Reviews of The Ridings Guest House 3 stars

280 Abingdon Road, Oxford, OX14TA, United Kingdom

#58 of 65 B&Bs and Inns in Oxford

The house was being altered and had scaffolding across the bedroom windows, fortunately it was a Bank Holiday so there wasn't any workmen there. They didn't serve breakfast but there were lots of cafes near by.

Within easy walking distance of the town centre, nice clean Comfortable bed.

Didn't inform us that there was a problem with the roof so we turned up to find scaffolding surrounding the house. It also meant that we couldn't open the windows of the room which made it very hot. Room was quite dated and the bathroom not very clean. If we wanted breakfast we would have had to walk 5-10 mins up the road to the owners other guest house

Owner was attentive and offered advice about where to eat/visit

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I didn’t like how the hotel was in the middle of renovations so was covered in scaffolding which means you cannot open your windows. I didn’t like the small room I was given which did not have a working TV. I was moved to a larger room which was fine but everything is so old and outdated, carrier bag as the bin liner... women’s hairs stuck to the walls... floor boards so loud I didn’t want to move in fear of waking people. I left the payment in cash but got home to find I was also charged the amount on my card. In their defence this was refunded and back in my account the next day but still an inconvenience for someone if that money was needed in the account.

Location of the B and B was decent for my needs.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

As other people have written, this accommodation is not suitable for single women travellers. I did not see a single soul, but did not know who was looking through the window in the ceiling.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I only had a contact number for staff. After speaking before my arrival I saw them only on the morning of my departure, as I passed the kitchen. Although pre warned of building work I was not anticipating to be woken up by the noise at 8am on a bank holiday weekend. There is also constant noise from the main road into Oxford.

This would be a great property with a little more investment- which shows in the current building work. It is just showing minor wear and tear around the edges which could be easily rectified. I was able to overlook issues because it was in a serviceable location and and affordable.

The room smelled funny/tobaccoey, all the windows were locked because of scaffolding, tiny bathroom, cheap-looking furniture, no proper room sound isolation so we could hear other guests.

The host was very nice and attentive.

The property is listed as a bed and breakfast. Breakfast was NOT included and was not offered to us upon arrival. The toilet was clogged, mold in the shower, overall dirty accommodations. Not a good value for the money. I emailed and called the office and never received a response. Overall poor property!

Oxford

It would have been useful to know that breakfast was not included although all the indications were that one was paying for bed and breakfast. Times of breakfast were stated on a notice in the room but no indication that it was an extra.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I don't think it was made clear that breakfast was not included in the price. Not only was it not included but if I wanted breakfast, I had to go elsewhere for it.

Very nice to be upgraded from a single with shared bathroom to a double with ensuite. Everything was functional, no frills, no luxuries but did the job perfectly well.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The shower was horrendous hot cold hot cold and barely a trickle needs to be sorted people banging and showing no consideration for other guests

Excellent room comfortable and clean

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The room we stayed in was at the top and back of the house, which meant we had to walk through the host’s living room to reach it.

The host was lovely, and the room was beautifully presented.

For one night it was okay, but we wouldn't like to stay longer. The Radiator was broken and he couldn't be switched of. Cups and spoons were not very clean.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I did not like being asked for £6.50 for breakfast, when the booking confirmation said that breakfast was included in the room. Also woodlice in the wardrobe!

As in their front room @ front of house, we were having the front street door banging shut, & other guests boots sounding on the floor. It stated in details toiletries included, only a diluted small amount left of hand wash for use.

There was no breakfast apparently included NOTHING did we like,

It had the vibe of student accomodation or a youth hostel. The bathroom smelt mouldy. There was a young man present when we arrived but otherwise saw no staff for the duration of our stay. Couldn't find anyone to check out with!

The room was clean.

We had arranged to drop a bag off and pick up a key at a particular time in the morning as we were attending a wedding from lunchtime and would be out until late. There was no one there at the appointed time and it took a couple of phone calls before someone turned up. The booking included breakfast but, in the event, that was only available at another guest house down the road and that a little reluctantly. The card machine was not working. Our conclusion was that this is not a very professionally run guest house.

The room was clean and comfortable

Very small bath room. Noise from cars on the street at night, had to close the window. Overall a bit pricy.

Staff was friendly. House is easy to reach from the city centre by bus. Nice clean room with tea kettle. Modern bath room appliances.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Very basic, room shabby, no private toilet even though my booking stated I had one. In need of decorating! I saw no owner while there which made me feel unsafe as a single female traveller. I also came across foreign guests who did not look like they were on holiday but stayed there long term! The toilet was along the hallway which I didn't feel safe going to during the night

Easy to get to.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Shower was miniscule, toilet dirty, mattress old and flattened. The area was run down. We wanted to leave after the first night but was told that the money was taken. To charge £78 per night was robbery. Nobody on the property when we arrived notice saying ring this number. No visible official Health & Safety notices. Wiring a do it yourself job.

The room was ok

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

We were in a room at the front of the house, on a busy road so there was constant traffic noise even though the windows were double glazed. Also the curtains need to be thicker to keep out the light from the street lamps.

There was parking and a bus stop nearby so we didn't need to use the car. The room was comfortable and en-suite with good facilities. Our host was polite and helpful. Breakfast was good.

My wife found a stranger's hair in her breakfast; we didn't bother the next day. Not happy that I didn't find out breakfast wasn't included in the rate till I'd booked. No hot water in the sink and the shower kept veering between cold and scalding.

Bed was very comfortable. Room was spacious.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

When arrived on Saturday Night about 20.00 hrs I could not access to the property. Door was locked. Sign inside by side of door with telephone number. Fortunately I had a mobile phone and call was answered by a gentleman who said he would come around. What could I have done if I didn't have a mobile phone? Surely Health & Safety requires someone should be on premises in case of emergency and or fire. Room very basic but adequate for my one night needs. TV didn't work properly, picture breaking-up and poor quality/definition. I didn't need TV but checked for quality. Bed very comfortable and sufficient bedding. Sink plug hole had not been carefully cleaned and long strands of hair and "sludge"were visible. I had to remove before using. Sunday morning, no one was around to check-out although the conservatory was very nicely dressed for breakfast. I did not stay for breakfast. In view of H & S, access and sink cleanliness I will not stay again. For such a basic room the price is excessive even though it is Oxford. I had to park around the corner on the residential street. I don't know how the quality and etc of B & Bs are checked by Booking.com, but the system needs a huge overhaul. You should at the very least give me a full refund and some financial compensation.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

The English breakfast, although pleasant, was very oily. I would have preferred a healthier grilled option

Helpful manager/owner who was very accommodating for parking et al

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Noisy.dirty.dead flies on bathroom floor.banging doors.poor quality shower noisy with low water pressure. Windows difficult to open. Dirty net curtains.

Closeness to public transport

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

there was damp in my room, this was cleaned after the first night it needed refreshing

the staff were very helpful and kind The shower was wonderfully hot

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Shared bathroom not ideal, but reflected in fair price and very clean

Central to amenities Oxford city and motorway, late check in no problem, clean, quiet and comfortable, friendly owner

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

Luckly we traveled by train as when we arrived the off road parking was full (4cars) and for the 4 days we stayed the cars remained there, the other guests presumably used the bus.

The room was comfortable,clean and tidy. It looked as it had be newly decorated. The hotel was a bit far from town,but there was a good bus service and only £2:80 return.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

A little noisy - traffic. Bed too small and rickety! A previous occupant had smoked - room was smelly

Convenient. Friendly staff. No unnecessary frills

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

No staff to check you out in the morning. Uncomfortable bed. Shared bathroom/toilet in a converted semi-detached house. Feels like one step away from a bedsit

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

Bed too small for two, mold in the bathroom, stains on the bed. No one was there for check in so we had to call a number. Next to a loud road.

About 15 minutes to the town centre.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

Breakfast turned out not to be included--I don't remember seeing it offered as an extra cost option on the Bookings.com website.

We lost a camera in the cab, and the owner did his best to help us, making calls on our behalf...no luck, but we appreciated his efforts!

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

WiFi excellent and perfect breakfast! I forgot my toiletry when I left and they come especially back to the place when I came back 2 days later to pick it up! Thanks a lot for the great help!

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The room did not match the photos on line. Standard basics were well past their prime, non-functional or just broken like the shelf hanging off the wall above the sink. Bathroom seemed like it had been cleaned but seams and caulking were still dirty.

The location was convenient to town.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

Had to wait for ten minutes for someone to check us in after having to ring a mobile number in the window. Bathroom was way too small. Room wasn't very clean. One teabag, milk and sugar for double room. Was refused breakfast when we had said we wanted it the night before. When he changed his mind and we did have breakfast, the sausage could have been revived by a vet and there was grease in the tea cups. Had to pay £5 extra each for breakfast.No parking on site so we had to park in a side street. No thank you when we checked out. Host did not seem very passionate about B and B. Not worth £77 a night. Stayed in better hotels for less. Photos and descriptions online are very deceiving.

• Reviewed: 25 July 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The bedroom was and smelt very musty and the bed though in general fine could have been better

The breakfast was very nice and cooked fresh to order and the staff was very friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

No wifi. Traffic noise. Uncomfortable bed. Breakfast only after 0830 - late for a B&B. No parking place. No one in to meet us on arrival. Phone number given for on-the-spot questions was not answered.

Ingenious use of bathroom space.

• Reviewed: 16 July 2016

Bathroom requires updating, shower a good clean,water preasure from sink taps low,toilet flush not working very well and tiolet mats a no no.

Convenient to town centre

• Reviewed: 2 July 2016

Could be asked on arrival if breakfasts are required ( some doubt as to whether we could have one in the morning as not pre booked but hadn't been mentioned before ) The bathroom sink needed bleach or drain cleaner down it as water very slow at draining away .

Clean, quiet , good sized room ,off road parking available

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The place was undergoing maintenance... so was noisy in the mornings.

The bed was comfy...

Comfy bed, friendly staff, clean room, excellent location!!

Building works in progress and hosts were not present for checkout. Smoke alarm battery was low so it beeped all night. No hairdryer or toilet roll.

I would not recommend this b&b one bit

Nothing it was a buliding site

Nice people, good bus connection as alternative to 25 min walk to city centre, living room available next to own room.

Bed was comfortable. The shower was hot and with a lot of pressure, really nice

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Bathroom cold and shower holder broken,stated had parking but had to park up a side street.

Very friendly and comfortable

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

I didn't get breakfast they thought I just wanted the room they waited till I gave the money then in the morning there wasn't any breakfast

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Staff flexible, cleanness, room on expectation

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Close to the city centre. Parking was available. Friendly staff.

Small showers and how to operate then, but that is English bathrooms really

The helpfulness of the staff, George, he was great

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

The electric kettle is old. The hairdryer gave away when I was blowing my hair halfway through.

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

Hole in the sheet. Bed seemed old.

Easy to find and on a bus route. Single room available

The bed was tooooooo soft ))))))

Easy to find

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

No space to put my suitcase, kitchen ran out of cheese and water tasted odd.

The price.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

on the main road

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Odd smell, very dated - towel had a stain

Great location for the centre of Oxford

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

A last minute book. Great value. Very friendly and helpful staff. Very homely and cosy rooms. Would definitely stay again.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Nothing - thought it was great - cheap and cheerful just what I needed

Location was great and staff were friendly

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

sheets and towers are not very clean

fast wifi, friendly staffs

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Breakfast are only from 8:30 to 9:30.

Location is good. You can walk into town in about 15min.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Lack of air conditioning is a problem if outside is above 25 degrees. Of course it's not so frequent in Oxford.

Very good English breakfast

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

• Single Room with Shared Bathroom

breakfast egg hard little bit greasy...

handy for bus into town..

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Good location, very clean, flexible staff, excellent wi-fi which is a rarity in English hotels

Bed was a little hard

Great location, good breakfast.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

We liked the convenience of the bus stop outside to Oxford every 10 minutes. The Hotel on the corner has very good and reasonably priced meals.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

0k

• Reviewed: 27 June 2016

All around good place to rest in oxford. Lovely staff and were helpful even if I arrived late :)

• Reviewed: 18 May 2016

The only down side was that the windows had no view other than the wall of the property to its side but we didn't book for a view.

We arrived and entered The Ridings Guest House unsure as to what we would find due to previous reviews being so mixed but we're pleasantly surprised to find that the room was a good size with Television on the wall and wardrobes, chest of drawers and 2 armchairs. The bathroom was compact but adequate with a good supply of hot water and the shower quite powerful and water also hot. The bed was comfortable. The speciality is that George the host forms the towels into a variety of animals which were a delight. It is on a direct bus route into Oxford and there is a Tesco Express close by. Room for only 3 cars to be parked at the property but free parking in side streets close by.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2016

Bit noisy from inside the corridor, otherwise flawless.

I turned out to be super lucky on the day and was given full suite instead of a hostel type room for the lower price, overall liked this one night stay.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2016

General cleanliness - the eiderdown was food stained and the duvet threadbare.The breakfast - no chinois bun, no mushrooms, no yoghurt, supermarket pack ham and cheese.

The central heating, the position and the outlook.

• Reviewed: 2 April 2016

Worst was this: I had bad bed bug bites that I noticed the next day. They were all over my body, mostly on shoulder and hand areas. Huge bites, red and itchy. Quite bad indeed. I am worried some of those bugs are carried away in bags. Also, Internet/wifi did not function in the room, only in the public space. Shower was out of date although it eventually produced warm/hot water, so that was a minor thing in the end.

It is a nice looking house next to road, free parking if you have a car, and a pretty big room with comfortable enough beds (but beware of bugs).

• Reviewed: 1 March 2016

Several items in room broken or u/s: sink blocked, wardrobe door doesn't open properly, mirror cracked, TV only worked intermittently, wi-fi code illegible on very scrappy room information. Room needs thorough re-decoration. No-one on site when I arrived - waited 10 minutes outside having called mobile number in window. £55 is too much for a very small and shabby room.

Well placed - close to City centre - but a bit noisy. Breakfast was fine - tables tidy and clean.

• Reviewed: 27 February 2016

The place is conveniently located (around 10-15 mins walk from the city centre) and the the price is reasonable. The staff is very friendly. Will definitely consider going back there whenever I need to stay in Oxford.

• Reviewed: 13 January 2016

Had to wait quite a bit for them to find my booking. Turned out he was looking at the wrong date. I found a food wrapper under the bed.

Got upgraded to an ensuite. Great price for that location.

• Reviewed: 13 December 2015

The shower area in my room could do with updating/modernising. The rest of the ensuite facility was compact but in good order.

Helpful, friendly staff and very convenient location for Oxford City.

There are also 50 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.