Reviews of The Kenilworth

44 Osborne Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 2AL, United Kingdom

#59 of 76 hotels in Newcastle upon Tyne

Leaving the hotel
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

Worst hotel I've stopped there was a stain on bed sheets stains allover the carpets the bedside table was sticky the room was dusty and boiling no ventilation the Windows only opens so fair I hated it not fit for use they say you get free breakfast no thanks didn't want to risk it if you want to slum it then this is the hotel for you

Leaving the hotel

Hotel decor could be improved on and DIY maintenance required in rooms.
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

Door handle coming off toilet door inside. Hole in plaster of bedroom. Some electrical sockets not working.

Beds were very comfy. Shower was excellent.

Great staff, on the whole good place for a base if your...
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

Great staff, on the whole good place for a base if your after luxury this is not the place for you but is clean and has things you need for a short stay and bar down stairs.

Short stay in Newcastle
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

Great location and short walk in to city centre. Parking at rear of hotel which was bonus and also was free. Lovely bar area in hotel and extremely friendly staff especially the owner who was extremely helpful and chatty! Breakfast was included in price and was good. Area was quiet and short walk from lovely park area called Jesmond Dene which was worth a look!

Perfect for a short stay.

Staff was friendly. Location great. I liked that it was pet-friendly and included parking and breakfast. Room small/tidy. Perfect for a short stay.

Not great

It had a strange smell and the beds were very uncomfortable. It could’ve done with a paint and a good clean, as just all looked a bit grotty. Didn’t look anything like the pictures!

The price that we paid was okay for what was provided. Free parking and free continental breakfast.

Convenient and welcoming city centre hotel.

Car park and rear entrance scruffy giving poor first impression.

Kind helpful staff. Comfortable and clean room. Excellent central location with plenty of places to eat nearby. Easy to find. Dog friendly. The staff gave us drinks when we advised that we would not need breakfast on one morning as we had a very early start. A pleasant place to stay in the city.

this would be a nice little hotel if it was in better Nick needs a refurb in all areas

really run down needs a face lift in all the rooms and bar area couldn't get a juice or any thing in afternoon as bar was closed don't like the fact that you have to go round the back if your back late 11.30 to get in to hotel it's down an alley way not good if you are on your own

staff were good but run off there feet trying to do things

Compact, clean & contemporary. Very good value.

The only thing was large linen bags of clean bedding, which clutter up the corridor a little bit, but it was not really an issue for us. Anyone with mobility issues would not find this hotel easy as it has narrow staircases & I wasn't aware of a lift.

Room was compact, clean & the decor contemporary. En suite shower room very nicely decorated & well maintained. The breakfast in the dining area of the bar downstairs was very good, with cereals/fruit/yoghurts & juice as well as cooked items, like bacon sandwich. The scrambled egg perfect.

Overall it was good
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

Having to go up to the very top of the building with a 2year old and 4month old and all their belongings ie steriliser and pram and no lift. Was also told the breakfast was 8-10:30 then after arriving down for food at 8:20 and carrying the kids down it wasn’t open.

The breakfast was nice and the woman working at breakfast was very friendly with my daughter.

Passionate owner lioking after his guests

Ok not 5 star luxyry but what could you not like at that price for B&B and parking

Owner extremely heloful. Great value B&B and parking Nice bar area Enjoyable chat with Ben

Reasonable price and but next time I will stick to corporate hotels to ensure I get what I ask for
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

we arrived to be told that the booking only had 2 adults and the man said we needed to really check the booking and select the correct box as it is a common mistake. He then said our kids could eat from the continental section free of charge. The frustrating thing is that my confirmation stipulated 2 adults AND 2 children. This to me meant that their breakfast was included as I paid for it. This had a knock on effect as our room was not child friendly. We were in the attic space and the windows were far too easily accessed for my 4 year old to climb out of. I understand that as a parent I need to keep an eye on them but all it would take was to go to the bathroom and an accident could happen. The staff were friendly and the price was reasonable. I guess I just didn’t appreciate being incinuated to that I have made an incorrect booking and then felt like a ‘favour’ was given to me about breakfast when I was right all along.

Staff were pleasant

Our double bed was 2 single bottoms and a double mattress on...
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

Our double bed was 2 single bottoms and a double mattress on top. Room was big. Shower wasnt very powerful. Place smells damp on entering main door but this doesn't extend further than this small area. Main man who checked us in was lovely and friendly and welcoming and helpful. The woman who served us breakfast looked tired and like she couldn't be bothered to be there. Food was nice and was goos to have it included in the price. Wasn't as close to metro arena as i was expecting- aaroute planner said a mile or so but it was definitely a lot more. Hairdryer in room, mirrors, good light airy room. Perfect and would go back. Think price a bit steep considering the state of the decor. Think 70-80 with brekkie would be more appropriate.

Staff in the morning for breakfast where rude , was...

Staff in the morning for breakfast where rude , was traveling with 11 others and we where all told we could have breakfast on our booking and also the day before when we checked in and then when the morning came , the woman wouldnt serve us , when we explained the owner had said the day before we could all have it , she called him and he said we were all lieing! Wont be going back to this hotel

Excellent value and great location

The only thing that want up to standard was the shower - definitely in need of a refurb. However it wouldn’t put me off staying again, if I got the same room I’d just have a bath instead!

Perfect location for exploring newcastle and great value for money. Breakfast was excellent (choice of cooked options) and staff were all very friendly. Also the free parking was a bonus as Jesmond is notorious for parking!!

Amazing

Very friendly, comfortable stay. Owners Bernie, Sarah and staff were great nothing to much trouble. Breakfast was brilliant. Great location lovely bars and restaurants on the same road. Would definitely stay here again.

Great staff, awful room.

The lighting in the room and bathroom was terrible. The noise from the corridor/stairs outside the room was disgraceful. I don't think that the room was sound proofed at all, heard every word anyone said in the corridor. As well as this, every time any door was closed the room shook. Not great. The staff and bar really pulled up the rating of this hotel.

The staff were lovely and really accommodating. Although there was not much choice, the included breakfast was delicious! The bar downstairs was a great bonus as well.

The beds were uncomfortable, the breakfast was very basic,...
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

The beds were uncomfortable, the breakfast was very basic, the room was very small, the shower was a trickle and luke warm. Quite disappointing I'm afraid - quite different from what we viewed on the website.

Ok
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

Very poor nights sleep on second night a dog was staying in room above and yapped all night n kids couldn’t sleep Room was a bit cold even though heating was on.

Staff were friendly

The staff were so lovely and accommodating and the...
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

The staff were so lovely and accommodating and the atmosphere of the hotel was so peaceful and serene! We were so comfortable and enjoyed every second of our stay!

Fine if you are on a stag or hen do! Not suitable for families.
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

There was an old piece of bacon behind the single bed which my son picked up :-( there was dust all over my clothes that came off the top shelf on the cupboard. Noise from the bar was very loud!

The staff were friendly.

Not what I was expecting
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

The fact I booked a family room .. and got put in the attic with two single beds one which was in the floor. The pictures on the booking.com were not what the rooms looked like

Will avoid in future

Carpets threadbare and stained, broken glass in skylight, not made clear only continental breakfast included, anything else was extra. No professional meet and greet, hadn’t read special request, my husband has cancer and I pointed out couldn’t walk far, we were on 4th floor in attic described as penthouse. Ceiling was so low we had to sleep in seperate beds . Brand new shower was spotless- because it didn’t work and didn’t realise until following morning . Frayed carpets in bedroom, split in chair seam, smelt of curry and disinfectant.

It was near where we wanted to visit .

Uncomfortable, completely shattered the next day

Saggy mattress, two single beds zipped together and one was broken/squeaky when moving. Bedding stained didn’t feel comfortable sleeping there at all. If I had not already paid for the room I would have gone else where.

Staff very attentive

Great stay would defiantly go back

Couldn't ask for more for the little price you pay to stay there :) Staff was very friendly and helpful, standard double room, nice breakfast and very close to city centre.

Excellent service.
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

The hotel is in the process of renovation and our room is ready for it, looking very tired.

Excellent service. Warm and friendly owners. Breakfast very good. All round good value for money.

Short stay with family
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

There were multiple drunk students outside, in the evening. It made walking the dog quite difficult.

The staff was really nice. Room was clean and breakfast was tasty. Really good value for money. Also, dog and family friendly.

A lovely and last minute slice of luxury and comfort in our road trip.

The room was a little cold and had one old heater the other side of the room and for that price I slightly expected a hair dryer in the room but that’s just preference!

The beds were very comfortable as the pillows are so lovely and plump and the breakfast buffet was amazing! The service at breakfast was brilliant especially as it was just my boyfriend and I who were at breakfast in that time, very accommodating and lovely. The breakfast area has a lovely cottage feel to it which is difficult in a big city but worked well!

Disappointing.

The hotel had a weird smell as you walk in and the rooms were small and require a refurb. Holes in the wall, dirty shower, door handle missing and the windows were grubby.

The location was good

• Family Room (3 Adults)

The door to the room didn't stay completely closed. The windows rattled and were very draughty. The bedding had stains all over. The bathroom door handle was held in with one screw. There were holes in the walls. The radiator side wasn't attached. Breakfast was very basic.

The gentleman that greeted us was very friendly and helpful

AVOID...if you're after a clean hotel for a similar price, look elsewhere.
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

• Room advertised as a large room but this was incorrect. • Carpet not hoovered, ripped, burns, trip hazards. Reluctant to take socks and shoes off! • Windows noisey & windy...lots of condensation! • Clothes storage - wall unit not attached to wall...fell over when hanging up an outside coat with the weight! No drawer space which meant my family were living out of suitcases. • Beds - Asking for a family room meant an additional bed in the room, this was placed in front of the toilet/shower room door restricting access, and everytime the door was opened it hit the bed (much to my son's frustration). • Management requested I paid and additional £60 cancellation fee (which is not advertised on the webpage), but claimed the booking agent (BOOKING.COM) insisted this to be the case. I phoned booking.com to cancel the booking and they informed me this additional charge was down to the hotel. The patronising manager repeatedly informed me it was all down to the booking agent!!

Good breakfast despite no sausages. Friendly staff.

Lovely stay..

Room door was loud to close but not a massive issue as lovely place..

Very nice stay, staff friendly,bed was comfortable could of been abit bigger like

Staff very accommodating and quick service, parking onsite was spot on no issues

I think the rooms are tired, fixtures and fitting need updating, chair in room falling to pieces, hair dryer didn’t work, decor a little upsidaisy, in general, tired and would recommend a lease of life and modernising

I liked the location although a little further than I expected from the Center but in a nice location none the less, easy to find!

I would not recommend this hotel, it was awful
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

The room was filthy, stained and mould ridden. The beds were uncomfortable and the acoustics in the room meant that we heard every single noise within the hotel - it was one of the worse nights sleep I've ever had. The guests in the room above us were loud and had a physical fight at 4am, we thought they might come through the ceiling they were banging so hard. The staff were unhelpful when dealing with our complaints and offered no help or alternatives.

Very friendly welcome.
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

Very friendly welcome. Room small but comfortable and clean. Enough space for an overnight. We were 3 adults and 2 dogs! Little choice for Breakfast but it was nicely cooked and sufficient. Very good value.

It ticked our box at the right time.
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

The tv in the room was inoperable requiring a remote to be found and all the cables to be sorted. The single pane glass in the windows needs replacing. As it was a bank holiday in the depth of winter there was little outside noise or light but would be a different story in high summer.

It was a good location with free parking. A good breakfast was to be had also. The staff we encountered we quite helpful. For the price we paid it was good value.

A bit disappointed

This property is in need of modernisation

This property is advertising full English breakfast but when we asked we were told that it’s only what’s on the card (scrambled egg toast snack food) not good

Jesmond is a great location but not this hotel
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

very dated, bathroom door hitting bed, headboards loose, extra bed a pull-out (fine for children but not adults), shower not working (which they knew about as it turns out), strict check out time (11am)

Value for money !
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

Stayed for 5 days and it was wonderful ! The staff were very helpful and the room was cosy ! Would recommend this to travellers as the it’s a 5 minute walked to the closest metro station and convienience stores are pretty nearby within the perimeter ! Also, English breakfast were a joy to start of the day !

Free parking, free WiFi and free breakfast included.
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

Free parking, free WiFi and free breakfast included. Close to city centre. Parking Issue occurred but staff were very helpful, kept in touch from start to finish and sorted it all out promptly.

Kenilworth hotel(ahaha spare room in a run down house)
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

Very poor quality. Closed on sundays no reception no staff available at various times. Rooms terrible. No hot water at times. Mattress on floor for the 3rd person in our room. No kitchen for breakfasts etc

The one free round of drink.

Not the best value for money, but if they sorted a couple of issues would be a great place to stay

Single pane old style wood windows meant it was freezing in the room. Also being next to a night club/late opening bar meant not being able to get to sleep until midnight. Not the staff's fault but there being a stag do there being noisy in the corridors at 4 am didn't help.

Staff were friendly and the room although small was very nicely decorated.

Just what we needed for our one night stopover.
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

Location excellent and parking is available at the rear of the property. Good value for money just be aware that this is student territory. On the plus side there are lots of interesting places to eat.

Hotel not as described.

It doesn't look anything like the photos and it's pretty run down. Also the family room that we were allocated is on the top floor that appears to have been the attic. As you reach the top floor the stairs begin to tilt to one side and when standing in the room it felt like the room was on a slope. The windows would often build up condensation. No comment on the breakfast as we decided to eat elsewhere seeing how the difference in the photos was so drastic didn't want to chance it with the food. The noise from the bar next door and other hotels along the street would continue to be loud until around 12:30am during the week as this is when we stayed there. Would imagine it would be very noisy at weekends. Lesson learned....pay more for accomodationand next time.

Enjoyable

As much as we enjoyed our stay, the pictures made the hotel a lot nicer than what it was. Think it could be decorated.

How quite the hotel were, wasn’t rushed or interfered by staff during our stay

It was grim. Don't stay there

The whole place was run down and seedy. Holes in the wall, loose tap, poor bed, lumpy mattress, hairdryer didn't work, peeling paint, threadbare furniture. The proprietor took too much money for the booking.

Even though the communication the hotel had received from...
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

Both nights, people tried to get into our room when we were already in bed. Size of the room was rather small for the cost and for a family of 4.

Even though the communication the hotel had received from Booking.com was not what I had booked (they thought only 2 adults were booked when in fact I had booked 2 adults and 2 children) the hotel were quick to make up an extra bed in the small room.

great value

A more polite night attendant

Good clean and tidy rooms for a good price! The owner and his son are really welcoming and friendly. Couldn't do enough to help and were really polite. The guy who works over night is the most miserable man to walk the planet and speaks to you like dirt!

Room was very standard for the price we paid, not value for...
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

Room was very standard for the price we paid, not value for money at all. The tv screen was tiny and layout of room was odd! Was very very noisy at night, would not recommend or stay again.

It was very musty smelling and where the rooms were was dated and in need of redecorating. The room itself was dated and very drab, the blind in the bathroom was mouldy along with the wall and window.

The exterior was stylish and modern. The bar was quite quirky which to my taste. The staff member that greeted us on check in was lovely and very helpful.

A bit disappointed
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

The room was very dusty, broken furniture, hinges on room door loose so hard to shut it properly, loose handles and locks, holes in the walls poor paint job. Also never offered breakfast and never saw any staff or other visitors in bar area during the stay.

Location, and parking at hotel.

Good value for money
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

Bathroom was foul-smelling upon arrival but, since it dissipated over time, we can only assume that the previous resident was responsible for that and timing, for us, was unfortunate. The shower was not great - water jet was very weak - although everything else about the bathroom was perfect. The location was fine for us but be warned that it is a good 20-25 min walk into the centre. Waitrose, some cafes, bars and restaurants are nearby, within 2-5 mins of Kenilworth. I get the feeling that Jesmond is one of the more expensive, posher parts of Newcastle.

The room was perfect for what we needed it for - a night out in Newcastle. I rang ahead in the morning and they had not received our booking but this was down to slow Booking.com processes, not the fault of Kenilworth. Staff were very helpful on the phone and then upon arrival, furnishing us with maps and clear instructions on where to go for refreshment and partying. Nice selection of alcoholic beverages in the bar on the ground floor and everything about the place was friendly and comfortable.

Not really suitable for families.
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

The room was very basic; the bathroom smelt musty as if it hadn't been used in a while; there were no spoons provided for the tea and coffee making facility; we were on the top floor and during the early hours of the morning other residents in the room either side of us returned from an evening out, making lots of noise and even rapping on the door to our room several times. I had to get up at 3.30am and ask them to have a bit more consideration as I had a child in my room.

The beds were comfortable, towels were clean and there were sufficient sachets of tea, coffee etc.

Fabulous

Great value for money hotel...parking on site and clean room.stafff really lovely and breakfast delicious..if You are after a cheap hotel in Newcastle then this is ideal..great selection of pubs and restaurants nearby. Will definitely return

The staff were very friendly and helpful about the area.

The bathroom door and trim were not clean. The carpets had stains on them and the bedspreads were also stained. The room location was over the front entrance to the bar and fortunately the bar was not busy. But the neighboring bar was. Young students from the area were partying until midnite. Very difficult to sleep.

The staff were very friendly and helpful about the area.

Enjoyed exploring Newcastle with our dog in tow!

The room served it's purpose, but definitely needed a bit of maintenance. And a new mattress! There was quite a bit of noise from the street in front, probably not helped by freshers week.

The location was ideal for access to Newcastle city centre and had a great variety of restaurants and pubs nearby.

had a very enjoyable stay

All good,

We had a large refurbished, clean room and received good customer service throughout. I was told all the rooms have been refurbished to the same standard so I would say for this hotel, value for money is excellent The bar was a great venue for a drink before venturing out. The public areas of the hotel were very well presented. The manager was very pleasant and couldn’t enough for us.

• Family Room (3 Adults)

The Hotel has seen better days, the room was rather small (for 3 Adults) and the cleanliness was not that great (the coffee mugs for example were still dirty from the previous resident(s) There were some extremely noisy guests who kept us awake most of our first night, so much so we did not stay for the second night we had booked.

Car Parking was a big help

Lovely
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

Lovely man on reception. Good size rooms and nicely decorated and very clean. Slept like a baby after long journey. Bonus they have got free parking and the hotel been located near where we needed to go.

Small, last resort, wouldn't go back
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

The fact they took my money twice and were completely useless in helping me solve the issue I had. Didn't even contact me back when I asked them too.

Not much.

Comfortable, easy to park and access to all needs nearby

Been before and not disappointed this time either,

Very friendly. Though area can be quite lively our room was quiet and slept well. Guaranteed parking which is real bonus. Looks of good places to eat nearby.

Basic
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

Dirty bed sheets, door didnt lock properly. Staff miserable and didnt know what they were doing. Could of done with a hoover.

Easy to park, spacious rooms.

Terrible

In the attic which was a terrible treck, bed listed about 6" to one side, shower was just a trickle, there was no and I mean no hot water to wash, and charged for full English breakfast to be told the next morning it was only contantel breakfast.

No great
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

The bar and restaurant never open .. didn't like the fact we had to use the rear door which isn't lit well . The main entrance is meant to be open until 11pm week days and 12am fri/ sat although never was... Your room only has 1 toilet roll, 1 sachet of coffee per person.. no staff I wouldn't recommend this place

Clean sheets , the staff friendly

NEVER AGAIN!!!!
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

My room was downgraded without any notification or refund. The room was shabby, slanting to the right. The beds were awful and mattresses were dirty. Lighting was broken in entrance area to room, above tea and coffee desk and above beds. Shower facilities very small with fittings coming away from the wall. Insufficient towels for number of guests. Very disappointed.

Just the location

Great welcome again. We will be back.

The owner and staff go out of their way to provide excellent service and they are fantastic. The location in Jesmond is great and it's possible to walk easily to the city centre in about 20 minutes. On-site parking is a bonus.

Good for an overnight stay

Water damage at the ceiling, bright curtain

Friendly staff, breakfast ok, unfortunately under construction (frontage) but really good for an overnight-stay

Won't b staying again in a hurry

It looked nothing like it did on the website, they weren't serving food that night which was disappointing. We arrived about 3pm and couldn't even get a juice from the bar as there was no float!!! There's also a funny smell like a mocky dirty carpet smell throughout the place.

The breakfast was nice. Freshly cooked.

Staff are a credit to the place
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

Old building, everything creaked and thin walls, I'm a heavy sleeper so didn't bother me but rest in my room had a very broken sleep, wasn't ideal

Free parking was great and staff were fantastic and very helpful

Just awful!

Arrived to see hotel surrounded by scaffold. Not given info that building work was going on. More later. Myself and other new guests couldn't get access to hotel to book in despite constantly ringing bell. Had to phone in the end. Female member of staff finally appeared but didn't know how to book us in properly. The staircase leading to rooms was shabby and had a strange smell. Only a Yale lock on my room poorly fitted so much so you could push it open. Room looked tired as did beds. Bathroom shabby, broken toilet seat, shower tray looked dirty, with mould. Kettle in room unusable as element was furred. No staff around to complain. I was on a tight timescale so had to leave immediately and got back late having to walk down a dimly lit entry to gain access at rear. No staff on duty. Then to top it all workman started banging on the outside at 6-45am waking me and other guests. Unacceptable. Again no management around when I left to complain to. One of the worse places I have ever stayed. Amazed this place is allowed on Booking.com .

Location wasn't too bad.

Great location to local bars and an easy stroll into...

Great location to local bars and an easy stroll into Newcastle city centre. The Hotel managed to turn what was a bad start into an enjoyable stay - well done for that.

Reasonable for a relatively cheap hotel in a good location

The facilities need a bit of attention. There was a broken Lounge chair in the room and only 1 of the 3 side lamps worked.

Good location, nice breakfast

toilets clean and clean bedding
    • Family Room (4 Adults)

shower drip fed hot water, very run down, lights don't work as light bulbs not replaced, run out of toilet paper, breakfast ok just

toilets clean and clean bedding

Grubby hotel, awful room, would not recommend!
    • Family Room (3 Adults)

Grubby hotel - should have walked out immediately! Looked for an alternative but no availability elsewhere! Terrible bed with sagging mattress, stained bedcover, broken Venetian blind, broken shower door, bad state of repair, scaffolding around hotel, next to a derelict building, bedside light didn't work ...

The location was ideal for Jesmond.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

The room was big and airy!

Although the four poster bed looked lovely the mattress was to small for the frame and was hard to get out of because of this and hurt a little Also the mattress was very soft which I know is to the liking to some people but for my partner an I, we found we were aching the next morning because there was no support! Also we kept rolling together in the middle because it was so soft? However, that's not necessarily a bad thing though

The room was big and airy! The four poster bed looked lovely and the decor was clean and light Bath room was very clean and the shower was pretty powerful Easy to get in and out of the hotel and plenty of bars and restaurants nearby as well as shops