Reviews of Best Western The Royal Chase Hotel 3 stars

Royal Chase Roundabout, Shaftesbury, SP7 8DB, United Kingdom

#12 of 12 hotels in Shaftesbury

I would imagine some bedrooms could be hot and stuffy in summer, but there is little you can do about that in an historic building. Not a problem this time.

We were a bit later arriving than we expected, but were served a hot meal at 3.00pm. Our breakfast guest was made welcome.

• Standard Twin Room

The rooms are outdated, the shower trickled and the room is not good value for money, you can pay £135 at a much nicer hotel in shaftesbury which includes breakfast

There was a hair dryer and coffee etc.

Room was old fashioned and tired shower was rubbish and dangerous no slip mat and nothing to hold onto getting in and out of shower/ bath plus when you flush toilet you get scalded in the shower - altogether too pricey for what you get.

Very pleasant and helpful staff, clean, excellent breakfast nice leisure facilities, comfy bed

• Standard Twin Room

The hotel itself was fine however, there is no lift to the upper floor where most of the rooms are. Therefore there is no disabled access to the upper floor. This should be made clear through the booking process. Having said that, this hotel does have a few family rooms on the lower floor which would be ideal for disabled users.

The breakfast choice on offer was exceptional. The sauna and spa were perfect for relaxing after a long day out.

• Standard Single Room

1. My booking via Booking.com was not on the hotel system even though I had a confirmation number. 2. Arrived at my room after check-in only to find that it was already occupied!

Bed very comfortable, bathroom very clean and modern.

• Executive King Room

No air conditioning Couldn't turn off the bathroom radiator and the extractor fan didn't work.

Really friendly staff. Big room and pool/sauna

• Standard Single Room

I didn't get shown to my room. I had someone try coming into my room on x2 occasions. The price of the food is too expensive for what they provide. The rooms were dusty & cold when arriving. I was only provided with 1 towel for two night stay.

A better shower head maybe.

This was an excellent stay. It exceeded all our expectations. All the staff were so friendly - nothing was too much trouble for them. The food was excellent and the room was perfect. Comfortable bed, clean and spacious room.

• Standard Twin Room

Lack of staff on duty, had to knock on staff doors repeatedly for service at the bar, even though it was busy. Room was freezing cold, radiator didn’t work at all. Poor shower, water was hot but minimal flow.

Friendly staff. Plenty of good parking.

• Standard Twin Room

Only the extremely noisy radiator in the bedroom which didn’t lessen when it was turned down so the room at night was very warm.

My daughter and I were staying overnight as she was moving the next day. The room was large and comfortable, dinner in the bar was excellent and the breakfast was the hottest I have had anywhere. The staff were helpful and pleasant. The pool water was a good temperate and an added bonus.

• Standard Single Room

The noise insulation in the room was terrible. It felt as if I was in the same room as many of the other guests.

Very friendly helpful staff. The reception staff really went out of their way to be accommodating and helpful

Could do with a few more spa facilities eg, steam room and a gym!! Have stayed in other Best Western which have these things and it made the stay more relaxing!

Super comfy, large bed. Food was amazing.

• Superior King Room

I found the pillows a little uncomfortable. I don’t sleep well on synthetic materials and I found the room very hot at night, even after turning the heating down! Also the complimentary tea and coffee could have been better. I drink green or herbal teas and the ginger and lemon tea I made for myself in the room had sweetener added.

The beds were very comfortable and both the evening meal and breakfast were good. The hotel is situated in a very accessible position in Shaftesbury and parking at the facility is spacious.

• Standard Twin Room

I hope there was nobody below me as the floor boards were the most squeaky I have come across. If he is reading this which I hope he is on the 24th January 2018 the person in room 19 who had his TV on what seemed like full volume until 1:30AM perhaps should realise that doing this is rude, selfish and arrogant. If he is hearing impaired then ok to a point but the point still stands, think about fellow guests. On that note perhaps the staff should do a patrol every now and then and knock on doors of such people.

The food was good quality and value. A lovely old building with some history. Location for the job I was on was perfect.

• Executive King Room

I was not particularly impressed by the choice of toiletry products, and resorted to my own, but the room and bathroom more than made up for what was a relatively minor issue, as I always travel prepared

A lovely spacious and very comfortable room with 2 chairs (hoorah!), a very comfy bed, fabulous shower / bathroom; love the building, it has real character. The pool was a good size and perfect for a relaxing dip. Also a sauna was available for those who like to be poached! The breakfast was not the biggest selection I have seen, but was more than adequate and very tasty.

• Standard Twin Room

There was nothing that could have been improved. It really was excellent.

The ability to control the heat in the room was brilliant. The food was excellent, especially the tempura battered prawns - best I have ever had. The staff were most helpful and caring of single lady traveller.

• Executive King Room

Great customer service before and during stay, very helpful. Good size family room located right next to pool....lovely added extra of on site pool to use. Good selection for breakfast. Nice hotel

Bathroom was a bit tired and in need of some tlc, it was clean, though and the shower was fantastic, and although I personally don't like shower curtains, it was fine.

Room was a very good size; bed was very comfy; Other facilities (pool / sauna) were available to use, but I didn't get the opportunity. Location was perfect for my purposes; staff were helpful and pleasant. I think the building is great as it has a 'real' history unlike some I've stayed in. I will stay here again as I felt it was good value. (Have tried the bar / pool / meals since and found them to be very good). Also, for once, it had a soft chair in the room that was comfortable and usable to watch tv / read, where most hotels I've experienced don't get that credit!

The sloping floor of the bathroom.

That my sister and I were able to order a single (rump) steak to share between the two of us, rather than wasting two half-steaks!

A swimming costume wringer would be very useful so that people do not have to take home wet costume/trunks. I had to wait a long time for my breakfast order to be taken.

Room 12 was on the small side, which was fine as I was the only person in the double room.

• Executive King Room

No dislikes except wasn't keen on the shower gel in the standard room! (V minor point tho)

Nice spacious and bright rooms. Nice ambience and comfortable bed. Nice pool and friendly helpful staff. Felt it was good value.

Bathroom cold ch radiator poor main room electric radiator effective but a trip hazard. Breakfast poor didn’t listen to order . No butter , cooked in grease ?

Our room was quiet a walk from reception,as I have a bad hip found it rather a struggle with stairs as well.!..

Comfy bed,very friendly staff, real fire ,large rooms, I love the history,of the building,and it has a very warm welcoming feel.

I’ve already discussed the first issue with the hotel. There were not enough or competent staff for breakfast on Sunday - we waited 15 mins to order and our cooked order had not arrived after 30 mins and had to leave in time for other commitments. However, the hotel did refund breakfast cost. Being near Christmas, there were functions taking place, but the hotel also needs to ensure there are enough staff to cater in a timely manner for guests wishing to dine. The radiator was not working in my room - at least the hotel had already provided a heater. I stated at this hotel in April and was very happy - not so much this time.

Friendly reception staff, nice large room, good en suite.

I left an item in the room by mistake, I phoned immediately. Reception took my number and said she would check. She didn't bother to ring me back. Very poor....

Location was ideal...

• Executive King Room

Most comfortable bed we've ever slept in ! Friendly & efficient staff Fantastic chips !! Lovely atmosphere - staff & guests all seemed to be happy to be there

I hit a time when there's a Zumba class going on under my room but only for a while, soon stopped vibrating to the beat. Otherwise great

comfortable room, friendly staff, nice food

The bar staff always seem under pressure and short staffed - Also it would be great if reception could be manned before 7am

Clean warm room with a good mattress

Check out was dreadful, totally ignored by staff for 15 minutes whilst they kept answering phones then was very abrupt to me whilst arguing with another customer, would not recommend despite rest of stay being good

• Executive King Room

Seriously unimpressed by furniture moving that went on until 00:30 under my room and resumed at 07:00. Why pick and carry when you can drag and drop!!! Consequence was little sleep prior to a highly focused meeting followed by a tricky drive round the M25.

Comfortable bed, good food, friendly and cheerful staff

• Superior King Room

Reception area was through a large hatch,a bit impersonal. Although the menu was very ordinary, The food was well cooked except the braised beef I had on the first night was so tough I couldn't get a knife into it. Having said that I was not charged for it with no fuss whatsoever.

The real fire in the bar.comfy big bed newly returned room and bathroom. The staff were all lovely.

• Standard Twin Room

There were no towels in the room but as I took my own towel and toiletries there was no need for me to chase the staff to provide any.

The whole visit and stay at the hotel was a super experience with great facilities and staff were of great assistance on all aspects requested.

A lift would be lovely when managing luggage!

The room was basic but very clean and comfortable. The bath filled in no time and there was lashings of very hot water. There was building work going on along the hall from my room which it would have been nice to have been informed about as there were dustsheets that I had to pick my way over. There was no lift (but Holly on reception did offer to help with my case), so guests must be prepared to be able to manage a flight of stairs. The evening meal in the restaurant was very good indeed but my glass of red wine tasted as if the bottle had been open possibly a bit too long; it's a hazard of course when buying red wine by the glass. It took us 10mins to walk briskly into town - so an ideal distance.

The bathroom, although clean, could have done with an update. Shower curtains are so difficult to clean and aren't fun while showering, too. Parking was a tight squeeze, lots of cars in the parking ground.

Our room was not the most modern room or decor but it was clean. The bed was very comfortable. I also enjoyed the biscuits and tea in the room. The pool was nice too. It was easy to find.

Staff numbers are too low. Both on arrival and departure staff had to be summoned from the kitchen area to complete checkin/out. No-one available at the hotel bar before evening dinner. Delays in service and meal delivery.

• Standard Single Room

Shower a bit underpressure Milk in coffee making facilities tasted odd (but not "off"), bought my own from Morrison's!

Nice warm clean room, staff really friendly, breakfast cooked well and staff thoughtfully cooked in separate pan as I have egg allergy guest loung with newspaper

• Standard Twin Room

Had to wait a little while for night porter to open the front door which wasn't an issue for me as friends dropped me off and waited but wouldn't have liked if on my own. My door didn't shut on its own and I hadn't realised it wasn't closed, it needed good shove

Very friendly staff, room clean and comfortable. Swimming pool was clean. There is no lift so not suitable for people with limited mobility.

• Standard Twin Room

They seem to have problems in the kitchen. We had to wait 50 minutes to order (and we managed just because I caught their attention). The hold up was due to a table of 12 people that confused the chef.

The room was very comfortable and clean. The staff was very helpful : Sam at the reception, Sue the waitress in the restaurant and Giulia at breakfast time. Very pleasant people.

• Standard Twin Room

The shower didn't stay at the same temperature but when I reported it next morning I was immediately offered another room.

Great staff, comfortable bed, clean and food was delicious.

• Standard Twin Room

Had to ask for a shower mat - and no grab handrails in the large shower.

This was the best Best Western Hotel we have stayed in. Loaned us a blanket when Duvet proved to be too warm!!

• Standard Twin Room

I had a rash/spotty/bite marks on chest which cleared in a few days after taking piriton.

The staff were help full and the hotel facilities and location were good. We enjoyed our evening meal.

• Standard Twin Room

Meals excellent. Room Poor - too small and needed updating, decorating. Bathroom with paint peeled off. Corridors in need of updating - looked like a prison.

Wifi took an age to connect. Room 45 - the loo didn't flush properly and the shower head leaked but this did not hamper our enjoyment.

Staff very attentive.

• Standard Twin Room

The cost for the room was a bit steep £108. Bedroom decor a bit dated and scruffy.. dado rail and regency stripes. The drive is patched up and potholey. Doesn't give a very good impression.

The staff(all women) were very nice people friendly and helpful. The receptionist made sure housekeeping did the room as we needed to get in early. It was nice to have waitress service for breakfast, serving freshly cooked food. It was worth the extra cost.

• Standard Twin Room

However, on top of the wardrobe in my room was really dusty. Not only that but I was wiping out the cup with a towel before I used it and the white towel was an odd grey colour. Additionally you had to pay extra for dinner and breakfast! For example, my room for one night was £105 so having to pay over £20 for both dinner and breakfast was too much in my opinion. I don't think it was good value for money.

It was good because there was a wedding going on that weekend, so it was easy to get to. Also there was a Pizza Hut and other places to eat near by. Also because we were there early and the room was ready too, we were allowed to use the room a bit earlier. The staff were really really accommodating, and super friendly. Also the biscuits that they leave in the room was rather tasty!

• Executive King Room

Few more places to sit in the pool room. Sometimes it is nice to just relax by the pool and read and not necessarily be swimming.

Fantastic bed in the Executive room. Brilliant location as near a roundabout so you can go in any direction very easily. Staff friendly and food good. Would definitely stay there again if in the Shaftesbury area.

The room I was in was really dated. Whilst my friends room next door was much more modern. Even though I paid more for my room. It definitely needs an update and it was quite expensive. But overall it was fine

The staff were nice and it was all clean.

• Executive King Room

Wasn't happy that the sauna was out of order as we were all looking forward to it. However had a lovely splash about in the pool.

I loved that their was nutella for my toast. The full english was delicious. The beds were massive and so comfy.

Not being told about the wedding, could have been a disaster due to tiredness

Staff were helpful as there was a wedding on , very loud, drug smoking people. Staff found us a quiet room thankfully.

• Superior King Room

Somebody Checked out late form my room therefore no chance of an early check in which they would have known about me enquiring about for at least a couple of months. I know it happens, it just seemed to be a bit lax on it, i can imagine if i hadnt checked out until later id have had the door knocker going quite fast.

I was looking forward to salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast and ordered it, then the waitress had to come back to say the chef had just realised there was no salmon left. even so the mushroom and scrambled egg I had was lovely.

I ordered a meal which wasn't available, but the chef gave me an alternative which was hot and very enjoyable. I was in the same room as the one I stayed previously and noticed how much brighter it was, the room has been refurbished to a high standard, larger TV, lovely bathroom and very comfy bed

• Standard Twin Room

A second chair in the room would have been useful, the carpet was not properly cleaned towels had to be changed as supposedly clean ones were not. Water placed in the rooms to use in kettles would have been better. we bought our own.

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Room airy and fairly comfortable.

Staff never smiled, didn't offer me a towel when I asked for the pool access code ( none were available poolside) and charged me £110 room rate when the room had been sold to me for £76.50.

Good location close to town centre, enjoyed pool. Bedroom comfortable and bathroom clean. Didn't eat in the hotel at all.

The hotel itself was outdated in terms of its decor and facilities. The room was extremely hot and stuffy (particularly with it being good weather that weekend) and we needed the fan on all day and night to try and cool the room down along with the bedroom and bathroom windows. We thought the room would have air conditioning but unfortunately not! The shower in the bathroom was very poor with very little pressure so it took a while washing in the mornings. In all honesty I believe the hotel is rather overpriced for what it offered.

Staff were very pleasant and helpful. We were travelling over for a wedding and the hotel was conveniently situated and central to places.

• Standard Twin Room

We are both 88 yrs.old. The room door was too strongly sprung - hard to open particularly with luggage.

Bed,room,food better than expected. Shower good, staff very good, welcoming but no fuss.

We were given a very small pokey double room with yellow walls and orange cupboard. The room was very dated and slightly depressing. Movement within room for 2 people slightly awkward as the chair too wide to tuck into dressing table. Table lamp didn't work. Our Room was furthest room from reception even though hotel was not busy (full)! TV only had 6 channels that worked (all random), so unable to get BBC 1 or 2, or itv! Towel rail in ensuite was on all the time and during the recent heat wave made the room even warmer! We saw 2 dead files on window sill of main staircase when we arrived on Thursday, they were still there when we left on Saturday. We asked the night staff for a coffee(latte) at 11.15pm was told he didn't know how to work the machine, info book in room said 24 hr room service , assume food would need to be prearranged but thought beverages would be available. When requesting our key from reception from various staff throughout the day and evening felt that staff should have confirmed our name before handing it over.

Friendly receptionist, use of an indoor pool. This room had recently update the ensuite which was bright and clean.

• Standard Twin Room

This hotel is open to the public and the pool is used most of the time - including toddlers, swimming groups and children at the weekend. There are various clubs using the facility. The bar is open to the public and there was little communication between, what seemed, a few guests. It seemed more like a local facility than a hotel. We were told at the bar that they could only serve Merlot by the glass and any other wine had to be bought by the bottle as there was too much waste - they said they changed this after my complaint. Sometimes couldn't find anybody to serve and gave up. A lady in the bar eating wished us good luck to find a bar person. A good place to sleep and go out for the day. Parking was difficult some days due to the public use including a funeral and what I think were meetings? On a busy roundabout.

The room and bathroom were excellent. Lovely towels.

Water pressure in the shower was poor . Breakfast was a big underwhelming in choice but was hot on arrival.

Large comfortable room. Despite there being a wedding on we were not disturbed by it at all. Good sized bathroom and room service was very good.

• Standard Twin Room

Given hotel in south of country it has much warmer/hotter climate and desperately needs to attend to lack of either air con or ceiling fans in rooms? Even after provision of fan from reception impossible to sleep due to heat in rooms also no ventilation in bathroom but did have heated towel rail switched to on in 30c bedroom!! Hotel currently going through repairs etc so could this be looked at at the same time please?

The swimming pool was wonderfull if a little too warm given the hot weather. Restaurant food very good.

Because I liked it so much I tried to book a second night, however Room 3 was booked. I was offered another room and viewed it (room 12) and it was poor in comparison so I declined the offer. I will definitely stay again and I know that there is currently refurbishing taking place and I hope that all the rooms will be brought up to the same standard as Room 3.

Room 3 was superb. The evening meal outside (ordered from the bar) was fine quality and the Bar staff extremely helpful!

There was nothing I didn't like, apart, perhaps, the overpricing: that would not stop me going again as it was in a very convenient position for us.

It was an average size room with a good and well appointed bathroom. The breakfast was good value whereas the room, I felt, was overpriced.

• Standard Twin Room

Lack of later evening dining opportunities near by,

Property was convenient for my purposes. I liked the bed, mattress was just right for me. Bedroom was pleasant, but lacked homely touches such as pictures on the wall. table lamp switches were a bit inconvenient

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Nothing springs to mind.

The room was very comfortable. It gave the impression of being newly decorated and fitted out, as did the bathroom. All was pristine. The towels were very white and fluffy, bedding white and crisp. TV and coffee making in the room - no fridge. Bathroom had bath tub and shower over it with shower curtain. Good steam extraction.

Not enough staff, busy weekend, big group in, rest of guests had to wait, up to 30 mins for drinks, toast, service. Not fair on guests, not fair on overstretched staff either.

Like the location, easy stroll into Shaftesbury. Menu good, breakfast great, beds really comfy.

• Standard Twin Room

The room was very old fashioned.. and not in a good way! My bathroom was VERY dated and looked quite run down. The hotel generally appeared to be tired, run down and overdue for renovation. Not what I expected from Best Western, especially given the price paid!

Very clean. Very quiet.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Tired bar area and bedroom - but Best Western are reknowned for taking over properties like this and not updating for the UK market thinking the English are inferior to the US citizens in respect to Customer Services in the Hospitality Industry

Too short a stay for full review - did not have time for breakfast

• Standard Twin Room

Location isn't that fantastic as it is on a roundabout. However, once you are in the hotel there is no noise from traffic.

I stayed here with my mum, sister and a couple of friends and it exceeded expectations. The staff were very accommodating and friendly; the swimming pool was just the right size and the rooms were exceptional value for money. To add to this the food at the on-site restaurant was of a much higher standard that what any of us had anticipated; I would thoroughly recommend the tuna nicoise (it comes with a very-well cooked tuna steak). Our compliments to the chef! We used the hotel as a pit stop en route to Cardiff and had a marvellous time. Would (and have already) thoroughly recommend it to friends and family.

• Standard Twin Room

Nothing really for a 1 night stay - except no lift and steep stairs. Made carrying suitcases difficult - we are over 70!

Excellent ratings are based on value for money compared to so called budget hotels e.g. Premier Inn and Travelodge. The price of our room for a Saturday night was only a few pounds different from the budget hotels neither of which had a location in Shaftesbury which we needed. Far more facilites and food was excellent in their own restaurant. Dont bother with the budget hotels if Best Western can come up with this value for money. The budgets are not really budgets any more! David

• Executive King Room

The pillows were rock hard - but I didn't ask if there were alternatives!

Staff were efficient, service in the bar was good. Food was good, especially the scrambled egg and smoked salmon at breakfast.

Lack of breakfast staff with general 'overworked' attitude. One staff member clearly should not be in contact with guests. Lack of Fire Door awareness with one door pushed open onto carpet I suspect by housekeeping for air flow through hotel. Mentioning this to housekeeping staff and then reception was greeted by lackadaisical attitude. Our room needed upgrading as very 'tired' Hot water tap in sink only trickled out if we were lucky

Swimming pool and sauna. Private function room and staff which attended us. The dinners were excellent. Good location

The bar manager or head of bar lady not very friendly. It was a Saturday night so thought there would of been all the food from the bar menu but there was only half and she didn't seem fussed at all and was quite blunt!

We were upgraded which was brilliant. Swimming pool and sauna was excellent. Reception staff very friendly.

• Standard Twin Room

We were told on arrival that our booking was incorrect and that it had been incorrectly advertised on Booking.com. This was initially of a concern to us and then the manageress said that it was not our fault and that she would accept it. This was very kind of her but nevertheless I felt that we were being done some sort of favour and that people were putting themselves out for us. This should be addressed by the appropriate authority. If bookings are misrepresented by the selling platform then the owners of the business should rectify this so that customers do not even have to hear of the problem. The pictures of the pool in the evening were advertised lit with beautiful spotlights etc. This was something my Granddaughter and I were looking forward to experiencing. We were told that this was not the case and that the photos must have been from a one off special occasion. I would class this as false advertising. The food was not that great.

The staff were all so friendly and accommodating. Their friendly, warm and relaxed approach helped to make our stay enjoyable despite the initial 'wrong booking price' welcome, the food being very average and the pool not being beautifully lit in the evening as depicted in the advertising.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

• Executive King Room

Had a pint of beer in bar that was flat - just need to use a sparkler. Evening meal - ordered one dish as a starter - got something totally different and was told they'd run out of the one I'd ordered. Would have been nice to have been asked if I wanted something different. Main course was shown as shoulder of lamb - cut I had was definitely a leg steak - but overall food still tasted great.

Food was good especially breakfast

The smell of the corridors, polluted with cleaning chemicals and then a stench of my old primary school/old people's home. Breakfast was pretty basic.

The Beds were comfortable. Nice croissants.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Thank you to all the staff at the Royal Chase, Shaftsbury. From the moment we arrived, all the staff were friendly and helpful - over and above expectations. We had a group of family and friends and therefore had booked several rooms, each was comfortable, clean and warm. On the Friday night we had some things to organise and the night porter opened up one of the conference rooms to facilitate us rather than trying to fit into a bedroom. Breakfast was good quality and relaxed with a pleasing variety available. Car park was a bit rough under foot but there was no shortage of spaces. Overall the stay was good value for money and a thoroughly enjoyable experience.