Reviews of The Hare And Hounds At Speen 3 stars

Bath Road, Speen, Newbury, RG14 1QY, United Kingdom

#6 of 8 B&Bs and Inns in Newbury

• Small Double Room

It was close to the cycling venue and very easy to find. Parking right outside our room. For a small room it was big enough to store two road bikes. The food excellent and so was the service. Great value for money on all points.

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

The plaice I ordered was rather mushy; but the salad and vegetables were great

Good range of choices; well cooked scrambled eggs. Service great. Tables laid out beautifully.

Was not made aware that some rooms were not disabled/elderly friendly, on arrival found out there where no lift facilities and my 90 year old mother had no choice but to climb 2 sets of spiral staircases

Nothing special. Very small place, quite old (squeaky stairs, damaged wood & wall paint in places, worn out carpets), the room had a very low ceiling and was in a different building in the courtyard, not in the building with the reception area. The tea was completely underwhelming, which was disappointing for England, and the coffee was meh.

Accommodating (e.g. with leaving the bags there prior to the normal check-in time, and with having 3 adults in the room), helpful (e.g. with calling cabs) and very decent in terms of cleanliness and facilities. Also close (by cab) to Highclere Castle, which we were visiting that day.

• Small Double Room

the bathroom was really small and not clean things like black mouldy soap scum on shower dial and screen. the light pull was black with dirt... bugs on and in window reveal dirty walls... bed so uncomfortable

I booked this property because it had a rating over i booked this place as the rating on booking.com was quite high. very dissapointed with the whole experience very run down and not very clean at all

Excellent food & service. All the staff were most helpful and in particular the young lady who served us our evening meal (the one who once lived in Shifnal).

• Suite

Have stayed in numerous hotels/ B&B up and down the Country and find it disappointing when the occasional place such as this charges extra for breakfast items such as smoked salmon and scrabbled eggs/ eggs Benedict. Sadly this tends to happen more in the South of England. Following this principle, perhaps I should have received a discount for the 4 items I chose not to have on my ‘Full English Breakfast’ plate!

Lovely accommodation within walking distance of the Town Centre. Ate in the restaurant on one evening: food and ambiance lovely. We booked a suite which was great value.

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

The stairs, the hard bed, the lack of water in the room, very few tea bags, only one hand towel for two persons

The location, the view of the castle, plenty of parking, the evening meal and the breakfast.

• Small Double Room

There was nothing we didn't like but something that did raised a laugh.....we had a small double, the very last room available. Do not book this room if you are slightly on the large size as you will not get into the shower room. It it the first time I have washed my face in a bathroom but my "derriere" was still in the bedroom!! My husband thought it hysterical when he pointed this out to me...lol.

We loved everything....the room was very cosy, the food was excellent, the staff were first class and the last minute booking rate was great value. We always have a cooked breakfast to make a final judgement. The toast has to be toasted and not just hot pale bread, the sausages have to be plain (my husband hates ordering sausages and they comes full of herbs!) the bacon has to have flavour and there has to be a good selection of items on the buffet particularly fruit salad. We couldn't fault it. Toast - crispy and brown. Sausages - plain and meaty. Bacon - flavourful and crispy. Full Marks

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

Why don't proprietors of small places like this actually sleep in the rooms from time to time. They would find out all the little things that they probably don't know about. Such as the inconvenience of not having soap trays in the shower, or the position of the coffee table blocking the way to the lavatory. It was expensive for me despite having booked months in advance. My friend who booked at short notice paid £35 less. Breakfast was OK, but not fantastic

Good location for the Windmill theatre

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

Room was very hot and only a small window opened so no through draft I dread to think what would be like in summer

Breakfast was excellent as was evening meal

• Small Double Room

The shower wasn't the best, took a bit of playing with to get it to the right temperature. I wasn't massively impressed with the £2 surcharge on my breakfast, when all I had was scrambled eggs and smoked salmon (which was a small portion!)

I really liked the rooms, I find rooms with doors directly to outside a real bonus, I get quite hot, and it was nice to have both the window and the door open. The room was a decent size, and a good location.

• Small Double Room

My room (Room 6) was near to the A4 so a bit noisy, but not to the extent that I lost sleep. Sink was just a small hand basin so not easy to use for washing/shaving. Could benefit from a shelf above the sink.

Lovely old coaching inn, attentive staff, comfortable bed, powerful shower, excellent food

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

Not too keen on our room in the out buildings. No light either at top or bottom of the stairs! Quite chilly and noisy too. Quite expensive for what we got really.

The breakfast was really good!

I was in room 14. A change of batteries in the TV remote is somewhat overdue!

The real ale in the bar was good! The cooked breakfast was good! The waitress at breakfast was lovely. Sadly, I didn't get her name!

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

The breakfast was delicious, but they had run out of mushrooms which was a bit disappointing and I thought that there could have been some veggie sausages on offer with the veggie breakfast.

Super comfy room, extremely friendly, helpful staff. We were there on a Sunday so had the roast, which was great. Very reasonably priced.

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

The room we had was a little smaller than what I expected, there wasn't much of an atmosphere in the bar and lounge area so after an hour or 2 It was time to go .

Staff at this hotel are great, warm welcoming very friendly! The food was good ,great layout to the hotel all in all the stay was ok .

We made a noise complaint as there was a wedding going on. It was very noisy until nearly 12pm but the staff handled our complaint exceptionally well. The manager and the owner both contacted us separately to apologise and explain that they rarely have weddings and they are not normally that noisy.

The property was comfortable and it was a beautiful property. The dinner and breakfast was very good. We had a lovely dinner by the fire in the evening and enjoyed breakfast in the beautiful barn

Nothing could be better!

This place was a delight from start to finish. Everywhere beautifully kept and laid out. The staff were friendly and willing to help in any way they could. The room was beautifully looked after and the beds were comfy. The breakfast was plentiful and tasty. Would stay here again anytime.

One of the main lights in the room wasn't working. Windows didn't shut properly. It was -2c outside and draughty in the room. Noisy main road.

Good sized room. Comfy beds. Handy that there was a restaurant on site.

Excellent Shepherds pie made with proper lamb instead of mince. Generous portion of perfect cheesecake. Ideal just off A34 at Newbury although room average

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

None for us, although some guests may not like the proximity to the main Bath Road which is busy at times.

Our room was very comfortable and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant(both breakfast and dinner) was superb and the wine was very good quality at an affordable price. It is clear that Jonathon the owner takes considerable pride in the Hotel and I would highly recommend staying there for either business or pleasure.

Bathroom very clean but slightly tired , stair case to top of building ( old property) was really quite narrow ( fell up it and fell down it )but has been there for 150 years so there’s no point really complaining but should be brought to your attention on arrival

Had a room at top of hotel .. was tiny .. bed was uncomfortable .. had a multi plug extension lead bolted to wall to power the lights etc..fire hazard ! .. decor for a £90 plus room was dreadful .. bathroom windows covered in mold . My burger from restraunt was horrible ..sent back not offered a refund till complained again in check out. Looked fantastic on the website .. was very dissapointed with the whole experience

Breakfast was nice .. shower was powerful .. WiFi was good

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

Bedroom next to a Noisy road and no double glazing or noise reduction.

Very nice people. Extremely friendly and a warm welcome. Food was also wonderful. And very clean and comfortable

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

Booked this very last minute (when we were on our way to the area!) and what a choice! The staff were friendly and attentive, the rooms were clean tidy and well equipped, the choice of beer and drinks were very good and the food in the restaurant was magnificent.

• Small Double Room

tiny room, bathroom and shabbily decorated. Poor breakfast, place smelled like an old peoples home!

The photos online were of the rooms in the main building - our room was in an annexe block and was very poor

Small room complicated by low ceilings in the attic of the property - bumped head many times. Bed cover soiled.

Good staff, location, parking, food, breakfast.

We were allocated a room up 2 flights of winding stairs within the main building. The first time we stayed here we stayed in one of the out buildings which is perfect for access especially with a small child. I was disappointed with the room, the toilet had flushing problems and the sink in the bathroom was difficult to use as it was placed next to the sloping ceiling leaving little room to move. The room really was not suited to a family even though there were 2 single beds and one double bed as the single beds were up against the sloping ceilings and it felt a bit cramped in the room.

the breakfasts were good as were the staff

Food is very expensive even though good quality but not worth money as Beef Stake cost around 20 pounds. For the breakfast there was no buffet for bread, egg, sausages etc. They make a plate when you request it. I feel what they are doing is offer the room cheaply and charge lots of money for the foods. For 4 6 adults and two children it cost me for main and some drink and two desserts around 170 pounds, I would say very expensive.

I have booked a triple room with request for extra bed for adult. When I was checking I have asked form the staff whether bed is ready and said yes. I went the room and realize there was no bed I have requested and no space for either extra bed. I came back ad talk to Manager he offered a single room without any additional payment. Unfortunately this was not my expectation as I want to all people to sleep together. Then I have asked for extra double room and they offered happily. Food is very expensive even though good quality but not worth money as Beef Stake cost around 20 pounds. For the breakfast there was no buffet for bread, egg, sausages etc. They make a plate when you request it. I feel what they are doing is offer the room cheaply and charge lots of money for the foods. For 6 adults and two children it cost me for main and some drink and two desserts around 170 pounds, I would say very expensive.

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

Loud guests in hallway, hard to get into very small twin room because of bed arrangement, rushed through breakfast as it only runs 7-9

Good wifi, good shower, alright breakfast

Although the room was very clean and tidy didn't like being in the top floor bedroom with it's sloping roof.

The staff were friendly and very helpful and the food and general atmosphere of the Hotel was superb.

Room on the second floor at the top of an almost spiral staircase. We were offered help with bags. Room in eaves so a little sloping at the edges but not too intrusive except in the bathroom where it was quite noticeable.

Large car park, efficient and friendly reception, good sized room, well appointed bathroom. Good service at supper and breakfast. Extra milk for tea and coffee in room obtained with no problem.

Speen is a mile from downtown Newbury. If you don't want to eat all meals in the hotel's restaurant, it's about 8 pounds each way by taxi to other meal options downtown. Breakfast is full-service traditional English breakfast, not a buffet. Staff was scrambling to serve everyone. We don't eat most of the things served, so we didn't eat the breakfast and can't really rate it. We requested some cappuccino, which they did have available (at extra cost) but it took a while to get because they were in full-rush mode. Dining room is very attractive; food is average.

Facility is comfortable, staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

The wifi is absolutely terrible. The last time I stayed there is was terrible too. I vowed I would not stay there again. I was 18 months ago so I thought they may have fixed it. Not so. I will not be staying there again

• Small Double Room

e- mailed to say I would arrive later than planned and would have liked an acknowledgement. But that is being super picky as no real problems and enjoyed my stay.

Room was in the annex away from the main building. Bed very comfortable, room clean and well equipped, Bathroom a little snug but sufficient for my needs, plenty of parking, No noise issues, Excellent breakfast in very pleasant surroundings, reasonably priced. Would readily stay again should the need arise.

The room we had was in the eaves of the building, the ceiling was very low and even short people like myself and my husband banged heads.

The staff were extremely warm and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. We had dinner in the evening and the food was great.

The evening meals were excellent. My friend had the rump steak which was cooked exactly as she liked it. I had the chicken breast in tempura batter, which if I lived nearer would have over and over again. I can't praise the staff highly enough, so helpful.

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

The bed was extremely comfy. The whole place felt heavily steeped in history. I loved the lay out of the rooms/ Cottages. The courtyard was stunning. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

Stairs to room a steep twisty and narrow so maybe not for the less agile. Second floor room in eves so some ares of limited head high beware it's easy to bang your head in the bathroom

Friendly staff good breakfast. Room a bit cold but the was a heater in the wardrobe so all ok. Would stay again

Don't have any complaints.

Comfortable beds in a decent sized room and a good size bathroom. Breakfast was excellent with a good choice and a well cooked full English.

The only problem being in the eaves my partner is a tall man and found bathroom rather small

The hotel had plenty of character village location room lighting and decor made the room feel warm and inviting Evening meal was excellent Would totally recommend

There's nothing I didn't like

Absolutely love this place perfect for a fashion conscious stylish person , I stayed here with my 18 year old daughter and three chihuahuas , you get your own little ensuite large double room with all the imenities , styled like a luxury cottage and bathroom has shower too fabulous , very friendly helpful staff surrounded by lovely views and ideal for dog walks and close to shops and station too

• Small Double Room

Staff are exceptionallly friendly & helpful. Particularly the restaurant manager ( chap with a beard) the waitresses are all friendly & smiley & helpful

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

There was a little road noise in the room #32 that we were in but not totally unacceptable

Dinner was excellent and nice beer and wine choices. We were late for breakfast and the staff accommodated us with a very acceptable continental breakfast. Good coffee and nice pastries w/chocolate. The location was minutes away from Highclare, which was our final destination.

Restaurant, missing attention from staff, had to ask for condiments at evening meal,long wait for desert. Breakfast no veggie option on menu, had to ask waitress, who had to ask kitchen, had to ask for sauces, sweetners, more coffee please, toast was warmed bread, sent it back, no hot water at all to shower before race day! Best experience was the bar.

Bar manager was amazing.

Smallest bathroom we've ever seen. Functional nevertheless

Good food and staff. Some of the rooms are a little on the small side but then again we booked late and all the better rooms were already taken. Nice short stay hotel/inn. Restaurant was superb.

The rooms were well equipped although the shower only produced cold water! We told reception and they asked us to go and take a shower in another room (Which was outside the property). It would have been nice to have been moved to another room for the remainder of our stay but that didn't happen. There was also a wet dog smell leading up to our room and the stairs were filthy with dog hairs.

• Small Double Room

When I arrived, there was a problem with cleanliness of two of the rooms before I was put in a final one. The entryway of the inn needs to be kept-up more - the carpet was dirty with loose dirt and leaves.

The rooms were lovely and comfortable.

• Small Double Room

Service at breakfast a bit inefficient. Bedroom window was painted shut so room got a bit stuffy - other rooms had windows open so I would request one of those if I stayed again.

Really friendly staff and pleasant ambience. Attractive buildings inside and out. Comfortable bed. Easy to find.

Wifi could be better

Comfortable bed. Delicious breakfast - and unlike most hotels the fruit salad was a great fruit salad with all different kinds of fruit in - not just apple! Conveniently located Plenty of parking

• Small Double Room

Noisy with car radio banging away by young staff member and cars starting up and banging doors. I spoke to other dealers at the fair they did not stop because of noise and no breakfast.

We could not get breakfast as we had to leave early both mornings and the staff wasn't on duty. We explained but to no avail.

The bath room was very small and the shower was poor.

The staff were very friendly and the food was good. Excellent value for money with breakfast included. Very clean.

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

It was a warm night - uncomfortable without air conditioning & unable to open window. On main road A4 so much traffic throughout the night.

The restaurant was excellent. It was also good to have a trouser press in the room

our room was right by the outdoor bar seating and at any other time we wouldn't have minded the laughing and chatting as it was moderate but we really wanted to sleep as we had a big race the next day.

We booked this room as we were taking part in Race to the Stones. It was a great over night stay and the staff were lovely, they even made up a breakfast for us to have first thing (we were leaving at 5.00am)

T V Aerial in room had broken socket hence we kept losing the reception, only 1 bedside cabinet and lamp, no fan.

Very friendly staff, excellent food for both dinner and breakfast. Excellent playpark nearby which our grandchildren loved. We would stay again if we were coming to the area.

• Small Double Room

lovely room just over the other side of main hotel. friendly staff, quick check in, plenty of parking, lovely breakfast, a short drive to main town. deffinately will be returning.

It was excellent - no complaints at all

this place is a real find - if going to Highclere castle it is perfect but also if going to Oxford stay here and travel through. Fabulous clean, comfy and lovely staff. Food was great, prices reasonable and a really good cooked to order all you can eat breakfast - will stay there again.

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

Room was a little close to the beer garden but hardly any noise came into the room

Good spread for Breafast. Evening menu very good and well conditioned ale

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

The room layout was excellent very comfortable bed lovely to have a bath! All information was easy to understand facilities restaurants and food excellent Staff well mannered and professional

• Small Double Room

We got the last room available which was located inere in the stable block. (7 rooms in Total)Unfortunately the room smelt of dogs! Wouldn't book these particular rooms again.

Friendly atmosphere. Excellent food.

• Small Double Room

Food can always be better, but I'd say that of 95% of hotels/pubs with restaurants, so it wasn't bad really, quite good even. Need to look at espresso making though, but again, so could everyone else.

Nice people - talked to you normally, none of this "how can I help you today" nonsense. Nice garden, room well appointed, good shower. Food not bad for this type of place.

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

The food detved in the pub was good quality but a little over priced

The accommodation and restaurant were fabulous. The included breakfast very good.

We stayed on one of the hottest nights of the year so far so it was very hot in the room - but as our own room at home is just as hot we are not marking this against the pub as it is after all and old building

The staff were great - very accommodating

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

The room was a reasonable size, but it had a small corridor to the bathroom that had a vanity able that could be used as a desk for the business traveler. The breakfast was outstanding as was the cheerful greeting on arrival and in the morning in the restaurant. Parking was convenient and plentiful.

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Bit difficult to use the shower as not much headroom

Very clean.Room had everything we needed, plus a fan which was very welcome given the hot day. Comfortable bed and plenty of clean towels.

a little bit further away from centre than expected, walked in for a beer in the evening lovely town but got taxi back

really nice place to stay,good value quality food,very clean, all the staff very nice

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

You couldn't pry a smile out of the staff with a crowbar. The WiFi could ONLY be accessed through their site...personal mobile and computer data was disrupted on-site...very sketchy. Refuse to do work through an unsecured site!

We had room 16, one electrical socket not working requiring us to move appliances, room very hot even with windows open, TV remote control needed new batteries, bed positioned too close to one wall with low ceiling making access and egress an issue especially for people over 6ft tall.

Friendly staff, prompt and efficient. Tasty cooked breakfast.

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

Firstly, arrived at hotel Friday evening to find that cottage mews two bed room was in fact a double bed room, so not what I had booked and totally unsuitable. My brother went into the pub and explained. We were then moved to a room above the pub instead. With narrow stairs to walk up. Which is never tricky with a dog. The twin bedroom given was pleasant enough but no way as nice as being detached from the pub, and having own front door, as had been with the collage mews, which is why I booked in the first place instead. £10 was taken off the bill of the stay but honestly not enough, because it was so noisy! The room was too warm and required windows open, room backed onto a main road and it was busy/noisy past midnight. Next thing was finding the internet only worked on the phones not on laptops. I normally watch movies on you tube to wind down. Then there was the tv... so tiny! Need a magnifying glass to read the menu. Then there was the fact the free-say randomly stopped providing a signal, leaving periods of no television at all. The only good thing that can be said about the television was it had a dvd player incorporated, and we had brought some dvds with us - so weren't completely bored out of our brains. But what a let down this overpriced stay was. I was hoping for a nice breakaway, get away from the stress of daily life and the noise. Do you know they didn't even provide spoons with the minimal tea making facilities either! How you supposed to stir the minimal amount of milk given for tea or coffee. And the next day we were out all day at the agility show and as is common practice, expected to come back to freshly made beds and a new supply of teas, etc. Instead arrived back to completely unmade room, bins not emptied, tired and wanting a nice cup of tea and not being able to have one because nothing restocked. Complained and we're told we would have to wait an hour.

Ok, trying hard to think, I liked the honey at breakfast, in little packets. I also liked I could bring my dog.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

The room (standard) on the 2nd floor was very small (in the eaves). No walking space around the bed and timber supports restricting headroom. Bed was very small and uncomfortable. Landing noisy.

The restaurant was very comfortable and the food/service very good.

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

Not enjoyable. The room we stayed in was "nice", room 25, one of the little cottages at the back. fairly comfortable beds and wooden furniture. BUT the shower let it totally down. Small cubicle, with terrible shower head, very old, dirty and totally in need of some care. Very bad. Yes, there was some shower gel and hair but becomes a joke when the basics are not there. Plus, it was really cold, yet, the summer duvets were out!! no spare blankets anywhere....To be fare the room was clean and the furniture of good quality. shampoo but quite frankly, I would rather have a nice, clean shower ...everything else is a bonus. The food: the dining area is lovely, newly built I am sure, well taken care of and spacious. We had dinner the night before and it was a nice surprise to see fresh flowers on the tables. It did raise my expectations and I thought " the owners have paid attention to details, that's promising!"....However, I ordered one of my favourites steak pie called "Steak pie the good old boy way"...with puff pastry.....well.....what a disappointment!! I was very hungry so I ate it and now profoundly regret it and should have sent it back right away. Let me explain: it had no flavour at all...no salt, no pepper, no taste...there was hardly any meat and I am not even a big meat eater; the meat was cut into thin, small slices...I couldn't understand why there weren't any chunks of meat and flavour???? the sauce was thick and tasteless..and quickly got cold. the vegetables were again, tasteless, cold and watery...just terrible....when the waiter came to take the plates away, I had to tell him about my disappointment....Even the waiter said it should come with big pieces of meat understood why!!...It's only the next morning that I suddenly realized and the food was terrible.

Restaurant bright and airy. Good sized tables even for two. Good sized rooms, nice furniture.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

Bathroom dated and shower a bit pathetic. Noise from room below, particularly when doors banged. Service in restaurant very slow although didn't particularly bother us.

Easy to park and check in. Staff were pleasant and food was good. Nice thick, large towels. Meal fairly good value.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

The restaurant was good - the food was poor and overpriced. Wi fi is dreadful. Ok burt overpriced for the level of accomodation.

An ok type of place convenient to the A34.

• Cottage Double/Twin Room

The room was very hot during the night, even with the windows open and no radiators on. Other than that it was a lovely room.

We stayed here when visiting Highclere Castle and it was a great location for this.