Reviews of The Kings Harbour Hotel 3 stars

18 Castle Street, Christchurch, BH23 1DT, United Kingdom

#14 of 18 hotels in Christchurch

Lovely stay.

Nice comfortable room but let down by lack of air con. We were there on a particularly hot weekend in a room at the very top and it was soooo hot. There was a fan but it really didn’t help. I’m sure I’m normal English weather it wouldn’t be a problem, but as you got out of the lift on the top floor the heat just hit you. Other than that no complaints and would return

Lovely hotel and location. Polite staff.

We enjoyed our stay and would go back again

Loft room under normal circumstances would be ok, but with this hot weather unbearable

Food furniture room fine for our two night stay.

Fantastic location, lovely hotel

We had a room on the top floor, which was rather hot so could have done with a fan / air con.

All of the staff at the hotel were extremely friendly, and the check in process was easy and efficient. Our room on the top floor was very large and quiet. Breakfast was great, as were the cocktails!

Nice stay for 1 night, but should have had a bigger room

Room was a very small attic room with a sloping ceiling. I banged my head on it, cut my head and left a bloodstain! However, can't really complain, as it was the cheapest room, and only for 1 night

Would definitely love to go back. It was all so easy and relaxed. All hassle free. Many thanks.
    • Superior Twin Room

Sunday lunch beef was not great. A fridge in my room would have been amazing.

All staff were amazing, attentive, respectful and polite. Nothing was too much trouble. They all worked very, very hard with a real eye for detail. Could not fault them.

Location of hotel, king room spacious however lack of sleep...

Inconsistent service & food; in addition believe there is a rodent issue in floor boards of attic room as mentioned by our party.

Location of hotel, king room spacious however lack of sleep due to road noise if you are a light sleeper like myself.

Great location poor hotel

The pictures are misleading as the green shown is the other side of the road. The staff were OK but lacked professionalism other than the waitress that was in attendance when we had dinner, she was Eastern European. My dinner of the veal and macaroni cheese was bland I could have done better with my eyes closed! Breakfast was OK bacon a bit overcooked and poor quality sausage. The hotel is not called as advertised The Kings Harbour just the Kings Head the group it belongs to is the Harbour Group that made it a bit difficult to find.

The location was excellent and the room itself was good the bed was comfortable and it was very quiet.

Location was great close to the town and river.

Room was small for the cost. For this money have usually had a much larger room with same quality. Otherwise very good.

Location was great close to the town and river. Food was excellent.

In the centre of Chistchurch.

No obvious reception on arrival - hotel is more of a bar and restaurant with slightly jaded rooms. Parking difficult but space was made eventually. Online internet portrayal of hotel misleading. Food in restaurant of mixed quality, some poor, some good. Breakfast average.

In the centre of Chistchurch.

Very enjoyable, in a good location for walking around Christchurch. Food good.

Small problem was the height of the bath. As a short person it was a little difficult to get into it. Having stayed at a few Harbour hotels I have to say this was not on par with the décor and furniture of the other hotels.

The hotel gave us an upgrade as we were booked into a Loft room but on arrival were given Queen Room. Food in restaurant was very nice. Bar staff very pleasant. Location good.

Very enjoyable shirt stay and would definitely stay again.

Reception area not up to standard but staff came to the lounge area to check in and out so not a problem.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Good value for money and an excellent location for the town, priory and the harbour.

Perfect boutique hotel - excellent food and staff

the pillows are just a little too soft, and some of the cleaning around the public areas was not as good as normal, an event must have happened the day before and housekeeping not had time to vacume the stairs

The staff are exceptionally friendly, the location is perfect and the food is excellent

Good value, excellent location, relaxed enviromt
    • King Room with Courtyard View

Music from the bar area could be heard from my room directly above

Good hotel in a great location in the centre of the town, staff were freindy and helpfull. rooms were well furnished, clean and modern

Had a fab time

The room was quite hot (it was a hot weekend). The air conditioning did not work too well

We really liked the central location. It has a buzz about it. The staff were very welcoming, the waiter at breakfast should have a particular mention, as he was very welcoming, attentive and wished everyone upon leaving to have an enjoyable day. We believe he had the tone of breakfast just right.

Great location, clean and comfortable.

Loft room had very low ceiling and window to close to next room meaning I could hear them talking almost as if they were in our room!

Great location, clean and comfortable.

Very enjoyable stay
    • King Room with Courtyard View

Baths too deep. Parking needs some work, perhaps marked spaces over the road from the hotel in allocated space. An explanation of the lighting system in the rooms would not go amiss. Description of rooms misleading.

Only used the resturant once but was pleased. Location very good. Staff very helpful and attentive .

Lovely hotel, lovely staff, we would definately stay again.

The only problem we had was the room, it was really small, not particularly clean as there was cobwebs on the ceiling, dead flies on the wall which wasn't pleasant.

The Staff were fantastic nothing was too much trouble especially in the restaurant. We also had a lovely warm welcome when we arrived. The Food in the restaurant was superb.

Beautiful hotel, friendly staff
    • King Room with Courtyard View

I had a concern about some issues, but the hotel staff dealt with them really well.

Hotel was very welcoming, restaurant was excellent and room was very clean

A very pleasant stay in a comfortable, welcoming hotel of above average quality.

The staff, although pleasant, were a little distant and could have been a bit more friendly. Not a major problem though. The sitting area, for such a hotel, is a little small, but this may be a floor space problem.

The hotel is comfortable and welcoming. The bedroom was delightful and large. We were lucky to be able to upgrade online for a small additional cost. The bar is modern and cheerful, and selection excellent. The restaurant is pleasant with a nice atmosphere.

Comfortable and restful

The room was very warm as no a/c. Fans are provided but can be noisy The bar is modern and popular but from 7pm ( on Saturday ) until late the music is very loud. If you want a quiet drink after dinner in the hotel forget it!

Staff very friendly and helpful Excellent breakfast Comfy bed and large bathroom Great location

Great location,tastefullydecorated and friendly but professional staff👌👌👌

There wasn't anything we disliked

My partner and I were more than satisfied with the facilities in the hotel but we were specially happy with the staff and customer service.There was one Incident where we couldn't enter our room.This happened twice again whereby the man on reception apologised for the inconvenience and gave us complimentary drinks I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family

Comfortable and clean with really helpful staff.

Having the wardrobe in the bathroom was interesting and might have been tricky if a couple were sharing the room for a few nights.

A comfortable bed and room followed by a lovely cooked breakfast the next morning that really set me up for the day.

Excellent - a pleasure.

Noise from music in the function room was a problem initially but dealt with swiftly by the staff and turned down. We really appreciated that.

Room decor excellent. Food in the restaurant was outstanding.

We had a lovely stay and would recommend itnto friends and family

we stayed in room 207 which had a connecting door to the next room. The two ladies in this room had loud voices and to lesson he noise we had to have the television on. Perhaps the door could be made soundproofed.

Everything!
    • King Room with Courtyard View

Everything! The staff, the room, the facilities, the food, the location. We were travelling with our 5 month old son and they couldn’t have he trip more enjoyable or easy for us!

Wonderful time in a great setting with a lovely view, great cocktails and dinner.

Nothing ! It was perfect ! Could not fault anything

Staff were phenomenal and genuinely happy in their work and communication with all guests !! Food and rooms were spectacular!

great stay in this very nice hotel, lovely comfortable rooms and great views over the town priory.

The bar was always extremely busy. Ok if you don’t mind standing, it’s a popular spot at weekends, so get there before 5pm happy hour starts to secure a spot. The bath was luxuriously deep but if you want a shower it’s quite a way to step over.

The bed was lovely and comfortable and loved the low level lighting in room to find your way around in the dark. The room has everything you need including good toiletries, ironing board, hairdryer and tea/coffee facilities. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Nice to have water in the room and a great double happy hour in the bar for cocktails.

Lovely and relaxed short stay.

We have stayed here many times over the years. We love it. All rooms are lovely from the cosy loft rooms to the large King Rooms. Management and staff are very welcoming and do everything they can to ensure we have a pleasant and relaxed stay.

Great! One of the best hotels I've stayed in for work in a long time

Nothing springs to mind!

Bed was comfy, room was in great condition and the bar well stocked! Breakfast was superb and the general feel of the place made it a really pleasurable experience.

Luxurious and pampered

My wake up call was missed

When I came down for breakfast on the second day I was much later than first day and the waiter said I was just going to ring and make sure you were ok as you are much later. It made me feel cared about and of value.

A pleasant overnight stop in a lovely town.

Room was certainly small, smaller than expected. Small window didn’t give much light but ok for 1 overnight stay - would not have been good for a longer stay. Shower was very small and I’m not a large person! Breakfast was good although food could have been hotter. My wife didn’t finish her food for that reason. Hotel offered me a chance of an upgrade but I never received an email reply.

Good location, nice staff.

Would come back again.

The Parking was limited at the front of the Hotel

The room was very comfortable, the Bar area and Restaurant were friendly and nicely situated. The Breakfast was first class and we ate Dinner in the Hotel and it was very good. The staff in all areas of the hotel were firsy class.

Enjoyable but could improve.

The level of volume of the music in the bar and reception area was too high, even for someone like me who likes loud music. Everyone was having to shout to make themselves heard. The bedroom (304) I had was a little on the small side and although when booked I was told there would be rafters, I didn't appreciate the size of the room. The ensuite itself was a reasonable size with a powerful shower in a small shower unit. Finally the wi fi on the third floor was intermittent and I need to log on every time I used it. On the ground floor wifi connection much better and no need to continually log on. More an irritant to someone there for leisure reasons but if on business would be quite annoying. I mentioned this on checking out and the member of staff said she would get it looked into. Finally unusually for me I checked the items on my bill and found I had been charged for food I hadn't had. Again the staff member sorted this out but worth checking.

The food both at breakfast and the one dinner I had was of excellent quality. Service in the evening particularly good. In the morning a smile may have helped. The bed was very comfortable and good quality linen and towels. Bedroom and ensuite very clean.

Ok but glad I did not pay full price
    • King Room with Courtyard View

Having to wait nearly 15 minutes for a member of staff to arrive in the small cubby hole called reception to check out, for this quality and price level would expect a more appealing reception and staff available to deal with check out in the morning

Convenience to town centre nice comfy big room and friendly staff

Lovely Christchurch, Dorset boutique hotel with great food and wonderful service

We would have preferred the restaurant music to have been lower in volume but this is an observation not a criticism. The pillows were way too soft for us but again may be perfect for other guests.

Fantastic location and parking across the road. Lovely bar with very good selection of wines, spirits and cocktails plus 2 happy hours !! Barman very friendly and helpful - in fact all staff could not have been nicer. Had lunch on arrival and was the best burger we have had in a long time - obviously made from freshly minced good quality meat and was cooked perfectly. Room was a loft room which, although smaller than some more expensive ones, was perfectly adequate with a nice shower room and good size bed. Room smelt fresh and was absolutely spotless as was the whole hotel. Sat on comfy chairs drinking cocktails in early evening and could hear that the bar was very lively but not so we were disturbed. Evening meal was very good quality - both the sea bass and steak and kidney pudding were cooked perfectly to our taste. Excellent wine selection and prices acceptable. Service again friendly and very fast - would most definitely recommend this restaurant: the atmosphere is convivial, everywhere looks fresh and clean, the lighting is gentle, the staff could not be more helpful and the menu selection is good.

Excellent apart from the persistent noise mentioned above.

Upgraded to a better room but were disturbed at night by a continuous loud noise from the wall behind the bed. Offered another room but not worth moving everything for one night. Staff offered to investigate when we left. Given reduction. Agree about reception.

ONE little criticism The hotel was sold as the KINGS HARBOUR...

ONE little criticism The hotel was sold as the KINGS HARBOUR HOTEL, however you will not find the hotel under that name, this relates to the groups name and in fact the hotel is the KINGS ARMS hotel

Great accomodation and food; great value

The bar was a bit too loud of an evening.

The room was a good size and well appointed, the bed was very comfortable and the meals were wonderful; the evening meal was of particularly good quality and good value.

Very enjoyable break

everything was excellent

Breakfast was amazing ,plenty to eat . Dinners also really good. Comfortable room . All you could wish for to enjoy a wonderful stay .

Bar and restaurant were great.

The design of the room resulted in more than one cracked skull. We were not told of additional parking at the rear despite actually phoning and enquiring, until we checked out, which resulted in extra costs. Shower was too small.

Bar and restaurant were great. Dinner was good. Breakfast was ok.

Very pleasant one night stay, in a perfect central although quiet location.

It was all good.

Arriving a little late for breakfast due to a misunderstanding of times, the waiter was a little miffed but had a word with the chief who Cooked us a delicious breakfast. All the staff appeared happy to help and were very welcoming.

Great location, comfortable, clean and friendly. We’ll be back

Pretty much all good. Check-in was a little abrupt and it would be good to have a reception desk rather than us all queueing outside a cupboard to check out

Our second stay and just as good as the previous time. Lovely large room overlooking the priory with comfortable bed. We ate out at the nearby Thai restaurant - highly recommended then came back and had cocktails at the bar - happy hour until 11pm! Good breakfast choices. Very good location for town and for walking - Hengistbury Head close by

Modern large room with all facilities, comfy bed, good...

Modern large room with all facilities, comfy bed, good shower. Breakfast was five star dinner menu was good with well priced wine list Parking across the road was handy for luggage

We enjoyed our stay during Christmas

At arrival, we discovered that we were moved to a 'lesser' room, because the previous guests stayed 1 night longer. This could have been handled in a more client friendly manner by that specific receptionist.

Very friendly and helpful staff! Our stay was during Christmas and everyone was in a festive positive spirit. The restaurant and breakfast were also very good.

There is no reception or receptionist - you have to hunt to find someone to check in The bar was understaffed when management knew they had booked Christmas functions - normal guests had to wait 20 minutes to get a drink Breakfast closed at 9.30am during holiday season - Christmas time ?? Service was refused to guest - "You are 15 minutes late Sir, it's the policy Sir, sorry Sir" Staff are 100% focused on your 'policies' and their 'shift duties' and not the guest Shame really - but probably badly understaffed, with people who are untrained on "Yes of course we can" (then go and worry how behind the scenes)

Nice bed

Christchurch is lovely, and I wouldn’t not stay in this hotel again but I’d what a better room.

The room was compact, the bathroom fan was too loud, not pleasant to be in the bathroom which had no window, the fan wasn’t at all relaxing. Nipped to the bathroom in the night - had to endure the noisy fan for what felt like 30 minutes afterwards.

The decor, lovely colour scheme - tasteful.

Relaxing escape in comfort and luxury

Slightly noisy in the back rooms whilst music playing in bar didn’t matter to us as we weren’t wanting to sleep early but some people would find it loud at 11 to 12 relaxing

Comfy beds warm welcome friendly staff lovely food

Hotel to recommend

Trying to extend our stay unfortumateky the hotel was full and when requesting to see if partner hotel had a vacancy the gentleman wasn't very helpful so we booked elsewhere shame he let things down as we were very impressed otherwise

Beautiful property good breakfast choices good maid service great bar staff really wanted to extend our stay another night

Great location, with helpful and friendly staff.

The two LED spotlights outside of the bathroom at floor level were very bright and could have been sensor lights detecting movement. The fact that they were on all night lighting up the room was annoying.

Room was comfortable with good furnishings. Breakfast was great with friendly and attentive staff

Highly recommended for comfort and food provided you can sort your parking!

We were on the 3rd floor and needed the lift which is small (max.4), and slow leading to a bit of a wait at busy times. There are about 7 parking spaces behind the hotel and a few spaces opposite but these were all occupied during our stay so we had to find on-street parking

Smallish bedroom under the eaves but extremely comfy bed and very nice en suite. The staff were excellent - attentive and very friendly. The food was very good with an interesting wine list.

Thoroughly enjoyed our long weekend and left feeling quite relaxed

not applicable

Staff very polite and helpful. Good full english breakfast. Dinner in the restaurant was very good and varied. Bedroom very comfortable. Useful having tea and coffee making facilities, also a supply of bottled water everyday.

Nice looking boutique hotel in the heart of christchurch,...

Our twin room was tiny, shower was blocked and just generally a disappointing room.

Nice looking boutique hotel in the heart of christchurch, lovely dinner in the evening and great breakfast.

No Lounge facility,

Great hotel , staff very helpful , restaurant at hotel good but expensive . Location very convenient, great location . Lovely stay all round highly recommend it

Would definitely stay there again.

attic room was very hot and fan did little to help. constant noise from next room.

very good breakfast with wide choice of hot and cold food - could serve weekday breakfast up to 10.00. evening dinner was excellent - very nice restaurant and great service.

Would be happy to retrun.

Parking was like shuffling a pack of cards which made me a bit nervous but the staff seemed on top of it. Room was huge and clean and well equipped and attractive but needed a new carpet!

Great staff, lovely breakfast. We ate in the restaurant and thought the vast menu didn't bode too well (usually when somewhere has that huge a choice nothing is done particularly well) but the food was very good and we enjoyed everything we had. Service very slick too.

The facilities, decor, staff and food were just superb. We would have scored this hotel a 10 if it w

Traffic noise at rush hour

Everything, the decor, the staff (every one of them), the cleanliness, the size of the room which was massive and the restaurant.

great breakfast very friendly staff

bed was two singles pushed together so double ridge down middle of bed .We were not made aware of the fact it had an adjoining room so could here tv and talking .we requested a parking space as husband disabled but upon arrival no spaces available .

great breakfast very friendly staff

Overall our stay was good. Would definitely go back.

Milk was not replaced in room for the two mornings we were there. Poached eggs were too well done, like eating a hard boiled egg. No signage pointing to reception which is only a small cupboard!! I think it would be nice to walk in and get greeted instead of looking for someone to help you.

good choice for breakfast, comfy beds, staff very helpful.

Noisy room and poorest parking I have experienced. Hotel manager is young man in jeans and open knec

Had room overlooking busy road and no double glazing. Very noisy from about 6 am. Nearby by church clock chimed on the hour and half hour. Woke each morning at 4 am. Very poor parking facilities. Had to leave car key at hotel. No proper reception area, just had to grab nearest staff member for info if you could.

Massive room and bed. Good sized bathroom. Good restaurant and bar area.

Over all nice place. And I would stay there again but I'd want a discount

Restaurant seemed a bit unfriendly except for one waiter (older gentlemen). Room was a little too warm for a North American. And couldn't open a window. At night when the wind was blowing you can hear the flapping of the advertising flags. The carpet needs cleaned.

Charming hotel. Great location. Reception staff excellent

Over all lovely hotel and a pleasant stay

Evening meal was served a bit odd, the first night no problem at all but the second we sat for about 25 minutes without any drink and then we had the order taken and two courses served within the next 30 minutes ( a bit rushed) and then another 20 minutes of nothing not even to ask if we wanted another drink. The food was very good at the hotel although that night my steak was very fatty and chewy, I was asked if the meal was ok but the lady didn't wait for my answer and assumed was ok.

Food quality was very good and staff very pleasant

Lovely!

See above

It was a good location but not great parking especially if there is a special occasion on! Food was fab staff great as well! My only issue was the hotel was actually called The Kings Arms Hotel on the front - very confusing?

We really enjoyed our stay at The Kings, and would not hesitate to recommend it to our friends.

The car parking! But, I accept the hotel is in the middle of the town.

The friendliness of all the staff who were always prepared to do that bit extra for you. The room was a good size. The meals in the restaurant were superb. The location was ideal.

Ok for very short stay only.

The car parking is awful - the staff demanded our keys (which we refused) so they could move the car if someone else needed to leave the so called car park at the front of the hotel. There is a small car park at the rear which we eventually were able to park in. There is no reception desk which is not good when you check in and out. Our room on the top floor was awful - small with little light and very hot.

Nice restaurant and bar - good food .

Overall a pleasent stay.

No bath robe. Noisy connecting door in corridor. Should be on soft closers. A big difference from it's sister Hotel but not reflected in the price difference.

Good location. Friendly staff.

Comfortable modern Hotel, fishy tales....

Everything about this hotel was cool, until we go for dinner -my wife (and the man on the next table) ordered fish -and the portion on the plates was shocking when it arrived -2 mouthful's only of the fresh fish -this is a dish costing £16.00 -as a fisherman I can see they got about 4 dish portions out of one fish -£64.00 a fish -not sure what this was about -the other dishes on the menu were good proportions -is this a chef worried he's going to run out (fishing village??) -anyway it was a shock to my wife, who was hungry -we had been travelling all day .....

Modern style, and comfortable -highllight was the amazing well designed and quality breakfast and experienced breakfast staff- " trained on the Queen Elizabeth".....

Don't be fooled by the website pictures which seem to indicate hotel has 'grounds'.

Booked hotel as we required parking only to find that there were only 3 spaces at the back of the hotel and about 6 spaces in a lay by opposite the hotel where you had to leave the keys in case the car needed to be moved! Website pictures appear to show 'grounds' but this is a view from across a busy road when no cars were parked in the lay by parking area. Quite misleading.

Room size was good. Breakfast had good choice and excellent service.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

great mid-week break

The attic room we were given (305) has sloping ceilings in the bedroom and even a person vertically challenged will bash their head at least once! Door hanging off the wardrobe... En-suite large however, but no bath Some decor and restaurant seating "tired", and urinals/privacy screens loose. Bar good - especially the range of Gins on offer! Overall, the accommodation is not worth the price charged - needs urgent attention/maintenance to avoid dropping down to a lower grade establishment

The range of food for breakfast and evening meals was impressive and the 15 mile menu fantastic value

Comfortable hotel in an excellent position in a charming Dorset town.

The person in charge of the restaurant one night could have been a little more customer friendly, but she was the exception.

Very comfortable hotel in a good location in Christchurch. On the whole, friendly and helpful staff - who rather went out of their way to be helpful. Food - including breakfast - excellent. Room immaculate.

Lovely boutique hotel

The food on the first night was superb. On the second night I had the spaghetti with crab. I have never eaten such a tasteless meal. The cheese soufflé was superb soon consistency.

The bed was very comfy. The room was very spacious although a little tired in places.

Good position for the nice town of Christchurch,parking slightly restricted,arrive early to be sure!

I was very surprised to be upgraded to a very comfortable room. The dinner with nine other people was very good,almost too much choice!! Everybody really enjoyed the food.

Short but nice stay.

Felt a bit strange that there was no reception. The lighting in the bar was a little dark.

Although no reception there was plenty of staff around and checked us in very efficiently. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant in the hotel. The staff were very professional and pleasant. We thought it was good value for money.

Not relaxing

The noise on the main road made it hard to sleep at night. Fried breakfast was terrible and served by a sarcastic waiter. Parking was difficult and involved giving your keys to staff for them to try and squash as many cars as they could on the forecourt of the hotel. Something I didn't like in case car was needed in an emergency which was always on our mind with sick grandparents! Wasn't worth £200 a night, the sister hotel 1.8 miles away is cheaper and has a spa and better parking facities. My partner and I were shattered when We left this hotel rather than relaxed due to sleep deprivation and couldn't sleep with the windows closed at it was too hot and the fan offered didn't do anything.

The room size and cleanliness The bar staff were friendly Drink prices reasonable

Lovely hotel great staff

The fact our request on the booking for a room with a walk in shower was missed

As we had stayed before our expectations were not exceeded the ace was as nice as we remembered. The rooms were lovely, a mix up over a room with a shower which was requested was rectified on the 2nd day shame the requested was not noticed when the room was booked months before, but Catherine tried her best to make up for it. We found the evening meal over priced and disappointing but the breakfasts were great and all the staff lovely.

You need to give this Hotel a try its awesome!

The staff were al so friendly and helpful. The location was perfect for shopping and the fact they have the green opposite was a delight to sit and picnic during the afternoon. Everything you could want was within walking distance. The cocktails were a real treat, with so much variety and the happy hour before and after dinner made them even more enticing. We have a chautbrian for dinner and the meat was top quality. We were totally blown away when we got in to our room with the high ceilings and wooden shutters the whole feel of the hotel was amazing. Couldn’t reccomend the Kings Arms enough and we will be back!