Reviews of The Sydney Arms

11 Bridport Road, Dorchester, DT1 2NG, United Kingdom

#19 of 22 hotels in Dorchester

A good basic B&B in a good position.
    • Double or Twin Room

The approach to the room was grubby and sadly they weren't doing food on my first day, The breakfast on the second day was not well presented, not as good as on the first morning.

The room was clean and basic and the bed was comfortable. the first breakfast was good. The staff were pleasant

Worst place I have ever stayed!
    • Double or Twin Room

we had to leave fairly early in the mornings and they wouldnt serve an early breakfast so we didnt get any breakfast.It was very noisy.No parking.Smallest bathroom Ive ever seen.Shower didnt work properly.Bin wasnt emptied.No teabags second day so couldnt even have a cup of tea! Horrible small beds which a large man would have struggled to sleep on.

Friendly staff.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

Bathroom in need of tlc, especially the sealant around the bath and shower which allowed water to leak onto the floor.

Friendly staff. Big breakfast.

Satisfactory, Extremely economical.
    • Double or Twin Room

The en-suite shower room was so extremely small that it was uncomfortable to use. The bedroom was large enough for the en-suite to have been at least 60 cm wider. And should have been 60 cm. wider!

The management and staff are very obliging. The price of the accommodation was the least expensive to be found in and around Dorchester but this was reflected in the general condition of the carpets and the decor. The extensive menu for meals was very competitively priced. The fried breakfast was excellent but the only cereal available was corn flakes. The coffee was great! The service was also very good. The free on-site parking was only large enough to take 2 vehicles so the car had to be parked on the street.

Very helpful friendly staff but seemed inexperienced. An interesting stay

First morning breakfast unavailable as no staff. Modest refund. Second morning staff available but no milk. No coffee biscuit second day. Only a plastic hand wash dispenser. No shower or shampoo items. Broken shelf needed replacing Lack of adequate on site parking

Comfortable bed and proximity to town. Very clean but basic room.

Good location, but poor in all other respects.

Tiny room. Shower room door wouldn't open fully (it hit the foot of the bed) and the only mirror was on the back of it and far too low, so very difficult to use. Breakfast very basic. No cooked breakfast first morning, due to fan problem in the kitchen. No offer of any refund, and no reply (after a week) to my subsequent request for one, and comments about the room, breakfast, etc. Poor staff attitude and training. Poor value.

Location - ideal for Dorchester Hospital and centre

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

"Comfy Accommodation" - you're having a laugh!

Everything. The window was held up with toilet rolls. The shower temperature couldn't be altered by the guests and needed to be as it was dangerously hot. (I had to use my son's room next to ours for a shower.) The bed was uncomfortable with a dip. There was only one bedside lamp. For a two night stay our rooms weren't serviced. The kitchen wasn't working so no breakfast. Not one member of staff enquired after us or even bothered to acknowledge us throughout our stay. We got just £20 refund for no breakfasts and we had two rooms for three adults staying as I booked another room for my adult son.

Poor value for money

Bathroom small and no toilet paper on arrival. Noisy as on main road. Breakfast not provided as staff off sick. £10 was removed from bill.

Staff helpful but it's a pub with rooms.

Not to be recommended

No parking space on 2nd day - the 2 behind pub were taken- barman told me the blurb stated limited parking- I showed him booking info that did not state limited. Carpet in room awful, carpet to room disgusting, bed creaked, towel ring fell off bathroom wall

Female bar staff were lovely, & the lady that made breakfast first day was really helpful

We got a bed close to city centre at a very reasonable price, spotlessly clean room,
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

Awkward getting to room via narrow stairway and awkward getting through passageway doors. Parking was in a public area pay for time approx 150 metres from Hotel

Basic room with facilities in centre of town close to most sights. Staff very helpful.

disappointing but food and ale were great
    • Double or Twin Room

Beds were ridiculously narrow, there was no wardrobe to hang clothes and bathroom was tiny, also the shower once it heated up, was scaldingly hot, and nothing I did made it any cooler.

Breakfast both mornings was superb

Would not choose this place again - a one off stay while my husband in Dorchester hospital.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

Bathroom needs upgrading: dripping taps, old seal round bath, old decor. Evening meal poor quality so skipped breakfast.

Only stayed here for it's proximity to the hospital. Room ok for 1 night

Awful, you should not be promoting this place

Everything, The staff we saw were morose and totally unhelpful. When locked out from breakfast we found another couple who were leaving. They had not paid but there was no-one to pay. This place is awful and should not be operating.

Springs on mattress protruded so I could not sleep. The door to the shower room stuck and the mirror had gone. We had no choice of breakfast the firstorning. The second morning the door to the bar room was locked.No-one turned up to give us breakfast do we had to go elsewhere.

Food was lovely and staff were very accommodating and...

I was disappointed in the condition of the bed and mattress , you could feel the springs when you ran you’re hand over it and it would have been nice to have a mattress proctor over it under the sheet.

Food was lovely and staff were very accommodating and friendly .

Avoid this place - it is dreadful and not representative of Dorchester

Where do I begin? I arrived on Saturday afternoon, the bar was getting busy for a football match which was being televised; no problem. I was shown to my room: a very small single room with a window which opened onto a flat roof where the vent from the extractor fan was situated and this was working until gone midnight. The bar manager who showed me to my room had no interest in me as a guest whatever, and of more concern was the fact he hadn't noticed that the bedding hadn't been changed since the previous guest! The bedding was changed but, you know what happens, when something goes wrong, you inadvertently start looking for other things?? Well, then I noticed that the room had not been cleaned at all, the bathroom hadn't been cleaned - there was no shower gel and the handwash had been watered down! There was no bedside light and when I asked for one was told "we don't do those"!! I would have eaten in the bar that evening but with the standards I'd experienced in the room, there was no way I was going to risk it! The football party went on until midnight VERY loudly, even earplugs didn't drown out the sound. The mattress was well worn and uncomfortable. Overall a dreadful, really dreadful experience and certainly not representative of the lovely Dorset town of Dorchester which I know well.

Very, very disappointed.
    • Double or Twin Room

Shower and sink mouldy and dirty, shower too hot to use, no cold water flow. Pub was busy, which was fine, but staff were rude and dismissive on arrival. One very flat pillow on bed, had to go out and buy my own. No breakfast, although we got a refund was still very disappointed. A lot of noise from the other residents. Literally no one in the pub when we left had to leave the keys in the hallway as no one to leave them with. No proper curtains in room which meant we got full daylight as soon as the sun came up, and the shine from the pub lights until closing at midnight. Overall not a good stay.

Really nothing. No noise from pub.

A disappointment
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

For the price, the room was grubby and run down. The sink tap had a constant slow drip which had obviously been ongoing for some time as it had stained the sink. Our room was called the Hilton which was obviously an ironic naming. Breakfast was a total fail, nobody in attendance at all none of the guests got fed, we managed to get a £20 cash refund from the cleaner at 10.15am who was very apologetic that there had been no breakfast. I couldn't recommend this to anyone I know without being embarrassed.

Hotel is in a good position for the town and hospital but expensive for basic accommodation and serv

The room was over priced and the staff not really trained up very well (young lads who did their best). Breakfast was very basic (couldn't offer poached eggs and only had 2 cereals to offer). Room was basic with no soap supplied and no reading light on one side of the bed.

I had to attend an interview for Dorset County Council and the position was good.

Never again there and have told my family and friends
    • Double or Twin Room

Don't know where to start customers friendly staff not unhelpful room just like a hostel already written a review too many bad points to mention

Nothing except handy for family surprise party

I enjoyed my stay and I slept very well.

There was nowhere in the ensuite shower room to put my toiletries - not a shelf or ledge, and the space was very small. I didn't use the shower as there were black mould stains near the base. The cup and glass by the kettle were rather grimy so I bought my own. The remote for the TV would have benefited from being cleaned with an antibacterial wipe between guests.

The bed was very comfortable and I liked the fact that there were lots of people down in the bar, so I didn't feel lonely. I wasn't bothered by anyone and felt safe. Being situated across the road from the hospital was the reason I booked into The Sydney Arms. It made getting to my morning appointment very easy. As it got a bit chilly at times, it was great to have an electric heater in the room.

Comfortable stay on top of a locals lively pub. Great breakfast!

My first impression wasn't the best, because you have to walk through a lively pub to check-in at the bar, and basically everyone looks at you. But they are all quite friendly and there is nothing to worry about. it's just a little off-putting to begin with. Also, the backdoor entrance was block by a van one of the evenings so I had to walk through a packed pub, with lots of bags, (the football was on!) to get through to the rooms. But that wasn't the pubs fault.

The breakfast was great, and the lady serving the breakfast was really nice and accommodating. She was my favourite thing about the stay actually. Nothing was too much trouble. The rooms are comfortable, especially the pillows. They are clean and tidy, both bedroom and toilet. And the bathroom had a power shower, which was awesome! Overall my staff was reasonably comfortable, especially for the money I paid (it is really reasonably priced in comparison to other B&B's in the area), and for the fact the rooms are above a pub! The noise really isn't an issue past 11pm.

Unrepeatable

Mattress seen better days Mirror removed from bathroom Decor very tired Shower stuck on hot No cooked breakfast, "the extractor fan in the kitchen was not working"

Good & clean rooms & friendly staff.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

Ask what breakfast choice we would like.

The room was neat & tidy bathroom could do with a makeover,bed very comfy. Staff at breakfast need to ask what cooked breakfast we want,1st morning we said hot breakfast & just got scrambled eggs but may have wanted fried. Overall good though.

Happy & friendly & obliging staff.

Dirty shower cabinets, non-functioning power points. Toilet cistern flush mechanism STILL broken 5 months after I reported it last time! Fried eggs breakfast done in dirty fat.

Happy & friendly & obliging staff. I had a double room for two nights at no extra charge, then moved to a familiar single.

The listing said continental breakfast, but if the girl who...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

Chose the property because it had parking - there are two extremely tight spaces in the back yard of the pub to serve everyone, first come first served.

The listing said continental breakfast, but if the girl who is prepared to cook is on shift you get a cooked breakfast...

Very convenient for visiting patients in Dorchester hospital
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

Although it is a pub and menus were provided in the bedrooms by 20:30 it was too late to order any. Bathroom decor needs refreshing.

Friendly waitress at breakfast. Keys to external door so you are able to come and go throughout the night.

A small, no-frills pub where staff go the extra mile despite the limitations.

Broken toilet cistern and malfunctioning kettle were annoying but still usable. Shower closet could have done with a scrub!

Instead of the advertised "continental breakfast" I was expecting, I received a choice of hot fried food (settled on scrambled eggs & bacon on 2 toast!) - excellent! It made the break that much more enjoyable!

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Excellent and would stay again
    • Double or Twin Room

The location near the town and hospitals makes it ideal for that. The outlook is over the hospital car park and busy main road; it is a small price to pay for the convenience.

Very convenient for visiting hospital- just across road! Bar food is excellent value for money and the staff are very friendly and cooperative. The bar has a great atmosphere.

Average.

Customers are definitely locals, so be ready for everyone to stare at you as you come in. Dirty cups and cutlery during breakfast. Owner blamed her staff instead of taking responsibility. Too late for a cooked breakfast (down half an hour before breakfast ended.) Not very accommodating.

Room was very clean, definitely good for a one night stay. Couldn't fault the room. Friendly staff when we arrived.

Horrendous .... h & s risk!!!

The room was terrible and a h & s risk!.. Water poured through the leaking roof flashing, soaking the wall and electricity socket, carpet, splashing onto the table in the process and wetting a heavy coat draped over a chair. We arrived back the first evening after a nice local meal to a full power cut in our room as a result of the water ingress in the electric socket! When complaining to the manger he did not seem at all concerned and did not offer alternative accommodation. He knew about the state of the room. We left after one night losing a second night's money and found alternative accommodation!!! We took camera evidence as we were so disgusted by our treatment. We will never go there again!!!

The lovely lady member of staff at breakfast.

Comfy, clean one night stay

Nothing really, friendly, well run pub with limited parking, but we had a space so happy happy

Clean, friendly, good food, well priced. Overall good value one night stay.

Convenient access to Top of Town coach park.
    • Double or Twin Room

It's a pub for men to watch football and seems to cater for that only.

Convenient access to Top of Town coach park. Nothing about the Sydney Arms would make me stay there again.

This is budget price accommodation so don't expect much

The Sydney is a pub that has a rew rooms NOT a hotel so the facilities are clearly very well worn. My shower was quite grimy in places (but hot/powerful which is what matters) and pretty much all the decor was dated with evidence of much use. My towel holder fell off the wall at one point which made me chuckle. The toilet/shower was very small and it was impossible to get the shower door fully open. The regular pub clientelle provide 'colour' so be aware that the language can be very fruity if you're a bit delicate.

This is budget accommodation therefore my expectations weren't high. The price was good. Bed comfortable and clean if a bit creaky. The location was handy for Dorchester town and its attractions. The staff were very helpful and friendly especially the young lady in the mornings. Breakfast was good. I managed to get a parking space in the very small carpark. Several okay restaurants nearby.

For Dorchester and Hardy country great value for money, and comfortable. Will stay again.

SkyTV sports encompassed the public area, which is not me personally, but lots of very nice customers, and I got interested in the game.

I was visiting family member in hospital, right opposite Sydney Arms. On the outskirts of Dorchester Town Centre but a walk down the hill to Centre. Dorchester and Hardy country can be expensive for a single person. Sydney Arms excellent value for money, and staff very nice. Large double room, right on road front, no double glazing but very little traffic. Don't think the Centre public car parks are on that road.

Pleasantly surprised

Bathroom the size of a large wardrobe that had a funny smell may be distinfectant but wasn’t pleasant. Horrible metal container above sink that I hated. Shower stuck on scalding so very unpleasant. It was a shame this bathroom let the whole experience down. Still, for £65 including breakfast how could I complain?

Superb value for money, large double bedded room with a tea tray brimming with contents and biscuits and 2 free bottles of water. Looks directly at Dorset County Hospital, thought we’d be woken with sirens but weren’t. Staff very nice indeed.

Friendly staff do not make up for poor interior condition
    • Double or Twin Room

The pub is well positioned in Dorchester but the parking is very limited. The room was tired and the bathroom is miniscule. Our room was in the front of the property facing the main road which meant the windows had to be closed at night. For an overnight stay on the way to somewhere it is probably ok, but we were there for four nights which, despite the price, was a mistake and we would not stay there again. Sorry.

The staff are all extremely friendly and professional. The breakfast is good, freshly prepared and the service is good also.

Comfortable bed , we didn't eat there because we were...

large noisy extractor fan right outside the window, which didn't shut down until after 11p.m. wouldn't have been ideal if you needed an early night. Plus breakfast wasn't available until 8.00 a.m. which meant we had to leave without having any as we had to be at a meeting by then. no shower gel or hair shampoo or hairdryer

Comfortable bed , we didn't eat there because we were meeting up with Colleagues however the menu looked very reasonably priced and the bar looked as though it had recently been refurbished

Excellent choice and good value for money.

The staff very friendly and helpful, and gave attentive service. The room was basic but clean. Just what was expected of a pub, with accommodation. I woul recommend it to others and stay there again.

comfortable and enjoyable, would stay again.
    • Double or Twin Room

Bathroom had some mould in the shower.

The staff were helpful above and beyond the call of duty. Also very friendly. My daughter felt a little unwell and didn't come down to breakfast, the housekeeping lady prepared her a tray and couldn't do enough to help. A great experience. Would definitely stay there again.

nice little pub...good beer and food and great staff plus a comfortable room

Parking is a bit of a problem but the hospital car park is straight across the road...costs seven pounds for the night basically

It;s a Pub so is RANKED as such....nice spacious room.....all you want ...good bathroom...good bed ...clean and tidy. Meals on premise.....good value...and really nice staff

Not good

Noisey bed mould in shower breakfast very small one bacon one sausage one egg beans quarter tomato all microwaved very weak coffee far to early check out for weekend

Oppisite the hospital

A very good base for exploring Dorchester and surroundings.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

On site parking for two cars, although rather a tight fit. Only limited parking in adjacent roads as it's short-term unless you are a resident.

Very friendley and welcoming; super staff. Although it's an old building it has been recently refurbished, and the rooms are comfortable if not luxurious. It's a good location for the centre of the town - a 5 minute walk.

Good location for Dorchester
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

Limited parking. Noisey hotel equipment most of the night.

Reasonably spacious room with comfortable bed and adequate bathroom. Good location with shot walk to town centre.

We didn't get the breakfast.

We didn't get the breakfast. I was upset about that. I was given £10 discount but it cost problem for us to find some place get breakfast in the morning.

It is a really good place to stay as it is close to so many...

Just the parking is first come first served kind of thing

It is a really good place to stay as it is close to so many things! & the staff were lovely!

The staff were very obliging
    • Double or Twin Room

The room was incredibly noisy. Paintwork very worn and chipped, windows needed painting and if allowed doubled glazed. Parking difficult

The staff were very obliging

Saxon arms

No bathroom compliments such as shower gel. O ly 2 spaces to park in and these were very tight. Tbe breakfast ( full english ) only consisted of 1 sausage one egg, beans, small tomatoe and one bacon. Advertised as superb breakfast!!@

The room was clean and pleasent

Good
    • Double or Twin Room

Parking OK but not much of it - so tricky to squeeze in.

Comfy bed Friendly staff Good breakfast - with tomato and crisp bacon on request! Quiet at night - though a bar somewhere down below. Thank you.

Convenient location spoilt by the weekend breakfast times
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

Parking, two spaces and very restricted with awkward unmarked wall to wheelchair ramp in the way as you reverse in from the narrow road. Breakfast poor. Starting at 8am might be ok on a weekday but 9am Saturday and Sunday is hopeless. They have a coffee machine but only serve instant coffee, cereal selection is limited, and they ran out of bread for toast on Sunday.

The Sydney Arms in Dorchester

The room didn't have a view but I had booked one of the last rooms remaining. The other minus point was the lack of hangers on the clothes rail.

I enjoyed the breakfasts - I had expected a continental breakfast but was pleased in having sausage, bacon and eggs. The produce was of a high quality. I also liked the shower facilities with hot water available throughout the day.

Excellent location, great staff and good value for money
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

The room was clean and comfortable but is a bit tired and needs a bit of a spruce up paper was peeling a little and the seal around the bath could do with replacing excellent

The room was comfortable, the location excellent and the staff very helpful especially the lady who was present at breakfast. Breakfasts were great

Pub with rooms upstairs.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

Residents only parking. Had to park in a public carpark down the road (not as advertised). This is a pub first, B&B second.

Pub with rooms upstairs. Fry-up breakfast and short walk into Dorchester town centre.

Just what we wanted, look forward to returning
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

There is a cooling system outside the window of the room we stayed in which makes tons of noise - it would definitely be worth telling guests it does turn off at night although it came back on at 8am on the Sunday morning.

The pub is near enough to the town centre to be 100% convenient, literally a 5 minute walk to the high street, but far enough out to be quiet and safe. The room was lovely; clean, bright with everything you need and an extremely comfy bed with good pillows! The staff were helpful and professional - the lady who sorted breakfast and check out in the morning was an absolute gem with the actual breakfast being an absolute full on feast! Just what we needed to set us up for a busy and active day!

The location is perfect and near small superstore.
    • Double or Twin Room

the bathroom is quite small. Moreover, a garage fits for only 2 cars. As there is a pub under the room so at night is noisy

The location is perfect and near small superstore. The breakfast is very nice and cooked when customers are ready. The room fits for me.

A serviceable place to stay one night.
    • Double or Twin Room

Room was very stuffy and noisy with road traffic. There were no toiletries provided, at first the shower was scalding hot but the manager fixed it.

Breakfast was good, pleasant staff at breakfast time. Otherwise seemed short staffed.

Really friendly and helpful, great pub and breakfast.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

Really friendly and helpful, great pub and breakfast. Room was lovely for the price. No hair dryer but that was ok! Everything I needed to make it a comfortable stay, was close to where I was working that day so location was really great for me. Will definitley return when in the area again.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

Great location, breakfast delicious, rooms well equipped...

Great location, breakfast delicious, rooms well equipped with tv and tea/coffee making facilities, staff particularly helpful and friendly. A few minutes' walk into Dorchester, also close to other places of interest like West Bay.

pub stay in Dorchester

Lighting in room too low for reading.only one bedside lamp with black shade gave out no light.no because table area for glasses etc.

Super friendly staff.quiet room once pub closed downstairs and road quietened down.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2018

Just about acceptable.

As above

Bed OK room to hot had to turn the heating off. The corridor and stairs to the accommodation were dingy and in need of decorating.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

Bathroom was old and needs updating

Bathroom was old and needs updating

Very satisfactory

The shower in the room was hard to adjust Needs a little bit of modernizing

Very Friendly

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Great time

A fine stay!

The other guests were quite loud

It did what it said on the tin! We just need a room for the night and it fulfilled our needs.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Staff

Staff

Rude staff . Dirty room

They said they would serve breakfast, but something went...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

They said they would serve breakfast, but something went wrong and the dining area was closed in the morning. (Both mornings,)

over priced and barely adequate

on 2 days of my 3 day stay no one appeared to make breakfast although that was included in the price no explanation or apology was made

Not a good experience. Breakfast not early enough
    • Double or Twin Room

Towels with stains on, bathroom shower contols not working correctly, no room to move in bathroom. Beds really uncomfortable.

Very poor and over priced

Rooms grotty no facilities to put clothing. It was like a back pack having to live out of suitcase

Never to be repeated

The room was awful

It was dirty and old

The bedroom was roomy the facilities was standard
    • Double or Twin Room

The cleanliness of the shower and sink. Not enough toilet roll.

The breakfast was good

Reasonably clean room and value for money

Pub below had loud disco on in evening, fortunately I had earplugs

Reasonably clean room and value for money

Excellent value for money.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

Nothing was too much trouble for the owner especially as the booking was a last minute emergency.

6.0
    the staff were lovely pub was good

room not worth £75 no bath as expected no toiletries

the staff were lovely pub was good

adequate for the purpose
    • Double or Twin Room

Parking very limited Shower not very clean and difficult to operate.

location Food good and reasonably priced