Reviews of The Harvard Inn

High Street, Stock, CM4 9BJ, United Kingdom

#2 of 3 hotels in Stock

• Reviewed: September 23, 2018

Great for location for a wedding we went to.

Check inn was 3pm! We wanted to check in earlier and was told we would have to pay £20.

Great for location for a wedding we went to. Staff on reception were helpful

• Reviewed: September 6, 2018

Enjoyable stay in a lovely setting - would visit again
    • Duplex Twin Studio

Lots of low angled ceilings - room 12 is not for a tall person. The WiFi was very patchy. No mirror in the bathroom which is a first for anywhere I've stayed - had to carry the mirror from the bedroom and hold it to have a shave!

Unusual and nice staying in the tack room, it was very clean and comfortable what more could you want. The breakfasts were lovely and the staff were incredibly helpful and very friendly. A credit to the establishment.

• Reviewed: August 25, 2018

A fantastic find in a very upmarket village where you can breath the wealth £££££

Having to leave

A renovated period hotel, great association with Stock. Laviishly and lovingly restored. Great atmosphere amazing food and wine , lovely room the staff were so so friendly and very knowledgable

• Reviewed: August 13, 2018

Excellent overnight stay
    • Comfort Double Room with Possibility for Extra Bed

For the price we paid for the room, I would have expected Egyptian cotton bedding, which is normally standard in £150 A night rooms.

Bedroom was very spacious, well decorated and bed was enormous!

• Reviewed: August 11, 2018

Wedding Stay

Great location for the wedding we were attending. Lovely food on site, we stayed in for dinner one evening and really enjoyed. Free parking. Accommodating staff. It was particularly warm during our stay and the staff found us a fan for our room.

• Reviewed: August 7, 2018

It was near the venue that I needed to be that evening.

The Manager is rude and not at all helpful. On arrival the payment did not go through on the machine and I was told ‘oh we are having problems today and was asked to use alternative machine method. On checking my account a couple of days later I realised the money was taken twice from my account. One payment cleared and the other is sitting in my pending !! When I queried it I was told this was normal ??? How can taking my payment twice normal. My Mum rang the hotel on my behalf and was clear in her expectation that she needed to speak to the Manager about this as I was now over drawn in my account. She was also clear in telling the receptionist that I would not be sending over screen shots as asked if my account as this I fact showed my sort code and account number ! What was expected was the hotel checked there account and as there had been issues on the day acknowledge this could be the problem !! When I called today to sort it out I was told my Mum was screaming and shouting !! This is a lie and I cannot believe that the manager was more interested in telling me about my Mother than she was in delivering customer service and rectifying the situation ! The manager does not have a friendly disposition and comes across as I am beneath her. I will never use this hotel again nor recommend it to anyone. Staying at a hotel for one night at £120 should not mean £240 is taken from my account as a norm and if this is true norm this should have been made clear from check in. Shameful customer service and obviously don’t care about customer service !

It was near the venue that I needed to be that evening.

• Reviewed: July 29, 2018

Dont get room next to the road

The room was located next to the main road. There was no air conditioning but they did provide a fan. It was a very hot day and we could not pull the curtains to open the window to let in light or air in as we would have been very exposed. This also meant that we were woken by the sound of heavy traffic very early in the morning which spoilt our stay.

Really nice hotel unique and clean. Really generous breakfast serving

• Reviewed: July 27, 2018

Wedding Eve stay...
    • Duplex Twin Studio

The facilities in the rooms are completely basic, we had a kitchen in our room which had no cutlery, crockery and not even a tea towel! We were informed that you wasn’t allowed food in our room... which was very confusing! Considering it was the day before my wedding and I was partly getting ready there on the big day, anything we asked, was an effort. The manager was extremely helpful to other people in my wedding party but unfortunately it seemed to be an effort for me, the bride! Which was such a shame! It massively let down the overall experience as it really is a lovely place but it also can not cope with parties of 6 or more.

It’s a stunning property and extremely clean

• Reviewed: July 25, 2018

Lovely place to stay

It was very hot and stuffy and fans were not available for all our rooms.

The breakfast was fantastic, beds were comfy, staff were very good and the hotel was in an excellent location to our needs.

• Reviewed: July 14, 2018

Perfect stay in the Essex countryside, convenient for London but in a beautiful village location.

It was all good!

General Manager Lisa and the whole team made me feel like this beautiful spot- in the delightful Essex Village of Stock, itself in the countryside - but so close to London - was like my new home from home. A wonderful building, super friendly staff, a hearty, delivious dinner, excellent full cooked breakfast ( mine was inclusive of room rate - I know some hotels would charge gbp30.00 for such a good breakfast!) and a delightful room, free WiFi - just made me want to rave about this little hidden gem! Keep it up! 😊

• Reviewed: June 24, 2018

Lovely place to stay to explore a beautiful part of the county
    • Double Room - Disability Access

I can't think of anything I would have changed.

The room was clean, large and beautifully decorated. Everything you wanted was there. A really delightful place to stay.

• Reviewed: June 14, 2018

What spoilt the experience for me was that although I'd...

What spoilt the experience for me was that although I'd paid by card on check out, I found out the next day that they'd taken the money from my account again. This left me overdrawn with my bank and upset. This wasn't just me but my brother too. When I phoned the hotel to rectify the problem, I was left speaking to a member of staff who had no authority in dealing with this matter and I was told the manager was off and won't be back until the evening the following day. I explained that this was unacceptable as I had no funds to get to work and needed sorting asap. I was told that he'd contact the manager and I would get a phone call. 2 days later, and I've not heard a thing. Now I could of lost a days money and as I'm a supervisor, a day off was not optional. Not impressed to say the least. I suggest you pay cash rather than using your card as this caused me all sorts of problems.

• Reviewed: June 10, 2018

Well presented establishment, clean modern rooms with spacious showers, excellent customer service

Better air flow or even some air conditioning in the restaurant would really help. It was very stuffy and uncomfortable in the morning.

Very well located B&B with high quality facilities and a great restaurant that serves delicious food. Extremely good value for money given the quality of the inclusive breakfast. Our room was in a converted stable block of four rooms at the rear and in most cases staring at the back of a pub isn't a great view but this location has a very high standard of outdoor decor and we felt perfectly at home - even had a nice casual park-style bench outside the room to relax on. The room itself was made up as a double with the usual expected format of two (large) singles pushed together and didn't cause us any discomfort. Bonus points for also having a nice big floor-standing fan in the room too, the evening was very warm and we needed that! Service was very good, friendly, attentive and nothing too much of a problem.

• Reviewed: May 31, 2018

Beautiful historic building, friendly staff with good local pub nearby (The Hoop) - book in advance!

Breakfast was ok - my eggs Benedict Royale came on brown toast instead of toasted muffin but the Full English my partner had was good. I am a light sleeper and rooms facing the main road through the village meant we woke up earlier than we would have liked. Also when we wanted to check out an hour later fro get ready for a wedding they wanted to charge £20 per hour which seemed a bit steep so we got ready at another hotel.

Loved the historical background to the place - we have exposed beams in our room which were lovely. Bathroom was spacious, clean and bright. Staff were friendly and happy to call taxis or give suggestions on local attractions.

• Reviewed: May 29, 2018

The room was exceptionally clean and the large bed was an...

Upon arrival at 1pm, which we acknowledged was earlier than the check in time of 3pm, we were told rather brusquely by the guy behind the bar that 'check in is 3pm'. This was shortly followed by one of the very helpful waiting staff who directed us to the hotel check in desk where seemingly we were able to check in earlier than scheduled! We were not advised of a wifi password so assumed that this wasn't available to us? The only real disappointment was discovering that despite us staying on the Sunday night of the bank holiday weekend, the entire premises closed at 9pm. We were unable to purchase drinks after 9pm and were told that the usual Sunday hours had been extended by one hour as on a normal Sunday the bar closes at 8pm. The same guy who had greeted us at 1pm seemed to take delight in smugly explaining that the premises had closed and the fact that we were residents made no difference :(

The room was exceptionally clean and the large bed was an unexpected luxury. The choices available for breakfast were very good too as was the service.

• Reviewed: May 20, 2018

room nice, place nice and clean

I had to wait a while to check in, there was a problem in the restaurant, I felt they could have done with more staff, as there was only one person doing everything, even served the breakfast! The breakfast was poor, over cooked scrambled egg, way too much smoked salmon.. And the toast that the scrambled egg was on was soggy, guessing all the moisture from the egg ended up in the toast,

Nice room, the lady that looked after me was nice

• Reviewed: May 14, 2018

Clean, good location - Pricey

Size of everything. Very pokey, I'm 6.4 and the bed had my feet hanging out the end. My partner had her wedding make-up done and just about enough room to swing a cat. The artist had to put her make-up on the bed next to me while I waited. No aircon, fan in the corner of the room wedged between the wardrobe. Very awkward at 1am to move. Had to move the side cabinet so my phone charger would fit. No extractor fan in the toilet/shower so everything was misty. My partner is vegan, and no soya milk options. Room was clean, but for the money way below par in my view.

Location - staff

• Reviewed: April 13, 2018

Over rated, over priced and need to improve their service and attention to detail
    • Comfort Double Room with Possibility for Extra Bed

Room not ready at 9.30pm for a family of 3, no toilettries in the bath room, short staff, sausages at breakfast were awful, no sparkling water or white sugar- it was hard work staying there. Hairdryer blowing cold air only.

• Reviewed: March 28, 2018

Lovely hotel in a lovely village.

My breakfast order on Thursday 22nd March was taken by a short male member of staff who I think possibly worked in the kitchen, he had extremely dirty fingers and finger nails which off putting.

Clean room, comfortable bed. Friendly welcome upon arrival

• Reviewed: March 26, 2018

Excellent food
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Not a serious problem but sometimes there were no staff on reception, or when you first walked into breakfast.

Excellent food Room was lovely. Excellent disabled access

• Reviewed: March 24, 2018

Lovely rooms, really classy.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Waited at reception for 10 minutes trying to check out, was pressing the bell that barely works, and then when someone finally came out, she gave me attitude for pressing the bell too hard, I paid up and left.

The bed was lovely, bathroom was clean and modern. Room was fantastic

• Reviewed: March 21, 2018

Very clean and comfortable.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

We stayed in the converted stables. It was a very cold evening and the temperature in the room was 16 degrees on arrival. We spoke to reception who brought us a heater and increased the boiler pressure and the room soon warmed up. Lovely underfloor heating in the wet room.

Very clean and comfortable. Staff were very friendly. Breakfast was lovely and so was the coffee.

• Reviewed: March 20, 2018

8/1

bed was two single beds joined and harder than Vinnie jones lol,all in all though good value for money

location,bar,restaurant are all good,thumbs up :)

• Reviewed: March 8, 2018

Excellent in all areas of our stay.

All staff very friendly and accommodating. We stayed there for a family wedding, venue not too far away. The staff on the day of the wedding were very accommodating at breakfast as we all had hair appointments at various times. If we are ever in the area again would definitely stay there again.

• Reviewed: March 5, 2018

Disappointing...
    • Deluxe Double Room

Given the price paid, I expected more than what we experienced : service : - the hostess was very cold when checking-in - breakfasts took almost half an hour to get served and were not as amazing as what the comments said, I would rather have a buffet and thus more choice and flexibility (hour&food) Equipment : - we had only 2 mugs in the room even though we booked for 3 people - I was cold at night and could not find any extra blankets - we heard noises at night from the restaurant underneath and cars outside - it would be good to have some furniture in the bathroom to put our belongings

We enjoyed the style of the hotel and of our room with apparent beams, the beds were comfortable and the room and bathroom all clean

• Reviewed: February 26, 2018

Expensive but great evening stay.

Even though we had requested early check in. The room had not been hovered. it was clean and had fresh towels etc.

The food was really great. freshly cooked. The rooms were small but enough room for a couple.

• Reviewed: January 29, 2018

Lovely Inn and lovely staff. Thank you.

Being given a room that wasn’t in the hotel itself but instead located across the car park.

Staff, especially Lisa were lovely and very accommodating. Beautiful old building with a lovely warm ambiance.

• Reviewed: January 27, 2018

Really enjoyed this hotel and will definitely be returning.

Maybe some fruit and yoghurt at breakfast?

A lovely property in an excellent location for my business trip to Billericay. A very warm welcome after a long drive. The room was great, with a really good shower and very comfortable bed. Really enjoyed the welcoming bar and great food.

• Reviewed: January 26, 2018

Lovely, quiet and comfortable, just what I needed.

I stayed in room 2, only negative was mirror on wall could have been set a little higher as I am tall! Also, a selection of herbal tea bags would have been nice, but no great problem.

Lovely old character building with modern facilities. Ideal spot for getting to and from London, Chelmsford and Billericay. Stock village is still how I remember it, with a few updates now, like a nice tea room, nice little shop and florist and easy to get to friends or catch the bus.

• Reviewed: January 18, 2018

First class place to stay and do business in Essex

Leaving and saying goodbye.

Lisa was exceptional during our stay and helped whenever required. The venue is stunning and the food great and service wonderful. Excellently located for business in Essex, certainly be going back there.

• Reviewed: January 15, 2018

Parking easy, staff very helpful and good atmosphere.

very overpriced for standard of accommodation. Breakfast very slow, not enough staff for number of guests waiting to be served.

Parking easy, staff very helpful and good atmosphere.Room very clean.

• Reviewed: January 11, 2018

No, just don't.

Rooms weren't ready despite arriving well after their specified check-in time. Went to the bar while waiting and got served vinegar. I'm not sure how anyone can turn sterilised keg beer into vinegar but they achieved it. Fortunately there are two proper pubs with proper beer in the village. Next morning we weren't allowed to have breakfast in the restaurant, we were dumped at a dirty low table in the bar because the tables in the restaurant were being used by non-residents or had been set aside for lunch for non-residents. Fortunately there is a Shell station just down the road that sells food. This place is nothing like the bookingdotcom description, hotel residents are second class compared to outside trade. Just treat it as a room for the night, a bit like a poor Holiday Inn, but four times the price.

Nothing really, we had no choice due to Xmas and having to see relatives in the village and anywhere decent being already booked. So we were forced to pay an outrageous price to be treated like.....

• Reviewed: January 10, 2018

Very convenient and cosy hotel.

The latch catch on the bathroom door in room 4, both of us bruised our arms on using the bathroom. Being charged £150 rather than £120 as advertised as the price of the room the day of our departure!

Near to wedding venue we attended on 6/1/2018

• Reviewed: January 2, 2018

Eventful for all the wrong reasons
    • Deluxe Double Room

Camp bed provided in original room that collapsed for adult expected proper bed relocated but still had camp bed that was uncomfortable staff sorted problem quickly and provided better bed and mattress which should have been provided in first place in alternative room adult bed collapsed whilst getting into it New Year’s Eve at 2am slept opposite end of bed for the night reported to stafff when we left property

Staff excellent and helpful evening meal very good

• Reviewed: January 1, 2018

Well remodeled country inn offers cozy, up-market accommodation

Breakfast service was slow one day when there was a large group of outside guests (local falconers, I believe). A better selection of single malts or cognacs would have gone down well after dinner. Rooms at the front are very close to the busy road and are therefore much noisier - ask for one at the back.

A great recently-remodeled country inn that retains many historic elements. We booked 3 rooms - one was at the front and two were in the back of the main building - all were clean, warm and inviting. We really appreciated the hypoallergenic bedding. Temperatures in the bedrooms and bathrooms were easy to control. Breakfasts, lunches and dinners were tasty and well prepared, served up by a friendly and helpful staff. Dad (me) and daughter had a fun final evening at the bar with Callum and Jack as they honed their skills by pouring layered shots for us - an unexpected end to a quiet stay in Stock. Ask for a B-52 or Alien Brain Hemorrhage if you visit!

• Reviewed: December 28, 2017

One of the best small hotels. thoroughly recommended.

Knives that slide into your breakfast when you park them on the edge of your plate - a common problem in hotels and restaurants.

Quality of the refurbishment of this 500 yr old coaching house is excellent and it has lost none of its character except its original name - The Cock. Bedding in fine linen, step-less shower big enough to move about in with easy to use shower controls. Good bedroom furniture - a sympathetic combination of old and new. Excellent breakfasts and fine coffees available from the barista manageress. Level bedroom flooring despite being a wood-frame building. Easy access, any time day or night with easy parking.

• Reviewed: December 18, 2017

Very poor need to pay more attention to the customer.

Very bad that our room was so cold for such a cold day. Breakfast was appalling very oily and worse by bubble and sqeek I have ever tasted. Lovely fire in breakfast room which was not even alight so freezing cold again.

Not a lot very cold and unwelcoming.

• Reviewed: December 15, 2017

It was an ok experience.

The first room was cold and had a leak in the bathroom, we were moved to another room which was much better although we had no refreshments as they had not been replenished and the cups were dirty so need to ask about this also. Because we were moved into the main building we were not informed of the procedure of how to get into the hotel late at night it took us over an hour to figure this out on a very cold night and we ended up calling a taxi and we were on the verge of going to another hotel, we eventually managed to get in with the help of the taxi driver but had to pay for the use of the taxi which was not ideal. When we told reception in the morning they were apologetic and said they forgot to tell us. Some staff were very helpful others lacked a little knowledge with regards to the payment as we explained to them the money would automatically be taken off at the time of booking they insisted on tell us that we needed to pay even though we called earlier in the day to check. This was a little frustrating.

Ideal for what we needed it for.

• Reviewed: November 20, 2017

The best restaurant

Just to not have more days to spend there! I wish I could be there for a few more days!

We loved everything! The hotel is very cozy, clean and comfortable, the staff very friendly! But the restaurant, OMG, it’s the best!!!! I think it was one of the best dinner I have ever had in my entire life!!!!

• Reviewed: November 19, 2017

Breakfast in the morning was excellent, staff were also very...

The only thing, was when we arrived in our room it was really cold! The radiator was on in the bathroom so that was lovely and warm but the actual room was really cold. Other than that, no complaints at all.

Breakfast in the morning was excellent, staff were also very friendly and welcoming. Room was very clean and had a fabulous shower! Have recommended my friends to stay here in December for when we go for our Christmas party!

• Reviewed: November 9, 2017

Very pleasant

Breakfast was a bit of a shambles, had to wait for about 40mins although I do appreciate it was cooked more or less to order, I had poached egg with my full breakfast but can only assume lots were being done together as all I got was egg white with no yolk,I didn’t mention it as my husband was already fed up with waiting so long, however the rest of the breakfast was lovely

Decor especially in rooms very good

• Reviewed: October 30, 2017

Staff very friendly, room, very comfortable, clean and cosy.
    • Deluxe Double Room

Staff very friendly, room, very comfortable, clean and cosy. Easy to park and hotel was in a great location. Afraid didn't get up for the breakfast which looked very nice as we slept in.

• Reviewed: October 25, 2017

Lovely hotel but
    • Deluxe Family Room

we had an issue with regards to the room key being handed in at the end of the stay by a relative staying in another room and it being misplaced by the hotel - they are not small so you would know if you still had it in your bag etc and the attitude of the staff towards not only our relative but also towards us when we booked out was unnecessary, i understand they wanted us to check which we did but they were quite rude to us, and in a further phone call to us later the attitude was very much that we had the key with us , when two of our party witnessed the key being handed over to the reception. having spent quite a lot of money between us all on several rooms to attend a weddding and at the bar etc during our stay it was unnecessary to take that approach.

the room was lovely and the breakfast really nice.

• Reviewed: October 20, 2017

Loved my stay at Harvard Inn ... I used for business but would recommend for leisure travellers too
    • Deluxe Family Room

The front desk at the hotel is really quite high - (the only thing I could think of!)

Really friendly staff, excellent food and relaxed atmosphere for single female guest. Rooms, especially bathrooms were fabulous. Highly recommend

• Reviewed: October 17, 2017

Wonderful will be going again

Everything is lovely x we have been here before the standard of the rooms are fantastic and the lady who runs it is very friendly and makes you feel welcome

• Reviewed: October 15, 2017

Could not have been better

The hotel was in a prime position for the wedding we attended. All the staff had a great attitude to their work, right down to cleaners. I was very impressed, will definitely be booking again with friends.

• Reviewed: October 2, 2017

The room and bathroom were clean and tidy and well...
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Unfortunately when we went for breakfast there was only 1 person serving, there was food dropped on the floor around our table, we were given a pot of tea without a lid!!!! She did apologise. The bacon was burnt, we were brought some more after we complained.

The room and bathroom were clean and tidy and well maintained. It was quiet so we had a good night's sleep.

• Reviewed: September 26, 2017

Perfect!

The hotel room was directly at a street with much traffic. It was quite loud at times, but since we only stayed one night, it was okay :) But it was quite hard to cross the road by foot :D

Great hotel and very nice service. The room and bath were very beautiful and the Pub downstairs was also very nice. The bed was really comfertable. The breakfast was very nice. We had a vegetarien full english breakfast.

• Reviewed: September 20, 2017

Perfect

The local cab company swift the car was filfy dirty it looked like a horse had been in the car i had also pre ordered the cab to collect us from the wedding and they did not show up even after i called them twice. But the hotel was exceptional

Beautifully decorated rooms friendly staff great breakfast and was only round the corner to the wedding we went to at crondon park

• Reviewed: September 14, 2017

.....AMEX!!!!!!
    • Deluxe Family Room

It was a joke and absolutely makes me rage that I booked my room with AmEx and this was the reason I chose this place..got there and they did not..... Terrible..

Owner and facility excellent

• Reviewed: August 9, 2017

Very comfortable bed.

Choose a 'stable room' away from main road or at least not one right at front. Constant traffic noise and lorries coming around corner seemed almost to be touching the window in our room, which was right on the road. They would have moved us, but fully booked. Good food.

Very comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: August 2, 2017

Nice place, no complaints.

Automatic lighting in corridor up to room didn't always work. Needed soap in bathroom for washing hands (only small bottle of shower gel provided) Not enough toilet roll No hairdryer

Recently refurbished and lovely décor. Room and shower room clean. Plenty of storage for clothes. Lots of parking.

• Reviewed: August 2, 2017

Pleasant but totally over priced
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Very poor value. If paying these types of prices do expect facilities such as robes, new toilet rolls, WiFi in room that Works, hangers of quality not other guests' cast offs and if specified as a double not two beds pushed together Absolutely no info in the room (not even breakfast timings) Included continental breakfast exceedingly limited (although paid for full breakfast V good ) Just seems that despite the prices, everything is fine to save a few pence where ever possible No dedicated reception staff which can make that and bar service a challenge

LocAction excellent Very clean

• Reviewed: July 27, 2017

Lovely hotel with excellent staff.

Mirrors positioned in odd places to get ready and not high enough. Also lighting was quite poor in the bedrooms.

Travelled with family for a wedding. The staff were excellent and facilitated an early check in. They were friendly and helpful. We booked two rooms with 2 adults staying in each room. Overall the rooms were comfortable, however I do think the mirrors were not very well positioned and the lighting was quite poor. It was quite difficult to get ready and apply makeup due to this, but this was only a small thing and did not in any way spoil our stay. Excellent location for nearby crondon Park where the wedding was held.

• Reviewed: July 9, 2017

Lovely village hotel

All good!

A wonderful place to stay. We were on our way to Tilbury to pick up a cruise and it made a great stopping off point as only 26 miles from Tilbury. We had a warm welcome on arrival and a lovely meal in the onsite resteraunt in the evening. We would certainly stay there again. Highly recommended.

• Reviewed: July 8, 2017

Nice village with a choice of pubs but go elsewhere for better value accommodation
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Bed was dreadful which was actually 2 singles joined together, every time you moved you could feel and hear "ping" of the springs and the 2 head boards moved and banged against the wall. Thankfully it was a cooler night as it was on the ground floor, would not have been happy to have slept with the window open, although a fan was provided. For me personally breakfast was a little basic. I had the eggs Benedict which was nice but would have liked something else to supplement it some fruit for example or toast. Left feeling still hungry! At £140 a night it was not cheap accommodation and for that price you do expect a certain standard. Have experienced far better value for money in B & Bs for £50 cheaper. Tea tray again was really basic not even any biscuits. How stingy. As a gesture of goodwill a small discount could have been offered for the uncomfortable bed, but this was not forthcoming. Realise that pretty village of Stock will command a premium price, but this accommodation did not live up to our expectations or compare favourably with other establishments we have stayed at. Will not be returning

Cleanliness of room and decor. Quiet location at the back although window was kept shut as room faced the car park. Charming old pub.

• Reviewed: July 1, 2017

A lovely friendly place

No hand soap in the bathroom of our room

The restaraunt food and breakfast in the morning were superb. A great place just to stop for a drink in the bar with a great choice of beers and wines. The rooms are spacious , comfortable and above all clean, something that I normally find leaves something to be desired in many other places we stay at. The staff were really friendly and helpful at all times and made our stay a pleasure.

• Reviewed: June 29, 2017

As a regular business traveller, this place is a fantastic, homely feel with great facilities
    • Duplex Twin Studio

No air con in The Tack Room would make it uncomfortable during the day as there is only one upstairs window, even with a fan on it's very warm at time of writing (June '17) As a coffee drinker the selection of Nescafe instant in the room felt a little cheap, compared with the offer for the tea drinkers! Both are very minor considering the space, the overall presentation and pleasant environment.

Stayed in The Tack Room, considering the surrounding location and size of space you have, this is amazing value for money, a great place to stay if you want more than just a single room stay. Very easy to take by cycle with me, just jump on and you're in great countryside in minutes, quiet roads and good surfaces.

• Reviewed: June 7, 2017

A comfortable retreat in the heart of Stock...

I can't fault anything!

The room was excellent. Quiet, clean and rustic. The staff were friendly and attentive and the breakfast was absolutely delicious! It really is one of the best hotels I've stayed at. Attended a wedding at Crondon Park which was literally only a minute down the road. Perfect location with a convenience store directly opposite. In short, I would stay again if I were visiting the area.

• Reviewed: June 6, 2017

Great find!

A great little find with plenty of character. Room was lovely, bed was comfortable, really clean and felt relaxed as soon as I got there. My evening meal was really tasty.

• Reviewed: May 31, 2017

Overnight stop but won't rush back

Room was small, located in a stable in the car park so you could not open a window overnight 30+deg Bathroom as pleasant but with very little room for the toilet between the sink and wall = no room to sit down, the shower was good but having to remove hair and grott from the drain cover so the water could get away was not so good.

Staff were pleasant, breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: May 30, 2017

Happy at The Harvard Inn...

The hotel is very modern & contemporary. The rooms are spacious & well equipped. Jenny King whom greeted us & looked after us throughout was fantastic. The food was great too as enjoyed some lunch whilst there & the tasty breakfast!

• Reviewed: May 21, 2017

Superb friendly hotel

That we couldn't stay longer!

Beautiful room. Very comfy large bed. Large clean bathroom, excellent shower. Staff EXTREEMLY helpful, attentive and friendly. Breakfast first class.

• Reviewed: May 15, 2017

All in all a very pleasant stay.
    • Duplex Twin Studio

As the room we were allocated had a small kitchen, we were surprised that there were no glasses provided.

The bed was comfy, also the food was good. (breakfast)

• Reviewed: May 8, 2017

Perfect hotel

I didn't know how to turn the bathroom heated floor back on in the morning.

Everything was extremely clean and of high quality materials.gorgeous room. Absolutely 5 star quality.

• Reviewed: April 19, 2017

Can't wait to return!

Not much really. Maybe just the inclusion of a couple of traveler conveniences such as a hair dryer or iron may offer improvement.

The atmosphere was lovely. The bed exceptionally comfortable.

• Reviewed: April 18, 2017

Very comfortable - we will return.
    • Deluxe Double Room

The rooms are a good size and beds are very comfortable. The breakfast room was lovely and so was the full English breakfast that is included in the room rate.

• Reviewed: March 21, 2017

Wedding break for Crondon Golf venue.

We had a wedding breakfast so I know there were a lot to cater for but our breakfast was over 50 minutes before we got it I think some confusion with the order but when it came up it was worth the wait

The bed was really comfortable & the bathroom was really nice.

• Reviewed: March 17, 2017

Lovely Historic 15th Century Hotel

Due to our late arrival which was caused by a road accident we Had to let ourselves in with a key code . No staff around to help us . Place was empty & no one around . Nothing open in the village , no shops , no where to buy any food so we had to get back on the road to Billericay to get a take away .

Tudor style building

• Reviewed: March 15, 2017

This is a recently refurbished genuine tudor inn dating back...
    • Deluxe Double Room

This is a recently refurbished genuine tudor inn dating back to henry the 8th. The quality of the refurbishment is outstanding. Quality bed rooms with modern bathrooms. Food ranges from traditional to alacarte. And they have Black sheep bitter among others. The staff are very friendly and attentive. I will stay again with my wife next time.

• Reviewed: March 13, 2017

Wonderful
    • Deluxe Double Room

Loved that everything was clearly newly refurbished and spotless. Clearly, the owners have spent a lot on making the rooms and general areas superb. Breakfast was fantastic and we were in a good location for a family wedding. It's very easy to find the pub and there was ample parking.

• Reviewed: February 23, 2017

Nice stay

breakfast was later that I'd prefer. Before 7. It really only got going towards 7.45 for hot food. TV system not the best combined with poor wifi

Shower good. Bed comfy. Modern and robust furnishings

• Reviewed: February 6, 2017

Lovely overnight stay with a beautiful room.

Unfortunately there was no heating in our room as there was a problem with the pump for the system. We were provided with portable oil filled radiator. But then there was no hot water available in the morning for a shower.

Beautiful room, and bed very comfortable. Staff were really nice and friendly especially Steve the barman.

• Reviewed: January 10, 2017

Evening food, wine, atmosphere wonderful

Breakfast from 8am and my partner needed to leave for work at 7.45. No biscuits in room No hair drier in room

Evening food, wine, atmosphere wonderful

• Reviewed: January 9, 2017

Classy Gastropub

Would have liked a room safe for valuables. Our room was over the kitchen and we could hear food being prepared but once the food had finished the room was very quiet as it faced the car park and not the road

The room was spacious with a fabulous shower. The bed was extremely comfortable and there were tea and coffee making facilities. Instant Wifi with no fiddling around getting a password. The food in the restaurant was very good and the staff very helpful