Reviews of The George

#19 of 21 hotels in Stoke on Trent

6.2

6.2

5.9

The 1st room we was given was an absolute disgrace with wallpaper falling off wall, back of bathroom door paint was bubbling off, mould in shower and windowsill, walls were filthy and even picture was hung upside down!!! The breakfast was complimentary due to issues with 1st room given but had 1 morning as stayed for 2 nights due to it being awful and everything was deep fried. Surroundings were run down. Disappointed as it was meant to be a comfortable base as we was out as a family through the 2 days.

The lovely evening receptionist who has now sadly left as she sorted the room out which I booked.

old rundown furniture and dreadful lights its such a shame as it would only need a bit of TLC and the room we were in (119) would be top class.

Convenient location..very pleasant staff...very clean bed linen .. bathroom and towels etc all.clean and smelt fresh

The entire hotel

Nothing Wallpaper pealing of the walls. Carpet filthy. Being used as half way house for homeless. People clearly on drugs in room opposite. Property feels unsafe as a result. Horrific are the only words to describe this place Avoid avoid avoid.

There was a wedding on this weekend and it was a bit noisy. There has been weddings there before when we have been there so I know to take a pair of ear plugs with me just incase.

The location of The George is ideal for our reason to visit Burslem. Another bonus is the Kismet restaurant across the road.

1. Room very dated 2. Bathroom not cleaned from previous guests (old toiletries) 3. very stained carpet 4. Stained walls 3. camp bed broken in places 5. Woken up by other guests shouting in corridor 6. curtain pole came off the wall when we tried to close the curtains. Did not sleep well due to sunlight in room

The only good thing about this Hotel was the staff. The building was tired and rooms were disgusting.

The pictures did not match. Very poor, TV not working, the carpet was dirty and furniture very old , we have asked to change it but it was not possible.

The staff was friendly

There was a constant stale smell of the carpet in the room and hallway. The window sill was rotten. There scraps of paper on the floor when I arrived on scene.

Extremely dirty! There were sand on the bed, floor and dust every where Goshh!!! Saying it is the dirtiest hotel I have stayed in is an understatement. It is also extremely old and rusty too! I wish I could give "0" star.

A bit shabby - clearly seen better days but then that describes the Potteries in general I guess. This is a tale of faded grandeur but clean, well-staffed and far from shabby.

I loved the friendliness of the staff - lovely people.

could not sleep. springs of mattress poking in my back. Could not sleep and when i moved spring hurt my back. Made my working day uncomfortable as i was tired and back hurt. Light above sink did not work in bathroom. Floor carpet dirty. Pubic hair on top of the quilt. But clean quilt?

staff are so nice and friendly and helpful. Breakfast

No lift. Only one power point in room. Peeling paint and wallpaper in room. Sweet paper on the floor in the room when we arrived. Parking was very limited.

Large room with high ceilings and internet. Large en suite bathroom. Friendly staff. Free tea and coffee in room and more supplied free on request.

Information on breakfast time, told breakfast finished at 10 am , it was 9.00 am so we missed it. They damaged my credit card when paying so I have to get a replacement.

The place was shabby and needed compleatly refebushed. Shabby carpets etc. Hotel to expensive . And wasent happy that their was no restaurant.

The staff were lovely. Breakfast was good.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Once inside the reception area and communal areas were very tired and in desperate need of renovation. Our booking was wrong, we had booked a family room and only a triple room was available. Luckily with some rearranging we were sorted.

The room was adequate and clean with plenty of space.

the house keepers seems to be lazy

just home away from home super fast internet that supports your business work even away from office.The receptionist are very good

The hotel looked like it had been grand previously but now looked a bit tired & in need of a refurb/investment. But the location/cost was ideal for what we needed.

We just needed a cheap room or the night as we were arriving late & leaving early. Had everything we needed.

Seemed to have rented rooms to the Council and had a family staying with some obvious grief from their partner - at one point I thought the problem was coming to the hotel... not what I needed.

The staff were very helpful and polite

- Staff very rude and unpleasant. - The website needs to be updated, gave me information that WAS NOT on the website. - Outdated and old bed rooms, grimy, dirty bathrooms, smell, rotting carpet and wallpaper - Water was cold - Horrible smell of vomit, alcohol, rot, DAMP EVERYWHERE - Insects in the room - Spider webs in the corners, plus spiders everywhere

What did I like? LEAVING THE PLACE IS WHAT I LIKED! Never again! If I had to say one thing I liked, it would be the doors closing behind me, because I'm NEVER going to open them again. UGH

Comfortable and warm room, room had tea making facilities which is always welcome. Bathroom was clean with shower gel and shampoo. Nice breakfast room and spacious bar. Secure undercover parking and security on at night.

The hotel is dated. It would appear to be used as a refuge for homeless families as one family had been there for nearly a month. We were awoken by a stranger knocking on our door after midnight. Reported to reception.

Good value and quality breakfast.

Stair carpets are a little worn but nothing major.

Our stay was for only 1 night, the staff were very helpful and polite. The room was basic but all we needed. We would definitely return again.

This is a government drop in hostel They all congregate outside the front door will Not move aside smoking it is frightening they all live on the top floors it is not I disagree but they then try to run a hotel laughable and disgusting I am so disappointed that booking.com allow this

One of the beds was dreadful, the base was broken and mattress very worn out so all very saggy and uncomfortable, luke warm shower and the mugs were very dirty. Could do with a good hoover.

Extremely friendly staff. Great location. Secure parking. Fabulous old building. Clean sheets and towels. Not at all noisey despite being on a main road. Good value

We, and our wider family have regularly used the George, Hotel, Burslem, a much loved grand hotel, for more than 40 years. It is clear the current owners are running this previously magnificent hotel, down. The bar/ lounge area does not serve any form of food there was only limited bottled beer and soft drinks in the bar. A Saturday night, there appeared to be only 3 rooms taken, The full breakfast was disgusting, being 100% pre frozen and served with some ingredient's still in that condition. Coffee was just cheap instant. The receptionist was a 16-18 yr old girl with no experience. With so few residents, why were we put in a room close to a neighbouring Night club, and the toilet had a poorly function machinater rather than a normal flush WC We left the building saying, with real sadness, that we will never set foot in it again

The rooms was very nice and warm on a frosty night

See above

Location good. Staff welcoming. We stay here at least twice a year. Always on new years day. Shower curtain was full of mould and room carpet heavily stained. Wouldn't want to stay in room 108 again.

The [free] wifi was pretty bad. The shower could have been warmer. The carpet is worn and the decor dated but for me it added to the charm of the place.

The building itself reminded me of The Grand Budapest Hotel. It's a beautiful old building that has seen better days. The decor was dated which didn't bother me, but the room itself was spotlessly clean which was most important. Free parking was handy.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

A fantastic old building, with fabulous old features and decorations in the communal areas - reception, bar, dining room. However, room had a leaky tap, pealing paint on bathroom door and windowsill and looked in need of little spruce up. Ceiling paper in need of a lick of paint.

A fantastic old building, with fabulous old features and decorations in the communal areas - reception, bar, dining room. Bedroom was a fantastic size. Beds were comfortable, towels changed daily (despite only being there for two days) and the heating was on over what was a very cold weekend so we were comfortably warm (able to control heat levels on both radiators). Staff were very friendly and welcoming. Breakfast was perfect with a good choice of fruit juices and cereals, with excellent hot options - what we had was very delicious.

A bit of a route march to room with confusing numbering.

Comfortable room although a little on small side. Freshly cooked breakfast to a good standard. Attentive staff.

A very old, tired hotel needing TLC. Rooms were filthy, dirty and cramped. . Complained day 1, was moved and the bill increased! Refused to give contact details. Staff undertrained - no authority.

Breakfast was ok.

The staff was so friendly and helpful.We took our 2 dogs and the hotel is excellent as a dog friendly place to stay.We could even have our breakfast in the morning and we ate it in the bar that was very big and we could have our dogs with us.The room was very clean and big as there was 2 adults and my 15 yr old daughter.Excellent location with plenty of shops near by.

The hotel was quite dated. The rooms smelt of smoke despite being no smoking. The fire alarm went off for a brief time at 7am.

The bar area was very quiet and spacious

Uncomfortable mattress, toilet hygiene and my room smelt of stale cigarette smoke, I also had one curtain hanging off of the rail

Location and friendly helpful staff

There was a protest going on across the street at Swan Square upon our arrival. It was very uncomfortable as we didn't know how long it was to go on; however, the staff handled the situation excellently.

The room was basic but fine, the bed a bit hard and the carpet was definitely in need of replacing.

Parking limited to first come first serve, however meters in the road outside.

Clean comfortable rooms, very friendly helpful staff. Would stay here again.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Upon arrival no car parking available and told to find parking in nearby streets at a cost to us and vehicle would have to be moved by 9am. The rooms were beyond dated, the broken sprung mattresses that made a loud ping noise every time you turn over in bed, the dirt, the broken roller blinds that you couldn’t close in the bathroom therefore showering or going to the toilet at night can be seen, the fact that I had booked a family room and on arrival found they had no family room available therefore my family had to be split with no compensation. It was assumed I would allow two young children to sleep in a twin room alone (5&10 years), this was not an option therefore my husband and I had to sleep apart. No reply to two emails of complaint. Not even an acknowledgement. No compensation in any form from Manageress who claimed to not be authorised to compensate or refund. Terrible customer service and this is from a very easy going family that never complains. By far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

State of room - Blind in bathroom was falling apart and would not close. Hole in bedroom carpet. No mirror beside hair dryer. Frayed carpet in corner of room. Dirty carpet. Shortage of breakfast bowls & glasses. Being regular customers we noticed that the hotel had deteriorated dramatically, ie there was duct tape covering the worn patches of carpet on the stairs.

Poor decoration. Shabby stairs and corridors. Poor breakfast choice. No fruit. No pastries, just plain toast. Poor quality of the coffee (instant)

Old world character! Friendly reception.

The room smelt of sewage and cigarette smoke. It also felt unclean and the bed was uncomfortable. The fire alarm rang at 5.30am and we did not receive an apology.

The staff were nice.

The room I was given was unacceptable, the décor, the cleanliness and the location (in the basement) were substandard, even for a supposed 3* Hotel. The corridors into the basement smelled of smoke and cleaning products, really off-putting. When I complained, I was given a different room which was marginally better but again did not match the room that I booked. It looks like they operate a first come - first served (to the nice rooms) policy, as the online photos indicate there may be some nicer rooms upstairs, but my experience of this hotel was like something out of The Shining and I would not recommend staying there, unless you can confirm to have snagged one of the nicer rooms (as per the photos online). I was offered free breakfast, however I did not take them up on this offer.

The hotel location itself was fine

Rooms were grubby, required some modernisation, and of the 3 we saw, a couple were at the end of highly convoluted routes, with makeshift directional signs. Decor was dated, and there were grubby, dirty marks on walls, mattresses other room items. Furniture was old and tatty.

Not a lot

The property (room) looked very tired looking and worn as seen in the photos. It wasn’t clean and just felt very dated and aged. The room was okay but I felt it wasn’t worthy of the £63 price tag considering the condition it was in.

Nice staff as they were very helpful and the breakfast was nice.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Instant coffee for breakfast. Dirty curtains. Treadbare carpets. But it’s still got a certain charm. Just get some decent coffee!

Lovely staff. Beautiful interval building.

Dont stay here if you want to have a shower in the morning or you need a lift to get upstairs!!! No shower in the room, no lift to get up stairs. Its location is far away from Hanley and the main town. The hotel is very tired and dated, needs a complete overhall. £ 81.00 was for to expensive for this hotel. Dave the night porter is a happy chap.

Patched-up carpets, smelly narrow corridors, everything was old and not in a good way

The location was great if, like us, you wanted to be in the centre of Burslem. We had a good night sleep. Staff were friendly.

The area is very run down and there is no where to eat nearby and the hotel doesn't serve food except breakfast, the only food nearby are takeaways which I didn't fancy the look of so had to travel to Hanley but it was only a £4.50 taxi ride. The car park is tiny and full of pillars so you'd be lucky to get a space. The room was I desperate need of renovation. The carpet was stained, there were cracks in the ceiling and water marks all over the walls. The window was rotten, the brown valance on the bed wasn't even on properly and the mattress was lumpy. It wasn't pretty but was clean enough and we only stayed one night but that was enough for me.

Staff were nice and helpful

The bathroom needed a bit of updating, with a rather worn shower and sink, and overall the hotel is a bit old-fashioned and dated - but that's arguably part of its charm, and it's the old "you-get-what-you-pay-for" situation with a cheaply-priced hotel. The fact that the hotel is in Burslem - and not Stoke-on-Trent's city centre of Hanley, or closer to Stoke Rail Station - may surprise and disappoint some travellers who stay at The George; I know Stoke very well, so knew where I was going to be staying in terms of its location, but this issue needs to be pointed out for visitors new to The Potteries. In any case, Burslem's got some cracking pubs, new and old!

The George Hotel is excellent value-for-money. It is a basic but comfortable hotel at the "budget" end of the market. The staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel has adequate bar and breakfast facilities. It is situated in the centre of Burslem, one of the six towns that comprise the city of Stoke-on-Trent. There are lots of pubs. cafes, shops, and restaurants next to The George - and the bus stop for transport into other parts of Stoke-on-Trent (particularly the official city centre, Hanley, just five minutes' bus journey away) is right outside the hotel.

there was a bottle cork under cabinet plus one of the single beds seemed to have sunk in the middle

breakfast was excellent .location in centre of town good

I stayed here with my 3 year old as we wanted to travel yoAlton towers on the staturday(which is 30) mins away. We checked in 6pmand was greeted by a great lady who was very helpful! We went to room which was very spacious had hair dryer, Tv phone, tea and coffee facilities with proper mugs! Towels on beds as well as hand towel in bathroom with soap, shower gel and shampoo!! This building is old and may be dated to some but you have to take this in mind also any one in wheelchair would struggle!! Car park was under property as such!! I would defo return and what people seem to forget the reasonable prices yet they want Ritz standards!! Breakfast was great and the ladies was great with my little boy!! I would definitely return. Great value for money

Needs a bit of TLC, paint work definitely needs too be looked at, peeling off. The sink in our bathroom was not even straight!!! And most frustrating there was no plug by the dressing table.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

The fire alarm went of at 5am which was highly frustrating. The room could have done with some dusting in the corners. The breakfast options were very limited and not worth the additional price onto the room; I would advise breakfasting elsewhere. It's quite far from Stoke-on-Trent train station, about an hour's walk.

Good value for money, but you get what you pay for. There are lots of cafes and restaurants nearby the George hotel.

Bitten by things in bed. Bed very old and uncomfortable and staff refused to aknowledge that this was a problem when made a complaint. Never ever stay here.

This hotel is extremely dilapidated & run down. It desperately needs a refurbishment. Definitely hasn't had anything done to it in decades! Breakfast was an absolute joke, my daughter was left waiting 45 minutes for eggs benedict & when it did finally arrive it wasn't as she ordered it. Our waiter took an order for tea for five, 20 minutes later when I asked where the tea was, I was told it was self service at the too of the room, he never mentioned this to us when we were ordering.

When I asked my children what did they like, they said "LEAVING"! The only positive I could find is that the parking was secure.

As my son has been selected to play at Stoke City academy we were looking for somewhere to stay regularly most weekends and this location was ideal. Unfortunately his first fixture was cancelled and the staff very unhelpful. We didn't care whether we had a refund just wanted to change dates . In view that this could have been regular custom I would have thought there would have been some flexibility. Very dusappointing

Well located when searching for accomodation on line but following having to cancel at short notice hotel very uncooperative

The room had not been vacuumed, dirt and bits of paper on the carpet, not enough milk or tea. I asked the receptionist for more tea and milk she came back with a jug of milk, not suitable as there was no fridge. The doors were sticky when opening especially the main door to the hotel. Hotel was used as a half way house. This hotel used to be the premier hotel in Burslem. Extremely let down, I would NOT recommend staying here

Staff service apart from the one male who was very helpful and found us another room to move to.

On arrival the room which the hotel had provided for us was appalling basement room with slug trails, no remote or hairdryer even though it notes these on the website. The room smelt of damp was very small (no wardrobe or anywhere to hang our clothes) small set of drawers and the cleanliness left a lot to be desired. One member of staff attempted to find us a hairdryer without success however I feel he could observe the inappropriateness of the room and our situation and after a while came back to our room to inform us there was no spare hairdryers and offered us another room which was much more appropriate regarding space, cleanliness, facilities.

The place is literally falling apart everywhere. Thread bear carpets everywhere, holes in showers, curtains hanging off the rails. And the night porter was shocking.

The bed was amazing and xomfortable

Full English breakfast didn't have all items on plate until requested.

Good central up and coming location with interesting traditional shops still functioning. Very comfortable room with large bath

Price afternoon's is a very tired hotel tea coffee was cold at breakfast

Bed was comfy room bit scruffy carpets well worn on stairs shower was grubby no hair dryer curtains was hanging of the rail

See above

The hotel looks the business until you get into your room. The carpets were filthy, the shower didn't work and the bath waste plug didn't exist, it made getting ready for work in the morning very interesting to say the least!

I don't really understand all the terrible reviews for the George. I've stayed with my 3 year old son and the room was very big and clean. The staff is friendly and helpful and breakfast was lovely. The hotel is a fantastic building with lots of character. And all this for less than a travelodge.

Threadbare carpets Filthy carpets so old that they have hairs and crumbs embedded Marks on wallpaper Damp and mold on shower ceiling tiles No aircon Rips in bed at room 201 Tv remote had no back Breakfast was late and messed up both mornings with coffee served in a teapot and overcooked greasy hash brown and scrambled eggs done like rubber. No sauces or condiments on tables Toast was cold No bath in hote room and everything tired and stained and old The side tables had coffee rings on them that washed off when we tried with little effort.

The outside of the building and parking were ok.

squeaky bed every time you moved head bored coming off..staff didn't know what they was doing was told 7-10 for breakfast to go downstairs at 9.20 to say breakfast finished at 9 and also cleaner decided to go all in whilst still asleep

it was clean had tea and coffee in room cleaner came in every day

Couldn't ask for a better hotel. A pity it wasn't disability friendly, but it is an old hotel.

Had a small accident while at Stoke and ended up being confined to the bedroom. The staff couldn't have be nicer. They don't do room service as a rule, but I got looked after well.

Our shower was tiny and the plumbing was rather noisy when you ran a tap or flushed the toilet.

The staff were very friendly and efficient. Big comfy armchairs in the lounge/bar. It's a rather rundown hotel but it has lots of character. Our room was clean and the bed, whilst not plush, was comfortable. We went on a hot day but our room was nice and cool even though there was no air-conditioning. It's in a rather rundown area of Stoke but if you go a short walk around the area you'll see some beautiful buildings. Perfect for a one night stopover. Very cheap too.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

No decaf coffee just instant caffinated. No mattress protector. Very uncomfortable bed could feel the springs. No buffet breakfast. No skimmed milk. No decaf coffee. Carpets threadbare. Decor needs a real facelift. Only mirror in room was other side of the room to the fixed hairdryer and no sockets near mirror to dry hair. A desk in room but no plugs nearby to use laptop.

Staff were welcoming

The hotel was once very grand but now very sad. Carpets taped down in places , they actually need replacing. The whole building needs a refit. The double room was cramped, could hardly move around the bed. The wire on the kettle was so short that we had to balance it on the windowledge! Not very safe! Everything was tired and old fashioned. The coffee at breakfast was powdered instant, there was no fruit on offer, it was basic. It was disappointing.

The staff were outstanding in their friendliness and helpfulness. They made it a good experience. The location was good for us as in not too far from where our friends live and there is a bus stop outside which took us south th the Emma Bridgewater factory where we were attending a Literary Festival. The price was very reasonable and breakfast included.

Needs a total overhaul. My room was seriously in need of decoration. Paper peeling off and holes and scuff marks all over the walls. Needs more plug sockets.

Staff were friendly and the bed was clean, breakfast good.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

The room smelled stale and dirty, the wardrobe had 5 hangers in it and stank so badly of sweat and possibly even cat urine, that we couldn't bring ourselves to put our clothes in it. Room was v small, mattresses thin and lumpy. We repacked our suitcase and left after half an hour.

This is a sad-looking hotel that is desperately in need of refurbishment, not much to like other that the architecture of the outside of the building

I was disappointed that my booking appeared to be missing, fortunately I had printed my booking conformation and as a result I had an upgraded room at no extra charge.

The hotel, although in need of refurbishment is always clean and the rooms comfortable. The staff are usually helpful and pleasant.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

Really needs renovation, very tired and dated rooms. Worn carpets, bathroom walls and lino made it feel grubby. Couldn't find the wifi router in my room, so couldn't get onto the internet

Staff were friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Cleanliness an issue, holes in carpets, dirty mouldy bathrooms, torn carpets, smelly hotel and extremely rundown. Definitely not 3 star!

Staff were pleasant

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Shower was small I had to go though a maze to get to the room breakfast was massively overpriced

Location was excellent bed was comfortable plenty of space in the room

The place itself is run down badly needs a refurbishment the decor is very dated. beds not very comfortable at all. thread bare carpets throughout the place. breakfast was not very good some of the food came out cold. Unfortunately we won't be staying in there any more it's definitely not a three star hotel in my books it also said the rooms were none smoking but found burn marks in the carpets in our room the TV didn't work and the kettle switched It's self on when it felt like it the TV and kettle were sorted by the staff .

The staff at the George I couldn't fault nice friendly would go the extra mile to sort things out if they could. the towels were changed on a daily basis.

The breakfast was great and the staff were wonderful. The hotel has seen better days and for the money was not quite up to scratch though it was very clean and welcoming.

The room badly needs painting the walls were dirty. The whole room could be updated. The side lights have no lamp shades on them so it is very bright when you are lying in bed. Breakfast wasn't included and for £85 I would think it should be.

The bed was amazingly comfortable. They had tea and coffee in the room.