Reviews of The Sherwood Guest House 4 stars

7 Lascelles Terrace, Eastbourne, BN21 4BJ, United Kingdom

#26 of 46 B&Bs and Inns in Eastbourne

Nothing really

Only stayed the one night but I found the owners very helpful and accommodating. The choice of breakfast was excellent. I had a full English breakfast which was very enjoyable and set me up for the day . Well worth a visit

• Deluxe Double Room

I cannot fault anything at The Sherwood Guest House. Moreover, only have lots of good things to say about it and its owners.

An extraordinary guest house which is well managed by Bo and Carole, who are not only great hosts but a lovely, hardworking couple. In providing so many extras to ensure guests enjoy their stay and going that extra mile in doing so, makes them and The Sherwood very special indeed.

• Double or Twin Room

As mentioned the stairs were the only thing.

Exceptional comfort - we were on top floor so stairs were the only reason we didn't score facilities top marks we will ask for a lower floor room next time.

The bathroom was small and would have been better if only a shower instead of the bath.

The pleasant nature of the staff, the excellent breakfasts and the close proximity to the theatre, shops and sea front.

Parking was a problem like everywhere now days.

All in all we enjoyed the hotel and the location very near to the seafront. I will recommend the breakfast and the staff were great and tentitve to our needs.

The only drawback is the number of stairs that there are to get to the room or down to breakfast, which can cause problems if you have reduced mobility as happened to me with a knee injury. Luckily this is not a problem for me now!

Sometimes it is the small things that are most appreciated - the bottle of water in the room in addition to the tea/coffee and biscuits was welcome as well as the supply of cotton wool buds in the bathroom.

• Deluxe Double Room

Too many stairs as I have a problem walking, but I knew there was no lift when I booked so can’t complain. But be aware if you have a mobility issue

Convenient for everything. Breakfasts to die for!

We are used to sleeping in a super king bed, so a standard double bed seemed small. The duvet seemed to be 'winter' thickness and there was a Bar listed on the fire information but we couldn't find it. People in wheelchairs wheelchairs or physically impared customers would find it impossible!

Room was clean,if a little on the small side. and the breakfasts were excellent.

Absolutely nothing...

It was actually my (grown up) daughters who stayed, but both loved the place. Me and my wife arrived early Saturday at breakfast time and were made very welcome by the Bo and Carole. They reset the table so we could join our daughters for breakfast even though we weren't staying in the guest house. Both daughters have said they'd stay there again, the rooms were clean, comfortable and probably better than they expected- what more can we say!

• Deluxe Double Room

I cannot fault The Sherwood Guesthouse in any way. I have only good things to say about it and its proprietors. A great stay and superb value for money!

The guesthouse was definitely the best I've stayed in - in terms of location, cleanliness, food, and the friendliness and hospitality of the host Carole, who worked so hard ensuring guests were well catered for.

• Double or Twin Room

The bed was very comfy. Tea and coffee with water and biscuits was a great. I had a very nice breakfast. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to be close to amenities.

Having to leave..😂 would of stayed there longer if possible

Room was first class, usually guest houses you get a lot of background noise, I.E creeking stair, slamming doors at nigh etc but did not have that at The Sherwood.. Fantastic place to stay “ I will be back”” 👍👌

• Deluxe Double Room

Bathroom was a bit too small for me but other than that , everything was great .

Good size room, very comfortable bed :-) lovely breakfast, friendly staff . Hotel close to the beach and town .

Having travelled a lot, and stayed in hundreds of places including B&B’s, we’ve never had a table allocated for breakfast which matched the room number. A bit regimented I thought. The breakfast was only luke warm, which included the coffee and hot chocolate, both mornings. We appreciate food is pre cooked and sits in warmers but it should be served hot.

The location is perfect and very quiet. Our room was very comfy and although it faced the street, we had a side view of the sea, which was superb. Parking was free, outside on the street, with vouchers obtained from our friendly hostess. The hosts were a lovely couple.

Background noise during the night from somewhere.

Great location 50 yards from seafront. Good full English breakfast. Very clean, new bathroom facilities.

My single room was on top floor and with a big suitcase it was difficult. The room was so much smaller than it looked on the photos. The bed was extremely uncomfortable and it did hurt my back. I didn't sleep well all the time I stayed there. The window was unstable especially if there was a wind. When I asked the cleaner to change my sheets after 4 days she said they only change it weekly-which I stayed 7 days but they have changed my towels once.

The location was good, and the breakfast was ok.

The angle and contrast of the TV made it a bit hard to watch. Bathroom was a bit cramped. Hot water took ages to kick in.

It was very quiet and comfortable. Full English breakfast included in price was a nice touch. Location and amount of plugs in the wall was great.

Everything was fine for us, but there are several steps up into the property from pavement level, and our room was on one of the upper floors, which meant climbing in excess of 40 steps which could be difficult for anyone with limited mobility.

Bo and Carol were really friendly and helpful. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful. Everything was clean and comfortable. Lovely hot water and a shower that worked! Controllable heating in the bedroom. A good supply of tea, coffee, bottled water. The Sherwood is located within easy walking distance of the sea front, and town centre.

• Deluxe Double Room

We didn't like the fact that it was on street parking and we had to drive around to find a parking space close to the hotel. Also there is no lift.

The bed was really comfy and our room was spacious. The hosts were extremely friendly. Nothing was too much trouble at breakfast time.

Parking can be difficult although it is free by way of a parking pass kindly given by the guest house owners.

The bed was comfy, the owners friendly, breakfast freshly prepared and delicious. Location was perfect for our needs, near to the beach, shops and restaurants.

All good. Nothing not to like !

Wonderful friendly hosts. Couldn’t do enough for us. Excellent information given on arrival. We were cared for like family. Home from home. It was husbands birthday so he had a special treat at breakfast and we were upgraded to a bigger room as one available. Very good room. Extremely clean. Nice touches with bottles of water as well as tea & coffee. Can’t recommend enough

Not alot!

Location and the warm welcome received from Carole throughout our stay. Very good restaurants within easy walking distance. Free parking in Hotel bays outside hotel. When the need arises we will be returning.

• Superior Quadruple Room

The weather was not very good, but here we can only blame global warming!

Friendly staff, good location with parking just outside the front door, walking distance to the sea front and the town centre and a delicious English breakfast. Will be returning all being well.

The monastic atmosphere in the breakfast lounge. Perhaps the radio (Radio 2?) at a reasonable volume. Conversations were more like clandestine passing of state secrets!

A very nice welcoming place. Helpful staff that let you get on with it.

Lovely location, beautiful spacious room and everything was so clean. Breakfast was made to order, plentiful and tasty. I would definitely stay here again if in Eastbourne

It need are lift in the building,I found the strairs too much.

They made you feel welcome and the staff are very friendly. The breakfast was excellent and you had many different choices what you can have for breakfast. Special thanks for the kippers.

Everything was perfect

We were kindly upgraded free on our arrival to the superior double . It was an amazing room with a side room with bunk beds . The shower was fantastic and the bed was soooo comfortable . Lovely breakfast with lots of choices . Excellent bed and breakfast , lovely staff, perfect location and would definitely come back and recommend to friends and family. Thank you for your hospitality and making us very comfortable , wishing you a very happy 2018

• Double or Twin Room

Very clean and everything you needed was avaliable great hosts and great breakfast choices could not fault it would recommend to all we booked for 2 nights over Christmas.

Arrived at 10.00 a,m, from Australia and Bo was kind enough to let us have our room. Fantastic customer service, excellent establishment, no complaints at all.

I've stayed at the Sherwoods a number of times and I have always been very well looked after and made welcome. The Sherwoods is in an excellent location for all amenities and the breakfast is outstanding.

The owners were really friendly and helpful. Our room was lovely and clean, beds were super comfy! The cooked breakfast was delicious!! We would definitely stay here again!!

The single room was comfortable and spacious, lovely bathroom with generous shower. The breakfasts were lovely with friendly and attentive service. In fact, I cannot praise the staff and proprietors highly enough, they were unfailingly friendly, without being pushy and made the trip excellent. The location was perfect, steps from the beach and the theatre and close to the city centre.

Curtains in the bathroom. I felt that when the lights were on people could see in or see my shadow.

Although I only had cereal for breakfast there was enough choice. The room was clean and I had all I needed.

No lift, car parking on the road side ... It was difficult to find a parking slot at around 10pm - 11pm. My right hand side indicator lamp was smashed by something sharp, and seen some new paint scratches on body. (Not the hotel’s problem but you could be taking this risk.)

Friendly and approachable, polite and kind staff, clean and tidy, good quality breakfast both English and continental in a properly set table in clean dining room, very close to sea front and great affordable price, other guests were very pleasant also.

• Double or Twin Room

Great little guest house in excellent location, close to sea front and local theatres, quiet area. Parking outside, owners provide vouchers for stay

The mattress was a bit hard and the pillows thin had to use spare pillow. Only two double plug sockets all being used by bedside lamps, alarm clock, kettle and tv . Shouldn’t have to clamber under the bed to get to an extension lead with a spare socket on to charge our phone, in this day and age there should be usb points or sockets by the bed to charge your devices.

The staff were excellent, breakfast was good. Great location and convenient for the theatre, shops bars, restaurants and beach.

Nothing in hotel .

Nice to have permit parking plenty to offerfrom.hotel towels,cotton buds and cotton wool, tea coffee biscuits milk. Hair drier. Food nice lots to choose from at breakfast.

Wifi was unstable, shower and shampoo not provided but I didn’t shower so I didn’t bother to ask.

Reasonably good location 5-10 mins walk to most of the restaurant, 40 mins walk to be beach head, bed is comfy, staff are helpful.

Nothing of note

Fantastic - Handy for seafront and town. Stones throw to a good theater. Owners friendly and cannot do enough to make you feel welcome. This is my 2nd visit to the Sherwood

Wasn't sure whether we could turn off the sky box, as blue light from it kept us awake.

Attention to detail was very impressive, e.g. Cotton wool and buds provided,also tea towel. Nice location. Very pleasant staff.

The linen sheets and towels were really clean, bathroom and room were really clean. Service was great and the breakfast was excellent! The hosts were very warm and friendly.

cant think of anything

Breakfast excellent but too much on a small plate, same breakfast larger plate please. Our room was very comfortable and clean. All little extras cotton buds, cotton wool, tea towel. Flannel all good Very friendly people and informative on restaurants etc.

only contention was that the sea view was partial (sideways on)

welcoming, clean, comfy, lovely décor, good breakfasts, town, beach and good theatres on doorstep, many activities, lovely children's zoo (Drucillas) exceptional. Recommend The Bandstand Theatre when 'Elvis' is on (Mark Summers, No.1 Elvis impersonator)

I thought the man was quite rude. I asked for a earlier breakfast, not accommodating at all. The stair carpet was all worn away. The bathroom shower was mouldy! It smelt musty. Glad I was only staying one Night! Wouldn't stay again.

The location!

bathroom very small no wash basin, had to go back into room to wash hands

Would visit again , clean friendly, close to all amenities, and reasonably priced

The room decor was rather tired. Street parking in Eastbourne is limited. We were about 100 metres from the hotel.

We ate dinner at a recommended local restaurant and it was excellent. The rooms were clean and quiet and the bed comfortable. Free wifi

I should have been warned before booking that there were 72 stairs to climb from the breakfast room to my room. The TV was not tuned in, I didn't go down to report this as the stairs were too much on my knees.

The breakfast was very nice Everything in my room was fresh and clean.

The rooms bathroom above us was very noisy to the point we could hear them on the loo. i know they were trying to fit in with the Victorian theme of the house but I feel it was a bit more dated than themed

Very clean, decent breakfast, comfy bed, soft bedsheets. All the main components were perfectly executed

I found the shower cubicle a little too small for me. A shower tray would have been of help. Otherwise the bathroom was spotless.

Very welcoming and happy to help with any issues.

Many levels of stairs to room with no lift. No hairdryer in room which is almost a given these days and first time in 5 weeks of bnbs of not having one in room. Parking on the street which could be up to a block away.

Breakfast was nice and staff were friendky

Very friendly, clean, comfortable, great freshly cooked breakfast, 1 minute to the beach, very close to good restaurants and the excellent Devonshire Theatre. Would definitely return!

I was in the attic room on the top floor, the stairs might be a problem for less able people. So ask for a room not so high up.

Friendly hosts, excellent English breakfast with an additional choice of fresh fruit, clean room; I wish I could have taken the comfy mattress back home😉

Dated, bathroom unpleasant, stuffy, bed was very uncomfortable.

Proprietors were friendly. Breakfast was outstanding. Very affordable. Good walking nearby.

• Double or Twin Room

Lots of stairs to our room. Saniflo toilet a bit noisy!

Very clean and comfortable. Lovely staff and excellent breakfast. A quiet location but close to everything. Proprietors very pleasant and helpful.

Shower could have been more powerful but not a great issue.

Swift check in although we were early. We were issued parking permits for free on street parking. Lovely cooked breakfast. Brilliant location for the Air Show. Hairdryer and iron was available on request. Enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay at this hotel again.

I couldn't get the TV to work

I liked the fresh fruit and the fry up was not greasy. staff were nice and non interfering. Most of all the fact that the stairs and bedrooms were carpeted so no noisy wooden floors as in most BnBs

Nothing it was perfect

The rooms were very clean, the staff very friendly and welcoming and the breakfast was excellent and varied to suit all tastes. Would definitely stay again

Next time I would request a room on a lower floor as I found the stairs a challenge - but I was on the top floor!

Very welcoming with excellent breakfast.

As above

Overall good value for money but far too many stairs for us! Room a little hot but we guessed this would be the case and came prepared with a large fan. bathroom was the downfall it was cupboard size with smell coming up from toilet when flushed. The good points were: Breakfast very good and property very clean shame about that room however other rooms may be much better. Check before booking!

One room was tiny and the other was up a lot of flights of stairs into the eaves. There must be ways of updating these old terraced houses that create a more contemporary feel without costing the earth.

Probably one of the better B&Bs in Eastbourne, which does seem to be quite expensive generally. The place was certainly clean and tidy, and the owners were very low key.

Plumbing in our room which I think they are sorting. Family room was on small side but fine for our stay

Good food friendly staff good location very clean

The Fire Alarm that went off in the middle of the night by mistake!!!

The breakfast was great. It is a bit out of the township to walk to, but close to the beach.

Can't see how this hotel got a 9.0 score??. It's very tired with worn furniture and the bathroom was dire and needs to be refurbed and updated. Despite this it was clean, and the breakfast was good. The staff were very nice.

Location to sea front

Parking isn't that easy to find in the first go since there is a theater right around the corner.

The host were really nice. It was really clean and comfortable. Beach and many restaurants are pretty close by.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

We weren't informed that we would have to climb six flights of stairs to our rooms. It was extremely difficult getting our cases up there. One of the beds had a mattress that was almost flat in the middle and you could feel the springs.

We were warned on the booking acknowledgement that there were eight steps up to the front door and thirteen stairs down to the dining room but no mention was made that there was no lift in the hotel. We were told this only after we had paid and carried our luggage up 40 stairs! We are in our seventies and thank goodness we were only on the second floor.

The rooms were quiet and the choice at breakfast was excellent.

• Double or Twin Room

We had two single beds would have preferred a double. Bathroom cramped but very clean

Excellent location, breakfast cooked fresh daily very tasty. Clean and comfortable. Enjoyed our stay. Hospitality tray in room was a nice touch. Towels clean soft and fluffy.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

it was all good

breakfast was perfect, room clean, bed comfortable and staff friendly. near beach ,pier, shops and public transport if needed also parking is easy. Very enjoyable short break.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

We mentioned that there should be an emergency number in the room in case of emergency during the night or if you were unable to go to reception . I feel there should be a hairdryer in the room.

The staff were pleasant and the breakfast very good. The location is excellent near buses shops beach and restaurants.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Nothing that comes to mind. Maybe a small fridge in the room would be nice, especially if very warm. Not a moan just a suggestion.

Nice welcome and rooom very clean. Had the old fashioned look. Bed very comfortable. Bath was on the small side, so may be a problem if tall. Foetuently we are not. Breakfast very nice and filling. Close to beach about 2 minutes but not on main road. About 10 minute walk to the station.

The TV in my room. This is the only reason I would not stay at the Sherwood again, as it would not work no matter what I was told to do by the staff.

There was an excellent varied choice for breakfast and as well as the full English, a good vegetarian choice.

Only fault we could find was nowhere in shower to put shampoo etc. had to reach out of shower to shelf.

Excellent position just off the promenade with easy walking to several restaurants and shopping precinct. Parking permits for local area a great help. Breakfast very good choice and plenty of it.

There was only one chair in the room and the shower area would benefit from a soap dish and of somewhere to put shampoos etc

This hotel was friendly, clean - breakfast was excellent - very good variety and choice. Carol and Bo were very welcoming - possibly the best B & B that we have been to. Will definately be returning if we go back to Eastbourne. Lots of shop and restaurants - could recommend the Buccaneer pub which is just around the corner near to the Winter Gardens Theatre. Weatherspoons is around 10 minutes walk away - both of these venues offer an excellent choice of food at sensible prices.

Parking on the road was okay, though we sometimes had to go a couple of streets away to find a space.

Very convenient position, whether for walking along the prom or for going into town or for starting out towards Beachy Head and the Seven Sisters. Excellent range of choice at breakfast, very well organised. Vista bar a couple of minutes' walk away for evening refreshments with a nice view.

A little noisy at times during the night and early morning from other guests but not excessive.

Perfect location for the theatre, restaurants and shops.