Reviews of The Old Ship Aground

Quay Street, Minehead, TA24 5UL, United Kingdom

#19 of 28 hotels in Minehead

Based on 288 B&B reviews

Read more– opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: November 9, 2018

Great value, fantastic food, happy staff
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The fact that we weren’t told on checking in that dogs weren’t allowed in the room on thier own - we would have understood this. We had travelled 6 hrs - walked the dogs for 20 mins after checking in then went eagerly to relax in the bar and have dinner, only to be told at that point that we needed to remove the dogs from the room. We did have the option of bringing them into the bar, though as our dogs are old we felt the busyness would be too much for them - so put them back in the car. We were up at 7.30 am to walk them and put them back into the car whist we had breakfast. Didn’t like the fact that the breakfast server said “oh room 5 are your dogs in the room?”. Not sure it should be classed as “dog friendly”

Loved the location, the staff were lovely and the room was spotless and comfortable. Amazingly big bed (Hilton style)!! Food and wine were excellent. Lovely vibe in the bar 😀

Never again
    • Economy Single Room

The rooms I saw 2 were old worn and musky. The shower was a slow unpowerful one. There was a loud generator buzzing all night.

The breakfast was excellent

• Reviewed: November 9, 2018

Extremely pleasant mid week break.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The weather wasn't very good but we still got out and about.

Great view of harbour and comfortable bed. Good sized room with sitting area. Food truly excellent all fresh, trio of fish was the best fish I have tasted in years.

• Reviewed: November 1, 2018

If you want relaxing,cosy, great food and staff, and location then stay at the Old Ship.
    • Double Room with Balcony and Sea View

Our only complaint would be that the ensuite was a little cold but the water pressure was brilliant and no lack of hot water.

Quaint, comfortable, staff very helpful and friendly. Food excellent. Service first class and we loved the location. I wanted to take the bed home with me it was so comfortable and we had an excellent nights sleep. We will definitely be coming back and bringing our dog with us this time, its great to know that dogs are so welcome.

• Reviewed: October 25, 2018

A lively & friendly pub with good food & beer
    • Economy Single Room

The shower in my room did not work. On reporting this I was given a key to another room so I could use the shower in there. A minor problem that was dealt with quickly.

Great value. Evening meal & breakfast very good.

• Reviewed: October 20, 2018

Just very relaxing, highly recommend it.
    • Economy Twin Room

The flat screen televisions is very small and in a very odd position and not possible for both residents to watch without someone sitting on the floor. The mirror is also a long way from the socket for hair drying. But we were not there to watch television and I still love the place.

My third time staying food and staff absolutely fabulous

• Reviewed: October 18, 2018

Historic inn close to the harbour with friendly staff.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Great location close to sea front in an historic building. Lovely helpful staff. The double room was very spacious, with a lovely view of the harbour. A good choice of breakfasts was offered. Tea and coffee was available in the room. Good parking available.

• Reviewed: October 15, 2018

Friendly cozy pub with great food.

The weather!

The pub is in a great location. The owners / staff are all excellent. The food is fabulous. The weather was dire! I had a single room. Large enough. Large en-suite shower room. It's a great place and highly recommend.

• Reviewed: October 14, 2018

The location was great but sadly the weather was terrible so...
    • Economy Double Room

It was an economy room so we expected it to be compact -the bedroom part was fine but the hand basin was tiny. Not sure it's a good idea to have the name of the pub and the room number on the key fob. If it had been dropped by accident outside anyone could pick it up and get straight in to the room.

The location was great but sadly the weather was terrible so we weren't able to go out and enjoy the coast path walks. The evening meal was good - all the staff were friendly, efficient and helpful.

• Reviewed: October 12, 2018

Lovely old pub.
    • Economy Double Room

Menu wasn't our thing. Sad that we couldn't have Sunday carvery late afternoon/ evening. We were really looking forward to that. After a really great breakfast not hungry until after 6pm . Would be nice if residents could have carvery later???

Lovely old pub. Tastefully refurbished.

• Reviewed: October 5, 2018

Actually enjoyed stay and wedding so much was tempted to book in for another couple of nights
    • Economy Single Room

As I was there for the wedding I would have appreciated a full length mirror to check my outfit ! This could be easily remedied as there was wall space - I left a note to this effect in the room... apart from that - would happily return.

The staff were more than helpful when I wanted to book in early to catch the steam train for the afternoon as the weather was poor. The location very good, even though I had a basic single room I could still see the sea and the activities in the lifeboat station when then went out for a practice - fabulous to walk out after breakfast around the harbour. I was there for a three day wedding in Dunster and booked in a day before the festivities so was able to take a trip up to Porlock Hill, Weir and village and visit a couple of other villages on the way back before my brother and partner arrived in time for the evening "do". I would happily return - a pub situation is easier for a "woman alone" and also as the hotel is dog friendly may return with a friend and her dog to do some walking in the area next year. I much prefer a place that's not POSH but with character and to feel comfortable. Well done all staff.

• Reviewed: October 3, 2018

My stomach was very happy but my head ached!
    • Economy Twin Room

The bedroom windows and communicating door rattled all night keeping me awake!

The food in the restaurant was excellent! The location was breathtaking!

• Reviewed: October 2, 2018

excellent
    • Economy Single Room

A lovely building situated by a pretty quay and the RNLI station, right next to the national park which looms above. The centre of town is near enough 800m away, you want to be far away from Butlins which is to the east of town! The pub was excellent too and busy enough to feel like it was a place people regularly visit. The staff were very friendly and professional.

• Reviewed: October 1, 2018

Area has many interesting places to visit - this pub is a good base.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

This accommodation was booked on the basis that it advertised good food, freshly cooked. There was a good range of meals except that I have a gluten and lactose intolerance, so for me the options were disappointingly limited. I had thought that the chef would have been able to adapt more of the meals on the menu, but this do not happen. e.g. the breakfast kippers were pre-packed ones with butter other dishes contained cream, which could have been left out. The en-suite need updating. Very poor electric shower and the door/shower tray leaked all over the floor.

The bedroom was a good size and the bed was large and comfortable. The bar and waiting staff were as helpful as they could be. The chips served in the restaurant are to die for. The area around Minehead is worth exploring.

• Reviewed: September 29, 2018

a very enjoyable stay all round.
    • Economy Double Room

the en-suite was a bit spartan, the sink was very small and low down and there was nowhere in the shower to put bottles etc . The parking situation was a bit of a nightmare, although we did manage to park in a free space.

the views were excellent all round. we had a good view of the lifeboat station and their practice on the Thursday. The food was excellent too. In the room we had mugs instead of cups, which is unusual, we also had the option of hot chocolate.

• Reviewed: September 28, 2018

Overall a pleasant stay on the whole.
    • Double Room with Balcony and Sea View

Sunday carvery was cold and vegetables too hard. Comments about this were received as 'so what attitude' by the member of staff we spoke to.

Room with a sea view. Location. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: September 25, 2018

Great room, great food, great beers, great staff and dog friendly.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Felt the shower was slightly under powered but this did not distract from a very enjoyable stay

All the staff friendly and helpful, the choice of food and quality was excellent and well priced. We were impressed that the landlord helped in choice of whisky and beer which included tasters, Our dog was made very welcome too. The room was excellent, location great, lovely walks. We would recommend to anybody and would be happy to come back again sometime. A special touch was a happy anniversary card on our arrival, a very nice touch, Thank you.

• Reviewed: September 24, 2018

Absolutely fab.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Everything was wonderful. Didn't find anything to complain about. We even enjoyed listening to the live band finishing their set.

The room was really big, the bed massive and really comfortable, Emma who looked after us was really friendly and professional, a couple of comfy chairs would have been a bonus. The view through the French windows was glorious.

• Reviewed: September 23, 2018

A convenient stopover on route to the west country. Staff friendly, food very good, prices OK!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Only one hard chair to sit on in the bedroom and the furniture didn't appear to know what it's true function was. Very quirky!

The walk-in shower facility in the wash/toilet room was a pure delight and beautifully clean with it! The bed was comfortable if quirky to look at, it aspired to be a sawn-off four poster bed.

• Reviewed: September 20, 2018

Good value but could be better.
    • Economy Double Room

This lovely old pub is in need of some tlc. We understand that sprucing up would cost money and one wouldn’t want to sacrifice the character of the place. A really good clean would help. The en suite shower room really needed updating. A shelf to put your things on in the shower room would help. The curtains are in serious need of replacing- they’re covered in black mould. Very limited wine list- that’s okay but the white wine should be properly chilled. We found the wine a bit pricey for the quality. Good breakfast except for eggs Benedict,- cold bottled sauce on top of the poached egg. That’s a pity because apart from that it was nice.

Friendly staff were very attentive and pleasant. Clean,soft,fluffy towels. Excellent location. Lovely pub with good beer and food. Lovely breakfast with a real kipper!

• Reviewed: September 19, 2018

Evening meal was best I had on my weeks holiday and property...
    • Economy Single Room

Mattress on bed was a little creaky - also lock on door to room needed attention

Evening meal was best I had on my weeks holiday and property was at an excellent location for coastal path - staff very helpful and friendly throughout stay and accommodated me with pack-up of food due to early departure required for journey by public transport

• Reviewed: September 18, 2018

Great stay, worth the visit

Location was perfect, lovely views of the harbour and see all within walking reach of a few yards. Staff were friendly and helpful and the atmosphere of the Sunday carvery was great. Great food with a great singer! Easy access to local pubs and restaurants all within a few minutes walk.

• Reviewed: September 18, 2018

Very conveniently positioned near to the town & coastal...
    • Economy Single Room

My room could have perhaps done with a little bit of a revamp, but otherwise, it was fine!

Very conveniently positioned near to the town & coastal walks! Excellent menu choose! Many local, as well as visitors, dine at is establishment.

• Reviewed: September 17, 2018

I made a late change to my plans and switched to this...
    • Economy Single Room

I made a late change to my plans and switched to this accommodation from another that was more central to save a bit of money. The distance from the center of town turned out to be shorter than it appeared on the map and is a very pleasant walk along the sea front. The breakfast was excellent, the staff were friendly and even when there was a live band in the pub downstairs you couldn't hear any noise in the rooms.

• Reviewed: September 17, 2018

An enjoyable stay which I would happily recommend to anyone heading for a stay in Minehead.
    • Economy Twin Room

The en-suite was very small (Room 3) and there wasn't a full length mirror which would have been useful. Also there wasn't a power point with an adjacent mirror when using the hair-dryer. Very minor points and wouldn't stop me staying in future.

So pleased to have stayed there and would recommend it. The food was great with a good selection at breakfast and during the day and evening. The staff were friendly and couldn't do enough to make sure you enjoyed your stay. The beds were extremely comfortable and the room clean and bright.

• Reviewed: September 15, 2018

Wonderful relaxing break, staff very welcoming, would definitely recommend
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Really comfy bed, room light and airy and very clean. Staff were very friendly and welcoming. Perfect location, our room had view of the harbour. A hotel with character and charm.

• Reviewed: September 8, 2018

We had a relaxing break in excellent conditions.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The hotel was comfortable and our every need was catered for. The staff were outstanding in every way. The room and breakfast were above average.

• Reviewed: September 8, 2018

Location and the food was great!
    • Economy Twin Room

My room had an unlocked door that lead to the loft via a staircase, I didn’t know if anyone else could get access to my room from up there.

Location and the food was great!

• Reviewed: September 6, 2018

Everything is excellent.
    • Double Room with Balcony and Sea View

Fabulous stay, cosy clean room. Staff are very attentive nothing is too much trouble. Food is excellent too with a varied menu. Great view of the harbour. All in all EXCELLENT.

• Reviewed: August 30, 2018

Wonderful little find tucked away.

The staff were extremely professional and super friendly. The food was excellent and the place has a really cosy atmosphere. Special mention to Daniel who was really cool talking music to our teenage son.

• Reviewed: August 25, 2018

Once avait, à
    • Economy Twin Room

Parking was a challenge. The television was awkwardly positioned. The bathroom was cramped. Dogs were too much in evidence at dinnertime.

The dinner was very good the first evening, the staff were attentive and helpful, even advising on ways of securing free parking.

• Reviewed: August 18, 2018

Great place to stay
    • Economy Twin Room

Nothing, everything was great.

I stayed here last night (17/08/18) as a stop over on the way home from Newquay, it’s pet friendly which is why I booked it. My chocolate lab and I were greeted by friendly and attentive staff on arrival and were very helpful. As I couldn’t stay for breakfast due to leaving early, they made me a packed breakfast which was great. The room was very clean and spacious for a twin room and had the usual amenities. There was live music in the pub in the evening but you can’t hear a thing in the room, even at closing I didn’t hear anything. If you’re looking for a clean, friendly and safe place to stay then I’d highly recommend it. Would definitely stay again.

• Reviewed: August 17, 2018

Would not return to this hotel
    • Economy Double Room

No comfortable chairs in room. A lot of very loud noises from the yard outside our window after closing time. Staff seemed untrained and not organised leading to a haphazard service Bar staff did not seem to know how to serve a gin and tonic! Air in passageways was very stale

Friendly staff who were willing to be helpful

• Reviewed: August 8, 2018

Ideal stay in an authentic place, full of live.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Authentic place right at the seafront. Quiet location with less traffic. Nice terrace. Good food and good ambiance in the pub. Very spacious room with excellent sea view. You feel at home instantly.

• Reviewed: August 4, 2018

If you want great food and a warm welcome in a hotel by the sea, stay here!!
    • Economy Single Room

A quiet location with a relaxing view of the boats anchored in the small harbour, bobbing up and down as the sea gently lap lap laps the sea wall (I was there on a VERY fine and still summer's day) and a stone's throw from the beach where the draw of each receding wave, pulls the rounded pebbles into a wonderfully mesmerising and cathartic array of randomised clinky sounds, worthy of your time and attention. The hotel staff were brilliant. Friendly, attentive, informative and good humoured (not just personal experience, I observed them being like this with everyone). So WELL DONE staff for being who you are...and well done to whoever hired you! I had an 'economy single' which was basic but fulfilled all my personal criteria: en suite, clean, quiet and comfortable. The public bar area seemed to be a good mix of locals and visitors. The food menu offers something for everyone and is good quality, nicely presented fayre. The evening meal was delicious and breakfast of whiskey porridge with honey and fesh berries was an unexpectedly perfect star to my day. Things you should know: breakfast was between 8-9. A small window that happened to suit my needs that day, but could be a problem if you have an early start. Parking was no problem with lots of on street parking around the building and along the sea front. If I ever find myself back in Minehead and in need of accommodation, The Old Ship Aground will be my first choice as it's a wonderful little gem of a place with good heart and a warm welcome.

• Reviewed: August 2, 2018

Friendly relaxing stay - good atmosphere & very friendly, welcoming staff
    • Double Room with Balcony and Sea View

This is an old inn that is full of history and character and right on the old harbour. Extremely helpful staff who gave a warm welcome & very dog friendly too - recommended

• Reviewed: August 1, 2018

The owner is a physco who threatened and verbally abused me...
    • Economy Double Room

The owner is a physco who threatened and verbally abused me at the top of his lungs because my dog was a tiny bit sick in my room which I cleaned, even though it is a dog friendly place. I was told to pack my bags immediately after the owner let himself into my room and then I was told I was trespassing as I had not paid. Luckily I had my receipt to prove I had. Eventually I was refunded and agreed to leave and sleep in my car as the owner had made me feel unwelcome and like scum. My poor dog was petrified after he shouted the way he did. His staff had to remove him from my room. Please do not stay at here for your own safety as the owner needs serious mental health help and in the mean time he takes it out on his guests. It's a shame because the staff at the bar were brilliant and polite and very helpful.

• Reviewed: July 26, 2018

Great value for money, we will visit again!

The large dining room at the back were breakfast was served was rather dark en dusty. We would have liked some fresh fruit on the buffet. The hotel doesn't replace towels for longer stays unless you pay extra. The rooms and bathrooms are old and could do with a refurbishment.

The rooms and bathrooms are very clean. We had one room with a balcony and sea view, the view on the harbour is great. The bed was super comfortable. The cooked breakfast was very nice. The staff is very welcoming and friendly. The food in the pub is excellent; great choice on the menu and specials on the board, large portion size and very well prepared and presented. It's very good value for money as well. The pub is very cosy and lively, but we did not hear any noise in our room. There is (little) free parking place and a reasonably pay and display nearby.

• Reviewed: July 24, 2018

It looked promising externally but sadly, let down by condition inside the accommodation.
    • Economy Double Room

Unfortunately, our room was quite a disappointment with a tiny ensuite. The corner of the room had rising damp in it which you could smell on entry. Corridors, carpets and decor generally in need of a major refurb. Quite dark within the dining area and you were told where to sit rather than invited where to sit!

It was an attractive looking building on the outside, next to the old harbour. The staff were clearly making an effort to engage with guests. The evening meal food menu was excellent (if a little expensive in relation to the condition of the B&B?)

• Reviewed: July 24, 2018

A lovely place in a great location, friendly team and really good food. What more could you need.
    • Economy Twin Room

The food was amazing and the eggs royale for breakfast is a must. I stayed alone following walking a section of the South West Coastal path at the weekend and the team there were so friendly I felt completely at ease. Would definitely recommend.

• Reviewed: July 24, 2018

The size of the room, the staff and the manager were all...
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Curtains in our room needed track and hooks replaced.

The size of the room, the staff and the manager were all very friendly & efficient. The car parking was good.

• Reviewed: July 19, 2018

Very nice staff, helpful, etc.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Smells and noises of an old building. Lack of designated parking.

Very nice staff, helpful, etc. Great food, both dinner and breakfast alike. The pub was located at a quiet end of a Harbour, far from the typical family friendly attractions and a short walking distance from city centre. Room was big, and clean.

• Reviewed: July 13, 2018

Cheerful pub in good location
    • Economy Double Room

Room was adequate for the price. Dinner was expensive for average quality food.

Nice location near the beach but the shingle beach with sandy beach 10 minutes walk away.

• Reviewed: July 13, 2018

Relaxing
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Onsuite could have been better, very poor hot water flow in shower, but mustn't forget it's an old building with on going inprovments. Evening meal on the first night and breakfast the following morning just great, but unfortunately on the second evening and at breakfast the next day gammon not cooked and the sausages were still raw which was a pity, we don't like to complain, we just leave it.

Nice big room with lovely sea view.

• Reviewed: July 12, 2018

A beautiful quiet side to Minehead that is well worth a visit.
    • Double Room with Balcony and Sea View

The bathroom was a bit on the small side but perfectly clean and well equipped with toiletries.

Lovely comfy bed. Beautiful view over the harbour. The food was excellent as were all the staff who couldn’t do enough for you.

• Reviewed: July 11, 2018

A brilliant seaside escape in a quiet and relaxing location. Thank you to everyone!
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The staff were amazingly friendly and Daniel the Bar Man remembered always what we were doing every day! The location was fantastic and we wished we could have stayed for longer.

• Reviewed: June 29, 2018

little or no parkng once you moved you could never get in...
    • Economy Double Room

little or no parkng once you moved you could never get in again so as my wife and my self are handeicped we could not go any were so we come home a day early spoilt the break

• Reviewed: June 26, 2018

Good value, good food. Would stay again
    • Economy Single Room

The electric shower was very slow and had a 'water softener' head on it but it didn't fit properly in the shower holder and so the direction of the water flow couldn't be changed. I do wish they wouldn't insist on garnishing the food with so much greenery. Garlic bread does not need a garden on top of it! The food is very good and looks appetising - it does not need decorating.

Room was a little tired and could do with a coat of paint but it was clean. The bed was very comfortable with lovely white bed linen and the towels were beautifully soft.

• Reviewed: June 26, 2018

Fantastic and beautiful

Na

I was greeted by a very warm welcome by all the staff. Also shown to my room which was wonderful as not many places ive been to have done this. A beautiful location as its right by the harbour and beach. What more could one ask for like heaven on earth. Absolutely love this place. Highly recommneded for sure. The fact also it is dog friendly as im a dog lover myself i thought this to be wonderful as dogs are better behaved and have more sense. What i mean is nothing was too much trouble here. Will definitely be back here as it was like home from home. Thank you so much.

• Reviewed: June 25, 2018

Excellent accommodation on the edge of Exmoor
    • Economy Twin Room

I really enjoyed my stay at the Old Ship Aground in Minehead. It was in a very good location right next to the harbour and at the start of the South West Coastal path. The breakfast was excellent with a choice of options to suit anybody and when I mentioned I was due to check out early the owner offered to make me a packed breakfast to take with me. There was also a very good quality evening meal menu available. The accommodation was clean and it was all for a very reasonable price indeed. I would really recommend the Old Ship to other users.

• Reviewed: June 24, 2018

This was a great experience.
    • Economy Single Room

This is the best B&B experience I ever had! The breakfast was awesome (salmon/eggs). Staff were ALL genuinely friendly!!! Great experience.

• Reviewed: June 20, 2018

A little dissapointed this time.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Sea View

It should be made known that Friday night is live band night. It goes on until 11.45pm I wasn't aware of this, I have since noted others have made this same comment with a reply that other rooms are availble but the point being that if it's not know how can you request a different room? It's the best room with the best view so you wouldn't want any other anyway and they are always fully booked . My bed was litterally shaking it's to loud to sleep through! Id say if you stay friday nights, don't book room 8 or 9 (harbour views) We have a very stressful and hectic life so just wanted some piece and quiet so it wasn't as if joining in was an option for us. The rest of the weekend was fabulous and I really hate leaving this review but I was in tears on that night and feel it should be pointed out.

Staff are outstanding, Location is beautiful, beds so big and comfy the room was spacious.

• Reviewed: June 18, 2018

Great location for a stay in Minehead!!
    • Double Room with Balcony and Sea View

Nothing I can think of. Parking was adjacent so that was convenient.

Really great property with very friendly and helpful staff. Lively music in the bar area was a plus! In addition, we could not hear it in our room which was really a plus!!!

• Reviewed: June 18, 2018

Great place for a getaway
    • Economy Double Room

Checkout is a little earlier than most other hotels but wasn't a problem at all!

Friendly staff, nice clean room and the pub downstairs is great and all in the perfect location

• Reviewed: June 16, 2018

Overall enjoyed stay
    • Double Room with Balcony and Sea View

Sink in bathroom small with very little room to place toiletries Food rather on the expensive side therefore only ate there once-better value in town Every table in the bar had reserved on it in the evening so if you wanted a drink only you had to stand up or sit outside

Room was spacious with harbour view and balcony Good breakfast with wide choice All the staff were exceptional.

• Reviewed: June 7, 2018

Great time at a lovely hotel.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Please put a lower mirror in the bathroom. I am 5ft 10in and found it to be a little bit high for shaving. A towel rail would also be good. This is such a minor criticism, and I feel mean mentioning it, as we had such a lovely stay.

The hotel was in a great location. There was good free parking at the side of the hotel. The staff were lovely and friendly, and nothing was too much trouble. Our room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. We ate in the restaurant on both nights of our visit. The food was excellent, and service was brilliant. In the morning the breakfast was superb, again with fabulous service. Sitting out at the front of the hotel, you are right on the harbour, with stunning views over the bay.

• Reviewed: June 5, 2018

Pleasant stay with fantastic food
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Although the bedrooms are nice and large there are a few things that could be done to make it better. The mirror in the bathroom was so high you could only see the top of your head !! .also there is no mirror on dressing table to do either hair or makeup and there is no rail in the bathroom to dry your wet towels which is a shame as the bedrooms are nicely decorated and presented so it was a bit irritating .

Could not fault the food we had dinner both nights lots of choice, nicely presented and very tasty.

• Reviewed: June 4, 2018

Enjoyed my stay and friends that joined me for dinner on Thursday night enjoyed their meal
    • Economy Twin Room

Large room but very small bathroom, noisy kitchen extractors but they stopped 10 to 11 each night.

Comfy bed, good breakfast, no sound from the bar or live music in my room. Good location. No noisy traffic.

• Reviewed: June 4, 2018

• Superior Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Live music played below our bedroom until midnight, and fellow residents returning to their room at 4.30am, didn't help us get a restful nights sleep!

View from the front bedroom and the large bed

• Reviewed: June 3, 2018

Overpriced
    • Double Room with Balcony and Sea View

Staff made mistakes with evening meal (no ice cream served with dessert) and completely wrong breakfast served (full English with scrambled eggs) to the one I requested (smoked salmon and scrambled eggs). When I pointed this out the same eggs were returned with a few scraps of salmon alongside! Very.bad value for money.

Not much The beef used in the curry served on the specials menu was mostly gristle

• Reviewed: June 2, 2018

Lovely setting good weather close to amenities friendly staff not much selection on breakfast
    • Economy Double Room

Say free parking on booking ,but only available if there's room ,and as it was sunny bank holiday very difficult we only go to places we can park so this is a little deceiving,meals and drinks were quite expensive compared to other places in town

Close to town station beach all within walking distance,staff were very welcoming

• Reviewed: May 28, 2018

Right by the Harbour.

Nothing negative.

Right by the Harbour.Comfortable room with Harbour view.Excellent meal in Restaurant.Good breakfast.Friendly staff.Excellent value for money.

• Reviewed: May 23, 2018

What a find 😎

Nothing to dislike. Can't wait to return! 😊

Totally dog friendly. Fantastic staff. Rockin live music. Outstanding food (vegan & vegetarian catered for). Lovely location. Julian has thought of everything 😊.

• Reviewed: May 19, 2018

Great food at this harbourside inn.
    • Economy Double Room

Negative first impressions on entering a dark unloved hallway, needs a bit of an uplift. Bathroom small and poor but bedroom was spacious and nicely decorated.

The excellent restaurant was full on a Tuesday. Great dinner with helpful, friendly staff. Good location, easy stroll into town. Our standard room (last available) still had a good sea view.

• Reviewed: May 19, 2018

One of the best hotels that we have ever stayed in.
    • Double Room with Balcony and Sea View

This place is the place to stay when in Minehead. every aspect of this hotel is 100%. the whole team are the best ever. They are so attentive and make you feel very welcome.

• Reviewed: May 14, 2018

Beautiful inn with in a beautiful location.
    • Economy Double Room

Flat pillows and very noisy room as we were next to a staff store room that seemed to be in constant use from 7am to 12am! Also the payment for our room is pending twice on my debit card meaning we had less money to spend at the weekend than we thought! Very disappointing as we were supposed to only pay at the hotel! Apparently this is because Booking.com held our payment also! I shall keep a close eye to make sure that both payments dont go through! However this will not deter us from returning but I will be more choosy on which room we stay in.

Location is second to none, staff are very friendly. The hotel is full of character and so beautiful.

• Reviewed: May 14, 2018

It did the job it was meant to do
    • Double Room with Balcony and Sea View

Shower, no where to put shampoo ect only on the floor of the cubicle and the cubicle was so small when you bent to shampoo you bang your head. No where to put your toiletries in the bathroom as the only shelf is so tiny.

Great views from my room. Very big comfortable bed.staff very welcoming and friendly. Food was very good. Very clean.

• Reviewed: May 13, 2018

Fantastic staff - shame about the building.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The property itself was in great need of renovation, very dark, especially in hall and stairs area. We had a balcony, which you could not use due to the condition and size of it.

Staff were fantastic, very helpful. Lovely food and very comfortable beds. Very nice location overlooking the sea.

• Reviewed: May 13, 2018

A great stay in a memorable place. The staff and food were the shining lights.

Rooms are nice and clean but steady. Fine for me and the guys but not top quality.

Great location, super atmosphere, really good food (we even had a live band). The staff were excellent.

• Reviewed: May 7, 2018

Good location.
    • Economy Single Room

My room certainly needed a bit of a spruce up decor wise and the bathroom desperately needed a refurb. Please note, it was all clean, just incredibly tired. Whilst it met my needs OK (spent my time out walking and just needed somewhere to sleep and shower), it wouldn't be a place I'd take my partner to stay. Perfectly functional though.

Good location. Short walk in to town. Also very close to the lovely footpaths up North Hill. Staff very friendly. Breakfasts good quality and cooked well.

• Reviewed: May 2, 2018

Friendly, attentive service. A good pub and good accommodation. Nothing was too much trouble.
    • Economy Single Room

Staff were excellent - friendly, knowledgable and had character. Food was excellent I had steak the first night and Pub Curry the second -both were provided in a good time and were expertly presented and cooked.

• Reviewed: April 30, 2018

Excellent Food & Staff, short walk to beach, bars and restaurants. Steam Train also near.
    • Double Room with Balcony and Sea View

As usual coming home, felt very relaxed, had lovely room with sea view.

The staff were so friendly and we stayed in the restaurant for meal, it was excellent food and the few times we have stayed always busy. Best Rib Eye I have had in a long time and I have eaten in some excellent restaurants in London and Barbados. Breakfast relaxed and very good service and again food. Well worth a visit and eat on the premises.

• Reviewed: April 24, 2018

Hidden gem in Minehead
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

We loved the friendly and helpful staff. From the moment we arrived until we left they were all super professional and naturally caring about how we were enjoying our stay. The breakfast and our evening meal were superb. The location is perfect, plenty of parking and easy to walk to Minehead town center. Dunster Castle is a few minutes away by car. We will back for sure!!!

• Reviewed: April 19, 2018

Lovely friendly staff, great food and great aspect
    • Superior Double or Twin Room with Sea View

There was no phone in the room to ring and ask for an ironing board, but not a problem. Perhaps a travel iron in the room would be great.

Service, food and the room and the bed was so comfortable

• Reviewed: April 16, 2018

Lovely comfortable and clean. A great location for exploring the beaches.

My dessert was not nice. I had adult jelly that was as tough as leather with no taste or flavour at all. I waa still charged even though it was inedible. But this was the only downside to an otherwise perfect stay.

The meal was delicious and set out nicely.

Browse The Old Ship Aground Traveler Photo Gallery