Reviews of Best Western Plus Manor Hotel NEC Birmingham 4 stars

Main Road, Bickenhill, CV7 7NH, United Kingdom

#10 of 19 hotels in Bickenhill

Air conditioning not working and fans not available. Staff cold and unhelpful. Parking was full and after 20 minutes of waiting we had to use the Managers space which was good but not what you want when you turn up after a long journey. Apparently they use it for park and fly. They should ensure they have enough spaces for guests. Shower pressure was minimal. After a few bad Best Western visits in the UK it's now off out list. Europe seems to be considerable better, maybe the franchise is better run!.

• Standard Twin Room

We found a stagnate pint of milk behind the curtain next morning, from a previous guest, it was well tucked away. Unfortunately it had left a funny smell in the room overnight, as the top was loose and this was a little off putting for sleep.

Everything with regards to the hotel itself and staff, was absolutely spot on, as described and reviewed.

• Standard Twin Room

On one of the most warmest nights , there was no way to turn the towel radiator off. The room would benefit from some instructions !

The hotel was ideally located for Birmingham Airport and only a short walk from beautiful countryside , Meriden was voted best middle village in th uk !

As above, over priced wine

Had a nice room, enormous bed. Had a really nice steak meal, a bottle of wine ( nice wine, buying some) , the wine was over priced however, that’s the only negative I would give.

• Standard Twin Room

2 Luke warm latte served at the bar the morning we were leaving . We booked a twin room when we arrived we queried this after checking in ...as the bed though it had separate headboards shared a duvet (room 113 ). I would have thought twin beds though pushed together would have separate duvets?.

The price was good value for money

Would be good to have more vegan options and have the food which is vegan clearly labelled.

Ideal location, fantastic staff, lovely hotel, room was great and very comfortable.

Struggling to think of something really, the hotel is big so a bit of a trek from reception to our room but isnt that the way it goes? Narrow exit from car park, easy for clowns to block it. But to be fair, he moved after a bit of beeping and shouting the inbred mutant that he was...

Everythings very nice, decent bedding, decor, furnishings, coffee and tea is stored under the television :) Nice and quiet, got a decent sleep. Further from the NEC than I wanted but half the price of the Hilton so there you go. Lost my key card and reception didnt charge me for replacements and it was no bother to them to sort out quickly. Car parks big and free, you can have a wander into the village if you want to stretch your legs and see the sights, theres the duck pond.... and the duck pond... theres no water though at the moment.... but there is ducks

Not a lot to do outside the hotel but we were going to a wedding at the heart of England conference and events centre so that didn't bother us would be ideal as a stopover for the airport

Lovely clean rooms,excellent food in the restaurant and not too expensive

I used the toilets on the ground floor around 10am and they didn’t look as if they’d been clean from the night before. Nothing too bad just needed freshening up.

The staff were consistently great throughout the whole hotel.

Perfect location for our needs just minutes from Birmingham airport very easy to find. Quick check in and check out, our room was spacious and very quiet and clean we took our evening meal in the hotels restaurant and the food was amazing will definitely use again when we fly from birmingham.

Breakfast service

Nice hotel, just not very well run! Nothing terrible but lots of little minor annoyances which spoilt things a little. Key cards stopped working on both days after breakfast. Slow room service. Tea/coffee not replenished and very slow to re-supply when requested. Questioned both mornings about right to enjoy breakfast despite paying for it on arrival. Poor replenishment at breakfast. Strange smell in rooms. No bedside table on one side of bed. None of the above are major but all are silly errors which could be avoided with better management and more diligent staff.

As I said above, the kitchen lets this hotel down. The restaurant is a steak restaurant to be frank and although it is fine, it is only just average. Very nice and helpful staff to be fair but the kitchen lets it down at dinner and breakfast. No fresh fruit for breakfast and hot food that is cooked so far in advance that it is hard and dried out. The worst breakfast for me.

Comfortable bed, pleasant hotel with very helpful staff. Restaurant is only average though and quite expensive with no charcoal cooking and a chef who does not listen to customer requests which spoiled my dinner.

Food in restaurant is good but expensive which would probably stop me booking again. Didn't book breakfast for same reason. £13 if you only want coffee and toast is way too pricey. The room was a good price but if you took the cost of the meal and breakfast into account it makes it much more expensive than other local hotels. In this room the TV was beside the bed making it difficult to watch.

Comfortable hotel in a very good location for my meeting the next day. The guy at check in was excellent.

• Standard Twin Room

There was no AC which I would have appreciated considering the hot humid weather, however I did find a desk fan so wasn't as bad.

The hotel is beautiful. Good location for me and my best friend to get to my friends wedding which was at the heart of england conference centre.

Get rid of marco

The room was fantatic as was the staff however the Marco peirire white menu was rubish for the money I could of walked 50 yards to a couple of pubs for better value and food. Not the staffs fault who were excellent

Expensive, no breakfast included in room rate. Noisy car park in the morning which disturbed my sleep as I could hear it from my room.

Good bar, comfortable and clean room. Decent shower. Good location for NEC.

The van delivery beeping outside the window at 6am but out of your control

The staff really make this hotel, the greeting and helpfulness of the front desk staff when we arrived was great, they went out of their way to help and offered to order us a taxi before we asked. 10/10! Nice room, comfy bed and clean thanks

The service in the restaurant was very slow even though we were virtually the only customers in there, Once arrived, the food was of a good quality. For breakfast in the morning, our order of coffee was taken but it never arrived, we never saw another member of staff so we ate our food and left.

The welcome of the the reception staff was warm and accommodating. They had no problem calling us a taxi and giving us information.

Would have liked to have been able to open the windows slightly wider.

Bed was super comfy. Nice big TV. Welcome biscuits. The guy on Reception was very friendly and efficient. Loads of parking and in nice gardens.

No lift to top floor, staff helped carry my bags up for me. I was told that it was a listed building,my problem is a temporary problem. So was a bit embarrassed.

Very friendly nice staff.

Nothing negative to say

I had a great experience and the staff (especially the reception staff) were very helpful and friendly. I would come back again just based on that. The hotel was very clean with everything I could need for my stay. I would highly recommend this hotel

• Standard Twin Room

room was a bit outdated, scratched furniture, no double plug nearby bed so had to unplug the lamp; not very clean; restaurant check comes with additional 10% service fee

Friendly staff, good breakfast and convenient location nearby Birmingham airport (10 min. by taxi)

The only small issue was the pillows, They were not very comfortable.

The room was nicely decorated, very quiet and reasonably spacious, the bathroom was quite large with everything we needed.

A shower curtain rather than a glass door was a big let down in the bathroom.

Kay in Reservations was outstanding at all times and Aiden in the Restaurant was a gem. Generally the staff were well trained and excellent.

We stayed in a double room, but it was just 2 single beds pushed together. This made sleeping a bit uncomfortable due to the way the sheets moved in the night and the gap in the middle.

Really nicely decorated, clean room. Helpful and friendly staff. Great location & nice food. The bar was beautiful too.

• Standard Twin Room

The wi-fi in the room was vey difficult/impossible to connect to and there was nomobile phone signalin the room

Location for NEC was excellent, great parking, friendly and helpfull staff

The food in the restaurant Under the banner of Marco Pierre White we all felt was a little bit disappointing and under whelming. Aiden our waiter was also excellent and very knowledgeable.

Kay on Check in was outstanding throughout. Well organised, efficient and friendly - a credit to the Hotel Group.

That the fan / air-con wasn’t working and I could open the window due to the noise of the fans / vents from the kitchen!

The Restaurant was awesome.

WiFi signal was poor. Only one disabled parking space around the front. Fixed shower head. We much prefer/need a slider rail. Although we booked a room for someone with mobility issues the room was a long walk from reception and breakfast.

Very plush hotel with well kept grounds, comfortable bed, good breakfast and helpful staff.

• Standard Twin Room

Wi-Fi is dreadful, one of the worst I have experienced in many years especially in our rooms, you could not conduct business from your room and even downstairs it was at best, hit or miss. Mobile phone reception for my network was also poor which I can't blame the hotel for, that's an O2 issue. Hot water in the bathroom was inadequate with temperature fluctuations a regular feature.

Staff were excellent, food was good although a little expensive for the amount you received on your plate with pies in particular light on content. The breakfast buffet was very good although I was generally one of the first down.

Told on checkin that breakfast was £10 and we could just pay next day but next day told it cost £15. On checkout receptionist was snappy with other customer and unsmiling with me. Needs some customer service training.

Big beds!

We were a little disappointed as we were down for a special day at the National Motorcycle Museum and we were told this hotel is part of the same group. We naïvely expected the Triumph bar to have some memorabilia within it but were very disappointed as there was NONE. I felt the hotel was a bit on the expensive side for both accommodation and bar food.

The staff were excellent!!!! Location excellent for motorcycle museum but also set in a lovely village. Breakfast was brilliant, buffet style and good quality. Marco Pierre White restaurant was really good. Good selection of gins in the bar too! Our room was immaculately clean.

A constant drone from what I assume to be the kitchen extraction system could be heard in the room, annoying considering I suffer from tinnitus. The signage to the rooms could be better.

Room was large and comfortable

The staff (especially the gentleman at the front desk) were rude on arrival: As we had a wedding to get ready for, we purposely selected a hotel that would allow early checking. We also called ahead days before to check that was still in place and was told that this is the case. When we arrived we were rather abruptly told there were no rooms only for a room to become available suddenly once we reminded the staff that we had booked early check-in. Sadly, the staff did not learn from this mistake, and behaved in exactly the same manner when the next member of my party arrived with her partner. If a service is booked and agreed upon, it shouldn’t be an inconvenience for it to be provided. The shower was also pretty poor - low pressure and temperature control didn’t work

Bed was very comfy. Good range of breakfast and staff considerate enough to check if you wanted anymore food before closing it down.

Had to return for exit code from carpark -could have let us know at check-in as we had said we were parked in the rear carpark! No soap in the bathroom.

Very convenient, very comfortable, met all our expectations

• Standard Twin Room

We got in late from event like last year when we visited but getting a beer before we retired was an effort. Over an hour to wait for service and drinks, most of our last went to bed bored waiting. Part of the appeal of the Venue is being able to get a drink while we wind down from Activity during the day.

Breakfast & quiet rooms. 24 hr check in

The only thing that would make this hotel any better would be a swimming pool and spa

Bed very comfy breakfast was excellent staff very helpful and the new restaurant stunning

• Standard Twin Room

Were disappointed that only one bath towel was provided when there were 2 of us. Also, our wake up call was 15 minutes late.

The room was clean and comfortable.

Outstanding staff on the evening Natalie was the the best hostess I’ve ever met. Adam,Danny ,Harriet and Jack were the friendliness bar staff and made me feel welcome. Victoria the waitress never stoped smiling and was very pleasant. Over all outstanding stay and will defiantly be using this hotel again.

• Standard Twin Room

The rooms were a bit run down, handles missing off drawers, wobbly bathroom tap, etc. We were put in a room next to the lift, so didn’t get a lot of sleep. A bit overpriced for the quality really.

We booked a hotel stay with parking for 8 days & transfer initially, this was very easy & worked well. We booked an extra night for our return, beds were comfy, showers nice and powerful. Good checkout time 11am.

• Standard Twin Room

This hotel was lovely and clean and they accommodated my request for ground floor rooms for my mother who has breathing problems and aunt who has walking problems. Thank you for a lovely problem free stay.

Didnt like the fact that it claims to be of the " highest standard for cleanliness " ABSOLUTE JOKE . Paid £600 for a 4 night stay . Took 2 days to run a hoover over the floor

The location / distance from venue NEC

Couldn't find any way to cool room apart from opening the balcony door. The signage to get from rear car park to reception wasn't clear so walked right around the 1st floor to go down into reception and for such a large hotel was a long way when you are tired from a day at the NEC! The bathroom vent extractor fan was very loud. The shower could be set to get scalding hot very easily and was a serious danger, especially for youngsters or the confused! The minimum setting was only just cool enough.

The bed was comfortable and the room well appointed.

• Standard Twin Room

Room heating. An electric wall radiator, which was turned off. If you didn't know you had to turn it on the room was cold.

Comfortable room with all the usual facilities. Heating a bit basic, but worked if you knew to turn it on. Confused by what was apparently a control by the door, but never did work out what that was for or how it worked. Very good staff and good breakfast.

The choice of beer and wine in the bar was poor

Overall we had an excellent stay and would definitely stay at this hotel again if we were planning another trip to Birmingham

• Standard Twin Room

The bathroom smelled very unpleasant all the time. There were obviously issues with the drainage system at the hotel .

Nice big room. Good controllable heating system and comfortable bed. Also car parking was free. Didn't eat in the restaurant at all so cannot comment on quality of food.

The only niggle we had, was a lot of noise outside our bedroom window in the early hours, sounding like a delivery or bins being wheeled around

The hotel was extremely clean and very well maintained especially the bars restaurant and reception areas. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast was hot, freshly prepared and beautifully presented - excellent. I would happily recommend this hotel.

Breakfast was a little on the cool side! Could have been warmer and the bacon a little crisper, otherwise was very good.

The facilities were really good, very polite staff! .

• Standard Twin Room

Ideal location for Birmingham NEC, nice quiet surroundings. Food is top notch in the restaurant and great customer service, especially Natalie. Will definitely be staying there again.

Not very quick at topping breakfast items up. Had to wait ages for eggs and other items. Had to ask for ketchup twice whilst stood there with a plate of breakfast going cold. No saucers with the teacups. Staff not the best at breakfast.

Comfy room although a little dated. Generally good facilities.

• Standard Twin Room

Everything was excellent. The place is clean and very appealing. Enough car parking All Staff in all areas were unbelievably welcoming, helpful and friendly. Afternoon tea was very good value for money A veyr relaxing experience

Nice size hotel and the second time we have stayed. Fabulous for Crufts.

The Hotel was very clean. The staff was fabulous on both trips to this hotel. The food was excellent.

The disability aids in the shower were a nuisance and took up most of the space. There were white fibres that could be mistaken for animal hair all over the yellow carpeted floor.

The entire experience was enjoyable, apart from those stated below.

The paint was pealing off the ceiling, wifi doesnt work in the rooms, dinner cost the same price as a room and we still had to.order from a take out

Lovely looking building

Restaurant was defiantly not upto our expectation. Brochure info said bar menus available but we were told food only served in the restaurant.. Why does everything get served with peas ? I didn't want peas (I cann't stand them) with my chicken dish but was expecting it to arrive with more than one solitary fondant potato, however when I ate it it wasn't a problem that the portion was so meagre because it was only just cooked and totally tasteless, like a boiled potato instead of having the softness from baking in stock. The sticky toffee pudding was very dense and cloying in the mouth neither of us finished it . Breakfast we waited ages for our tea and coffee had to ask twice where it was, there was no butter on the tables ( and no alternative low fat spread is available) The continental choice was wafer thin ham or one type of cheese, berries had all gone, croissants cold and dry. The cooked breakfast I had to ask for more plates, and bacon ( waited 10 mins for bacon and then gave up ) the sausage, beans and tomatoes were the items I ended up with but all warm nothing was piping hot. On sunday morning we were having breakfast earlier, but the plates in the plate warmer were cold, there was more food available but again it wasn't hot enough to be enjoyed. Fancy self service facilities need attentive staff monitoring the quantity / top up, and most importantly hot food is essential. We wee aware another guest enquired about vegetarian options and the waiter said if you want them ask when you come in and the chef will cook them ( there is nothing on the table advising of vegetarian options ) - Then the waiter went off to his colleague sniggering about why a vegetarian would want to eat sausage - highly unprofessional. I also think staff serving food should not be wearing lots of jewellery and have painted finger nails, from a food hygiene aspect it is not desirable and surely the company has a dress code for staff and managers to adhere to ??

Very comfortable bed and room was well presented and clean.

• Standard Twin Room

The hotel was advertised as being close to NEC and it was not! It cost me £12 for a taxi from Birmingham International.

Staff were very helpful. Very comfortable.

The food in Marco's was very poor and had to be left. We had the fish, the batter was so thick that it was still raw underneath and the fish was full of bones. When our plates were cleared the staff never asked if everything had been ok.

Great friendly staff. Good comfy beds

I would like there to be a bar where dogs were allowed so we could have eaten and had access to a full menu. We could only sit in the lobby area at low tables and could only order from the light bites menu. Our room only had one set of towels. I'm sure the hotel would have rectified this, but we were late going to our room and didn't want the fuss of contacting staff. As a hotel that welcomes dogs out would be a bonus to have a dog bin in the outside area.

The room was a good size and clean. The room was quiet and we couldn't hear any outside noise. Check in and out was quick and efficient. Staff were professional and polite. We could only choose a meal from the light bites menu but the fish and chips were very good.

Double bed as two twins pushed together, stains on the carpet, limited room service, tuna sandwich basically two slices of cheap bread with tuna in as you would make at home with vegetable chips. It was unpleasant and at £6:00 not worth it. Bathroom was not clean and the flow of water in the shower was pitiful of I didn't want a boiling hot or stone cold shower. For a total of £195 to stay with my dog it was exceptionally poor value for money and disappointing. For that price I have stayed in deluxe hotels with half board which included 3 course fine dining. Not an experience to be repeated for that price. Had I paid £50-£60 I would have been less disappointed.

They accepted dogs.

Room service menu was poor. The sandwiches were pretty awful thick white packet bread, plastic ham and tasteless cheese, no napkins. Extractor fan in bathroom didn't work. No lift although parking at back meant we were on same level. Parking very tight.

Very comfortable bed. Room service was, in the end very good, (see below). Asking for non-menu items for dinner on 3rd night was not a problem, together with bacon sandwiches next morning. Very obliging.

Heating not working in our room, they brought a fan heater which lasted half an hour then went off! However they did replace with another heater!

Friendly staff good location for Nec , nice village ,

Shower difficult to work - kept jumping between cold and scalding hot and the knob came off in my hand.

Very comfy bed Asthetically pleasing reception Polite staff

There was no lift which I think was bad. Had too haul 5 heavy bags luggage up two sets of stairs. Also there was no bedside table on one side of the double bed which made it difficult having to use the floor my side. I did report this, so I was assured there should’ve been one there.

No WIFI and poor mobile phone reception in our room.

Easy access to the NEC, comfortable clean rooms, staff very helpful, and the food in the restaurant was excellent. Added bonus is that pets are allowed.

No lift. Bedroom had no central heating so they had just left a really cheap electric radiator in the room. No bottles of water in room.

It is a nice comfortable but busy hotel and a little out of the way. The bar staff are excellent. We didn't use the restaurant.

The hotel served for a short stay so I don't really have any complaints about the place as the staff were so helpful and the hotel overall was pretty decent although perhaps a little overpriced.

Bed was comfy, reception staff very friendly, cheerful and helpful as were the people working on the bar. The hotel literally has a button to press for a taxi service, so it was so so easy to get to the airport, close to the airport but not overcrowded, a quiet and comfortable hotel.

We had to pay full price £10.95 for the kids and one is 7 and only had toast. Not good value for money ☹ at £47 for the family!

They got us fresh eggs.

No phone signal anywhere in the hotel. The car park fills up very quickly.

Good value, high quality, close to the NEC. Good free wifi. Helpful and courteous staff.

I did find a stain on one of pillows which looked blood-like. I'm not the sort to complain about one minor detail as I did have 4 pillows to myself.

The service was fantastic, the rooms were spacious and clean. Coffee was provided in the rooms which is always nice. Restaurant / breakfast area was fantastic.

• Standard Twin Room

The rooms were definitely not to the same standard as the main hotel area - felt a bit tired in the rooms which was a huge contrast from the modern reception and bar area!

Staff were very friendly

Having booked in to the restaurant two weeks previously to be told on arrival at restaurant in evening that someone else was at your table but they'd be finished soon! OK, but 20 minutes later having to find someone to find out if we could be seated and to be shown to a table that hadn't even been occupied in the first place - not very impressed. On three occasions on arriving back at room the key card did not function so had to go all the way back to reception to re-program card. First time - these things happen, second time told not to keep near mobile phone - OK I did have the card with my phone and third time told it was because the system thought it was 11 o'clock and checkout time (it was 10 o'clock). Talking to another couple they had had the same experience as us with the key card. Clearly a problem with the system that needs attention.

The room was nice, large comfy bed. Staff friendly and helpful on the whole. Plenty of free parking available. NEC only a 10-15 minute drive down the road.

Had trouble finding a parking space, had to park on a grass verge to the rear of hotel although the car park was a good size.

Nice big bed. Lovely bed linen.

The heating in the room was not working, we had to request a fan heater The breakfast buffet was not refilled often enough, there was a lot of waiting around. I ordered poached eggs , asking twice but did not receive them, so the rest of my meal was then cold.

• Standard Twin Room

I couldn't fault anything. The restaurant was full on Sat night but that's our fault for not booking earlier!

Clean and not at all shabby. Great design of interiors. Lovely restaurant and bar. Great smoking area with tables and heating.

The food in the restaurant could have been better and the service too. We asked for a side order with our meal and never received it even though we asked several times!! Also the starters were expensive for what they were and not what you expected from the descriptions on the menu.

The room was comfortable and clean. Good location for the NEC. Could do with updating.

Browse Best Western Plus Manor Hotel NEC Birmingham traveller photo gallery