Reviews of Chichester Harbour Hotel and Spa 4 stars

North Street, Chichester, PO19 1NH, United Kingdom

#7 of 10 hotels in Chichester

• Superior Double

Paintwork tired in places. Breakfast cereal and fruit limited. Dining menu not as good as The Jetty in Mudeford, Dorset. Did not like making an auction bid for a better room. How did you know when you hadn't seen the rooms to compare?

Helpful staff. Convenient location. Small bathroom.

Very limited parking available and on a first come first served basis, this wasn't brought to our attention when we booked and the information about parking wasn't in the website. Rooms are quite dark.

Staff were really friendly and accomadating.

The room didn't have a lot of circulation, a little stuffy as the fan provided wasn't particularly strong. The door lock broke and we could not access our room for about an hour.

The staff were excellent. When locked out of our room they were very attentive and cared. The parking system was very efficient. The location could not have been better for the centre.

The bed was made of two singles that ended up with an uncomfortable dip in the middle. Lovely bathroom but cheap shower curtain could be replaced. Breakfast food was good but not enough staff made service slow. Think everyone staying at the hotel should have access to the spa facilities without extra cost!

Staff were very friendly. Room was very comfortable. Great location. Nice and clean and modern.

We wanted a later check out but it was not possible because the guests booked in after us had been given early check in. This is a rare break without the children and we all travel for work so a basic courtesy call to confirm with us was not an usual expectation. This was an unpleasant surprise and not the best way to begin our stay. The car park was tiny and we could not book a spot in advance so guests are abandoned to the parking restrictions of Chichester if they are not lucky! Not really the level of service I would expect for this price band of room.

Breakfast was good; room was comfortable and a good size, staff are friendly and the bar/restaurant manager was very sociable and helpful. He deserves a credit especially

Staff forgot newspaper order. Standard lamp in room not working. Room lock faulty - hard to insert key without fiddling. Many breakfast tables uncleared when we entered at 9.00 am. Winter weight duvets - too hot.

Location and parking excellent. Breakfast good.

• Single Room with Bathroom

Room was very hot at night,and was unable to open window..parking at rear of hotel is very tight indeed..

Very comfortable bed,bathroom very nice...nice breakfast.. all in all a very nice hotel...

• Superior Double

Rooms are very hot, vegetarian cooked breakfast not so good. Lots of little staircases

bed was very comfortable, receptionist was lovely, dining room and bar are attractive. Very good location. Chichester cathedral was setting up a flower show, brilliant

• Superior Double

It was noisy from the street outside at night - not the Hotel's fault. Room was very hot -the weather was unusual., but they do not have air conditioning in the bedrooms because it's a listed building.

Staff were all friendly, polite and kind. They really wanted us to enjoy our stay.

Even though it had a Spa-jacuzzi and gym, and the room was £165.00 you had to pay an extra £10 each to use the facilities, which was not on really, you need to rethink

The Staff treated us like royalty, and upgraded our room to huge family room. Very clean and nothing was too much trouble. Great location right in the town and next to priory park - perfect

How long have you got? The main issue was in relation to an accident that happened in the hotel's private car park. As I was getting ready to leave, I discovered that someone had driven into the front of my car whilst in the car park, causing fairly significant damage, including cracked grille, heavy paint damage, and cracked bumper. There was no note left on my car, and no witnesses. I went back into the hotel to report the incident. I dealt with Wicheta Piper, the receptionist on duty, who seemed genuinely concerned. I saw behind reception that the CCTV was aimed right where my car was parked, and I asked if I could see the footage. I waited for the next two hours whilst the footage was reviewed. I was offered a coffee by the bar manager, who was also a nice chap. Fortunately they managed to find some footage of a car that seemed to drive into my car, but unfortunately their grainy footage could not make out the number-plate. I asked for a copy of the footage, and was told it was not possible due to the way it was stored. I asked if I could take a video on my phone, and was told it was not possible. I was promised that someone would take footage for me, and e-mail it on. Wicheta provided me with the name of the car park company, saying that they had ANPR at the car park. I was also given the name of the hotel General Manager, Attila Domby, and was told he would be in touch. I then left, as I had a long journey home. This is where is all started to unravel, and where the hotel has shown some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I waited for two days after leaving the hotel before contacting the General Manager. In that time I didn't receive the footage I was promised, or any form of courtesy call from the manager or anyone to tell me that they were looking into the matter, or to apologise for the incident. I sent a further e-mail to Attila on 3rd May, as he had not bothered to respond to my e-mail.

The breakfast was good. That is about it.

COSTLY FOR WHAT YOU GET MORE THAN DOUBLE CHARGED FOR PAPERS TO BE DELIVERED, AND 10 POUNDS TO USE THE SPA NOT WORTH 175 POUNDS A NIGHT FOR STANDARD ROOM WITH BREAKFAST

LOCATION IDEAL FOR THE TOWN,

They said it was disabled friendly,we had to move ramps so my husband could get into the hotel,they never helped put ramps up and down,

The rooms were lovely,breakfast was good,

It was a bit slick and corporate. The waiting service wasn't well coordinated. When the main course eventually arrived, the meat was barely luke warm. I had to climb on the windowsill to close the window. The hotel wouldn't accept our newspaper voucher. Despite the name it's nowhere near the harbour. Nothing major, but with these prices I expect better.

This was a well-appointed hotel. The staff tried hard, a little too hard if anything to live up to expectations

• Superior Double

The lift is terrible. No late night food for post -theatre. No grab rail for when using the shower. Room key difficult to use

Extremely comfortable bedroom. Excellent location for Theatre. Excellent breakfast.

The bedroom decor could have been more modern. The carpet on the stairs was very worn and made that part of the hotel look tatty.

The wet room in the spa was fab. The dinner and breakfast in the restaurant was lovely.

• Superior Double

Bar available to residents- we were a large group in the area for my daughters wedding. We would have liked to have drinks in the bar on the Friday night when we got in at 12;30.

Staff were exceptionally helpful and polite

See above

On arrival got moved to a top floor room - lots of stairs etc No curtains in room - just shutters on window Parking difficult - had to find street parking for first night - parking space reservation with booking would help

First room (4)was too small, tired and in need of a revamp. Mould in bathroom and a lot of damage to paintwork. Staff changed us to a new room on request (27) and it was cleaner. Parking is not guaranteed and very tight as we found out on arrival.

Dinner was excellent in ‘The Jetty’. Staff were very friendly and helpful when we asked for a new room. Bed was really comfortable. Excellent location.

room 22 a bit too small no aircon so room too warm

great staff dining area and bar area excellent great choice for breakfast easy parking and great access to Chichester shops and the Cathedral

• Superior Double

Access directions by car could have been better.

City Centre location perfect for shops, cathedral, Festival Theatre. Parking available. Our room was on the side and quiet. Double bed large and comfortable. We had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast which were cooked to order and delicious.

Breakfast was great as was evening meal and every member of staff was polite, friendly and professional. The hotel location is excellent, right on the high street.

• Single Room with Bathroom

I was appalled to find the windows open and the heating on with the outside temperature 26 degrees. Have you no environmental conscience? The staff need to avoid asking 'how's it going' every time one appears. And it is absurd when one asks for hot water to replenish the teapot to be given the hot water and told to be careful because it is hot. I'm not a child!!

Windows old and made alot of noise opening/closing shutters needed to be fixed shower no power Just think whole room needed to be updated for the amount we paid for a superior room I was expecting to be better

Great location staff very friendly bathroom and bath big

Duvet on bed too small for size of bed.Noise from bar area filtered through to the room although stopped at eleven. May have been better with an upgrade and should have asked questions before booking ie can we have a quiet room

Location in centre of town as a bonus. Good parking, nice dining room and restaurant. Friendly staff good tea making facilities I room.

Our superior room was very disappointing considering the price we paid. The bathroom floor looked fine but was actually seeping water when you trod on it. The bathroom was also very small with nowhere to put anything except on the very small shelf above the basin. The carpet on the back stairs is very worn.

The staff were excellent: very kind and caring as well as efficient- some of the best staff I have encountered anywhere. The public areas have been nicely refurbished and the bar is great again with brilliant staff and the breakfast was excellent.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is in the centre of Chichester with private car park so an excellent location. We found everything to be of high quality, including White Stuff toiletries which pleased my partner. Good decor, comfy large bed, excellent breakfast and delightful staff. We can certainly recommend this hotel.

• Superior Double

The spa and pool were going to be charged as an extra cost, which was dropped when I highlighted that this was not stated when booking.

The location of the hotel was great, very central. It's an historic building so the single glazed sash windows can rattle unless the catches are tight. The staff were great particularly at breakfast, busy but good spirited. Great cooked breakfast with good choice of options.

• Single Room with Bathroom

I asked for a quiet room. First night fine second night l could hear the couple in the next room . The window was difficult to open and shut.

The bathroom big bath.

• Single Room with Bathroom

For a hotel of this standard I would have expected my room to be cleaned or at least refreshed each day of my stay this only happened every other day.

Comfortable with spacious bathroom

The room was tired and needed a good refurbishment.

The restaurant and bar area have been recently refurbished and the staff were friendly and professional.

• Superior Double

Hotel carpets were worn and tired which let down what was a very nicely appointed hotel.

Very comfortable Bed, good nights sleep. Enjoyed the Breakfast and all the staff were very helpful and attentive. Car parking is a bit challenging on first come first served basis.

Our room was on the small side and faced the front of the hotel which was a little noisy at night/closing time with people walking past talking loudly

Breakfast was very good as was the bar and service

Not worth the money. Room was small and pokey, shower stopped working and the excuse given by reception was "probably because everyone was showering at the same time" - sorry, but this is a hotel...? Hotel is dated. Not enough parking to accommodate all guest, which resulted in leaving car on road first night and having to wake up early to move it.

Only problem was getting TV adjusted - was set to radio and difficult to get to TV programmes

Great bowl of fruit, freshly cooked breakfast and lovely fresh croissant. What more could you want for breakfast!!!!

• Superior Double

To change the name of a historic hotel just for ego and branding is appalling. It's not anywhere near a harbour!!

The restaurant was good, but there was noise

• Superior Double

When we arrived they did not have our name. However after a long search from your colleague they finally found our reset. I have the reservation number and showed it. We felt as if we were a nuisance. Later we went up the bar and had a cocktail. We settled the bill when we left the bar the same evening. When we went to settle our bill on departure not only did you want to charge us for the bar bill but also a dinner no. We never even had dinner at the hotel. Unbelievable. Sorry, this was unacceptable. Not impressed

The top room

Room decor depressing. Bathroom poor and old fashioned and cramped. Four star hotel it is not, everything poor standard and overpriced.

Staff were very welcoming and helpful location excellent.

• Superior Double

Very friendly and helpful staff, Leah on reception was great. Very good location for exploring Chichester and the surrounding area. Rooms and beds very comfortable, would definitely book again.

• Superior Double

Spa could have been warmer.

Food was good quality... room was comfy and clean. The staff were very friendly particularly Sandra - great customer service

• Family Room

We were in a family room which was a lovely room. Unfortunately it was at the back of the building which meant there was no lift directly to it and too many stairs for my mum.

The hotel is close to everything- just a short stroll to the shops, cathedral & walls of the city. The breakfast was gorgeous- smoked bacon & spicy sausage 😛

Room decor was a bit dated, was informed hotel is going through a refurbishment. Mentioned this to the Manager and I have to say that they could not have been more helpful in resolving our issue.

Recommend using restaurant and bar facilities, had a lovely meal there during stay, staff are excellent. Ideal location, parking good, leave the car and walk. Cathedral is certainly worth a visit.

A couple of small criticisms; the view from the room was over the car park (we had been offered an upgrade, but there was no mention of whether this would add to the cost). The bed was very spacious, but the double mattress meant that one rolled into the middle rather too often!

Very good breakfast in light and pleasant surroundings. It was also very good to be offered tea while we were waiting for the check-in to be completed (we had arrived before the normal check-in time of 3pm)

The car park was full on arrival and being in the centre of the city was a little bit frustrating.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening, spent some relaxing time in the bar. Our stay from arrival to departure was more than we could of hoped for.

Room No.4 could do with a little updating. Creaking floorboards need attention.

We were extremely happy with our stay at your hotel, we loved the decor and the pleasent atmosphere you projected.

• Single Room with Bathroom

Room not so good, zero pressure on shower (water pressure on everything else was fine). Restaurant food menu limited, food second rate.

Location and parking good

Filthy corridor - dirty footprints everywhere Awful view from room number 15 which looks straight onto a roof of generators and fans, the noise of which was very loud. The noise from the room next door was very loud - shockingly so! The hotel was kind enough to upgrade us as we complained about the noise and we were moved to a much nicer quieter room however there was no mattress protector on the mattress! Told be wrong times for breakfast Dirty toilets in main reception when checking out On check out I was asked to rate the hotel - I told them 5. Subsequently the manger contacted me via email to ask me for more details around my feedback score - I emailed him a lengthy response - I was appalled he never even bothered to get back to me

Good breakfast Great location Nice reception team I left something at the hotel and they posted it to me - although they did hound me for the £3 delivery charge! If I didn’t answer my phone due to being in a meeting at work I would come out to see several missed calls and messages and an email!

The whole place is warm. They claim it is mid-refurb but we were very disappointed. The bathroom was very old and the shower had a very loud booster. The bed was two singles at different heights and an ineffective topper. The room service we are still waiting for!

Although small, and my massage being a lot shorter than I booked the spa was lovely.

• Single Room with Bathroom

It is noisy. Walls are so thin that I could hear both TV programmes that my neighbours were watching in the next door rooms. Squeaky floors too. The hot water in the shower comes from a mini boiler that is not very powerful.

Very good breakfast and comfy bed. Very stylish furniture and decoration, it is a pleasant atmosphere.

The location is fantastic. We stayed in a standard double room and the room is small but we were there for 2 nights only so not an issue. Will be nice to be able to have more hooks in bathroom for towels and toiletries bag. Restaurant was fantastic. We ate there first night and food was excellent. Good selection of cooked breakfast too.

2 single beds masquerading as a double/kingsize!! ( we rolled into centre). Being told we couldn't have 'Afternoon Tea' ... We needed to give 48 hours notice!!

Great location Good cooked breakfast

• Superior Double

Unfortunately breakfast service was very slow and when my boiled eggs eventually arrived they were overcooked.

Excellent location, large room with views of Priory Park and the cathedral. Friendly, helpful staff. A very clean and comfortable hotel.

• Superior Double

Thought the lift was very old and jerky, not feel safe in it. (Ancient) Also took ages to arrive, so very slow, so used the stairs after going up with luggage ! Breakfast staff a little lapse, as we waited 15 minutes for a menu ! But food came In a reasonable time. Car Park was quite small and not very well set out, for It's size ! I ended up having to park my new car against a wall at the end, for safety reasons, which made It very awkward to get back out. (Took me 10 Mins to maneuver it back out)

Comfortable bed, but a little smaller than we used to ! But room was more than adequate for space and facilities ! Breakfast was excellent In choice and cooked very well ! Staff were very helpful on arrival, asked them to lock my car keys in the safe, for my new car I had just collected, then brought us two wine glasses and a cork screw for our bottle of wine we had been given earlier by dealership !

Often no one on reception at sa. We did not know before we arrived we had to pay an extra 10£ each to use the spa and then you could only book it in slots. We had room service our first evening did not get what we ordered to late to send back and it cost more.

Staff and cleanliness. Good breakfast

• Superior Double

far too expensive for what is really just a nice 3* hotel trying to create the impression that it is better than it actually is - a buffer breakfast is often preferable to waitress service with limited choices of set hot meals and why just provide expensive packets of different types of meusli when not everyone necessarily likes meusli Room a rather depressing "brown" when a brighter room would have created a better first impression

exxellent location helpful and friendly staff comfortable if rather ordinary room tea and coffeee making facilities in the room Bathrobe and slippers provided An extra electric heater provided as we stayed on a cold, damp day in February

As we are of the 'older' generation, we did find our room ( No.17) rather a long way from reception, with a lot of stairs, and we were quite out of breath when we got there! I will check next time.

Our room was very comfortable, and spotlessly clean. All the staff are well trained and extremely helpful, and we were able to park in the Hotel's car park.,

The bubbles didn't work in the spa pool. Dinner didn't arrive for 45 mins, although the positive was that we did get an apology for this. Otherwise, dinner was ok for the money and the staff friendly but 3 items were forgotten and we had to ask for them again. We also weren't told what the dessert of the day was.

The bar had a nice ambience and the staff were helpful and friendly. The dessert of the day was amazing!!

• Superior Double

Mattress was very uncomfortable, I assume it was old as 2 very distinctive dips so you felt like you were on a slope. Poor nights sleep for myself and my partner

Bar area very nice and bar staff super friendly and helpful

• Superior Double

Bed-we had deluxe double (twin beds pushed together) bit of an odd dip in the middle where they joined but the outside was comfy Shutters on windows broken some worked some didn't TV-very small 12" maybe you would struggle to watch a film in bed-which was our lazy Sunday plan Lift door-we where across from the lift on the top floor but selfish other guest and lack of soft close on the outer door make for an early Sunday morning could be fixed very easily as slam that makes your bones rattle Breakfast in bed-this was by far the most disappointing we thought of it as a treat but it came as a hotel after thought. Hot food came first on one tray uncovered, so lukewarm, with yogurt and granola (we asked for cornflakes) then 5mins later a second tray arrived with toast and drinks-no milk for the granola, no jam for the toast, no sauce for breakfast, no salt and pepper, no cup and saucer for hot drinks (we used mugs in room). It felt like one of the breakfast room waitstaff collected it from the breakfast buffet rather than it be made up in the kitchen.

Staff-Very welcoming, friendly, always engaged Location-Top of town near everything we needed, easy to walk everywhere Parking-Great bonus in this town but don't arrive too late on a Saturday night, I did have to sit in my car for 20mins till someone left. Room-Themed to play that have been performed at the local theatre It does have character grand stair entrance, nice looking restaurant and bar-we know the area very well so didn't use these facilities

• Single Room with Bathroom

My daughter forgot some items behind, and the hotel was prepared to do everything possible for them to reach her. In the end it was not necessary, but it demonstrated the super-helpfulness of staff.

• Single Room with Bathroom

Reception on arrival unsure . Cigarette smoke in corridor outside room which infiltrated room. Most times lift didn't work. Although requested no alarm call. Bill at end of stay incorrect

Good bed . Good breakfast. Very central to city centre

• Superior Double

small in size but enough of everything you need great restaurant very authentique you feel good and in safe hands in that hotel excellent service and team central location in chichester

• Single Room with Bathroom

Staff setting up for party below and were very noisy from midnight to 2am! Then staff emptied the bottles into the skip at 5.30am! No sleep that night!

• Superior Double

The hotel is in a great location with the town centre just a 5 min walk away. It's a lovely old building but well maintained. All of the staff were helpful and polite. The rooms are clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. We only stayed for one night so didn't have time to check out all the facilities etc. Breakfast was great.

The frames of the bedroom sash windows were unpainted and rotten, and a length of parting stile had fallen out allowing one of the lower windows to move in and out by several inches. One of the sash cords had parted. Further deterioration of the frame will allow the lower window to fall right out of the frame. It will fall onto the rotten and unpainted wood of a skylight on the flat roof outside, and will likely fall through it into the public area below. I had the senior staff member on duty at the time look at this. He was appalled at the danger this presented, and promised to let me have details and timing of the remedial work. More than a week on I have heard nothing. Avoid this death trap of an hotel.

The breakfast was well cooked and tasty. I didn't want baked beans, and the staff kindly agreed to give me extra bacon instead.

Room rather cramped because of over size bed taking up most of the space

Good restaurant although kippers weren't available and attentive waiting staff

Tv was tiny - almost couldn’t watch it. Staff a little ott- don’t like being asked to rate out of 10 orally on the spot with a queue of people behind you.

Nice looking Hotel I’m good location- very nice breakfast

• Superior Double

We booked the hotel and requested a late check out for my birthday and was not told it was not possible until next morning when we were still in bed and not prepared to pack and leave in 20 minutes. The room was so cold and unwelcoming that we sat wearing our coats and then requested a heater which should have been in our room. They knew it was a cold day and the hotel has centralised heating yet they failed to make sure the room was warm. They should have had a heater in there. Nobody bothered to check. There was no iron and ironing board so we had to request one and was given a really cheap basic iron which was quite useless. It took me an hour to iron my clothes using a wet towel to achieve a basic half creased finish. We stay in hotels a lot as we travel for work therefore, we were not impressed and did not feel that there was attention to detail.

Location was great!

Staff were very welcoming and accomidating, facilities were lovely although we did not find time to use the spa, however the prices were quite high for how long some treatments were which did deter us from using the spa. Really stunning contemporary decor and food and cocktails tasted brilliant. Would definitely return with my other half!

The bed was very hard and creaky. The room was cold but we did have electric fan heater to use

Just a nice vibe with pleasant music in the background Alex the Mixologist was very friendly and good at his job.

• Superior Double

Room not good. Old bed and very uncomfortable. Rock hard pillows. Tv not working. Dangerous spitting hot water from basin taps

Fantastic cuisine in restaurant

• Superior Double

Pillows were hard. Bathrooms need a shaving mirror.

The bar is excellent! Location is great for shopping etc and is next to the park. Hotel decor is very stylish.

• Superior Double

Modernisation only partial, more needed on lift, room facilities maintenance, corridors.

Welcoming friendly helpful staff. Excellent restaurant. Great location in Chichester centre. Good spa service. Good value for money

• Superior Double

I have complained before, the lift is a disater, guests continually are unable to read the notaces and leve the inner door open which prevents other guests from using the lift. the hotel really needs to replace this lift.

The new management team were very helpfull.

• Superior Double

Food in the Restaurant could have been better. we had Mushroom Risotto as a starter, it was served in a cold Kilner-Jar, it was luke-warm and overcooked. Our room No 30 : the duvet was too small for the bed. 1 light on Dressing Table was not working.

The staff were very helpful and pleasant.