Reviews of Saunton Sands Hotel 4 stars

Saunton, Braunton, EX33 1LQ, United Kingdom

#4 of 7 hotels in Braunton

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Thought it unnecessary to have to pay a supplement if we wanted anything different from the standard breakfast. It was only £5, but on top of paying £15.50 for the standard breakfast it seemed rather petty.

The view from our window overlooking the sea and beach and the peacefulness of the area

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Nothing could have been better.....we had wonderful weather and total R &R!

Beautiful room overlooking the sea and sand and country views beyond.....king size bed with lovely linen.....excellent breakfasts. A fabulous base for exploring N Devon. And safe available parking.

• Inland Single Room

On a lovely evening they stopped doing al fresco meals on the terrace. (not in the restaurant). Telling people they could eat on the veranda in the Beach Grill. This meant going down a steep hill.

• Small Inland Twin/Double

Bathroom needed a good clean, mould on tiles. Tea bags and milk were not replaced one day. Was disappointed the indoor swimming pool appeared to be closed.

Views were memorable. Easy access to several places of interest including Lundy island

• Small Inland Twin/Double

Everything. Staff were very friendly and really helpful from the concierge to the bar staff. Breakfast was great, location is amazing and the facilities are also great. We would definitely treat ourselves to stay here again.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

I had rang to inform I was with a wedding party and was assured my room would be ready for an early check in this was not the case and we had to change in a tiny toilet shower which wasn’t big enough to swing a cat. The bar man I guess was new but there’s no excuse for not training, he obviously had never made a gin and tonic as I had to ask for lemon, after he had poured most of the tonic into the gin. There seemed a distinct lack of staff in many areas particularly the restaurant and I expect a hotel of this calliber and price to have trained their bar staff. Decor could do with an upgrade I felt it was left in the 1980s it needs to be more luxurious.

The setting and view is amazing, beds very comfortable and can’t fault the food.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Pillows were nylon ones and didn't give enough, bed too soft. One side was softer and sunk in more than the other. Also couldn't get a restaurant booking for 8pm even though restaurant wasn't full at 8. Attention to detail with place settings not perfect. fish knife left for starter knife, and side plate moved to the right. wine list in stupid order. Why have the over priced wines at the front and the glasses at the back. im sure you wont sell any more expensive wine this way!

view, hotel, staff were very nice, room was also very nice.

Don't think it was great value for money. We didn't go for a deluxe room with the sea view as the price was a bit out of our range. So went with a standard double and I would say it definitely wasn't good value for money. If it wasn't for the location of the hotel you would never pay that much for a room like that. Average size, view of a roof out the window, very hot no air conditioning. Weak water pressure in shower. Also a bit disappointed that the gym and other facilities were under refurbishment so couldn't use.

Great location and views are stunning. Staff are very helpful and friendly. Rooms are very nice and comfortable. Nice food in restaurant. Lovely warm pool.

• Small Inland Twin/Double

Nothing! Other than making me wish I was richer so I could stay longer/go more often/afford a room with a sea view!

We love everything about this hotel, specifically; the incredible view from the terrace/bar/restaurant, amazing food (breakfast and dinner), friendly/helpful staff, beautiful Saunton Sands beach 2 mins walk down the hill, comfy beds, cosy rooms, beautiful 1920s style decor & charm, surfboard storage, super hour & a half (you can do it quicker if you go straight over the hill instead) coastal walk to Croyde with more amazing views!

• Inland Single Room

The size of the room, tv, bed and bathroom - I decided to treat myself and stay at the Saunton Sands hotel but for what I paid £130 I expected a lot more for my money. I’ve stayed in many hotels and for the price I left very disappointed I’d spent that amount of money. The manager kindly agreed to upgrade me to a sea view room (this was offered to me before I’d checked in). If he had not kindly agreed to upgrade me to a room with a sea view I would have been extremely disappointed and more than likely I would have complained or refused to stay.

View/location was amazing

• Small Double Room

Slow service in dining room. Inability to serve everyone at our table at the same time. (Some had almost finished before others were served.) Over priced meals. Not value for money. Bedrooms were cluttered.

Reception staff were helpful and friendly. Excellent location. Good views from lounge and dining room. Good breakfast.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

There was nothing specific to not like about the property. However, an area of improvement would have been a Jacuzzi near the pool area.

The room we occupied had fantastic views. It was a real show-stopper. I found the restaurant staff, particularly in the evening of our stay to be exceptionally friendly and well mannered. They seemed genuinely interested in us as people.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Foods was poor and expensive and lack of and veg Told spa was open when it was clearly closed the hotel could be lovely but I think it need some to take a good look at how’s it run and lay out

The hotel it self must be lovely in the summer were it’s Situated

• Inland Single Room

The spa/sauna was closed, which was a big factor for me staying.

The whole experience was great, views are amazing, room was lovely and breakfast was top notch.

• Inland Single Room

Surprised to find a small 3' bed in the single room, not very comfortable. A 4' bed would be more appropriate for adults. After dinner, asked for a baileys irish coffee to be told they had no cream to put on the top - 'in Devon'! Whilst presentation of dinner could not be faulted, portion control could be! Not quite what I'd expect from this standard of hotel.

Very comfortable hotel , never seem so many staff! Great views.

• Small Inland Twin/Double

The staff are friendly and dealt very well with a problem I had with breakfast. Although the swimming pool area is undergoing improvement the pool was lovely and warm and enjoyable. Altogether very enjoyable,if short, visit.

• Large Family Suite with Sea View

Sauna no water to drink, towels at the pool side not marked clearly enough

We have stayed here several times over the years and still love it. You come to this hotel for the views they are some of the best in Devon. There are areas of the hotel that look a little tired however the customer service is wonderful, its clean and the food is amazing. If you can have a sea view room its stunning.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

On checking out, one of the receptionists insisted that we pay for a glass of wine on our bill which we did not consume. Instead of taking our word for it she called the kitchen and then advised us that we did order it!!! I suspect that the kitchen staff had no idea and as this was the following morning they were probably not even on shift the previous night and certainly did not serve us!! I asked that they check with the waitress who served us but she was not on shift. In all my days staying in hotels I have never encountered such a pompous and rude attitude to a customer. The training of this member of staff clearly did not cover customer service as her attitude and manner was deplorable. The cost of the glass of wine was less than 1% of our bill so no common sense prevailed at all from the person to consider that perhaps we would have no problem paying for the wine if we did order and consume it!! I want others to know about our experience as hotels too often get away with this sort of attitude.

Food in restaurant was good, location excellent and in general, with one major exception, staff were very good.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Leak in the room, loud music thumping through the room from the bar, rowing machine not working. Heard nothing from hotel manager despite complaint.

Beautiful location.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

wonderful beach view from sea-facing rooms, spacious bar and dining areas, large beds in superior rooms, convenient access to beach and beach-side cafe, peaceful location

• Small Double Room

Attention to detail, and availability of staff during the breakfast service left a lot to be desired. Everything had to be requested, on the basis that we found someone to ask!!

• Small Double Room

Very disappointed we have wanted to stay at this hotel for years. There was teenagers running around staff uninterested that had 2 speeds slow and stop . Cleaning trolly filled up outside our room at 7.30am on a Sunday morning . No spoons at breakfast. It cost £720 for 3 nights and we feel we were robbed . Will never stay at Saunton Sands again .

Not a lot dated rooms needs lots of updating

• Inland Single Room

Totally overpriced, food was not very good, the restaurant had no atmosphere at all and very depressing. Unless you had a deluxe room everything extra. At the prices they charge really should be included. Also bathroom door rattled which was never mended and curtain was broken. We spent a lot of money on seaview room but then had to spend on extras to be fair room service had tray charge of £5.00 which they did remove. Will not be returning not our sort of hotel.

Very friendly staff and nothing was too much for them. The cleaning staff were incredible as was the doorman and upstairs staff.

• Small Double Room

Pillows were a touch hard. Only one armchair in bedroom for two people. Organization of service in the dining room needs improving

Excellent facilities - indoor pool etc Impressive public rooms A warm welcome Food very good

• Small Double Room

Noisy hot uncomfortable room , cleanliness of restaurant and poor standard of food .

Location of hotel , beautiful views from restaurant etc , style of hotel.

• Inland Single Room

Absolutely breathtaking location - the view from the terrace is worth the hotel cost let alone the hotel being fabulous too with great food and friendly helpful staff. Couldn't fault it. They even had undercover parking for my motorbike. Highly recommended and I will be returning.

• Small Double Room

Room was probably the worst I have ever stayed in ! ( and I have over 25 years of experience and stayed in a lot of rooms in north Devon Considering the cost of the break ,value for money was poor.

Food was excellent

• Small Double Room

We arrived at 5 PM after traffic and after searching, we noticed that the best restaurant around was the hotel's. After trying to have our late lunch/dinner at the restaurant, the staff told us in quote: "The restaurant has a dress code and unfortunately we will not be able to host you" after they looked at my fiance, they continued "and also we do not serve Chinese" which was too racist. I am utterly disappointed and angry after this discrimination and racist act. We are both doctors and highly respected in the society and we had never been disrespected like this. First of all my fiance is not Chinese and putting assumptions based on her appearance extremely hurt her feelings and mine. Moreover, it was not mentioned anywhere on Booking.com about the dress code of the restaurant and because it was just a one night stay at this hotel, we simply didn't bring any cloths with us. After mentioning this to the reception, they tried to book us as the first customer for the dinner, however, we decided to drive 25 miles away and have our dinner somewhere that would appreciate their customers. For £240 per night, the room was very small and the bed was not as comfortable as you would expect for such a price. The breakfast was simply English breakfast and there's no complain about it, but it wasn't the best breakfast I had in a 4 star hotel. I can name 10 other places that had much higher variety of food with much higher quality. The indoor swimming pool was small and jammed with the hotel guests with no room to move. The room did not have any climate control and during the night it became slightly cold. All in all, I am very disappointed and not satisfied with the overall experience. If I find a way to report the racist act against my fiance, I would definitely go to that route as this is unacceptable.

The location of the hotel was nice and it was close to the beach.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The food at the beachside grill didn't match up to the hotel standard

Fabulous views over Saunton sands and staff were very attentive even to the point of noticing that my pint of Lager had gone flat and bringing over a replacement without any prompting

• Small Double Room

Our room was very hot, only had a fan to cool it down which was noisy whilst trying to sleep. Our room also had 2 huge kitchen extractor fans outside which were very noisy. They didn't get switched off until 11pm and started up again at 6.30am. There was also mould behind our bath taps!

Staff were great, friendly and approachable. Breakfast was outstanding.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Vastly overrated hotel . Rooms too small. Our room had been redecorated in modern 'greys' but left with poor quality out dated furniture . Soft edge beds so easy to decamp onto the floor in the middle of the night . Wine waiter needed some training as he twice placed my wine glass to the left of my plate . Do they teach the mantra ' Dry to the left , wet to the right ' ?

The view from our rooms was fantastic across the sandy beach . Fascinating just watching the tide roll in & surfers enjoying themselves . The restaurant was a good experience . All staff tried well to make our stay very pleasant

• Small Double Room

Probably reflects booking one of the last rooms in the hotel, -view over back of a hotel roof, poor room decor, although bathroom had been revamped, and bathroom wasn't all clean sadly. Not what expected from the good rooms on the pictures!

View from hotel balcony and terrace of the beach is great. Kind and friendly doormen

A bigger bathroom

Really comfortable beds. Staff were charming and efficient We felt that nothing was too much trouble We were more than guests ,all staff went the extra yar d to make sure that we were happy and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Small Double Room

Room was small, without any air conditioning and was over part of the hotel where we seemed to get cooking fumes and noise from kitchen fans ?

Excellent location and good size of hotel with facilities to suit.

• Small Inland Twin/Double

Wedding meant rather noisy in room. the buffet looked rather greasy so went for a poached egg took a long time others had finished before arrived and rather hard so think it hadnt been picked up to serve immediately

location and view from terrace

• Small Inland Twin/Double

Could have done with a little bit more of an interesting menu in the expensive restaurant?The same menu was in the terrace bar but cheaper?

Worth spending the extra to get a balcony room with sea view!

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The lady who was in charge at breakfast was a littlr grumpy with us when I said that we had not been asked if we wanted any tea and toast upon arrival and everyone else was.

The room was very comfortable and great sea view

Our evening meal in the restaurant was a little disappointing. The room was somewhat lacking in atmosphere i.e. it was too brightly lit when it became dark outside as was the bar area/ lounge. The music being played in the restaurant was not really suitable for that environment. It was like quietly listening to a local radio station.

Hotel's location overlooking the sea was fantastic. Staff were friendly and helpful. Lovely back, neck and shoulders massage by a friendly beauty therapist at the hotel's beauty salon. Bedrooms were very comfortable. The hotel is very nice!

• Small Double Room

Rooms are dated, smelt smokey, numerous things didn't work. What you pay for is the location not the quality of the room. Knowing what we know know would opt to stay cheaper else where, for a short drive to the beach.

Friendly well presented staff, who gave a warm greeting. Location is fantastic as you're right on the beach.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

• Small Double Room

Bear in mind that this is a 4 Star hotel. Grotty view from our room. Sea view not booked but did not expect to have a retaining wall within 4 or 5 feet and a view of cars at eye level. (The room we had (102) - and others on that side of the corridor - should carry a specific warning about the fact that some people might not like the view from the room) On this basis I will not be booking again with booking.com. Problem with a sticking pop-up plug; took two phone calls to reception to diagnose but not cure the problem. Bathroom suite mismatched and tired. Roomwise we clearly drew the shortest of short straws! Children running noisily up and down the corridor at 7 am - presumably the cost of staying in a hotel which boasts about being 'family friendly'!

The view from the hotel is magnificent and the public areas are very attractive. Staff good overall.

Couldn't stay longer.

Upgraded room as it was for my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary it was wonderful. They had always wanted to stay there when first married it was their dream hotel and it did not disappoint

• Inland Single Room

Hot plates but meat lukewarm Friday and Saturday Slow service for breakfast to get cup of tea !

Overall very good Reception staff excellent

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

• Small Double Room

Having paid a top price for this room It was disappointing to have to wait until 16.40 to obtain access. The shower head could not be secured in any position as the locking mechanism was broken making it very difficult to have a shower

An Excellent hotel with great staff

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

• Inland Twin/Double Room

The menu was restricted and didn't change while we were there. One of us is gluten free and that was a difficulty all the time! Especially at breakfast. The bedroom badly needed new beds and updating generally.

We liked the location and the lounge area. The staff were very attentive.

• Inland Single Room

The only negative; there was a wedding on and the car park was full so finding a parking space was a pain - although the wonderful doorman was extremely helpful

An amazing experience - such a beautiful hotel with magnificent views, helpful and friendly staff - not cheap but worth every penny!

Could not fault anything

The location, food, staff & service were excellent. Amenities at hotel were great really enjoyed Sauna & swimming pool. Must book a room with a sea view next time. Views are amazing.

• Single Room with Sea View

My stay wasn't long enough

Pleasant friendly, helpful staff, lovely comfortable rooms, seaview rooms are an absolute must the views are amazing. The lovely food and the views to enjoy from the restaurant and Terrace lounges.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

the breakfast waiting staff hanging around your table all the time looking for dishes to take away- it became annoying - Bar manager on Sunday Morning came across as smug and patronizing

bed was comfy breakfast was nice staff lovely

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

We did not like the buffet style breakfast as much as table service as in Sidmouth Brend Hotels. The stacked plates were cold, in turn making the cooked food cold.

Ambience of the dining room

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Small Inland Twin/Double

I paid a hefty price for a small room with a view of car park and back passage where staff take fag break..Disappointing. Asked for twin beds, got a double so had to help make up twins! Also very hot and stuffy. Dinner was sadly very average, but i think that is because of the massive xmas party going on.. Toiletries in bathroom not very good quality... :-(

Wonderful location on the beach, amazing views, lovely restaurant/terrace area. Staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. Huge xmas party going on which was extremely good fun and well organized - most entertaining...Bonus! Pool is a lovely temperature, and the sauna was delicious after a very late night!

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

We couldn't get a hot meal after 9pm. The house keeping room was opposite our room.

The room was spacious and newly refurbished. We had a large balcony with spectacular sea views.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• Inland Single Room

dinner menu ~ 1st morning wasn't told of the buffet breakfast ~ I thought the cleaners would have handed in my mobile phone charger left in the wall socket behind the bedside table

very nice cocktail made specially for me

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The bathroom was a good size but the plumbing needs looking at as it was making a lot of noise and the shower controls did not work properly There also needs to be more shelf space to put the toilertries

Everything was first class Our room had a sea view and the view was wonderful

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

We were never told that if you don't book the Dinner when you book the hotel,for most meals you pay almost double More than people that have.we have been to many Hotels . We have never ever heard of this before. Should be made clear yours and there website when booking .

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Rigid restaurant arrangements. Set price for three courses regardless of customer preference. Poor food, obviously precooked and not cooked to order.

Location and ambience.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Sea View

At nearly £300 a night I would have thought an evening meal would have been included - going by previous experience in very similar hotels. Otherwise see our rating above.

• Small Double Room

The first night the room near the generator was not good. We had very little sleep. Suggest that you either move the generator or silence much better that it is at present. As a gesture you should consider offering a complimentary night as compensation ? We would be happy to return and bring family

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

The only thing that may be better is the dept of the outdoor swimming pool, only 1.1 mtrs. However, at that depth is fairly safe.

The position and view is fabulous . The breakfast was very good. The staff were attentive. Access to Saunton sands beach was easy.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Inland Single Room

The reception were very helpful trying to find a charger for my phone as I left mine at home. The bar staff were very good and so sorry my guest and I kept him up so late .

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Inland Single Room

Maintenance of the room was poor and shabby. Cleaniness of room poor, dried blood stain on bed throw, mould around bath and unvacuumed carpet.

Location by Saunton Sands

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

• Large Family Suite with Sea View

The vegetarian menu there's not much of a selection or an effort to produce something less ordinary.

The view from the room. A lovely spacious group room. The fabulous outdoor pool with a view.

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

• Small Inland Twin/Double

Waiting times between courses was Long But much better when the matter was raised. Well. Done

1. Staff where good at handling us With special needs. The hotel gives a good atmosphere for it's guests

• Reviewed: 28 August 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Rooms very small, uncomfortable mattress, bar prices too expensive, balcony dirty.

Spectacular views, very friendly helpful staff, good food, good facilities, excellent entertainment for children, nice restaurant lounges, bar and terrace.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Small Double Room

extractor fan outside my bedroom window keeping me awake all night. The staff were very good if you were a regular family returning every year. For new customers we seemed to be invisible to getting drinks and ordering food!!

the location and views

• Reviewed: 25 August 2016

• Small Inland Twin/Double

We stayed at this hotel with a last minute offer from booking.com and have to say that the room was absolutely not worth the price tag for a luxurious stay of 260 £ per night. The room was very basic, smelly, and with a view on the parking lot - absolutely not what was advertised on booking.com. When talking to the staff they were understandable but the conclusion of the conversation was that getting a "second class room" is the risk of last minute booking. This obviously has nothing to do with hospitability and professionalism, and we are highly disappointed with our stay at the Saunton Sands.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

Having one of our children to far away from our room , plus the en suite of the first room felt like the toilet was an after thought as to where it had been squashed in the bathroom.

The first room we stayed in .

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

• Inland Single Room

Residents who grabbed sun beds around pool and in garden, throwing towels on them all day, but often never needing or using them. Suggest control like refundable deposit for a sunbed and towel ?

Good food, welcoming staff, fabulous views and access to the beach. Staff always checking if we needed anything, spoilt us really.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• Inland Twin/Double Room

Had to change rooms due to road noise. Second room much better. Moving the two single beds apart because of snoring! , it was clear that the carpet needed a deeper clean.

The friendly atmosphere and accommodating staff

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

Bed uncomfortable but I think they're in the process of upgrading them

Fabulous location great breakfast 2 pools gym spa very friendly and helpful staff

• Reviewed: 22 July 2016

• Inland Twin/Double Room

Paid a lot of money but the standard of the rooms could have been better. We had 2 rooms over 3 nights (there was a wedding on and the hotel was fully booked, hence very busy). The first room, a sea view room, smelt musty, the wardrobe smelt stale and musty so I was reluctant to hang anything up in it. The shower curtain smelt stale/sour. One of the lights above the dressing table wasn't working so I reported it and asked for maintenance via the card left in the room, which I dutifully hung outside the room on the door handle as instructed. However no-one came to fix it. On the last day we had to move rooms to an inland view, which was a flat roof, some pipes and air con outlets (very noisy at night) and someone else's window. Not very pleasant. We were told to pack our luggage and leave the bags for staff to transfer to our new room and this would be treated as a priority. Alas this didn't happen. When we came back to the hotel late afternoon (after checking out earlier that morning) we had no luggage. The reception staff had no idea where it was. After 25 mins waiting (a little stressful), the hotel manager got involved and it was traced back to the first room we were in. No one had thought to look there first... In addition, the inland room had no safe and the bathroom was dated. At breakfast time the 3 tables surrounding ours remained uncleared and dirty throughout the whole time we sat there. The system for showing guests to their table then taking order for tea/coffee seemed a little chaotic as we were forgotten about after being seated. A table that was seated after us got their tea/toast before us. It's just little details that made our stay not quite perfect.

Sea view was amazing, it was lovely to sit in the armchairs in our room and look out over the beach.The complimentary chilled, bottled water in the room was pleasant, the robes and slippers were great to relax in, the bed was large although had a join in the middle! The breakfast was varied and plentiful, although the croissants ran out one morning. Dinner was lovely and the staff very attentive, especially the restaurant manager. The location of the hotel is what made our stay, being so close to the beach was brilliant.

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Getting drinks ordered, even water, was incredibly slow. Ironically the one day this year they really needed them there seemed to be a lack of sun-shades when sitting outside.

The hotel looked like it has been done up lately but must have a lot of turnover in people so needs it. The location was perfect for us with stunning views and the room although not large was perfectly good. Staff were friendly although a little slow at getting things. Food was reasonable and reasonably fast..

• Single Room with Sea View

Food not the best. Restaurant food was only just ok. Not more. Needs more professional attention and is expensive for mediocre food. Lounge menu better for standard fare

Very nice single room with balcony with sea view. Excellent staff, helpful pleasant and professional. Good family seaside hotel. Cliff top location. Very flat beach

• Large Family Suite with Sea View

Took 3 attempts to get into our room even given the key to another guests room ??? Staff not particularly welcoming or happy.

The position of the hotel

• Reviewed: 20 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

Very poor service, food was terrible. Wouldn't stop there again. Very similar to fawlty towers, except it's not funny when you are paying over £300 per night !!

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

• Double or Twin Room with Sea View

There was only one little thing and that was caused by selfish people leaving cigarette butts at the bottom of the steps outside in the well kept garden ,but not the hotels fault

Plenty of staff and all helpful and friendly ,lovely facilities every where clean ,plenty to do food excellent ,bar staff very informative,My husband ordered me some flowers and they were placed in our bedroom gorgeous roses in a container ,nothing was to much trouble for them .cant recommend this hotel enough