2. UK hotel reviews

Reviews of The Old Bank 5 stars

91-94 High Street, Oxford, OX1 4BJ, United Kingdom

#4 of 41 hotels in Oxford

9.7

Read more- opens a dialog box

Showing 1 – 75

• Reviewed: 20 June 2019

Great stay, beautiful place and location. Check road closures before trying to find their parking.
    • Small Double Room

Description of how to get to the hotel. Many of the roads were shut down and GPS was difficult to get to where we needed.

Perfect location, great bar/restaurant next door. Included parking which was a huge bonus, just difficult to get to initially. Once in town, there's not really a better location.

Stayed in June 2019

• Reviewed: 28 May 2019

Wish i could have stayed longer
    • Classic Double Room

A pleasure to stay at. The hotel was able to accomodate all special requests as this was a getaway for a birthday where they provided cake and decorations etc. Room was clean and of quality and in a beautiful location of Oxford.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2019

Excellent location, cleanliness, free parking (be careful of...
    • Classic Twin Room

Service is mixed, between warmth (Tatiana) and snobbishness. Did not deliver the papers to me everyday. Had to ask for two out of three days’ stay there.

Excellent location, cleanliness, free parking (be careful of pigeon droppings though!)

• Reviewed: 13 May 2019

• Classic Double Room

It was very difficult getting into the car park as we have a large car but excellent that you have a car park!

The bed was very comfy, all staff were excellent, food delicious, cleanliness and upkeep exceptional. Thank you for a luxury stay.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2019

First class hotel in the heart of Oxford.
    • Superior Deluxe Double Room

No bath tub but shower was excellent. Our room was very quiet however windows are not double glazed so outside noise in other areas of hotel could potentially be an issue.

Beautiful room, bedding excellent quality, staff very friendly, restaurant excellent food, good service. Hotel recently refurbished to excellent standard. In centre of town off the High Street, AND there is an on-site car park which seems to be rare in central Oxford. Definitely worth another visit. As a former Alumnus it was a refreshing and nostalgic visit to old haunts.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2019

It was a lovely hotel
    • Classic Double Room

It was a lovely hotel Room & bathroom very spacious Staff surprised us with a bottle of champagne in our room for my partners birthday. Lovely surprise.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2019

We only stayed for one night but it was one of the best...
    • Classic Double Room

We only stayed for one night but it was one of the best hotels we have stayed in, cleanliness was excellent, staff lovely, very comfortable, fantastic.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2019

Room was excellent however other services were a let down which made it expensive for the experience
    • Superior Deluxe Double Room

The breakfast service was poor. The dining room had only four occupied tables yet we had to ask three times for our food and when it arrived, it was cold so we sent it back. I advised the front desk.

Location was great; rooms were large and modernised and it was very quiet.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2019

Definitely would comeback and recommend to family and friends.
    • Deluxe Room - Disability Access

Liked everything

We enjoyed everything about The Old Bank Hotel. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Great location, creative food In restaurant with friendly wait staff.

• Reviewed: 10 April 2019

This is a lovely, well located hotel. I would definitely stay there again.
    • Small Double Room

I really can’t think of anything I would improve. Because of the hotel extending to two different buildings there are some steps which could be an issue for accessibility.

The room was beautifully appointed, with fresh flowers. The staff was excellent and the location was amazing. The hotel is filled with original art.

• Reviewed: 5 April 2019

location central on high street ,rooms very quiet and cosy...
    • Small Double Room

location central on high street ,rooms very quiet and cosy with all facilities including free water ,coffee etc including fresh milk! Breakfast and other meals/bar in adjoining Quod restaurant with excellent food and service.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2019

Lovely weekend in Oxford but very dissapointed with the room we were given.
    • Classic Double Room

The room was a big disappointment for us. We were located right next to the lift on the 3rd floor!! There were 2 doors to open before we entered the room........the room was so tiny and for the price of £320 per night I didn't think this was acceptable!! We are regular visitors to Oxford and have stayed in many 5 star hotels, this was the most expensive in Oxford but unfortunately didn't meet our expectations!! I feel like we were given a sub standard room, I did mention this to the receptionist but didn't have any luck with changing our room!!

The hotel was lovely and the location was great with the added bonus that there is free parking. The staff were really friendly.

• Reviewed: 1 April 2019

Fantastic Hotel in a Wonderful City!
    • Classic Double Room

Absolutely FANTASTIC hotel where the staff could not do more to be helpful, friendly and make it a memorable stay!! Location is perfect, rooms and hotel impeccably clean and well maintained. All is all a wonderful experience where you feel truly special!!

• Reviewed: 30 March 2019

really enjoyable but questions about the VFM
    • Deluxe Double Room

For £400 for one night (room only) I expected it to be top drawer. It was lovely, but I felt it just didnt just live up to the price premium. We ordered breakfast in the room which came without coffee. The fella immediately went and got some tho which was good. On checking out we left without the disk to get out of the car park, so had to come back to ask for it. Thought someone might have given it to us. Point is I wouldnt normally even bother about little details like this but the whole stay including dinner and breakfast cost £550 for one night. I expect the ball to be knocked out of the park for that.

Location fantastic, facilities great, staff v. helpful, food good, particularly the breakfast. Restaurant was lively and the bar staff really good to talk to. Particularly the girl from Cuba and the guy from Italy.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2019

Excellent Stay
    • Superior Deluxe Double Room

The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. There was a sign when we drove into the car park with my name on it. The hotel room was comfortable and very clean. I had a great nights sleep and the shower was excellent with a seat. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2019

A great overnight stay in a luxury hotel
    • Deluxe Twin Room

The pillows!! One was too small and two were too large! Also the beds were very hard! Other than that - a great hotel

All my requests were dealt with ahead of time - the bathroom was particularly fantastic

• Reviewed: 10 March 2019

The staff friendly and helpful.
    • Classic Double Room

A bit over priced and no breakfast included in the room. A lovely hotel but I feel we could get better value elsewhere.

The staff friendly and helpful. The feel and artwork. The bathroom lovely. Good service . We were part of a private event in the private dining room on the 9th March, our waitress was fantastic , very professional and attentive. Being able to park.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2019

Great location, clean with friendly staff
    • Classic Twin Room

Room and bathroom were functional but small. We only stayed for one night and so it was fine but would start to feel cramped if it were a longer stay.

Great location, clean with friendly staff

• Reviewed: 28 February 2019

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. Excellent !!!

Absolutely nothing.

Everything ! The decor, the welcome, the bedroom, the restaurant. Everything about this hotel says "I care for my guests". Excellent job.

• Reviewed: 27 February 2019

100% enjoyable hotel, food and City of Oxford unique.
    • Classic Double Room

Lack of sound absorbing fabric in restaurant tended to increase volume of sound.

Tasty and ample and staff very co-operative and once the ice was broken very communicative

• Reviewed: 23 February 2019

Staying at the hotel made our trip to Oxford
    • Classic Twin Room

The only thing I didn't like was having to leave!

Excellent service, hotel was in exception condition, car parking offered, very good restaurant, fun library/games room

• Reviewed: 22 February 2019

Enjoyed it
    • Classic Twin Room

It’s silly but breakfast butter too cold to spread and a little more than 1 pat at a time so there is no need to ask for more! Realise it needs to be kept cool but very hard to use on toast! Plus spare hot water pot for use with pot of tea would have been good for me.

The immaculate deluxe bathroom with no sign of any wear and tear. The art in room and around hotel.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2019

Excellent hotel, food, location and staff. Avoid drunks in the library

The drink service in the library was very poor. Waited nearly 45 mins for a drink despite us reminding the staff. And again after dinner the wait was over 20 mins. Also the whiskey measures served do not correspond with the measures advertised

All the staff in the red room and again for breakfast were extremely polite and helpful

• Reviewed: 15 February 2019

Bkfst was not included, The Quad restaurant is part of the...
    • Classic Double Room

The only problem - rooms are very small and I would find it hard to stay there with my wife if ever

Bkfst was not included, The Quad restaurant is part of the hotel and we had an excellent dinner.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2019

Very Good facilities, frustrating policy.
    • Small Double Room

I was forced to pay in advance 50£/night of stay, in case I use something from the minibar or have breakfast in the morning. I was told from the receptionists that if I refused to pay this amount of money then I will have to leave, the time I checked-in was already 22:30 so I had not the strength to look for another hotel, nor the money (because I would be refunded in several days after, as I had pre-paid my stay). Also, this was not mentioned via the booking.com website when I pre-paid for the room. This is unacceptable.

The facilities were very good and very clean.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2019

Everything about this hotel is fantastic - a luxury yet...

Nothing! At all..

Everything about this hotel is fantastic - a luxury yet friendly and nothing-too-much-trouble experience. The bed is a highlight, you just melt into it..... Breakfast delicious and lunch too.... Cannot wait to return....

• Reviewed: 19 January 2019

A lovely hotel!
    • Small Double Room

The mattress could have been more comfortable but I guess it is a question of preference. Bed otherwise excellent. Overall a great stay!

I had a really lovely room and a beautiful bathroom. Excellent quality shower. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The food was amazing and the location right at the centre! Overall a really great stay and will definitely be back!

• Reviewed: 11 January 2019

Excellent as close to everything I wanted. 5 minutes walk to the shopping centre.
    • Small Double Room

Superb location. Have stayed there before & it has a secure off road car park. Staff are excellent & very efficient. Restaurant next door is super too although can be pricey but great treat for a special occasion.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2019

Excellent and very comfortable
    • Classic Double Room

The end was incredibly comfortable and the bathrooms facilities were very good with a big bath and the location was perfect. Staff were also very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2018

• Small Double Room

The 12% service charge in the restaurant, wasn’t clear on the menu, staff were excellent in the restaurant, food disappointing , expected better quality and more choice on the menu

Hotel was exceptional, staff very welcoming and helpful, room was upgrade it was amazing, partner birthday and a note was left to wish him a happy birthday with a small gift of macaroons, wonderful!!!

• Reviewed: 19 December 2018

Newly renovated room was very comfortable with well-thought...
    • Classic Double Room

Only gripe - being charged a £50 pre-authorisation which was then not used to pay for some of the breakfast bill over the two days we stayed. This process could have been much simpler rather than the multiple transactions that had to be done.

Newly renovated room was very comfortable with well-thought out facilities for guests. A lot of time and effort has clearly gone into the redesign and redecoration of the rooms. Breakfast was very good and generally, the staff manning Reception were friendly, approachable and knowledgable about Oxford.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2018

Great location, staff couldn’t do more.
    • Classic Double Room

Parking was an issue but it was probably our fault as we didn’t ring a reserve a bay and we arrived at Sunday lunchtime before Christmas so it was a very busy period.

Great location, staff couldn’t do more. Great stay. Will definitely return. Everything in walking distance.

• Reviewed: 17 December 2018

Very enjoyable and will be back
    • Classic Double Room

In such a great area for Real Ale may I suggest the Hotel could offer this pleasure to customers in the near future.

Very nice room, excellent shower. Although for the price I would have preferred not to be facing on office building from the window. Excellent breakfast

• Reviewed: 5 December 2018

Very lovely room for a less than average hotel experience
    • Deluxe Twin Room

Didn’t like our ground floor room Each morning we were woke up by passers by and pick ups/ delivery’s to the ground floor bar Lobby too small, for the price of the hotel rooms. The residents reading room is lovely, sadly no one showed it to us when we checked in and I only discovered it the morning we checked out. Very poor service on that point. The bar restaurant felt detached from the hotel, almost like it was not part of the hotel experience.

Decor and art/ paintings Restaurant / bar

• Reviewed: 3 December 2018

THE only place to stay in Oxford

nothing!

Always my go to hotel in Oxford, it’s location is perfect. Staff are the best and hotel is just so beautiful and clean. Added bonus this time as it was Christmas was the light display outside the hotel, so beautiful and the little wooden christmas decorations on every door was a lovely touch.

• Reviewed: 1 December 2018

Superb location.
    • Classic Twin Room

It’s expensive considering breakfast isn’t included, but Oxford is an expensive place.

Superb location. Immaculate, comfortable room. Complementary parking is a huge bonus in Oxford.

Stayed in November 2018

• Reviewed: 26 November 2018

Good but staff could have been more friendly and some could have had better english.
    • Classic Twin Room

The staff were not extra friendly often didn't understand what we were asking, service slow a little offhand.

The bed was very comfy, bathroom good, loved the library.

Stayed in November 2018

• Reviewed: 27 October 2018

Location location location

Because of the location it is preferable not to drive in. Take the train and save yourself the headache.

The location is perfect, the hotel, the restaurant and staff very very good. Definitely a place to return.

• Reviewed: 23 October 2018

Great hotel right in the centre if a little expensive
    • Classic Double Room

Beautiful room, very modern and very clean. Fantastic shower. Location is superb, opposite St Mary's church and with various colleges on all sides.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2018

Always my hotel of choice in Oxford, staff are helpful,...
    • Classic Twin Room

Nothing, or I wouldn't keep going back, month after month.

Always my hotel of choice in Oxford, staff are helpful, location is perfect, hotel has bikes for use by guests, water provided in room along with coffee and fresh milk.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

tasteful and good location hotel

none

The location is absolutely superb. All the famous buildings are in walking distance. And the employees here are very willing to help. The way to the parking is little tricky. But the employee helped us out. No to mention the design of the hotel is quite tasteful.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Pricey but nicey
    • Classic Twin Room

The room was very small. Not enough tea bags. Complimentary newspaper never arrived. Fridge stocked with goodies but only the water was free.

Large shower enclosure. Great location. Free parking.

Gorgeous hotel in a fabulous location but a little expensive.
    • Classic Double Room

Our rate for one night was very expensive and breakfast not included in this rate. Dinner in the restaurant was average.

Delicious croissants for breakfast. Very comfortable bed and lovely room.

Worth it if you want a luxury stay
    • Classic Double Room

We were placed next door to the construction which started at 8:40! Not the best for a relaxing stay.

Good service, staff couldn’t do enough for us. Brilliant parking and for free in the centre of Oxford.

Location is the best for this property , friendly staff
    • Deluxe Double Room

The room and facilities in the room, definitely are not at a 5 stars especially for the value payed, but being generous I give this hotel almost 4 stars .

Location is the best for this property , friendly staff

Comfort, clean and fantastic setting.
    • Classic Double Room

A very nice personal touch was our name on the reserved car space. We were also upgraded to a deluxe room with a view onto the high street, which was wonderful.

Excellent hotel in ideal position- will return.
    • Small Double Room

what was there not to like Breakfast in room ( due to size of room had to use case support for tray and balance on edge of bed) Should have gone to dining room!

room was very small but adequate (we knew this when we booked) .Bed was very comfortable, parking was good, all the staff were excellent ( helpful, polite and informative).

Ok but the worst value for money I have experienced whether in the UK or abroad.
    • Classic Double Room

The room was small - particularly at the high price. There was no bath. The air conditioning could only be "high' or "low" - no actual temperature control.The view from the room was onto a wall and roof - a roof with 3 ventilation/air conditioning units which ran constantly. Restaurant service was poor and the menu limited.

The staff were helpful and friendly and on site car parking and free WIFI were useful.

Would recommend the Old Bank for all the reasons mentioned.
    • Classic Twin Room

We would have liked a sofa area to relax with a drink lafter our meal. Had to go to the Library ☹️. Food a little pricey.

Super friendly staff throughout. Buzzy atmosphere in the Quod. So central and parking on site.

Excellent location and good restaurant but coffee options not good enough!
    • Classic Double Room

The fact that the restaurant doesn’t stock Oatmilk and Almond milk as alternatives to normal milk for coffee etc. Many people who are lactose intolerant today - or are vegan - have moved on from soyamilk (which has a rather strong taste) onto Oatmilk (Oatley barista is readily available in grocery stores and long life variants too!) or Almond milk Unfortunately, we have to go out for breakfast if we want to stay there again

It’s a great location and we appreciate the parking facilities

A lovely hotel with great staff and a popular, even for a Monday night, restaurant.
    • Classic Double Room

If I am pushed to say one negative it is that the air con was a little noisy.

The Quod restaurant was excellent value and the menu choice was great. Service was also excellent. Friendly and helpful. In fact all of the staff could not have been more helpful.

The Old Bank is a beautiful hotel with excellent staff and stunning views.
    • Small Double Room

The women at the front desk (reception) were fabulous! I was unexpectedly upgraded and my room was beautiful. I have stayed at The Old Parsonage and was always curious about The Old Bank but the pictures did not appear as inviting. I have to say that I was highly impressed and actually prefer The Old Bank, but love both properties. Like The Old Parsonage, they too have a private library and it is lovely. I highly recommend this hotel and its sister property.

• Deluxe Double Room

We were in Oxford celebrating our daughters 21st. Everyone at the Old Bank were so helpful with lunch on the Sunday and then Brunch on the Monday morning.

I enjoyed my three night stay .

The mattress in my room was not comfortable

I enjoyed my three night stay . The staff are super helpful . I loved the location . I enjoyed the garden restaurant . My group tried many things in the menu all were excellent . Drinks were delicious . If I visit oxford again I will definitely stay at bank hotel and I will tell all my friends to book there. I had one negative thing and that was the mattress was high in The middle . We were exhausted everyday and nothing would have stopped us from sleeping . But the mattress definitely needed changing . However I have to mention that the linen and pillows were super comfy and soft and clean .

I liked the hotel and staff location and restaurant were excellent .

The mattress in my room was not comfortable

Partner birthday celebration
    • Classic Double Room

The hotel is in the process of some building work so unfortunately out of our bedroom Window all we could see of the wonderful oxford scenery was scaffolding and netting.

The Staff all provided excellent service and our all very friendly. I have to pay a particular mention to the evening reception staff on our arrival. After learning it was a special occasion, they left a lovely note and delicious treat in our room on our return. Very thoughtful and was very much appreciated! Many thanks

Oxford Jewel
    • Classic Double Room

The Office Manager Toby went above and beyond the call of duty to correct a booking.com mistake with our reservation. The "Quod" Restaurant was lively and delicious, and we ate there twice during our three day stay. The parking was critical for us, as the hotel's location is in the center of Oxford.

Good location !
    • Classic Twin Room

Room too small to put two big luggages. Room key too big to carry out, would be better to change to electric card. Electric kettle too small, need to boil a few times more. Better to have a plug besides the bed.

The shower is perfect. Location is good. I like the bathroom setting.

Wonderful location, great staff - highly recommend
    • Classic Double Room

The Old Bank is a fabulous hotel located in a wonderful location - easy to walk to everything in central Oxford. The rooms were luxurious and comfortable, with lovely art work in the room and hallways. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Quod restaurant was a great spot for lunch and dinner.

Such a great experience we cannot wait to return
    • Small Double Room

Nothing, seamless quality in every way.

The Hotel is simply excellent, true 5 star quality in all aspects. It is very hard to find a great 5 start Hotel in a historic location but this Hotel is fantastic in all ways. A great test of 5 star quality is the quality of detail in the accommodation and the service, we felt that we were welcomed to share an experience in this Hotel and nothing was too much trouble, thank you.

Fabulous location and interior design but with rather small rooms.
    • Classic Double Room

The attitude of the man (shaved head) who checked us in. I politely pointed out that despite their website stating it would be cheapest to book directly I had secured an equivalent room on Booking.com, at the same time, for £80 less. He appeared to disbelieve me and was unconcerned and unapologetic. When my back was turned he pulled an unpleasant face to his collegue which was witnessed by my son. This episode tainted our stay.

Location, restaurant, interior design and art work.

Excellently located lovely hotel with a fab energy and staff
    • Deluxe Double Room

wifi... bathtub... noise outside a generator kicked in at the unfriendliest hour of the morning

Bed insanely comfy. Restaurant wonderful and restaurant staff were excellent

Goood
    • Classic Double Room

Parking reservation under a tree. Following morning car completely covered in bird mess. Do no park under any tree in the hotel car park.

Very good clean rooms with good bar and restaurant facilities

The front desk staff was terrific and nice in every...
    • Superior Deluxe Double Room

The front desk staff was terrific and nice in every encounter we had with them. The books in the library were the best collection i’ve seen in a long time.

Great stay! Best staff of all!
    • Classic Twin Room

Huge thanks to the staff, friendly, helpful and extremely patient! No doubt the old bank has the best location in Oxford and it is only couple of minutes walk to basically everywhere. I will definitely book again when my parents come again next year

Well worth it!
    • Classic Twin Room

Nothing we didn't like. Great attention and care paid to every aspect of the hotel.

Brilliantly presented, clean, and friendly hotel in the heart of Oxford! We really enjoyed our time here, even if it was only a weekend. Definitely the best hotel to experience Oxford from and worth the money, in my view!

Apart from
    • Classic Twin Room

Building work going on at hotel just now so best to request a room away from workmen, also make sure to book a parking space as car park appeared to be full of work vans.

The Old Bank always my hotel of choice in Oxford, location, food, staff all excellent. Stayed there at least 10 times in last two years.

Place is really great and cosy, rooms comfortable.
    • Classic Double Room

Receptionists are kind but not so much helping. It is slightly overpriced to be in Oxford. A very positive experience though.

The hotel is great and cosy

Smart , attractive city centre abode with heaps of style.
    • Classic Double Room

Bed was too soft whilst linen was excellent. No drinks at bar after 11.

Location is unbeatable. Rooms extremely well appointed. Very cosmopolitan design in an antiquated city.

Great location in the centre of Oxford.
    • Classic Double Room

Getting to the parking area was interesting with traffic restrictions around central Oxford however staff were more than happy to help you get there over the phone. Property is positioned on a road frequented by emergency vehicles requiring lights and sirens however they seemed to stop(or at least turn off sirens) after 2200.

Great location in the centre of Oxford. Great staff and facilities

Super attentive staff!

The Old Bank is a beautiful and comfortable hotel and staff could not have been more helpful and attentive towards us, especially my disabled husband.

Perfect hotel in great location with the added bonus of a first class restaurant
    • Classic Twin Room

The room was on the small, slightly cramped side for the price

Lovely city centre hotel with secure, on site, free parking... perfect for our girls’ trip to Oxford. The meal in the lively restaurant was delicious. We arrived early and the staff made a big effort to get our room ready ASAP Would definitely go back

Disappointing!

I hate to say it but I thought this hotel was disappointingly overrated on this site. We booked because here because of the great ratings but found the rooms to be tiny, the halls that take you to the rooms are smelly (cigarette smoke, food) and have very creaky, uneven floors, the WiFi barely works in some of the rooms, and while dinner was surprisingly good, breakfast was unbelievably bad and quite pricey for what you got. $100 bought 4 people Eggs Benedict made with grocery store sliced deli ham and hollandaise sauce that was so lumpy that it had the texture of grits or watery risotto, one order of toast, and coffee/hot chocolate for all. The cost wouldn't have bugged me at all if not for the extremely poor quality food and neglectful, apathetic service that went with it. I will try another place next time!

Being right across the street from Oxford University makes the location really convenient. Dinner at the restaurant was better than expected, although a bit expensive. There's quite a bit of interesting artwork hung everywhere.

Amazing location and helpful staff, with great food in the downstairs restaurant!
    • Classic Twin Room

Once able to get inside the hotel parking was easy, as they assisted in directions. However, due to High Street not being accessible for part of the day, it was challenging to know how to get in initially.

The location and staff at this hotel are amazing!

Generally good, but room for improvement.
    • Small Double Room

The pillows were unpleasantly soft, so much so that I had to sleep on two pillows stacked on top of each other - and my neck still hurt the next day! I would've appreciated a dental kit being laid out in the bathroom instead of having to call reception to ask for it (which the excellent staff brought very quickly). The shower was also difficult to use, and slightly dodgy - scalding hot one minute and then freezing the next.

Great staff, and great location right in the centre of Oxford, a few minutes walk from the bus stop on High Street where airport buses let passengers off. Lovely tea and coffee provided. Very clean.

Showing 1 – 75

We Price Match
We Price Match
Low rates • No booking fees • Find cheaper? We'll refund the difference!