Reviews of The Gate Hotel 3 stars

#15 of 15 hotels in Stevenage

5.6

5.9

5.7

Such a tired, downbeat atmosphere...gloomy...a bit smelly...dead...desperately in need of a lick of point and a few bunches of flowers and more light.

I mean...OK it's a low price...and it's a good location...and the bed was comfortable and the water was hot.

IT doesnt have a lift, nobody is there to help you with your luggage, safety=0, anyone can walk in since there is nobody in the reception.

it is ok to stay just for a night. wifi was good

Place is a little shabby and corridors are long and poorly lit. Bathroom lacked reasonable shower gel etc. Couldn't find a hairdryer.

Bathroom was very clean and room was warm

The Gate Hotel promotes itself as a haven of luxury for business men and women in the middle of Stevenage! I arrived around 6pm and no one was on reception. This is a family run business and looks like the proprietor lives opposite. I had to dial a number on the telephone and wait for assistance. I stayed for 3 nights and following check-in (where I was asked to pay for the duration of my stay up front) I didn't see another member of staff for the whole of my stay. I wasn't even told what to do with the key on departure, so I just left it behind the unattended reception, customer service was non existent. As a lone female I didn't want to venture out on my own in the evenings and was hoping to eat in the relative safety of the hotel. However, the only room on the ground floor where I could see dining tables and a bar was in the dark and kept locked for the duration of my stay. Hence I ate in my room all evenings/mornings. There weren't any instructions on the back of the door as to how to raise the fire alarm or what to do in the event of an emergency. No security peep hole on the inside of the door. 'Bedside' lighting on the wall was placed so far away that I had to get out of bed to turn them off. You could hear traffic from the road. The walls are thin and I could almost hear every word a couple were saying in the next room at 2am in the morning! The cups for tea/coffee were so small that I had to make 2 cups each time. Even on departure at 8.30am I took one bag down to the car and went to go back for the other bag, but was locked out. I had to press the intercom to be let in again. This didn't feel like a hotel, in fact I'm not sure how to describe it. No staff to be seen, no communal facilities at all, not even an outside area to wander around, so I was just stuck in the bedroom. I consider this extremely poor value for money at £80 per night (single person) room only.

The bedroom & bathroom had good central heating, the room was a good size, the bathroom was clean but the shower head could do with cleaning. Fridge in room was helpful as I couldn't purchase meals at the hotel, so kept bits in there and ate in my room. Thick curtains kept the light out of the room. Off road free parking. If you aren't planning on spending any time there and don't expect to eat in the hotel, but use it just as a base for sleeping I guess it's ok (ish). The best thing is the location which is good with local amenities within walking distance.

The reception area was dated and felt neglected. Staff were available but only if you phoned them. The bar and restaurant were closed all the time which didn't bother us but if we had wanted a drink or something to eat then there was no chance.

The bed was comfortable, the room was lovely and warm, the water was hot and I loved the sofa in the bedroom. Wifi connection was great.

There was a general air of neglect surrounding the room, there was an open tea bag package, the tea and coffee hadn't been replenished so there was only decaff and no milk. The bathroom light didn't work. the balcony door didn't open, the staff were non existent and to charge 90 pound for this room after staying there is outrageous. Maybe halve that price and I might just consider stopping there again but highly unlikely considering.

Sleeping

poor service!This hotel is badly understaffed . There was never anybody at the reception , neede to dial a number for the receptionist to turn up. That was usually taking more than 10 mins. The lady who seemed to be running the hotel seemed to be rather confused!

Lovely building with character , very spacious & cosy room & a very relaxing double bed!

TRULY SHOCKING SERVICE !!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!! No greeting on arrival, waited about 15 -20 mins, constantly ringing the number given to call at the desk, should someone not be their. Eventually turns up 20 mins later no apology nothing, not a great start. Paid for breakfast with my booking, went down for breakfast at 8.35 baring in mind breakfast finishes at 9am and again no one their again and dinning area not open, went to the desk and for 20- -25 mins i consistently rang the number given again and literally nothing at all, then i thought need to get out of this hell hole and went to check out and guess what no one their again left a written letter on the desk to voice the concerns and left it with my key and still not had one single call explaining what had happened or any kind of apology, the place is a joke and i stay all over the UK but never again !!!!

Old and a bit musty!!! Felt a little like i was trapped in a timewarp! staff were profficient but looked uninterested we were guests, no one at check out just a frosty lady at check in who came from the adjacent house. Will look elsewhere when down here again for business Shower was a joke

Location was good

Rude front of house staff who argued with me that signage wasn't clear late at night for on site parking which left me having to pay overnight for parking. then I was told there was no breakfast despite it being advertised on their website. No apology for either. when I said I'd be leaving a review she said ' I don't acre. People never read the reviews, Stevenage is a busy place - we will always be busy. i travel a lot for work around the country - never have I faced such awful customer services. Avoid at all costs

a good sized bed

Kitchen was out of order so no breakfast available. Receptionist wasn't particularly welcoming.

Room was comfortable, clean and spacious, location was very convenient for Stevenage old town

Nobody in Reception on arrival (had to telephone) Nobody in Reception on departure Bar closed Restaurant closed Shower pressure - just a trickle! Insufficient towels for 2 people

Scruffy. Unmanned reception. Out of date milk in room. Poor servicing of room.

Had nothing going for it. Just reminded me of the Hotel California song by the eagles. Probably the last time it was decorated too.

Where to start.... Arrived to non existent reception with a notice to call a number & a phone besides it.... place was so deserted. Called the number & no answer. the phone then rang - surely answering a phone call upon check-in isn't the 'norm'?? when the lady eventually got there I got a very negative welcome, I even got a lecture for paying through booking.com. No option of Breakfast, bar is defunct, restaurant non-existent. Parking a challenge due to the overgrowth in the carpark. The door in my room to the balcony was missing a seal so the road noise was terrible (as well as the blasting of horns from the freight trains at 6am)....I'd have been as well off sleeping on the roundabout adjecent to the hotel!The building overall looks as if it was built in the 60's and has remained exactly the same from day1. It oozes potential but unfortunately i don't think the current owners will do anything to adapt it to be a little more modern. I was planning to complain on check-out but you guessed it, no1 there & a phone call told me to leave the key on the desk! I'll not be staying here again that's for sure.

Easy to get to from A1, bed was comfy.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room very dated and hotel very dark. Needs lots more light and a good brighten up

easily accessible to train station and near by shops/restaurants

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

No staff present at reception on arrival or departure. No restaurant. No ice available for drinks at the bar, stale flat tonic water at the bar, untidy sitting area in bar, dirty entrance to the hotel. No electricity turned on in downstairs toilet area. Generally a badly run hotel. We will not be returning.

Situation near to Stevenage Old Town. Having the facility of a bath.

There was no hot water supply in the bathroom. When tried to contact someone absolutely no response. Later when we complained it to someone at the desk, she did not even bother to take it seriously. I would never recommend this hotel.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The kitchen was closed. If I had have been told that I would not have booked to stay there. No good when there is no breakfast. The room was also unbearably hot. Furnishings were dated and worn.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

The smell in the corridors and the rooms. The corridors smelt of smoking, which was unpleasant for someone who doesn't smoke.

The room was spacious.

The room overall size was good and decoration was ok, however the bathroom in room 24 had the a artex falling off the ceiling and needs refurbishing.

Just location as was convenient for us and close to town. Very overpriced for just a bed without breakfast. Need to review prices

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

The reception was unnamed and my room door didn't lock and the shower holder was broken .and was not asked if it we would like breakfast.

Free parking

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

Greeting was non existent -Receptionist not friendly. No breakfast available at all. Excuse was leak in kitchen. No effort to provide croissants etc as a token gesture.

Room was spacious

• Reviewed: 29 January 2017

No bar or restaurant open .When asked about breakfast said it would be very early if I wanted it when I said don't bother then there was a great look on her face as to say that's what I wanted to hear. Got the feeling she couldn' t be bothered to do anything .Wouldn't go back again .Do not recommend it 0 out of 10

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

See above

Despite several reminders that I sent them they have not given me a vat invoice. Atrocious service. Shower was not working!!!! Breakfast absolutely dismal

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was no one at reception when I arrived. When I checked out I did not receive my invoice as there was a problem with the printer, and getting it sent via email required a lot of chasing up from my side.

Hotel was easy to get to from the station.

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

Good price with all facilities available.Every bedroom has a TV and tea and coffee making facilities. A modern private bathroom in each room has a hair dryer. Enjoyed my stay at gate hotel.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Shame trhe restauramt wasn't open in the evening during my stay. It would have been nice if the hotel had a lift No key was provided for the door to the balcony froom the room. Automatic lighting a litte flaky in the 1st floor

Friendly helpful staff. Proximity to non nhs Hospital for visiting partner

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

The room was superficially clean but there were cobwebs and thick dust on the radiator, light fittings, sockets and case rack. The curtains were hanging off the pole and the soft furnishings were tired and dated. There was someone on reception at check in only and there appeared to be only 1 member of staff floating around. He was very pleasant despite minimal English. At almost £80 per night room only..... very overpriced

It was quite, there was a fridge and free wifi. The bed was comfy. Free parking.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

Was accused by the lady who checked me in of not ringing the number on the sign (200), I did. She then said she didn't see me come in despite hearing the door go, as if it was my fault that they don't have someone on the check in desk. I had to ring the hotel mainline from my mobile to get someone to check me in.

Comfy bed, good for a nights sleep. TV, great WiFi speed. Location great for food at tesco or in old town.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

When I booked, the information stated that there was a restaurant - when signing in I was told that I could get my meals either from a local Tesco and eat in my room - or go to the old town - 10 mins away - and eat in one of the local bars. This is not ideal for a person on their own - I expected to have a meal at night in my hotel. Very few people actually staying in hotel - which probably was why the restaurant wasn't open. Breakfast was available - although the waiter had difficulty understanding what I wanted to eat - instead of egg, bacon and tomato - I received cooked bacon and cold tomato. Not a normal cooked breakfast option ! Nobody on reception at any time - you had to use a phone to call someone from the attached house - so the hotel felt deserted - My room was on first floor - with no lift in the hotel - although my suitcase was taken upstairs by one of the owners. I made two journeys to bring everything down when I left. I stayed two nights and usually I would expect that there would be a housekeeping service (making up beds and clean towels etc) I came back after first day to find the room as I had left it in the morning - so had to make my own bed. I do this at home, but don't expect that in a hotel which is charging for my stay.

The room was roomy and clean.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Executive Double Room

No one on reception when checking out just a sign saying call this number and when we did was told to leave key on reception desk and that was it no good bye or how was your stay or anything.

Very large and spacious room with 4 poster bed and large bathroom with double jacuzzi bath.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Dust on all surfaces in room Some plug sockets didn't work No iron in room, but was brought one up.

The bed was super comfy Perfect location Price was ok

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Faulty towers comes to mind Nobody there to greet us, hotel was like a ghost town No towels in room room was extremely minimal definitely get more value elsewhere nothing at all in the bathroom except toilet and shower soap residue all over soap holder on check out had to call a number - couldn't be bothered to check us out so said to leave key on reception

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

Grumpy staff, no reception, restaurant not open, worn out and wonky furniture in risk of collapse. Asked for extra tea and milk never got it. Not staying again.

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

Some things may be freshen up. I had a hole in my towel. Good price-quality. This hotel deserves much better than most of the negative evaluations on the internet !

Marvellous bed, I slept very well. WiFi very good ! Nice bath. shoe brushing machine. Quiet room despite busy part of the city. Center of Stevenage only on walk distance away. Situated on a good location !

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

Door lock was not obvious. The coffee at breakfast was not hot enough.

Very comfortable bed. Location was excellent. Near the old town and the railway station.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

Room had not been cleaned properly. Bar was closed and when open couldn't server anything from draft as the pumps were broken. Most of sockets in the room did not work and most light bulbs had blown.

Bed was comfy.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

It was a pity that there was no breakfast available on the days of our visit due to work being carried out on the kitchen, but obviously breakfast is normally available.

The room was comfortable and the wall-to-wall carpets absorbed the sound to ensure that other guests were not disturbed.

QUIET AND VERY CLEAN HAD A GOOD REST ,THAT WAS WHAT I NEEDED THANK YOU..

It was a bit characterless, stuck in a time warp.

Location for getting to the station, and selection of restaurants nearby

Property run down and could do with a makeover

Location and off street parking

1980s decor scruffy room unfriendly staff poor facilities

lacking small touches eg no spoon or sugar etc and took while to check in old fashioned way of doing it

bed comfortable and was clean

Restaurant closed

Chequers pub near by

Good size room

Fixings are very old and used up.No soap in dispenser and 1 cup in the room for tea. Pillows are very soft not fit for purpose.

Bed broken, blood stained bedding, tea/coffee always empty never replenished. Cobwebs, 50’s decor, no staff, weird set up.

heating inconsistent

Tired and needed a good clean

Staff aren’t very welcoming

Very nice breakfast. Large room with very comfortable bed . Large space for car parking .

Location, room size.

The location was ideal and my room had everything i needed.

no wifi monday. door left open after room service Tuesday. No towels or room clean Thursday. weak shower pressure.

bed was comfortable

Basically everything was great

Location, tranquility, welcome, great place to reach London

location was spot on

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

No breakfast! would not have book this having known before

Bar only served bottle or canned beer. always had to ring at reception to speak to staff.

the room was fine but dated

A bit dated is understatement

The room was cool and comfortable but place could do with a good refurbishment

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very tired and old fashioned, needs a complete refurb, not worth £95/night room only.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

No one on reception on arrival and the balcony door was locked meaning the room was very very hot

The shower and bed

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Neither the bar or restaurant was open.

Within walking distance of town centre restaurants

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

There is no one to greet you when you arrive - or leave! PLace is a bit dingy and could do with freshening up.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Very dated hotel but also very clean.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

bed ok only one extra pillow near main road so room was noisey, double glazing not the best for sound proofing.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

“Excellent location, value for money. I was extremely impressed with service I had from this hotel.Will definitely use again if in the area.”

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

mini fridge in the room and ample coffee and toiletries supplies

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Peaceful and quiet hotel , I was able to get a good nights rest after a long trip

• Reviewed: 17 December 2016

I'd stay there again

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

The location of the hotel

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

The very uncomfortable old bed and they don't have powerful shower.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

• Executive Double Room

shower was not working.

• Reviewed: 9 November 2016

bed was comfortable but a little too soft for me

good breakfast

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

Welcome poor; little information on food, etc. No staff on site in the morning.

Location ok, and easy to get to/from A1.

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

Didn't see any staff except a breakfast. Poor options for breakfast - toast and cereal or burnt sausages. Dining room cold.