Reviews of Ravilious

16 Blackwater Road, Eastbourne, BN21 4JD, United Kingdom

#10 of 46 B&Bs and Inns in Eastbourne

Based on 508 B&B reviews

• Double Room - Attic

Not much of a view. But get out and walk to the wonderful pier near by.

The hotel is newly/ nicely decorated. The attic room was spacious and clean. The linen was white and clean. There was coffee tea and biscuits and a surprise choc in the room. The breakfast was exceptional offering all sorts of hot egg breakfast like eggs Benedict, eggs and salmon etc. the guy serving us was friendly and did an exceptional job of seeing to everyone’s needs. I can highly recommend this little hotel.

Only have one small criticism , the shower was not powerful enough , they need to get a new system installed ! This would not stop me from going there though as everything else was great!

Loved how they have kept the original features , the room was spacious , well equipped with everything we needed, breakfast was great , freshly cooked and delicious !

Corners of wooden bed surround would be better rounded - less likely to bruise legs

The bed was very comfortable and the room large and airy. Breakfast menu was different and well presented although croissants were not flaky enough

• Double Room - Attic

The accommodation was exactly as the web page looked and being in the attic room, I expected to climb many stairs to reach it - remember it's the attic! The location to the town and seafront is ideal and the staff were very helpful taking my heavy case up and allowing me to leave it there after check out so I could explore the town before picking it up later that afternoon. Breakfast was lovely and a bonus being included in the price and the setting is very nice and the staff were very attentive. The room was clean and modern. I would certainly return when next again in Eastbourne.

• Double Room - Attic

Bare wooden floors and stairs were a bit noisy however quiet you try to be. The property has a lot of stairs so perhaps not ideal for the less able.

Quirky modern decor, feature wallpapers and bright colours. A refreshing change from pastels and neutral colouring.

• Double Room - Attic

Damp and marked wall in bedroom. Corroded tv bracket gave unsightly marks on wall. Unpleasant stagnant water/drains smell in ensuite bathroom each morning.

Lovely breakfast area, interior throughout hotel generally good. Location and parking good, easy walking distance to seafront. Bedroom and Em suite were clean.

Would be nice to have some seating in a tidied front garden area (garden to rear is not accessible). Wide wooden surround on very low bed is rather hazardous.

Stylish - with great attention to detail - and in excellent location. Very large room. Madeleine Peyroux playing during breakfast!

• Double Room - Attic

The attic room (Room 14) is very hot and stuffy with one small window. At the other uncomfortable extreme, there was no hot water in the shower or taps. I would recommend this property, but avoid this particular room.

Excellent location close to the train station (7 mins), beach (4 mins), theatre (2 mins) and restaurants (2 mins). Modern stylish decor and spotlessly clean. Staff were friendly. We were able to check in early in order to hit the South Downs way. 10 miles to Exceat takes around 3.5 hrs. Breakfast was good with a small buffet of fruit, yogurt and cereals, plus a cooked menu of full English, eggs benny, salmon with scrambled eggs and omelette.

• Double Room - Attic

Bed a little low for older people, apart from that a great room

Spacious, clean room, everything looked newly decorated. Friendly staff, good location, free parking.

Such a lovely place to stay. The room was beautiful and big. Styled perfectly. Close walk to train station and restaurants. Would definitely visit again.

There are heaters in the room but the rooms are very big so don’t heat the rooms.My heater blew up when I turned it on which resulted in my family member ending up in hospital with hyperthermia

The staff could have been a little more outgoing in their manner.

The hotel is elegant, quiet and very well appointed. There is easy access to the sea front, to the Towner Art Gallery, to Devonshire Park tennis courts and to restaurants. We had to change the date of our arrival at the last minute and our request was accommodated with courtesy and kindness.

Nothing to complain with

I liked pretty much: 1. Building: a Victorian House well-maintained 2. Interior: modern and stylish 3. Room: spacious and confortable with tea/coffee/cookies and water 4: Breakfast: in a cosy space for no more than 16 people, everything was provided for a good breakfast 5: Staff: very kind, pleasant and helpful

Low water pressure in shower Low bed with sharp wood surround and mattress quite hard

Very pretty and spacious Good location with free parking Good breakfast and breakfast host Good value

• Double Room - Attic

Long drag upstairs to the attic room. had problems with wifi in room but OK in the dining room. Shower operation was confusing and took long time to get hot.

The manager was very welcoming and accommodating. Allowed early check in to change for event. Room was spacious and bright and bed very comfortable.

• Double Room - Attic

Could do with a pump on the shower as the flow was very slow.

Loved the quiet location, very friendly owners and a great breakfast - can thoroughly recommend the Egg Benedict with smoked salmon.

The shower in the room had very little pressure and apparently there was nothing they could do. I have stayed at other hotels/B&B’s in Eastbourne before with the same layout and never had this problem.

Very clean and the staff were very polite.

• Executive Double Room

Beautiful B&B with lovely and spacious rooms furnished in clean/modern style. Our room had a massive freestanding bathtub and an excellent selection of teas/coffee (priorities..). Staff was very friendly and accommodating, and breakfast was terrific - good selection of cooked to order food and self serve fruit and pastries, all served in a lovely and bright front dining room. Highly recommend, especially great for couples!

WiFi coverage in the room was patchy so there wasn’t much at the desk. Bathroom needs somewhere to hang clothes. Both easily fixable.

Everything was great a few very minor niggles and I mean minor keep it from being perfect. staff helpful and pleasant, bedroom great, breakfast great.

• Double Room - Attic

The wooden border round the bed was a slight worry - in case I bashed my shins against it in the dark. But I didn't. A minor concern, that's all.

Great to stay in an independent, tastefully decorated, comfortable and thoughtfully conceived hotel. Highly recommended ... especially if you like art. The Towner Gallery is super close.

• Executive Double Room

Ravilious was perfect for our weekend away. I honestly can't fault anything. Our room was beautiful with a comfy bed and freestanding bath. The big bay windows made the room really light and it was really spacious. Lots of tea and coffee options in the room with biscuits - always a bonus! Breakfast was delicious and they have Gluten Free options. Not only is it a brilliant place to stay but the location is perfect for the seafront and town. I hope we can visit again soon.

If I had to say anything - it would be - can you please fix the doorbell. I stood outside Sunday eve only to discover the 2 doorbells unreliable, and the door knocker unheard. It took sometime before I finally arrived ( having traveled from Spain ). All that said - I will plan to stay again as it's a fab Hotel.

I liked my room (4), I liked the size of the room, I liked breakfast, the experience was lovely and the location perfect for town and the seafront.

• Executive Double Room

mugs too small for a proper cup of tea. They look more like expresso cups. Bigger mugs would be better. Other than that all ok

Lovely room, nice breakfast, good location, friendly staff

• Executive Double Room

The unbelievable difficulty in getting the toilets to flush - very poor button system, and it's the same in every room!

We are regular customers and this is due to the location, the great staff, nice breakfasts and beautiful rooms.

• Double Room - Attic

A quality check would eliminate minor housekeeping glitches. For example, a cleaning sponge was inadvertently left in my bathroom overnight.

The staff truly understand how to make their guests' stay comfortable and memorable. Fabulous breakfasts with plenty of choices, including vegetarian sausages. Excellent selection of teas, coffee, and treats in the room. Spatious accommodation with very comfortable bed and linens. Short walk to restaurants, seafront, the Towner Gallery and the Devonshire Park Theater. I had a problem with my own voltage adapter which was quickly remedied. Now plotting a return visit.

My only slight bit of feedback is that the towels and bedlinen was a little bit tatty - this didnt matter to us but might to some people.

The room was huge, really well decorated and really comfy. We had lots of refreshments and even chocolate tea cakes! The staff were friendly but left us to ourselves, which was exactly what we wanted. We didnt feel any pressure, and could come and go as we wanted. The breakfast was good with fresh food and freshly cooked.

Absolutely amazing place, very high standards and delicious breakfast, lovely big beautifully decorated rooms. Also amazing moustache! Thank you very much will definitely recommend staying here to others and would certainly book again :)

Nothing...

The room was amazing!! Service - Amazing!! Breakfast, was ridiculously good! One of the best stays I've had anywhere.... Literally felt like home away from home... Thanks David and your team!!

I received a nice warm friendly welcome. The hotel has an ambience feeling when you walk in and our room was light, clean and spacious. There was a nice selection of teas/coffee & biscuits. Breakfast was very welcoming, staff was friendly, excellent cooked breakfast to order. I had an omelette (cheese & mushrooms) which was absolutely tastifully delicious. I couldn’t finish it as it was rather a big omelette for me. We will definitely stay there again, as it was a walking distance to town, close to the Pier & restaurants. We went to a quaint Spanish restaurant (Flamenco Tapas) which was just round the corner, delicious tapas.

The outside temperature was below zero and the room had only a tiny heater. At all other times of year, and this was exceptional weather, you would have no problems.

Huge room, comforable bed, excellent breakfast cooked to order.

New facilities and very clean, however we got room number 2 just ground floor, between the breakfast room and the kitchen!?!?!? No heating system in the room, just 1 electric portable heater well known to be extremely dangerous when there's carpet! Even worse, the room was an authentic fridge so we had to ask for an additional electric heater, to try and feel comfortable in a 4 degrees evening although we were literally scared of using them. Hot water was not immediately available like you would expect in year 2018, we had to run the freezing water for at least 15 minutes, no joke, and only after that time hot water was available to shower and wash yourself. Glazing on the cake a short, thin, useless duvet on the bed: when asked for a thicker, winter duvet we received an old style, extremely smelling wooden blanket!!! Needless to say we promptly asked for another room, however none was available and we were given technical explanations about the water heating system and so forth...? In summary, extremely awful experience and stay, luckily just 1 night and hopefully never again!!! Management should be lot more client focused and understand the meaning of providing actual comfort to the people who pay for their incomes. Not worth the cost at all!!!

Hygiene, size of the room

• Double Room - Attic

Extremely pleasant stay, a great find for the weary traveller or as location for a well deserved break. You'll find a very warm welcome awaits and the room I stayed in was fresh clean and very comfortable. I have no hesitation in recommending The Ravilious Hotel and will be definitely staying there again on my next visit.

The rooms were a little cold. There were no radiators, so could only rely on electric ones and the one in my room was not quite working ;-/

The breakfast was really nice, and they had GF options which was great for me!

I really can’t think of anything

Wonderful breakfast & excellent staff.Modern interior with a quirky twist.Room was huge with a comfortable bed & sofa.A lovely relaxing place to stay.

• Executive Double Room

It’s not that we didn’t like it exactly but we did notice there had been some water damage to the ceiling that hadn’t been cosmetically fixed. Also the where there had been touch ups to the walls the paint wasn’t the correct colour.

The rooms are enormous, lots of light and a luxurious feel. The heater didn’t work but when we reported it our room was lovely and toasty when we got back from being out. In terms of access I’m not sure it’s wheelchair accessible but the hosts are so amazing, I’m sure they’d find a way to accommodate.

Absolutely nothing!

The eggs benedict was the best I’ve ever had! The room was comfortable and clean, and the staff very friendly. Ill definitely stay again!

Staff were not overly attentive, which we prefer but others may not.

Hotel was gorgeous. Room was absolutely lovely. Hotel provided a permit for car. Couldn't have asked for more. Great location for all attractions. Good spot to venture out for walks.

• Double Room - Attic

We have been upgraded to executive room which made our stay more enjoyable. This property exceeded our expectations from Delicious breakfast to short walk down to the beach.

• Executive Double Room

Clean room, nice warm welcome from staff, the room was amazing, breakfast was good, not far from the seafront either or the town centre. Would stay again.

• Executive Double Room

Poor heating in the property. Electric heater in the room - probably not an issue in summer! Taps and shower need to run for a very long time to get any hot water. Have long hair and couldn't wash it due to non existent water pressure. Fixed shower head too, so it's difficult when you don't want to get hair wet, no shower caps to help! Very disappointed that no cotton wool balls/buds provided. Seems a small thing but I thought the days of travelling with everything were long gone. And for £125 I expect those to be there. How do you remove make up without? The bed was not that comfortable for us and has a wooden board edge about 6-8 inches all the way around. If you're not used to that (like us) be careful not to crack your legs on it when you get up - my brain thinks the edge of the bed is the edge of the matttress, some shin bruises now. The 'executive' room we had has had some water damage in a number of places. Cleaning could have been a bit 'hotter'. Major things done but skirtings in bathroom had not been done in a while! As always it depends what you want/need. We stay in Eastbourne 4-5 times (overnight stay) each year and decided to try somewhere new. Compared to other B & B's we don't feel this offers the best value for what's on offer.

Beautiful looking property and contemporary decor lovely. The breakfast was very good, lots of pastries, cereals, fruit, yoghurt etc. Cooked choices good and very well presented and cooked. Nice staff bring coffee etc very promptly! The only thing is the dining room is cold due to lack of heating. Easy on street parking with vouchers provided by the host. No noise from any other rooms although I've no idea if many others were there. Only saw one other couple at breakfast. The bedroom (we had exec room overlooking the park) is a good size with big mirrored sliding door wardrobes - lots of storage space. Large TV fixed on pillar at the end of the bed. Tea/coffee choice plentiful. The shower is 'over bath' so choice of bath if wanted.

• Executive Double Room

it had every thing I needed

the room was nice and roomy very nice bathroom breakfast really nice parked right outside the hotel and they gave us parking permits close to town centre and the pier

The Hotel doesn't have any central heating and as it was winter and very cold (3 degrees) the room was chilly when we arrived although there are powerful fan heaters and it warmed up fairly quickly. The bathroom was warm due to the towel rail although the hot water took an age to come through it was nice and hot when it did. I prefer a cooler room than the stuffy overheated type so Ok for us.

Very nice and interesting decor - very boutique. A wonderful large room and bathroom with huge super king bed. Breakfast exceptionally good, varied choice and the cooked breakfast was done to perfection.

• Double Room - Attic

Couldn’t think of anything that I would change

The rooms were really clean and loved the styling of the hotel would definitely stay again in a heart beat

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Executive Double Room

Somewhere to put the shower gel when in the shower - not always easy to have to put it on the floor, especially if you don't want to get your hair wet! The heating...or rather the lack of it; there are only electric radiators, which do work reasonably well but ours was not switched on when we arrived and it took ages for this tiny radiator to heat up a rather large room!

Great breakfast, as always! The location is perfect - a five-minute walk from the station and the town centre, close to nice bars and restaurants. Comfy bed, nice shower room. The staff are always lovely and helpful.

Some glitches with electricity but these were a one off and related to some recent work that had been done on the property. These were resolved and our stay was not really affected.

Wonderful stay in a stylish B&B. Amazing breakfast, great location and friendly staff. Highly recommended.

Although we experienced some issues with the power system and thus the heater and hot water the first night (that they didn't charge us), we liked everything else. The bathtub was a bit small and narrow but it was enough for us at least.

The room was very big, clean and beautifully decorated. We appreciated the kuttle with different teas and biscuits. The hotel itself is beautiful and well situated (between the town centre (train station) and the sea) and the personnel were very nice and welcoming. The breakfast was also reaaally good and we could see that everything was home made and last minute. I recommand the egg benedict with poached egg, english muffin and salmon. The English breakfast is also delicious but maybe too big for a small stomach as mine :)

• Executive Double Room

The staff were very welcoming and helped us when the electricity was playing up. Very friendly owner who made us feel at home. Beautifully decorated rooms, very clean and spacious. Breakfast in the morning was tasty. Great value for money!

We didn't have any complaints during this stay....everything was to our satisfaction.

The room was very well appointed and clean. The breakfasts were excellent!! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The location was quite central for what we needed. We would definitely stay there again.

• Executive Double Room

lovely old building with its own problems but renowated, lovely decor, comfortable bed, nice room( we have booked executive), very good breakfast, very nice owners and staff,easy parking even the area parking is resticted,

Nothing !

Very comfortable room, very clean, good breakfast, excellent staff and service and good explanation on what to do and eat in the area. Will stay again when in Eastbourne.

• Double Room - Attic

Just returned from a two night break at the Ravillous from the moment we arrived to the time we left the service was outstanding, nothing was too much trouble, from offering a free parking permit [ a real added surprise ]to helping advise on places to eat and see. We were given the attic room [ no.14] and jokingly advised about needing an oxygen mask for the altitude, eventually after admiring the wide staircase with its stripped wood flooring and the several flights we arrived at the well appointed large spacious and spotlessly clean room with all the facilities you could wish for. After an excellent nights sleep we thoroughly enjoyed a well cooked breakfast with plenty of choices in the relaxed dining room overlooking the park. Would thoroughly recommend but disappointed to be told the hotel is about to change ownership so hope all the high standards are kept along with the outstanding staff.

Wooden floors to the rooms meant there was some noise from the room above ours in the mornings and at night.

the size of the room, the bed was very comfortable, complimentary water and biscuits.

• Double Room - Attic

The Attic room is up 60 steps - not too bad for us but worth noting.

Great position - just one road back from the beach area and only 5 mins walk to lots of great bars, shops and restaurants. Well thought out rooms with mirrors where you need them!

Hot water took a very long time to reach sink tap and shower in g/floor room. Sink drain could not cope with tap flow and had no overflow, so the tap had to be shut off until the sink drained. This had to be repeated several times before the water came hot. Bed was very comfortable but had wide wooden frame extending approx 20 cm beyond mattress. Result was repeated bruised ankles even after 3 days stay.

Nothing not to like

Everything, especially the delicious mushrooms and scrambled eggs at breakfast. Room was light airy and big,bed very comfortable. Clean and modern.

Unable to find anything.

A place to come back to. Beautiful room and the whole bulding and its decor, outstanding breakfast, great owners, lovely city.

• Double Room - Attic

I didn’t like the fact that the same key was used for my room and also the front door.

The building and decor were beautiful and the staff very charming. The parking was easy and the room was clean and stylish.

Nothing !

Very tasteful décor, clean and comfortable bed, excellent breakfast, friendly helpful staff. Lovely views, great location, great size bedroom, lovely bathroom. I would highly recommend this hotel.

In our bathroom (room 4) there was no hook on back of door to hang pyjamas etc. Getting in and out of the bath was a bit tricky as there is no grab rail to hold onto. Also no bath mat so it was a bit slippy for us older travellers.

Bed was very comfortable. Towels good quality. Breakfast very good quality and quantity.

• Executive Double Room

The decor was modern and the fixtures and fittings looked new but the bathroom represented style over function.

We liked the lovely breakfast, the range of beverages in the room , the large room and the free parking, though it was on street. This hotel is a very short walk to the Towner Gallery and the sea front.

I have no negative comments.

Room very comfortable with all necessary facilities. Bed very comfortable. Staff particularly helpful bringing their landline phone tome when I could not be raised on my mobile. Offered to make me a new cooked bfast as mine was now cold due to phone call. First Bfast excellent. Would recommend without reservation.

Wish that there was air-conditioning as it was a little warm in the room, even with the windows open. However, it's an older building and has been beautifully refurbished.

Hotel is beautifully decorated. Staff are friendly, welcoming and accommodating. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent (and included)! Loved the dining/lounge area/bar.

We were very pleased with our stay. The room was bright, clean, modern and very well equipped. Location is perfect. Our breakfast was the best ever. We would definitely stay here again. Gary Deborah.

• Executive Double Room

Parking is street parking but was not an issue in our case. If you have difficultly managing stairs, which we did not, this is not the place.

Great hotel with very nice facilities, layout of the room and character. Beautiful stand alone bath and plenty of space and light in the room. Location was perfect for us. Breakfast was delicious. Hope to go back for another stay in the near future.

Really comfy bed, spacious and quiet room and yummy breakfast. The staff were very friendly and welcoming, and it was easy to find a parking space outside.

Very elegant and comfortable accommodation. Stylish decor in our room and the dining room. Excellent cooked breakfast. Warm welcome upon arrival. Will recommend to others.

Beautiful, comfy, clean property and rooms with a delicious breakfast. Situated in a great location within walking distance to the beach and the town.

• Double Room - Attic

The water pressure in the attic rooms was not great.

The room was very spacious and comfy. Breakfast was excellent. Great location, a quick walk to the seafront.

Couldnt fault anything.

Stayed in quite a lot of hotels and this is by far one of the best! Loved all the little touches in the room, the decor was very nice (we were in the attic room). Very spacious, good variety of tea and coffee. Thought the staff were great, and very accomodatating. We got a complimentary permit for parking. Breakfast was lovely (i recommend the eggs benedict) a good variety to choose from. In the day our room was restocked with biscuits,water and tea etc. And all in all we really enjoyed our stay and found it very comfortable :)

Observation rather than criticism: Guests with mobility issues might find the beds a little low and the bath a little high to climb into.

Lovely accommodation, decorated very tastefully. Really good location and friendly hosts,

• Double Room - Attic

Only minor minor thing was low pressure in the shower, but we were right at the top of the house!

I emailed David at the Ravilious as we were going to be checking in early as we were attending a wedding. When we arrived just after midday he had gone out of his way to make sure our room was ready for us. The room was big, bright, clean and decorated in such a cool way, great tea tray with little treats and lovely modern bathroom. Located on a quiet back street, it was an easy 5 minute walk to the seafront and 15 to the pier. Breakfast was in a beautiful decorated room and we were served quickly and politely - and the food was delicious. Thank you!!

• Double Room - Attic

Nothing with the hotel .... the seagulls are bloody loud though lol

Great gem of a hotel has 14 rooms I had one of the attic rooms ... very polite and friendly welcome great decor lovely little bar/breakfast room ...my room was large very clean and had lots of little extras loved the big choc marshmallows lol a great place and lovely gentleman who runs it amazing value for money ... will Defo be using again when in the area

The staff were incredibly friendly the whole time we were there. The rooms were beautifully decorated and very comfortable. We were visiting Eastbourne for a wedding and the hotel's location was perfect, right between the sea front and town. But the best thing about The Ravilious was the breakfast. The breakfast menu had a few dishes on it, so I thought given the length of our stay I could try a different one every morning. Well I had the eggs benedict on the second day and, despite having claimed that I didn't like eggs benedict for my entire life, it was the best thing I have ever eaten! Spend a night at this hotel for the eggs benedict alone!!

• Double Room - Attic

There wasn't much interaction with our host on arrival. The welcome was very clinical whereas other B&Bs have been more friendly. The attic room felt rather sparsely furnished but was comfortable. The shower lacked power compared to others we have enjoyed. The breakfast was OK but nothing special. The tables were set quite close together so if (like we found) the guests at the adjoining table were noisy and in fact encroaching into our table area, it didn't make for a very pleasant breakfast experience.

The location was ideal for the town centre, seafront and theatre areas. During tennis week, you couldn't be closer to the venue. The hotel is decorated very nicely and we felt the actic room had plenty of space, even if you were staying for several days. The range of cooked breakfasts offered was very good.

Noisy, grease stains on wallpaper in breakfast room ! Flat pillows Steps upto front door. Three flights of stairs if hauling luggage !

Breakfast staff very pleasant.location .

Browse Ravilious traveller photo gallery