Reviews of The Royal Hotel 3 stars

Barnstaple Street, Bideford, EX39 4AE, United Kingdom

#7 of 8 B&Bs and Inns in Bideford

Breakfast had to pay separately and thought it was a lil expensive so we didn't have one as it would have cost over forty pounds for the four of us but am I being too picky,,,,,

Good place very nice location and with a car park and a very nice hotel

No criticisms.

Staff were very welcoming and friendly, room was very clean and bed super comfy. Comfy lounge/bar area with good selection of light meals. Location also excellent, with parking.

As with all city hotels, the car park was a short walk away.

Very happy to recommend The Royal. Our double room was adequate for our one night stay and the bed and pillows most comfortable. Dinner and breakfast provided plenty of choice and was cooked and presented well. All the staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Standard Twin Room

Dangerous crossing to the car park on the opposite side of the road. Would have preferred a double bed over the two single ones.

Friendliness of the staff - convenience of the location - smartness & helpfulness of the staff - comfort of the lounges - overall cleanliness of lounges & bedroom - the seating arrangements for breakfast.

Room was dated, bathroom tap was so old it fell off in my husbands hand, air con was above kitchen so we had all the fumes and noise from downstairs, floors were noisy and uneven

Bed was comfortable

• Standard Single Room

Very comfy bed in a cosy single room. Well furnished. Comfortable lounge and very good tasty bar snacks with generous portion of salad and a pot of chips.

Great first impression... Then we went upstairs to our rooms! Very claustrophobic, very dated decor and extremely hot and stuffy. Plus side were the very friendly and helpful staff and a lovely breakfast!

The mattress in our room was not as comfortable as it might have been. I think it has passed our sell by date.

The staff were all very helpful and friendly. The location is good - can walk into town. Food quality is very good and the helpings are generous.

Bathroom was very small and the toilet did not flush properly. Room was dark due to a small window covered in scaffolding.

Clean and tidy room. Gluten free cereal available on first morning but not on the second. I had let them know in advance my husband is a coeliac.

Wifi was quite slow, and there was no lighting in the corridor outside the room. The room was very comfortable, but will need updating. I was unfortunately woken very early by external noise beyond the hotel's control (sounded like a roadsweeper at 4am), and then by the housekeeping staff later in the morning, but definitely not at an unacceptable time...

Lovely staff, and excellent information on (late night) arrival regarding parking. Comfy bed, and nice bathroom, with good tea and coffee facilities within the room. It was very appreciated that the bar stayed open for me to purchase a drink before bed, as I had arrived late into the evening....

• Standard Twin Room

Beds were far too soft. The continental breakfast was dreadful and massively over-priced. It didnt even come with butter for the bread rolls! The coffee was abysmal.

Staff were very friendly and accommodating

• Standard Single Room

The shower in the bathroom was appalling in every way from hot/ cold water without warning from ‘mixer taps’ .. !!!...to the weak flow ..to the dreadful curtain that stick to a wet body ...to the squeaky moving cheap plastic bath ... not good enough just dreadful ... it’s inexpensive to provide an electric shower for goodness sake

I liked the staff the food the parking the location

• Standard Twin Room

Bathroom needed updating to be more efficient. Problem reported to reception when leaving.

Staff all very friendly, very accommodating and appeared to be happy . Requested quiet room and it was so thank you.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Some rooms and areas need a little up dating. However, it is clean and a lovely old building with character.

I've spent a considerable amount of time in The Royal as my son lives nearby and use it for visits. Staff are always very pleasant, rooms are comfortable and a nice bar and lounge. I've always enjoyed my stays and will continue to do so.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Bathroom terrible very old fashioned, shower curtain smelt dreadful like wee hotel changed it but then next one still smelt,

Bed very comfortable nice hotel shame about the bathroom

Noise insulation was not good especially with the macerator toilet in the rooms. I was woken at 6.15am by a guest in another room. The lead on the television was loose and therefore I could only get BBC1 and BBC2 on the television

Breakfast was excellent and I loved freshly cooked fried eggs. The car park was good and easy to use.

I found the bed too soft, but we were given a different room with single beds. The new room was also larger.

Carvery on Sunday evening was excellent Rooms were very elegant

Toilet didn't flush. Couldn't put plug in sink. Disappointed as friends were also staying for a wedding nearby and they had an updated bathroom, ours was extremely dated and after travelling 3 and a half hours and finding your hotel room toilet doesn't work didn't make for a great start.

Staff helpful when we raised problems.

The hotel was probably a nice place to stay 30 years ago, where it still is at the moment. Extremely dated decor, customer service and food at a premium rate. It was way too expensive for what it was. We wouldnt stay there again.

Bed was comfy. The only good thing I can think about.

There was nothing to dislike

The room was clean and warm staff was helpful very polite food was brill location was near to all u wanted we had a fantastic time many thanks

Breakfast was expensive and finished early as we on holiday we were not getting up in time for 9.30am

The family room was spacious and the bed and pillows were Devine best night sleep we all have had in months. Weather was poor but the room kept us very warm on cold mornings and nights.

Bed was very soft and sagged in the middle. Was very small. It was so hot in the room, it was unbearable, like a sauna. I switched the night storage heater off and opened the window but was still tropical...in March!!

staff very polite and helpful. Very clean

• Standard Twin Room

I like to have the window open, but it rattled in the wind, and we had to put folded paper in the cracks! The road outside, which you have to cross to get to the car park, is busy, and dangerous - visibility is poor, as the cars come down and round a bend, under the railway bridge. They need a zebra crossing!

The room was spacious, the beds comfortable.

• Standard Twin Room

Extremely comfortable with good old fashioned manner in dealing with customers A great location which also gives access to the North Devon are we shall return for further 2/3breaks well done to all staff

The view from my room which was at the rear of the hotel was basically a wall, but for the short time I was there this didn't really matter.

Breakfast was brilliant and freshly prepared with a wide choice of food. The room was warm and comfortable.

• Standard Twin Room

The shower was little awkward to use it was a shower over the bath.

We didn't have breakfast.room only. The room was very spacious and I had the best night sleep bed was really comfortable

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Due to staff not having read our request for a twin room at the time of booking, we experienced a long delay before being able to access a room re-arranged in this way.

Décor was tasteful and extremely well-maintained. Bed was very comfortable Excellent breakfast Would stay again.

• Standard Twin Room

Terrible mattress , dirty warm air blower full of fluff in bathroom with fused junction box near water basin . Unfinished seal on tile wall . Bath not packed out properly so creaked when showering . Main complaint was tiny beds and disgustingly uncomfortable mattress . No pac test certificate present in electrical heater bathroom

Very nice entrance and bar decor

• Standard Single Room

Parking was a bit tricky - although i was there for new year so this might not be representative. Also, the tea/coffee facilities in room were a little ungenerous - a small box with enough for a cup of tea and a coffee, but further milk and sundries had to be purchased. For a premium hotel I thought this was below par.

Friendly and attentive staff. Comfortable and clean room. Food was excellent and bar well stocked. Good location for exploring local area. Good quality furnishings and evidence of attention to detail. Generally really very good, and I'd definitely stay again.

• Standard Twin Room

Room had no fridge or safe. Room over Kitchen and with kitchen fan noice and smell of fried food in the morning from about 7.00am it was like sleeping outside McDonalds. I hate McDonalds. Also in evening staff putting out bottles etc. after service. Breakfast not worth money. Toast and coffee turned up after we had finished our Breakfast.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Our room was on the corner of the hotel adjacent to a roundabout and the traffic noise was very loud and disturbed our sleep

Spacious and comfortable room. Pleasant and helpful staff. Close parking. Cosy, well decorated bar and great breakfast

• Standard Twin Room

WiFi was patchy £12.50 for breakfast is quite expensive. Evening menu wasn't ready when we wished to order.

Room was spacious and comfortable. Decor was homely and warm. Staff were courteous and friendly. Hotel had great character. Bar menu was good and the food when arrived was delicious.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2017

They had a party or wedding reception the night we stayed. We first heard the music, on quite a low volume, at about 9pm. But I was woken up by the music at about 10pm, which was so loud it was like standing outside the door of the room it was in. I could hear every word of every song. I could feel the floor vibrating through the bed! We were not warned by the staff when we checked in earlier that day, and were offered nothing (such as ear plugs) to help with the noise. The walls are also quite thin, so could hear nearby rooms' TVs anyway, but because of the noise everyone turned them up so I was getting Who Wants to be a Millionaire on top of the music. At about 10:45pm I rang reception to ask how long the music would go on for, and was told it would continue to 1am. I was also asked "Is it disturbing you?" Which seemed like a pretty pointless question because I wouldn't have rung to ask if it wasn't! And it wasn't until I explained that I had to be up early the next day that she said she would see about asking the manager if they would consider turning the music down. Can't say I noticed a difference until maybe 11:30pm, but even then the floor was still vibrating with the volume of the music. The music eventually stopped around 12am, so better than expected, but this was a weeknight and we had to be up early the next day. Nothing was said by the staff when we checked out the next day and we were not offered compensation etc, or even an apology. While the price was low I would have been much happier paying a little more for a quiet night! Definitely will not be staying there again!

Hotel is in a good location, a short walk into Bideford, and there are two car parks. One is significantly closer, so of course fills up fast. Small issue in that you need a token to get out of the car park so if you drive in and find there are no spaces you have to run across to reception to get out again. Some spaces are quite small.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Our room not being made up on our arrival . (After booking in, paying - issued key then going uo to room to find...............Bed still as previous occupant left it, dirty cups and bin full of rubbish). Looking back at last few months reviews, a lot of other guest mention getting upgrades due to sub standard rooms, either the Hotel has a policy of trying to offload dodgy rooms first then giving you the rooms you really want once you've complained or they are indifferent to the customers concerns as the situation seems to continue. The manager was very sympathetic and professional and sorted it straight away.

we got an upgrade and bottle of wine due to our room not being made up on our arrival. We have relatives nearby so the location is good, it was Xmas party season so although had to use overflow car park sometimes - we always got a space.

The road noise in our bedroom

The room was very comfortable but very very noisy as it was on the main road, ground floor level, so sleep was not too great. However I would stay there again but ask for a quiet room and definitely not room 1 or 2. Food was expensive as is always the case with hotels but lots of restaurants etc close at hand.

The room was not what we expected,quite dated not the sort of rooms advertised anywhere when booking. The roof was sloped making it difficult for my partner who is 6ft 5 to move around in the bedroom and couldn't take a shower. We found dust in the light shades. Hairs in the cupboard and pubic hairs on the sink and bath mat. This was not acceptable. The staff were lovely but the cleaners should have done a good job on the cleaning,they have let the hotel down.

The staff were super friendly.

• Standard Single Room

As a woman on her own I felt I'd been put in a room that didn't make me feel safe, no deadlock, ground floor, next to the gents loos.the room itself was tiny, the heater was on and off all night and the towel rail didn't work. The reception staff were lovely and I was only there for one night so didn't bother saying anything

Reception staff really friendly

• Standard Twin Room

Just a little thing, more disabled parking spaces would be the icing on the cake!

From the moment we walked through the doors we knew we were going to be spoilt for the duration of our stay! The staff were all very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble.

• Standard Twin Room

Unfortunately, we had a problem with our power, something to do with the toilet flush. However, the staff were helpful and tried their best to have something delivered as an emergency. We had no light to the shower/toilet in the night, and when we returned from a trip, we still had no power. We decided to cut our stay by a night as we were leaving very early the next morning anyway. The receptionist was sympathetic, and we had the money reimbursed, which was appreciated. This couldn't have been foreseen.

We were upgraded upon arrival, and had the most pleasant room with brilliant views onto the bridge and river, helped by a sunny day. We were told that Bideford has its own climate, and it was true! The ceilings were high, and we had everything we needed in the room. There was a lift if we wanted it, and the décor was lovely. I would stay here again. Bideford is a lovely town.

A few pointers , knowone present to receive me on entering for breakfast, Asked chef for some ketchup never arrived . By the Time tne hostess arrived and ask if I wanted tea or toast Imaad finished Towels in rooms so small as to Ben ridiculous No bottle of water in the room Lot s of Refurb work going on show:have been advised before or fetter booking Check in girl was very slow and whilst polite i wouldn’t say was a go out ofher Way kind of person. Hotel ok needs facelift

Convineint

The hotel was generally dated and had a tired appearance. Some might call it character filled, I suppose, but a program of refurbishment is definitely overdue. The breakfast whilst plentiful in quantity, was a deep fried fat busting no - no! far too greasy.

Generally the hotel was clean with the staff friendly and efficient. When we put the electric heaters on the room became warm too.

• Standard Twin Room

View from room 37 is a brick wall and the smell of food from the kitchen below cooking was off putting. The breakfast staff were young kids and kept getting our order wrong. Forget mums coffee and her poached egg, ran out of glasses for fruit juice

Comfy bed

• Standard Twin Room

I had made a mistake and booked a twin rather than a double. The receptionist helpfully moved me to a double, asking if I minded having a shower rather than a bath - I didn't. However the room was very small - the bathroom uncomfortably so. Not terribly clean and all rather worn and scruffy, especially the bathroom. The bed was rock hard - I like a firm bed but this was a board. Breakfast was a mess - they kept getting our order wrong and when it finally came (25 mins) it was wrong again and really not very nice. I gave feedback to the receptionist as we checked out but she didn't appear to be interested. Very disappointing for £105!

It's close to the centre of Bideford and car parking is easy. The receptionist on arrival was helpful.

Nothing.See comments above

The bedrooms are comfortable,and the ensuite spacious and well equipped Staff always helpful.Having stayed at this hotel many times,we have nothing but praise for them.

• Standard Twin Room

Lumpy bed & very lumpy z-bed. Spent 40 minutes waiting for breakfast before giving up, but we were still charged for it. Don’t be fooled by the word ‘Royal’. The room photos are probably the owner’s house. Night storage heating, avocado bathroom suite, etc. It’s a tired hotel in need of refurbishment.

I didn’t like much of it at all, but the staff were nice.

• Standard Twin Room

Some of the room furniture was a bit dated. Our room was above the kitchen so the food smell was quite strong at dinner and breakfast time and clattering of plates etc was noisy

The bed was super comfy and parking was free and easy. The room was large.

• Standard Single Room

Personally I prefer a bath than a shower but not a real issue

Small but adequate room. Very clean. Comfortable bed. Staff very pleasant and attentive/helpful

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

The only thing we didn't like was we was locked out in the evening. We wasn't warned of this and the door entry bell was hidden and couldn't see it.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very tasty and freshly cooked.

Parking is over the road - not really a problem, you can stop outside the main doors to load and unload.

Friendly helpful staff - good breakfast and bar

• Standard Twin Room

Not a complaint, but would have liked a little heat on ihe lounge.

We have in the past stayed here and at has always suited our requirements, the staff were so kind and friendly, in particular a young lad named Morgan, he is a very kind and friendly face.

• Standard Single Room

I didn't really like the token system for exiting the cars park but could see the reason for it.

It was very good value for money and comfortable. Breakfast had plenty of variety.

I was given a tiny claustrophobic room to start with but the staff happily moved me. The first night there was a staff party and I couldn't sleep until the music stopped and the people in the room next door finally decided to stop shouting.

The rooms. Room 107 was not just a concern, but also unacceptable due to the excessive temperature in the room. It appeared that this room was situated directly over the kitchen which was the root cause of the excessive temperature in the room directly above. There was a cooler permanently installed in this room which tried to keep the temperature down. When in use the noise from the cooler was vary loud. So the choice was excessive temperatures or a noisy room.

The food was good, very nice.

The room was ok but not worth the price. Breakfast seemed disorganised and I didn't get fish as there was no one around. The room was noisy from traffic and beeping horns

clean and nice decor

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

Road noise. Could have done with secondary or double glazing to reduce traffic noise but having said that got used to it after a few days.

Large spacious bedroom. Very good cooked breakfast which was cooked as you liked it. Pleasant staff very accommodating.

• Standard Twin Room

Our standard room at the back (110) was noisy from the kitchens and other residents and had little natural light. The de luxe (!) we were moved to (205) was better, though in need of a 'makeover'.

The staff were helpful and friendly. The food was good especially the carvery though service was a little on the slow side especially during the afternoon for tea/coffee.

• Standard Twin Room

Everything for our stay of just one night was excellent. We were not on a holiday trip but there to attend a friend who had arranged a gathering in memory of her husband's death, which was a celebration of his life.

• Standard Twin Room

The bathroom (although spotlessly clean) was dated. The sink plug did not work and the shower, pressure and temperature, were very difficult to control. Also the bath was very creaky.

The staff where very helpful, but as we were staying in Bideford to attend a weekend family event we did not eat at the hotel. We did have breakfast on the Sunday, and this was good.

• Standard Twin Room

Poor service at check in and breakfast. Tiny, tiny room, tiny bathroom, shower temperature fluctuated wildly! Really not value for money. Definitely wouldn't stay again.

The bed was ok but a very narrow single. The window opened!

Standard double room is rather small with a tiny bathroom that needed attention (loo didn't flush well, shower cubicle clean but really needs a refurb). A mini fridge would have been very useful, but this is a 3-star not a 4-star hotel.

Very good restaurant with fine breakfast and evening meals. Parking gets full quite quickly so arrive early! Staff are courteous and very helpful.

Room

Room was dirty and in need of a lot of repair not worth 100 / night at all Very disappointed Bathroom tiles were filthy shower was poor and room bed was very uncomfortable

• Standard Single Room

I was in room 112 and the sash window isn't used to being opened. Don't really like showers over a bath and shower curtains need to be washed on a regular basis but really showers are what we need!

Very clean, staff looked smart and were very helpful.

Staff rude. Poor value for money. Low sleep quality. Breakfast expensive and poor quality. Manager response very poor. Wouldn't recommend. Try premier inn further up road

The car park and hairdryer

• Standard Twin Room

Our room was above the kitchen and the smell was terrible. Our room had an extractor machine, which did work, but was noisy.

Location. Staff. Quirky. Our friends had a great room.

• Standard Twin Room

Our room (107?) was above the kitchens and quite noisy. The windows were clearly not meant to be opened as there was a standalone air con machine. View was of a brick wall. Air con was noisy which meant we didn't sleep well. Wifi was down 'that day' and also 4 days prior to this.

The location was good to catch the ferry to Lundy - just over the bridge.

• Standard Single Room

toilet paper was a bit rough on the bottom, i like really soft paper

I didnt take the girls name who was at reception but she was the nicest, most polite and helpful person iver ever come acroos while staying at a hotel. please find her name from the date i stayed. i would stay again for service like that

Sorry as above. Didn't like my h at all.

We were white unhappy with the size of our room, the bathroom was old, smelly and a bit mouldy. The room smelt stale. Breakfast was average. Would not recommend. Also would have been cheaper to book direct with hotel. Poor value for money.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Standard Twin Room

My room was right on a main street, a good job I'm deaf. The room could do with an update.

The bed was comfortable, shower easy to use for disabled person. The restaurant was very good.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Creaky floorboards in corridor and road noise in room 218. A very expensive breakfast that was rather cool.

A very convenient location at the end of the old Bideford bridge

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room

There was a used soap and shower gel in the tray, hair on the bathroom floor. Only one window opened and there were cobwebs around the window. I asked to change rooms but this was not possible. Someone gave me a stick to open the windows. A very overpriced experience.

Rooms do require freshening up decor wise.

All staff very attentive and pleasant.also we didnt like room we were given as it was on corner next to main roads onto bridge into bideford.no double glazing as its listed building but duty manager was more than happy to move us to a quieter room at back of hotel.thankyou.also carvery was excellent and catered for my gluten intolerance without a problem.thankyou again.

• Standard Single Room

The service at breakfast was incredibly slow, and overall it was really expensive. £79 for a single room for one night is expensive in Brighton, but outrageous in Bideford!

We thought that the continental breakfast was very sparse lacking any cold meats, cheese etc. And whilst we had one hot roll more bread rolls would have been appropriate!

The service was good and the tea hot

The bathroom was small. Breakfast did not start early enough for our trip on the Lundy ferry.

We really enjoyed the comfortable lounge bar. Being in such close proximity to the old bridge was wonderful, as we could walk along the waterfront. The room was a good size and nicely decorated.

The room I was in (207) has a very (too) small bathroom. Also, the window doesn't open properly so it can get very warm during the night in summer.

Stay here often. Staff always friendly. Clean rooms if a little old. Good location for walking into town. Excellent breakfasts.