Reviews of The St Valery 3 stars

36 Coates Gardens, Edinburgh, EH12 5LE, United Kingdom

#38 of 185 B&Bs and Inns in Edinburgh

Nice room and delicous breakfast.
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

Not the warm friendlyness like in the other b&b's throughout our journey. We had the feeling some people were treated in a different manner than others.

Nice room and delicous breakfast.

A beautiful building with absolutely brilliant staff

Our bathroom shower took a while to get to the right temperature; whoever had the first shower almost had to deal with taking a cold shower in the morning.

The staff were honestly amazing. Not only was the cooked breakfast amazing, because we were checking out earlier than they served breakfast, they were willing to create a packed breakfast for us for takeaway. The rooms were much bigger than we expected as well; there's plenty of space to move about! It's also right next to the tram line and within walking distance to the city centre.

A lovely brief second stay

Having to check out so soon.

The size of room 3 was excellent when comparing to our last visit in room 2. Quiet with a comfortable bed and the bathroom size was good too. Breakfast was also excellent. We were running late to check in and a staff member stayed later than usual to check us in and it was very much appreciated and a smooth process.,

Overall we enjoyed our stay. I would stay again but not in this particular room if I could help it .
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

I was fully aware of the outside toilet for our particular room but it was just for us so it was fine but I didn’t really like it. Ok for a night or two max.

I really liked the location and the feel of the building . Breakfast was very good too.

Great place for overnight stay andlonger.

Excellent location within easy walking distance of Haymarket Station. Very friendly and welcoming staff who went out of their way to help us with a couple of requests. Excellent Scottish breakfast but other options looked pretty good too. When staying in Edinburgh in future, I intend to put this on the top of my accommodation list

Couldn't be happier

The room was spacious and clean with a TV, free WI-FI and private bathroom. They had a comprehensive breakfast prepared each morning. The staff were friendly and helpful. The location was perfect. You are a 15-20 minute walk away from the main shopping street (Princes St) and there was a Tesco open late 2 mins away to get whatever whenever. It was quiet and peaceful with no issues from noise pollution. It isn't on a busy road so cars won't be keeping you up. The area itself is kept very clean and has parks nearby to relax. It was very pleasant and excellent value for money.

Excellent..... Our first choice, will stay again.

Everything was spot on: My wife and I stayed here last October for one night, and this time was our daughters' D of E presentation at Holyrood palace, so she was here too, and liked it.

Good stay
    • Small Double Room

Really hot and small room 2 floors up under the roof. Bath room really small.

Breakfast was really nice. Nice staff and really helpful finding parking places around the area.

Loved my stay at The St Valery!
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

Loved my stay at The St Valery! Everything was very clean and well presented. My room was very comfortable. The breakfast was just lovely too, loads of choice!

It was close to transport links - bus, train, tram - so you...
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

The room we had was at the top of the building and the shower cubicle was in the room. We were quite happy, as it was so reasonably priced, but it might not suit those who want more privacy. The toilet was in a separate room, but was private and really clean. There was very little space for hanging clothes.

It was close to transport links - bus, train, tram - so you can get to the city centre quickly and easily. The hotel is very clean, the staff are friendly and helpful. The breakfast choice is good and selection of items is wide. The building is light and the road is quiet. There are a number of cafes and small shops nearby. Clean linen and soft towels and a generous number of teabags and coffee in the room. Bed and pillows comfortable.

Beautiful B&B
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

the shower is see through which was not so comfortable for us.

only stayed for a few hours before my flight home but the first person we met was a lady at the front desk who was an absolute sweetheart! such a beautiful B&B, close to the city center and yet very quiet.

Great service, comfortable room, excellent breakfast!
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

The bathroom outside was sometimes inconvenient, water pressure in shower dropped regularly. Still would recommend this B&B to family and friends!

Great service, comfortable room, excellent breakfast!

The property, facilities and staff surprised me a lot.
    • Small Double Room

The property, facilities and staff surprised me a lot. But the structure offered for the breakfast was amazing, a free buffet and also 'hot' options to ask through the menu ... my expectations were exceded in this hotel. I really recommend it!

Great bed, great location, great breakfast.
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

Nothing - the only thing that would make it better would be a bath.

Really nice veggie breakfast & non dairy milk provided. Friendly staff. Huge room. Amazing bed.

Stay here

Could have used a small table in our room, so we pulled out the bedside table and found it hadn't been cleaned in a while.

Great size room, location was excellent, staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast, plenty of choice. Really liked how coffee and tea were available in the breakfast room any time. Felt at home. Would definitely stay there again.

Very satisfactory, would stay again and would recommend to friends

Spacious and stylish decor in classic Edinburgh house, obviously a lot of thought had gone into updating it , traditional style with modern facilities

Cheerfully accommodations! Excellent!

Everything was very good nothing bad to report.

The room was spacious and the shower was superb! Even though our room was on the lower level, it was bright and cheery and had very large windows allowing plenty of sunshine in. We would definitely stay here again!

Beware of Room 6!!
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

When we booked on Booking.com it was not until we had paid that we were informed that the toilet was situated outside our room.

The staff made up sandwiches as we needed to leave early and had no time for a sit down breakfast.

4 night stay
    • Small Double Room

My room had an ensuite (which was small but fine for me), however there was a toilet on the landing and other guests were noisy when waiting to use the toilet while I was trying to sleep. On my last night one of the neighbours decided to have a party, obviously this was not the fault of the B&B but I didn’t get as much sleep as I would have liked.

The breakfast was excellent - a number of hot options and a wide selection of pastries, drinks, cereal, etc. I enjoyed my stay, it was a good place to get over my jet lag.

Fantastic place

Can't complain about anything

Everything was so good, lovely pleasant friendly staff, super location, very clean & spacious accommodation that was nicely presented. Breakfast was delish. Thank you for the stay

I expected to rate it well, but two 'little' things made stay less pleasant.

Bathroom bin had not been emptied. When I returned to room in evening, bad drain smell in the (basement) room. Staff very concerned and apologetic - I hope it was a new problem and easy to fix.

Staff friendly and helpful, room large

Lovely old building converted into a hotel near the city...

Lovely old building converted into a hotel near the city center. Very high ceilings and very spacious. Love the chintz decor in the rooms. Breakfast was very generous as well. Only 15 minute walk to downtown, otherwise, there are bus stations down the road.

Lovely building in a good location with nice staff and plentiful breakfast.
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

Was a bit tiresome having the toilet outside our room, had to remember the key and look tidy every time I popped to the loo! We missed not getting the tattie scones that were supposed to be on the menu for our Scottish breakfast; a taste of Scotland that we were really looking forward to.

Staff were friendly, everything was clean and breakfast was lovely. Well situated for the city centre and transport. Tea and coffee supplies in our room were replenished daily even though drinks were also available in the breakfast room.

A nice location with good time on breakfast from the guest house.

So far, no.

The breakfast is much better as expected. That will be fine as the staff talking during check-in time is good bcoz I don't know it has the several choices.

Had a nice stay at the St Valery - really liked that there...
    • Small Double Room

Had a nice stay at the St Valery - really liked that there was shampoos and hand washing facilities in the bathroom. The staff were kind and friendly and made me some tasty sandwhichs as i was checking out before breakfast time. A very thoughtful gesture. The bus stop is a short walk round the corner from the hotel so great for getting to the airport or a nice walk into town isnt too far! Thank you to the team for a nice stay.

Nice warm and friendly staff.
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

Couldn't get WI-FI from the room on the top floor, the Scottish breakfast was not a Scottish breakfast, there were a number of items missing. it was a nice cooked breakfast, just remove the word Scottish from the menu.

Nice warm and friendly.

Located in the heart of Haymarket, clean and well presented hotel.

No complaints.

The receptionist was very helpful. Offering us sandwiches, croissants and fruit, as we had to leave the hotel before breakfast opening hours.

About 5 minutes walk with suitcase from Haymarket station...
    • Small Double Room

About 5 minutes walk with suitcase from Haymarket station and easy to walk to. Receptionist really friendly and helpful. Room is very cozy and clean. Breakfast is fantastic.

Welcoming, easily accessible. A 10/10 stay.

Nothing. Honestly thought the stay was excellent.

Very welcoming staff, who paid great attention to detail whilst at breakfast and upon my arrival. Proximity to Edinburgh is excellent (haymarket station 6 mins away by train/tram/bus) and very easy to connect to airport via tram or bus.

Totally worth the price !!!!
    • Small Double Room

The staff was really friendly and we felt very much at home. The room was very cute and had everything you need. The breakfast was over the top, probably one of the best breakfasts (if not the best) I had during my whole time in Scotland!!! Such a charming little house with a lovely interior decoration. If I'll go back to Edinburgh again, this will definitifely be my first place to go.

Nice place to stay near Haymarket Station
    • Twin Room with Private External Toilet

None but I think the reception should advise us that there is menu for hot meal prepared for your order. I didn't know until I'm full.

We liked the room on ground floor because we're aging and carry 24 " luggages. We cannot carry 1 luggage 1 backpack each and climb up 2 floors. Thanks for those who changed the rooms from second(third) floor. Moreover, when we advised staff that on Saturday morning we' ll leave early to catch train from Haymarket Station to Liverpool. We want to get a sandwich pack for us. When we're back from Edinburgh city tour the staff discussed with the Manager and she'll come to cook hot breakfast for us. It's very nice to do so.

Beautiful guesthouse!

We arrived super-early (something around 8 A.M when in theory our check-in time was only at 2:00 P.M) and the staff girl who welcomed us was incredibly friendly. She started rushing the cleaning of our bedroom and offered us to have breakfast while we waited. The TV had a large option of channels. The neighbirhood was very calm. The bed was very comfy and the room was big! Great for people with big suitcases. One of the best part is that the bathroom is inside the room. The breakfast was delicious and in the last day of our stay they prepared the breakfast for us, even when we leaved very early in the morning. It is hard to describe what is best in this place: the hospitality of the staff or the warming feelling of staying there.

I would be happy to stay here again.
    • Small Double Room

The bathroom is very small, but that is not something that can be altered. The water was hot, and the towels extra fluffy, which was great.

My room was described as a small double, but was larger than I expected and contained everthing I needed. It was clean, had comfortable bed & bedding, and on a snowy weekend in Edinburgh - nice and warm.

Ok for a short stop over
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

The walls are paper thin which allowed me the not so wanted privilege of sharing the romantic moanings of my neighbours! The front rooms also come with the fabulous and melodic tunes of cars over cobblestone roads throughout the night and early morning....

It was a very handy location and the breakfast included is very good! The hosts were very helpful and accommodating.

A little jewel in Edinburgh.
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

Nothing, it was just what we paid for.

Everything was fantastic at this guest house, a jewel in Edinburgh. We would definitely be recommending here to more people.

Absolutelly the best accomodation we have ever been to.
    • Twin Room with Private External Toilet

Absolutelly the best accomodation we have ever been to. Unbeliaveble clean room, very stylish. Great and friendly stuff and incredibly rich and delicious first-rate breakfast. Highly recommended.

Great place. Good food. Fantastic stay from start to finish

Having to go home.😀

The staff where very friendly and welcoming couldn’t do enought for you even when we arrived early we got offered complemently breakfast while they got are room ready

Would stay here again !!!!

Nothing !!!

Location was excellent , just a few minutes walk from Haymarket train station. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was clean and bed very comfortable.

Cute and homely little guest house
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

Breakfast was great, good range of food to choose from. Hot breakfast was very quick to arrive. it was great and yummy but there was a very dark long hair tucked under fried egg, I didn't tell a staff member but would of been perfect if it weren't for this.

All things considered, the St Valery has to be close to the best value in the Haymarket area

All the snow and construction outside Haymarket Station!!

The attention to detail: accommodation should be accommodating - and The St Valery management are definitely so inclined. See previous comments when asked if there "was anything in particular that set my expectations on the booking.com site?"

Fantastic both in comfort and hospitality . Highly recommend

Nothing not to dislike

Staff excellent and so helpful . Stuck due to adverse weather and they went out of their way to help us . Stayed two extra nights and they allowed us to bring food in for meals as this is breakfast only . Offered to phone people for us and find out about our onward travel . Breakfast excellent and so much choice . Would definatley stay again . So close to haymarket station which was a bonus for us checking trains due to snow . Couldn’t have picked a better place with better staff and room was superb . Highly recommend it .

A very comfortable stay in Edinburgh.

The room is super comfortable and the staffs are very nice and accommodating. Great breakfast, it really made me feel like home. I wished I could've stay longer. This guest house is my favorite stay. Very close to the metro.

Wonderful cousy and princess style rooms!
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

We got bigger room than we expected. Reception girl Ieva was very helpful and friendly. Room and whole interior design of this place is so cousy old style - I love it! Breakfast was really great, our room very clean and big, I like a touch screen mirror in the toilet with lights on it. And it is so close to Haymarket station.

It was fine for our weekend in Edin and located fairly near to where we wanted to be
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

One minor thing - no toilet in room, we had to use one in the hallway. In fairness this was mentioned on the booking form. Value for money is not great - we paid almost 120 pounds per night which felt a little high.

walking distance to centre - about 15 mins. Good breakfast - plenty of choices including kippers, salmon , vegetarian cooked breakfast. Fairly quiet street.

Nice stay!
    • Small Double Room

The staff are very nice and helpful! The room is clean, nice and well equipped(although it’s a bit small). The breakfast is tasty. My stay in this hotel is nearly perfect! I would definitely recommend my friends to here!

This is a lovely, quiet guesthouse with great amenities.

Nothing, everything was good.

This is a lovely, quiet guesthouse with great amenities.The bed was extra comfy. Breakfast was cooked perfectly, lots of choice and presented well with good quality ingredients. The staff are friendly and helpful. If we plan to come to Edinburgh again we will definitely stay here.

I wish I could stay longer!

A very well kept property. The room was clean and comfortable and bigger than I was expecting. The shower was good, breakfast was very good with a large selection and generous portions. I wish I could stay longer. I will make the St Valery my go to when I come to Edinburgh.

What a great place to stay

Beautiful classic Edinburgh house. Great breakfast. Friendly staff. A real pleasure to stay there and surprisingly quiet given it is so close to the centre. Highly recommended .

Charming stay !
    • Small Double Room

No free parking spots around, but that’s all over Edinburgh and has nothing to do with the hotel.

The rooms are very nice and cosy! The staff was also very helpful! Excellent breakfast! We will go back for sure !

A cozy safe haven conveniently located in the city
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

The only issue which was very minor was that there was no high chairs for the little one.

The location excellent,only five minutes walk from Haymarket station for the tram,buses etc to the Airport and city centre. You.l could easily walk to the city too. The room was very clean and cleaned daily. Every morning there was nice spread for breakfast with the option of ordering something hot too.The staff were really nice and friendly and even allowed us get a takeaway one night, always handy when you have a toddler.

Very enjoyable stay,would like to have stayed longer!

The room was very big and nicely furnished. Lovely selection of teas, coffee and biscuits provided in the room,and we were shown where to get more if we needed to. The room was well heated on a very cold day!Perfect.

We have booked a twin room and a triple room.

We have booked a twin room and a triple room. Although the triple room is just so so, the twin room is excellent! Very clean, comfortable with beautiful window view.

Friendly, warm, great value
    • Double Room with Private External Toilet

I wouldn't change a thing.

The staff were very friendly and accommodating, the room had a spare heater and was very comfortable, the breakfast offering was delicious and generous, so overall it was great value for money and a lovely experience.

I did like all about the property.

I did like all about the property. The staff was very kind with us, the breakfast was really really good and it was a huge variety to choose. Our room was amazingly better than we expected: very big, clean, comfortable, elegant and cozy. It was like being at home. We’ll definitely stay here again when we come back to Edinburgh.

Very good except for the TV !!
    • Small Double Room

TV in bedroom was so high up on the wall it was really UNCOMFORTABLE to watch it.

Was leaving before breakfast so receptionist organized a sandwich for me. Much appreciated.

Charming heritage building
    • Twin Room with Private External Toilet

The St Valery was a delightful place to stay - as soon as we arrived we wished we were staying longer! The building is a lovely well maintained Grade II listed heritage building - so no elevators, but they upgraded us to a room on the ground floor (phew, we had heavy suitcases!) The breakfast every day was brilliant, with the choice of continental or cooked. This was a lovely home away from home and so accessible to all of Edinburgh.

This is 2nd time staying at the St Valery 1st time was...

This is 2nd time staying at the St Valery 1st time was during the festival when all hotel rates are more expensive! I cannot fault anything about this hotel. Spacious and spotless rooms and very friendly staff. The breakfast was superb and the price I paid this visit was absolute value for money. This will be my first choice whenever staying in Edinburgh again 😃

I recommend the comfortable St Valery highly.

Nothing. It was all good.

I really enjoyed my stay. The room was clean. spacious, well furnished and very comfortable. The breakfast with the freshly cooked hot food option was first class. Very convenient for Edinburgh Waverley.

Definitely would go back anytime.

Everything was great

Wonderful breakfast, the room was unbelievable as well. We could store our luggage before and after check in. Superb nice staff, always smiling and helping.

A very good place to stay. I have booked to stay at the St. Valery for another few days in August.

There was nothing that I didn't like.

The accommodation was excellent. Nice room, comfortable beds. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice.

We didn’t get the room we booked. We booked on purpose a room which looked way more modern than other ones in this facility. But when we arrived, we got the one on pic attached. Eventhough it haven’t met our expectations, it was really clean and comfy.

Awesome breakfast. Super-friendly staff. Comfy bed. Really nice bathroom. A would visit this place again and recommend it to everyone without any problem.

The location is perfect if you're travelling.

Our room was right next to the entrance and dining room so it was a bit noisy, but it was nothing too concerning.

The location is perfect if you're travelling. It's fairly close to the city center and moreover, it's right next to a railway station and bus stop. The facilities and breakfast were A-OK , especially for what we've paid!

Wonderful stay. I felt welcome and safe and had a great time in Edinburgh.

The location was perfect! 5 min from Haymarket Train Station. Walking to the castle and other sites was very easy. I got rained on the first day and it was nice to have a warm dry room to come back to with a private bathroom where I could hang my wet things.

Exceeding expectations, excellent value for money!

Everything was brilliant, exceeding expectations. Fantastic value for money and a brilliant breakfast. 5 minutes walk from haymarket station but also a lovely 20 minute walk in to centre. Could not recommend this hotel enough!

Excellent value for money !
    • Small Double Room

Excellent double bed, two large bathroom towels, reading lights on both sides of the bed, Tea / Coffee available in the room, superb breakfast choice .... best value for money ever !

The bed was comfortable, room warm but not too hot, good...

The bed was comfortable, room warm but not too hot, good shower, lovely breakfast, friendly and helpful staff, great location for catching the tram, train or taxi. Overall a very good stay and would be delighted to return.

A very good place to stay
    • Small Double Room

We arrived early before the check in time. and the receptionist gladly accepted us and upgraded our room into a family room where in we had a huge spacious room, a bathroom and glamourous bed. We also a very good Breakfast. i will definitely recommend this guest house and if i will be coming back again. Surely this will be my first choice!

Great friendly & helpful staff, 10 mins from Haymarket, lovely breakfast, relaxed cosy atmosphere
    • Small Double Room

the previous person in my room had heated milk in the kettle, the staff rectified the problem immediately and apologised. They were NOT responsible for some guests stupidity.

10 minute walk from Haymarket station Wonderful friendly staff who make you so welcome Very good quality breakfast, nice options available Peaceful room with comfy bed and pillows Spotless, immaculate They kindly accommodated my earlier check in time Great pride and attention to detail with everything they do.

Perfect
    • Small Double Room

No view from basement room and noise from breakfast room at 7.45am above our heads.

Lovely place to stay. Spotless clean. Nice staff. Breakfast was fabulous.

Excellent!

The staff was excellent in every regard. St. Valery has a fine location. The breakfast was excellent. Laundry service is available, well done and same day for 10 Pounds/bag. This is an exceptionally well run B&B.

Simple and very good value for money.
    • Small Double Room

It's just the best value for money you can get in my opinion in Edinburgh. The place is small but the breakfast, price, room, safe, cleanliness and staff are just great. You can't miss it unless you look for a luxury hotel. It's simple and good. I walked every day to the old town which is less then15 minute away. Even an additional radiator was there what I found very good because it was -5 degrees one night.

Great stay, great breakfast...I would definitely come back!

As my room was in the basement there was no view. But as I was out most of the time, this was not a big problem. Sometimes it was kind of cold in the room, although the heat was on.

Great breakfast and the staff is really nice and helpful. You need only 20 minutes from the St. Valery to the Royal Mile by foot or you can use the tram which is even faster. There are lots of restaurants around and the area is really nice.

Pretty excellent all round, and staff in particular are...

The bed was a bit soft. Also, it was 2 beds pushed together rather than a whole double mattress.

Pretty excellent all round, and staff in particular are wonderfully calm, genial and professional.

Great place to stay.

I liked everything.

Everything was very cosy and clean. The hotel is wonderful, staff is amazing and the food delightful. Could not ask for anything else. All was perfect.

We will definitely return and stay at the St. Valery!

The shower was hard to drain - floods quickly.

The croissants were amazing, breakfast options fantastic, the woman who greeted us at reception so thoughtful & ensured our stay was pleasant. Towel heaters were perfect.

Browse The St Valery traveller photo gallery