Reviews of The Roebuck Inn – RelaxInnz

West Street, Harrietsham, Harrietsham, ME17 1HX, United Kingdom

#1 of 1 hotels in Harrietsham

Should have paid for a pudding on ordering are dinner, as by the time we had finished the kitchen was closed

Restaurant on site, lovely food, comfortable bed , big shower, with parking on site, in a quite area

The bathroom had mould in the ceiling and the bathroom tiles. The air vent in the bathroom was full of dust. Carpet was dirty and covered with 2 carpet squares which were a tripping hazard. Restaurant was closed.

A short drive from the ferry after a long day. Bed was comfortable. A full English breakfast was OK.

The owners was not at all welcoming, the carpets need to be replaced there was mould in the bathroom overall it needs a refurbishment

The owners were not at all welcoming and the facilities were ok for working men but not suitable for couples, food was very poor had a jacket potato with beans the potato was cold although the beans were hot not at all enjoyable. Would rate it ok for working men

• Family Room (2 Adults + 1 Child)

Noisy til late due to customers in the pub. Light comes into the room through the door window so not possible for room to be pitch black for sleeping.

I arrived on a Sunday afternoon about 1700 and they stopped serving food at 1530 on Sundays. Thankfully I'd stopped earlier at another pub and had a big lunch but I had contemplated continuing on to have a Sunday roast at the Roebuck. I would have been very disappointed. My single room No 10 is in a narrow, loft area and because of the sloping ceilings it doesn't have a proper shower so I had to kneel in the bath and shower myself down in that position. There was no light beside or near the bed so I had to use the main light to read in bed.

The rooms are set at the back of the pub and there wasn't really any noise from the bar or outside areas. The room was very clean and perfectly functional. Breakfast was served from 0700 which allowed me to make an early start on my next day's walk.

Unwelcoming. Room very basic. Bath gel almost empty. Landlady shoved a laminated breakfast menu at me and refused scrambled eggs on toast It was full English or vegetarian full English only “That’s what the menu is for” she said. I asked if she could scramble the egg and leave the rest. “Only if I have too” she replied. So I had to force the request. Lots of jam but no marmalade. I was glad to get away

Greeting could have been a bit more friendly but the gentleman was straight to the point and for on with things which isn't a problem.

The lady in the morning had really great customer care and knew what ingredients contained wheat for breakfast and looked after us both.

Staff were under pressure because of staff non attendance, so service was painfully slow. That said, we understand the owners predicament so cant be blamed. Did not like the checking in at the bar when it was full of workmen, my wife was very unnerved

Good size room which was spotlessly clean. Breakfast adequate, restaurant food decent.

- The "welcoming" was horrible, never had something like that before in my life. No friendly "welcome" or "good afternoon", but an almost aggressive "name?" was the only word the man behind the bar could shout at us. - Before our arrival, I let them know, as requested, that we would dine in the pub downstairs. On the night itself (around 7:30 pm), we were waiting at our table for more than 10 minutes. Nobody showed up to bring us menus or take our drink order, although staff were walking around in the pub. So we left and went to a place not far away called 'The Windmill', where we had a friendly welcome and very good food.

The lady serving breakfast was friendly and helpful. Full English breakfast was ok.

Restaurant not available/closed on arrival (8pm) on Friday evening. We were told that if we wanted to eat there was an Indian Restaurant close by! Breakfast was only severed between 08.30 and 09.15 on a Saturday morning. The bin in the bathroom had not been emptied and contained used sanitary products and there was mould in the shower.

Great location for Leeds Castle.

I don't think there was anything not to like. The food, bathroom, and all else were well placed, no nothing to fault at all.

The bed was comfortable, the room clean and the furniture matched and usable. Though the bar staff was new, he was quick to get answers to our questions. The food was of good value, and a good selection. The bathroom was well laid out and easy to use. All other staff were pleasant, though we only had cereal for breakfast, there was the opportunity to have it cooked, and there was other alternatives as well. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to others. We will be staying there again I am sure.

There really isn't much to do unless you want to visit Leeds Castle. Expect to have to drive to get anywhere or do anything.

Bed very comfy. The rooms are upstairs in a local pub/restaurant. As you would expect it gets busy and loud in the evening but we hid away in comfy seats in the restaurant, which wasn't busy and was much quieter.

Bed comfy but could not really sleep before pub chucked out as room above pub lounge and also no chef as was off sick - fair enough on the first night but still no chef on second night! Average stay to be honest.

Bed comfy

They advertised dinner, and I even telephoned to tell them I was going to want dinner. But when I arrived I was told no food was being served that night, Tuesday, and there was a good Indian round the corner. I got a take-away!

The room was clean, the bathroom was in need of some up grading... no plug in the basin.

On arrival walk in through the bar and was greeted by the barman who clearly had an attitude even when paying him money for the room. The rooms would be great if the décor was not so tired and the carpets were filthy. The manageress was more accommodating and clearly done the bulk of the work throughout the building. Pub times stated 11pm closing, came back at 10pm and it was locked up!!

The location was ideal for us. The beds were very comfortable and the linen crisp and clean. The room was fitted out with everything you would need and the breakfast although limited was very nice.

Unfriendly host @ check in...’Welcome’ would have been nice rather than getting the card machine as soon as we arrived!

Good breakfast, value for money

Well-worn interiors that could use a power wash and refurb. But then, you'd probably have to pay more! It is fine as is as long as you don't expect sparkly modern. Breakfast is cleared away on time so don't be late.

Location a short walk off Pikgrim Way. Breakfast lady like your mom: curt but caring and lovely despite seeming brusque. Makes a quick full English! Price was half what we paid in Rochester and Chilham. If you're walking, eat at the Bad Habit on the way and you'll be happy.

It was worth the money paid. One slight detraction was the sound suppression from the adjoining rooms, not good, one had to be very quiet.

All was perfectly acceptable

The room could have been cleaner and the carpet was stained, the rugs were curled up and could have been a trip hazard

Bed was very comfy and room surprisingly quiet

Very friendly welcome, my silly demands were met with a friendly smile, not a grin... I fully recommend this hotel, they can not do enough for their guests. Thank you

Having to leave

I cane for a family funeral from derby I found my greeting very warm from check in warm environment it was a difficult time for are family but the staff were great kind listern after check out kept my bags safe till after funneral as the roe buck host the wake which was fantastic service an food was amazing I want thank the staff for a great stay room was warm very clean and bed was great breakfast was lovely thank u all so much for a great stay

A last minute booking - but didn't disappoint. Comfy bed, big fat pillows and a warm room. Shower was great and plenty of hot water. Didn't try the tea or coffee in the room or dine in the restaurant in the evening so can't comment there. Breakfast was good, a tasty full English and a help yourself to cereal, pastries and juice. Staff were lovely - would definitely stay again.

The staff were not over friendly. It was hard to get a conversation or smile. But they weren't rude.

Full English breakfast served to you with lots of other things to help yourself to. No choice - just cooked breakfast or no cooked breakfast.

Room was roomy but shabby. No chairs. Insufficient furniture. Dirty stool covering. Carpet covered by another piece of carpet which kept riding up. Duvet very thin and not sufficient for the low temperatures at that time. The worst bit was our first breakfast - expecting cooked one but only cereals and dry sliced bread (still in packet it was bought in and same packet was offered for 3 breakfasts). On the 2nd and 3rd mornings much better as we were offered a cooked breakfast which was very good. Still the same dried up bread though. Good coffee on 1st and 2nd mornings. Tea cold on 1st morning.

Situation of Inn and layout in lounge area. Bathroom good and nice clean towels every day. Bed comfy. Friendliness and helpfulness of young lad from Cornwall behind bar. Room nice and warm. No traffic noise even though we were at the front of the building. Nice cooked breakfast on 2nd and 3rd mornings.

We stayed for 4 days.The beds were very very creaky. The breakfast was ok but the sausages were terrible. Probably the worst I’ve ever had ( I was a butcher for 40 years so I know). The heater in the bathroom, which was cold,wasn’t working and the towels weren’t changed every day. So they were bit damp

The location was great and the price was ok.

Room was quite drab and shower had black in the sealant round the base

The pub bar and restaurant was good - bar light and airy nice atmosphere and the restaurant comfortable. The Bed was also comfy.

Very unhelpful landlord, couldnt' take the time show us to our room as he was far too busy attending to the locals in the bar, asked for directions to the Kent County Showground.... shrugged his shoulders, although he's local. Asked when breakfast was served he replied between 8am & 9am - I said we'll go for 8.45, he responded with that's too late we'll be packing away by then

• Disabled Twin room

The annex has paper thin walls so you can hear everthing if you have neighbours. The room had no central heating and the gas filled electric radiator took a few hours to warm the room (in early October).

Nice staff, comfortable bed, good size room.

• Disabled Twin room

Grumpy staff. Extremely dated and kitsch. Breakfast 'just' okay - Other ratings on booking.com over rate it - its really just bad diner quality.

Bed was okay - two singles. Was quiet.

Could have been warned about the step down into the bedroom rather than doing a double somersault into the room having missed the step.

Friendly staff and reasonable evening meal. Breakfast was fine.

Might have been a housekeeping blip but given clean towels on second day but wet towels not removed and bathroom sink not cleaned.

Fish and chips excellent. Fried breakfast without fat. Well stocked bar to suit most people`s taste. Friendly staff and locals. Ideally situated to visit Leeds Castle. Well stocked visitors information stand.

The mattress in our room had a spring that poked in my husbands back which didn't make for an un-grumpy day after and the carpet could do with a good clean.

The shower was great and there were loads of tea/coffee in the room. The staff were friendly and helped out when we found that they did not served food on a Sunday evening even after being sent an e-mail to book a table as they do get very busy. The breakfast was great, lots of choice and plenty to eat. Clean linen and nice shower freebees.

was in a tiny tiny attic room lots of stairs no shower, just a hand held spray in the bath kept bumping head host took me to room, no mention of help with luggage more of a pub than a hotel

breakfast was ok

Late breakfast service

Average room and bathroom was rather musty. If you are going for a morning channel crossing beware that breakfast is served from 8:30 to 9:30 on a Saturday morning. (I am not sure about other days of the week). So breakfast was not possible for us. On the plus side the evening meal was good and the young girl who served us was very nice.

bed was very noisey ,( like it had springs.......but it didn't it was slats ).

Staff friendly. Although room is over a pub , it was surprisingly quiet .

Lack of basic maintenance in the bedroom (room 1)--lights not working , extractor fan not working, very loose hot tap in bathroom, bathroom door catching on tiled floor, stained walls, furniture and ceilings ,tea cups etc in bedroom not cleaned by housekeeping, banging fire door on landing outside (room 1), breakfast one hour late as landlady overslept!!! Not a lot of choice on dinner menu for vegetarians.

The Pubs location.

The room was tiny and uncomfortable. It was built into a loft space with poor height to stand up in. I banged my head on the sloping walls and had to go around stooped over to avoid this. In the middle of the ceiling there was only a 2 foot wide space that was only 6 foot 4 inches from the floor! I had to move the bed over in order to be able to stand up as the bed intially covered the high point in the room There was no shower please see the attached photos. As I have an arthritic knee, I felt I could possibly get in the bath but with its very low height above was afraid that I might not be able to get out again, therefore was not able to have a good wash. I asked for a replacement room but was told "we are full up". I felt the room was totally unacceptable.

Not very much.

• Disabled Twin room

Heated towel rail and room heating didn't work. Coat hangers were broken. Wash hand basin was minute, very difficult to clean teeth etc and impossible to fill kettle. Wifi only worked in the bar and not in our room.

The beds were comfortable.

This place is excellent value for money. The staff were friendly and helpful. It's a lovely, quirky old building but the facilities all clean and modern. And they serrved a great breakfast. Also there's an excellent Indian restaurant just around the corner.

Dreadful evening meal and breakfast. Poor quality, poor service and very slow. Dreadful customer care - were not able or willing to book me a taxi. Couldn't be bothered.

Clean quiet and functioning bedrooms. Friendly welcome on arrival. Handy for Harrietsham rail station

Couldn't shower, no head room. Cobwebs and felt unclean. Unpleasant odour, stairs and bedroom (windows were wide open on arrival 8pm)

Bath water was hot.

Breakfast doesn't start until 8:30 at the weekends which is quite late for travellers catching the tunnel / ferry.

Food very good in the evening. Very good value for money overall and a great overnight stop. Good breakfast

I asked to issue the invoice against my company name and i did not receive it

Location and the building itself clean and quiet I am very happy that I booked a room in this hotel

• Disabled Twin room

Mattresses were awful. We ended up both sleeping in a single bed using the other duvet to cover the springs. Bed linen had several holes. Whole bathroom smelt of damp with rotting wood around the doorframe and muck and grime embedded in all the grouting. Smoking table situated outside the window. Neighbours TV and talking could be heard until 2am through the wall. We also waited over 20 minutes for a sandwich and panini. Menus were totally different to the menu available on the website.

Bedrooms were nicely presented. Sandwiches/paninis were good quality. Easy to locate.

Staff was more interested in watching his football, there was a bag left from previous customers left in the bin, cobwebs in the bathroom

The bed was comfortable and breakfast was nice

The mattress was a little too firm for my taste, and no fruit added to my Pimms. Other than that, no complaints.

The hotel/pub was set back from a main road, so didn't hear any traffic noise, quiet location, bathroom a good size, clean, friendly staff, good food. pillows good. Was a bigger place than i expected.

As stated above

The quality of breakfast and lady who cooked and served really very good and friendly. Did not eat in at dinner, but was advised by other guests, supposedly very good. Room left a lot to be desired; in eves and only in middle of room able to stand up; very tired and could do with being totally updated. Bathroom not enough room to swing a cat, could not stand in bath to have shower (I shower every day normally, never bath, ) Overall very poor quality, light bulbs blown, no bedside reading facility (Ie lamp); no wardrobe space, just a cheap Argos hanging rail; entrance door just like cupboard under the stairs doorway; Overall whole place quite nice, BUT, very tired, needs a good decorating job and personally I would never even consider again. VERY POOR CHOICE!

Very nice pub, good full English breakfast. Nice room, comfortable bed, slept very well. TIP: If you're not in the mood for a pub meal. Right around the corner on the A20 (couple of minutes walk) is an excellent Indian restaurant: the taste of Bengal. Extremely good quality food and good prices!!

I stayed on a Sunday but they could not provide any food at all, but maybe it said somewhere on booking. (shame because if it was similar to the breakfast, would have been ideal)

Excellent value. Particular like the lack of penny pinching despite price ie enough coffee/ tea for 8 drinks, shampoo and shower gel and soap etc. Very adequate breakfast, both cooked and help yourself( not one or the other)Staff very freindly. This is not Park Lane, but was better than many more expensive I have encountered Would definitely return.

My bed was a little too soft for me. Might be just right for you, so take it as you will :)

It's a good little spot that is priced right, for what you get. Our roast dinners were super sized and delicious. I would happily stay there again.

Room in the eaves was too hot and meant open velux windows essential. Result was an strong smell of curry from the nearby Indian restaurant and the incessant roar of the M20 punctuated by the scream of passing motorbikes on the A20. No, I didn't sleep well. Maybe the other rooms were different...

Price

Staff didn't know prices in the menu,I got charged the wrong bar tab,room payment taken on arrival? Room was ok but very noisy ,kitchen extractor outside window,music,doors slamming.Tv remote didn't work,carpets in room were filthy.Food not very good.

Room was ok

The carpet in the bedroom needed a good shampoo or replacing and the staircase was stuffy and could be cleaner, especially the handrail.

The staff were friendly

Towels only changed once in a 5 night stay (policy !?) Breakfast "very supermarket like" and nearly all self service

Generous amount of dinner.

Bedroom poorly cleaned if not in direct sight eg under bed, behind cabinet etc. Evening meal terrible- worst I've had anywhere, breakfast poor, cutlery dirty and cutley box filthy. Coffee dreadful

Not a lot

Restaurant was closed when we arrived because of Quiz night but we were directed to a nice Indian restaurant just two or three minutes walk away. Lift would have been nice for those with mobility issues but this was not too much of a problem.

Staff were very friendly and the location was ideal for the Eurotunnel. Beds were clean and the room was pleasant and well presented. We asked for a room near the stairs and our request was met. Fantastic area and very rural.

Our room had been recently decorated although one of friends, their room the ceiling was peeling away and felt rather cramped.

the hotel was friendly and relaxed. Our room was number 5 clean and tidy

Never book a single room here - NO Shower just a bath with shower atatchment. No wardrobe just a rail. Food service stops @ 08.45. Towels not changed when left on floor. Toiletries not replaced during three night stay. Bathroom an assult course. Hit head on bathroom ceiling each time I had a bath. Very small TV. Had to leave before breakfast times failed to supply cereal as promised. Failed to respond to e-mails sent via booking.com. Breakfast times are not suitable for a business traveller - 07.30 weekdays - 08.30 weekends. Not worth the money charged

Decor old and tired, but it suited the place. It didn't detract from the satisfaction of the stay.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Good Ploughmans, good breakfast.

The room was functional (had a bed, fan, bathroom), but cramped. It was what I needed for the night, but I don't feel I have to go back.

Very convenient and good for the money.

Going down for breakfast we were unsure where to go... would have preferred someone to show us where to sit or explain the process of breakfast. Other than that, brilliant value for money and very clean and comfortable stay. Staff were so welcoming and accommodating and we would defiantly go back again!

Incredibly clean

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

We were walking to the hotel (following the Pilgrims Way) & there was a chance we might fall a bit behind schedule & I phoned in the morning to say we might be a little bit late checking in...maybe 11.30pm. I was told in a not particularly friendly manner that if we were late they would be closed & that was that. No flexibility. In the end we bust a gut to get there on time, which we did, but could have done without that pressure.

Close to the Pilgrims Way which we were walking

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

The outside seating area was for smokers so we couldn't relax outside anywhere Not enough room for 2 suitcases in the twin room.

The food was great and we preferred to have dinner at the accommodation. Cathy is a great cook and was able to cater for my gluten free needs. Buffet & full English breakfast were very good Beds were comfy

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

Very nice staff and the dinner was delicious (huge portions of home-good food.) Lovely historic building and location between Canterbury and Leeds perfect.

Rooms WiFi could be upgraded. The breakfast - I've waited ages for it.

A very nice place, very tidy and neat. Perfect pub at the location, to have one pint before retiring to bed.

My wife is disabled and we had the furthest room, but the roebuck weren't to know that so my fault for not mentioning when booking

A very good breakfast to set you up for the day

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

We couldn't find any fault.

The food in their restaurant was superb and fantastic value for money. We had a seniors 3 course meal for less than £10!!!! Breakfast was freshly cooked and offered a wide variety of choice. Perfect.

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

The offer of Fruit or Yoghurt @ breakfast. Full english daily can be too much if staying for more than 2 mornings - we stayed 4.

Located just off the A20 @ Harrietsham. Easy to find. Very friendly staff. Comfortable room

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

Broken fittings in room. Small room. Noisy position. Unwelcoming hosts. No meals available at 21:15, our arrival time. Bed sheets stained. Check in at bar during pub quiz.

Breakfast was passable.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

The property is a bit tired and could really do with some updating.

Just minutes from Harrietsham station, so this suited my travel arrangements. Friendly, helpful staff. Quiet location so I had a good sleep.

• Reviewed: 4 March 2017

Only one member of staff behind bar on a quiz night covering 2 bars, made service slow, heating not working in single room, noises boiler and chiller can be heard in room all night in and off. Only a half size bath with handheld shower. No extra pillows or a blanket in room. Expensive for a single room at £49

The food portions were huge and tasty

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

One day our room wasn't serviced only the cups were washed,no replenishing of tea coffee etc. Otherwise that's the only thing I could complain about

Food was good, rooms good and spacious.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Very poor cleanliness....had to change rooms as even someone else's clothes were left in the wardrobe. Discovered a pair of socks behind the dressing table in the second room. Very noisy room with music from the bar til almost 11pm.....it was supposed to have quiet hours between 10pm and 8am. Dangerous step into the bedroom with no warning signs which meant I fell down on entering the room. All in all, NOT to be recommended

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

The food was ok, average pub grub, but could be improved with a little care - as an example the peas were cold and under cooked which for me reduced the overall quality of the meal. Breakfasts were really good though.

The staff were lovely and the rooms were very comfortable

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

Room was very poor, dusty with stained carpet. Drinks, soaps, towels and loo rolls were not replenished properly for second nights stay.Menu choices in bar were basic.No WiFi in bedroom.

Ideal for a short stay near family. Staff were friendly and helpful. Food available in evenings.