Reviews of The Pelican Inn

Bath Road, Hungerford, SN8 3JY, United Kingdom

#6 of 8 hotels in Hungerford

Our room was lovely and we wished we were staying more than one night! I enjoyed stretching out and relaxing in the long bathtub. There is a pretty garden area outside the pub/restaurant. Ample parking was available and the location was a very short drive to Hungerford where we shopped the lovely antique centres. From there we went on to visit Avebury, Stonehenge and Salisbury.

Rooms were poor quality, needed freshen of up, corridors and communal areas the same, shower was broken, toiletries were not replaced

Restaurant and bar area were lovely & the outside space was beautiful

We booked a table in the restaurant and they put us in the bar opposite the mens loo & there were some unpleasant men drinking in the bar,

We had 2 bedrooms and in one the loo was dirty in the other not enough towels and cups left

• Standard Triple Room

We liked the beautiful setting, our room over looked the stream and countryside. Ample parking. The manager was extremely helpful, she recommended and booked a local Indian restaurant for us. All in all it was a wonderful one night stay.

• Standard Triple Room

Although room 3 was adequate, the bathroom was awful, very basic, no where to put your clothes or toiletries and badly in need of total renovation, water slow to run and not very hot, as it was a big room shelves or a table could easily fit in. We had to leave early on our last morning but staff were inflexible regarding breakfast, not even cereals were offered any earlier than 7.30 so we left without breakfast.

Big car park, food and location.

The Bedroom was disappointingly small and the bed was only a standard double when most pubs with rooms have a king size bed for that price. We needed some air in the room but the kitchen extractor fan was right outside the room and on all night and meant a lack of sleep. The curtains were not lined. Not normally a problem but with the emergency exit light on 24/7 outside it was like a torch shining into the room. So neither of us slept well as a result. Can't tell what the other rooms were like tho.

Staff were friendly and helpful. The pub itself was lovely and the gardens a revelation with the diverted River Dun flowing through it.

The pub is beside the A4, a busy main road. Our room was on the front of the pub and, as it was warm, we opened the windows. Fortunately, we had brought ear plugs with us, which meant we slept well.

The pub is very well-finished, with a very pleasant bar and a veriety of areas to eat and drink. We had a very good home-cooked meal, served by friendly staff. The room was spacious and the bathroom boasted a very large bath.

Room (4) was very noisy all night due to a fan (assume relating to the kitchen?), which made it difficult to sleep. No soap in bathroom. Hand towel, although clean, had old bloodstain on it. evening meal (pie of the day) was a bit disappointing - portion of pie was small, with meal bulked out by vegetables.

Staff were very pleasant and efficient. Breakfast was excellent.

The only thing that let it down was breakfast we were at the end of service (8.50) but the bacon and sausage were very tough and had obviously been being kept warm for ages instead of cooked fresh. The other elements of breakfast were great.

It used to be cute pub stop over, now a low-end overnight. Not what I was expecting and not value gor money.

I stayed here a few years ago and really enjoyed it but what a difference now. Shabby run down rooms, no heating in the bathroom, average meals. Won’t stay again.

The staff were rude and the room was freezing , no extra blankets or heater . The window had been left open before we entered the room . No heater at all in the bathroom .

• Standard Triple Room

The bedroom we stayed in was still to be refurbished and although comfortable it was very dated and tired. Shower was awful and took half an hour to run bath.

Breakfast and food served in the bar was excellent

Bathroom was really cold, no heated towel rail and towels very poor (size and quality) and no glasses at all (e.g. for toothbrushes).

Good cooked breakfast and easy parking. Good size room, bed and bathroom!

Nothing excellent will certainly use againexcelkenr

Room was excellent clean size excellent very good having sofa tea making andbottles of water. Breakfast was verygood .staff very obliging nothing was too much trouble

The bedroom was on the cool side which did not worry me too much but could perhaps affect others. Warm water took some time to come through taps. Did not have dinner as Sunday night when dinner not served -not sure the website made this clear.

The breakfast was good as was service. Staff were friendly

Superb meal on the one night I ate in, excellent value, but more importantly the quality of the dish (wed special) was exceptional. Great beers too. The breakfast, included in my rate, was also to a very high standard of quality ingredients. I loved the stay, the locals were friendly and good fun in the bar.

The system for payment. The original payment for 2 double rooms (we paid for the 2nd room for the friends we were meeting there) was taken from my bank a/c on 08/11/2017, and I assumed that this payment would be cancelled when we settled the final bill on the morning of 05/12/2017, that being our share of the total bill for dinner, bed and breakfast for 2 couples. I even mentioned to the member of staff on duty that the original payment had been taken from my a/c, and they gave me to believe that this would be recredited and replaced by the new payment of £156.20, which was taken from my a/c on 06/12.2017. I have since discovered that BOTH amounts have been taken from my a/c. Firstly I contacted The Pelican Inn, who said they would bring the situation to the attention of the Booking.com rep., but I have heard nothing since. Secondly I contacted Booking.com, explained my problem to the helpful assistant who sent an e-mail informing me how to recoup my money. i am very angry about this, as the request is to send a copy of my bank statement to Booking.com., presumably to prove that the 2 sums have been taken from my a/c. Since this whole muddle has been the fault of Booking.com and/or The Pelican Inn, I have very strong objections to forwarding private information via e-mail to a third party. Unfortunately, if this is the only way of resolving the issue, I am left with no choice.

Standard of food at both dinner and breakfast. Comfortable and spacious room.

Stayed in room 2. There is a problem with the hot water. Staff checked boiler and confirmed it as ok. Water arrived at the room not very hot so a shower was full hot with no cold added !!

Nice bar, and good food. Room was comfortable and well finished

Very basic room. One cup, one glass and there were two of us. Heating had broke and not even a free drink to say sorry. It was late november and very cold

Food was good

location was good, we used one of the free walks leaflets to go for a walk along the canal. The menu for diner was good and the food tasty, Staff were helpful and the room comfortable.

Staff very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Very comfortable and excellent food. Although, in some parts the floor was uneven, it just added to the charm of this old building.

Disaster from arrival to departure: After a long drive from Belgium, a rough sea crossing and hold ups on motorway we arrived at Pelican Inn at 6pm last Sunday - hungry and exhausted. We were told no food available on Sundays (contrary to the Heartstone Inn website which says this pub serves food from 12-8pm). I asked was not a sandwich possible and received just a shake of the head from the older lady at the bar. So I got back into the car and drove to a petrol station to bring back sandwiches. For hundreds of years the definition of an 'Inn' has been "a place where weary travellers can find something to eat, drink and a place to sleep". Well I didn't get any sleep either because of a continuous loud rumbling noise beneath the room. On asking in the morning about this the breakfast staff asked "Did you have room 4?" I said yes. She said "That would be the industrial fan in the cellar under your room which stays on 24 hours". Then there was the noisy coming and going outside the room at intervals during night hours and early morning to a shed / store outside the window which illuminated the room with a security light coming on. The next morning I had to drive on to Plymouth and started off already tired. Weary travellers keep going to the next Inn where you must surely find a better place to stay than the Pelican.

Cooking smells did permeate into the room during the evening and there was noise from the kitchen but that was only a minor dislike.

Room was comfortable and clean and the location provided for a peaceful night's sleep. Staff were efficient and overall the facilities were good.

Within the guest areas there is huge cobwebs top of stair wells, it is looking tired in some communal areas. The back door lock is broken - therefore I didn't feel secure overnight.

I enjoyed the local bitters. The food there is good and the menu has a fantastic selection. Many of the staff were great but there was one that was very dour. There is a lot of rustic period features which gave an old world feel.

The strengths of the property, its history and its nature, are also its weaknesses. What seemed to be original windows are never going to going to provide you with a cosy environment when the first chill of autumn hits. The bathroom I had with an outside window was distinctly parky in September during my visit. A minor quibble however, you are paying for the history and that's what you get.

Location and nature of the property ie an Old Coaching Inn were excellent. If the feel of staying in an authentic old property is what you are looking for, you are in luck. Friendly staff, loads of parking space and fully acceptable breakfast combined for a thoroughly enjoyable stay. You also get a typical English countryside pub thrown in for good measure.

The queen bed in the family room was the worst bed I have ever slept on, it had been so badly damaged through previous use and should have probably been replaced about 10 years ago. There was no support left in the mattress and I was laying on the bed base. There was no way to get in touch with the caretaker or manager as there is no after hours contact details shared anywhere in the rooms or the landing leading to the rooms. The inner door to the guest rooms are locked to restrict access to the pub below, which is no problem but there is no way to get in touch in such a case. For me there is one fundamental requirement to ensure guests have a good stay and that is to provide a comfortable bed and sadly this was their biggest failing.

The lady at breakfast was very accommodating after some initial apprehension, when we requested additional chairs at our table for 2 unexpected guests. The garden outback is lovely!

Room allocated overlooking A4 10 meters. En suite cluttered. furniture in dinning area dirty like a railway seat one seat gave the impression of vomit. NO vacancies' on the board out side but only 2 rooms let, one of which was ours several rooms at the back of the property

Not a lot, being a Sunday the Kitchen was closed.

Decor is a little dated, but it matches the property. Need more sockets or USB charger points. Accessibility issues for wheelchair?

Breakfast area has alot of charm with many original pieces of local history on the walls. Parking is good, with a delightful setting in the Chiltern hills for the whole property. Beds are very well spring and a joy for a good night's sleep.

• Standard Triple Room

Bed was missing wheels at top end so made bed slope down at the head of the base, kettle couldn't be used due to extreme build up of limescale, bedroom dusty.

Staff were great really accomodating

Our dog didn't like the stairs, but then he's not allowed upstairs at home.

Convenient for walking the Avon & Kennet Canal. Food was good, we took advantage of the Pie and Pint offer in the evening and had breakfast in the morning, both were good.

Room not clean (hairs in shower, bin unemptied) Had to go downstairs with wet hair to ask for a hairdryer It is on the A4 main road and noisy (although not too bad at night) - I don't remember seeing this on the website as I wouldn't have booked it so I consider it a bit misleading.

I didn't really like anything about this place.

Room a bit noisy as next to the main road and above the pub. Bed not that comfy.

Breakfast was lovely. Bathroom great. Walk along the canal at the back of the pub was very enjoyable. Pretty pub with nice beer garden and hanging baskets.

Our room was at the back and there was some noise from a generator or similar throughout the night.

Great breakfast freshly cooked to order. Lovely friendly staff. Excellent food in restaurant. Lots of cosy places to sit in bar and restaurant .

Very friendly and helpful staff. I took my bike (so I could cycle the byeways by the Kennet & Avon Canal which is right by the Pelican) & they showed me where I could store it safely. I was given fresh milk for tea/ coffee in my room without having to ask for it. Norhing was too much trouble and it is exceptional value for money. It is my second two night visit and I will be back again!

• Standard Triple Room

We arrived on Sunday and no food was available in the evening. The bar closed at 10pm.

The location was just lovely with great surrounding countryside. The value for money was quite exceptional. The breakfast was well presented and tasted top drawer, with a varied selection and it didn't disappoint. I look forward to another visit.

We arrived in the Pelican Inn soaking wet on bicycles and were very glad to arrive. The lady at the reception said she had no newspaper for us to stuff our wet shoes. Similar unresponsiveness when we inquired about a place to leave the bikes (although we eventually were offered to put them in the shed). The Pelican Inn could be a delightful place. The rooms are standard and a bit outdated, the location on a frequented road not very romantic but the pub itself is charming. Dinner was good. If I should put the finger on a reason why, I'd say the staff simple didn't make the effort to make us feel welcome. The Inn is run by a chain that owns a dozen or so places. Given the standard of the room and the quality of the breakfast the price is on the upper end.

going home

food lovely especially the curry and the breakfast was the best we've ever had! lovely bar area and garden and the staff were smiley and attentive near to the canal for our walking trip

Being given a room that was above an extractor/ventilator fan in the kitchen. The noise from the unit was excessive and didn't stop all night. We didn't sleep a wink. Although we asked for a different room on arrival, we didn't get offered another room until the following morning; just as well, or we would have cancelled and gone elsewhere.

The breakfasts were very good, especially if you liked the cooked variety.

Location was a bit further than planned from our activity, but that isn't exactly their fault.

Warm welcome from staff who were extremely accommodating and flexible when we arrived hours before check-in time. Light lunch was quick, tasty and good value.

Room was very minimalist,very dated and poor quality everything. Bathroom something from the 80,s. Unfortunately overlooked the A4 which was a constant stream of night truck drivers passing by from 23.00-03.00... Due to the old style windows, they could only be opened about 2inches for air....making the night very uncomfortable. If you do plan to stay....try and get a 'rear room', well away from the A4 main road. Assuming all the room decor is similar....they need serious updating and making attractive to customers. ' Attention to detail ' does not exist.... such a shame in view of the wonderful bar,restaurant 'refurb downstairs'....

Bar, Pub and food were excellent....newly refurbished to a high standard.

Nothing to dislike about The Pelican, would certainly return if in the area again!

Lovely country pub offering very comfortable accomodation. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Although others managed it I believe, I could not get a WiFi signal at all. As a business stop over that's essential and it didn't work and became very frustrating. Also the Bedroom (no 4) was very noisy both from an AHU or something similar outside the window and some sort of altercation that happened in the middle of the night on the landing outside my bedroom

Excellent food - really big portions - too much almost. Also one of the very few Hotels I have stopped in (and I use hotels a lot for business) that offered me fresh milk in my room to make tea. A real bonus in my eyes

Excellent food but we had to cancel the desert as we had waited over 25mins and it still had not arrived. Reason, " we have a lot of food to serve"

Good service

Slightly bigger TV (only a minor gripe), but in this day and age something the size of a computer monitor dont cut the mustard!

Great food, varied menu well cooked & presented, easy parking.

due to the weather (mid heat wave), needed to keep the window open but all that did was increase noise from the road, although that was minimal until early am. Some other guests are maybe not as considerate as we would all like, and the age of the building meant that these people disturbed others because sound proofing not great, but it is a pub/hotel, so have accepted that this occurs. In some chains, people on corporate rates are even more inconsiderate so its what you prefer or willput up with. A fan would have been nice though as it was suffocating in the room.

The restaurant and bar staff were friendly, and the food was decent value (dinner) and well presented (breakfast). The room was a reasonable size, decent enough bed and internet was consistent.

It was a noisy bedroom from kitchen & bar below. We also were not told that we needed to ask for milk in the room.

They were very accommodating in allowing us to book in early, as we had a Funeral to go to. The food was good (although a little pricey).

• Standard Triple Room

Beautiful. Old English coaching house that's looked after inside and out. Lovely flowers and hanging baskets. Landlady gave us thermos of cold milk to have tea in our room. Menu looked great too.

That I booked a twin room as was traveling with my mother but when we had arrived booking.com had told the Inn that I'd booked a double room? I had my confirmation and as mentioned the staff sorted the problem, I'm just grateful they had spare rooms to do this!

The room was a good size and the food is amazing! There was a mix up with the room but the problem was rectified without any dramas!

• Standard Triple Room

Mattress was so old the springs had no tension. I was effectively sleeping on the wooded base below.

The facitilies were very old and tired. Hard to get the shower working nicely. Everything was very old and needed replacing.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Standard Triple Room

The lack of mobile coverage was annoying but that's nothing to do with the B and B itself. Wifi in the rooms would have been good. The bathroom was a little old fashioned but the shower was great.

The staff were great as were the breakfasts.

There was quite a lot of road noise from the location of the b and b, but obviously this is no one's fault. I still had a very peaceful night's sleep.

The breakfast was delicious, I had a full English and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

See above.

Nice place which we recommend, with the proviso that prospective guests do not book a room at the front of the building. It is situated right on the A4, and the noise of traffic denied us any sleep.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

Clean bedroom carpet.Service rather slow in the restaurant.

Most enjoyable stay. Staff very friendly and helpful (apart from one who seemed humourless). We had a very comfortable room, but some stains on the carpet. Food was very good, especially the crab pate! Very good value for the price.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

A couple of ladies that served in the evening were not welcoming and actually one a bit rude. The lady behind the bar during the day and who served breakfast was excellent and very nice and friendly. TV was not easy to work out.

Food was very good. Rooms newly decorated.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

Pressure in the shower was low; in comparison to the rest of the room, it could've been updated to a power shower.

The overall experience was great and I have been recommending this to lots of friends and family. The room was large and very comfortable, with lots of coffee and tea (and fresh milk and shortbread). The surrounding area was very beautiful and we walked down the canal back to Hungerford (about 45 minutes). Food was absolutely amazing. Staff very friendly.

Window outlook was onto untidy flat roof and noisy loud air con unit going all night which disturbed my wife's sleep. Curtains were too light which woke us up at 5am.

Breakfast was good but nights sleep was disturbed by air con. Room was clean light and modern.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

A very nice pub with excellent restaurant on old Bath road and close to Kennet and Avon canal. Good range of food (much better than average pub). Very friendly and speedy service.

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

No comment

The hotel is well situated on the Kennet and Avon Canal and for walking along the canal to Hungerford. The hotel is comfy and straightforward without pretension.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

TV to small, room I was in large stain on carpet and cold on first night.

Comfortable bed, nice food, good selection of beer, good location, fresh milk in the room.

Our Room 6 had a large silver 'pipe' outside of it on the roof. This made a loud noise until just after midnight which kept us awake. Opposite the room outside was a very bright, neon fire exit sign which lit up our room. As the curtains were very flimsy our room was bright all through the night, which again interfered with our sleep. Windows not double glazed. Big stain on carpet next to the bed. No heating in small ensuite bathroom.

Staff were friendly. The meal in the bar in the evening was very good.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

The food was excellent and staff very friendly. I did not have breakfast cos I had to leave early for work but was offered a coffee to take away. I stay away for work a lot and never been asked that once before the pelican customer service better than any big chain hotel

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Vomit stains on the bedroom carpet. No curtains/blind in the bathroom. Noisy room next too kithchens extractors. The vomit stain was totally unacceptable- disgusting!!

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Needs room upgrades some of the hooks on curtains missing which although not a big thing it made it look scruffy

Very good breakfast ,rooms were a bit dated and tatty in places,but the staff greeted you with a nice smile and extremely helpful excellent value for money and hungerford itself was delightful

Bathroom floor squeaked every time you walked on it an bath panel rattled when windy outside curtains in bedroom not hung properly several loops missing French door banged when windy an a sick stain on carpet beside bed

Bed was very comfy really enjoyed biscuits an hot chocolate very nice touch

Sunday lunch service was a bit slow and staff could smile a bit more

Food was excellent. Staff on arrival very helpful. Rooms comfortable and clean although a little musty smell

Breakfast choice limited, proximity to noisy road, room hot and window would not stay open!

Good size but basic room, friendly staff, excellent evening meal, and ample parking! Good walks from the property and a nice garden area. Great value for money, would stay again.

The bed was uncomfortable, springs sticking up. There was a loud noise (humming sound) throughout the night which intensified at about 5.00am so we didn't sleep too well. We left early and so missed out on breakfast.

The pub downstairs was very nice.

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

Unfortunately there was some noise from the main road, especially whilst eating. Though the double windows in the bedroom helped this.

Breakfast was delicious ("best hash browns ever"). Dinner was lovely, with a couple of good veggie options, as well as veggie sausages at breakfast. Very friendly staff. Bed was very comfortable, and a nice big bathroom.

Cobwebs on bedroom walls. Black scale in the kettle. Pasta dish portion fit for a child. Staff fairly disinterested although polite - no going the extra mile here.

Bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 25 February 2017

Shower door and tiles around the bath had marks on, otherwise no complaints at all.

Friendliness of staff, good food, location, pleasant surroundings, and general spaciousness within the Pub.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Wifi wasn't working although they did say it could have been due to the weather. Unusual not to be able to get into the pub or have a drink at 2210 hrs on a Friday!

Breakfast was fantastic - freshly cooked and local produce - excellent. Bottled water in the bedroom - a lovely extra touch.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

The bed springs were protruding through the mattress and it was unacceptably uncomfortable. Cushions on bed were smelly and throw was dirty. There was a noise which sounded like an extractor on constantly all night no idea what it was or where it was coming from. Room was not cleaned on second day. Not even clean cups for tea and coffee! Food was ok.

We were greeted by friendly staff member. Real Ale was really good. Spacious room

• Reviewed: 21 January 2017

• Standard Triple Room

Travelling to the hotel i had a "courtesy call" to advise me that the kitchen closes at 3.30 on a Sunday and it wasn't open for an evening meal, pretty poor for residents 👎

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

• Standard Triple Room

Staff alternated between friendly and very rude - we tried to be as polite as possible but it didn't seem to make much difference! At breakfast our tea or coffee order was taken from the other side of the room, and then an irritated sigh greeted our request for water, which we would have asked for when giving the tea/coffee order if it had been taken at our table.

Excellent food - definitely get breakfast included the bacon sandwiches were incredible, good location for visiting other villages (although no public transport and, as non-drivers, taxis were expensive). Beautiful countryside around as well, the duck pond was very pretty. Particular mention to Scarlet who was lovely and very attentive to our allergy needs for food!

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

These are small points! Some repair work in the bathroom had resulted in an unsightly gap in the flooring around the toilet pedestal and the panel on the bath was very loose. The mixer for the shower is a bit challenging in the bleary-eyed early morning.

Breakfast was good, the staff are helpful and friendly and the standard of cleanliness is high. It's a building with a lot of character and interesting photos and charts on the wall. The pub is on the A4, but you get a really peaceful night's sleep. It's a good stop-off point to break the journey between London and the West, and the lovely towns of Hungerford and Marlborough are not far away. I appreciated getting a flask of real milk for my in-room coffee and tea. Our Sunday night special offer made for excellent value.