Reviews of The Sun Hotel & Bar 4 stars

63-65 Church Street, Lancaster, LA1 1ET, United Kingdom

#6 of 22 hotels in Lancaster

• Small Double Room

This was a great place to stay, central to the city, easy walking distance from train and bus stations (we used public transport to get there). Helpful staff, definitely got the feeling nothing would be too much trouble, if they could accommodate any special requests they would. It was a bar as well as an hotel and as such you could eat at anywhere (even your room if you so chose)!

We booked for 2 adults and a child - and paid extra as a result. However the room was small and only fit a double bed.

Nice hotel with great food in the restaurant. Parking facilities not great but located in city Centre so understable.

I miss my evening meal due to the train was delayed and bad weather instead I went to mcdonalds they are open all day and and all night as well

Very good hotel I would like come again in the late summer to try or evening meal thank you

Our room was on a high floor which means it was very hot and stuffy. The window didn’t open very far so we got a fan from reception which we had to run all night. Breakfast was a little shambolic with some of us not getting what we ordered.

The Sun is in the old centre of town and well located for what we wanted to do. It had a lot of character.

• Small Double Room

Parking for one's auto is extremely inconvenient. Nearest Car Park is 4 blocks away and navigating with 1-way streets makes it more difficult. Awkward to load/unload luggage.

A very old historic combination of two old buildings - built atop a ship-frame from time of the Spanish Armada and that above an old Roman Road - brings history of old Lancaster City to life. But then one has to appreciate fine old antiques, ghosts of the past, etc. to love these accommodations the way we did. Post-modernists best choose some modern chain hotel.

• Luxury Twin Room

What a realy nice friendly hotel and bar. Food was amazing really delicious I had the best Rib Eye steak cooked exactly how I wanted it. Great Ales and fab Gin's. Rooms were lovely and roomy, bed very comfortable. Great Hotel and bar, we will definitely be making a return trip

• Small Double Room

The bathroom could have been a bit cleaner. Overall it was quite clean but there was a lack of attention to detail as there were pots with cotton wool and cotton buds in the bathroom and some of the cotton buds had been used and put back in as they were black or brown which I presumed was from make up.

The bed was very comfy and provided a good nights sleep. The room was small and compact but had everything needed and was very cosy. I loved that the tea and coffee came in little tins and there was the option to make a properly brewed coffee in a cafetière. I presumed the coffee was from the local coffee shop ‘Atkinsons’. The staff were friendly and explained everything to us and allowed us to leave our bag for the day after checking out. The location of the hotel is great and it is right in the heart of Lancaster. We got the train and it’s only a couple of minutes walk. This does however mean that it was quite noisy at night with students and others out and about but a set of ear plugs can sort that out.

• Luxury Double Room

The bar staff were very young and inexperienced but nothing that training could not sort out.

From the outside this hotel looked ordinary, inside it was a little gem. The rustic feel to the hotel made for a very relaxed experience, the food was fab, very tasty and exactly what I ordered (unlike most hotels I stay in). The bedroom was unreal value for money and I would definitely come back to stay. The little bits of history and stories behind various parts of the hotel were great.

I actually managed it to breakfast somehow and asked for egg benedict which had hard poached eggs and some grim cheesy like hollandaise sauce on.

Stayiong at the Sun Inn is always a pleasurable experience, the staff are great and friendly with the rooms clean and smart.

• Small Double Room

Shower in room was weak and cramped. Despite being on the second floor the room was so noisy at night I hardly slept. You could hear everything in the street. If you book direct with the hotel instead of Booking.com you get a free breakfast for the same price, which was slightly irritating.

Good location, really nice bar and friendly staff.

• Small Double Room

I was dissapointed that we were given a room on the top floor(no lift)when there was a sign in the window advertising room vacancies.As we were only staying a couple of nights,I did not bother to complain.

The bedroom was fine

• Small Double Room

Breakfast is awful! We ordered full English and veggie one, which both are really disappointing. Price for one night stay is not that cheap either. Really small room. Try to book it at the last minute, may get better offer.

Staff are friendly and helpful. Great location. A nice bar to have a drink.

During our stay we were evacuated from the room for a gas leak scare, but it turned out there was no gas leak, after this disturbance to our sleep we were then kept awake by a couple arguing extremely loudly in the room across from us, we heard glass smashing also, tried to use the room telephone to call the reception and the phone wasn't connected and I couldn't find a power source for it, I then called the emergency night staff mobile number ;using my own phone, in the welcome pack and the lady on the other end pretended I had called a wrong number! After I told the manager in the morning she said it was the old night managers number; which is no good to anyone. They gave us a free breakfast but after a night of no sleep it ruined our weekend away and instead of having the nice day out we planned we went home to get some sleep. Disappointing as we'd booked time off work to stay here.

The hotel was located in the city centre which was great and the staff were very friendly

• Luxury Double Room

Breakfast could be included in the total price when booking through a third party for the first time to encourage return bookings.

Spaciously clean and quiet room in a central location convenient for all local amenities. No free parking but access to a secure pay car park literally minutes away. Will definitely return when visiting Lancaster again.

• Small Double Room

Everything was lovely but for some reason the carpet was damp in places and the caffetieter was dirty.

Beautiful location, helpful staff, they found a space to store my bicycle and they heated up my shop bought soup when I missed their dining hours :)

• Suite

Great location - 400m from station and in the centre of town. Efficient & friendly staff. Best boiled egg & soldiers ever and the lunchtime specials were to die for. Highly recommend the suite for comfort and being able to work. Great nights sleep too!

• Small Double Room

The room was small especially the bathroom and was on the top floor. Shower was a bit weak and difficult to control temperature wise. The room cost did not include Breakfast which was not clear on the booking. parking is not great.

The room was clean and tidy and the bar looked nice.

• Small Double Room

There were some very noisy late night guests staying in adjoining rooms to mine - woke me up at 2am for the next hour and a half. Staff attitude was hit and miss, some very attentive, some not bothered.

Comfy room had everything I needed in it and there was a separate entrance from the busy pub downstairs. Fabulous breakfast

• Suite

I booked the suite room because it had a bath, unfortunately no hot water which was disappointing to say the least. The manager came and tried to sort out but couldn’t and wasn’t sure why no hot water. She offered us 10 % off our room or free breakfast. We do t generally eat breakfast so opted to take the 10%. On further inspection while brushing my teeth , the sink was filling up to the top! I removed the plug and it looked like it has never been cleaned ever!! The bathroom was lovely but very dusty. I did mention this too and cheekily said maybe you need a new cleaner,, was told maybe they do. We spent £95 for this room so you expect cleanliness to be the best.

The room we stayed in was lovely ,, spacious and had all we needed. Staff very accommodating.

Nothing - perfection!

I can’t rate this little place high enough - perfect from start to finish. Great staff, fantastic room, excellent food and local award winning ales!

• Small Double Room

The shower was quite weak in regards to the amount of water but it was still a really nice shower.

Bed was comfortable, staff were helpful and friendly. The room was warm and I had no issues with anything.

can't think of anything,

the hotel as a whole was very comfortable as were the staff, the room & bed very comfy, very easy to find & 2 , minute walk for shopping,

Reception is off the main bar so when it's busy there could potentially be a bit of a scrum to get there. That said I never had a problem.

Old world charm, but all the modern features expected. Friendly staff and a great location.

• Small Double Room

There is no lift so if you are carrying big bags be prepared for some workout climbing all those stairs. The room in its self was small and lacked space. The bar downstairs can get loud in the weekends.

The staff were friendly. The location was not too bad. The bar downstairs was good but got really loud on the weekends.

• Luxury Double Room

We paid £75 for our room and it was absolutely amazing, when we got into our room we both spoke about how people would normally pay up to £150 to stay in a room as lovely as we got, so so so so so impressed once again, we have stayed 4 times already and have never been disappointed, the food is amazing, the staff are so hardworking and lovely and the rooms are beyond amazing, definitely recommend coming here for a getaway, we will be returning VERY soon.

• Small Double Room

Not a very warm welcome from the staff member who initially showed us round and gave us the keys. Seemed abit bossy and condensending about rules and regulations, felt more like an annoyed teacher on a school trip. Other than that most of the bar staff lovely.

The bed was extra comfy and the room very cosy for the price we paid.

• Small Double Room

The room is small and have difficulty to move around in the room even for 2 persons. There’s a bar downstairs and going in and out from the hotel at night need to go through those drinkers 😬

The staffs are attentive and polite

• Small Double Room

No-one's fault, but the recommended car park is hard to find before you get to the hotel if you don't know the town, so we ended up going twice round the one way system.

The room was a small double, but plenty big enough for an overnight stop . Comfortable bed, fresh white sheets and towels, nice toiletries, good coffee and tea making kit. But best of all very helpful and friendly staff.

• Luxury Double Room

The car park recommended was awful. Difficult to park in and very expensive. However, this was not the fault of the hotel. Recommend the long stay car park by the theatre.

The staff were lovely. Very accommodating! The food was also delicious!

• Luxury Double Room

Great overnight stay at the Sun Hotel. We had a deluxe double room on the 2nd floor which was very comfortable with a great super-king size bed and large flat screen TV. The bathroom had a very good shower and brand new towels were provided. The bar area is very cosy and the choice of cask ales was excellent. Food looked very nice too but we didn't eat here during our one night break. The location is a bonus being in the heart of the city centre (we travelled by train). Would definitely book here again if staying in Lancaster.

• Small Double Room

For the size of the room, the hotel is quite expensive.

The hotel staff were extremely accommodating. I needed an early check in so to attend an event and they were incredibly helpful in allowing that to happen.

• Suite

I was awoken early in the morning by some sort of banging and drilling upstairs. And the room was way to hot and no way of cooling it down. I feel like paying a premium price for a room should be met with premium service. Maybe the work that was being done should have been mentioned before I booked?

The room was clean and tidy and well presented as in the pictures. I was told I could check in early but when I arrived I felt like it was abit of a problem. The member of staff did manage to get me in my suite in the time I preferred as I was surprising my girlfriend, just a shame about the service that followed.

Parking was a bit of a pain, having to head to the Parksafe (over the road, but not particularly cheap!).

Historic hotel in the heart of Lancaster. A friendly welcome with extremely helpful and professional staff. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. The food in the pub downstairs was excellent, with a great choice of real ale! Very handy location. Recommended!

• Small Double Room

The WiFi internet was very poor. The room I was in was quite noisy too, the bin trucks kept waking me up without fail every morning at 6/7am. It also would have been nice to have the option to add breakfast into my booking, you have to book with them directly to get this. However I was only told this on arrival.

Location was good, very close to shops and restaurants. Rooms kept very clean. Staff are friendly.

• Small Double Room

I was not particularly impressed with the breakfast. We were told that it was cooked to order, but it arrived cold/tepid and we did not receive the toast order. Waitress was busy but not particularly attentive.

• Luxury Twin Room

We are in the 3rd floor but no lift. No wardrobe, no space for hanging up our clothes. Bit noisy at night as it's located in bar area. In fact, the hotel is doing bar and cafe service as well.

The bed and pillow are clean and comfort. This is a room fit for 3 persons, with 1 king bed and 1 single bed. The bathroom is spacious and tidy. Good location.

• Small Double Room

The bed was a bit lumpy and the mattress did really need replacing. Additionally, the outer, wooden framed sash window was very heavy and a bit difficult to close. Frustrating there is no parking on site.

The staff were very pleasant, the rooms were clean and modern. The wifi was free and very fast. Dinner in the bar was high quality and very reasonably priced. The bedding was clean and there were a wide range of accessories (hairdryer, fan etc.) provided.

The coffee was fresh coffee but would also have appreciated instant coffee and a couple of bottles of water and some more biscuits.

Friendly staff and welcome. Good location and checking out at 11.00 a.m. suits us very well.

• Small Double Room

Not the hotel's responsibility per se but there are no parking facilities. I used the Parksafe car park across the road, which was a two minute walk but be aware that you may want to take into account the extra cost of this (£15 cost for me from 8pm-3pm the following day)

friendly and helpful staff. The room was very clean, the bed was very comfortable and temperature of the room was good. There were excellent tea and coffee facilities in the room and decent, real wine glasses were on hand, which is a rare find in a hotel room. I only stayed for one night and didn't arrive until 8pm but I had a very comfortable stay. I didn't experience breakfast. The dinner menu looked varied and had I arrived a little earlier the night before, I would have sampled a meal.

We booked what we thought was the room showed on the website next to the price. This quite spacious room was nothing like the tiny 'box room' we ended up in. At £105 per night for a room you couldn't swing a cat in was extortionate. We won't be back.

• Luxury Double Room

No on site parking and lots of stairs. Ok for me but my husband found it difficult.

Big comfortable bed.very clean and great location.good breakfast and helpfull staff.

Delighted with accommodation and lovely friendly bar serving a variety of different alcoholic and soft drinks. Good selection of home cooked food and bar snacks.

• Luxury Double Room

The bed was very uncomfortable with a huge divet in the middle of the mattress - I do have a picture of this if it is disputed by the hotel management. We mentioned this on check out perhaps expecting an apology, or an offer to come an inspect the room with us so we could point out this issue - instead we got a very defensive response ('all mattresses were replaced last year' - well that's either a lie, someone has damaged it since the replacement, or you want your money back) and a dismissive look. This was a blonde lady who looked to be a supervisor or manager of some description. Disgusting attitude, & didn't even ask us how our stay was, which made it awkward for us to raise the mattress issue in the first place.

The bar & restaurant was very nice (notwithstanding the fact there was a 5 man brawl in the bar on the Saturday night) & the rooms were a reasonable standard. I say reasonable because the room was not cheap, so that has a baring on your expectations.

Bar was noisy on a busy Friday night possibly because of the stone and brick walls.

Central location. Traditional building. Lovely room. Helpful well trained staff.

• Luxury Double Room

I always try to book The Sun when staying in Lancaster. It has a good atmosphere, is informal but well run, and has an understated self-assuredness that gives me confidence.

• Luxury Double Room

That we couldn't stay longer.

Absolutely loved our stay.Room was lovely and bed was so comfortable.Staff were really lovely and friendly couldn't have asked for more.

• Luxury Twin Room

There was no lift and access to room was up several flights of stairs. I must have missed that when I looked at hotel or it was not fully explained. My sister has mobility problems.

Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Small Double Room

Parking is at a public lot next to the bus station. Use the app on your phone to add time as needed.

Beautiful, modern and spotless rooms at a great price.

• Luxury Double Room

I booked the hotel because it said they have parking, but in fact you have to park on the multistory opposite which cost us an extra £17.00. They also told us that breakfast would have been included had we booked directly from their website.

Large room, well equipped with tea, coffee, dvd player. Good location.

• Luxury Double Room

The bed was very uncomfortable and had a massive dip in my side. Hardly slept. Plus very noisey first thing in morning. Not sure if this was cleaners moving furniture to clean.

The restaurant has so many different areas.great vibe. Although we didn't eat here the food looked very good and tasty. Staff were accommodating and we got into our room a lot earlier.

This property was ideally located for what we wanted in the central and easy to find. However no parking facilities on site, but had to use the carpark across the road. This is a secure car park and our car was safe, so worth the money paid for peace of mind. Town can be a bit rowdy on Saturday nights. Staff was very pleasant and facilities good and drinks reasonably priced.

We were told on arrival, if we had booked directly, rather than from you we would have had breakfast on both mornings included in the room price!!!!

Lovely room, but there was a definite slope on the floor (this was before we sampled the excellent selection of beers in the bar!). Excellent location. Parking is non existent, but there is a multi storey car park 2 minutes walk away which cost about £26 for the weekend. Staff were lovely and friendly. Our kettle did not work on Sunday morning so we had 2 cups of coffee delivered to the room free of charge.

• Luxury Double Room

Breakfast poor and expensive portions very small for the price in comparison with other hotels

Size of room and decor nice location of room quiet good menu for dinner

• Luxury Double Room

Excellent and friendly staff - food was great for breakfast and also the lunch and supper we had there. Great location in the centre of Lancaster!

• Luxury Twin Room

Room very hot so needed window open at night but location meant lots of drunken noise from surrounding bars and clubs in early hours of the morning which meant a lack of sleep

Room clean. Staff friendly. Breakfast good

• Luxury Double Room

I didn't like the fact that there was no bath in the room ,and the bed was soft with a dip on one side of it .

the staff were very friendly and helpful , .The food was very good and good valve for money .

• Luxury Double Room

No parking No breakfast Little in the way of luxury e.g fresh flowers plants biscuits nibbles etc The staff said we should have booked direct as this included breakfast - I thought it was included in the deal that I bought . The decor is a little drab and needs updating Car parking should be subsidised for guests

Room was quiet and near to the car park

• Luxury Double Room

We requested a quiet room but we were awoken at 7.15 am with someone tipping lots and lots of empty bottles from the bar into a metal bin! We were in room 17 with a view of a solid wall and nothing else. This made the room dark. No fresh air as windows would not open. Supplied with a tall electric fans which didn't work! Shower door fell off its hinges twice. On checking out the person who seems to be in charge (long blonde hair) was extremely rude and clever for no reason as we didn't complain about anything although we certainly could have!

Very large comfy bed. Decor was quite nice.

The parking was hard to find as town is one way system and if you miss it you have to go right around again, the turning is on left past street entry to hotel then sharp left.

The hotel was typical old worldly pub,it had been refurbished so was quite fresh, my only thoughts on room would not stay fresh for long .

• Luxury Twin Room

The hotel is a very old building, interesting and historical, which I liked. It is very convenient for the railway station and the centre of town. The hotel and room were very clean and well apportioned. The breakfast menu was very good. My porridge wasn't particularly nice, but my sister enjoyed her Eggs Benedict. The TV and telephone didn't work in our room at first, but I was able to get a member of staff who came immediately and fixed it. I left my phone charger behind but this was posted on as soon as I rang, which I appreciated very much. Altogether, a good stay.

• Small Double Room

room smelled always of cooking fat (from the kitchen), loud noises from ventilation outside and from beergarden till late into night, door needed very hard shove to open/close, window opened just 4 inch, room tiny, hardly enough space to walk around the bed, shower was difficult to operate and needs a user manual, shower changed temperature and was too hot or too cold, wifi not working in room, all problems were told several times to different staff members, sometimes it took much too long until breakfast could be ordered although it was not busy at all

Good breakfast - hot food freshly cooked to order as well as cereal, juice and fruit on hand. We had a lovely evening meal in the pub. Secure car-park a 2 minute walk away. Friendly staff. We were on the 3rd level which was fine for us. If you have any issues climbing stairs there are no lifts.

The staff were very helpful at the Sun Hotel. We had a very large comfortable bed and were impressed by the proximity of nearby safe parking for our motorbike (as advised by the hotel by e-mail when we enquired about parking when we booked our stay). Lovely lunch, too.

We were almost told off on arrival that we booked through Booking.com as that would mean we wouldn't get breakfast included. They should offer this on Booking.com as an option rather than tell guests off for the way they have booked a room - especially as that room was the last one left!

Some noise from the street at night on the weekend, but this is a consequence of the excellent location in city centre.

Location and breakfast were excellent! Short walking distance from the train station.

• Luxury Twin Room

No lift. We arrived on Saturday. My family had a room at The Sun but I couldn't get a room there so had to stay elsewhere. I moved to The Sun on Sunday. We were taking a day trip to Lake District that day so I had to reach and leave The Sun early in the morning. The staff wasn't available yet, so I had to lug my luggage up by myself to the second floor where my family was staying. On other days, the staff were able to help me with the luggage, but it was always subject to whether they were free at that time because they doubled up as kitchen staff, etc. I always got a slight sense that I was making it rather inconvenient for them whenever I asked them to help with the luggage. The beds were awfully uncomfortable and the rinsing cup in the bathroom was very filthy.

Excellent location. Right in the centre of the city.

• Luxury Double Room

The mattress on the bed was lumpy and uncomfortable for my wife especially with her back problems.

Great shower. Nice room overall. Breakfast was tasty

• Luxury Twin Room

No car parking on site, but what could anyone do about that?

Excellent city centre location. Spacious room with very comfortable bed and large bathroom. Good sociable atmosphere throughout. Décor in keeping with the age of the building, stylish rustic. All meals freshly prepared and delish.....

• Luxury Double Room

Very rude staff when trying to book a room directly at the reception. But happy I managed via booking.com, and far cheaper then offered when approached the reception in person.

Enjoyed the size of the deluxe double room, strong WiFi, free movies, real tea and coffee (not the usual Nescafe)

Bathroom was a little tight on space, but plenty of hot water. Had noisy neighbor one night, although that is not hotel's fault.

Hotel is in a terrific location in Lancaster - close to the train station and various attractions.Staff was wonderful; excellent breakfast, which came with our reservation. We stayed in a deluxe double, which was definitely worth the higher rate because the room was large and had a comfortable couch. Our request to have a room in a quiet location was met, and we were not on the street side of the hotel, which was noisy at night.

• Luxury Twin Room

Does anybody in the world want two twin beds in a room? Also, inevitably, it's a long way up narrow stairs, especially hauling a suitcase not really designed for lifting.

Beautifully accessorized and designed space. Terrific food, friendly and helpful staff.

Bedroom was on top floor and very hot. Would have been good to have had a choice of lighter bedding.

Good restaurant onsite and a lovely garden bar. Staff very nice, including carrying luggage up the stairs.

Set in a great pub, with excellent food and drink along with friendly staff. I left some clothing in room after leaving and it was returned to me within a day without charge .great service and a great place in stay in a nice area

The rooms are in a historic bar which I believe had Grade I historical status, so there are no elevators to the upper floors if you have mobility issues or heavy bags. We stayed on a Friday night so expect noise from the bar until 1am. But with all the firewalls, my perception was that the noise level was minimal. The bar/hotel is in the city centre which is a shopping/entertainment district so don't be surprised at the level of activity on a weekend.

Our suite was spectacular. There is a wall-mounted TV for the bed, and another for the sitting area to the side. There is a footed tub behind the bed (separated by a partition) and a separate bathroom with shower. My wife loved this room. There are a lot of places to eat within just a few blocks, and the movie theater (Vue) was about 1 block away. Although the hotel has zero parking, the Lancaster Parksafe is just 1 block away under the castle. We arrived about 5:30 pm Friday and left about 10 am Saturday and I paid 10 pounds 40 pence for the parking. Breakfast was delightful including a variety of cold entries and special order for hot foods. We turned in our hot breakfast order the night before for 9 am and the food came out precisely on schedule.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

• Small Double Room

Only stayed 1 night, wish we had stayed longer.

Fabulous location, very friendly staff abfmd great meals. Room a little small but did not distract from our overall wonderful experience. Would highly recommend the hotel.

Browse The Sun Hotel & Bar traveller photo gallery