Reviews of The Red House 4 stars

74 North Parade, Grantham, NG318AN, United Kingdom

#6 of 16 hotels in Grantham

Based on 474 B&B reviews

Great B&B, as described in other reviews. Really comfy beds, lovely hosts and tasty breakfast. My 6ft 3" husband couldn't fit into the 6ft shower cubicle, but other than that, a great stay and I'd go back again if near Grantham.

• Family Room with Shower

Very comfortable....Breakfast was excellent and staff were extremely friendly, helpful and courteous. Old style B&B which made a welcome difference to the usual Hotel.... Yes, I would stay here again.

• Family Room with Shower

The double glazing on the sash window didn't close properly meaning we couldn't exclude traffic noise, however, this wasn't a significant problem.

Very generous sized family room. Homely and comforting

• Family Room with Shower

As ever, the two sisters were lovely and very welcoming and a breakfast that was just perfect. Parking can be a challenge on occasion but this time we managed to park (free) right outside. The area is lovely and quiet so no disturbance even though we were at the front of the property.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

we don't like sharing a bathroom ( who does ) but it is new and very clean, but it was the only room left

easy to find, friendly staff, clean room, good bed, good shower full english breakfast, overall a very pleasant stay.

Shower had hardly any power.

Breakfast was lovely, rooms were clean. Owners were extremmely friendly and went out of their way to make your stay more memorable.

• Twin Room with Bathroom

Despite the Red House being fully-booked, there was ample on-street parking outside. The staff were friendly and couldn't be more helpful and accommodating. This is genuine customer service at its very best. Comfortable bed. Tasty breakfast.

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Bathroom rather small, and detached from room. Small soap or soap dispenser needed at sink in the bathroom.

Convenient for town centre. Interesting old property. Decent breakfast. Helpful and friendly staff.

• Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

This is in no way a 4 star B&B. It has the certificates on the wall, but I stay in hotels and B&B’s on average 3 weekends a month and I know what to expect. It’s old and run down. The furnature looks like it has come from a charity store, and the shared bathroom from the 1970’s. I love a good B&B, and I don’t mind paying good money if it’s up to standard, but I don’t like being misled as to the quality. On arrival I was asked if an early breakfast was OK? I asked how early and was told 7:30, on a Saturday! I negotiated to 8:00. The explanation offered was that if I got up later I might not get a seat! My bed was a tiny single. I not a large man but it was uncomfortable. The breakfast, billed as exceptional, was average at best. If you see my review history you’ll see that I don’t like writing bad reviews, but this place is misleading.

Staff were nice.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Was very comfortable stay. Staff were very friendly and approachable, facilities were really good and one of the cleanest hotels ive stayed in. Overall, excellent experience.

• Twin Room with Bathroom

The shower could do with a bit more pressure.

The lady in charge was very friendly, showed us to our room. We were leaving very early in the morning but she still made sure breakfast was available to us although hot breakfast hadn’t started.

• Single Room with Shower

Shower/toilet cubicle was tiny. Arranging a late check-in via messaging was frustrating. In the end a phone call was needed.

Nice room decent breakfast.

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Just one little quibble: the kitchen would be improved by a god extractor fan, to prevent cooking odours from pervading the entire accommodation. Mind you, they were quite nice smells!

A very comfortable and well-appointed room in a well-built Georgian house, very quiet, with parking just outside. Charming staff and a good breakfast.

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Maybe look at renewing some of the decor, although it did have a nice homely feel about it.

Staff very friendly, really nice breakfast. Accommodated at last minute and for an extra night, although normally they are fully booked so was lucky. Large rooms.

• Single Room with Shower

The card machine wasn't working so I had to pop down to ASDA to get cash to pay for my stay, which only took about 15 mins, but it was time I didn't really have to spare. The radiator in my room wasn't working so it was quite cold. The bathroom was really small and cramped, the shower was tiny and the basin was crazed. I would not stay in that room again.

Friendly staff, clean room with fridge, microwave, plate and cutlery as well as the usual kettle, tea and coffee. Nice breakfast with fresh coffee. 24-hour ASDA just down the road

• Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

The main road noise is loud from very early morning. This is no fault if the owners but something to bear in mind if you book and have a room on the front.

The welcome we got was warm and friendly. Room spacious and the bed comfy. The breakfast was cooked well and plentyfull. The staff friendly polite and caring. The location us idea for the centre of Grantham.

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Had an amazing stay! Was here because of the crazy snow weather, was able to extend my stay at short notice without any problems. Breakfast is super filling and staff went above and beyond to make you feel at home!

• Twin Room with Bathroom

The parking is on street, and not reserved specifically for the Red House, as was described. A lot of stairs to the top storey, not so good if you are elderly.

The central location. The spacious twin room with a double and single bed and sofa. Breakfast!

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

No sound insulation between ground and first floor room in Albany Disturbed by loud conversation from above at 04.00 for over half an hour

Owners care and attention Breakfast Location Car parking

• Single Room with Shower

You know, I can't think of anything. It was lovely.

Single room with shower- ingenious shower, loo, washbasin unit. Teas, coffee, biscuits on a tray. Television, alarm clock, easy chair, side table, storage - all in a compact space. WiFi free and work well. The welcome was lovely - very open and interested in the visitor. The breakfast was freshly made with orange juice, cereals, fruit etc as well. Seems the really well flavoured coffee is brought from the Philippines by a relative every six weeks or so. Worth the effort. I especially liked the notes which were written in the room - polite and clear - including the guidance on using the microwave and fridge. Parking was on the broad pavement outside the property and was just fine. The property is in walking distance of shops including a large Asda. As I write this, I see just how much I got for my money.

• Family Room with Shower

The room description was incorrect..one single , one double and one large double......there was no large double ....it was a single pull out camp bed with broken springs !!!!! Also the toilet see was much too small for the toilet and fitted wrong, your knees hit the radiator so you had to sit sideways !!!! Also we was told we had to have breakfast at 8am on a Sunday morning......no flexibility at all. Then we had about 20 minutes to eat it as other guests needed the table....in the hotel guest book, breakfast time on a Sunday is listed 8-9am.....far too early !!!!! Rediculous !!!!!

Staff OK.

• Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

The bathroom was a bit cold!

The staff are very friendly & extremely helpful. They carried my bag upstairs to my room for me, gave me extra tea & milk when I asked for it and were generally very welcoming. It is the second time I have stayed there & can say it is excellent value for money.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I prefer my own bathroom but it was okay as we were the only people using it.

Very friendly staff. Good breakfasts. Interesting, small dining room with opportunities to chat with other guests. Our room was in the basement so being tall it was possible to bash your head if you weren't thinking.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The foul smell from the toilet pump system in the Bathroom next to my room (it was designated for my use). The installers have foolishly connected the overflow from the hand basin into the same effluent outlet from the toilet "mincer" system. Hence the overflow releases all the fetid odors from the toilet system. These permiated my room. I'd advise any potential visitors to decline being accommodated in the basement part of the Red House

The 2-staff from the Phillipenes could not have been more helpful. The owner was "away" so I was told.

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Being put into another room on my arrival. I was told I did not confirm my booking, but I rang in the morning to check on car parking. Given another room with no en ensuite, which I ordered. Breakfast from 7 - 8am only. Attitude of staff.

• Double Room with Shower

Some of the taller members of our group found that they had to duck a little when entering the shower/bathroom, but we realised that some compromises had to be made because of the age and history of the building which was laid out over 3 floors.

The breakfasts were delicious and well cooked. The local sausages were much appreciated.There were also cereals, juice, fruit and yogurt available along with plenty of toast and various hot drinks. The rooms were well appointed and comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I have stayed at the Rad house on numerous occasions and honestly rate it as a great place to stay. However I recently booked a room through Booking.com but had to cancel on the day of travel owing to a family emergency but Red House still took my money. Bit miffed about that.

It is a good value B&B. The rooms are good and the staff are very friendly.

Employee of the phone

Called on the day to explain due to a family emergency 3 days before Christmas that I would not be attending due to this but they would not even listen just said too close to day of booking. No sympathy nothing.

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

It is an amazing place. The ladies in the property will make you filling at home. In the morning they cook a delicious English breakfast plus all the continental buffet

En-suite in the single room is a little cramped

Handy location for event we were attending in Grantham. Room was comfortably warm since it was -2C outside. Great breakfast, friendly staff

• Family Room with Shower

Shower wasn't very powerful. Rang to say we'd be arriving at 2pm, was informed room was ready but to check in before 4pm we had to pay £5. We chose to go ahead, were asked to pay for this by cash rather than with the rest of our bill on our card which went via Booking.com

Good to find a small fridge in the room. Also a microwave, not that we used it.

The rooms are a bit shabby

Such lovely welcoming staff who couldn't do enough to help us .We took my 91yr old Mum and they were really sweet to her .

• Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

We have stayed here before and would certainly stay again. Very good location for us, Very clean. The cooked breakfast looked to be very good but can't comment as we only wanted cereal and toast. Very good value for money.

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

The staff are very friendly and welcoming - nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast was cooked to order and served quickly. My room was very comfortable and great value for money.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Small bath towel and smallish bed covers and they really MUST fit light dimmers in every room Other than that everything was absolutely first class.

The bed covers were a little bit small for the bed as I am pretty tall. A bigger bath towel maybe a bath robe would have been better, but other than that the room was impeccably clean with a blackout blind on the window and it was very quiet. Breakfast was included in the price and was excellent, there was an incredible variety of cereals, fresh fruit and yogurt although I had the full English breakfast and unlike the obviously cheap bacon that a lot of other places supply Red house bacon is good quality back with virtually no fat. I have a large appetite and there was plenty of food with extra available if required.

• Family Room with Shower

The decor is somewhat dated. This included plastic beads on the bathroom light pull. The sofa was positioned so that you couldn't watch the TV whilst sitting on it. Personally I would not stay there for longer visits.

It was very comfortable and clean. The staff were friendly and its a great location. There was a great breakfast menu and the food was good. I would recommend it for a short visit and I would stay there again for a night.

• Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

It was really no better than OK. Sometimes I read reviews and wonder if I stayed at the same place. This may once have been a lovely period property and I'm sure it could be again in the future. However at the moment it is fairly tired, cheaply decorated and just about acceptable. It is not 'very nice' by any stretch of the imagination. Breakfast was chaotic. I would'nt stay again, spend an extra £5/£10 and get somewhere nicer

It was cheap. Lots of hot water. Owners were fine

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

A very warm welcome, clean comfortable room and great breakfast! Nothing was too much trouble, we were able to check in early as we needed to be at a wedding at 4. Would certainly recommend to friends and family 😃

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Very old fashioned decor, could smell food being cooked, plug sockets in room didn't work, remote control for TVs broken, just wasn't pleasant room

Breakfast was excellent

• Single Room with Shower

Parking a little competitive at times and would be worse on a weekday. Breakfast not as early as I would have liked

Comfortable room with fridge and microwave, free parking

• Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

Not as advertised the en-suite facilities were in what appeared to be a converted store cupboard outside on the landing, with a sliding door that kept jumping off the track and jamming, the fittings and furnishings were of a poor quality. The room was advertised as having a microwave, fridge and hair drier, none were available. Also due to the traffic noise from the main road the window had to be kept closed.

Good location for visiting the town and touring the local area.

• Twin Room with Bathroom

They need to have their credit card facilty working at all times. No other criticism at all.

Friendly efficient staff. Room comfort. Big bathroom. All good. Full English breakfast very good and the right size. tea and coffee facility in the room. Central location, short walk to town centre. Will definately use again.

• Single Room with Shower

I didn't have breakfast as I was going into Grantham hospital for a operation at 7:30am and had to be nil by mouth but I was offended some fruit to take with me. I liked the fact that there was a microwave, fridge, iron and ironing board in the room as well as tea and coffee making facilities, again which I never got to use.

• Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

The hosts were excellent very friendly and helpful. Parking outside hotel no problems. Short walk to town that had some excellent restaurant's and drinking establishments. Some good walks in and around Grantham., River walk and some historical places to see. Will definitely return.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I cannot fault this establishment.

This was my second visit to the property. I stayed, this time, in Room 2 which was ensuite. The owners were so friendly and make you feel at home as soon as you cross the threshold. It is a well maintained listed building. It is just out of the centre of Grantham and a short walk leads you to the centre where there are plenty of pubs and restaurants. The bedroom was very well equipped and tastefully furnished. The bed was very comfortable and I soon fell asleep. The breakfast was very good - bacon, egg, hash brown baked beans and mushrooms. Plenty of toast and marmalade! The bathroom was very clean and bright with a shower over the bath.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Wifi in the room (in the basement) was poor - but OK in the Breakfast room.

Superb breakfast and super friendly staff. Wifi in the Breakfast room was great.

NOTHING

the breakfasts were excellent. Overall everything was to our likeing.With in easy reach of town centre,ten minite walk.Staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough to make our stay welcome.

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

What we didnt like was the breakfast was too early.(7.30-9) we were asked to come the earliest if we wanted a table as everyone liked to come later. When we are on a trip we like to sleep till a bit late not to wake up at 7 so that we could eat. That was dissapointing. They know that people like to go later for their breakfast so they should change it for a more convient time that suits everyone. Also we had to share a table with another couple who we didnt know because they have 3 tables only. Other than that the stay was ok but nothing special really.

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

It was advertised as all rooms have en suite and yet our room did not have en suite facilities the facilities were across a landing, had I have known this I would not have booked

Host was very friendly an helpful and all the linen etc spotlessly clean

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

We were in the basement which was ok,no nice view though. A shared bathroom, but this was ok.

The Red House is very quirky and very accommodating. We have stayed here before, the staff will do anything to please you and the breakfast is excellent.

• Single Room with Shower

On-Suite a little cramped if six foot'ish or more.

Very Good Cheery, Attentive and Happy Staff. Nice and freshly cooked English breakfast with lovely thick bacon.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Cannot think of anything not to like, except mobile reception was not good indoors, but did not consider that of much importance.

Bed comfortable. Room clean and comfortable. Sadly bathroom was left rather wet by a previous user. Had a basement room that was surprisingly bright, with plenty of space for one person and very clean. Staff were helpful and friendly and nothing was too much bother. I would recommend this Guest House to friends and relatives.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Tv was tuned in to the cctv - I arrived late at night, and by the time I turned on the tv I felt it was too late to ask the host for assistance

Excellent value for money, clean, a nice breakfast and a very pleasant host,

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

The fact there was no lift and my husband had great difficulty getting up and down them as we were on the third floor in the only room with ensuite.

The staff were very friendly and the English breakfast was cooked exactly as we requested.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

road side parking wasn't ideal but can't really complain

Good clean room with en-suite, made an ideal over night stop no frills, just what you'd expect for the money

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Double Room with Shower

We could hear the traffic and boiler/generator ALL night therefore we didn't sleep well

The location was the best part for us. The other plus was breakfast was a large selection

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The room was very basic but then it's exactly what I expected. Nothing to dislike really

Really friendly and welcoming staff. Couldn't do enough for you.

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

It wasn't clear on the booking I'll get a shared bathroom, on booking in I was asked if I'll prefer a personal bathroom of which I agreed to at an addition cost. My personal bathroom was across the hall from my room and didn't lock, so it was a free for all... which other guest had used during the night.

Very friendly and proud of there business

• Family Room with Shower

Shower was a bit dirty and only just had enough water pressure to get a quick wash The room was generally clean although in need of a bit TLC

Friendly staff, good breakfast included. central location. value for money. Paid £79 for 3 people in family room with breakfast included

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Hotel is dated an ne an appealing eds face lift. Grantham is not an exciting town rather dull

Staff were happy smiling people with a welcoming attitude

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Was unaware that the bathroom was not en suite but was private bathroom across the corridor. This should be made clearer on the website. A dressing gown was provided.

Arrived and was able to park nearby along the street. Good location for business meetings and food in town, plus Asda for petrol. Older building, room was comfortable and a decent size. On the top floor so nobody heavy footed above! Free wifi and pleasant staff.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

The full English breakfast was limited (1 egg , 1 sausage , 1 rasher of bacon, 3 mushrooms and a 1/2 a small tomato and beans), Overall, the egg was overcooked, the sausage didn't taste of anything and the bacon was much the same. The rest was OK but not enough. The Tea was awful. We skipped the breakfast the second day cos we both like a bit of flavour

The beds were very comfortable and beautifully made. The rooms were nicely laid out and airy.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

• Twin Room with Bathroom

Water pressure from the shower was a little weak.

Nice little B/B in the middle of Grantham. I stayed in room number 2 that was spacious with a big bathroom. Fast WI-FI connection. A few steps to the center of Grantham. Even the hotel locates next to the busy road it was quiet in the room. Tasty breakfast.

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

Very poor room, no en-suite, on the 3rd floor, no lift. Booking.com description of room was not what staff said I had reserved because I had paid less than their rate for the described room. Overall the property is not in a good state of decor,especially on the 3rd floor. Our allocated bathroom, across the landing from the bedroom, was extremely small, no natural light and cold.

Cheerful and welcoming staff. Good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

En suite is tiny. Shower was a trickle. Iron was dirty.

Friendly welcome, lovely Georgian-style room with en suite, TV, kettle, fridge, microwave. Clean, comfortable room and bed. Nice breakfast. Happy to cater for vegetarians and vegans.

• Family Room with Shower

The room was old fashioned and worn out, could do with an update.

The two women who run the inn were very nice and really accommodating. My mum wanted yoghurt for breakfast and even though they didnt have any, they offered to get it in for the next morning.

The room was a little crowded & dated Shortage of power points in the room On this visit there were delays at breakfast time ( the the place was fully booked) However these are minor when remembering this is a B&B / guesthouse not a hotel

Friendly staff, helpful & welcoming Room clean and warm Large Bed Good english Breakfast Easy walking distance to the Town & Parks Fridge & Microwave in room

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

• Twin Room with Bathroom

The only negative thing: there was no hot water in the shower. I told the owner who said she'd check it and then again no hot water the next day. She insisted it worked when she cleaned the shower. I adjusted the dial as she instructed and tried every possible way but it never even got warm.

The staff are extremely nice. The room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was good. Affordable price.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

• Twin Room with Private External Bathroom

Absolutely spotless everywhere. The Visitor Guide in the room was best we have ever seen. Superb breakfast - we asked for no sausage when ordering and automatically got extra egg instead.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

If this was ever a 4 star it was many, many years ago. Poorly maintained / decorated and very tatty fixtures and fittings. The shower should have been condemned as a safety hazard, bare electric cable hanging out of the ceiling for the power shower in the wet cubicle!!!!!!!!

Staff ok, breakfast ok

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

Lovely period property. Very homely and was made to feel very welcome. Breakfast was lovely, great selection and great service with endless top ups of tea and toast, cereal and full English included. Tea, coffee and biscuits in the room also. Lovely stay :)

• Reviewed: 1 March 2017

• Double Room with Shower

Fantastic warm, friendly welcome. Very comfy bed. Beautiful period property. Value and location both great. Unpretentious and nice and homely!

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

• Twin Room with Bathroom

The sofa in the room could do with renewing.

Great staff, very attentive, allowed us to use the breakfast room for our evening meal as we didn't want to dine out every night

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

• Double Room with Shower

Lovely lady to greet you at the door and helpfull she can be. Room was bigger than expected and bathroom was huge!! My only problem was the heating was on all night, I like to sleep in a cool room but that is just my preference. Overall very happy and at least you know you won't ever get cold in your room ha ha and would definitely go back 👍

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Double Room with Private External Bathroom

I didn't realise my private bathroom was going to be across the landing, I had assumed en suite. But a big, comfy toweling dressing gown was provided for people like me who were unprepared!

Very clean and comfortable room. Helpful and friendly staff who arranged an early cooked breakfast for me as I had to leave by 8am. I'd be happy to stay there again and would recommend it to anyone needing an overnight stay in the area.