Reviews of The Old Barn 3 stars

Birmingham Road, Coleshill, B46 1DP, United Kingdom

#7 of 8 hotels in Coleshill

6.2

I did drive past the place a couple of times before I spotted the sign for it, so could maybe promote it a bit better.

Rooms were ideal and location for what I was doing was brilliant as very central to all roads I needed.

It was as we expected for the price no downside as far as we were concerened

Very friendly told us of impending train line which will result in demolition therefore not spending too much on the B&B. Reception excellent., breakfast excellent.

Cleanliness in the bathroom was poor,stains around the toilet area, hand written notes for wifi and faulty television. Breakfast at a specified time and no choice for breakfast just served up.

The location was very good for what I required.

The signage could have been better. It's set back from the road and wasn't easy to spot.

Lisa went above and beyond. I wouldn't hesitate to book here again.

The place was dirty/damp/mouldy, sheets & towels clean, but the bed was so uncomfortable, mattress like a chicken wire frame with a sheet on :( Lamp didn’t work (reading reviews it’s not worked for years) decor appalling, cobwebs, dripping toilet, black stain, stained floor, the place was gross.

The lady on reception was nice(she was the only part we liked)

No curb appeal Hand written signs sellotaped to the door Greeted by the cleaner as Reception as more like a store cupboard with a window in it The decoration was tired and the carpets had seen better days One of the of the twin bed bases was broken No chairs to sit on Bathroom was not particularly clean

Location to NEC

Hotel itself was poor, run down and fire extinguishers last checked in 2012 or 13, so not sure these would have been any use in a real emergency and I am sure not compliant!

The lady on reception was lovely and couldn't be more helpful, it seemed she had no support from the owner though. She made a lovely breakfast, although the vegetarian one was beans egg and toast only - could have been vege sausages etc.

The property is a little dated and tired on the inside Furnishings are very much at the budget end of the market, En-suite could do with a damned good clean

Great location if you are visiting the NEC Staff are very friendly, efficient and flexible, great communications. Lisa kept in touch with me at regular intervals on the run up to our stay. Good Breakfast

The woman gave away our keys to my friends parents without asking us even though we weren't staying with them or planned to see them the whole time Springs in mattress were broke

Could do with a fridge in rooms for self catering option

Receptionist/owner Lisa lovely. Helpful. Gave tips on best cheapest local taxis and where to go. Good breakfast thrown in for free to travel home. Free WiFi. Tea/coffee. Out of way but not too far from Birmingham International. Taxi cheaper than trains. Bargain price.

Very run down and needs redecorating. Uncomfortable that there didn't seem to be anyone in charge on the facility after they left in the evening.

Lady who met us was very pleasant and breakfast was lovely

Unfortunately the room wasn’t very clean apparently the hotel is being knocked down at some point due to HS2 but the owner doesn’t want to spend any money on it . The single bed was covered in dead flies down side of bed cobwebs on ceilings with flies in them , bathroom was dated and not particularly clean either ,carpets needed replacing. Did complain and wasn’t charged but shame it wasn’t better as member of staff who contacted me couldn’t apologise enough

Location wasn’t far from airport which was point of staying

The whole place would really appreciate some TLC and a bit of investment.

A pleasant stay at a hotel that has seen better days. The challenge is that it has a limited life span and it shows. That said the staff could not have been nicer and I was well looked after. The room was nice, tidy and pretty clean. For an overnight stay it was fine.

Bad smell of damp when arriving flush wouldnt work absolutely no go if you have dust allergie!! Furniture needed a deep clean stains didnt feel comfortable sitting or walking around with my bare feet! Also had poor sleep due to icthing and sneezing can only put that down to a very old mattress with years of dust mites yukkk breakfast wasnt great the bacon was so chewy you couldnt eat it

The toast

Decor needs updating & bathroom not great. The problem was the beds which were very uncomfortable. Very hard, not much bedding and extremely thin pillows. Didn't have a great night of sleep.

The staff member we dealt with was lovely and friendly. Great communication. Good location for us. We'd booked a twin room on booking.com, but on arrival, my friend found that we were in a double. It was sorted out quickly. Breakfast was good.

Although clean very dated. Acceptable for purpose of visit but would have been disappointed if staying there for any other reason. Barn gives the impression of quaint English retreat which this was not but could be with updating of decor and bathroom .

Was able to book at reasonable price last minute as snow coming down fast and did not want to leave travelling to airport till day of flight and risk missing my flight. Comfortable bed. Staff rang and very accommodating as would not be there until later than checking time. Very accommodating staff.

The room was very dirty - bathroom especially - I know my wife wouldn’t have stayed here as many areas looked like they hadn’t been cleaned in some time. The whole place looks like it is need of a makeover

Lisa the girl at the desk was great - very helpful.

It met my expectations . Am used to travelling abroad with nice hotels and all the trimmings . To be honest if it were a business trip I would stay in a smarter hotel but this was ok

Room was basic but clean . Staff was excellent and nice breakfast

The room smelt of raw sewage and the taps did not work. There was no socket next to the tea things or next to the mirror to use a hairdryer. I did not partake of breakfast as the smell in my room made me sick.

The girl on reception was very good and helpful.

Bed was hard and mattress was a bit cheap - but for one night perfectly acceptable

Receptionist was lovely Breakfast was fantastic Room was warm Bed was hard It was a £65 booking on a busy NEC day where other rooms around where £300+- I was greatful for the saving and tbh the place was better than I expected for the money on the day

Beds was very uncomfortable, bathrooms in both rooms that's was booked was not clean and rooms was in general not as clean as they could be. Very grotty, and did not even attempt to use shower. Also cobwebs over bath tubs in one of the rooms. Got charged more than booking.com price as well. Very disappointed.

Had Plenty Of Parking & Wifi

This place was difficult to find and we wish we hadn't The room smelt of tobacco smoke, the bed was uncomfortable, the furniture was tatty and falling to bits, the milk that was supplied for tea and coffee was well out of date and unusable. We had booked for 3 nights and left after 1.

the sheets and towels were clean

No hair dryer .

It's exactly what it is , cheap & basic but comfortable and friendly. I looked at pictures and made my own mind up , I do think a lot of the reviews I've read are quite harsh, you get what you pay for and on the up side it's very warm, very friendly, wholesome breakfast, coffee was a bit strong but not end of he world. We were made to feel very welcome and we will definitely be staying again. If you want top of the range go pay the price but if you want a comfortable warm place down to earth and friendly you could do a lot worse..

Grimy old bathroom, no complimentary toiletries, not even soap/handwash. No bed cover for the mattress. Price of room way too much for what you are presented with. Stayed in another place 10 minutes away which was far far better, less in price and closer to NEC/places to eat etc.

Location close to NEC

Very shabby and dated - it must be impossible to clean efficiently.

Receptionist extremely welcoming, helpful... and hardworking! Had stayed before so knew what to expect. Bed linen and towels clean and the room warm and cosy and had plentiful supply of tea, coffee, milks, etc. Easy access to NEC and Coleshill with it's variety of eating places. Very good value.

I appreciate it was older in decor etc but the shower door and corners were dirty, floor was dirty and lots of dust in room. Just a dam good clean required.

Breakfast was cooked just for you. On arrival, I was asked what time I would like my breakfast and it was ready both mornings at the time. Bed was comfy and warm. Very friendly staff, helped me find a place to eat on a Sunday evening, thank you

The heating did not work in our first room number 10 it was freezing and not very clean ,the lovely Lisa then moved us to room 9 where the heating did work but was on a timer so by the time we had started to thaw out it was back to putting every layer of clothing back on just to survive. Room 9 was however nice and clean looking apart from the pungent smell of vomit. By this time it was now to late to get out so we decided to squirt some deodorant and watch a bit of TV only to find it didn't work. I would advise anyone who's planning on staying at this squat to read trip advisor first because all the reviews are right

Lisa the receptionist was lovely

Overall the bathroom was tatty, with a leak from the cistern, cracks to the bath surround and a damaged shower curtain. The bedroom was clean however one of the lights did not work and the TV was very tinny.

Lovely friendly staff who contacted me in advance to confirm arrival. We were served an excellent breakfast. The room had clean linen, fresh towels and there was plenty of hot water for the shower and bath.

Did not like the venue - it was old dated and not clean. They took payment on arrival however we left before sleeping the night at 10pm because when we returned from concert the venue stank of weed. Someone had clearly been smoking indoors and our room smelt too. Not happy at all because i took my 4 year old and would not sleep there stinking like that... NO STAFF to checkout with so had to leave keys at reception with a note. No one had the curtosey to ring us and apologise and the joke of it was I booked a double room but was given a SINGLE. Would not recommend for a dog to stay here let alone humans.

I liked thatthe venue was quite close to the Genting Arena in a taxi. Only cost £8.50 each way.

We were given 2 single rooms instead of a twin and we were not informed of this before we arrived. Also the accommodation is far more dated than I thought from the pictures .

The member of staff was lovely and the location was perfect for nec

Locked out on arrival with a scrap of paper stuck to the door asking us to ring a mobile despite giving our eta of 3:00 - 4:00 pm (arrived at 3:15pm) Dirty bathroom with mould around the bath tiles and on the ceiling. Very Rusty shower curtain rail. Wall paper badly torn and peeling off in bedroom Self closer on fire door ripped off from door rendering it useless,despite sign stating fire door keep closed Breakfast pre cooked before arrival very over done with very hard eggs

Lisa the only member of staff we saw or met. She was very apologetic for all the issues. Lisa was very helpful offering assistance on directions to local amenities etc. Unfortunately she had an uphill battle against issues she could not influence. Beds comfortable with clean fresh linen incl. well laundered towels.

Very run down property. I wasn’t told it is not staffed 24 hrs. As we arrived late which incidentally I had intimated at the time of booking. We had to look for keys under pot outside following instructions by text from staff. Not your usual standard. Wouldn’t book there again.

Didn’t eat there.

Had to transfer to sister hotel Royal in Sutton Coldfield.

Nothing as we were not booked in correctly. Only for 1 night not 2 and offered single rooms not double.

The driveway in was very rough. The bathroom had nasty smell of drains. The room was too hot at night . The bed frame came above the matress when you got into bed you hurt your legs. Bed not very comfortable. When going in to reception area had a bad smell .

The lady on reception was pleasant.

Good value for the little money it was. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. Not the brightest of places, the hall and entry not overly clean. Good breakfast and a very helpful pleasent last who served us.

It was unclean, bed and mattress was about 100 years old, the cover on the drain in the shower was missing. It was that bad we couldn't stay there. We drove 100 miles back home at midnight. Hopefully this sums this place up.

Walls thinner than paper, can hear everything that everyone is doing virtually. People chatting outside hotel in the early hours kept me awake.

Lovely breakfast, the host was very friendly. Nice lounge to sit in in the late evening. Low cost a big plus.

Not an enjoyable stay at all. Room a bit dirty and shabby, hairdryer didn't work, shower wouldn't turn off and in all not very good. Won't be back.

It was filthy, as in dust and cobwebs everywhere. TV was tiny and had no reception anyway Pillows were flat and bed was bowed and wonky really uncomfortable. Breakfast was average and coffee tasted like toilet water. I also worries about cleanliness after the state of the room I stayed in. Ironing board was the size of a childs and not fit for use.

Good parking

Breakfast a little slow but acceptable

Staff were first class in fact above average ...receptionist truly helpful and put herself out for me .....thank you to her Breakfast although a little slow was worth waiting for maybe a buffet may be better ?

There was a terrible smell of damp, drains and the place felt dirty and shabby. I wouldn't go back again.

The manager was very friendly and helpful

It would of been a lot better if it wasn't closing in 18 months There is not point in doing a refurbishment.

The whole stay was fine .Lisa was lovely helpful & friendly .

All run down. Price too high ( too early for breakfast ). Shower mouldy.

Friendly person on the desk. Brand new lamp at the bed, still carried label, Quick at airport to escape.

The whole place could do with some major TLC including modernising in line with the barn feel it has. Also a good clean. The floor and bed in the room both creaked as you moved around and shifted weight which caused a lot of amusement at first to us but then did get annoying. Better signage to the property could have helped.

Breakfast was really nice. Lisa the only staff member we met was really friendly. She served us the breakfast and was really welcoming to us. Her communication with us was really good customer service. Car park was not locked into white set spaces and could park were we liked. It was very basic and filled what we needed for that time.

Facilities overdue for an upgrade, bathroom especially, bath/shower mixer not thermostatic, bath panel cracked, mirror light not working. insufficient sockets in bedroom no sign of the electrical items had been PAT tested. Good job we brought our own oscillating fan as the room was south facing and was red hot all day and night, even with the windows open and the curtains shut. Proximity to the main road meant noisy traffic.

Staff & service was excellent, cooked breakfast top notch.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

Dirty bedding, shower didn't work, no hot water or heating, breakfast was too late for our departure, toilet didn't flush properly, noisy road and guests so no sleep. I wouldn't stay again

I wouldn't stay again. No hot water, dirty bedding, shower didn't work, no heating in room, noisy guests and road activity so zero sleep.

The place was tired and in need of some TLC to make it a great hotel.

Location was quiet, good sized on suite, staff were lovely. Breakfast great, clean and tidy.

• Reviewed: 7 April 2017

wi-fi was a little hit and miss for some reason. but we have encountered that right across the midlands so its probably just the local service!

Lovely personal service, great recommendation for dinner at a local pub. The Old Barn does not pretend to grandness and is exactly as described - it is older and down to earth, a classic value for money overnight stay. Cooked breakfast was excellent.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

very tired establishment. bathroom in particular really needs refurbishment. breakfast ok.

the double bed was comfortable, though apparently my daughters' single bed was not at all. convenient location for NEC. plenty of places to eat in the village of Coleshill, though not walking distance.

No bar or similar place to socialisee such as cafe, etc. (except tv lounge ). No 24 hour staff. No shops nearby and nothing for sale on premises.

The Manageress Lisa ( the only visible staff member) is very friendly and helpful will always help with any problems or special requirements. Comfortable and reasonable priced. Less than 15 minutes drive from the NEC. Stayed twice at weekends and always seems to be plenty of parking space. Free parking. Free WiFi. Good breakfast.

The shower did not work. The loo only sometimes flushed. The mattress had a HUGE dip in it where the springs had died a long time ago, which made it almost impossible to sleep on. It was the most uncomfortable nights "sleep" I've had in any hotel.

The staff were lovely and accommodating.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Toilet was difficult to flush. Wall by sink needed to be cleaned. Wardrobe should have been checked. spare duvet was just stuffed in. Open bag of chocolate sweets loose on floor. Hangers not hung up.

Location for NEC

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

Bathroom small, leaking loo cistern causing damp smell and mould, side of bath stuck together with duck tape, shelving dirty, carpet dirty, decor very dated and shabby.

Being able to go back late at night after a flight and proximity to airport. Clean towels and bed linen.

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

We were in room 1. Disgusting room . Dirty. Filthy carpet , wallpaper falling off walls. Only lamp in room didnt work. Television was antiquated and wire kept falling out the back !!! Bathroom appalling . I have photos if anyone would like to see them . WE should have been paid to stay there. Steer clear!! Btw its coming down we believe for the new hs2 route . Hooray. Not before time. Nothing has been spent on this place since it was built. Also there is no one onsite after 8pm to seeor complain about the noise !!!and i mean Noise (lack of sleep if you are visiting NEC etc) Is that allowed ?? Health and Safety !!!!!

Very little to be liked .

Rooms very dated ,bed uncomfortable ,when other people and ourselves flushed toilet the bath made bubbling noises .The walls were like paper.Rooms not very clean mood around the bath ,and a bar of soap behind the sink basin which had been there for a while

Location and staff .Heating in the room not working but moved to another room without fuss

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Although the place was clean tidy, the decor is starting to a little tired and dated. The room was very warm and had to leave the windows open all night. But I would stay again

Friendly staff...helpful,welcoming. Great value for money. Was a short trip to the NEC

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

soap dispensers empty, no remote for the TV. I had read that the guest house was 1.4 miles from the airport (that's why I chose it); it was, in fact, an £8.50 taxi ride

the manageress was very pleasant and helpful

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

We were met by Lisa at reception who is a very good ambassador for the company,pleasant and very helpful. Our room was clean and warm,slept well and a great breakfast followed.Will be back.

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Deco and carpet could be upgraded

The bed was really comfortable, it was kept really cosy, there was a lot of banging thru the night and early morning with people coming and going with doors banging

• Reviewed: 19 December 2016

I got lost and Lisa stayed on the line and talked me through directions- she was wonderful, couldn't have got there without her. She was marvellous

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

The guest house was very dated and needed a good up dating. The shower was only attached to the taps and the toilet was hard to flush even with the written instructions on how to work it.

The place was clean and the staff member very welcoming,she served a lovely breakfast and gave lots of info re taxi , Christmas market etc.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

No change for getting breakfast, no change for getting any kind of dinner - except for walking to Coleshill, around 2 miles away.... The bathroom was for sure not for my vife.....

The price is modest - but so is the place.... It is pretty close to Birmingham Airport - but check transport solutions if you do not bring your own car....

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

signage could have been better as drove straight passed

Large room with Comfy beds and clean bedding and towels. Friendly welcoming from Lisa Quiet location, would use again.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

Wifi kept dropping out, probably lack of signal.

Breakfast, location, warm and cosy room, Lisa is a huge treasure to this place! Her cheerfulness and hospitality is faultless! Thank you so much for looking after us!

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

There was no Wi-Fi in my room. When I told the staff I was told that there hasn't been any previous complaints. That's not really my concern, as I walked along the corridor towards my room the strength of the Wi-Fi got weaker until eventually there was no signal. I told the staff in the morning that I had to pay for Wi-Fi to allow me to work.

Nothing in particular

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

i am blind and booked in to the old barn to attend my brothers funeral. I got lost and didnt get there until 10pm. The manager wouldnt let me in. my mobile had gone flat so i couldnt ring anyone. i managed to get to coleshill and found a hotel. Then i find out that the old barn had taken £59 out of my account and they wouldnt let me in. To all visually impaired people avoid this place.

nothing.

Middle of nowhere, nothing was close by needed own transport, Needs vending machine in building - not even bottled water.

Quiet. Close to NEC. Clean. Large (3 sleeper), Friendly and helpful Mona Lisa

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

The rooms and exterior in serious need of an upgrade although for one night it was ok the lady was very friendly

The lady running it was great very helpful and cooked a good breakfast

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

Rooms & furniture very tired, cleanliness very poor, would not have stayed there if there were anywhere else to stay at that time, we arrived late in the evening for next day at NEC. show, thank god only 1 night, TV hit & miss, obviously the owners don't want to spend any money or time on the place...

Lisa (staff) great lady, wasted there, very loyal to her employer trying to support a place which is in need of a lick of paint at minimal to make it presentable to any-ones standard

The bathroom smelled a little and mould in the corner of basin. Towels weren't changed daily and pillows were not thick.

The breakfast cooked fresh every morning. Staff very friendly, Lisa you did a great job. Comfy rooms.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2016

Location, no where easily accessible to eat, old fashioned décor.

Clean bedding and towels, free car parking, nice breakfast. Everything you needed but basic.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Filth!!! our room wasn't clean had 24 empty cans of Stella in wardrobe, toilet seat had pee stains that hadn't been cleaned, towels stunk of sick had stains on them, awful place😨 uncomfortable beds really bad location glad I didn't book breakfast. Had to sleep fully dressed and couldn't take a shower luckily I had baby wipes eeeeerrrrggghh vile can't believe they take money to stay in such a hovelllll

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

One of the beds in the room we stayed in ( room 5 ) Was broken under the mattress and uncomfortable

How you communicated with us about our late check in , friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Disappointed to hear that this business day are numbered due to the new rail link route is going to be coming straight through here, which is why some TLC issues are not being carried out unless absolutely essential.

Liked the welcome and information from staff.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

Everything. Old, creeky building. Smelt musty. Uncomfortable bed, formica furniture, broken TV, one power socket with multiplugs. Felt unsafe with noises all night. Shower door broken, shower wouldn't turn off. Dreadful

Nothing. It was close to work but still almost impossible to find. No signage, no address, bad directions, sat nav couldn't find it