Reviews of The Swan Hotel

6.1

5.9

6.1

5.6

The hotel is in need of a good revamp throughout - it states its been recently revamped, how? The room we stated in was in a bad state of repair, jagged edges from the tiles in the bathroom, holes in the floor you can feel under the carpet. The floors were dirty and the pictures had been screwed onto the wall? I travel a lot and I've never seen anyone screw their photos on the wall... The entrance to the rear which we were told to use is extremely hard to find, we struggled finding it after coming back late at night only to find out the front door was left open anyway? If this is the case, why not tell your guests this so they don't waste time trying to find the concealed entrance?

The lady at the bar that greeted us was nice and friendly. The bed linen was clean and the room was fairly spacious.

This place was poor no English plugs. Lightbulbs missing. Lamp bulbs missing. No free WiFi as advertised. No parking as ordered. Breakfast poor second day breakfast chief had to be called in because we paid for two nights . Shower didn't work properly.

Nothing it was appalling I would not recommend this hotel

The Swan is a little tired in its decoration in the bedrooms and bedrooms corridor.

Fantastic central Hythe location but very quiet location. The hotel also has a car park which is unusual for the town centre. Very clean rooms.

We booked for breakfast but nobody turned up to prepare it in the morning so we had to go out and find a cafe. Also we went for the option of booking a reserved parking space but when we arrived the small car park was packed and we were told it was on a first come first served basis.

Hythe is a lovely location and the high street has plenty to offer

I was only there for 1 night. BUT I couldn't find any fault with the property.

It's 5 minutes from the Beach very friendly staff and the room was a very nice size.

Less loud music. Young people taking over the bar area. The notice in the bar window saying the premises are under review by the council. Watching drug deals happening in the bar and best of all... Being bit by a dog in the bar area for no reason and having to run out for my safety

Great restraint and staff

• Family Room

The staff on check in were rude and for the cost to stay I was extremely disappointed!

The place was a cheap hotel fine for passing through but not somewhere to stay as a destination!

The beside lights didn't always work.

There was a communication problem aboutique the firsts mornings breakfast however they kindly compensated us for their mistake by proving a free breakfast the following day. The staff were all very helpful and our evening meal (curry) was delicious and good value for money.

My partner booked this room for us to get a few hours sleep before our ferry crossing in the early hours of the morning. Having driven from the south of Cornwall after work and arriving late at night, we were extremely disappointed with our room. The first thing we noticed was the smell of cigarettes, caused by the single glazed window which was broken and so did not close. Secondly, there were men working until midnight on the road outside, using ridiculously loud equipment, and thirdly, the smokers from the bar downstairs were right outside our window, so getting any sleep was virtually impossible! And finally the mattress felt like a plank of wood - definitely the worst bed I have ever slept on! I didn’t even think they made beds like these! I contacted the hotel via email to request a refund due to us not actually being able to sleep or have any sort of comfort, but have just been ignored. Appalling lack of customer service! I genuinely feel sorry for anybody else who books this place and hope that my review will warn people off booking at The Swan!

It was a little stuffy

Value for money! Great big room, breakfast & in a beautiful area, just a stone throw away from the sea. The hotel is over 150 years old, and has lovely old features.

Very cramped car park with old mattresses and an old van taking up two of the 6 spaces. Generally shabby exterior: paint peeling, window in bathroom didn't close properly.

Central location.

Difficulty entering the premises, complete confusion as to allocated room. We booked for breakfast but we were unable to get into the hotel proper, there were apparently no staff on the premises, in spite of knocking on the door to gain access and ringing reception no one had appeared by 9 am so we gave up rang Booking.com to complain then left keys in room door and left.

Not a lot to like except bed was comfortable and linen fresh and of good quality, likewise the towels and the room was clean.

It was extremely cold at the time especially the bathroom there was only one small panel heater in the bedroom to cover both rooms. As a consequence I didn’t showe till I got home ( too cold )

Cheap and comfortable accommodation

No toilet rolls not replaced had to go and ask No clean towels They don’t emty bins And don’t clean or top up coffee teas milks Room cold took 2 days to say chill of air Wind coming though window Manger never there and once there not helpful No car park was reserved but I booked it

Breakfast over the road Same price but not dry or uncooked Sausages

The breakfast was terrible. It was probably cooked earlier and kept warm in the oven. There was no egg option, it came up scrambled and was not fresh. The toast was burnt, cold and rock hard. The orange juice was watered down. We could have got a better breakfast in a cafe in the high street. Did not feel comfortable having a drink at the bar as some of the punters were a bit rowdy.

The room was clean, bed comfortable. The bathroom was also clean with some added toiletries.

all staff extremely helpful very polite, room clean, will be booking again, the restaurant serves great food, breakfast is also great, looks after their beers best guinness i've had in ages. great base for sightseeing.

Nothing at this price.

Very clean and comfortable. We stayed before a Eurotunnel crossing. It's just ideal for this. It's a brilliant restaurant too.

Accsess to rooms was down some difficult brick steps to a rear door from car park told we could not be breckfast as no one available no information book in room would not stay again

Was clean and comfortable

• Family Room

Carpets could do with a clean. Bathroom window broken. Noisy in the morning. No one around for check out at 10am. Door between bedrooms and main building didn't open and back entrance to main building locked. Heater in room quite dangerous.

Comfey clean bed. Clean towels provided. Old lovely building. Good location.

• Family Room

There were no staff members about when we left in the morning so we were unsure where to leave the key

A very simple hotel but in a good location with friendly staff. We only wanted a place to stay the night before travelling to France. Perfect for what we needed Thank you!

• Family Room

The wife paid for the room the morning she left on her card, two days later I was charged on my card as well, some 4 weeks later now , numerous phone calls and promises of a call back have resulted in no refund yet. Shocking customer service would ot use again because of that

A little bit cold in the room.

All good for one night . Great location for Eurotunnel or Dover port. We could take our dog with us (had to pay extra) . Very positive experience

Old, dated and sparse. The room reminded me of staff accomodation when I used to work and live in hotels many years ago, the room was cold but this was probably due to the force 9 gale coming through the window frame, the small tv in the room made a good ornament as it was not connected to an aerial so obviously was just there for show, the bedside lamps were touch one's but they made my fingers tingle when I touched them so I didn't dare touch them more than once!!!!! There was no reception desk so when I wanted to check out the next morning at 08.00 I had to leave the key with the cleaner (who spoke little English) as the manager wouldn't be around until 10.00. I would never ever stay there again and wouldn't ever recommend it to anyone else. If I hadn't arrived soo late at the "hotel" I would have looked for somewhere else to stay for the night!!!

Nothing!!!!

Staff didn't have a clue what was going on, to the point where I was asked to speak to the manager on the phone. Tottaly unorganized and chaotic. All very untastefull. Kept on finding proplems. Paid 221 pound. Wouldn't even pay 30. Would defiantly say there is better value in the area.

I liked that the town center is on your doorstep

No one manager to talk to.

When I arrived the reception was the bar of the pub. Girl gave New a key. I asked about breakfast that I was prompted to do via booking.com. I was told there were no breakfast facilities!. The only other person I spoke to who I believe was employed by the hotel was polish. I asked how I would get a rebate re the breakfast I had booked? He could not understand me. To enter the bar one had to go through an Indian restaurant to get out? Very weird set up. Also the door to get out of the restart looked like part of the wall again a bit weird! Fortunately there was not a fire else I would have been lost.

Despite us being expected & the temperature was just 3c there was no heat on in the room. The radiator did not work & the replacement oil radiator was pathetic.

The hotel had no idea we were coming and I had to show them the booking confirmation. We were given a room, but the bathroom was unclean, both toilet and sink and the room generally was worn and a little shabby. The fire detector was hanging off the ceiling and there were used tissues inside the night desk draw. We didn’t bother with a shower as we weren’t sure it would stay in the wall. Extractor fan wasn’t working and the hot water tap was loose. It was cheap enough, so OK for one night, but I was glad to get away. In the morning, we were unable to get into the restaurant/bar area as there was nobody in there. It was 8 am. We were just about to leave the key on the stairs when somebody came in from the car park. It’s not great.

Bed slightly hard but that is due to personal preference. Single glazed windows so slight chill and noise.

Location was good, reasonable price for what you get and it's easy to access at anytime and free parking.

The heater on our room was broken and the window didn't close properly and it was freezing in the room. We couldn't find anybody to report this too. The small oil filled rad wasn't enough to heat the room and there were no extra blankets.

Location. Big towels. Bed comfy.

Awkward access to rooms A tired pub/hotel Difficult/unusual way to exit and leave in the morning

Bed and room facilities ok OK for a cheap one night stay

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Little bit cold but fine.

Staff, building, location, price, atmosphere, safety, very good place, old building which I guess is listed so no double glazing but that’s what we like!! A piece of history with exceptional staff and food in a really stunning location:) will definitely stay again!!!

The bathroom, while perfectly clean and equipped with soap etc, was in need of renovation.

It is an interesting old building right in the middle of Hythe, which is worth a return visit to explore in more detail. The welcome was warm and the staff friendly and helpful. The Indian restaurant which is part of the pub was excellent. The menu offered a la carte and Thalis - complete meals from different parts of India served in small dishes on a stainless steel tray. The accommodation met our needs for a clean warm room for an overnight stay en route to a Channel crossing in the morning.

I booked this for £28.61 and they charged me £40 . When speaking to the manager he shouted at me rudely down the phone. Paper thin noisy walls drafty window Dirty room Unfriendly staff

The staff unfriendly, I was told one of the rooms was above the pub and noise wouldn’t stop until 11:00lm when I asked for another room as we had two year old with us he point blank said no. The room where dirty, the duvet thin, the bins where dirty, walls have paint peeling of them, there was only two plugs in the room which had vital items such as heater and kettle plugged into!! The bathroom wa dirty and shower facilities very poor

nothing about the hotel at all

No hot water from the shower, cold bathroom, the toilet was covered in excrement, the electric fuse box was hanging off the wall, the kettle did not work, their is no separate hotel reception or receptionist and I had to leave the key the lock of my room to check out as the reception is not open at 6am!

Not a lot to be honest

Took far too long for hot water, bedroom cold , heater not working, did not have breakfast as was told when asked that no other guest had ordered breakfast so felt guilty at making him get staff in for us so declined and went elsewhere .

Bed was ok

Where do I start we had Rooms number 8 and 9 Room 8 the shower 🚿 did not work Room 9 The one table light did not work we only had a ceiling light worked and we had to get out of bed to turn out the light before going to sleep the over the bath shower the 🚿 head was all gunged up we had to clean it before using the shower and there was no bath anti slip safety mat the bath surface when wet was like an ice rink I and my room-mate both had slips when showering

The staff very friendly and helpful

The bathroom, no hot water in the basin and the shower packed up. Also the heater packed up but we were immediately supplied with a mobile radiator.

The restaurant is brilliant

Poor service Reception & breakfast room closed till 10.am. Serious safety issues with sash windows..some of the rooms appliances not working. No one around to raise issues. When finally raised issues.was Met with contempt. Issue not resolved!!!

• Family Room

i´d hope to find a bed for one night with 2 dogs. the room was booked for 3 persons but it suffice only for 2 persons max. The bed was clean but the other things are dirty, the kettle was broken, the walls wet no chance to take your clothes off, the window could not be closed and the other guests are noisy through the night long. it did´nt get breakfast because its too early for the owner for one breakfast 2 Dogs cost 20 GBP added per night

there was´nt something positiv at this hotel

Being greeted by a used and un flushed toilet, hot water tap not working and unable to run a hot bath, car park too small for onsite parking, (space for five cars)After cleaning the toilet, we had a nice cup of tea and ag. In fairness we did check in very late and there is parking in the street behind the hotel

Receptionist was polite, room was spacious, bed comfortable

The car park was littered with uncollected rubbish, we almost didn't stop the car. The bed was hard, the pillows were inadequate, anyone over 5'6" would have to be a contortionist to use the shower and in the morning we couldn't find anyone to unlock and let us out at the front. A delivery van gave up and drove away. Not a good experience.

Convenient

• Family Room

It was a little noisy from outside due to the gaps from the old windows to the high street.

The location was great and a nice large room so the kids could also have a ben each

Needs a lot of TLC

Run down, which is a shame for the location in the town. The area is well worth a visit. Must say the stay was at a bargain price, however our room was just above the smoking area so very noisy (even through the night)

We hadn't booked breakfast, but when we arrived we were told by, what we were told later was a temporary worker who didn't know the hotel policy, that it was served between 8.30-9.30 and actually showed us a menu - we said we'd be down at about 9; when we arrived everything was locked, and when we rang the emergency number someone said she'd contact the staff - no show - eventually we walked round to the front and knocked on the door, to be met by the manager who opened the door, said he was working on his own, and that, as we hadn't ordered breakfast originally via Booking.com, there wasn't any! When we pointed out that in every other hotel we'd ever been to you could 'change your mind' as and when we needed to, he said that we couldn't here! We expressed our displeasure, but no food in a pub/restaurant! The chap was quite friendly, but this is just not on. Further to that, on the first night, I arrived back to the hotel at about 11pm, to find it closed, and the door locked. I rang the only phone number I had, only to hear it ringing out the other side of the locked door. Fortunately my mate had gone back earlier, so I rang him, and by a rather circuitous process he managed to find that there is a back door which is left open all night - No-one had told us this on arrival! Not the worst place I've stayed in, but the hotel should make it's rather eccentric 'policies' much more apparent on their website, so others don't suffer these somewhat Pythonesque problems.

Room fine and roomy, with tea making facilities, and bed ok - plenty of plug sockets/lights.

Its a little faded and run down in places but still worth a stay for the charm of it being a little hotel instead of a featureless chain

Convenient for the Channel Tunnel and lovely location. Charming old Hotel, The Indian restaurant on site is excellent.

The bedroom, we booked breakfast but along with at least 3 other rooms there was no breakfast at all and no access to have breakfast and no staff available to help.

Not much

I was in a front room so could hear a lot of the noise from the high street. I would have expected double glazing at least to try and stop the noise.

It was close to local amenities and was a good price. Has a good restaurant.

We could not shower as water didn't come through. The shower head was absolutely filthy and full of mildew (see photo). One of the single beds didn't have a duvet cover - only a sheet wrapped around it. We ordered breakfast but when we went down for it at about 8.30 there was no-one around and it was in darkness. No breakfast!! We never did see anyone again although we tried. We left at 9.45. Unfortunately we paid for our stay on arrival!

Good location in centre of High Street.

Room was very dirty, spiderwebs everywhere, shower head was black of mould. Really needs refurbishment and cleaning

Close to the eurotunnel train station

Staffing. Lack of Breakfasts. Rear access from Car Park unwelcoming - steep steps - rubbish lying around. Weird lighting in room. No towel rails in bathroom. Toilet took too long to refill. Bed minimum double bed size.

Check in was OK, once we found our name in the register and pointed it out to the guy at the bar/reception. However, there was no info regarding the supposed Wifi. The car park was a bit tight but OK, though there were loose paving and slippery steps to access the building. Communal area/hallway leading to room had a bit of a funny smell..... difficult to describe...somewhere between mildew and dry cleaning fluid! Unfortunately we didn't check the shower and it was only in the morning that we discovered it didn't work (only provided a trickle of luke warm water).

The room itself was clean and comfortable. Overall for one night it was adequate, however I wouldn't rush back.

Having to wait 15-20 mins at the bar because they never had enough staff working and then being told by the manager that his locals are used to waiting

Room size

1) booked twin room , offered a double took 20 mins to rectify 2) added breakfast to booking sunday , hotel unaware.

good location , comfortable bed.nice curry served in restaurant.

Used this hotel as a stop off prior to catching early Eurotunnel train so not having an inclusive breakfast was ideal. Clean, basic accommodation but good value for money.

The frontage of the hotel needs freshened up with a lick of paint. Signage for the hotel part needs to be improved as it was not clear where you went. The car park was quite small so if the hotel was busy you might not get your car parked. The water pressure was quite weak so you didn't get a refreshing shower in the morning. The toilet bowl in our bathroom was leaking but when we reported it on checking out we got the impression that this was already known.

Room was very clean - bedding fresh and clean. Tea and coffee facilities were available. Room was nice and big. Bed was very comfortable. Glad we got car parked in the car park because on street parking was a nightmare

I apparently wasn't eligible for breakfast. Restaurant was closed Sunday pm. Shower, bedside lamp & tv didn't work. TV was replaced quickly.

I appreciated being allowed to leave my car in their carpark while I attened a funeral and they arranged a taxi for me.

• Family Room

The person behind the bar (the manager?) who checked us in couldn't have been more miserable. The bar was completely empty to so it wasn't as if we were arriving when he was rushed off his feet. Also, the corridor and our room really smelt strongly of stale garlic/onions.

Close to the Eurotunnel

the bed was super soft and clean as was the bathroom very tied hotel needs a lot of work to the exterior and the breakfast is served to late we needed to be off by 8 and breakfast didn't start till 8.30

I was charged twice for a one night stay. The "manager" just says it's not his problem. Spoke to the owner who said he would refund that evening. Despite several conversations with the manager he has still failed to refund me. A month later and still not resolved. I note from other reviews that refunds from this bunch of crooks are not forthcoming.

Noise all night from staff room above, constant phone calls and visitors to staff room. No sleep at a all. Bed not made, bathroom not cleaned, only teabags replaced on tea tray. Hotel needs a good shake up, would not recommend to anyone, rather warn them off.

no breakfast on monday

The shower was a little low, and took a while to warm up, but not a problem for a one night stay.

Comfortable, excellent value for money and very convenient. Helpful staff. Parking a bonus.

smack in the middle of hythe , so lots of youngsters drinking in the bar. The whole of upstairs ,which you get to via the indian restaurant attached, basically smells of shake n vac ! newish carpet tho . The problems started at midnight , drunken shouting and scuffles outside in the square .Went on for over an hour before police and an ambulance turned up . NEVER again .

middle of town , parking found about 5 mins away and free overnight

First room was noisy (next to kitchen extractor fan). Second room cramped, bathroom light only worked with main room light on.

Comfy bed. Nice towels. Very nice breakfast.

Room was dirty. Didn't appeared that have been hoovered, stains on bed and lampshades, water marks on walls and ceiling, shower was filthy and bathroom floor looked like it had never seen a mop... There was rarely staff around to talk to and had to check out by just leaving the keys behind the bar. When we went to a local bar they said the hotel has a reputation for being pretty poor. Looking on trip advisor since it seems several people have informed booking.com of the quality of the hotel however they still recommend it. I will therefore no longer use your website in the future. The hotel was not worth what we paid for it considering the basic cleanliness was terrible.

The sheets and towels were clean. That's everything that was good...

Everything. Suppose to have wifi but I couldn't connect in my room. The hotel was poorly looked after. Customer service was very poor. The bathroom was awful. The shower had very poor flow and wouldn't even get luke warm let alone hot. The bath and sink were all chipped. The tiles were coming away from the bath and the grout and sealant were cracked and mouldy. The room windows would have easily been opened from the outside. The net curtains had what looked like fag Burns in them and were dirty and mouldy as were the window frames. The curtains were disgusting and poorly fitting. There was stains and dents/holes on the walls and skirting's.

The location is the only thing going for this hotel.

The shower and ceiling height in the bathroom was too low and some of the staff did not speak English. We did not get breakfast as the chef was off sick.

Handy for the centre of Hythe.

Receptionist on arrival was not interested in doing anything other than taking the money. Room was basic. Shower not functioning correctly. Nowhere to leave key at checkout. Next to a noisy pub

Convenient and available at short notuce

Well where do you start... Urine stained smell in bedroom Ripped sheets ...that's just a starter and you'll find out if your brave enough and want to waste your pennies

Nothing was.. meant to be staying two nights ran away the second when we could get out the car park.

No negatives.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable. The Indian meal we had was memorable. We left early in the morning, so didn't have breakfast, but it was a full English and sounded delicious. The room was very quiet.

Breakfast was rubbish in the hotel. Shower needed attention dribbled out. Decor unfinished.

Staff good in the hotel. Bed very comfy. Lovely village, & good places to eat in the area. Very good Turkish Restrurant in the high street. Handy for nice walks. Very pretty along the Canal. Good Restrurant over the road from hotel, great breakfast & cream teas.

My sister said the Seagulls were noisy but I didn't hear them. Guess I slept soundly. Besides nothing you can do about the Seagulls.

The staff were very pleasant helpful and friendly. The young lady even put the destination we wanted into our Sat Nav for us We were asked if we would like to book a breakfast which had we not been going to a Wedding breakfast would have certainly done so. My sister and I thought the beds were very comfortable. We would definitely book there again if we ever visit Hythe. It was in the town and so was very close to any amenities.

It is a typical pub hotel. A little tired but everything that you need was there.

Good location on High Street. Quiet. V good shower. Beds comfy and plenty of towels. It was a bargain.

The accommodation was good, one double bed and two singles in the room, view onto the High Street, staff were very pleasant and the price was good.

Would have liked Biscuits in the room with tea and coffee facilities. Room was directly above the bar so was a little loud.

Central location, good cheap and cheerful hotel. Parking round the back through some very narrow streets