Reviews of The Northfield House Hotel 3 stars

115 Lasswade Road, Edinburgh, EH16 6UD, United Kingdom

#18 of 138 hotels in Edinburgh

9.7

Had to pay extra for breakfast which was only a continental .and found it very expensive

Very friendly staff rooms spotless clean though a little dated

Internet coverage / speed could be improved but better than most hotels

Excellent food; great staff; good value for money; clean and comfortable rooms

• Family Room with Bathroom

Nothing. Could not have been better.

The room was perfect for our family of four. The hosts went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. They even drove our in-laws to the airport to get their lost luggage, and took my son's golf clubs to our final destination so that we did not have to drive with them on the rest of our trip.

My only issue was that the restaurant isn't open on Mon & Tues evening - which I didn't know about until after making the booking. If I had been aware of this, I wouldn't have booked. As a female travelling alone, I like to have eating facilities on site.

Staff really friendly and helpful. Due to restaurant not opening on Mon and Tues evening, the owner went out of her way to make me a sandwich on arrival.

The mattress in room 2 wasn’t great, it slopes into the middle from both sides making it difficult for two to sleep comfortably.

Staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is handily situated for an easy bus ride into the centre of Edinburgh. Ample and easy parking. Room was quiet despite facing quite a busy road.

Excellent Hotel. Unfortunately our stay was not long enough, but we would like to stay longer and enjoy Edinburgh as it deserves. In the hotel we found comfortable beds, nice space, very friendly staff and perfectly clean place! We want to go back.

Excellent Hospitality. Family run. Superb restaurant- Clean, excellent service with really good food. 15 minutes from Prince's Street via Public transport which was very reliable and cheap. Free parking in the Hotel Car Park. Highly recommended Will definitely be returning

• Family Room with Bathroom

We had the family room. Just to be able to walk out from our room without going through reception area would be advantageous. .but understand why the door was locked.

Richard Senior and Junior and Michelle were one of the most hospitable people we have ever met in our lives!

Nothing really. It suited my requirements of a comfortable bed for the night at a good price. Issues with connecting to internet.

Very pleasant staff, comfortable bed, quiet room, went out of their way to cater for my dietary requirements.

The hosts were wonderful and lovely people who made sure I had everything I needed. The place is great because it’s right next to the bus station so even if it’s out of the city it is very easy to get there.

As we only checked in and left to attend the rugby cannot rely comment other than check in was smooth staff very friendly only downside was on returning to hotel hoping to have a night cap before bed the hotel was locked up for the evening slightly disappointed on saying this we would return and recommend to friends a gem of a find on bus route into city

Only one thing was that the light in my room was flickering although I didn’t spend much time in the room so this wasn’t much of an issue to me.

Staff were really friendly and couldn’t do enough. Breakfast was lovely.

There was nothing to dislike.

Everything from the warm welcome to the spotlessly clean rooms. One of the best. This place is a treasure. I left there feeling like I had left old friends. Nothing was too much trouble.

There was no local information folders in the room or info about the shower and extractor fan switches. Not a complaint but a suggestion.

We liked our room. It had all that we needed. We were sorry their restaurant was closed but we were directed elsewhere. There was enough parking. It was a very good overnight stay.

Very minor things but plug in bathroom was broken and kettle wouldn't fit under tap.

I booked this for my parents and they were delighted with it. Michelle was an excellent host and they had a very good night's sleep. Nice views in quiet suburban location. Comfy bed and spotlessly clean. Perfect temperature.

Third time we’ve been to this hotel, lovely family run hotel and all staff pleasant and really friendly, food lovely, no issues whatsoever! Would defiantly recommend

Staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating, room was small but had everything you needed. Breakfast was good all in all if you're looking for a place to stay in Edinburgh near to centre look no further than the Northfield.

a warm welcome by all on the desk during my stay. the room was smallish but very comfortable and clean. a great breakfast .the hotel was within easy reach to what I wanted.

Nothing bothered me in my stay honestly.

The stay was comfortable, clean and spacious room, the host Micheal was amazing and beyond hospital. Definitely coming back when I visit Edinburgh again.

toilet roll holder was hard to reach (Wrong position)

Room was clean modern and comfortable and extremely quiet considering it was next to the bar the bathroom had a shower screen . Breakfast was lovely

Was quite hard to get a good temperature in the shower,either too hot or too cold, apart this it was a good room!!!

Staff where extremely friendly, very clean room!!

Very nice personell, bus station right in front of the hotel (easy way to the city center in approx. 15min), enough parking lots in front of the hotel, comfortable beds, nice bathroom

There was nothing i didn't like!

Very friendly owners that went out of their way to help. Fantastic breakfast, with plenty of choice. Bus stop straight outside the accommodation, that takes you into Edinburgh within 10/15 minutes.

Wi-Fi was not consistant, much slower at night.

Bus stop right out front. Friendly, helpful staff. Clean everywhere. Plenty of towels. Bedding that looked brand new. The food was excellent.

• Family Room with Bathroom

This is managed by a family so they always want money for everything and very rigid. No shops near by. City center is very far. The bus takes lots of time to come to the stop and it takes time to go to the city center. WIFI is free but only for two device.

The family room was comfortable.

A very clean, comfortable room and spacious bathroom. Plenty of room for luggage and desk space. The breakfast was beautifully cooked and there was a range of cereals, yoghurts and juices to help ourselves to too. The evening meal was well worth returning for from the centre of Edinburgh - it was nice to have a glass of wine and know that our bed was only a few paces away. Richard and Michelle were friendly, most helpful and very welcoming. The bus ride (number 31 bus) into the centre - lots to see from the top deck - took about 20 minutes and ran very regularly. We hope to return!

There is a restaurant downstairs so it can get loud but for me it was fine

Comfortable hotel with good traditional Scottish breakfast. The staff was very helpful good quality for the price very close to bus stop and supermarket

• Family Room with Bathroom

The location was a little farther outside of the city centre than we thought but the bus stop directly in front of the property was so convenient the distance was not an issue

The staff were very helpful- gave us great tips on travelling into town

Despite the fact that I requested late check-in and I was told that it will be extra charge, I got there on 1:30am and knocking on the door for 45 minutes and no one opened the door. I was traveling with my bicycle and I clearly communicated this to the hotel in advance. I am very disappointed with their service and I never recommend a hotel like this to anyone.

Prices did feel high, but I think this is the 'going rate' for Edinburgh in the summer. The hotel is a bit old fashioned - the decor isn't particularly modern or high class - but that didn't matter much to us. Everything was clean and functional.

Good location for visiting the city without the hassle of being right in the city centre. (Cheap bus ride from a stop immediately outside the hotel). Decent service from friendly staff; breakfast was good. I'd be happy to go back there.

Nothing in particular

Nice space & clean rooms, friendly and very accommodating host. We had not had access to doing laundry for a couple of days and the host very kindly offered to get this done in the hotel.

Can't think of anything negative.

Friendly, helpful hosts. There is a bus stop across the street that goes directly to city centre. So very helpful not to have to find parking in town, or to walk a mile before getting to the R.M. The breakfast was great and hosts very helpful about suggesting places to dine in the evening.

We were sorry their cafe' wasn't open on the Monday evening we were there. But, understand everyone needs a day off.

The location was right across from the bus stop into town. Didn't know that prior to getting there and asking the hosts. They should list that in their description of their location. A real plus for us not to have to locate parking at city centre and pay the ridiculous prices!!

Nothing, it was a lovely place

Staff were lovely, very welcoming and eager to help with all our needs. Homely atmosphere, and lovely conversation sitting in bar with other customers

Nice large room to fit all four of us, with en suite. Nice breakfast. Only stayed one night, going from Skye to Belfast so can't give too detailed a review. Staff were very nice.

Sadly the Restaurant is closed Monday and Tuesday evening, which I wasn't aware of when I booked. However, if you stay on either of these nights, there is a great place just 1.4 miles away called the Stable Bar, very scenic, fabulous food and very well priced.

The Staff couldn't do enough for you, so helpful and friendly. The Bedroom was very spacious, and clean, with double aspect Windows, so plenty of light and view. The Breakfast was fabulous, plenty to eat and lots of choice.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

• Family Room with Bathroom

Its only a minor point, but I would have liked to see a breakfast menu rather than try to think what I wanted for breakfast.

This was a perfect couple of nights in Edinburgh in a lovely quiet location of the city which was well serviced with regular buses. The staff were second to none, we cycled to Edinburgh from home, stopping at many guest houses along the way, and this one was one of the best we stayed at. Room was large even for 3 persons (I was with my two adult daughters). Facilities were superbly appointed, cared for, and clean. Our bicycles were well cared for too, which always makes a stay somewhere more comfortable as I didnt have to worry about the bikes at all.

• Family Room with Bathroom

Extremely friendly staff who make you feel at home right away. The room was super tidy, clean and very spacious. Would definitely recommend to anyone else.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

The staff were very friendly, the rooms were clean. Although we didn't have any food, the food we saw other people getting looked lovely, was a shame we didn't have time to make the most of the restaurant or breakfast.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

The fact they put me in a room with my 2 young kids didn't get much sleep with being right next to bar and was very noisy so kids were up and down all night definitely not worth the money plus I payed for the room to have one double bed a single bed and travel cot and what I got was 2 single beds and a travel cot witch wasn't happy about

The staff were lovely

That we had to go home :-(

I loved it because there was loads of room to crawl about, the room was clean and comfortable and the owners made a fuss of me giving me milk and toast and made my mummy a nice pot of tea after a busy day. Written by Ewen (aged nearly one)

• Family Room with Bathroom

The room was clean and spacious. I could tell that it had been recently renovated. We had a very nice dinner at the restaurant, and the breakfast was great. The service was very good, and we felt that it was a very good value for our money. It is bit outside of the city, but this was a plus for us as we were driving out the next day. It did appear that there was a bus stop right across the street. In addition, the wifi worked great!

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

Connection to the free Wi-Fi service, didn't work for me - but it did for our daughter.

We liked the idea that staying at the Northwich Hotel alleviated our need to find somewhere else for an evening meal. Staying in for an evening meal, did not feel like a compromise, as the restuarant facilities had the ambience, feel and menu choice of a much larger venue than you would expect from a relatively small B&B.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

Everything was perfectly satisfactory.

Great value for money, clean, comfortable, warm and friendly. Perfect facilities for parking and only a couple of miles out of town.

• Reviewed: 19 January 2017

• Family Room with Bathroom

A comfortable chair or two would have been appreciated. No breakfast served before 8am makes this hotel unsuitable for a business traveller needing to be in the middle of Edinburgh before 9am

Very friendly and helpful staff. The room was clean and warm with a large, modern flat screen TV. Lots of free on-site parking. Northfield House is not expensive and thus very good value for money.

• Reviewed: 12 January 2017

All staff friendly and helpful and made us feel welcome. Convenient situation to the City Bypass by car, and for town centre either by car or bus (No. 31 bus stop is right outside the hotel). Up to date furnishings throughout the hotel. Good cooked breakfast with all the trimmings.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Family Room with Bathroom

There wasn't anything that we did not like.

+Hostess /owner Michelle was very nice and welcoming. +Travelling with young family, bedroom and breakfast facilities perfect for us. +Beds were very comfortable and pillows fluffy in a large fresh clean room. +Breakfast was plentiful and yummy. + Bus stop directly outside hotel and frequent service, easy trip to city centre and attractions. +Safe off road free parking for car. +Fast Wi-Fi. Definitely would stay again.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Loved it!

They make you feel welcomed in anyway they can. Really enjoyed my stay here. A bit far from old town but there is a bus station right at door step.

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

We are acouple in our 50's and stayed on Mon 14/11/16 for 5 nites. When we arrived the resturant was closed due to the season, when asked where we could go for a lite bite the owner offered to russle up some sandwiches! cant get better than that. The owners and staff were very friendly and helpfull, top marks. We had an excelent stay.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Where shall I begin? The Northfield House Hotel is right next to a bus stop of the 31, going straight into the city to Princes Street. This is perfect to discover the city on foot, while your car is parked at the hotel. The staff of the Northfield House Hotel is super friendly. Very helpful! Breakfast was very good. The room was comfy, the bed was nice, shower and bath okay. We had a very pleasant time here.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

Not a very varied choice for vegan breakfast.

Very friendly welcome and other great tips to get around. Super comfy bed. Great that the toilet/bath had a separate entrance rather than out of the room.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2016

We loved this place! Super sad to not be able to stay longer. The breakfast was so amazing and delicious. Very generous too! Beds were comfy and clean and warm. Staff were very nice and welcoming, and didn't mind keeping a very large camping package for us. We had a rental car but there was a bus stop just outside to go into the centre of Edinburgh. Highly recommended!!

• Reviewed: 24 September 2016

Was surprised that breakfast was not included (was possibly an oversight on my behalf) and thought £8 rather high so I declined.

Room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Staff were courteous and friendly. Great location with good parking and handy for where I needed to be. Had dinner in the restaurant which was good.

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

Staff members very helpful and friendly. Hotel very clean in all guest areas. Dinner and breakfast could not be faulted. A nice pleasant atmosphere. would recommend to friends.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

The owner is very friendly and very helpful. Bus stop is in front of the hotel so it is very easy to go to the city center where the Castle and most of the other attractions are located. Costs a fraction of other hotels in Edinburgh, yet very comfortable. Clean room.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

Very friendly welcome, nice freshly cooked breakfast. Great shower room. Very clean. Good sized twin room. Handy for the centre of Edinburgh on the bus.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

The location is far from town, nothing within walking distance, but a nice hotel if a hotel is all you need. NO BLOW DRYER, no staff in hotel to ask until later in the morning, every place else we've stayed had one.

Pleasant staff, nice room, comfortable.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Friendliness, service, food, comfort, location. Brilliant place, nothing was too much trouble. Bus stop right outside to city centre, every 10 mins up to midnight.

Breakfasts is not served til 8am

Helpful friendly team. Very clean and comfy room

Bed

People, shower, size of room.

Bathroom fan a light did not work and were not repaired when we notified staff. The toilet was also very difficult to flush.

Mattress could use an upgrade but was still comfortable

Spacious room, clean facilities, extremely friendly staff

All

Too far from cbd and tourist spots

Comfy bed!

Some previous guest must have smoked in room however staff helped remove smell asap

Outside of busy Edinburgh but very accessible

The shower room was very spacious. Loved the garden and conservatory.

Service was sublime and made very welcome. Food quality and very nice room. An absolute gem of a place.

There was nothing we did not like.

Owners, rooms, facilities and meals were all exceptional. Highly recommended.

Comfortable bed, Quiet location and on bus route.

Convenience of bus stop outside the hotel to city. Loved the hotel

Our hosts

• Family Room with Bathroom

Clean, comfortable, practical, friendly staff, excellent breakfast.

All good

Very friendly welcome, good location,

Very friendly staff and nice atmosphere comfort bed

Not great area Old fashioned rooms and hotel No desk in room for business travellers.

Parking on site Friendly staff