Reviews of The Bull Inn 5 stars

The Street, Barton Mills, Mildenhall, IP28 6AA, United Kingdom

#4 of 6 hotels in Mildenhall

There was nothing I didn’t like.

It was a beautiful property very clean and the staff were lovely. The food was also brilliant would definitely stay again.

• Double Room Ensuite

It was not clear from the description quite how close the hotel is to a very busy main road. The bedroom faced the road; it had good double glazing but it was too warm to keep the windows completely shut, so it was a little noisy.

The food, both at dinner and at breakfast, was excellent. The decoration of the room was quirky but the room and bed were very comfortable.

• Double Room Ensuite

drinks were a little pricey

Right from the moment we arrived, it felt like such a friendly, happy place to be. Rooms were clean and comfortable with all that you could require. Food excellent.

Leaving!

The staff were so welcoming and helpful! It was my gf birthday and I brought along a cake to surprise her at dinner and they were more then accommodating! Set up our table with a load of diamonte’s a nice pink overlay! Brought the cake out and sang for her! Was super nice of them. The staff were always on hand to answer any questions and gave loads of advice as to getting to the races as we went to watch the 2000 Guineas. Super awesome place. Beautiful setting and was lucky enough to be visiting on the hottest weekend of the year (great planning on my part). Had room service for breakfast, food was delicious 👌🏻 Definitely come again.

• Small Double Room

The (CFL) ceiling lights in the room took a while to warm up and reach full brightness. The window in the main room was a little draughty, but the room was generally warm enough regardless.

Staff were very friendly throughout, and gave good service. Inn was comfortable; with a traditional pub feel to it. Food (in the bar) was excellent quality and was well cooked.

I’m not sure anything could have been! It’s unfortunate the property is located on the road but nothing that can be done about that and we chose it because of the convenient location so can’t complain

Staff were lovely and food was great.

• Small Double Room

Bed topper was very thick and therefore made the bed very hot. Also the music from the bar downstairs was very loud and just below my room. It did go off at 11 however, as I was up early and had had a long day, I was hoping for a quiet night.

The Food was good, as were the friendly staff

• Small Double Room

nothing at all it was all fabulous

Bed was super comfy all the food was amazing and the staff were all just gorgeous such a warm welcoming friendly place to stay will be returning very soon.

• Double Room Ensuite

Our room smelled. It also had uneven floors. Not two levels, slanted at an angle. The entire upstairs smelled of sour mildew. We booked for 8 nights and left for a different hotel after the 4th night. We we're still charged for 8 nights.

Restaurant and the Pub were great.

Car park had litter kicked into the grass around the edge. Builders working on the property and no mention of this from owners or when they are about to stop working. Cold bathroom. Asked if I had checked the radiator valve (yes). Did not like me saying it should have been warm when we arrived. Asked if they would like us to leave and the owner said "I don't give a toss". They will say I was rude, but if I was they were much better at being rude than I am. We left the following day and found a place offering much better value. £150 for B&B is overpriced for the facilities offered, ignoring the rubbish in carpark, the approach of the owners and terrible noise from the A12. In keeping with the overpriced accommodation, the steak I had was OK, but not of the standard one would expect for the price tag. Avoid if you can. Better options near by.

The bed was comfortable and the towels were of a good size.

• Small Double Room

We thought breakfast was quite pricey particularly as I'm never interested in a cooked breakfast but I gather the cooked breakfast was very nice. It would be nice to have somewhere comfortable and cosy to sit and read the paper after dinner freeing up tables in the pub/restaurant.

Staff very friendly; we ate in the pub both nights and the food was very good, best steak I've had in a long time; location excellent for Bury St Edmunds where we went for the Christmas Market which was delightful; we were also visiting relatives who live nearby and we were well positioned for them too.

• Small Double Room

Only concern was that of traffic noise from close proximity to A11.

Very well decorated comfortable room. Steak burger was delicious. Charming helpful staff.

• Double Room Ensuite

Bar meals were a little expensive but a very minor criticism of the hotel of this quality

Stayed in the cow themed room and yes it did get you in the moooood... The bed covered two counties and the double ensuite shower was very clean as was the whole hotel with Friendly Staff... Highly recommended will be using The Bull again

• Double Room Ensuite

Apparently we were upgraded for free... thank goodness we were because I wouldn't have been happy with a lesser room for the price paid. Also for the price I think breakfast should be provided

Manager was exceptional

A11 road is very busy and can be a bit noisy.

Great location for Newmarket Races, good food, great staff. We all enjoyed our weekend and we were well looked after.

• Small Double Room

The bed was was so uncomfortable it gave me a bad back and the bed linen was yellow and disgusting,. The room was small, tired, paint pealing from the ceiling, the shower leaked all over the floor, the internet was intermittent and when working extremely slow. The staff were rude, unhelpful and wouldn't let me cancel my last nights stay. Even though I asked them not to take the money for it and re advertise the room they still processed the transaction. I didn't stay there on the last night but stayed at a travel lodge instead which was far superior. It was a horrible experience and I wouldn't stay there for free!!!

Nothing - well leaving!!

Parked in the only considerate spot that was available at the time only to get a *the most ridiculous park award" stuck on my windscreen, It was the only way to park without causing your other guests any problems,

Cool hotel, nice and quirky, good staff.

Room excellent but too small for the amount paid. Sadly would not pay £160 for such a small room again and will need to look elsewhere as we often stay overnight in this area.

Setting good, atmosphere good, food amazing,

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

• Small Double Room

Wish I could have stayed a few more nights.

Ordered the supplemental breakfast but there was so much food I couldn't eat it all. I travel to different countries every week so I see my share of hotels and Inns. The Bull Inn is my favorite, hands down.

• Small Double Room

Nothing, it was all fab!

The staff were SO lovely and friendly, made our stay very relaxed and enjoyable. Also had the most delicious dinner and breakfast, food was unbelievably good- fat exceeded mine and my (fussy) partners expectations and was not only delicious but beautifully presented!

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• Small Double Room

TV reception is poor could just have been a fault in my room but Wifi is very good so didn't miss the TV

Quirky Hotel. Very different to the norm but non the less fantastic.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

This was my third stay at the Bull and I was extremely disappointed in the service and the cost of the stay. The only room available at time of booking was a superior room and therefor at extra cost. On arrival I found the room to be smaller and appeared no different to the standard double room that I had previously stayed in. Superior room £125/ night and £12.50 breakfast; total £135.50. The bull is a good hotel in general but not that good. Welcome at reception was, I felt indifferent. Bar staff although friendly were disorganised and this was not the first time. When I arrived at the bar in the evening for a meal there were two staff members huddled around the till trying to solve what appeared to be a problem although I was eventually acknowledged it was some time before one of the staff left and the remaining person then proceeded serve a group of people who entered the bar some time after myself.. There then followed a debate on the age of the person trying to buy drinks, this was finally settled by supplying soft drinks to all of the recently arrived party. Note: the bar was not full at this stage, two people seated at the bar and me stood waiting to be served. It then took another 15-20 minutes to take my order for food. The final straw came when I went to the bar after finishing my meal ( which was very good) there was another disagreement and long delay at the till with two customers who were paying their bar bill and nobody else serving, total dis-organisation and one unhappy customer. Rant over.

Food was good comfortable room good location.

• Small Double Room

Everything was wonderful, thank you

My 3rd stay here and as before, absolutely brilliant - quite a gem! Wonderful staff, so friendly and welcoming. I don't travel much for work but hopefully will be back again next month

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

• Double Room Ensuite

We loved everything, from the minute we arrived we were greeted with warm friendly staff all our needs were met! The lunch was delicious especially the beef with horseradish yummy!!! will definitely be going back, Flying Cow here we come.

• Small Double Room

Very expensive breakfast (£17) and generally overpriced. There are lot's of added extra's so expect to pay more than the quoted price. B&B is also a little noisy due to the busy road alongside.

Bed very comfortable. Room a good size.

• Reviewed: 1 April 2017

• Small Double Room

Stayed here for last 3 weeks and will be staying regularly in the future. The steaks are out of the this world and perfect! Lots of choice for food and breakfast is cooked to order, so may take a little longer but it's hot and fresh!

• Reviewed: 1 April 2017

• Small Double Room

What a great find, I'm travelling to this are regularly for business, the staff and food are fabulous, so glad I found this little gem. Thank you Team Bull

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

• Double Room Ensuite

The Manager charged us for an additional night that we did not stay! Said that their policy is rigid and would not consider any reason on why we could not stay two nights. Though we would like to have stayed at this hotel for the two nights, it was not possible and out of our control and the Manger didn't care! They were not full and could have rented the room again but she was not interested... I will not stay here again and I would not recommend this to others due to her poor attitude ~ Extremely Unprofessional Demeanor!!!! with no customer service skills at all.

The room was very well done and bar staff was very professional.

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Unfriendly, unhelpful and inflexible staff. We were travelling with a baby who was clearly made not welcome. Breakfast was overpriced and the portions small. We were charged for drinks we didn't order.

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

The room was cold because the heating was off and it also needed some renovation, as there were scuff marks in the walls and a hole in the main door. (See pictures). The location is next to a motorway and we could hear the roar of the traffic. We could hear the music from the bar in our room. The food and drink was too expensive. I have never paid, nor would I pay £12.50 for a cooked breakfast. Due to it being so expensive, we ate at another restaurant and only had a few drinks in the bar.

The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was nice. The bar was inviting. The staff were friendly.

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

• Small Double Room

Having completed check in, paid, and obtained the room key, and having been shown my room, the atmosphere quickly changed when I went outside a little while later, when I was told that I needed a credit card (which I had left at home - simple mistake). Disaster. The hotel team came across as hostile and that they didn't listen nor couldn't care at all. They ruined my plans, but that didn't stop my phone ringing with hostile requests to hand back the room key, which I volunteered into the deserted reception area a while later.. (as It's their property and despite the management mindset, I was to act honourably). It's weird and extraordinary how badly a business in "hospitality" can treat a customer. Don't say you haven't been warned!

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

Sent my daughter there for her wedding night they refused to give them a cork screw to open there wine, no where to obtain a drink from not even water, no staff on either through the night to help with anything, they were totally disappointed

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Double Room Ensuite

Quite pricey for bed only. Our room could have done with some freshening up e.g. plastic bit at the bottom of the shower screen and touching up the paint in places.

Staff were helpful and friendly. Very easy to find. Good facilities in the room.

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

The receptionist seemed a little upset that we had the temerity to arrive prior to check in time, although to be fair the room was available earlier than normal check in time. Once in the room, it didn't appear to have had any layers of dust removed for weeks. There seems to be an ongoing programme of improvements and alterations which obviously contributes to the dust levels. The breakfast was priced for individual items as opposed to a set price.

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

• Small Double Room

Overpriced. Dated decor. Dirty stairway and bedroom. Bathroom floor tiles were loose and dirty. Very small room with the bed pushed up against the wall. Windows covered in mound in both bedroom and bathroom.

Good was ok but overpriced.

• Reviewed: 16 July 2016

Fan noise all might.. Had to keep window closed to keep outside noise to a minimum, then it became too hot and duvet was too thick.

Service was good at the restaurant and food well presented if a little expensive

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Small Double Room

OK so we left it to the last minute and picked the place at random so we paid somewhat over the odds for the room (the smallest and last available). Room was very hot although there was a fan (once we managed to extract it from the cupboard - somewhat of a puzzle). TV didn't work on a lot of channels. Some drinks were a little on the pricey side so avoided those.

The food was great although a small issue with the starter which apparently got mentioned to the kitchen.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Small Double Room

There is a horrible smell in the corridors of the hotel - it really makes you feel sick. I am sure it is something from the kitchen drains/dish washer. I've noticed similar complaints from previous customers. The B&B managers/owners should do something about it.

Breakfast; Bathroom; Staff in the pub restaurant.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

The bar shut at 11.00pm even for people staying which I think is too early. Breakfast was poor, I ordered a door stopping bacon sandwich which contained two rashers! And was very expensive as I had noting else £12.95! Also the room was very hot and the noise from the main road was very noisy making it a poor nights sleep.

The rooms were nice and clean

Proximity of toad but actually didn’t affect our stay

Individually designed rooms Friendliness of staff Attention to detail

• Small Double Room

Had dmail confirming se had Zebra Room only to find we were put in another room!

Boutique feeling

• Double Room Ensuite

Breakfast wasn’t included.Overpiced compared to other hotels.

• Double Room Ensuite

A charming, friendly and quirky inn that we very much enjoyed. Had a delicious family dinner there.

No dislikes

Great location, good off road parking, great staff, great food and very clean and comfortable

• Double Room Ensuite

Friendly staff! Fabulous food!

• Small Double Room

It was an emergency stop. It was wonderful. I was alone and the staff made me feel safe and welcome.

everything

• Small Double Room

Some parts of the room showing wear and tear.

The hair straighteners and decor. Water was also nice and hot.

• Double Room Ensuite

The breakfast was too expensive.

Very comfortable bed.

• Double Room Ensuite

Staff attitude on reception was unfriendly.

Room decor.

• Small Double Room

An excellent stay, very welcoming place. Meals were excellent

• Double Room Ensuite

Spacious room, fully equipped and comfortable.

• Small Double Room

Small room, themed decor good but a bit tired.

Excellent food. Comfy bed.

• Small Double Room

Breakfast was a disaster. Asked for 2 poached eggs on toast.ggs appear in an enamel dish with no toast.

Very good roomy shower

Noise from A14

Food is great,also nice walk by the river

• Small Double Room

Great evening Meal and very nice setting Room Small but had everything I needed and Bathroom was excellent

• Double Room Ensuite

Bed linen, towels tired - reception staff poor

Nothing it was perfect

Wonderfully welcoming staff clean qwirky room

• Double Room Ensuite

Very friendly and welcoming staff. Had some drinks in the bar, followed by a lovely dinner and a few more drinks. The breakfast was excellent.

• Double Room Ensuite

Excellent staff and wonderful breakfast.

The style of the hotel

Fantastic room

What?

Awesome staff, wide selection of brews, courteous people, excellent location near Mildenhall. I WILL stay here again!

Room was lovely, meal was Delicious.

Traffic noise!

Relative good restaurant (acc.UK standards.)

The food was excellent, we enjoyed everything we ordered. Our compliments to the chef!!

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

• Small Double Room

Everything. The staff was wonderful, the food was top rate, and the bar was properly stocked.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Double Room Ensuite

Carpet looked extremely old and worn down.

Great bar and restaurant

Having a step to/from the Bathroom

The Food was of a good Quality

• Double Room Ensuite

Very good stay fine facilities with great staff

Excellent staff very helpfully. Great food

• Small Double Room

The accommodation team and the brusque 'manager'

The food in the restaurant and the cheery serving staff

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

• Double Room Ensuite

Loved the liquid soap supplies in the bathroom and the bed was great

• Small Double Room

The room rate was bit pricey for what was on offer.....

Every member of staff worked as a Team and provided 1st Class Service