Reviews of The Goring 5 stars

15 Beeston Place, Westminster Borough, London, SW1W 0JW, United Kingdom

#12 of 977 hotels in London

9.8

The bed was two mattresses together. Overly firm as well. And no minibar in the room. Staff were also doing some sort of maintenance in the hall outside room, loudly, from 8am. The main restaurant also closed too early for lunch. Very expensive.

Great staff, cool vibe.

No full length mirror. Great room service but it'd be nice to have a kettle in the room for my early morning cuppa!

Very comfortable beds. Great shower! Incredibly friendly staff.

• Delightful Queen Room

I booked 4 nights at the Goring. As a woman travelling alone, I went into the almost empty bar and was offered a seat at the bar. Apart from the fact that I’d have been the only person sitting at the bar, I told staff that I didn’t think it appropriate for a woman by herself to be seated there. After a bit of frowning they then gave me the table to the right of the entry near where all staff moved in and out from behind the bar. Clearly no nicer position was to be offered to someone who wasnt going to add much to the bar profits. While I sat over 2 wines and waited for my light meal, I couldn’t help but notice that the bar manager chatted for at least 10mins to the solo older Englishman at the next table. It seemed a shame that some of that bonhomie couldn’t have extended to even just a passing pleasantry to myself. I didn’t return to the bar again while at the Goring, and I actually wrote to the management about my experience in the hope they might acknowledge that their solo female guests also needed to feel welcome using all the Hotel’s facilities. I had no intention of putting my experiences on any travel website, but given I received no reply from this hotel, I am doing so here. I suggest that solo female travellers find somewhere more welcoming than the Goring when choosing accommodation in London.

• Delightful Queen Room

I lost a relative on the 22/3/2018 and made a phone call in the bar. I was told by a member of the bar staff to get of the phone. THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.

EVERYTHING. ! Extremely polite and friendly staff they bent over backwards for me as it was my 65 birthday and i retired on the same day. The staff where extremly kind to me. Thanks so much.

• Delightful Queen Room

Speed up the service ever so slightly

A very different experience from that of most hotels. Truly cossetted, from the moment you walk through the opened door to walking back out; despite your wallet being considerably lighter it leaves you with a warm glow. The staff have thought about what you might want before you knew you wanted it! The room, attention to detail, staff and restaurant were excellent.

• Delightful King / Twin Room

Not much, just a little niggled: I happened to be at the reception desk when another couple arrived there at the same time. And the lady receptionist serving them was so effusive saying that they were being upgraded for free. I felt grieved - and wondered why we weren't given an upgrade?! (Although they did look a very prosperous couple and were probably spending more than one night with the Goring.) In the room I was stayed in (I think no. 111 top floor). The light switches were certainly not old style switches. They were little electronic pads. And they were difficult to see what you were doing as you tapped away; whether you were drawing the curtains or switching of the lights! Also the bath was a strange shape. The sides were very high, and, if you are not so nibble and young - it would be a challenge to get your leg over the side to stand in the bath to use the shower.

It makes a pleasant change to find a dining room in the old style with carpets and curtains rather than blinds and wooden floors. And where the tables are good sizes and are well spaced out. And the food and service was excellent.

• Delightful Queen Room

Truly amazing experience. Staff were so courteous and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. Speedy room service, allowed to try the wine before having a glass. Service in bar was attentive but not intrusive. Love the silver teapot and quality of proper leaf tea was astounding. Will definitely be returning.

• Delightful King / Twin Room

The toilet seat was not clean. Room full of previous geusts hair. Room AC didnt work well. The shower had no water pressure, it was useless.

The wallpaper in the corridor and the sheep toy

• Delightful Queen Room

I didn’t like having to leave.

Lovely High Tea. Wonderful lounge with fire in the fireplace. My daughter loved the fluffy stuffed lamb on the bed to take home with her.

• One-Bedroom Suite

We arrived for breakfast 10 minutes before the end of stated breakfast time and were told it was finished - there were two other couples in the same situation - we were seated but it felt like we were a nuisance. In most hotels they allow people to arrive up to the time stated and then allow for you to eat.

I stayed at The Goring Hotel for my Wedding which was being held at Westminster Abbey. The staff at the hotel were absolutely amazing, especially the Head Footman, who even held my train and helped me into my horse and carriage. I felt like a princess, albeit a rather old one! There were beautiful posies of flowers all over my suite which was beautiful and the free champagne was a lovely touch. Everyone knew my name and greeted me authentically throughout the stay. We will definitely be back!

• Delightful Queen Room

The staff and quality of service was impeccable - the best we experienced of all the hotels we have stayed at. The room wasn’t quite ready when my wife arrived and she was invited to wait in the lounge with a complimentary glass of champagne! We enjoyed an excellent dinner and breakfast in the lovely dining room.

• Delightful Queen Room

Nothing. We did struggle a bit with the duvet on the bed which was so efficient that it could be used on expeditions to Mt Everest. Perhaps our fault for not requesting a lighter version.

Superb service, great food, great bar all combine to provide the perfect ambience for a short stay in London. No item or request was too much trouble and the location made it easy to travel around London. I am used to the legendary service of the Far East hotels and this was of the same standard. A particular bonus was the demeanour of the staff who were efficient and friendly without any hint of condescension. Excellent hotel!

• Delightful King / Twin Room

The Goring is a beautiful hotel, with wonderful staff, a fabulous bar and comfortable beds. Like a home away from home. I recommend highly for the solo traveller as they take great care to make those traveling alone feel very cared for.

Lift was a bit slow.

Very attentive service, staff knew your name, sumptuous rooms, attention to detail. Immactulate service. Nothing a problem. Location was great for Victoria Station and visit to Buckingham Palace.

• Delightful King / Twin Room

was served an extremely tough steak. the second one was not much better, so was given fish instead. this was dry and not the best, and I left most of it , but they charged me on the bill. I would have expected a free drink at least plus no charge for the meal

bed excellent décor lovely garden very good

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Delightful Queen Room

There was nothing that we didn't like. Maybe the drinks from the bar could have been a bit cheaper but compared to other hotels, at least when you are charged a premium, you get quality

Fabulous hotel, great location within walking distance of Victoria station so access to all of London via underground. Easy walking distance to Buckingham Palace, The Mall, Trafalgar Square (and on to Leicester Square, Covent Garden and ChinaTown)', Whitehall, Horseguards, Downing Street, Cenotaph, Churchills War Rooms and Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey and Westminster Bridge. The hotel itself is beautiful and oozes quality and great customer service. Absolutely beautiful.

• Delightful Queen Room

Nothing of real consequence although they did charge me for cleaning I did not have done.However it was the hotel that pointed this out to me and provided an immediate refund.

Great food and almost all the staff were great

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• Delightful Queen Room

Breakfast selection options were average or just explained poorly,head of staff at breakfast seemed to be in a rush and just a little abrupt.

Level of detail/friendliness by staff was mightly impressive. Overall a truly wonderful place!!!

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• Delightful Queen Room

An excellent hotel, so peaceful and quiet with a lovely room and wonderfully attentive and polite staff. It was a lovely place to go for a celebration birthday.

• Delightful Queen Room

The lounge staff were not so good- very slow and not particularly diligent. Every order we had was the same but turned up different and we had to confirm our room number ALOT.

The hotel is beautiful and the door staff and concierge were great. The food was also excellent.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

Nothing to dislike.

The service was exceptional. Everything was excellent. The staff were very welcoming and we were made to feel very comfortable throughout the hotel.

• Delightful Queen Room

no fridge in room . no hair dryer .no tea or coffee in room these are basics.not practical to ring for room service for these items every time.water provided but is warm . restaurant is defiantly not a michelin star . had white fish on white plate with white veg very salty very very disappointed will not return

staff are very friendly

• Delightful Queen Room

The room was gorgeous but too small

The staff were exceptional and the hotel felt like a country residence in the heart of London. The food was also fabulous.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• Delightful Queen Room

Nothing, it was lovely. Maybe tea and coffee in the room? But the room service was quick and efficient.

Fabulous, friendly staff, we felt like we had stayed a hundred times, though it was only our second visit. My daughter and her friend arrived to meet us while we were out and were made to feel welcome and comfortable. The bedroom was beautiful and very comfortable, and we were both able to take some work calls in the gorgeous sitting room. We were able to easily get to everything we needed in London, it's a very quick walk to The Palace, gardens and shops, we will certainly stay again.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

• Delightful Queen Room

Restaurant food did not feel like michelin star

Staff was amazing! Real 5 star service, made you feel special and not like a number. Shannon at reception and the guys at the door were excellent! Concierge staff also very helpful!

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

No complaints at all.

Staff superb - service, manner, attitude all excellent. Nothing too much trouble. Very comfortable particularly in lounge and bar area. Good tasty light bar meals. Excellent gin selection. Haven't had a better experience anywhere in Europe, or rest of world.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

• Delightful Queen Room

Temperature in dining room and lounge a little on the cool side Sunday evening.

Very nice meal in restaurant Sunday evening. All four guests delighted.

• Reviewed: 7 December 2016

• Deluxe King Room with Garden View

Room above must have had no carpets unlike ours, because we could hear furniture being moved/dragged about.

Despite the fact that the kingsize bed was joined it did not give at the edges and was very comfy. Staff were excellent, nothing is too much trouble. Food is also excellent.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Delightful Queen Room

That our stay at The Goring was not long enough!

Outstanding, attention to detail, friendly service, making us feel very "at home". Loved every moment of our stay.

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

The air conditioning in the bedroom didn't work very well and the water system needs updating, bath took a long time to unfill

The staff are fantastic, location is very good, afternoon tea awesome

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Delightful Queen Room

The hotel mentions a gym. However, the gym is just one running machine and a stepper in a closet. I think they should be clearer when booking. Of course, there are acres of lovely running in the nearby parks or along the river but I would rather know this up front so I could bring my running shoes as opposed to my gym shoes. It is very 'posh' for want of a better word. I don't think this is good or bad. If you like old school British formal then this will be amazing, if you prefer laid back, without two people holding a door open for you at every turn then you may find it a little overpowering. As I said in the 'like' comments though - all of the staff were very friendly, its just the style of the place and once you can navigate the small lobby you are all good!! :)

Superb location. Staff were great - from the reception to the bar. I was there on business but always use the opportunity to have a look at a number of 'non chain' hotels to see if its somewhere I may whisk my wife off to for a romantic weekend. Rooms were small but nicely laid out. I wasn't happy with my first room as it overlooked some bins :( but after a call down to reception, the Welsh chap there (Ned, I think?) was super helpful and moved me to a top floor room (112) which was much more pleasant and a little more spacious. If you want a great gastro pub head five minutes down the road to 'The Thomas Cubitt'. Great suggestion from Ned, was a fantastic place to eat, drink and people watch.

• Deluxe King Room with Garden View

Nothing !

I feel it is expensive but the best ! WiFi is a bit hit and miss at times but a lot of places in London are

• Delightful King / Twin Room

The prices and the full English breakfast left a lot to be desired😔

The garden is beautiful

• Delightful Queen Room

The staff are first class - the hotel a real home from home!

• Delightful King / Twin Room

Staff so polite and helpful

• Delightful Queen Room

The staff and service were the best we have ever experienced

The attention to detail from the minute we walked through the doors was exeptional

Nothing whatsoever.

Perfect service! The very best.

• Delightful Queen Room

The staff are verywell trained. They are so welcoming and attentive that you definitely want to come back!

A mirror near a plug socket for the hairdryer etc.

It’s a real treat

Staff, facilities, most unwelcoming, no minibar, were told bar supposed to be 24hrs, but was closed when we returned and we were locked out!!

Perfect!

• Delightful Queen Room

The staff were utterly charming and it’s an ambience truly special at the Goring. A must do experience for everyone and in a wonderful location.

• Delightful Queen Room

Staff were lovely. Hotel immaculate. Excellent service.

• Delightful King / Twin Room

could have been a little less expen sive

it was quite cold in the hotel however it was snowing outside

Best service ever!!!!!

• Delightful Queen Room

Drinks a little pricey no decent lager even bottled ones tins of Guinness no no no!! .

Excellent breakfast and staff

• Delightful Queen Room

Breakfast a little disappointing.

Very comfy bed and beautiful room. Staff very friendly and accommodating.

N/a

Staff excellent, friendly & professional, food excellent, rooms spotless

• Delightful King / Twin Room

Wonderful friendly personalized staff and service.

Nil

Almost every area was confirmed

• Delightful King / Twin Room

Perfect, traditional, luxury central London hotel - true home from home!

All excellent

All round excellent

Having to leave!

Everything. Beautiful rooms, amazing staff

• Delightful Queen Room

Stunning Edwardian building with beautifully but sensitively updated interiors, outstanding, personal service from the moment you arrive.

The warm staff Beautiful surrounds And the sheep on the beds 😊

• Delightful Queen Room

Nice breakfast. Cosy bar. Excellent afternoon tea. Very polite and helpful staff

The plumbing.

The whole experience. Understated luxury is how I would describe The Goring.

• Delightful Queen Room

The staff were very attentive. I booked this fo my daughter's short honeymoon and they made their stay very special.

• Delightful Queen Room

friendliness of staff is 2nd to non,they really make you feel at home the pre theatre dinner was outstanding

• Delightful Queen Room

A genuinely, traditional "British" experience.

Just fabulous

• Delightful Queen Room

No safe The bed was too small

• Delightful Queen Room

Excellent breakfast. Comfy beds. Staff go the extra mile.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

The Goring feels like visiting family. Always wonderful

Yes! Yes!

• Delightful Queen Room

Just a wonderful property that is more like staying in somebody’s home than a hotel!

• Delightful Queen Room

Excellent service from all staff.

• Delightful Queen Room

A wonderful traditionally "English" experience in central London - would recommend to anyone!

room size bed size

Excellent restaurant.

£12 for two cups of tea to be brought to our room

Wonderful location, luxurious rooms, amazing food

• Delightful Queen Room

The service is superb and the location excellent. Highly recommended!

• Delightful King / Twin Room

You are doing an amazing job. Thank you!

Everything - almost perfect