Reviews of The Old Rectory Restaurant with Rooms 4 stars

Yarmouth Road, Norwich, NR7 0HF, United Kingdom

#15 of 37 B&Bs and Inns in Norwich

• Small Double Room - Coach House

friendly welcome, run by a lovely couple. nice breakfast. building is beautiful and centrally located, also near the canal and the marshes. room was very comfortable. we accidentally booked for 1 instead of 2 people (a smaller double) but the owners kindly upgraded us for free. would highly recommend for a peaceful beautiful stay in Norwich!

• Double Room - Coach House

Our Room was warm, heating turned on while we were out. The breakfast was served on very hot plates which is so important. The food was cooked perfectly and exactly what we asked for The room was the cleanest we have ever experienced in any hotel / B & B . Chris, the owner really lovely and very welcoming. Can’t say enough about our stay. Definitely recommend and look forward to our next stay.

• Double Room - Coach House

The hotel is peaceful and dignified. Food is delicious, hosts are accommodating and makes a nice change to impersonal hotels. Would be lovely in summer or winter. Glad I found this hotel!

This hotel is fabulous! Great host who is very welcoming. Rooms amazing and the bed was very comfy. Food excellent as well. I would recommend this hotel as a great place to stay.

• Small Double Room - Coach House

If you are used to sleep with an open window the road/train noises might be a bit disturbing. The working desk and chair was not that convenient however they did the job

Very friendly team, spacious room and a good shower. The bed was very comfortable. The dinner was good for a very reasonable price. Offered wine list was good too. The breakfast options were delicious

• Deluxe Double Room

Don’t think there was anything to really dislike about our stay

The presentation of the food was excellent. We thoroughly enjoyed evening meal and breakfast.

• Double Room - Coach House

Excellent property, a tastefully decorated beautiful old Rectory in its own grounds. The lounge is very welcoming and comfortable, the bedroom was large well decorated with a comfortable bed fitted with quality linen and was well equipped. Excellent powerful walk in shower and nice bathroom area. My evening meal was really excellent with vegetables cooked perfectly, I don't normally have a desert, but I went for the date cake and it was delicious. Breakfast was completely freshly cooked and perfect. I was waited on by Chris in the evening and was given excellent service from the moment I arrived.

Beautiful location, exceptionally helpful host and hostess, lovely setting. Easy access to the broads, city centre and train station. Spacious rooms and delicious breakfast served in an elegant yet comfortable dining room.

• Double Room - Coach House

Signage could be improved. Blink and you could miss the entrance to this property.

Very comfy room; warm welcome offered and made to feel at home. Property has real character and the effort taken by the team can be seen in the upkeep and condition of the rooms, communal areas and gardens.

The exterior painting was rather tired.

The welcome was great and the staff did all they could to make our stay the best. Food was good although the menu (three choices for each course) did not change very much day to day.

• Deluxe Double Room - Coach House

Room was a little cold and low ceiling beams not suited for tall guests

Lovely setting and staff were very friendly and accommodating, breakfast was fantastic

Free standing TV and desk, not something I am used to after using modern hotels (with wall-fitted TVs), no hot water in sink, not much pressure in shower either, creaking floor. WiFi was not working in more than three quarters of the room. Did not matter a lot, but after seeing everything else in the room, little things like above stick in mind

Clean, Very nice high standard bed and furniture. Nice garden, good view from room. Extremely friendly owner who personally greeted me and walked me to the room. Felt like home away from home (with very large garden and swimming pool)

• Small Double Room - Coach House

It was a warm day, so would have liked to get in the pool, but I'm afraid that there were lots of leaves and other debris floating about, which made it seem unattractive to actually get in.

Fantastic view of the pool and lawn from room. Very welcoming and helpful host. Delicious and hearty breakfast.

A bit overpriced. 4 stars hotels/B&Bs needs to have a better attention to detail regarding the facilities as well as the food. Don't get me wrong; the food and the stay was nice but considering the price, things like breakfast with just a slice of ham smacked on the plate is not satisfying. Things should be taken to the next level to match the 4 star pricing. Also you hear the road and the railway quite a bit from the room but certainly from the garden.

Friendly staff and nice property and garden.

Too expensive for what was delivered. Restaurant closed - so a 'Restaurant with Rooms' hardly applies. That loss of convenience should be reflected in the price which was premium. Although there are plenty of eating places within walking distance I still like to get what I expect and what is advertised.

Wonderful host - very helpful and attentive.

• Deluxe Double Room - Coach House

whilst the breakfast was again of high standard.Some variation would be desirable for stays beyond 2 days e.g. fish items such as smoked haddock,kippers and smoked salmon with scrambled eggs.We were located in the coach house and views over the garden were inhibited by the conservatory below us.Some need for updating in this area of the property.

Chris and Sally were excellent hosts.The hotel deserves a country house classification. The restaurant meals were imaginative and of exceptional quality with dinner menu items offering complex flavours.The location is ideal fro access to the city of Norwich and North Norfolk.We would like to stay in the main house next time we visit.

• Small Double Room - Coach House

The friendliest hotel I've ever stayed at. I was made to feel very welcome after a long day. The kitchen had been closed for half and hour when I arrived however the chef told me he would be happy to cook my 3 course dinner which was really nice (try the duck). All in all a lovely experience.

Nothing springs to mind.

Staff were very friendly and accomodating. I brought my bike which they offered to lock away for me in their garage at any time.

Chris the owner was friendly, helpful and charming. The rooms were spacious with a country house feel. Good location with bus stops outside for a regular service into Norwich.

Leaving.

Everything staff friendly, welcoming. Hotel spotless, food, drinks and service superb. Great place with great staff. The owners are lovely people and should be proud of their achievement.

• Double Room - Coach House

Although the room had a ceiling fan it was a very hot weekend and so the room was slightly uncomfortable and would have benefitted from an air conditioning unit. However we were provided with a thin sheet as the staff recognised that the temperature might be challenging

The surroundings were wonderful with garden and a pool and conservatory WITH SEATING AND WE JUST ENJOYED RELAXING AT THE END OF A BUSY DAY WALKING!

• Small Double Room - Coach House

The room was quite warm even with the sash windows opened top and bottom, but the weather was quite warm so couldn't be helped. The light outside was a little bright if you kept the curtains open to allow more air in.

Room had a pleasant outlook and was tastefully furnished, bed was comfey and the bathroom well equipped and spotlessly clean. Good coffee and tea making facilities plus biscuits too. A big bonus was that you were given different clean cups/ mugs daily so you knew they were clean and not just rinsed in the bathroom and dried on a bath towel!! The food for breakfast was excellent with a good choice and all freshly prepared. We also had dinner on one evening and this was superb, just the right amount of locally sourced, fresh ingredients put together and cooked with flair and expertise.

• Small Double Room - Coach House

The property is an old grade two listed building which is really qwerty. It has lovely gardens. Location very good. The breakfast was excellent. Can not comment on Dinner as out with friends. Would recommend this B/B. Coming back in a couple of weeks to Norwich and will be staying here.

• Double Room - Coach House

Bed was a bit small and mattress too soft for us. It's unfortunate but we suffered a power outage - something you can expect in the Philippines or Tulum because these are eco resorts. Not sure why some area in Norwich can experience these outages. Fortunately the owner James was very prompt to offer us a flashlight, but we went to bed a bit earlier.

This is a beautiful mansion and the public areas are very comfortable. Beautiful view from the restaurant. Very nice gastronomic dinner at a reasonable price.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

• Double Room - Coach House

interior decor extremely out dated and old fashioned, was almost like staying over at my nans house.

Lovely tasty breakfast, friendly helpful staff. Great little fixed price evening menu, classic old school dishes & combinations but full of flavor!

Beds comfy fresh very clean. Free wifi bonus but little slow at times. Food all locally sourced and beautifully presented. Hosts so friendly and welcoming.

• Deluxe Double Room

the bed mattress,steps down to bathroom,s stairs to bedroom due our agehowever the exercise was beneficial..

the food ..the people and fellow guests,good eggs

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Double Room - Coach House

The hotel public rooms were a bit little bit tired and could do with a refresh to bring them into more modern tastes. Reminiscent of an old-style hotel that could do with being brought into this century. The owners were friendly enough but it seemed that the hotel was a bit old-fashioned and slightly stuffy.

The room was clean and newly decorated

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Our deluxe double room offered excellent facilities: the bed was very roomy and comfortable and the soft furnishings beautifully reflect the period of the house. The bathroom is large with a sloping ceiling so a tall person may need to take care! The breakfast menu is comprehensive and we took dinner there on one evening of our stay. It was delicious! The proprietors are very friendly. We will return when next visiting the area.

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

• Small Double Room - Coach House

The room was exceptionally large. The host was naturally welcoming and full of information. Very relaxing set-up like being the special guest in a big country house. Food both diiner and breakfast , beer and wine was absolutely world beating . Yes we liked it.

• Small Double Room - Coach House

Its 2 miles out of the town centre - but I would rather stay here than more well known "plastic" hotels in the centre - plus it is a few minutes walk from a great pub :-)

Lovely staff, relaxing quiet setting, comfy rooms and a great price - breakfast was just the best :-)

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

I am certainly not complaining as I was on a leisure break, but be sure to allow enough time for a relaxed breakfast which is cooked to order. Much better than the usual dried out buffet in chain hotels. A couple of business travellers had their taxi's wait as they hadn't finished breakfast, but perhaps they should have just got up earlier !

Small and intimate hotel in a historic building, situated in quiet grounds a short taxi ride to the centre of Norwich, with lovely staff who couldn't do enough to ensure your stay was perfect. Couldn't fault the hotel, location, staff, or whole experience, and would love to return in the future.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Double Room - Coach House

A hair in the poached egg at breakfast and although the waitress offered a replacement egg it had put us off. The owner /manager made no effort to come and apologise or discuss the matter. I reiterated our concern to her when we left but she just said that she would speak to the person cooking the eggs and tell them to cover their head.....this should be basic hygiene in my opinion!! Also the room was too hot as windows opened little even though there was a ceiling fan in the room. A standard lamp was unplugged in the conservatory with the plug unscrewed and laid on a ledge awaiting further maintainance... It was like that for 2 days

Location and grounds were good.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• Small Double Room - Coach House

LISTEN TO JANE! When I received the documentation after booking, I saw that the satnav location was given, which, in itself, is not uncommon. We travelled on the Friday of the last Bank Holiday of the year, with Jane (residing somewhere within that little gadget attached to my windscreen), giving me perfectly good route instructions. On arriving in Thorpe St Andrew, I might have imagined it, but Jane appeared to be getting quite agitated in telling me ‘You have reached your destination’, but I drove on. How could I not have trusted Jane? On the third passing of the entrance I discovered why I had overlooked it. The entrance, between tall growth is so narrow and not particularly well signed either. Down the drive and getting the first glimpse of the house (and what an imposing house!), and a turn to the right brought my wife and I to the reception entrance. Hardly had we stopped the car, and out came Chris and Ivy to advise on parking and to offer to take our luggage in. Impressive. Chris turned out to be the owner along with his wife Sally Entwistle and their son James, and once inside the building Ivy, who was a member of staff, spent some time giving us a tour of the rooms, before taking us outside to go to our room. This was in the adjoining coach house. Small, but quite adequate for two, with an en-suite bathroom, and a double bed. After quickly unpacking a drink was in order, and we elected to sit in the lounge, beautifully appointed and tastefully decorated, it said in a sotto voce (much quieter than Jane’s), ‘You’re now on holiday’. We had booked for three nights and had also decided to have each Dinner at the hotel. I know not of the quality of food within the immediate area, but we were more than pleased with the fare offered in the dining room. Surprisingly, given that this is a ‘restaurant with rooms’, the restaurant opening times are fairly limited. The dining room is closed on Sundays and Mondays and the occasional Tuesdays too.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

We didn't like that we couldn't stay longer.

Great welcome. House and setting, lovely. Evening meal superb (even though the chef was away!). Breakfast was perfect.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room - Coach House

The owners Chris & Sally were very welcoming and helpful. Our deluxe room in the coach house was very comfortable with plenty of storage. The shower was very powerful! The evening meal was excellent. The creme brûlée the best I've had for a long time. As the weather was lovely we ate breakfast outside. Again the staff were very attentive. I would be very happy to recommend the Old Rectory for a luxury stay and within easy reach to the Broads and Norwich.

• Double Room - Coach House

Very Friendly and welcoming - I'd forgotten my cufflinks and Chris lent some to me. That's outstanding. Great breakfast too.

• Small Double Room - Coach House

The shower... but such a small thing

Beautifully prepared food, attention to detail, friendly and a lovely building. The pool was a surprise!

Friendliness

• Small Double Room - Coach House

Super friendly and helpful staff

A lovely house and garden, and nice rooms and views. Very good care for detail.

• Double Room - Coach House

Two excellent dinners with decent portions of veg with main course - hooray...

• Double Room - Coach House

Beautiful property in a great location, rooms.excellently appointed and public areas a delight. Lounge, restaurant and food superb.

Good location Spacious and welcoming room Hosts are very nice

• Double Room - Coach House

Very pleasant host Food was excellent Plenty of information about the area available Rooms spotless & very comfortable

Staff were very attentive, bed really comfy, breakfast choices very good (marmalade was so good we left with 2 jars!)

• Deluxe Double Room

The personal attention and delicious food

• Double Room - Coach House

Location, surroundings,comfort, food, staff and service were all excellent.

• Small Double Room - Coach House

Nothing to fault. We loved it all.

Beautiful room with a lovely view. Extremely friendly staff and a restaurant to die for.

Bit tricky closing the outside windows in the room.

The owner was very welcoming and friendly.

Lack of lift

Welcoming and helpful, warm and comfortable room. The breakfast was fantastic.

• Deluxe Double Room - Coach House

Sadly chef on hols so no evening meals.

Comfortable room with nice en suite. A little tired maybe but clean and tidy.

Very friendly, excellent food and clean good sized rooms. A great location for Norwich and the surrounding area.

• Deluxe Double Room - Coach House

Friendly helpful staff. Beautiful rooms and gardens. Fantastic food made with local ingredients. Good WiFi.

• Double Room - Coach House

Perhaps a bit of air conditioning and/or a bar fridge.

Chris was the perfect host. Food was outstanding. The estate grounds very relaxing.

Hospitality

• Small Double Room - Coach House

While the main building is grand, the coach house is modest.

Friendly helpful staff & good quality food.

• Deluxe Double Room

Wonderful persons welcoming you in a stunning but very peaceful milieu. The dinner served was absolutely superb.

Great food. Comfortable bed.

• Deluxe Double Room

Excellent, staff very friendly, hotel was exceptionally clean, food very good

• Balcony Double Room

Very polite and descreet owners, cleanliness impecable

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

• Double Room - Coach House

Evening menu was limited..but tasty

Food wonderful...owner greeted us and was a mine of information about the area. Bed extremely comfortable...

The tv could of been bigger

Excellent stay staff really nice

shower

the shiraz

Can't think of anything.

The comfy bed and pillows. The biscuits in the room. The friendly staff.

Shower could have been better

Great breakfast!

• Double Room - Coach House

The service and attention to detail was second to none. The food was fantastic!

• Deluxe Double Room - Coach House

A great welcome. Fabulous room and good food.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

• Double Room - Coach House

We enjoyed good food and a well presented quiet room. Good wifi too.

• Reviewed: 23 January 2017

Friendly staff, excellent room, superb food etc etc

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

• Double Room - Coach House

The room a little cold on arrival.

Staff friendly and service good.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Small Double Room - Coach House

Staff extremely helpful. Breakfast fabulous. Very comfortable bed. Fabulous place to stay

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Small Double Room - Coach House

Chris the owner very helpful and food superb would you try this hotel a hidden gem

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

• Double Room - Coach House

No food available on the evening but stated on web so I knew in advance. Shame as I would of liked to try it

Peaceful location great property

• Small Double Room - Coach House

Decor was a little tired in some areas.

Comfortable bed. Quiet. In easy reach of Norwich and the "Broads".