It was an amazing hotel, the staff very helpful and friendly...

It was an amazing hotel, the staff very helpful and friendly, the location in the city center, when I come back I'll choose this hotel Without hesitation Thanks for everything

A hao

The shower area is a bit inconvenience for those who are short ( have to climb over the tub) and those who are tall (6’ may have issue with the ceiling )

The hospitality made us felt at home. Conveniently located near cafe, restaurant and shopping places yet secluded from the main traffic and crowds.

Its ok but i would not stay there again unfortunately.

The entry door was like paper...you hear everything outside! Our AC didnt work, either to hot or to cold. The breakfast is far to expensive for what you get!

Bed was nice with gorgeous bedlinnen! The room smelled good and everything was fresh and looked nice! I liked the welcoming to the hotel!

over all it was an ok experience.

Breakfast, air conditioning & no signal tv. The manager offered to refund the breakfast amount, although I still await.

The location, decor & mobile facility are the best.

One of the best

If they just had a pool

It's a very lovely building with a very nice decoration, located in very nice neighborhood near shopping and underground stations, Sandro is the best concierge I have dealt with throughout my travels Michelle is super nice too, honestly the staff is super friendly and they go out of their way.

It’s very good location.
    • Deluxe Room

The water heating system is very poor. And you can’t adjust your room temperature. It’s toooo hot or toooo cold. Such 5 start hotel should solve such repetitive problem as it already mentioned in many previous reviews.

It’s very good location.

Beautiful and Boutique
    • Deluxe Room

The hotel room was too warm, and temperature could not be controlled from our room.

Beautiful boutique hotel, ideally situated in gorgeous Knightsbridge. Staff were exceptional throughout the stay. Cocktails at the bar were delicious!

One of the best hotel i ever stayed in in my life!
    • Deluxe Room

One of the best hotel i ever stayed in in my life! The staff was more than helpful and friendly the room was a piece of art! Loved it and i’m not staying in any other hotel in London

One of the best hotels we have stayed.

The rooms are very warm but you can open the window. When we mentioned this they offered to turn off our heating which made the room perfect. (Still able to enjoy the underfloor heating in the bathroom)

Staff are excellent. Professional and friendly and very helpful. Beautiful boutique property. Lovely facilities including the bar and restaurant - we enjoyed both. Dinner was superb. Miko the concierge had many fabulous suggestions. Great location!

Far from perfect

Room far too hot (pointed out to staff, no solution given) Billed wrong amount for all food and beverage Bathroom finishing very poor Mirrored furniture smashed and cracked Mirrored headboard dirty

i will rebook for sure

i would prefer a slightly bigger bathroom

fantastic chef Alfredo Russo comfortable mattress and pillows beautiful interiors helpful stuff superb cocktails home away from home feeling

Fantastic experience!
    • Deluxe Room

Fantastic experience! The rooms are very well appointed, beautiful amenities, and the decor is just stunning: well done. The staff is courteous, prepared and makes your stay very pleasant and relax. Great entertaining Barman, perfectly prepared cocktails. The restaurant is a jewel and the food is excellent. Will be back!! Thank you

Authorization visa taken 2 times each of 300 £ for a smoking fee charge although 200£ is paid cash ,, anyhow 300£ is back but still waiting for the 100 £ back

An experience to remember
    • Deluxe Room

Lovely Boutique Hotel in a very good location for shopping and business. Walking distance to Harrods and the best restaurants in the Knightsbridge/Belgravia areas. Very comfortable beds and extremelly clean rooms. The staff is very well prepared, very friendly and acommodating in a very professional way. I satyed there for two weeks and will definitely come back and recommend to my friends.

Overpriced and would seek alternatives next time

Overpriced breakfast - £35 per person! Silly things such as the toilet roll holder falls off every time you use it - the cleaner would have know this and should have had it repaired. The rug was damaged at the edges and had lifted, this caused us to trip on numerous occasions. Small concerns, but not when you take into account the cost of the hotel.

My new go-to hotel in London.

Nothing, everything was on point!

One of the best places I stayed at in London, the staff were very welcoming, understanding of our needs, and extremely helpful, especially that I was travelling with kids. The service was beyond excellent and the location is great!

A clean and small boutique hotel in a very good location

Price is too expensive for the too small rooms and the given services. Although we booked the junior suite, room is too small. Generally, Most hotels in London suffer from the small room sizes. Noise insulation is poor. You can hear the steps of anyone walking in the corridor. No steam room or sauna.

Location and friendly staffs. Renovated property. Quiet and high class location of London

Excellent location and staff
    • Deluxe Room

The bathroom sink!! And bathtub (drainage of the water was really problematic) although we requested to get it fixed they could not fix it and we had to use this sink for the whole stay. Our room was too small for my husband, me and our daughter of 5 y/o. So better to book Junior Suite or similar for families.

Staff was amazing very helpful and international (french, turkish, italian, etc.) home-like feeling as the space is limited (narrow alleys, small boutique hotel of 35 rooms) take a bigger room and ask for a room with view (garden or street) nice garden, egerton gardens, calm. Better for couples. Good à la carte menu/dining. Tasty food overall.

Extraordinary attentive staff and wonderful ambience, care...

Extraordinary attentive staff and wonderful ambience, care and hospitality, been to many boutique hotels and 5star luxury stays, this one was one of my best experiences so far. Got very sick during stay & holiday / weekend time, but received extra care including medical and logistics, thank you for becoming my second home in London from now on!

we had a great time, lovely hotel

could’nt turn room temp below 18 at night but think room was just hot after room temp set high before arrival .

lovely coffee, rose petals and card to celebrate our anniversary, delicious breakfast and small, homely, friendly feel to hotel.

Very stylish and quiet retreat right in the heart of London

Bath overheated / No tea or coffee making facilities in the room.

Stylish hotel in a lovely old building quietly set back from main road. Perfect for shopping at Harrods, in 10 minutes walking distance to Knightsbridge and/or South Kensington. Extremely friendly and helpful staff.

Comfortable, stylish, luxurious elegance with attentive and friendly service, fantastic location -

Bar and seating area would be perfection if there was an open fire -just a wishlist item!

Gorgeous boutique property with excellent staff and service and impeccable attention to detail

Lovely hotel good location
    • Deluxe Room

Didn’t like wooden floor in rooms. Could have been cosier with carpet and heating not on in room when we arrived. Just think a little expensive for what it is. Entrance hall on arrival also felt very cold which makes it unwelcoming.

Beautiful decor. Staff pleasant. Good location to Harrods

My home away from home!!!

Rien!

We love the great coffee and croissants! Coming from Paris we usually have a small breakfast à la carte or room service. The service at the Franklin is fantastic and every stay gets better and better! Thank you for the room upgrade and the exceptional staff!!

An excellent week spent at this wonderful boutique hotel,.

The only fault I could find was a need for better lighting in the bathroom to do your makeup!

The staff were really friendly and helpful, the decor is very stylish and the location is excellent.

Special and sumptuous

Room service menu/costs

Reception and bright and bubbly staff Had upgrade without asking A fan of Blake's (older Hempel establishment) and great to see this newer property look so good

excelliant
    • Deluxe Room

we liked everything and will book again

bed just very comfortable and the staff at breakfast looked after all of our request and provided a brilliant english breakfast

Enjoyed our stay but would not return to this hotel
    • Deluxe Room

Hotel has recently been refurbished, all the walls are a dark grey which after a while is quite depressing.

Staff were excellent, bed very comfy. Location brilliant.

Not worth the money

Room should be cleaned better; if you look under the surface, dust is everywhere. Hotel charged me a handling fee for paying my taxi (as theere was a problem to pay directly in the taxi by credit card and I had no cash with me) - this is definitely a no-go for such an expensive hotel.

Great location Friendly staff

Perfect stay at a stunning hotel with warm, professional and accommodating staff. Fantastic!

I honestly can't think of anything. Perhaps the bar could be open a little later for the weekends. However the drinks available in the mini bar and standard of room service made up for this shortfall!

Exceptionally high standards. Staff were warm, friendly and accommodating. Bedroom was stunning, comfortable and had everything you could possibly think of for a stay in the heart of London. Food served for room service was delicious and promptly delivered.

Good location and perfect for our stay

I thought the breakfast seemed overpriced but we went elsewhere.

The Head barman went out of his way to assist us with lovely canapes served with our champagne and could not do enough for us. On our return from dinner there was an Anniversary cake and heart shaped rose petals on our bed! 50th!

A beautiful experience at this wonderful boutique hotel. I'm mesmerized.

I had to leave.

Absolutely wonderful, the service from the moment we got there was lovely. The hotel itself is a charming boutique. Our room was beautiful all the little touches I loved it. Thank you to Salvatore he was a amazing host. Definitely will be returning.

My favorite London hotel that feels like home!

Nothing! We love the Franklin. This was my third stay at the Franklin and it gets better every time! Lovely surprise to receive a plate of chocolates and macaroons delivered to our room before dinner! Great to offer water too!

The location, excellent staff, helpfulness of staff, interior design, great croissants (we came from Paris), gym, hamman, library, the tranquility, comfortable bed, pillows, Penhaligons toiletries!

Luxurious!
    • Deluxe Room

As is usual with London rooms aren't very large but this was bigger than most rooms in London

The staff were amazing. I'd requested an early check in but 4hours after I arrived, my room was still unavailable and so the hotel bumped me up to a suite that was available. The hotel was simply gorgeous and I will definately stay there again.

Fabulous place

No interconnecting rooms so we needed to split parents to be with the kids (one each/room).

An excellent renovation by the new owners of this property. One of the best boutique hotels in London. The good was great. The bar is very cosy and with a great selection of wine and cocktails.

Nice, but not worth the price...

This hotel was way too pricey for what it offered. Plus, we felt as though the staff was all about the business transaction. When we arrived after an overnight flight, they immediately sat us down at a table, preauthorized our credit card for the entire stay plus an enormous "security deposit" of 1,000 pounds. Then, they asked if we wanted breakfast...100 pounds for four, and that was after the "discounted" rate for paying at the desk as opposed to at the restaurant. (We knew this was ridiculous, but we were all exhausted and hungry!) Plus, while the staff certainly was generally pleasant, it often seemed like we were the first people to ever ask them to do anything service-wise. We really wanted to like the place, but it simply didn't live up to the cost.

This hotel is chic and, for Europe, the room was a good size. It's on a pretty, quiet residential side street, yet it's very easy to get to some major attractions and shopping. The nice thing is, you don't feel like you are in the thick of things.

Value is 310GBP as max
    • Deluxe Room

Was difficult to meet the manager ; wanted to complaining about the AC - they couldnt do anything to solve it on our first 2 nights , however they upgraded us the rest of our stay to a Junior Suite were the AC was working properly .

The acces to the private garden behind the hotel

london
    • Deluxe Room

Staff were very friendly and eager to help in any way possible. The room are beautiful but could use a bit more room of unpacking , such a dresser or slightly larger closet. great food, would come back to stay.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Very friendly staff, beautiful rooms, perfect choice of...

Air conditioners work in their own very sofisticated way. We didn't succeed in understanding each other. No Russian TV programmes.

Very friendly staff, beautiful rooms, perfect choice of meals for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2019

Love the place the room design clean friendly staff good...
    • Deluxe Room

Love the place the room design clean friendly staff good location just perfect I would be there again definitely

Stayed in May 2019

• Reviewed: 3 May 2019

Everything is perfect!

Everything is perfect!

Stayed in May 2019

Showing 1 – 75

We Price Match
We Price Match
Low rates • No booking fees • Find cheaper? We'll refund the difference!
Browse The Franklin Hotel - Starhotels Collezione traveller photo gallery