Reviews of The Parkbury Hotel 2 stars

The Broadway, Sandown, Isle of Wight, Sandown, PO36 9BB, United Kingdom

#9 of 15 hotels in Sandown

Bathroom was clean but a little dated. Parking could be an issue if more than one coach party.

Lovely gardens, comfortable and spacious rooms, good community areas, very friendly and welcoming staff especially Kevin, the hotel manager. Breakfast was very good, with the option of evening meals if wanted.

I wasn't unhappy with any aspect during my stay

Pleasant staff to look after you, knew it was already a dated hotel as have stayed before but it's clean and comfortable and only a short walk to the seafront.

Maybe not leave the butter out when laying up for breakfast night before..only a small point !..

Fantastic staff ...Warm and friendly ..Although shorthanded..Nothing too much trouble..Thanks for a great value stay...

The hotel seemed understaffed, one girl was run off her feet due to the manager being away. Breakfast tea was poor.

The hotel is very near sandown station and 10 minutes walk from the beach and bus stop to shanklin. Breakfast was ok, and the room was clean and funtional.

It was quite stuffy indoors. We visited on a warm week and I felt that the air didn't circulate well, and I'm sure some radiators in the hallway were on despite the heat. The hotel is quite dated but reasonably good value. There were some issues when we checked in saying our payment had been declined but once I managed to get on my bank app to show booking.com had taken the money directly when we booked two months earlier it was sorted quickly.

The hotel is quite central. When the small car park wss full we found parking easily on an adjacent road. The staff were friendly. Our room was spacious. Breakfast was included and my husband enjoyed it each morning.

There is no cold water from cold water tap. Water from both taps are in terrible conditions. I saw small bugs and dirts in both cold and hot water tap!!!!

location is ok

The room my son was first given had not been cleaned and the sheets etc still on the bed. The next room he was offered was very nice. No light bulb in my room or outside room 16. The duvet on my bed was stained although had been to the laundry so I did not complain

The room was comfortable and the staff excellent

Needs a big refurbishment. Very short staffed (there was only one lady dealing with everything). No staff for reception and bar. There was a broken lamp in the room, although I pointed this out nothing has been done. Only a little soap in each room, no shampoo or shower gel.

The lady was very kind, when we checked in she gave us two family rooms instead of one single and one double (very much appreciated). The hotel style is very nice. Breakfast was decent.

The rooms unfortunately were not up to standard, the 1st room we were in was a family room so was reasonably spacious, but poorly decorated, it smelled of damp and had ants crawling on the dressing table. The Wi-fi was extremely weak, we complained and were offered a choice of a further two rooms upstairs, which we were told had better Wi-fi. The rooms were very small in comparison to the family room, but the beds seemed ok, however the bathrooms were extremely poor. Eventually we were offered another family room at the other side of the hotel, there was no Wi-fi signal but the room was a lot nicer than the previous ones we had seen. However the sheets were dirty on the last night we stayed there despite them being changed during the day. We complained and were given fresh sheets. Both me and my partner liked the feel of the hotel itself and found the staff to be very helpful and friendly, however it is pretty clear that the hotel was very understaffed and they were all rushed of there feet doing overtime to make ends meet. This is a shame really as the hotel could be a lot better if the owner cared more about the hotel, his staff and delivering a better service to his clientele. The hotel rooms need to be redecorated, especially the bathrooms, in most cases the sinks and baths were incrusted with old dirt and rust. A lot of the furniture needs throwing out and replacing, like old beds and springy mattresses that have seen better days. The garden could do with some attention too as it was nice, but not as nice as on the original photos. The poor Wi-fi defiantly needs to be addressed to boost the signal throughout. This could so easily be a very charming 3-4 star hotel if the owner made more effort than just making ends meet.

Hotel itself was two Victorian houses joined into one. Has a very old rickety charm to it with creaky floorboards. A lot of the decor came from an old decommissioned cruise boat, this added to the charm of the hotel with signs from the original boat throughout and also some of the original wooden boat architecture which was especially evident in the main reception. Front garden was pleasant to sit in after a good breakfast. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

My comfortable room was on the Ground floor. It had light but the view from the room was obscured by the fire escape. I liked the way there were photos of cruise liners on the walls. The breakfast was buffet with the option of cooked English breakfast. The waitress was quick attentive and helpful. It was good that the extra item for cooked breakfast changed regularly

Needed a bit of a vacuum in the room (bathroom & bed perfectly clean). Decor a bit outdated (but for the price who really cares?)

Good location, breakfast amazing, staff lovely, quiet, bed comfortable.

The Parkbury is dated.cleanliness was below par.Room had cracked window. Bed Lumpy.Breakfast would have been ok, if the hot food was HOT not COLD .

Garden look nice . I managed to get a parking spot on site

tv reception was'nt great but could be down to area wifi would of been better in rooms as well but minor things

staff made us fill welcome food was great cleaners we,re polite and respectful had a great time and would come back and recommend to friends and family for a 2* its worth every penny

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

There is a guy with tattoos who is not very friendly, grumpy and walks around like he owns the place. Also has muttered stuff under his breath on a few occasions that we walked passed him along with glaring stares.

Nice large room and hotel manager very friendly.

Insufficient hooks for wet towels in bathroom, poor sound insulation between adjacent bathroom and our room, creaky bed.

Good location close to the station, town centre, beach and good transport links. Building and gardens were lovely.

Leaving.

All staff friendly and very helpful. Nothing seemed to be any trouble for them. They arranged the ferry crossing and got a good deal for us. Breakfasts good, filling and hot. Special early breakfast arranged (7.00am) when we had to start early and again no problem. Interesting nautical theme to hotel. Plenty of tea and coffee in room. Free internet available. Good value.

Parking was a little tight but managed to get a space . The TV was small and a little temperamental but it was okay for a single night.

The host was a cheerful soul. The breakfast was very good, plenty of choice

The hotel has good parking but we didn't find it immediately when we arrived.

The staff were friendly and helpful and a friendly coach party were staying there at the same time. We had dinner at the hotel and it was good.

Wasn't the cleanest place with lots of work needed .... I believe a working progress

Very interesting place , friendly staff & lovely breakfast

The shower pressure was VERY low - making hair-washing or even rinsing off difficult. The hotel is dated but it's clear that bit by bit modernisation is happening. Breakfast was ok but bacon and tomatoes had been cooked well in advance.

Interesting hotel with wonderful wooden paneling etc taken from RMS Aquitania. Clean, comfortable room. Friendly staff, especially Kevin. We considered our stay very good value for money. Thank you.

We had no hot water in our bathroom, but they had plumbers on site trying to fix this, think we just got unlucky

The manager of the hotel was the highlight of the service, was incredibly attentive and went out his way to help us, including giving us a lift into town so we didn't have to walk in the rain!

WiFi is only available in the communal area and my particular room did not have an upright shower although the shower pressure and temperature was very good.

Nice outdoor area, good sized room, communal TV lounge, great breakfast and friendly, helpful staff. Good value for money particularly for a solo traveller.

Free availability of hash browns (there was only one day without however this is because they like to vary the breakfast). Will be going back again!

The staff were amazing and really helpful.

The hotel looks a little tired and could do with refurbishment. However we got what we expected at a very good price.

Friendly and very helpful staff. Comfortable and very warm. Excellent breakfasts.

Internally, the hotel could do with redecorating. Although a small bar of soap was provided, shower gel would have been appreciated.

Impressive building from the outside. Great breakfast, good choice.

Nothing - all fantastic

Absolutely fabulous. Great value for money. Had an early flight- short walk straight into the Departure hall. Best bed that I have ever slept in. Restaurant - great food

I didn't know the WiFi password that's the only thing. It wasn't displayed anywhere. My own fault for not asking.But I didn't really need it.

The staff were very helpful and friendly. I'm a vegetarian and was provided with breakfast and dinner everyday. I was very comfortable in my room and am looking to book here again soon. :)

We were very happy with everything

I knew the Parkbury Hotel from when I lived on the Island so I knew how friendly the staff were. We had a wonderful weekend & the breakfast was very substantial

Rooms very hot and I struggled to turn the heating down. Hotel very clean but could do with some maintenence in places.

Good location, parking convenient, good size rooms, breakfast was good, friendly staff.

Sadly the wall between my room and the ajoining room was very thin. I could hear coughing and the awful early morning television programmes, this meant I didn't get a good night's sleep.

The hotel is fitted out with woodwork from the Atlantic liner Aquatainia, stunning workmanship. The staff were extremely helpful, excellent breakfast.

I only had a bath in the room but when I mentioned to the manager I would have liked a shower he told me I should have requested it when I booked so it was my fault not the hotels

Very comfortable bed. Room was well equipped

Hopefully constructive comments - my room was a little joyless (a bedside lamp would have made a huge difference) and the furniture a little shabby. Personally I would have liked to have seen a mattress protector on the bed. Also, there was only a bath, no shower. The hot water was exceptionally hot (I would perhaps suggest putting up a note warning guests of this).

EXCEPTIONAL VALUE FOR MONEY, very friendly staff, good standard of cleanliness, great location (especially for those using public transport, close to buses and trains), efficient service at breakfast and buffet well presented, lovely architecture and well kept gardens.

The breakfast only starts at 8, and when you travel in work 8 o'clock is when you start working and because is 20 min from Newport it doesn't work!

Very friendly staff, we were made very welcome for the moment we arrived even though everyone was very busy trimming-up for the tinsel and turkey trips. Very homely, food great. Excellent value.

Room needed refreshing, as was a little grubby on close inspection. TV reception abysmal on the tiny TV provided. Shaver light in bathroom not functional - hotel knew about this and were intending to change sometime...Shower worked but needed skill to ensure a flow of warm water, but on credit side, at least it didn't leak into bathroom.

Very comfortable room, particularly the bed. Friendly and helpful staff. Excellent breakfast with plenty of choice. Generous coffee and tea making facilities provided.

There were no towels or soap in the room, we had to ask for them. The bathroom could have been cleaner & the beds were a bit on the hard side. There were only sheets & blankets, would have preferred a duvet !

Staff were very friendly, breakfast was excellent.

TV reception poor.Bathroom window did not close. The room door was left unlocked after maid service. Breakfast was poorly cooked. The hotel had potential but was quite shabby. Many areas were dirty.

The bed was comfy. The room was warm.

Some updating would be good in the en-suites.

This is a very comfortable hotel, with everything you need for a lovely stay. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and do all they can to make your visit fabulous. There are good sized rooms with the expected facilities.

Nothing to fault.

Single room but with good ensuite. Very reasonably priced. Excellent breakfast. Warm welcome. Sandown extremely well served by buses and trains, even on Sunday morning.

On arrival we had a marvellous reception and friendly attitude.From the manager to the receptionist they were very attentive. the breakfast was good and we did not wait long for it.

I found the comunal areas were overly warm as the heating was on. A few double glazed windows spoilt the otherwise period feel of the place.

The building is a beautiful largely unspoilt Victorian gem & well located, stunning architecture inside & out & a well tended large garden area to the front. The breakfasts are hearty well cooked & varied. The manager Kevin & his staff Jade & Lisa made us feel very welcome indeed. Our room was kept immaculate & well stocked with tea coffee & towels etc

Wi-fi only available when in the lounge or reception area but still very nice as the lounge is very nice and comfortable to sit in. Great manager and staff

Royal breakfast, friendly staff, very helpful

I was pushed to the end of the queue, which was a tour group. For example, I arrived at breakfast at 8.00 (as told to by the hotel), they took my hot food order at 8.25. They always served the tour group first. All they needed to do was to ask me to arrive for breakfast at 7.45 or 8.30, and serve me first or last.

The history and style of the hotel. The area.

Definitely needs an update. Room basic. A very uneven floor entering the bathroom. Repairs needed. Shower a trickle and water scalding, although there was a warning on the opposite wall about this. TV signal intermittent. Shower surround grubby. Radiator had leaked. No mattress protector. Cup had lipstick mark still on the rim. Lots of minor things which could be easily addressed to make for a more pleasant stay. If you want the extras book elsewhere!

Friendly staff. Good breakfast.Bed was comfortable for me-I like a soft bed! Cheap for the area

For me two steps from the bed to the ocean would have been nice but I'm just being extremely picky. Would recommend and re visit

Excellent hotel with good food comfortable accommodation and too class staff. Yes it's an old hotel but it should not be dismissed . Service and comfort are everything they have both

Room,decor, facilities, and bath/shower

The breakfast was the only good thing, room dated , shower wasn't worth using & room wasn't cleaned, I WOULDNT recommend it to my WORST ENEMY, it was a major downside to our weekend, never again

I had some minor niggles on arrival, but nothing that was not put right when mentioned. The bed was not comfortable and we placed a second duvet on top of the mattress so we did not feel the springs.

Friendly, helpful and pleasant staff, who dealt promptly with the needs of the customers first. The hotel is spacious, clean and tastefully decorated. We only had one dinner there, but the food was of good quality and there was in-house entertainment on three nights. We met and spoke to other guests, some of whom stayed at the hotel regularly - always a good recommendation.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

All staff were friendly and helpful. Beneficial to have an adjoining room, for our granddaughters. Lovely building and garden, comfortable rooms. I understand that quite a lot of redecoration is going on.

Rusty bath tub, heating on with radiator filling all night, not great bedding but comfortable bed.

The good selection of fruit and cereals at breakfast.

Mattress did not have a cover, just the one sheet. This was remedied, but just an extra sheet, but the hotel did not have enough mattress covers. Bed side light dim, not really strong enough to read by. Shower curtain a disgrace, torn and flapping loose.

Staff friendly and helpful but expected to work very long hours.

TV in room too small and very bad reception most of the time, but we did not bring it to the attention of the manager till we were leaving so the problem might have been fixed.

Breakfast included in room price, good choice of cooked meals, fruit etc. Staff friendly and very helpful, we enjoyed our stay.

Didn't have a lot of things in the room. No fridge, iron or water. Dirty towel in my room on arrival. Informed staff every day and was still left on my bathroom floor. On the third day I left it outside the door. Water jugs not replaced daily.

Staff and GM was friendly and all very accommodating. Generous at breakfast and entertainment was great in the evening. Amazing garden in the front for kids to enjoy.

The entertainment was a bit desperate the night we were there. Would have been better not to bother. Shower control was coming off the wall and kettle leaked. We were only there one night so it didn't bother us much.

Lovely atmosphere, faded glory but in a nice way. Very pretty gardens and friendly staff. Very comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

The parking was a bit tight but we managed.

The breakfast was exceptional and the beds were good. The staff were very friendly especially Kevin the manager.

Bedroom was comfy but dirty window..cold tap stiff shower was not too strong....coffee cups saucers etc were dirty.....behind wardrobe and in shower room...black mildew mould can be seen...sorry expect better

Staff were friendly and very helpfull

Read above. Need a good management.

It's not clean. Shower is very slow. Bathroom has very little space. No provided clean cups the next day, and didn't even clear the used cups away at all no top up for tea and coffee, had to ask for it. Manager didn't care much about the customers! Will never book again this place.

• Family Room (2 Adults + 2 Children)

the ceiling access to the roof was flapping loudly if the windows are open, when complained to the on duty staff(Lisa) she said they can not do anything, complained further and asked if we could be moved but only twin rooms available whoch meant we need to separate with one child each- not so family holiday!.. Next we were offered to either have the ceiling tile propped open and let the draft come in or put up with the noise! offered to have it fixed and was told access needed to the roof... health and safety gone with the wind! in the end we kept the windows closed and didnt go in till late so would not feel the need to open it! luckily it wasnt that hot otherwise we may end up toasted in the room.... no follow up if we were ok....

quite near the beach, the breakfast staff were very attentive and friendly

Bedroom. Knob on cupboard door kept coming off and had already been glued on. Headboard on one bed kept banging on wall not fitted properly. Had been some sort of water leak on the ceiling all brown and stained. The room could do with a refresher to the 2017. Garden lovely.

Loved the breakfast and staff.

Understaffed. A stressed manager tried to unload his problems onto us. The bed was verey uncomfortable and had no matress protector. The bathroom had no functioning toilet roll holder. The step into the bathroom had a very small and torn peice of yellow and black hazard tape stuck to it, presumeably to warn of the step hazard. The water pressure was diabolical.

Breakfast was good and the breakfast staff was very polite and helpfull Breakfast room and lounge very comfortable and pleasant. Very nice and attractive building.

Hotel undergoing much needed revamp, my room not yet done. Two windows in the room, the one above my bed the glass was broken and taped with yellow and black tape, and plastic bags were stuffed into the frame. The frame had a bunch of old cobwebs on it. Wallpaper peeling here and there and water stains on ceiling. The Manager explained the hotel is being redecorated and refitted, half done so far, but I would not have let a room like that. The corridor and stairs were being wall papered and painted at my end of the hotel while I was there.

Full breakfast was good, staff were very friendly and helpful, bed was comfortable, good Wifi in public rooms, interesting building, has nice gardens though rain stopped me using them. Location was ideal and staff allowed my visitors to park there too for the Carnival evening. My young grandchildren were welcomed when they visited me, and the chef cooked small versions of the menu for the children.

Bathroom not that clean. Had to clean washbasin splashback tiles before use. No electric, tap shower only.

Comfy bed, quiet room, good breakfast. Plenty of ambience. Short walk to sea or town.

1.Downstairs room, so creaking floorboards in room above kept us awake. 2. Needs more car parking spaces. I was in last available space on Sat evening, it was very difficult to get into. I damaged my car (front under LH wing) on rocks around base of tree sticking out into car park space. (not too worried.)

Staff very friendly. Hotel very welcoming. Plenty of tea and coffee provided in room. We enjoyed our stay. Loved walking out into nice front garden with a drink on a hot summer evening. Very relaxed stay.

The staff were helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was freshly cooked, filling and delicious. We took my elderly dad with us and he loved sitting in the beautiful garden. Sandown beach is just a 10 minute walk away and Sandown train station just a 10 minute walk in the opposite direction. The new owners of the hotel are working really hard to refresh the decor and the reception area wood panelling which comes from the ship R.M.S.Aquitania was stunning. Will definitely stay there again.

Friendly helpful staff, willing to share there knowledge of the area and recommend places to visit, a well located Hotel with lots of character and history to go with it. It even has an exclusive classic mini parking bay.

Bedroom was scruffy not very clean no glasses for teeth in bathroom wallpaper coming off and old furniture. Overhead light broken in bathroom. Shade hanging off next to bed. Pictures on sight wrong 're bedrooms

Staff friendly

Could have done with a chair in the bedroom

Although there was only my sister and me, we were given a family sized room which was good especially as weather was very hot

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Our bathroom was dated but have been told it's the next for a refurbished, wouldn't stop us staying in the same room again though.

Lovely buiding with lots of features and Character. Great staff, and couldn't be more helpful. Ignore the last bad review as you get what you pay for and the manager was certainly not rude. All food was fresh and well cooked. We had a great stay an will be visiting again when next on the Island.

My room was a little bit mouldy where they've covered the ceiling over the mould and it's all bubbling through I didn't notice it but when I was on FaceTime with my family they noticed it until the little bit unhealthy There is Wi-Fi but is there any reception bit annoying

The choice for breakfast was really good the bed was very comfortable and the staff are just super nice

Decor outdated. Marks on walls. No fridge, wifi or bathroom toiletries in room. Shower pressure was terrible. Tv tiny & bad reception. None of the finishing touches that you often find now in hotels for this price range

Staff friendly at breakfast. Good location

Manager/care taker - Lisa was excellent in taking care of quests with a smiling face through out. 10 on 10 to her. Nice property and great breakfast.

Room was out of date. Bath and sink were 70 s very old. No evening meal or bar meal offered on one night so had to source ourselves.

Staff were excellent. Manager was very polite and tried to be helpful.. breakfast was excellent

The hotel is very tired. We had 3 rooms and all were very dusty and stale smelling. Bedding and towels were clean but curtains were torn and decor very dated. Extractor fans in the bathrooms were so thick dust they really wouldn't have worked.the bar had stale crisps and ready salted only with no other selection of nibbles considering this time of year is the start of the summer season. The television was not watchable downstairs or in the rooms as kept cutting out. When we asked the lady to have a look she said yes this regularly happens,then fix It if you know!!!!! I only paid £40 a room anymore and I would be asking for a refund. Money needs to be spent on this hotel or really it needs shutting down,which would be a shame. Don't expect any live music and there wasn't even a cd playing while we ate dinner. If you stay take some air freshener to hide the cigarette smoke smell. One night was enough. Hotel inspector needs to pay a visit as I've never seen so much dust on the skirting boards ,doors and the bathrooms floors. The managers really need to have a good walk round the hotel

Food was good

No wifi in rooms and TV didn't have many channels a tad disappointed. Shower was very low and the shower curtain wasn't great! The breakfast was okay

The room was quaint and comfortable, great value for money, staff were very friendly and helpful!

• Reviewed: 24 May 2017

we had no complaints at all.

friendly helpful staff,manager very pleasant and nothing was to much trouble.very large hotel so lots of places to sit and relax,we would go back again.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Our room was on the ground floor, the sash wooden windows did't work very well, plus you could not lock them when you went out, the carpet was grubby in the room. The bathroom floor was dirty, toilet ok. radiator was so rusty, & the heat from it was so hot, you could have serious burns from it. The shower did not work, so had to use the bath., but the water was hot. There was no view, thick net curtains at the window, cars park right out side.

The beds were clean & the towels. The tea & coffee in the room was ok. The breakfast was very nice, plenty to eat. The staff were very helpful, & friendly.

Browse The Parkbury Hotel traveller photo gallery