Reviews of The Rockwell 4 stars

181 Cromwell Road, Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW5 0SF, United Kingdom

#242 of 1,031 hotels in London

Based on 2069 hotel reviews

• Reviewed: 18 October 2018

A great find and pleasantly surprised!

Bed was a little soft

Pleasantly surprised with my single room which albeit small had everything I expected and more. Clean and cosy. Staff were very welcoming. I would stay here again. Great price, great hotel!

• Reviewed: 18 October 2018

Best hotel in London I've stayed at!
    • Superior Single Room

everything! This is the best hotel I have stayed at in London, so far (I've been in about 20 I'd reckon ...). The bed was very comfy, the room super functional and nice (I want to own the wardrobe - it's so clever!). The location, the super helpful staff ... I'll definitely be coming back!

Views of a Singaporean
    • Superior Single Room

I would prefer if the towel rack in the bathroom comes with heating facilities. It would also be good if the breakfast comes with more choices or change every alternate day.

Great location. Clean. Friendly staff. Modern amenities

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

The location is really good, quiet and quite comfortable...
    • Superior Single Room

WiFi was not working in my room

The location is really good, quiet and quite comfortable room, very comfortable bad. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

quiet neighboorhood.
    • Standard Single Room

a little bit narrow the room.in shower ceiling there is little fungus. i could not manage to turn the water to hot mode in shower.is ok but need a refreshment on design and structure. needs better noise insulation .

quiet neighboorhood.

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Unacceptable

The hotel’s decor and fixtures and fittings are very tired and dated. The floor tiles in our bathroom were cracked and very loose. We asked for another room which was equally shabby. Not acceptable!

The location is good.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2018

I thought breakfast was great value for money

Room was very small. Fixed shower head not ideal. Room very hot, air conditioning didn’t really seem to work.

I thought breakfast was great value for money

• Reviewed: 28 September 2018

An excellent venue when wishing to meet up with friends.

A fine breakfast offering many options and the staff were always willing to help. Easy walking distance from Earls Court Underground. Nice size rooms also .

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Excellent Value for the location!
    • Garden Room

Could do with a little TLC with regards to finish, some tired looking areas of paintwork etc but overall nothing to complain about

Very reasonable, comfortable spacious room, friendly helpful staff and a brilliant location for exploring London

• Reviewed: 26 September 2018

Good value, good service.
    • Superior Single Room

Blind didn’t keep out sunlight and more than one black tea bag would be good. WiFi signal in the room not very good.

Overall very good and better than most in this bracket with staff who seem to genuinely want you to enjoy your stay

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Lovely stay, looking forward to another week.

The shower must be said to be one of the smallest i've seen. But the shower head is lovely, lots of hot running water.

Great location a short walk from Earl's Court station, so coming from Heathrow via the Picadilly line was a breeze. I forgot my English electical adaptor at home but the ladies at reception gladly loan me one for free and also gladly stowed my luggage when i head to Cambridge for the weekend. Service with a smile. The lady running the breakfast room made me feel very welcome even though i ordered ala cart instead of the usual buffet. Room was very large for London, it was very clean and the A/C works efficiently and quietly. Good value hotel for London.

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

value for money for SW5
    • Superior Single Room

The carpet in the common area can be refreshed. But this is such a point of detail compare of what we get.

Excellent value for money. It was one of the cheapest hotel in the area and superior to some 4 stars hotel around.. The staff were excellent and very approchable. The room was light and comfortable especially the bed.

Great value for money and close to the tube to get me to me 9.00 a.m. meeting on time
    • Superior Single Room

The facility was clean and close to the tube and restaurants. It was great value for money compared to other hotels that I have used for a similar price. I would stay again.

Excellent staff and location

Room was very small

Staff were excellent. They upgraded our room and were extremely polite and helpful. Location was excellent. Very close to public transport.

Staff was very friendly.

Rooms very, very small. No closet space, place to put suitcases. Steep stairs to very tight sleeping area upstairs that had no ventilation or climate control so very stuffy. Photos on booking sight were misleading.

Staff was very friendly. Near tube station.

Good value for the location

Not really much to dislike. But I will only stay in the superior standard rooms from now on, as the standard room was too small for me.

The staff were very welcoming and helpful. I have been there 2 weeks in a row and have been treated well on both occasions

Very friendly staff at the front desk and in the restaurant!
    • Superior Single Room

Very small room! Squeaking noise of the elevator... Window cannot properly close... Soap hangers in the bathroom falling off - not fixed well - rusty screws in the shower tub...

Very friendly staff at the front desk and in the restaurant! So nice staff that balance off discomfort of the room!

Comfortable well-conected place to stay in South Kensington

the room we had was not exactly spacious. The WLAN had a short break-down. Alas, we had only one chair.

an important plus: the picturesque little lane round the corner leading directly to Earls Court tube station. Isabella who guaranteed our well-being over breakfast was always in good humour and very efficient. Great appreciation for the receptionist who helped me with the online buying of tickets for the Bridge Theatre.

Handy for Earl's Court tube station.

I had an executive double room but it was in the basement so I felt a little claustrophobic. The room was a good size but being in the basement it was a bit dark.

Handy for Earl's Court tube station.

Great location and staff is very helpful and friendly, but the room was not worth the price.

The room was very small. The bed and the pillows were not very comfortable. The carpet had stains. The bathroom is tiny.

The staff was very friendly and helpful and the location was great for exploring the city.

Very good choice
    • Standard Single Room

The room was on the street so it was not very silent at night

The room was small but well organised, with complimentary water, bathrobe and nice products for the bathroom The possibility of having dinner at the hotel was very convenient for me Very good breakfast Very close to the underground station

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Clean rooms, staff very helpful and polite, comfy bed

Only thing I was disappointed by was that I booked a superior double room and the room we were given (205) although very nice, didn’t appear on any of the ‘superior room’ pictures on any site and didn’t look as good as the ones I had seen so I didn’t feel like we got a superior room. We were also facing the road which was quite loud but other than that no other complaints

Clean rooms, staff very helpful and polite, comfy bed

overall it was very pleasant - was disappointed with the bathroom.

The bathroom appeared to be very clean-that is why I was extremely surprised /disappointed to see several silver fish (insects) on the bathroom floor.

Location was great. Very close to relatives home. Bed was very comfy. Staff very friendly.

I was really disappointed with my stay at the Rockwell.

I was really disappointed with my stay at the Rockwell. I know the room was not too expensive, however, you expect a certain level of cleanliness and quality in the rooms. I basically didn't want to touch any of the furniture - it was stained and seemed dirty and very old. The style was very dated and seemed like it needed a very good refurb!

Excellent experience!

Spacious and clean rooms, excellent location. The staff is truly friendly and helpful, accommodating all our needs and requests. We felt very welcomed here and will definitely come back!

For the location I felt it was well priced, unfortunately I...

The standard room I stayed in only had a sofa and small TV, the bed was situated upstairs. I like the option of watching TV in bed if I want to (Lazy really). Not really anything else to moan about.

For the location I felt it was well priced, unfortunately I had stayed there the week before and will only be using their deluxe standard room from now on. The standard room is I feel not big enough, but the deluxe is better value. The staff were very helpful and I will stay their again.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Very nice place to stay in London. Hope we'll be back soon.

One of the rooms is a little tired with a depressing outlook. But the room we stayed in was lovely, nice outlook and very comfortable.

The staff were very, very helpful and friendly (with a good sense of humour in the restaurant at breakfast). When I had a concern with the room the staff dealt with my request quickly, efficiently and professionally. The Hotel is close to Earls Court station and there is easy access to Heathrow.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Fabulous Location. But beware the shower!
    • Superior Single Room

The shower is tiny. Not possible to shower properly. I wish it was a little bigger.

Fantastic location. I really like being in the Earl's Court area. The hotel is located a little away from where all the buzz is - so is quiet at night. And it's less than a 10-min walk to the tube station. Lots of Asian food available and there even is a laundromat round the corner if you need it.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Excellent service, nice room, very clean. Staff very nice and helpful. Very well located .
    • Mezzanine Suite

Just around the corner from Earls Court tube. Left bags with reception all day after checkout to allow for catching later train home. Staff incredibly friendly and helpful. Very comfortable bed.

The room was very cosy and the bed comfortable for one...
    • Standard Single Room

It took a while to get warm water in the shower but it seems that this was caused by satying at the 4th floor

The room was very cosy and the bed comfortable for one person. Earl´s Court tube is in walking distance and the nightbus N97 from Picadilly Circus stops just a few blocks ahead. The staff is very polite and helpfull. There is a breakfast and dinner in the hotel´s Restaurant available but I haven´t tried it out. WLAN is very good!

very pleasant experience and stay in the hotel
    • Standard Single Room

the bed was uncomfortable for me, the mattress was too hard, I had to wait too long for hot water in the shower, it was too loud due to busy road outside

I liked the ambiance of the hotel, the single room was nicely appointed, the staff was very welcoming

The hotel met out needs very well, with no complaints.

As I have some back trouble, I would have preferred to have the choice of a more upright chair in the bedroom and in the lounge area - however, this is similar for most hotels.

There was a wide choice of places to eat and drink within easy walking distance on Earls Court Road. It was possible to walk to South Kensington (in about 20 minutes) for museums, and to Royal Albert Hall and Hyde Park (in about 30 minutes). Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The area felt safe. The room was very clean. The hotel also seemed quiet.

convenient location to Earls Court Station

Furnishings are a little tired looking and it is quite expensive for just room only.

Great Location and lovely bright rooms with high ceilings and windows

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

The only saving grace was the very helpful and understanding...

When we entered our room all the furniture was stacked ontop of the bed. Clearly some kind of extensive cleaning procedure had taken place as the very worn carpet in the room was soaked wet and smelled of detergents. After alerting the staff we were served complimentary drinks while they tried to figure out what had happened which was a nice gesture. We had no choice other than to stay there anyway as we arrived at the hotel quite late. The staff was clearly surprised as well and tried their best to remedy the situation but as the hotel was fully booked we saw no other choice than to find another hotel in the morning as the room was extremely unpleasant to stay in. The carpet was stained just about everywhere. The curtains had big red stains splashed all over them. Sheets were stained as well. Apart from the general dirtiness, the room also lacked basic necessities such as bedstand lamps, alarm clock not plugged in etc. I truly hope we were enormously unlucky because if the standard of the other rooms is anywhere near the one we had then this hotel is in a serious need of a revamp.

The only saving grace was the very helpful and understanding staff that did their best to solve the situation and did not in the end charge us for the room.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

GOOD LOCATION AND VERY COMFORTABLE

THE SHAVER SOCKET IN THE BATHROOM DID NOT WORK AND THE SHOWER WAS RIGID WHICH WAS DIFFICULT FOR SOMEONE SMALL LIKE MYSELF PLUS ALTERING TEMPERATURE OF SHOWER NOT GOOD

THE ROOMS WERE SPACIOUS IN DESIGN GIVING ROOM TO MOVE ROUND BATHROOM WELL APPOINTED.EVERYWHERE IMPECCABLY CLEAN AND TIDY AND BREAKFAST WAS EXCELLENT.ALL STAFF WERE VERY FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Good choice for a short break in central London
    • Superior Single Room

The single room was surprisingly large and well equipped, and did not look dated (as had been my impression from the photographs). Very large and light bathroom for a not-too-expensive London hotel. The location was good for both Earls Court and Kensington High Street, the Design Museum and so on.

The Rockwell: On my keeper list!

A short walk to Earls Court Underground (direct access from & to Heathrow, which saved on transport costs); walking distance to the V&A, Hyde Park, shopping and many other attractions. All the staff were lovely and helpful. I can happily recommend the restaurant. There are a few steps up to the front door, but there is a lift inside for access to the rooms. Please note my bed was on a mezzanine floor, which I didn't have any problems with, but could be difficult if you have mobility issues. Definitely worth checking with the staff before checking in. You should be able to mention this in the booking comments section. The room had a huge window, making it light and airy with beautiful light filtered by the trees along Cromwell Road. I would definitely stay at The Rockwell again.

Great Hotel in a smashing location .
    • Garden Room

The only thing noticed is the carpet and blanket need to be replaced ....very worn out and robes rather on the hard side .

Very welcoming and friendly staff ...the garden room was lovely with its own little outside space . Air conditioning was fab as it was a scorching weekend .

Very good experience
    • Superior Single Room

It rained at night and it could be heard quite loudly from the room, which didn't allow me to sleep very well. Soundproofing in the room is not the best.

High quality finishes and overall experience. Clean. Complimentary water in the room.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2018

quiet hotel in a busy part of London
    • Garden Room

The carpet is a little threadbare in places but I think I'm just being super critical.

We stayed at The Rockwell as we were in London for a family wedding. It's good value for money considering it's location. The staff were really friendly. We had a garden room which was quite large with a quiet, sunny patio area. The room itself was clean with good facilities, large tv and mini bar. We had breakfast which was delicious with a good choice of hot and cold options. I would definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

fair enough

a bit worn, tiny shower, towels smelled really bad. our bed was located above the tiny living room kinda thing, so we had to climb up on small stairs, and we couldn't watch the tv from the bed, cause it was 'downstairs'. overall pretty small room and bathroom. i wouldn't say it is modern nor stylish. just alright.

location, staff, huge window to the street, and a nice balkony, although you can't go out, the restaurant was great, overall it was nice.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Overall very good hotel

The size of the shower and overall bathroon.

The staff were rrally friendly; Breackfast; Really confy bed; The location is amazing; Very good experience

Would definitely stay there again

Everything was great

Staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast room was very clean and kitchen staff were very good. The rooms were clean and the best was they kept our bags whilst we traveled through Europe and upon return our bags were already in our rooms if we came in late. Loved everything about the hotel

An excellent find in a great location.
    • Garden Room

The pillows were much too soft. But that was literally the only complaint.

I was so surprised by this hotel. My expectations were fairly low because of the price, but it was wonderful. Clean, comfortable, stylish and central. And with a terrace!

Great location in central London with a restaurant, and a...
    • Standard Single Room

Nothing - I was very happy with my stay and would stay here again.

Great location in central London with a restaurant, and a great outside seating area for drinks in the evening. Rooms were small (unsurprisingly in London) but well appointed and comfortable. Within walking distance of a number of great London 'must see' places - Kensington & Chelsea, and some of the big museums (Natural History, Science and V&A) and I would definitely stay here again on business or for pleasure.

This a lovely hotel.

This a lovely hotel. It’s excellent value for money for the standard of accommodation you get. You don’t get rooms this size and standard in London for this price. Special thanks to the staff who were genuinely lovely and helpful. I will definitely be staying here again.

Lovely place to stay, good value for money.

The initial check in was managed by someone not so welcoming, and there wasn't much on offer to eat late at night after a long time getting there. No elevator, so a little challenging to get the suitcases up the stairs.

The day staff were lovely and helpful, room was very clean and from our floor we had a nice view of the courtyard below. We didn't stay long enough to eat however the menu looked great. Close to public transport and the tour bus people, also a laundromat nearby and supermarket. Pub around the corner. Very easy to get to and from.

Very enjoyable, clean and tidy will be staying here again in the furure.

Shower was small if you're of big build it could be a bit difficult. The items in the minibar were a bit overpriced but we got some wine from Sainsburys just around the corner so wasn't an issue.

Everything was as expected Staff were helpful and friendly. The room was clean smelled great bed really comfy. We had room 407 which was at the rear of the building and so was away from the main road. Not far from Earls Court tube station so great for getting around.

Pleasant stay
    • Superior Single Room

The room is a bit smaller than expected. There wasn't space to lay luggage open on the floor.

The stay was worth every penny. The room was clean, the staff were helpful and friendly, and the location was absolutely fantastic - 8 mins wall to the nearest tube station. The photos on the website does true justice.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Great staff always and lovely, comfortable space to spend...

As a light breakfast eater, 1 bowl of cereal plus fruit, I was disappointed to be charged an excessive £12.50. Not great.

Great staff always and lovely, comfortable space to spend the night.

Clean tidy. Polite staff.
    • Standard Single Room

Room 403 bed isn’t very comfy. The mattress has a massive lump towards the bottom of the bed and I felt as if I was slanting off to one side. So didn’t sleep well

The staff was polite and helpful.

Last minute found for a one night stay, I was positively supriced of this cute little boutique style

Very helpful staff. Room was big for London standards and quiet. Well working airco in the room was great as the weather outside was reaching +30c! Very pretty small garden to chill and read the newspaper after hectic city trip!

Lovely welcoming staff, clean and modern decor and a...

Evening meal service was very slow however the food when it arrived was delicious.

Lovely welcoming staff, clean and modern decor and a beautiful sun/ wine garden.

Good hotel
    • Superior Single Room

Some of the decor was a little tired, hall carpets require an upgrade.

The hotel was reasonably priced for London. The staff very helpful , rooms comfortable and and a good size. Shower room clean and good sized with toiletries. The food was tasty and rhe garden area a lovely place to sit.

Pleasant location, lovely staff, but room not as big as promised and noisy.

Room was smaller than promised and the bathroom was tiny with very little space to manoeuvre and a cramped loo / turning space - shower had fixed head and poor water pressure making showering difficult. I also had to put up with a noisy air-conditioning unit under my window despite specifically asking for that not to be the case. They told me it would be switched off by 10pm but it wasn't till 1am and then on again at 7am.

Staff were friendly and helpful

convenient location and great facilities.

It was a really hot day and I didnt feel the air con was as cool as it could have been.

Very friendly and helpful staff, compact room but clean and comfortable. The breakfast was nice.

Very enjoyable and such lovely friendly staff.

Hallways a little narrow but seriously not an issue for us and wouldn’t stop our return or us recommending.

Staff could not be more helpful and location to Hyde Park was fab. We had no need to use the tube as everything was walkable. Lots of lovely eateries close by and food at breakfast was tasty and plentiful. Great little boutique style hotel. Great size room for central London. Will most certainly return.

Good for a solo traveller
    • Superior Single Room

Room was generally clean, but there was a spill stain on carpet and a bit of wall paper was lifting, a 5 minute fix could have sorted.

Good location, convenient for tube , staff were friendly, single room was a decent size.

So many good points only marred by lack of management.

Management and organisation of breakfast very poor on one occasion with insufficient staff and no one in charge. People were turned away and tables left uncleared as one person tried to manage indoor and outside space and make drinks for everyone.

Fantastic location with excellent sound proofing from a busy road. Beautifully furnished with a lovely small garden outside for drinks and/or eats. The decor was lovely, modern and imaginative. Courteous and efficient reception staff.

The staff were very welcoming and friendly.

Although the bathroom had everything we needed and was Extremely clean, it was just a bit too small. The showers need somewhere within them to place the toiletries on so you don’t have to bend double in a small space to pick them up.

The staff were very welcoming and friendly. Our room was comfortable and quiet with everything we needed. The breakfast was excellent. There is a lovely garden where we were lucky enough to be able to sit and eat breakfast as the weather was so good.

Very helpful staff..garden lovely
    • Standard Single Room

The single room I had booked was very small and dated...not good at all. However staff moved me to another room which was lovely.

first room was very poor however i was offered an upgrade and moved to another room which was wonderful.

Best stay in London for a long time !

The Garden Room was very spacious and the bed extremely comfortable whilst all the staff were very friendly and only a short walk to Earls Court tube station. Lovely breakfast with good quality produce

Wonderful stay, and top notch reception.

Only issue is spotty Wifi, which could be due to so many hotels in the area, as connection weakest during prime times.

Wonderful stay, and top notch reception.

• Standard Single Room

Don't book a single room (I didn't even know that 'real' single rooms still exist) - tiny with a small and (too) short bed; low maintenance - lots of stains on the walls and across the carpet; cracked tiles and dents in the bathroom/shower...

Tasteful interior design and an upscale, yet relaxed style of the lobby, bar and restaurant; nice terrasse in the backyard; located conveniently close to Earl's Court, so on the Piccadilly Line to LHR

Everything was absolutely fantastic!

There was nothing to dislike :-)

Everything was absolutely fantastic! People, food, service, room. It was one of the best hotel in our lifes! Thanks for having London holiday of my dreams. Be sure we will come again!

Good location, nice premises, friendly staff
    • Standard Single Room

Design of the room was awful. The room was small (12 sq m) but it's London and I expected that. But I didn't expect to lose 3 to 4 of those 12 because of the unusable wasted hallway on entering the room. Very bad design and layout made the room ridiculously minuscule.

Good location, nice premises, friendly staff

Awesome time.

I was traveling with my Mom and she is 78 and handicapped. The staff went out of their way to help me with her and to get her mobility scooter in and out so she could go out everyday and see London. Breakfast included was awesome. The 2 mornings Mom woke up and was just 2 tired 2 do anything, i went to the restaurant and brought back her breakfast and called the front desk for anything she needed while i was out. The weather was nice most of the time so i was able to sit on the back patio in the evenings.

Perfect place to stop after a long flight from Melbourne.

A little on the pricey side for what you get - but hey, that's London accommodation for you. And in this case, I think, it's worth it. Can't blame a hotel for keeping up with the industry standard.

From the lovely welcome and friendly staff to the clean, comfortable (and blissfully quiet!) room, there was a lot to love about this conveniently-located gem in central London. Hope to return.

One of the pictures for the standard single room in the...
    • Standard Single Room

One of the pictures for the standard single room in the Booking.com webpage shows a Nespresso machine, that was not there. There was instant coffee instead.

The location is ideal for access to central London via ube...

Black out blinds didn't block any sunlight and room was bright from half 5

The location is ideal for access to central London via ube at Earls Court. Room 108 was very quiet.

Lovely quiet spot to rest in London

The pillows were flat and the shower stall was so small it was difficult to move! The wait staff struggled to communicate and seemed irritated when questions were asked. ( it appeared to be a language issue as most of the employees spoke English as a second language).

The location was good. It was quiet, clean, and welcoming. The back garden was a slice of heaven in the city!!

A little gem of a place with lovely back garden for relaxing...

A little gem of a place with lovely back garden for relaxing and eating al fresco. Great welcoming staff and super location. Very good value for money.

The staff were outstanding!

Shower was small but very clean.

The staff were outstanding! Non stop excellent service with dedication, caring and efficiency. Everyone was professional and yet warm and friendly.

Great location great staff , very expensive for below average room

Stains on the carpet and the bedding, didn't feel comfortable In the sheets. Had to swap sides with my wife as she wouldn't sleep on the suspicious stained side .

pleasant stay
    • Standard Single Room

The staff were friendly but some of them struggled with the English language. The internet was spotty in my room , and the carpets in my room were old and stained, but that probably is why it was more reasonably priced than some of the other hotels in the area .

Staff were very helpful, it was nice that there was a garden/patio area I sat outside late afternoon read my book and had a glass of wine . I liked that it was a smaller hotel and had a staircase like you’d have in a house . Short walk to Earl’s Court tube station which has a lift that goes down to the Piccadilly line ( direct line to Heathrow)which is handy if you have a suitcase .