Reviews of The Pennington Hotel 3 stars

Main Street, Ravenglass, CA18 1SD, United Kingdom

#4 of 4 hotels in Ravenglass

Such a lovely stay.
    • Standard Double or Twin Room

There was nothing to dislike about this hotel.

The room was clean and comfortable. The food was excellent especially the breakfast. The staff worked very hard to make our stay a happy one

Apart from noisy door in corridor a pleasant 2 days around the area.

Door outside our room 4, in the corridor (even though it was a fire door) hadn’t any handle or latch on it so every time someone went through it the door banged shut,very disturbing especially early morning or late in the evening, staff were aware of problem as we weren’t the first to mention it.

Nice staff, good location in quiet area, breakfast cooked to order,

A too brief visit. I was travelling by train and was caught by the strike and had to leave at 9am to

I was dissapoined with my cooked breakfast the scrambled egg and sausages were over cooked as I was early into breakfast I would have expected better.

The bedroom was very comfortable and well presented. I like Ravenglass having visited for over 60 years.

A great place to chill out.

The location,about 3 minutes walk from the station.The staff were very helpful and friendly.An excellent choice of food and drink,large portions! The room and bed were excellent.

Overpriced
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Resteront poor, Evening meal I had fish and chips this was very nice, however my wife had spaghetti with meat balls in a tomarto sauce. The tomato sauce was just tined tomarto nothing else. Breakfast was poor food was overcooked and not as discribed on the menu Disappointing overall

Rooms overall okay, bedding and beds very clean and comfortable. However room could have been cleaner dust on bathroom radiator and in corners of room.

A good place to stay for the location, friendly staff and enjoyed the food

The breakfast was a bit chaotic as only one young lady was taking orders, serving, cleaning the tables etc. So needless to say that when we arrived for our breakfast the place was a mess ie. breakfast dishes left on most tables. The young lady was doing her very best and tried to clear a table for us, but we ended up in the bar area. We eventually had our breakfast which was good, although a bit stingy having half of a black pudding. We also asked for a paper to be delivered but that didn't arrive. I got the impression short staffed. Please pass on our thanks to the young lady she was doing her very best.

Enjoyed stay in hotel, was was clean and the staff friendly. We enjoyed the evening meal and the dining room/bar area a good place to dine. The hotel set in a lovely location alongside the estuary and a short walk to the railway station. Good location for Eskdale and the steam railway to the foot of the fells. Also close to Wasdale Lake-a must to visit.

The position is perfect for the main line rail network and...

The bank holiday Monday had a shortage of staff so delays in serving breakfast were encountered. It only happened on this day and there had been sufficient staff over the weekend

The position is perfect for the main line rail network and the Ravenglass heritage line

Great location for Eskdale. the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway, the Roman Bath House and coast
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Friendly staff, lovely rooms with comfortable beds and great bathrooms - good power shower. Excellent breakfast with good choice of cooked or continental items. A lovely place to stay and we will be back soon.

Great for a short stay, the best hotel in Ravenglass.
    • Executive Double Room

The evening meal was disappointing, was looking forward to a lovely steak and ale pie but it was lacking in chunky tender steak, and quite dry. The room was big and the bathroom enormous, but to what purpose not quite sure. Needs an upgrade as quite dated. The TV was tiny, and looked out of place in the room.

Nice location with a lovely walk overlooking the estuary, was a sunny day so the views were fantastic. The staff were helpful and the hotel very tidy and clean.

Nice a step back in time ,would go back.

Better adjustment of heating ,bathroom too hot bedroom no heating on solved by keeping bathroom door open.we turned down the offer to do our room first day because it was evening and we had just returned to room but after that nobody did the room at all would have liked more teabags ,towels changed and bin emptied but we should have asked l suppose.

Nice hotel nice place ( bad weather) very friendly and helpful staff nice decor in room and around the hotel

Nice Stay

The free WiFi was a little unreliable, it seemed to vary in different parts of the room sometimes weak signal sometimes no signal.

Staff were fantastic to resolve an issue I had and the bed was really comfortable for a good nights sleep.

Absolutely Fantastic - Lake District Gem!

The room we stayed in was fabulous, so comfy and cosy and so much better than expected as this was a last minute booking! The hotel's staff were so friendly and helpful, and their restaurant was fantastic! We ate there both nights and could not fault their food and meals at all, absolutely gorgeous! Would definitely recommend this hotel and would definitely return, such a little gem!

disappointed with things wrong in the room but food was good so overall enjoyed our stay
    • Double Room - Disability Access

shower ran cold. radiater and shaving light in bathroom never worked. towels and coffee etc not replaced or filled up until we asked. room was in reception area very noisy at night.

food both breakfast and evening meals were really good

Spacious warm room.

Mattress a bit lumpy. General disorganisation..staff seemed a bit stretched & no one really in charge eg people wanting to check out having to wait. Breakfast buffet needed replenishing but guests having to ask

Spacious warm room.Nice shower with good towels.Tasty food & beer. Very pleasant staff.Very good value for money

Pleasant hotel in lovely peaceful location

Room was too warm and even though it was the end of October I turned the radiator off and had the window open.

Excellent rooms, staff friendly, breakfast plenty of choice and substantial

Lovely stay,Lovely Hotel, Lovely weekend we both had in Cumbria.
    • Executive Double Room

Nothing we didn't like and would definetly stay at the Pennington Hotel again.

The Hotel was excellent, friendly and polite staff and always helpful. The food was also excellent, nothing we didn't like.

Pleasant staff Good hotel. Good room. Catering needs improvement
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

My husbands dinner of partially defrosted burger and soggy chips was atrocious. I went into the dining room later than my husband. I waited 10 minutes and no member of staff appeared. In view of the poor quality of his meal I decided not to eat. Breakfast was good

Staff. Room.

6.0
    didn't like being overcharged for dinner, didn't...

didn't like being overcharged for dinner, didn't pick it up till I got home ,as `i was in rush on Saturday evening on the way to meet friends .Charged r twice for breakfast and only rectified when I queried the bill .( no copy of bill produced , until hours later via e mail ) won't be back Dinner not great pie of the day not very tasty and lacked texture , sliders on the cold side and two out of three burnt . Breakfast ok

Enjoyable stay with good food

Reception not always manned. Bell there to ring but sometimes took a while to answer it. Would have been nice to have a few local printouts of nearby walks

Bed extra large, room larger than average, plenty storage space

Well worth a visit.

Disappointed with original room but Sarah went the extra mile and found us an excellent room as we were staying for four nights which was booked for a birthday surprise.

Central to places of interest

Good but could do with better training for staff

Read the above

The quietness, friendliness of staff, although the staff were not very professional I.e. The desk was rarely staffed, double bookings had occurred, and they tried to charge me £700.00 extra even though I had already paid and departed

Overall, this is a nice hotel with nice staff, house keeping could be improved up.
    • Executive Double Room

Cleaning, there was some food left in a cupboard which was dated 25 August Yuk.

The breakfast was absolutely delicious. The staff were very friendly. The room was big.

Fantastic stay in a comfortable, friendly hotel with a lovely courtyard art gallery.

Although very good, I thought the food was slightly overpriced.

The staff were friendly and more than happy to help. The room was quiet, comfy and spacious with excellent facilities i.e. ironing board, iron, hairdryer and laundry service.

3star, definitely no more but definitely no less.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

We were expecting more quality with the food after reading the menu and menu pictures.

It's a 3star, no more and no less. It was a bank holiday weekend and staff were pushed to the limit but still very friendly.

Recommend it to everyone who wants to visit Muncaster Castle (owl show)and Raven glass Steam Train.

The radiator of my room wasn't working.

Bathroom was superb. Room was nice and cosy. Breakfast was good especially the jam croissants. We asked for a cot and it was provided. We asked for warm milk for my little one and it was provided free of cost multiple times.

Something different

The staff in the bar more interested in playing on their mobiles than serving drinks to customers. Most unprofessional and should be restricted.

Being in a very quaint and unusual spot, lots of walks and beautiful scenery all around. The hotel is in a very special place. The bedroom and bathroom was lovely as was the rest of the hotel.

I intend to go back in the not too distant future.

The hotel is dog friendly which I knew before I went. I have no issues with dogs just the lack of control that some people seem to have other their pet.

The food was very good. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I was able to charge to my room the drinks I bought in the pub two doors down. My room had a view of the estuary but for anyone reading this and wanting the best view then room 7 is the one for you. My wife is harder to please than me but she had a great time so that was even better for me.

Dinner price confirmed on booking did not apply but was...

Dinner price confirmed on booking did not apply but was addressed by staff as we paid 'rack' rate. Pet charge not defined anywhere but applied on settling account

Lovely Ravenglass

Parking is a bit limited and I don't like the unfinished car park surface, it inevitably creates a mess in the car.

The hotel is nice and the village of Ravenglass is really lovely. It is also in close proximity to some of the finest Fells and valleys in all the Lake District

Not good value for money

Small details in the room need rectified. Only one pillow, stained ceiling, faulty light. Breakfast was awful, almost an hour wait, no table set up, forgot to take drink orders or put toast on the table. Had a veggie breakfast, sausages were rock solid.

Location and cleanliness.

It is what it says 3⭐️ But feels more like 2 ⭐️☹️
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Breakfast very poor selection of cereal etc, portions of fish very small at Breakfast. No staff to Top up coffee. Had to ask for Toast, No staff around to ask anything they are all rushing around NO time for anyone people just wondering around looking for anywhere to seat. We had a dog with us and we were put in a Disabled room, curtains wouldn't open the bed was so hard I don't know how anybody could sleep in it, because I didn't. As well has that you could hear everyone in reception, guests, phone, doors banging staff talking loudly as they were leaving. No concept of the noise they where making at all. We spent the best part of the night trying to calm our dog down and stop her from barking at every noise. We have stayed in dog friendly hotels before no problems at all. Needless to say Won't be going back.

Bar area

Great place for a weekend break

Nothing !

This is in a lovely location - Ravenglass is well worth a visit ! The food in the restaurant was excellent and the staff are friendly, welcoming and helpful.

Well worth a visit
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The evening meal was a little bit over-priced, other than that I 'm at a loss to criticise.

The room was extremely clean, The staff helpful and efficient, Overall the hotel was better than we expected.

Nice hotel in great location

Good large room with great bed & bathroom facilities. Roman blind not adjustable, making room dark. Unfortunately next to kitchen extractor:some noise late evening/early morning. Wouldn't put us off staying again.

Nice welcome. Great location-fantastic views just down road over estuary-beautiful sunset. Tidal beaches nice for walks but probably not suitable for children. Restaurant food good & reasonably priced. Good walks nearby (Muncaster worth a visit) and easy rail/car access to western lakes. Nice pub just up road for afew drinks overlooking the views. Hotel hosting local artist work-great to see.

Great little place, so glad we found it! What a gem!

Can't fault it. Great place

Great little place, so glad we found it! Staff are extremely helpful, nothing is to much trouble and they are a mine of information and helpful tips! The rooms where clean, well furnished and comfortable. The breakfast and pre-theatre evening meal where delicious and well presented. I would also like to point out that they offered the pre-theatre meal as ourselves and a few other guests where attending the theatre nearby - a lovely extra touch they needn't have done!! This little gem of a place comes HIGHLY recommended and we will definitely stay there again next time we are in the area.

As always the Pennington Hotel can't be faulted thanks to the staff. We will be back.
    • Double Room - Disability Access

Very friendly staff where nothing was too much bother. Very comfy bed, with crisp, clean bedding. Food was lovely views from our room outstanding. Overall an excellent hotel and to stay at the Inn turned out to be the bonus.

VERY ENJOYABLE 2 NIGHT STAY
    • Executive Double Room

Restaurant very good. Evening meals very enjoyable and breakfasts very tasty. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Plenty of interesting walks nearby and of course the 40 minute trip on the little steam train to Dalegarth was brilliant!

As usual, pretty good

Tried to organise some details by telephoning the hotel 2 days beforehand. When we arrived, as I suspected, they had taken no notice of requirements I had asked about e.g room allocation etc. I didn't like the annex room no 21 as the neighbours in the next room were up and around noisily at 4 in the morning. Also, the kitchen and hotel outside doors are just below outside so from 6am onwards noise was continuous. The dining room is very noisome as it has a stone floor and hard surfaces everywhere. It was busy on the evening we dined (excellent meal by the way) so very hard to talk to each other and be heard. I did ask for some bread but this was delivered to a different table and no one bothered to ask how the meal was going so I had to do without. Cheap catering tea with breakfast so I always take the tea down from the room which is far better.

Pleasant evening meal, very good breakfast. Generally friendly and helpful staff. Rooms were very clean. We come regularly and it is pretty good apart from a few silly, annoying, trivial things which never seem to change. Thank goodness, though, they have stopped playing muzak in the dining room- well done!

Coast to coast

Room was above the kitchen so heard the fans late into the night and early in the morning.

Clean and comfortable. Breakfast put out at 4am for cyclists.

Lovely hotel in Ravenglass close to La'al Ratty
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Excellent room and bathroom. Staff very friendly and helpful with local knowledge. Really good evening meal at excellent rate and the breakfast (plenty of options on offer with locally sourced food) very good and certainly as good as many higher starred hotels we have stayed in.

History and quaintness at it's finest.

The only thing I didn't like was that my stay was only for two weeks. I also visited the Muncaster Castle and it was delightful. History extraordinaire. Great service, good food, lots to do and see. Wonderful for whole families to visit.

The area was lovely. The village Ravenglass, was quaint, quiet, and full of easy to find tea rooms and history. The Pennington B@B room large and comfortable. the service was over and above what I expected. The food at the B#B was tasty, Walking along the Irish Sea at sunrise and sunset was spectacular! It was a safe and happy place.

Excellent family trip
    • Family Room

Nothing really. The two ladies running the reception, bar and restaurant are very efficient . You have to hunt them down occasionally to get attention but that's not their fault !

Excellent room on top floor - fantastic view of estuary. Also a separate room for children next to bathroom which is brilliant for parents who don't want to sleep from 8pm ! Lovely food and kids friendly restaurant.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Comfortable and attractive location
    • Double Room - Disability Access

The food was good and the pub a few doors down (also owned by the Pennington, I think, served good beers and was a great place for a drink. Traditional simple fisherman's pub, not messed around with or tarted up.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

The staff were very welcoming and nothing was too much...
    • Executive Double Room

The staff were very welcoming and nothing was too much bother. The food was really nice and reasonably priced. The hotel room was well equipped and comfortable. I would highly recommend this hotel

Great quiet estuary location for a gently and peaceful getaway.

We only stayed one night.

Our 'last-minute' room overlooked the sea, was large, airy and spacious and had a very comfortable bed to sleep in and a powerful and invigorating shower to wake up in. All the staff were friendly and helpful and the food and wine in both the restaurant and bar were of very good quality...especially the Romanian white wine.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Excellent coastal B&B

The pub fare in the dining room was very good but it would have been nice to have a more varied menu.

Location very convenient to the Lake District. Breakfast was excellent. Room and bathroom were clean and neat. Parking was plentiful and accessible. The narrow gauge steam train in Ravenglass is well worth riding.

A place to stay when visiting the western lakes .

The restaurant. Was a little sparse , but very clean .

Very nice hotel .room not big but comfortable , bathroom was big with bath and shower , it had complimentary items .soap ,shower cap etc . Dinner and breakfast were lovely ,a good and varied menu . Staff very friendly and obliging . Would stay there again .

Perfect location, helpful & friendly staff :)
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

Nothing to dislike unless you're a moaner!

Excellent stay at the Pennington. Having worked in business travel for many years, I was suprised at just how good this independent hotel was, it will certainly make me consider smaller hotels in future. The staff worked very hard and long hours but they were still courteous and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. We arrived early but our room was ready and they allowed us to check in straight away. The check in desk is not manned all of the time, but I do not see this as an issue, there is a bell that you press and then you use something called "a little patience" whilst you wait a second or two for someone to attend to you. Our little dog was also made to feel very welcome and they accommodated us in the bar with our dog for evening meal and breakfast which we really appreciated. Overall we were very impressed and will definitely be returning. Top job to all the staff. Thank you.

Ravenglass's place to stay

The restaurant food was ok but not really up to scratch, quality and service was good but the cooking was bit underwhelming. Good breakfast but same issue with the cooking.

Lovely hotel, they upgraded our room because it was our anniversary. The staff were great friendly and helpful. Room was clean and we kept our dog with us in his crate but we could take him into the bar area and through the hotel. The beach and walks are right outside the property.

A great hotel, however the bed and breakfast let it down.
    • Executive Double Room

The "Executive Double Room" we had booked came up as a "Twin" on the hotels portal but a quick call to the hotel confirmed it was indeed a double. The bed turned out to be very firm and you could feel the uncomfortable ridge where the beds joined in the middle which made our stay rather uncomfortable when attempting to sleep. We might as well have had the twin beds. Breakfast was also a let down (especially considering the evening food) we both had the full English option on the first morning, toast was forgotten (then arrived burnt), there was 1 small sausage which tasted a bit "off". The second morning I went for bacon and eggs on toast, the toast was forgotten again and then arrived burnt. My partner went for scrambled eggs with bacon on a muffin, the muffin came half cooked and was almost soggy.

The location was lovely and picturesque. The staff were welcoming, attentive and friendly. The evening food was sensational and the bar was suitably stocked with a good selection of beverages. The first evening my partner had the Thai fritters (special) as a main and I had the gammon, both were delicious and a generous portion of chips. We tried the coffee cheesecake (a special as well, I believe) and I had the Bakewell tart with amaretto ice cream which was delicious! On the second evening, we had mushrooms with cheese (Stilton? or some form of blue cheese) on toast and the Duck Leg Salad and we shared the Cajun spiced Scampi for a main, then finishing off with Lemon Parfait & Crème Brûlée for pudding. The Cajun Scampi was my favourite and could have happily have ordered it again if it weren't for the fact I was already full!! The room (and hotel in general) was nicely furnished/decorated, the shower was brilliant - especially in the heat, we had during our stay!!

Only one member of staff at breakfast, understaffed.

Only one member of staff at breakfast, understaffed. We did mention this when checking out & the young lady said she has asked for additional staff but nothing has been sorted. This does need to be addressed by the management at the hotel.

Not much

Better staff, more breakfast available, run out of specific drinks, wait on food was ridiculous even at breakfast, cleaning of room when asked. Staff not interested in residents only getting people from outside to eat and then residents get forgotten about. Lack of tea and coffee in rooms. Attitude of staff was appalling, to busy chatting and making guests feel uneasy

Not much

Nothappycustomer
    • Family Room

I have paid to much money for what I got...

The room was so hot.. my five old could not sleep for whole night. The hotel did had any fans. The hotel staff very under staff. Everything was rushed at breakfast, dinner and checkout.

Nearly there but they need more staff or at least someone who want to work there.

The staff was clearly overworked and tired, thus service you could look for in the dictionary. Great place, with great location. Very nice facilities. Food in restaurant overpriced for what is was but good beer, however the girls in the bar knew nothing about them. Strange they put people in the bar when they have room in the restaurant. Had to squeze 6 people in at a table for 4. Risotto with chicken tasted like fish - clearly the chef also overworked. Good breakfast, but lousy service. No coffe despite 3 request - they ran out of pots, but there were 10 tables with no people on an none of them cleared, thus the missing pots... With a few more staff this would be absolutely tops in pubs. The same girls working all day & night, then again for breakfast.

Great place which had problems that deduct from the overall impression. Great rooms and facilities. Clean and good bar area. A few good beers on tap. Good breakfast

Very relaxing and beautiful stay.
    • Superior Double or Twin Room

The reception was always unmanned.

Very beautiful hotel and even better because it is dog friendly. The area is stunning. We are very happy we chose to stay here.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Lovely location, especially if you wish to travel on the...
    • Executive Double Room

The staff need some very basic training in hotel service. They go through the 'mechanics' but with little warmth or sense of enjoyment. The service in the restaurant was especially slow and rather surly.

Lovely location, especially if you wish to travel on the Ravenglass railway. We had a beautiful evening sitting outside the hotel overlooking the estuary and enjoying the setting sun with a bottle of prosecco!

• Reviewed: 6 May 2017

Comfortable short stay in a great setting.

Restaurant atmosphere a little cold and functional, though paintings/prints from local artists helps enormously.

Friendly engaging staff. Modern functional rooms within an old building and village setting. Food was excellent in the restaurant and as a CAMRA member, I was particularly impressed by the quality and variety of 'real ales' both in the hotel bar and the Pennington Inn, the co-owned pub down the road.

Almost perfect
    • Executive Double Room

The room although really great for the view was above the main entrance so late returners stood chatting into the early hours and woke us up several times. The hotel itself is also not very well sound insulated, so every door closure and creaky walk by could be heard. Definitely no good night Guarantee.

The room location which had a Seaview was really special. Ravenglass is still an unspoilt part of Cumbria with a huge sense of community.

Fantastic stay in a beautiful part of the country

Bed was huge and very comfy. Breakfast times were great-later ending at 10.30 excellent! Staff were so friendly and nothing was too much trouble overall excellent and so relaxing

Would possibly stay again,not sure about the dog thing though.

Dining room a llittle bleak and did I see a dog at around 8pm with owners in dining room?(Saturday 30th.April)Black mark for you.

Cumbrian breakfast. Staff Lovely throughout.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

Nice village
    • Executive Double Room

Have stayed at the Pennington on a couple of occasions and the food has always been excellent, however on this occasion it was mediocre at best, breakfast was awful, the Black pudding that we both had on our full English breakfasts tasted strongly of kippers, I decided to play it safe on our 2nd morning and opted for a Kipper, it was served hot on the edges and stone cold in the middle, The dining room itself is very unwelcoming and has a canteen feel about it, it is very noisy with no fabrics to absorb any noises such as chairs scraping on the floors, There aren't really any other dining options in the village so for this reason until the hotel improves its dining experience, we wont be returning.

Room was in a separate building behind the hotel so was nice and quiet, nice residents lounge to sit in and the bar is welcoming and served good beers and wines, the hotel also has another pub just along the road, the lass behind the bar Jacquie I think she was called was an excellent host and made everybody feel very welcome.

Nice and comfy

We had no breakfast as we had to leave at 7am on the Sunday morning, and no offer of anything hot or cold was offered by the staff even after I explained our situation, which was disappointing.

Comfy Bed and a clean room, although this wasn't in the hotel i'd booked but at the inn a couple of doors down. Wasn't made very clear where this room was even after I checked in, I had to wander about in the street with my bag for a while, however the room was excellent. The manager was a welcoming, efficient and friendly guy.

Very pretty location, comfortable rooms, friendly service.

It seemed to be a little understaffed at times, and we'd asked for a twin room but got a double (individual beds, but only one duvet).

Very pretty location, comfortable rooms, friendly service.

Lovely hotel & location
    • Double Room - Disability Access

We travelled with our 4mth old baby so were slightly nervous but it couldn't have gone better. Ahead of our arrival, the staff put s travel cot in the room which was very thoughtful & he loved it, meaning we did too! The room was great, the food is lovely & the staff are professional, not intrusive. We'd definitely go back. It's a very quiet location - perfect if you need headspace but it might not suit you if you're looking for lots to do.

Ok hotel, not one of the best stays I've had

It was 5C degrees outside and the heating was not on in the rooms. It was freezing! Also, I felt like the staff just did not want to be dealing with people. It was Easter, so maybe they were overwhelmed, but I don't think that's an excuse.

The pub food was very good and they were very accomodating. The room was lovely as well.

Super comfy hotel in a quiet convenient location ideal for the Ratty train

The restaurant would look nice with some roman blinds at the windows and large lamps. Also some greenery plants in corners. Bar drinks a little pricey.

The bed was super comfy and the room was spacious and clean.The food from restaurant was lovely. I would recommend this hotel.

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

Peaceful. tranquil, restful , beautiful, thankfull and gratefull

more choice on menu ,, but it wasn't really a problem , just an observation

extra comfy bed . cleanliness , staff perfect not intrusive but helpful , food lovely too. will definitely go back and recommend to friends and family

Great hotel in a great location

Not much really, hook on the back of the door in the room would have been good, struggled a couple of times to get service at the table, but really an excellently run hotel

Food excellent, hotel decorated to a high standard

Convenient.

We were put in an outside room and were locked out on the first morning. No hotel info in our room. Staff not as good on Saturday as Sunday at breakfast.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

You have to experience this hotel .
    • Executive Double Room

The room was just a bit too warm, but not too uncomfortable.

Superb hotel, very clean and very relaxing. We had the evening meal which was fantastic. Breakfast was just as tasty and filling. One of the best hotels we have stayed in and a great location. The staff were very friendly and gave a first rate service, top marks !.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2016

Lovely hotel with great potential but the staff need to be a little more enthusiastic and helpful .

The staff weren't over friendly and it did feel like we were a bit of an inconvenience at times! Checkout time of 10.30 needs reviewing too.

lovely rooms and excellent food.A nice place to stay to get away from all the Xmas madness.

• Reviewed: 1 December 2016

Don't go to the Pennington, Ravenglass or Muncaster from November 1 - everythung is closed

Instead of being given a room with a shower instead of a tub, I was given a wheelchair accessible room. I told the reservation agent in advance that I was coming to do research and I wanted advice on how to get tickets to my ancestral castle. I got no answer on that and when I arrived I found EVERYTHING was closed, the only access to Muncaster is to the owl display and the famous RR and café were closed. The agent, after reminding her what I came for and pointed out their failure to pay attention to my request, allowed me to cancel the second day. I still had to pay 110 pounds for my room, which was a premium price for a disabled person. The pictures on the website show several rooms with showers AND tubs, but I could not be given one. In addition, the hotel did not serve food and one had to walk down the lane to a companion hotel for food. I am sure in the high season it is lovely, but things have been closed down since November 1. It was a horrible experience.

the property is very nice, and breakfast good

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Comfortable, friendly and a good breakfast.

Staff were nice enough but seemed a little inexperienced and slow.And we felt we were panicked by the receptionist into booking into the last possible dinner in town in the hotel's already full restaurant. Which turned out to be emply, and even so the service was slow. But the food was fine.

Comfortable, friendly and a good breakfast.

We liked the room size and character of the building

Welcome could have been more helpful as we couldn't find the rooms.

We liked the room size and character of the building Breakfast and walk on beach nice. Lovely to be able to have the dog with us.

Wonderful

A full size bed instead of two pushed together.

Staff friendly. Location great. Food excellent. Wondefull stay, would definitely return and recommend! Many thanks to the staff here