Reviews of The Greswolde Arms Hotel 4 stars

High Street, Solihull, B93 0LL, United Kingdom

#11 of 19 hotels in Solihull

Doors need sound proofing on. When other residents returned to their rooms at 2.30am and then at 4.00am, despite their not being particularly noisey it sounded as though they were in my room and woke me up.

Very nice room and excellent gin selection.

We stayed here Friday night for a stopover the the NEC on Saturday. Location was absolutely perfect, took about 9 mins to get to the NEC in the morning. Staff were so lovely and helpful. Food delicious in the restaurant and breakfast was such good value. Rooms were ideal large and comfortable. We booked three rooms and asked them to be near each other and they were all next to each other, so ideal. Thank you for a great stay. Will definitely return when I visit the NEC again.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming and the room was very comfortable. We had an excellent breakfast and the level of cleanliness was very good.

Parking - it wasn't made clear in the car park that you didn't require to get a ticket from the machine. this was very quickly rectified when in the hotel.

Very Clean, great room with comfy bed. great food! very reasonable price :-)

Restaurant very poor. It was a Chef and Brewer and the food was very ordinary Breakfast was poor. Your choice from the menu was allegedly prepared freshly. Not so the bacon, sausage, mushrooms etc were all precooked and just plated. The service was poor also, the waitress was clearly put out when I asked for more warm mil’ for the coffee. Very unprofessional I leave the best/worst till last. There was no soap in the bathroom of any description and the manager’s response was “we don’t offer soap, use the body wash in the shower” First and last time at this establishment

The room was clean and the bed comfortable

Not much to be honest - easier access to water at breakfast maybe!

The bar staff were very friendly late Saturday night , the room was very comfortable and the breakfast was lovely.

Towels could have been bigger and softer and larger bed would be good but that's cause we are used to a super king.

Loved the decor and food was good

There’s no elevator and there are a bunch of half levels, so there were lots of stairs to climb.

It was cute and quaint. The rooms were clean, but the hallway had a extremely foul smell. The beds were good.

Cooked breakfast was very overdone and appeared to be reheated and certainly overcooked. Room was supposed to be a double with a double bed but it was 2 single beds. Not much point in having 2 beds when you are booking alone.

Good location for National Motorcycle Museum and Birmingham.

May could do with a key code up to the hotel rooms to stop the general public wandering up.

Brilliant stay I had a four year old and the hotel was so relaxed and my son even chilled while we were staying there. It is an extremely clean hotel we will be back!

Another excellent stay at this little gem of a hotel. It’s perfect if you are attending events at the NEC and Solihull town centre is only 10 minutes away.

• Suite

During opening hours the door to the hotel rooms was open to the public, I think if there was a key code so the public couldn't access the hotel room would be a good idea.

The hotel was a very friendly place for myself and my young son, we will will be back!

On arrival we were allocated a triple room as we had booked, however when we went up to the room it was only a double. I went back down and was allocated the second room we had booked. This again was a double. I had to go down a second time to explain. The staff members in check in then realised that the chamber staff had not set out the pull out bed. This was quickly remedied. The only other thinkmand it is picky is the outside sitting area could have done with a clean. Neither od these issues would prevent bus staying again. Lovely place.

The location was excellent. We lived the decor and the outside sitting area. The staff were also lovely and accommodating.

Perfect location, super helpful staff, room was spacious modern, lovely decor and just super comfortable all round. Food was great too, and highly recommend. Thank you for a perfect stay.

Toilet handle didn’t work, too late to do anything about it, we were changed ready for bed, and there was a wedding reception on downstairs, very busy and noisy! Spoke to hotel manager next morning very apologetic he reduced our bill by £30. They seemed to be aware of the problem in room 14!

Nicely decorated, comfy and clean

The new toilet system as it was hard to get it right to flush.

Food was good staff was tentative room was lovely and surprised how quite it was at night , considering the bar was below us.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The hotel was very clean and comfortable and all the facilities were excellent. The car park was good and the staff at reception were helpful.

Breakfast was disappointing. Cold coffee, toaster broken, buffet poor, toast made in kitchen eventually so didn’t have with main breakfast.

Room comfy and extremely clean

pillows were a bit hard. Hotel a bit noisy at night. we had continuous humming/winning noise all night sounded a bit like a spin dryer?? Was not air condition as we turned it off. Walls are thin can hear next door.

value for money. room comfortable and clean.

A lot of stairs (both up and down) to get to Room 31 and I don't travel light! Having said that, you couldn't change it due to the age and design of the building.

Comfortable rooms. Friendly Staff.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Breakfast, this is very poor and can easily be improved. I have stayed many times and buffet and cooked breakfast is always badly cooked. Only good thing is they do now do a fresh fruit compote. Other continental offering is rubbish for rates charged. I would never risk dinner based on breakfast. Please sort this out as otherwise it’s a great place. Breakfast was extra £15 on top of £135 room sing occ.

Nice location with easy parking and restaurants nearby

Extra coffee and milk would be good as there just wasn't enough . Also some extra signage on the top floor for reception as i got lost twice !

Rooms are lovely and the staff are great

Our room (20) overlooked the hotel kitchen extraction systems which were quite noisy when they cranked up at 6 am. Our windows were glazed in frosted glass (presumably to avoid looking at at afore-mentioned extraction equipment) but it felt like being in a 'box'. We also didn't appreciate people running up and down the corridor outside our room after midnight shouting to one another on our first night, but I don't think the hotel can do a lot about this!

Well appointed room. Friendly staff. The hotel was generally very smart and spacious. Great location in the centre of beautiful Knowle with lots of eating and drinking options available within 5 minutes walk of the hotel if you don't want to eat 'in house'. Extensive free parking in hotel car park (its 'pay & display' - get your parking ticket from reception instead of buying a ticket from the machine).

Bathroom needed maintenance and could have been improved. Toilet would not flush properly. Sink plug leaked. No soap or hand-wash provided. Shower controls poor. No grab rails in shower which would be useful for elderly customers or those with mobility issues. No restaurant service in evening. Having waited for 20 minutes for a waiter to take our order we left and went to a very good Italian restaurant across the road. I left a note with the above points at reception together with my email address, however I have not received the courtesy of an acknowledgement.

Room very clean and quite comfortable. Excellent breakfast service in restaurant.

Extractor fan in bathroom not working.

Great location for visiting family in Knowle - we've stayed several times before! Comfortable well equipped and decorated bedrooms.

• Suite

We chose not to eat here because it appeared cold and draughty as the front door opened into to main dining area. It appeared to lack atmosphere although that was not the case in the drinking areas.

We loved the suite room we checked into. It was spacious and beautifully furnished. The standard of cleanliness was excellent. Best room I've stayed in for some time.

As usual there were so few staff that I had to wait 10 minutes for someone to check me in and then it was the Barman who then had other customers waiting. When I entered the bar later a guest of mine had waited over 10 minutes to be served and then he went back for another drink and was told he would have to wait again. so we left and drank and ate elsewhere.

. Nothing.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The Room! Very Basic! No heating on arrival, room was very cold. Several Plug sockets didn't work. No Blind at Bathroom window, although frosted Glass. Lighting in general poor. Tea/ coffee facilities / Bar Food quality average! Very expensive considering the above.

The location! Very accessible for the NEC!

Apart from the lack of a view. No negatives.

We were there for an overnight stay. The overall impression when we arrived was that the hotel was very popular with locals as the bar area was very busy when we arrived at 4pm. The location is excellent, Knowle is a lovely town and is well situated for a number of attractions. The room was as expected but with no view at all from the window. Breakfast was good. The staff were very pleasant.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The heating system was defective and as it was winter caused a small amount of discomfort, but didn't spoil our stay.

The staff were very friendly, courteous, efficient. The food and drinks were excellent. All round 9.5 out of 10

The shower in the bath, there was nothing to hold onto........ My husband slipped and fell, luckily he was not badly hurt. Needs some form of non slip surface and a grab handle.

Breakfast could have been a lot better. No cooked breakfast as chef didn’t turn up because of snow. Continental charged for but sparse for price

Rooms were a lovely size with excellent bathroom facilities, great bath and shower.

Location was great and the hotel was spotless. I went to watch my friend's band play there and had a wonderful evening. Hotel was clean, rooms were perfect and the breakfast was great. What more do you need?

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

The noisy heating fan in the room that kept us awake most of the night

We complained about the noisy heating fan which kept us awake most of the night and the reduced our bill by £40

I was unaware that when booking our stay, that the payment would be taken at checkout at the hotel. When I gave my card details online, I thought all was paid for and sorted. However, when I got to checking out at the hotel, I was a little shocked when the receptionist asked me to pay for the room again. They did explain to me that providing my card details prior to my stay, was for security and cancellation/refund reasons, but I just assumed it was already paid. Partly my fault for not checking my bank statement after booking on your website, but also feel it could have been clearer both online or via email. Overall a fantastic stay though, so thank you!

The bed was superb! So comfortable and the room was very spacious! Really nice decor too!

Breakfast was a little underwhelming could have been a little more choice.

We went to the hotel to watch the band for new years eve Dave Mac5. They were excellent. Great night great atmosphere!

Breakfast extra

Pleasant room. Staff very helpful. Bar well stocked. Food superb and reasonable price. Rooms well signposted. Car park free. Close to shops, other restaurants

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

Not happy with the guy on reception -George... check out time was 12 midday, I arrived with my young son at 12.05 and apologized for being late (my wife had just received a call from her sister to say that her sister-in-law had just died ......) I went straight to the room to finish packing George phoned me in the room about 5 mins later reminding me we had to check out, we I said ‘I know and am coming down to reception as fast as I can’. To add insult to injury he then phoned me on my mobile ..... We had ten bags to carry, my son is only 7 but did his best, luckily the housekeeper gave us a hand and was an Angel .... Got to reception to pay the bill and ‘George’ quite smugly told me that we were being charged £30 for ‘late check-out’ ..... I queried it but he said we were an 1.5 hrs over time. Complete nonsense as I checked on my mobile at the time and we had been about 40 mins over. George being a bit of a ‘jobs worth’ persisted and charged the £30, I was not in the mood to argue as I was concerned for the well being of my wife ..... It’s a real shame as all the rest of the staff, including the manager who did our check-in, the bar staff the night before, the staff at breakfast in the morning, were superb in their customer care and attention without exception. I guess maybe George needs re-training in customer relations or people skills in general. It’s also a shame as I was going to leave a generous tip as up to the point in question everything had been lovely - I guess George owes his colleagues a share of the £30 he chose to charge me ... I’ve used Booking.com on several occasions previously and found them efficient, correct and a pleasure to deal with. I travel a lot and so have gotten used to good ( as well as bad customer service). Unfortunately today’s experience puts a question mark in my mind as to whether I would use Booking.com again ..... although it was not your doing it was one of your outlets ..... Kind regards David

• Suite

No lift,because listed building. We were allocated a third floor room along several corridors and fire doors. My wife has a bad back and struggled with the stairs. Staff were very helpful and gave us a disabled room on the ground floor.The only problem being that the mirror in the bathroom was too low and my wife could not do her makeup and I could not shave.There was no mirror at the dressing table in the bedroom. We were going to a family party and struggled to get ready.

Lift access up to room , Room was cold on arrival and draught came though window

Spacious room with all the usual facilities you would expect like en suite , tea making , TV and toiletries plus free parking Reasonable price

I would have preferred a room not facing the road, as there was some noise, despite the secondary double glazing.

I liked having the bath as well as the shower, and the heating/air con worked well

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Didn't like the cold bedroom where the heating didn't work on a very cold evening and night. The corridors were very cold indeed. We didn't like the dining-room staff calling us 'guys'.

The bedroom & bathroom were good. The bedroom was cold and the heating didn't appear to work.

Very nice, clean, friendly hotel near Birmingham Airport. Easy to reach by Taxi. Friensly staff and modern and clean rooms. To be resommended !

i loved everything about this place, good location, nice village feel but close to nec, great sized rooms, bathroom good size, all clean, lovley comfortable bed and pillows, great staff, good bar with resturant, will stay again,

The room was a little cold but we mentioned it at reception and they said that they would arrange to turn the heating up straight away.

Friendly staff who remembered your name and made you feel welcome.

• Suite

If I was being picky I would say only leaving 2 teabags per day is a bit mean, the room wasn’t cheap so l expected better.

We were in room 26 so had a bath room! Like a whole room complete with TV etc lovely to relax in the bath watching telly 😁

The heating system didn’t work in either of the rooms that I booked. The chap on reception said that he would look into it but that was in the morning after a rather chilly night. For me the mattress was too hard and not very cosy, a mattress topper would easily resolve this.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms are nicely decorated , very clean and have everything that one would expect.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Booked for a party of 3 (family room) and room was set up as a double bed, no additional blankets/pillows, room was cold overnight and air con made little difference

There is some noise from other room doors opening and closing and an unwanted 06.15 alarm call cause some disruption to sleep.

The staff were friendly and helpful; the room was extremely clean and well-appointed and the location was ideal for our visit.

Easy to reach for a night before airport very impressed with hotel. Lovely rooms decorated to a high standard. Quiet and value for money lovely area shops and other bars.

Someone letting themselves into my room at 8am. I didn’t like that. Booking.com reducing the price by 25% after I’d booked, didn’t like that either.

Room was fine, recently refurbished I think, but lighting really dim! Main problem was someone coming into my room at 8am. There was a knock, but I was only half awake, I didn’t reply, seconds later someone let themselves in. I immediately spoke and they apologised and left. So.... either another customer had access to my room, or a staff member with a key let themselves in. Mentioned it on check out, the check out staff didn’t appear remotely interested or bothered. There are no security bolts on the doors, so beware, perhaps put your luggage in front of the door.

Staff on the desk were all really helpful, rooms were a good size, and obviously recently refurbished, food in the restaurant was very generous for the price, and breakfast included with our room was also very good

No wifi

Staff were excellent, lots of issues,. well versed in apologising, wifi useless, room very comfy but no lifts and tiny steep stairs to my room made access difficult

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Due to a wedding reception in hotel the bar was closed very early. Was very disappointed.

Bedrooms were tastefully decorated and the bed was really comfortable.

Cold in the evening - heating did not work. I suspect that it had not been turned on centrally. Other people were complaining about lack of heating.

Comfortable room, clean and well equipped.

Room was over the pubs bar area and so it was very noisy, particularly on the Friday night. Should have taken earplugs!

Room was nice and hotel in a great location for visiting NEC. Food ok in hotel but excellent Indian restaurant across the road.

Shame the pub has changed to a bog standard chain pub from the glorious Gastro pub it was a few years ago.

Nice comfy bed, great location, good price. Lovely biscuits with the tea bar.

We stayed in this Hotel, cause the location was suitable as i am a Photographer and i was taking Photo's of a wedding at The Forest Hotel. After a great day and evening at the venue, we felt comfortable in our room for the night.

Recently refurbished hotel, very nicely done. Excellent rooms. Good food and very nice staff at diner. For once English people serving, not from Eastern Europe.

Hair in breakfast fruit salad. But we were not charged for the breakfast.

Very comfortable king sized bed. Good breakfast, good price. Good choice. Good full English option.

• King Double Room

very hard and uncomfortable bed. Small double bed although I had booked kingsize. poor quality food . Sparse room and one armchair and one uncomfortable upright chair. Very noisy bar and casual dining area. The hotel is a bar and restaurant with rooms, it doesn't know what it wants to be and so fails as a hotel.

location ,parking, modern, recently refurbished, beer and wine,quiet room

We have been in this excellent hotel many times before, that should say great place When we are In the area , that is where we alway choose to stay Always perfect always great service

Room was clean comfortable beds bathroom was clean but the wash basin tap needed tightening as it moved around when using it. There was a damp mouldy patch where it looked as though the roof was /had been leaking I reported this reception who were very

Hotel has recently been refurbished and it was done to a high standard. Bed was very comfortable and there was plenty of space. We ate in the restaurant which was good quality and value - but there are Thai, Indian, Chinese and fish restaurants within 5 minutes' walk. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Parking was in a public car park but with a permit so no extra charge. We stayed the night before a mid morning flight from Birmingham airport and we were there and parked in 20 minutes.

There was no lift. Asked for a rubber bath mat and never got it, shower over the bath, no grab rails either! so didn't shower or bath! Cooked breakfast on one morning was sent back because it was so badly cooked, other mornings were fine. (Others in the restaurant did the same)

Friendly staff, comfortable bed, quiet room.

Room located near industrial fan giving off cooking smells thus unable to open window. Also room rather gloomy, as it only had one small window.

Staff very friendly and accommodating. Meals were excellent and location perfect.

The bed and pillows were a bit hard. The toilet didn't always flush properly.

The staff friendly and the bar was good, comfortable and nice atmosphere

The toilet in our room did not flush properly. However, management did send a repair man, and as the problem could not be fixed they gave us a discounted rate on the room.

Heated towel rails, lovely restaurant, bar and garden area. Free parking was available for our visitors as well as guests. Value for money, friendly staff.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The car park for the hotel is pay and display 24 hrs a day, after struggling with the ticket machine which wasn't working, we eventually got a permit from the hotel at the point of checking in. The staff at the reception and the restaurant were all very nice. Booked a family room with a good sized double bed and a single bed - basically a double bedroom with a single bed in the corner at a premium rate. The single bed had the hardest mattress i've ever experienced. Had to visit the reception at 2.30 am after being unable to sleep on it, the chap was friendly and sorted me out with another bedroom. When checking out, the gent at the reception was very apologetic and friendly.

The staff

The food and drinks are a little pricey. Otherwise nothing!!

Ideal location in a popular town, with good pubs and restaurants. The staff are excellent and the rooms are well specified and comfortable.

I wasn't aware that I'd booked a 'room only' deal and wasn't reminded of this at reception; in fact we were encouraged to go for breakfast. I was then billed £15 for breakfast when I'd only had a croissant and tea! Gentleman on reception was very unhelpful and unsympathetic when I complained about this. Really ruined an an otherwise pleasant stay. Would also prefer a private car park to a public one.

Nice tiled bathroom with deep bath. Bed and bedding very comfortable.

The window was whitewashed so we could not look out onto the scruffy inner roof area complete with all the noisy air and cooking ducts.....very poor

Excellent staff

Lack of staff though, there should have been someone on Reception. Both times on checking in and checking out we had to wait for someone to attend. We also booked Breakfast, went down on the morning sat down at our table, on 3 occasions the waitress walked straight passed us, never even acknowledged us, so we decided to leave and went down to the Wilsons Arms. We would stay again but only on a Bed Basis.

The rooms were very comfortable and nicely decorated. Very Clean

We ate here in the evening and I did not think you got value for money, we had two courses each and a bottle of wine and it came to £89.00 also the portions were small.

The staff were very polite and helpful.

• King Double Room

Hard to find hotel as their address states Solihull but it is really Knowle. Our GPS had an issue locating the hotel

Lovely, large rooms. Newly renovated. Breakfast and dinner were great. Staff were very helpful. Recommended.