Reviews of Mercure Thame Lambert Hotel 4 stars

London Road, Aston Rowant, Oxon, Aston Rowant, OX49 5SQ, United Kingdom

#1 of 1 hotels in Aston Rowant

A great way to spend the night before an ultra marathon.....
    • Standard Double Room - Courtyard Side

Toilet seat needed fixing. All else ggod.

Very pleasant welcome by a savvy Polish receptionist. Large room and spacious bathroom. Comfortable bed. Quiet.

A great place to stay and I would stay there again.
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

Some of the furniture and decor is a bit tired and battered but nothing a bit of a spruce up couldn't fix. Could do with complimentary bottled water in the rooms as I had to run the tap for a very long time before the water ran cold which is a lot of wasted water.

Lovely spacious room in the main building and friendly staff

Very happy with our overnight stay.
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

We needed a Taxi, promised one in 25 minutes. 45 minutes later still no show. Had to reorder an unknown company. Really not good enough.

We were welcomed, accommodated promptly which was appreciated having driven 200 miles in 30 degree heat and were in a hurry to dress for an afternoon celebration. Excellent breakfast, including eggs cooked to order. Great staff too!

Adequate for a one night stay
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

The floor in our room wasn’t level which was ok for us but if you have mobility issues this would be a huge problem! The bathroom could do with being refurbished. The curtains didn’t quite cover the window so we were sleeping in a very light room from about 4am

Comfy bed, the room was VERY hot but I was impressed to find a fan in the room.

Mixed experience
    • Standard Double Room - Courtyard Side

Barman did not understand a clear request for fruit cider! Brought cordial and when explained again what was wanted stated they did not sell it... walked past the bar at the end of our meal to see a fridge full of fruit ciders!!! Good service at dinner on first night and Saturday breakfast.... Sunday breakfast was a whole other story; hotel full of guests from a wedding the previous day and not enough staff around to deal with it. We waited 10 minutes after sitting down and still had to attract attention for service (we wanted food from the freshly cooked section). Much of the buffet offering ran out and was not replenished very quickly

As stated above, good dinner service and first breakfast

Lovely location, would stay again
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

Breakfast was a bit disappointing, they ran out of croissants and pastries and didn't refill, there were pork sausages on the table but no vegetarian sausages, apparently they have to be requested. It would be helpful to have someone assisting for general help and guidance. There was no tomato or brown sauce or mustard anywhere, no sugar for the cereal. We heard a lot of people complaining at their tables!

The room was very comfortable, with good facilities.

Staff friendly and helpful.
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

There were certain things that looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a while. The shower mat could be have been replaced. There were no croissants for breakfast (unless we missed them).

Staff friendly and helpful. Decor nice. Breakfast very good.

• Standard Room with Double Bed

Breakfast was good and food at Wedding reception.

Very disappointed with the state of cleanliness of the room. Toilet was disgusting! and room stank of unblocked drains. I have stayed in many 4 star hotels and never been disappointed, this must be a first. I was attending a Wedding and had no time to complain on arrival as the Wedding Ceremony was about to start. I did complain the next morning on departure but had short shrift from the receptionist who informed me that there was nothing he could do as the Manager wasn't around!! I would have expected a discount but was not offered this

It did the job
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

The hard beds. The location as it was in a busy main road. Hotel is very well maintained and the decor is very beautiful.

Disappointing . It was very much do it yourself and the scrambled eggs were discusting . They looked like powered eggs. So we ordered fresh eggs . The staff were not very warming . Definitely a communication barrier with staff in the restaurant area although we must say the manger was works very hard .

Overall a good good couple of night, slightly spoilt re the comments above.
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

Traffic noise was intrusive and not good for sleeping (room 5) Breakfast did not match quality of the evening meal, expected better than machine coffee and tea at breakfast.

Food and staff at dinner were excellent.

Clean room, bar &, dining room, staff attentive and...
    • Standard Double Room - Courtyard Side

Coffee in the dining room at breakfast is out of a machine.....come on! why is it so difficult to provide a pot of fresh coffee?

Clean room, bar &, dining room, staff attentive and polite. Fast service. Food is of a high standard

Very good value for money- it felt quite luxurious
    • Standard Double Room - Courtyard Side

Lovely large room in a quiet courtyard location. Very comfortable. Staff were extremely pleasant and made the stay a good experience.the restaurant food was excellent.

Couldn't ask for anything better
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

Nothing was wrong only you do need a car nothing much around but good for the M40

Every thing was what you expected lovely and clean nice room food was excellent

Some attention needs to be given to door closers , we had a...
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

Some attention needs to be given to door closers , we had a lot of early morning door closing noise, also the towel radiator can not be switched off making the room very warm in hot weather

Comfortable room, an excellent night's sleep; plus happy to recommend for the cream tea alone
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

Sound insulation between rooms wasn't great. Too easy to overhear the neighbour.

Very comfortable rooms. Helpful and attentive staff. Meals delicious and very nicely presented.

Nice hotel & area, big room but cleanliness issues
    • Standard Twin Room

I had read reviews about the rooms not being very clean before going to the hotel and I agree. Not only the room wasn’t clean properly but also the cups and glasses at the pub. We phoned the hotel at ca. 10pm to find out if the restaurant was open and were told it closes at 11pm. So we rushed to get there before it closed. When we arrived at 10.30pm, we subsequently found out that it had already closed at 9.30pm!! Pet friendly but pets not allowed in restaurant.

Nice and quiet area just off the motorway. Pleasant staff.

A very comfortable hotel at an excellent rate for a Bank Holiday
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

The toilet seat had come off and couldn’t be replaced as it was Bank Holiday. Clearer directions for reaching my room would have been good. I wasn’t told that I needed to use my pass key to enter the block where my room was. Signage was a little confusing.

Very comfortable room. No single supplement charges. Very close to my friends that I was visiting. Good that I could check out at 6.30 am.

Outstanding value for money. Wish we had stayed a couple of nights.
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

There was absolutely nothing not to like.

Rooms were extremely clean and very comfortable. Great bathroom with a beautiful shower. The bed was lovely and the room was quiet which made for a very restful night

Very pleasant, and would love to return
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

The garden area with swing could have smaller cushions on chairs just to make them a little more comfy

Hotel is middle of nowhere, but we liked thst very oretty surroundings. Food was excellent, amd staff very attentive. Unfortunately our friends had huge problem with bugs in ghere room which out a slight dampner on our stay. We however were fun, not one bug in site.

We enjoyed our stay
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

we were in a courtyard room near the entrance door which banged closed every time people came in late at night and early in the morning which totally disrupted sleep. the light one side of the bed didn't work. At first we couldn't get the heating to work which was rectified but at 2am it made a loud grating sound from the air conditioning fan and we had to get up to turn it off, then it was difficult to go back to sleep. They did apologise but it really spoilt our stay because it was an Anniversary treat.

lovely big room , good food, nice décor in the hotel, lovely staff.

Very nice hotel, friendly staff and will definitely stay again.
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

The room looked a little tired and in need of decorating, but apart from that it was lovely and very roomy.

The food in the restaurant was very good and the staff very friendly

The staff were all lovely and so helpful-we had dinner and...
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

The staff were all lovely and so helpful-we had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and the food was really good. The room was very clean and a great size with super views of the red kites. Thank you to Ioana, Tatyana, and Olga as well as the lovely lady who cleaned our rooms. We hope to go back.

Convenient place to break our journey.
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

I was surprised to be charged £25 for our dog. We have stayed in many hotels with him and the charge is typically £10-£12, often including a ‘welcome pack’ . £25 without even a dog biscuit seemed a little steep!

Good soundproofing from the nearby motorway.

A very enjoyable brief overnight stop. Would be more than happy to stay for longer
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

There was nothing I didn't like to be honest

The bathroom was sparkling clean, bed comfortable and the menu and quality of food excellent - we met family there for a meal and were able to sit in the bar well into the night. The staff were very attentive - I have a knee injury and the waiter offered to carry my buffet breakfast back to our table for me

Not very good
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

Having to have a room change the day after we arrived and having some stranger moving all our belongings and clothing to another room while we were out celebrating our anniversary.

Lovely welcoming place to stay
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

The air con woke me at 4am with a drilling noise; I did wonder what the hamster was doing at first. It was my own fault for leaving it on, once turned off at bed time there is no noise. I didn’t like going home :( could do to check shrubbery outside of bedroom windows for rubbish and a recalcitrant sock had obviously made a bid for freedom and was hiding out in there. Only two hangers in the wardrobe so make sure you take some with you.

The staff were excellent and very helpful even when things went awry. Service in the restaurant was excellent. The menu included vegetarian and gluten free options. We had sandwiches on arrival mid-afternoon and they were delicious with plenty of filling. The breakfast range was plentiful and the wholegrain loaf very moreish. we were made to feel very welcome even the hamster was given a treat of a toilet roll inner which she loves to rip up :) my parents had stayed at this hotel before the change of ownership and were very impressed. We would definitely stay here again. It is also very handy for lots of shopping outlets and exploring Oxford and doing more shopping! The hotel is doing its best to be eco-friendly and therefore the towels are a cream colour and I noted some negative comments about them, the towels were fine and did the job they were employed to do. Free Wi-Fi in all areas including bedrooms and good reception on it too. I loved the big TV in the room on the wall opposite the bed with plenty of channels. There was very little noise from other residents that I could hear from my bedroom so a peaceful relaxing sleep in a comfy bed with option of additional pillows available in the wardrobe. the fridge in the room was a bonus, ideal to store my insulin in. the safe was free and easy to use, tea and coffee was plentiful, not sure if you could get fresh milk but I didn’t ask so don’t know. Toiletries were the usual hotel standard. Room smelt fresh and clean, bedding fresh and comfy. Staff very helpful and reassuring when I contacted hotel prior to stay.

Reasonable for the price.
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

The AC/Heating system was unusually loud and started to rattle during the night which woke me up and went on for a good 15 minutes. There was no free bottled water provided in the room. There was nothing of note in the area and would have been nice if staff were able to advise on local shops and places to visit.

The bed was comfortable and clean and the room was large.

Location is good for motorway M40
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

Hardly slept due to a drilling noise from the ceiling that was apparently the air condition unit. Complained to reception next morning to be told that it is standard to have this noise and unfortunately that was the only room available. Awful customer service , especially when only having 2 hours sleep.I won’t be staying again or recommending to colleagues.

Location is good for motorway M40

Great business location but perhaps a little isolated meaning the only food option was to eat at hot
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

Restaurant wasn't great, couldn't eat my meal but situation dealt with efficiently by manager

Location, ease of check in nice bid room with comfortable bed.

Staff were very accommodating and super friendly
    • Standard Double Room - Courtyard Side

Kitchen stops hot food at 2pm which is no use if you check in around that time although you can still have afternoon tea which is excellent

Staff were very accommodating and super friendly

Ok if travelling with pets
    • Standard Double Room - Courtyard Side

This is not the fault of the hotel directly but when I booked the property, it did not specify on the booking.com price breakdown that if you were bringing a pet it was an extra £25. I did note on my booking with the website that I would be bringing my dog but this was not picked up by the booking.com or the hotel until we arrived on site. At that point too late and unable to dispute the cost. I have no problem paying for a pet but I would like to understand the cost implications of doing so, up front. There were issues with a faulty heating system in the room which meant it had to be left on all night (room 104), this unfortunately meant it was a broken night's sleep. I raised this with reception on departure which they duly noted.

The property was well laid out for people travelling with pets and we were able to take the dog in the bar area for food in the evening

Good location, average restaurant, terrible customer service.
    • Standard Double Room - Courtyard Side

The air con in the room was extremely loud - almost like a drilling noise that went of throughout the night. The website also said that the room would have an iron and ironing board in the room, which it didn't and free complimentary water, which it didn't (however it was brought up to us upon request). We ate in the restaurant one of the nights and one of the female staff members made constant mistakes, it didn't help that she didn't speak good English. Upon our departure the front desk computer was not working so we could not make payment by card. We were told my partner would get a call later in the day to take payment (he left his details). Later in the day, my partner rang up as he hadn't heard from them and they said they had already taken payment via the card registered to my booking.com account. I'm extremely unhappy with them doing this without informing me first. Equally, I have had no contact from the hotel saying that they have done this.

The room was spacious and clean. The gentleman on the front desk who greeted us was very friendly and helpful.

Always good but still some niggles which would take this hotel from good to excellent
    • Standard Twin Room

I stay here regularly but for a hotel of this calibre, I find it increasingly frustrating that the management cannot buy an iron and board and place in all rooms! This time, I forgot to check on arrival that I had been given them and had to ring reception at 6 in the morning to sort. Come on Mercure... fork out for some irons and boards!!! This and the fact that it is taking an eternity to sort out the fitness suite let the hotel down.

The roast beef dinner was amazing.
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

There was a short ten minute period at around midnight where there was a knocking noise, possibly coming from the air conditioning.

The roast beef dinner was amazing.

Excellent stay overall, with one small hiccup
    • Standard Twin Room

The one thing we were not impressed with was the required room service charge of £5.00 per person, we wished to order a light breakfast of a bacon sandwich each, and the service charge would have made a total cost of almost £20 for two sandwiches. I felt this added service charge was extortionate and totally unnecessary, and should not have been asked for. We did not place the order.

The beds were particularly comfortable, which is very often not the case in hotels.

Really enjoyable, a good rest break on my journey.
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

External speaker for the music in the smoking area was right outside the room window - only problem with this is I had to phone down to reception at 11pm to ask them to turn it down (which, in fairness they did).

Decor for both the hotel in general and room were fantastic.

Very friendly and welcoming staff.
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

Very friendly and welcoming staff. Very spacious and clean rooms with all necessary facilities. The onsite restaurant has a great manu choice but unfortunately I couldn't enjoy it as I had other plans. Would eat there for sure on my next visit.

it got off to bad start
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

we were given the key and the cleaner had just started to clean the room, tried to communicate with cleaner and just received grunts in return. food left outside room for over 12 hours, constant use of fire door by staff adjacent to room door

the bed was comfy nice big bath

Very impressed with restaurant & bar staff but cleanliness of our room let them down
    • Double Inn Room

The room was not clean. The floor had not been vacuumed. The toilet & shower were not clean & black gunk was under the toilet rim and in the shower too.

The bar & restaurant staff were very professional & very friendly

Coaching Inn with a touch of modern class.
    • Double Inn Room

The staff are very friendly but English is definetly not the first language.

Modern and bright this hotel is well worth a stopover or as a special occassion. The restaurant is elegant and presents a varied and good value menu. Rooms are spacious.

A super short stay.
    • Double Inn Room

We were staying in a room in the courtyard so having to go outdoors in the rain to get to the restaurant was a bit of a pain but wouldn't put us off staying in the future.

Excellent value stay. The room was large and very comfortable. The staff were helpful and the hotel is in an excellent location, easy to reach , just off the motorway.

Great for a short stay but that A/C unit in room 203 should be fixed for heating.
    • Standard Twin Room

Room was cold because the noise from the A/C unit (for heating) was impossible to sleep with (room 203). Bedroom furniture free standing and somewhat dated.

Very good dinner and breakfast. Nice quiet room overlooking courtyard and soft bed. plenty of hot water. Short walk to bus stop for bus into central Oxford (park & rides are always full up). Plenty of parking.

We love this room so much.
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

There are none that I didn't like.

Everything we have enjoyed it. We have slept through that bed was best one than any other hotel we have been to. The room are so spacious. One of manager/supervisor has done hard work to keep us happy and ease. The meals are excellent we enjoyed enormously. We definitely come again.

Comfortable stay
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

Location is in the middle of nowhere but it might suit some. The walls are very thin and you could hear everything next door and footsteps upstairs.

Nice room, modern bathroom and comfortable bed.

Disappointing - after a long drive without children I was hoping to relax before a stressful work me
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

Staff were inattentive and surly on arrival. Evening meal room service never arrived - was told had to have in room as restaurant closing at 8:50pm when I arrived. A sandwich was provided at 10:35pm which I wasn't charged for. The room was cold. The breakfast buffet had an odd layout e.g. plates far end of table from the food, and no cups by the coffee machine etc!?!

large bathroom with bath, not that I got to use it as waited an hour and a half for room service

The location was perfect for our stay and what we had planned but i would not rush back
    • Double Inn Room

A few members of the bar staff ( men ) were rude. The fridge had a long black hair in it when we opened it. The bathroom shower head was so bad the water went everywhere rather than on yourself. Music being played in the kitchen by staff early on in the morning was loud so we could hear it through the floor.

The location of the hotel was good and close to the town and food festival. Easy parking. The main chap on reception was very helpful and friendly

Overall the hotel was ok.
    • Standard Double Room - Courtyard Side

the various phone calls from them, lack of communication.

I had booked this venue for my Manager and I had several calls telling me that Bookings.com had overbooked their hotel and they asked that ciaran moved, I refused as this was booked ages back, it was resolved, however they then called me again the next day and asked the same question, I advised them that they needed to update their records and to fix it, which thankfully they did.

We had a lovely time.
    • Standard Double Room - Courtyard Side

The breakfast in the morning was shocking If I'm honest. How dinner could be as good as it was and breakfast be so poor I do not know.we left the hotel on a low due to this.

Amazing stay. Staff where lovely. Dinner was amazing.

Only there for one night but a most enjoyable stay - will be down again soon.
    • Standard Double Room - Courtyard Side

THE LIGHTING IN THE BEDROOM - but we understand that is being looked into, and the gawd awful perfume in the corridors. Why not just perfume them with a clean, polish smell or lemon, or anything other than a perfume. ' Poison ' Perfume is the pits.

The very pleasant welcome, the excellent breakfast and the even friendlier goodbye. Very comfortable accommodation indeed.

A high level of comfort with excellent service.
    • Standard Double Room - Courtyard Side

The temperature on the shower was a little temperamental.

The real positive to our stay was the staff. In every aspect the staff were friendly, attentive and efficient. The bed was very comfortable, the decor attractive and the breakfast was excellent - even offering to cook our eggs to order despite it being a self service buffet. The sausages were super tasty. All in all our only regret was that we were only staying one night.

Over all it was still very good and I would stay there again
    • Standard Room with Double Bed

Plumbing on hand basin was extremely slow to empty . Took ages. Very poor sound insulation between walls as I could hear snoring coming from the adjacent room! Stains on the carpet Poor insulation on the floor above our room .We could hear the occupants walking up and down the room in the early morning. Thud thud thud - very irritaing

large bed room and bed . Good parking facilities which felt safe and gave easy parking.No traffic noise. On trend decor. Staff were very professional and mainly male giving it an air of class with their black suits

Won't be staying there again. Totally put us off of mecure hotels.
    • Standard Double Room - Courtyard Side

Ignored at reception. Hairdryer broken. No bottom rubber on shower so leaked all over floor. Waiting staff could not understand our food order so nothing came as we asked for it.

Hotel and room very nice.

Nice location
    • Standard Double Room - Courtyard Side

Our room was out the back and looked out onto a nice field and hill but it was spoiled by some remains of a burnt out bonfire and a pile of scruffy old signage - the staff seemed a bit detached and we didn't like the breakfast set up - the buffet style meant the cooked breakfast was tough and cold . Bathroom grout a bit mouldy.

The room was nice and the bed was comfortable and the public areas are good

Rubbish
    • Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

The staff weren't interested at all My husband was ignored whilst waiting to be served at the bar, twice Also when I told the receptionist at check out that we were dissatisfied, she wrote our room number down on a piece of paper

A pleasant stay
    • Standard Twin Room

Not a dislike, more of an observation. The young lady at check out did not engage with us at all, apart from asking our room number. Perhaps she could learn from her colleagues who welcomed us at check in how to engage with clients, even a goodbye was too much of a stretch for her (strange attitude for an industry primarily based on people skills!). And if you are wandering yes we did say good morning and goodbye without reply.

Pleasant, friendly and very welcoming staff at check in and serving in the bar and restaurant areas. Even polite enough to call us once we arrived at our room to check if all was okay. Comfortable clean room.

Breakfast was nice
    • Double Inn Room

the room was very warm and became quite noisy with traffic from about 6:00am, Also we feel that we overpayed for our room considering 2 other couples paid £89 and 1 other couple paid £109 having booked after us and we paid £124 so this was very disappointing to say the least.....

Breakfast was nice

overall a decent hotel offering good sized clean rooms with...
    • Double Courtyard Room

overall a decent hotel offering good sized clean rooms with helpful staff,breakfast buffet with the option to order too.The location is ideal being just off the M40 however is wasn't noisy.if we were in the area we would stay again.

Pretty good value for a hotel in such a good location for Garsington Opera.
    • Double Courtyard Room

We had a courtyard room, which was a good size, but we felt the furnishings were a little sparse. There was nowhere near the wash basin in the bathroom to hang a face towel, which was annoying. We did mention this to a couple members of staff, who said they would pass on our comment to higher management.

Location excellent for Garsington Opera. Hotel recently taken over by Mercure Hotel group and lots of furniture-moving going on, so difficult to judge exactly what hotel will be like when this is completed. Staff friendly and food quality in restaurant a good standard.

It was a very quiet room and could not hear the M40 traffic...
    • Double Courtyard Room

The bath plug did not hold the water in and we mentioned it to reception twice before anyone came to look at it.

It was a very quiet room and could not hear the M40 traffic which was not far away. It was also a spacious room.

Clean & friendly staff.
    • Twin Courtyard Room

Luke warm breakfast... £10 for poor breakfast because of this l would not reconmmend this hotel. Perhaps just go without breakfast and travel to nearest cafe and have a HOT breakfast

Clean & friendly staff.

We did get a deal on this hotel but would not pay their normal prices.
    • Double Courtyard Room

Breakfast buffet left a lot to be desired. Baked beans,& scrambled eggs all dried up. The rest was edible but lacked interest. Neither the tea or coffee out of a machine was drinkable. A bit tatty in places but they were in the middle of a refurbishment. When our group went to pay none of our bills were right. luckily we had kept a check of everything we had so paid what we had recorded - none of this was disputed. Guess some guest will be over charged and some under charged - worth keeping a recording of your hotel spend!

Evening meal was good.

Lovely room
    • Double Inn Room

The weather, and consequently the room, was very hot. There was no air-con. A fan had been provided but this was quite noisy and was inadequate to cool the room. The restaurant was very quiet for a Saturday evening but the service was slow (although I appreciate that the hotel was also hosting a wedding reception that night). The restaurant was much busier at breakfast time and staff seemed slow to top up items like milk (for cereal) and the hot breakfast. No-one seemed to take responsibility for checking that the buffet was kept adequately stocked.

We had a lovely bedroom in the main hotel. There was a TV in the bedroom , and a separate sitting/TV area. This area also included a fridge. There was complimentary bottled water in the room. An iron and ironing board were also provided, in addition to the hairdryer. The bathroom included a double wash basin and bath/shower. We were only booked in for one night but I would go again and stay longer. There was no noise heard from the wedding reception, which was in a separate part of the hotel.

Be careful
    • Twin Courtyard Room

We had pre booked the hotel for£70.00 in cluding £14.00 V.A.T. When we came to actually paying we were charged £84.00. On querying this the receptionist turn our sheet over to show the total amount was £84.00, This was contrary to what was stated on the front page.. We did not want to make too much of a fuss about it as we were in a rush to get off. We felt this was a bit of a con so to future travellers, BE AWAREof this.

Very comfy hotel. The bedroom was huge as was the bed.

Beautiful stay in a beautiful location

The kettle in our room was not working. We did find the food for dinner quite expensive so didn't eat there.

Rooms were comfortable and clean. Staff friendly. Breakfast was excellent

Clean and freindly
    • Double Inn Room

Cooked breakfast was a let down eggs were green had been left out too long and fly in the bacon but good choice of cold and hot to choice from and the coffeee machine wasn't great

Lovely stafff great hotel location clean rooms value for money

Convenient to Oxford and Heathrow
    • Twin Courtyard Room

We like to stay here our last night in England because it's close to Heathrow on the motorway. Convenient to public transport to Oxford. Some hiking trails a mile to the east.

Elegance at a fair price
    • Double Inn Room

I cannot justifiably complain about anything. When pushed I might say that breakfast, plentiful as it was, could have appeared a little more exciting. Porridge option lacking, likewise a fried or boiled egg would have been a change from scrambled. These are mere quibbles. Likewise, we might have asked for an electric fan and additional room lamps. I am sure they would have been readily available, if required.

Excellent staff. Alert and friendly. Superb chef, especially fish cuisine. In fact, the best and most perfectly served and tasting grilled cod. Makes wonderful biscuits too. So easily accessed from M40, yet quiet and peaceful. A really fresh and clean feel to the hotel. Perfect for the Garsington opera. A joy to find enough easy chairs and tables and a big TV screen in our room. Rooms were very comfortable and encouraged you to linger before bed. The sufficiency of easy chairs is so important, especially for oldies. Wi fi worked too ! The efficiency with which renovations continued was remarkable. Definitely a place to which to return!

Very convenient as two minutes from the M40 but probably will stay elsewhere next time.
    • Double Inn Room

There was renovation work going on (not warned about before arriving obviously) and the room I was in was very noisy having looked out onto the main road. For the amount paid was not great value.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was excellent apart from the soup of the day being the same on two consecutive days. i.e., dinner the night before followed by lunch the next day. Room was very clean and more than functional, however it could do with a more comfortable chair in the room though.

Comfortable hotel in nice location
    • Double Inn Room

Breakfast could be better. Sausages under cooked, no fresh fruit Finished Breakfast try still outside our room when we checked in mid afternoon-had to request it was cleared

rooms very comfortable

Hotel for Opera and Cricket lovers
    • Double Inn Room

Breakfast not the same quality as the rooms.

Handy for Garsington Opera at Wormsley. Hotel has been refurbished since we last stayed there - even air con in some rooms

Great reception staff, shame about the cleaning staff.
    • Double Inn Room

Noisy cleaners in the mornings!! I fon't appreciate being woken up at 7.30 am / 8am on a Sunday morning to cleaning staff having their own (loud) social chat in the corridor. Plus their constant banging of doors to get to their equipment. That's just very rude, ignorant and selfish.

Polite reception staff, very dog friendly hotel.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

very comfortable stay and lovely bedroom and great bed. Would def recommend and stay again!
    • Double Inn Room

The door was very stiff to get in and I had to go to reception twice to get entry. V kind man from reception came and helped me and gave me a fresh pot of tea for my trouble. A nice gesture.

excellent location near to the M40. Really pretty setting. Room was a great size and really comfy bed. The bathroom I had was very spacious and modern

Go here for the restaurant/pub not for sleeping.
    • Double Inn Room

This hotel caters mainly for groups (Chinese in coaches), it's quite big and this makes it less charming I requested a Inn- room but we got a room in the new building in the yard. This building lacks the charm which I choose this hotel for. The bed was soft.... but I didn't realized it until I wanted to sleep, I couldn't sleep until 2 AM before we decided to put the matress on the ground and sleep on the bottom of the bed. The matress was so soft that my back hurted all the time I wanted to move. This I told in the morning to the reception, but nothing to do about it anymore.. The shower in the badroom missed a handshower (only large rainshower but I don't always want to have my hair wet/washed).. and the fan made a terrible noise. So for us no return to this hotel, I would only recommend it for drinks and dinner.

The restaurant and pub area are very nice, everything is well maintained. The food was very tasty.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Disspaointing and ripping off stay
    • Double Inn Room

Many things: - I have been charged by the property directly from my credit card an amount which doest not fit with my expenses at the propriety. I hope to be able to clarify now with the hotel, but the idea that you can be charged without being informed is very annoying; - if you don't come by car from Heathrow, you have to walk about 1,7 km from the bus station on the highway without side walks. I asked the staff to provide me a short ride in the morning to the bus stop and they said they cant provide, so i had to take a taxi; - I had the ask several times the heating to be opened in the room - it was freezing. - the hotel doest own or sell phone charge adaptors, so if you don't have your own, bad luck.

Its located in a nice, idyllic landscape and its rather clean and quiet. The food is ok.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

A lovely get away, a great location, great facilities and lovely staff.
    • Double Inn Room

The room was very clean and very comfortable. The view was lovely. The staff were very pleasant. The breakfast offered a great choice and the location is perfect for walking in the area.