Reviews of Georgian House Hotel

Ashbourne Road, Derby, DE223AD, United Kingdom

#19 of 23 hotels in Derby

Room was a little tired, could have done with a towel hook next to the sink in the room and a place to put toiletries -

Staff really friendly, great location- lovely garden and bar, yummy breakfast

Nothing; although the mattress will need replacing soon - I had the 4-poster room, although I hadn't requested it, which was huge, with a large bathroom, too.

Full of character: wood panelling, huge mirrors, antique furniture. The name says it all. Also a bar/pub with outdoor seating and it all looked very convivial. Car parking at the back; excellent location on the Ashbourne Road, about a 5-minute walk from the centre.

Room and décor a bit worn. But ok for the money. Annoying noisy people outside back at 8am on a Sunday. Probably staff who should know better!!

Staff were friendly and helpful.

small things which didn't matter to me;- there were no towels put out, there was no remote control for the TV. And waterproof plastic cases on the mattresses!

marvellous people. Glorious quirky hotel, and superb adjoined pub with great food at wonedrfully low prices.

Bedroom door lock latch screws is comes off and if I gave screwdriver I would put matchsticks in and re-screw it. I forgot to tell them lol

Beautiful for old building external and internal it should be not 5 stars as it SLOUD BE 6 stars!

view from window not nice could see things placed out there which were no longer wanted, could be sorted easy.

nice people, quirky place would stay again .we did not have breakfast as we were slightly hung over . the bar is something not to be missed

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Our shower was quite small. I could not bend down to wash my feet!

We had a room with a four poster bed, which was different. The beer garden was great to sit out in as the weather was really hot when we were there.

I booked breakfast one evening for the next day. Next day I waited 15 minutes in the dining room with no sign of staff hence running out of time I had to leave without breakfast. On checking out, I still had to pay for the breakfast which felt a tad unfair.

Very Convenient for me

Room dirty, carpet not hoovered, bed uncomfortable, bathroom had toiletries from previous guests, breakfast was terrible and staff unfriendly.

Close to university to visit our son.

Breakfast slightly disappointing value.

Charming olde worlde establishment. Friendly staff Adjoining pub is full of character Moved me to ground floor room when saw I was using a stick

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

The furniture did not only look old the showed quite some ware. The wardrobe had no key so the door would swing open if not held by a (already in place) concussion. The room was pretty dusty in the higher regions which I figured when I moved the curtains of the bed and the windows. Never the less the room did smell fresh. The location of the bathroom is great and has a lot of potential to make it match the bedroom. But the shower was very small the rest rather simple and not clean... maybe the cleaner forgot the bathroom after the last gust? Toothpaste in the sink, stripes in the WC. In comparison to my colleagues room who had a clean spacious modern shower in a large bathroom.

The place is really old and original but located at a main road towards the front. I had booked a four post bed room (extra charge) and I got what I asked for. An almost Victorian style bedroom.. A princess bed for myself incl a number of other 'antiques' like a dressing table wardrobe.... separate bathroom with shower attached to the room My colleague had booked a modern/standard room wit less aspire.

The place needs a really good clean!!!! The sheets were stained, the wardrobe & drawers were full of dust. The glasses served at the bar were filthy!

The staff were very friendly, the breakfast was good.

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

The bedroom was dusty with cobwebs all over the ceiling. Patches of damage throughout the room. The website states free wifi throughout the property but was unavailable in the room I had.

Place is a little run down but reflected in the price. What wasn't so good was the room was not as clean as it could have been, attention to detail.

Staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful. Really liked the bar, full of character. An interesting hotel to stay in.

Room hadn't been properly cleaned, view from window was of rubbish piled on decking outside, double bed way too narrow for 2 leading to poor night's sleep (room14 not comfortable for 2)5 light bulbs in the room had blown as had the only light in the shower room. Shower very small. Decor in need of refreshing. Dinner in the pub straightforward pub food, don't expect anything special.

Character, good pub downstairs with great atmosphere and comprehensive choice of beers, friendly staff, beautiful old building, hearty breakfast. The place has the potential to be a real destination, but needs some investment and TLC.

As a light sleeper, I was kept awake by traffic noise. if I go there again I shall ask for a room which does not face the main road outside.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The bar food was of a high standard, and plenty of Real Ale is available.

Curtains were already a little off the hooks when we entered the room and the internal second glass on the window wouldn't catch shut

Character- it was hundreds of years old, we had fourposter bed in our room, floors sloped, bar interesting, staff friendly

When I arrived the reception had no record of my booking. Fortunately there were spare rooms. The TV did not work - No channel found. After 2 attempts by the staff to fix it the same problem was not fixed.

When I first booked they noticed that two bookings had been madre for the same person and rang to check if it was an error - efficient. The staff were friendly and efficient. The place has a lot of atmosphere and interest.

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Whilst not dirty the hotel is starting to look a littl tired and in need of some serious tlc

The room, and indeed the entire hotel, is furnished with an eclectic taste in old fashioned furniture which at first view seems very confused and yet also adds an air of interest and character to the whole establishment.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The shower was a little small and not all the lamps were working

The food was very good, the room was all we needed, the bar was good fun but above all it was the staff that made our stay, they were very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

The single room was quite cramped and the shower could have been better. There was some noise from an adjacent room.

An old building (as the name implies) with interesting different areas to sit or have a drink. A pleasant garden but next to the car park. Staff were very friendly. Both the locally brewed beer and the breakfast were very good.

The TV did not work and when arrived I had to wait 15 mins and then call the number on the cards to get someone to check me in. Not a great first impression!

It was clean and quiet and walking distance from the centre.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Booked us in a ground floor room next door to a function/party going out outside our room when we needed to put a 2yr old to bed. It was specified when booking that we had a small child with us.

The receptionist was very good about the situation and gave us a refund when requested.

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

It may be that it is a listed building and they can’t remediate but the sash windows were in bad shape - noisy when wind blowing, kept hearing tapping noise, they let the outside noise in and also the wind.

Food was lovely wholesome pub food, beer battered fish excellent

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Only downside was the shower in room was very disappointing and also at breakfast a plate of food was placed in front of us without asking what we wanted or if anyone had an allergy.

Loved the quirkiness

We had assumed there would be a complimentary hairdrier to use in the room - wrong. There were no written instructions on how to use the TV especially as it was on radio mode when we moved in. The central heating was either not on, or maybe we should have pushed something to make it work but couldn't see anything to allow us to do so. The toilet flushing system was running all night but we did report this to Reception in the morning.

The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful but the facilities in the room were not what we might have expected. The linen was clean and fresh both on the bed and in the bathroom. The shower water was delightfully hot. The linen was clean and fresh on the bed and in the bathroom. We would rate this hotel as "basic".

Shower is not very powerful, but be kind - it is an old building! Minor point - Ideally would be nice if you didn't have to walk through the rear outdoor smoking area in order to get into the bar and hotel on arrival Would be nice if there was more information about Mr Grundy - for example on the back of place mats or a leaflet or story in a frame, as I would love to know more about him - Thank you! See you again soon!

Not new and shiny but lovely, comfortable old fashioned and quirky place, with lovely old wood panelling on corridors and uneven old floors - may not be to everyone's taste if you like modern hotels but we love it! Excellent if you are interested in it's WW1 connections and Micro Brewery with the lovely story of old Mr Grundy. Our 4 poster bed was very comfortable, but our son said his double room was comfy too. All staff were really friendly, one lady even came to find us to say goodnight when she went off duty! Bar meals good value and plentiful - not fast food but prepared with love and attention (as they point out on the menu), so sit back and relax! On site car park is a reasonable size and free of charge. Just a short walk into town. Love this place - already booked to go back!

The room was small and the check out time was a bit too early.

The bed was very comfortable and the staff were very friendly. The bar was also very nice!

WiFi was virtually non-existent in my room no 6.

Friendly staff - Position for access to the University where I was working was "on the doorstep".

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

they could have john smiths on in the bar

The staff where very helpful the four poster bed was lovely the room was great the service was fantastic you could not ask for a nicer place to stay we will be staying there again in the future the food was very good

Old fashioned windows meant I could hear car traffic outside (but this became white noise I could block out) and as the bed was next to the window it was a bit cold, however there was a heater provided. Also a bit confusing, the door labeled reception isn't the actual entrance, you have to go around the side and enter through the pub door.

My room wasn't ready when I arrived so for my convenience they moved me to a different room. Nice staff at the reception, and free parking which is a bonus. Quirky, old rooms ; comfy bed ; clean and modern facilities. And you can keep the key so if you need to come in later at night you can just let yourself into the hotel. Only about a 10-15 min walk away from a high street with shops and restaurants, close to my friend's accomodation too.

Did not get a warm or personable welcome. The room its self was very tired and not particularly clean. The bathroom was probably one of the worst I've had to use, along with not being able to drink the tap water! The Mattress on the beds had plastic covers and not comfortable at all.

The Bar connected to the hotel

Heating wasn't on in room hence cold. Lighting generally poor in the room - some lights did not work, others just very dim. Room seemed to be clean but very faded.

Good location and reasonable value for money.

Unfortunately it was a very cold weekend with snow, and the heating in the room was not adequate

Location and quirky furnishings with a good ale selection

Where to start.had to walk through dark rooms and corridors. Tap was running in my room. Toilet roll and questionable hair in the twin room. Sign above the toilet asking us not to flush condoms... really? Mould in the bathroom, flaking paint. Big difference between rustic and homely and just neglected. An electric shower that had two settings... freezing and ow...

The staff were great. The guy who checked us in was very nice.

The bed in the first room wasn't made. The floor in the second room had crisps and other suspicious looking items on it. I checked out and slept in the car

Noisy private function but situation resolved quickly . Brilliant. Will check next time and specify specific rooms. No problem really.

Staff, real ale, open fires, quirky decor, breakfast.

Very cold, rooms were noisy although they did change rooms for me. Not much info about the hotel. Trying to get out in the morning, I had to ask someone to let me out.

Helpful staff. Location.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

I didn’t like much tbh. Everything was dirty, television was ridiculously small and the remote didn’t even work, hotel is known for hauntings and they don’t make sure that the guests are prepared for this, especially when the rooms are SERIOUSLY dark. My 8 month old was kept awake by strange whining noises and banging coming from our bathroom in the middle of the night.

The bed was comfortable.

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Aside from the busy roadside location (a bit of noise in my room) . It was worth every penny. 4 poster bed, big tv, chaise longe, dressing screen, fireplace in my room. For £65.. All i needed was a place to crash.. But this was amazing

The internet coverage could be improved further as travelers often need to be connected with family, work and social media updates.

Very close to the University of Derby and easy to reach.

Staff functional at best. Decor very dated and tired. No effort made to update signs, which were ancient and blu twcked everywhere. Tired. Breakfast at basic standard and not cheap.

Nice old property with some nice original features.

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

The room itself was quite pungent with smoke smell. The bathroom was very pokey, but we managed. The food in the restaurant/bar was terrible, however the breakfast was quite acceptable.

The building is amazing and the timber shutters were a fun find. The breakfast area and the room just outside are very beautiful. The staff were great and very helpful.

I have to say I stay here every year, it is comfortable, shows its age as it should, a little quirky...a bit like me so we suit! I prefer this to the soulless modern hotels.

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

I have spent the last 24 hours stewing over our treatment at the above establisment. I have recently been released from hospital following a major brain operation and decided my wife and I deserved a treat so with that in mind I booked the best room the note could offer and and at the same time confirmed we would be eating in the restraunt. However on ordering drinks at the bar , I asked if I should order our meal at the bar or if there was a waitress service ? only to be told we could not eat in the hotel because there were two "parties " booked in . Now I am no fool and I am well aware that the weekend of the 15th to 18th December is the busiest time of works parties and dinners , hence why I confirmed our table on the phone the previous day. The chef decided if we knew what we wanted right that second he could accommodate us , but if we had to peruse the menu then he couldn't , a slightly arrogant attitude I thought for a pub cook . My wife ordered fish and chips only to be told by the chef , there was none available and with that we were told the chef couldn't fit us in , as residents I would have thought it would not be too much trouble to accommodate and in fact we should have taken priority . This had a major impact on our evening as I had to leave the drink I had bought ( I had one on arrival) because I had to drive us to a locality that would feed us , and had to have soft drinks with our meal ,this all added up to a very disappointed grumpy husband for my poor wife to put up with or the rest of the evening , in fact , I only returned to the hotel because my wife told me to. Just as a post script , I don't find it acceptable to wait 30 minutes for some milk to be brought to the room for the. Coffee making , or for the receptionist to spend two full minutes chatting to a friend on the phone whilst patrons are waiting to check in. I look forward to hearing from you. Best regards Bernie Docherty M

T

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Central heating in Bedrooms poor. Bar staff need to smile more.

Olde worldy hotel so expect vintage furniture and creeky floors, don't expect mod cons as it's not that sort of place. Go with this in mind and you'll enjoy it. Bar staff need to smile a bit more like the happy receptionists and hotel does really need to sort out the central heating system. We stayed in November and it was freezing in the rooms. Nice old style proper bar too. It was like stepping back 100 years into the past, so overall a great place to stay if you fancy a change from modern style hotels.

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Very nice room,with four poster bed, in a nice setting. The bar attached to the hotel, Mr Grundy’s is very pleasent with good selection of drinks. Very well presented.

The room number 23 was tired and definitely not Georgian.Furniture more like my grans from the 60's.Had to move the kettle to a plug across the room.I would have liked a more up to date bed.

Staff member /cook was very helpful.Only person around early on the Sunday.

Very old, no shower facilities just a bath tub, water was very hot in the sink taps, lumpy bed mattress, dusty on floor corners of room, and on light fittings, not enough plug sockets, the sockets there were exposed wires and old or broken. Even worse was it being very very cold room and only given a small (and) dirty electric fan heater to warm up the room.

The staff were friendly.

Bed was very uncomfortable, with a mattress which had a plastic cover which meant the sheets slid over it. No hairdryer provided.

Very convenient for visiting our daughter at Uni. Friendly staff at check in.

The room we were given the shower didn't work correctly and not cleaned properly. Although we were moved as soon as we told the staff.

Location was excellent. 2 minutes walk to our party and 15 mins walk into city centre

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

There was no heating in the room apart from a small plug in fan. We tried to turn the radiators on but there were shut off. It was absolutely freezing.Another thing that really needs improving is some of the furnishings had stains and didnt look clean. When we complained they didnt look shocked at all.

The location is excellent about a 10 mins to town

Lack of water pressure in the shower

Staff and pub are excellent. Room in the outbuilding was worn but warm and comfortable. Clearly a spectacular building in its day, unfortunately it’s day was over 60 years ago.

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Location is awful , right on a busy street. The room was very cold. The food at lunch was really poor, cold being the biggest issue.

Staff were really good

Room was a bit dusty on some surfaces but all in all good value for money.

Decent location, Staff were pleasant & helpful. Good food served in the bar & nice bar atmosphere.

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

We were not told on arrival of any checkout times, what time was breakfast, what key to use if we where late back. The room was cold on arrival, when room was cleaned no coffee station updated.

The bed in the accommodation was comfy.

We didn't book breakfast as the price seemed a little steep in comparison to the room cost.

Lovely period decor; the four-poster bed was stunning. Although our room looked out on to a main road, there was no traffic noise due to the secondary glazing panels that could be closed.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Small stain of excrement on the bathroom wall, the toilet seat with urine marks, left with the end of the toilet paper roll for the night, bedspread pulled but sheets underneath not straightened. Plenty of room for improvement. Complained at the check out, got an apology

Lisa went the extra mile to get me a more convenient room.

• Double Room (1 Adult)

No wifi in cottage room Shower pressure/temperature very poor Bed not even and far too soft poor quality mattress Waited ages 1/2 evenings for meal in pub - no service at bar for 15-20mins Kettle needed to be relocated in order to be plugged in Sink in room rather than bathroom Lights above sink temperamental

Staff were lovely Location ideal for Derby university Decor very nice Good rates

• Double Room (1 Adult)

Shower area ready for repainting and the indicators on the controls was almost warn off. Could have done with a slightly wider shelf in the bathroom and the sink was noisy. Quite manageable otherwise.

Very comfy bed, lovely room.

Can't fault it really.

Easy to find (and park onsite) and rooms were clean and comfortable. Staff friendly and the pub attached was a bonus. Didn't have breakfast but the eating area looked inviting.

Clientele of this hotel questionable given multiple signs on the toilet to not flush "condoms and sanitary products". Whatever the toilet system it was very noisy as whenever a room close by flushed the whole floor hears it. There is a loose drain cover on the main road outside which made the traffic noise even louder.

Price (although breakfast was another £9), the car park available and location within walking distance of city centre. Ask for a room at the back of the hotel too avoid the road noise.

Staff were friendly and helpful and moved me to another room in order to be next door to family members also staying there. Room was comfortable and clean. Location suited me perfectly - within walking distance of the railway station and the town centre.

Directions on how to get into the building! you park round the back, walk to the front which is locked, then take a guess that maybe you should go in through a side door that leads into the middle of the pub at which point you need to ask at the bar where to go. Not great when the pub is busy.

lovely old building, nice surroundings and nice to find the rooms and public areas decorated in keeping with the building and era. Very reassuring that it isn't pandering to trends. Staff were low key but helpful and available when needed.

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

Breakfast at £9 No chooses of bread one day No choose of what to have the next day

Very in clean cups in rooms dirty. More than a weeks worth of dust in bedroom. Tablecloth dirty plus a big black hair on it. Breakfast not good plus the carpet hadn't been hoovered

Television didn't work as nowhere tom plug it in. No hot water although electric shower worked

Size of the room was good and the bathroom was very clean

• Double Room with Four Poster Bed

There was a pair of tights in the corner of the bedroom left from last people there tv in room but no plug socket to plug tv in n the tv stand was covered in dust drank the water in room to take my medication then read a sign saying water not for drinking think they should have been informed when we checked in having breakfast had to ask for glass to drink the juice asked to fill coffee pot up as it was empty the breakfast was great half a sausage then as was finishing breakfast they turned the fire off think that was a bit rude as hadn't finished breakfast

No en-suite in my room, had to trek across the corridor to a locked shower/wc each time even though it was exclusive to my room. Wi-Fi didn't work in my room.

Location and Parking, very helpful staff, nice public bar on-site in the evenings.

Very noisy as hotel had 60th party until midnight so difficult to sleep before then. Room was ok but very old fashioned. Unable to access wifi at all, no signal.

Could not close the window. Therefore had the noise and fumes from the busy traffic outside the window.

Staff friendly and helpful. Bed very comfortable.

Bedding didn't smell very fresh, two lightbulbs needed replacing so it was a bit dark when getting ready to go out, nowhere to plug in the kettle - a nice room but in need of a bit of tlc

Friendly staff, good location

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

More water in the room for tea and coffee please

We stayed in the family room on the first floor. Our four poster bed was comfortable as were the pillows. There was an additional room with two single beds leading to a clean bathroom with a shower. Tea and coffee was provided - the sign in the bathroom indicated that the water could not be used for making drinks so it would have been helpful if the water provided could have been a larger bottle. We walked into Derby Centre to eat out, this took about 10 - 15 minutes, lots of choice of eateries. We arrived back at the hotel around 10.30pm and enjoyed the beers from the microbrewery. The staff we encountered were all really helpful. This is an interesting building with lots of quirky features. If you like modern, uncluttered hotels this probably isn't the place for you however it is full of character and has lots of Georgian features. It is also very reasonably priced so a great way to explore Derby on a budget. The town of Derby was a surprise; full of interesting building and individual shops so well worth an explore. I don't think there was a lift so it is probably not suitable for those with mobility issues. Also parking is included at the rear of the building.

Everything ok it was the place

Good breakfast,staff, but although a lovely building it needed TLC and a major cleaning exercise Very Very Tired Grime

Had a lovely stay here for one night. Didn't need to eat here but there is a pub offering food and the hotel offers breakfast. The bed was lovely and comfy, I had a great nights sleep. The shower is lovely and big. Everything was clean, no complaints at all. Bottled water was complementary, as well as tea and coffee which was a nice touch. Staff were very welcoming and friendly.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The bathroom in our room could have been slightly cleaner

Everything was perfect! The pub atmosphere was right up our street. The beer garden was fantastic and even the music played was what we would usually listen to! The staff were so friendly and accommodating, we can't wait to go back!

Browse Georgian House Hotel traveller photo gallery