Reviews of The Globe Inn 4 stars

9 High Street, Chagford, TQ13 8AJ, United Kingdom

#5 of 9 hotels in Chagford

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Perfect place stay in a beautiful village ,in the middle of the country side.

Nothing we didn't like

We loved the room , very nice and cosy ,from our room we had lovely view to the church and the beautiful hills.the food in the restaurant is fantastic, breakfast really good.Very friendly staff.perfect location.

Great place to stop on 2 moors way
    • Superior Twin Room

Great location right on the two moors way. Very friendly and hospitable host. Really comfortable room. Good evening meal and breakfast at the time to suit our departure. Highly recommended.

Great if you have to stay in the area

longer breakfast times, better check out process - waited for 30mins for someone to check us out. value for money wasn't great. £65-70 would have been fair.

The breakfast was good, Beds were comfortable.

Allow extra time for food and prepare for very steep stairs
    • Family Room

The stairs to get to the room was very steep and narrow. It was a challenge to get up there with cases. It took over 1hr to get our cooked breakfast in the morning! Make sure you allow extra time for the slow service.

The family room was very comfortable and clean.

Booked at the last minute & glad we did Chagford is a quaint village which the Globe inn is a warm
    • Deluxe Suite

We were put on the top floor which meant going up a tight staircase which maybe should of been mentioned when booking & although it did not affect us, I imagine it would be difficult for the elderly or if anyone with health issues. This is an observation for the owners to maybe put in the info on their website to save any awkwardness in the future.

The bedroom was a great size & the bed was very comfortable also there were plenty of windows that can open to ventilate the room on an extremely hot day/evening the hospitality was welcoming to us.

Good location and starting point.

I'm 6ft 4 so beds never fit!

Service and food was to a good standard. Area and location was perfect. Very clean property. We ate and drank there every night.

Peaceful and pleasant stay
    • Superior Twin Room

The beds were too soft for me and that would tip my wish to stay there by choice for any future visits.

The convenience of the location. The friendliness of staff. The room was pleasant The facilities in the room, although I expected a bath tub. I liked the water purification gadget in the shower head. The beds were too soft which gave me chronic back ache and I had to lay on the floor for 2 hours to rebalance my body.

An excellent hotel and very reasonably priced for the area

the hotel does not have its own parking, so you need to park on the road outside, not a big issue as there are plenty of spaces

Hotel was very comfortable, great location, really quiet and beautiful setting. room was well equipped and spacious

The staff were exceptional and went the extra mile for us.

Car park off site although very close and very cheap

The staff were exceptional and went the extra mile for us.I was travelling with my parents who are 87 years old and they were made to feel very safe and special

Beautiful interiors and comfy beds with lovely atmosphere
    • Superior Twin Room

Noisy downstairs when people leave late at night in the pub as we couldnt get to sleep till gone midnight.

Beautiful interiors and comfy beds with lovely atmosphere

As always - a great experience.

Everything was as expected. Could not fault anything

Great country accommodation. Friendly owners and a beautiful location. Food and drink very good value for money.

Intended as a break from 3 young children. Worse night's sleep than usual and £100 lighter :-(

Being woken by church bells every hour throughout the night (who needs to know its 4AM ffs?) Dripping noise from toilet. No bath (Low pressure electric shower). Oily mushrooms for breakfast No enquiry from staff about the quality of our stay.

Comfy bed

Breakfast was very good, full English was available as well...

The water pressure in the showers was pretty lousy, but we made it work. Rooms vary in size and ours didn't have a desk, so we used our computers on the coffee table and hunched over.

Breakfast was very good, full English was available as well as cereal, fruit and more. They have a nice pub and decent restaurant and are right in the middle of the small town. A Spar was very close by, as was the local church. Many good pubs and restaurants are in town. A good location for seeing the moors.

A hidden gem

This is not a complaint but the hot water tap was very hot and could prove difficult for young children.

The Globe was well maintained, well staffed and good value.

Lovely staff, food and atmosphere.
    • Deluxe Suite

The room was a little cold, but to be expected in an old building in Dartmoor!

Lovely staff, food and atmosphere. Room was immaculate and attractive. Great location. Good beer. Food service prompt.

A place where you'll find some peace and quiet, a warm welcome and a damn good beef pie.

Lovely, clean and spacious room in a great location. Food from the restaurant was top notch (especially the pie, one of the best I've ever had) and the staff were all very friendly and welcoming.

Full English breakfasts were excellent as were the 2 evening...

The only reason I dropped a point from my review was because the pub did not have its own car park. Having said that, there was some on-street parking within a 5 minute walk and a pay and display car park one minute away.

Full English breakfasts were excellent as were the 2 evening meals I had. My room was spacious and spotless. The staff were friendly and attentive and always efficient.

Excellent for a relaxing get away from it all break. We love walking and so it is an ideal base.

We have been to The Globe Inn many times before, the owners are so welcoming and can’t do enough to make us feel welcome. Superb food, great rooms and would recommend to anyone.

Very friendly staff, homely pub with a great christmas feel.

Shower could be more powerful. A little weak flow

Very friendly staff, homely pub with a great christmas feel. Open fire in bar where we ate. Good food, reasonably priced

A mixture of great staff , a delicious evening meal ,
    • Deluxe Suite

My breakfast was very poor quality Thin sliced brown bread from a packet with poached eggs that looked and tasted poor.

The staff were quirky and very helpful My evening meal was great

Had a great time

Maybe a little more choice at breakfast, some natural yoghurt and honey rather than flavoured yoghurts, poached fruits rather than just dry fruits, gluten free options would be nice too. The cooked breakfast was lovely though.

Lovely staff

Friendly, comfortable and great location

Parking, but it’s the same issue for all accommodation in Chagford so all part of staying in small town

Good location, friendly staff, evening meal was great value and home cooked !

Really nice apart from the smokers

My room was above the entrance to the bar so suffered from the chatter of smokers below and to a degree the smell of fag smoke

Typical inn accommodation - warm and comfortable. Food was outstanding.

Very enjoyable

There is nothing not to like if you like the feeling of being back in time

Its a lovely old inn and It's in a beautiful location and got wonderful walks

We could have stayed longer.

The stairs up to the top for elderly people,l think that should be mentioned when booking.Having said that they did change the room for us.

The food was excellent and hot..t

relaxing in a working week

Lovely pub like hotel in beautiful location. large room. comfy bed. Meal in restaurant downstairs really great and friendly. Room overlooked churchyard. Views of hills beyond village. Bucolic

Nice hotel, beautiful location, horrendous, unreasonable, arrogant staff. Not child friendly at all.
    • Deluxe Suite

The hotel was not prepared for the three of us (my wife and three year old son). They had been informed by your site that only my wife and I were staying which they implied was problematic. I provided a bed for him so we asked for very little from them. I appreciate that this was your error and not theirs. However, we were made to feel that we were an inconvenience at best and second class citizens at worst. No introduction to the room, facilities or enquiring if we required food. Just walked to our room and handed the keys. And reminded that we really should of told them that we had our son with us. For the third time I told them I had. My wife refused to eat there due to the appalling attitude of this women so we went next door. At breakfast the next morning the owner made us feel even more unwelcome. I had to remind her 4 times that I ordered coffee! But it was at checkout where we felt the worst. In front of my son the lady offered me "advice" that in future I should be more honest and say that my son is staying with us. I had withheld this to get a cheaper stay? I showed her the confirmation email from yourselves which contained 3 peolple including my son on the booking!!!!! This didn't deter her arrogant rany that we had been dishonest. I can only think that she has a problem with toddlers. No apology when I showed her the email demonstrating that the error was nothing to do with us. No class whatsoever. I have stayed in 100s of hotels with business and family and never been made to feel dishonest and inferior.

The staff at The Three Crowns next door were the exact opposite of this hotel. Friendly and fun towards my three year old son. Great food too. I would recommend staying there

Centrally situated in beautiful Chagford within walking distance of lots of places to eat.
    • Superior Twin Room

Although there was a large window in the room it still felt a little dark. The dining room areas were also on the dark side for us.

The location was great -right in the centre of Chagford. We had a wonderful view of the church from our bedroom. We received a very jolly welcome when we arrived.

A lovely hotel in a nice setting

The shower needed a much faster flow rate to be effective.

I had to leave for work before breakfast was served but the staff left a tray of fruit, milk and cereal, a muffin, some juice and some mints in my room the the night before. A very nice touch I thought.

Homely and friendly estabishment in a beautiful location

Shower water flow was low, however this wouldn't put us off staying at The Globe again. Parking is limited as with most small villages. This is to be expected and a car park in the village would destroy its character. Free parking was available on the public road about 5-10 minutes walk away and there is a drop off point outside The Globe.

Comfortable, spacious room with a view over the church yard. A great bar with genuine local patronage staffed by friendly people. We didn't dine in the restaraunt but it seemed to be well attended by locals, if the locals eat there its a good sign. Church bell ringing on the hour!

fabulous place to stay :) fantastic staff :)

As I had an early morning meeting and would miss breakfast the staff made up a breakfast tray for me which was really nice and really kind of them. Thank you.

More than a B and B!!!
    • Deluxe Suite

The room was really well furnished and there was lots of nice little touches! The owners have gone the extra mile

The room was beautiful and the breakfast was excellent

Superb Dartmoor Pub With Rooms and Excellent Home Cooking

Not keen on the decor in the shower room and some of the paintings throughout the inn! Sorry if l have offended anyone!

Otter Bitter, superb pies, excellent range of fresh al dente vegetables, easy can-do helpfulness of staff and - above all - superb roast beef Sunday lunch, ample portion and very fair price. We have stayed some years at The Globe and have every wish to stay again and again.

Quaint, and very friendly

Steep stairs to the room for getting the bags up, but it is an old property.

Loved the place, quaint and very nicely presented. We had the front room upstairs overlooking the church which really was delightful. It was incredibly hot (32c) during our stay and we could have benefited from air con, but other than that, the stay was very enjoyable, Had a meal in the hotel, food delicious, very helpful and attentive staff. Would definitely recommend. Only visited as my mum lived in Chagford in the 1950's and thought it would be nice to see what it was like as Ive never visited and she died in 2012. I don't think its probably changed much, which is lovely.

Lovely spacious well equipped and spotlessly clean room.
    • Deluxe Suite

Lovely spacious well equipped and spotlessly clean room. Welcoming, polite and friendly staff. Good evening meal and lovely breakfast with good quality ingredients.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

Nice place

An old,tired brown sofa in my bedroom.

Stayed with two friends. We all liked the place. Staff very charming and friendly. We ate at The Globe in the evening. Superb!

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Our second stay and it didn't disappoint!

Yes, parking is all of 2 minutes away in a local car park. But this does not detract from the experience in our view. Parking rates very low.

The location and building are a lovely introduction to historic Dartmoor. The décor is quirky which adds to the charm. The staff are both friendly and attentive and both rooms we have stayed in were spacious. Can recommend Azalea room for a view across to the church and surrounding countryside - unless you find graveyards disturbing. The dining menu is varied, with large portion sizes. Can recommend the duck, faggots and roast dinner. Beers and wines good quality. A real treat.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

The room was quite and comfortable, the breakfast good and...
    • Family Room

The bathroom was a little cramped. If like me you are over 6ft - mind your head in the shower. A mirror next to a power socket would be desirable. Finally it would be hel;pful to indiate which rooms are suitable for pets and which are not.

The room was quite and comfortable, the breakfast good and the restaraunt food excellent.

A relaxing and welcoming place to stay
    • Deluxe Suite

The only thing that could have been better was the lack of shower as there was only a hand-held shower in the bath but no curtain. I am happy with a bath but my partner prefers a shower. However we could see that the bathroom may not be high enough for a stand up shower.

Staff were extremely friendly and keen to make our stay as comfortable as possible. The breakfast and dinners we had were excellent and our room was huge with dual aspect so lovely views of the countryside and the church.

Great location, hospitality and comfort.

Nothing to complain about as we had a fantastic 2 night stay.

Hotel location was perfect with local parking nearby. The room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. Good evening meals and a hearty breakfast.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

Lovely stay in historic building

Nothing could have been done to make the stay better.

Love that the owners have managed to create such a comfortable environment in this quaint old building. Helpful, friendly staff. Great location in the heart of Chagford.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

Highly Recommended Locals Inn in beautiful Chagford.

Sticky Toffee pudding not up to scratch. Shower not powerful. Slight traffic noise- windows could do with changing to Double or triple glazing.

Friendly locals pub. Lovely warm fires after hiking round Fernworthy Reservoir. Food was wholesome.

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

We expected more for the price

There is no decent coffee for breakfast. Only one available room if you go with your dog, which is a standard room with no views.

Good wireless. Good food. Excellent location for trekking. Good room size.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2016

cosy place to stay and explore dartmoor
    • Deluxe Suite

somewhat a little need for up dating, and my food was very burnt one night which was disappointing , , this was about all i could complain about.

the staff were very welcoming and friendly, the bed was big and comfortable , and there was plenty of room in the wild rose room, it was also very warm . theres a lovely cosy log fire in the bar we would return, a great selection of food for breakfast also.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

A good traditional coaching inn in Chagford, great for Dartmoor and Castle Drogo.
    • Family Room

Mattress in the family room double bed could be improved.

Classic traditional coaching inn in the heart of the great Dartmoor town of Chagford. A good family room at the top of the building. A very warm welcome from the staff and locals. Pub with warm open fire and an ejoyable and good Open Mike evening on one of the nights we were there. Good breakfasts.

• Reviewed: 20 October 2018

Thought it would.pub with rooms but much more than that.

Poached egg yolks were hard.

Bedroom had some quirky features and excellent view over Church. Very modern shower. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Really delicious steak & ale pie

Really delicious steak & ale pie

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Found it very lovely there .

Don't know

Staff were very helpful & nice .

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

Great place , would go back again no hesitation.

Breakfast was excellent , plenty of options

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

lovely overnight stay in a good hotel in beautiful location
    • Superior Twin Room

steep narrow staircase to access rooms

wonderful comfy bed

Quaint Devon village.

Quaint Devon village. Very friendly people, countryside was very scenic.

Excellent staff really homily

Excellent staff really homily

Very pleasant stop over in Dartmoor

Traditional English Inn

Mike and Jo
    • Deluxe Suite

The staff were excellent and the food was exceptional

From the welcome to the breakfast all was excellent.

Great food

From the welcome to the breakfast all was excellent. Will be coming back

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Delightful break far from the maddening crowd

The headache both mornings after too many pints of otter the night previous

Lovely people, lovely village

Perfect location especially as we had a wedding in the church over the road.

Couldn't be in a better part of the town.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Very friendly owners

Very friendly owners

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

Good position for Dartmoor national park and parking

Good position for Dartmoor national park and parking

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

• Family Room

The pub serves very good food and the staff is very friendly.
    • Family Room

The pub serves very good food and the staff is very friendly. There is a large car park close to the hotel for only 3 pounds a day.

Friendly staff, wonderful food and great location

The bathroom window didn’t open

Friendly staff, wonderful food and great location

Friendly welcome in great village pub.

Room decor somewhat dated! One hour slot for breakfast

Large room. Great location. Dog friendly - though I had left mine behind on this occasion

Great atmosphere;really friendly,helpful staff
    • Deluxe Suite

We loved our room,Wild Rose and Jennifer and Nick were really great people.Great

Friendly comfortable pub in charming village

No lift

Fabulous and friendly hosts. Interesting and stylish rooms.

Friendly personnel!

Friendly personnel! Good food! Really pleasant stay...should have booked longer! Good location for trips/ hikes in Dartmoor

Great, thank you

Steak and ale pie was homemade and delicious. 3 course breakfast was great. Room was roomy and comfortable.

Lovely stay, great location and great staff

Nice friendly staff, the room is spotless and comfortable. Good choice of real ale in the bar and food.

Great small place to stay in Dartmoor

Small breakfast selection

Great location in chagford, fully stocked bar!

Met our needs

Tepid small shower Weak coffee

Location in village

We experienced loud music right under our room until 11pm.

We experienced loud music right under our room until 11pm. It didn't make for a peaceful evening.

Good break

No car park

Excellent food Excellent service

Excellent location, nice friendly pub with good food.
    • Superior Twin Room

Towels were a bit thin and although wet in the morning were not changed until we asked.

Very pleasant atmosphere and staff very friendly

Perfect find

Very spacious bedroom and excellent food, friendly accommodating staff.