Reviews of Tower House Guest House

15 Ship Street, Oxford, OX1 3DA, United Kingdom

#23 of 65 B&Bs and Inns in Oxford

Lovely cafe around the corner where your breakfast is...

Lovely cafe around the corner where your breakfast is available, the bedroom was a very pleasant suprise also and nice and quiet, Location is very central to everything.

Enjoyable, convient, English hospitality at its best.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Shower

Breakfast was your choice - full English to toast and coffee. Staff helpful, knowledgeable, friendly and prompt. Guest room with ensuit shower was roomy and had hot water to spare.

To be able to stayin the very heart of Oxford in a 17th...

To be able to stayin the very heart of Oxford in a 17th century building (with all its genuine quirks) was wonderful. Then to find that we were supporting the Oxford Hub, a charity linking student volunteers with local enterprises, was an added bonus. And to top it all off, breakfast at Turl St Kitchen!

The location is great, very near the Bodleian Library, the...
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The building was constructed in the 17th century, so it has some quirks like low ceilings in the rooms: I have 1,80m (5'11") and barely could stretch my arms.

The location is great, very near the Bodleian Library, the city center is easily accessible on foot.

Small room, but a GREAT location and WONDERFUL breakfast.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Great location. The walking tour we took met just down the street. With this room, you eat breakfast at their restaurant which is just around the corner. I'm vegan and I was able to get a "full vegan" breakfast. My husband had a great traditional full breakfast. This was our best breakfast on a 3 week trip. The room was small and we had a shared bathroom, but no problems getting in for a morning shower. I would recommend this place for friends visiting Oxford.

Disappointing.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

This property was not as expected. It was more like a dorm for students. Very disappointing and hugely overpriced. The location was SO noisy and I was woken up several times. Bed short. My feet stuck out of the end of the bed. (I'm only 5 ft 7in.) If you want an overpriced student type dorm where you have to share a bathroom, then you'd be fine. Price was a rip off.

The breakfast, which was off site, was probably best thing about this property.

breakfast is provided by Turl Street Kitchen, hosted in the...

noise insulation is a bit poor

breakfast is provided by Turl Street Kitchen, hosted in the same building as the charity Oxford Hub. lovely place, great food.

Excellent!!!!!
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Ideally located in Oxford, only a 10 minute walk away from the train station if that. The staff were super friendly and inviting. The room itself was clean and light and very comfortable. Will be staying there in the future.

A fine place for a short stay, but you're sharing a bathroom.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The Little Blue room is quite small. Not a fan of shared bathrooms. Staff frequently at the restaurant down the street and hard to track down.

The included breakfast was excellent. Very convenient location to explore the city. They were willing to hold our luggage after checkout while we visited the Natural History Museum before our train.

Lovely big character room, over looking one of the colleges.

A little noisy at 2am but overall, the street was generally quiet so only a very minor point!

Lovely big character room, over looking one of the colleges. Super breakfast just round at TSK.

Top marks and better than the 5* place around the corner!

The shower didn't have a steady temperature and was a bit weak. The bathroom was very warm!

Delicious and relaxed breakfast in a lovely setting, at the Turl Stret Kitchen

• Deluxe Double Room with Bath

Jug provided to was hair. No shower attachment on bath Loo had not had a proper clean in months Room was not cleaned. Guest info said they cleaned up to 2pm and we went out at 12. Plenty of time I would have thought.

Excellent location

Warm luxurious room in top location and attentive welcome

To turn off bedside light required one to get out of bed to reach them to turn off.- a minor thing but strange

Bright and cheerful room, truly comfy and luxurious in a top location; very welcoming.

Great location, lovely room and fantastic breakfast.

The only slight qualm was the power of the shower.

The accommodation was excellent in a fantastic location. The breakfast at Turl Street Kitchen was amazing as well. The property was a great base for exploring the city and the affiliated charity does great work!

5 stars, secret gem - all for a great cause!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Shower

That I couldn't stay a few more days.

Everything. The location, a 10-minute stroll from the station. The flexibility of the front of house staff who accommodated all my special requests. The small details in the room: the beauty products, the mini library, fruit, good tea and coffee, comfy pillows, huge shower - warm towels... The gorgeous old building, very quirky and authentically Oxfordian, wooden doors, stone floors (not in the rooms!) Just a real gem - and furthermore, for a fabulous cause. I will definitely be back.

Good place for a short stay, and eat at their companion Turn Street Kitchen
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

TV and lighting in room all in the wrong place Shower apparatus hard to understand for a visitor - needs a label or twqwo

The best breakfast anywhere in the UK

The breakfast was very good, we had a small but cosy room,...
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The bathroom was not very clean and one morning we had no hot water, the wifi did not work properly

The breakfast was very good, we had a small but cosy room, the location was perfect

Could be a great stay if a few things sorted out
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Travelling for business I was reliant on good WiFi and there wasn’t any really, I ended up using data and couldn’t do my work at the hotel at all. The manager did his best to help, but they just need to sort this out. Also, beware when sharing a bathroom you could be at the mercy of fellow guests who, in my case, hogged the bathroom for 40 mins in the morning.

The location was perfect for central Oxford, right in the heart of the university. Breakfast next door at TSK was also great, a lovely choice of healthy to less healthy!

Largely fine more information would have helped ensure the end of the stay wasn't really frustrating
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The majority of the stay was fine but we had a major issue when attempting to leave. We were told that we could leave the bags in the guest house and pick them up later - we were to ring the bell or go to the Turl Street cafe further down the road. On returning to the guest house we found no one home and the cafe closed. After waiting outside in the cold for over an hour and hammering on the cafe window we luckily managed to attract the attention of one of the last remaining staff member who had been doing a stock check in the basement who finally let us in. We weren't told at any point there was a cut of point for pick up (it was after all only 6:40pm wen we returned back).

Room was clean, bed was comfy and the breakfast down the road (there are no onsite facilities) was tasty. .

Pleasant stay in a unique location
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

This is not a complaint but a warning. If you have mobility problems then this is probably not the place for you as the stairs may be difficult - they are typical of those found in 400-500 year old buildings. The ceilings are low with beams. If your are over 6 feet (183 cm) then prepare to duck.

I had a large en-suite room. It was furnished well. All was clean and tidy. Everything worked. The restaurant was good. Staff were friendly. No issues at all. The hotel is well located in the centre of town and is very convenient for the colleges and for tourist attractions.

Very nice stay!

The bathroom could have been bigger and comfier.

Excellent breakfast served in nearby restaurant. Lovely location overlooking Jesus College and very close to all amenities.

Down side did not spoil a lovely Christmas visit to lovely city, market and museums
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

Expensive for what you get in my opinion, you are paying premium for location which is excellent, right in the heart of the fabulous city of Oxford. External appearance of guest house does need a coat of paint and fixtures fittings in room where showing signs of wear plus no shower in our room, just bath.

Location and breakfast

Cozy, comfortable and convenient with no frills.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The heating was a bit of an issue. Self controlled heater in room seemed to have only two options - on or off. And Oxford was bitterly cold while I was ther. But then that could just be my inability to deal with anything mechanical.

The breakfasts were fantastic . . . As were the other meals I ate there.

Comfortable central location.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Shower

The Ikea bed needed tightening up all round with an Allen key as it was very creaky. TV a bit flakey and kept reverting to a station of its choice....We woke to overnight snow and no heating which was unwelcome. £180 a night was a bit steep for B&B especially as breakfast was not on site.

Unimposing outside and looked pretty grotty. Inside lovely. Very helpful staff (the manager from Turl St Kitchen who let us in and the cleaner we met later). We were able to leave our luggage early on arrival and late on check-out, which was very helpful. Room and bathroom lights lovely. Wi-fi excellent.

I enjoyed every bit of my stay at the Tower Guest House

No lift so if you carry a heavy luggage you might need some help going up the stairs.

I love everything about the Tower Guest House. The room was super clean, big comfy bed and made me feel at home during my stay in Oxford. The location couldn't be more central, it only takes a 7 min walk from the Bus Station and the views from the window are to the gardens of a beautiful college. Ben, the staff was extremely nice and helpful. The breakfast is served in the restaurant around the corner and have a good and healthy choice. In summary, I will return on my every stay in Oxford.

• Deluxe Double Room with Shower

The shower wasn't working properly. Water pressure was low at a time and no hot water coming out how hard I tried! Wish there's an instruction how to use it.

Walking distance to everywhere I needed to go. The room was clean and comfortable.

A welcoming ,comfortable B&b in the heart of Oxford and only 11 minutes walk from the train station.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Due to quirky nature of the house understandable that not all rooms have en suite, but this isn't really too much of a problem if just staying for one night.

Breakfast in Turl st cafe a few doors down was excellent. Location could not be faulted , the room was small but perfect with good quality fixtures and extremely comfortable bed. Room too small if one intends to spend a lot of time in it but perfectly fine if all that's wanted is a comfortable place to sleep. The people running the place were so friendly and welcoming .really enjoyed my overnight.

Right in the heart of the city, great stay.

Because of the great central location the parking was quite a way away and VERY expensive!

Very helpful chap upon arrival and finding somewhere to park. Breakfast in the very nearby Turl Street Kitchen was a great bonus.

high price, poor facilities

The water from the shower seems to be electrically heated. So the water flow is very small if you want hot water. I came in Dec.. so it took me 20 mins to take a shower there. The heating did not work in my room so it was cold during the night. The staff seems to forget to clean the bathroom, so I found no shampoo and shower gel there...

The location is great, which is close to university of Oxford. The breakfast is free in a good restaurant in the corner. There is free wifi in the hotel, the bed is comfortable. The house is old but clean.

Nice room but I was cold!

The room was freezing cold when I arrived as the radiator was cold. The person on reception sorted it but it took a long time for the room to be warm. There was no additional blanket for the bed so I had a rather cold night. Similarly, the dining room was pretty chilly in the morning.

Bed comfy, room clean, reception person attentive.

I loved my stay at Tower House. Highly recommend.

I was in the Jade room on the 1st floor and it was a large room with a closet. Beautifully appointed and clean with windows overlooking Jesus College. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Good bathroom too.

A charming hotel in a great location

There wasn't much information provided about how to check in and check out. I only knew to go to the restaurant because I called to ask the check in time (bookings.com says 2.00pm and hotel website says 3.00pm). When we were there someone else knocked on the window and asked us how to check in. Also with check out we just left our key but we werent sure if that was right. Just a bit of extra info would be great. No parking nearby but we did manage to find somewhere 15 minutes away for the night. It added an extra £25 to the cost of our night away though!

It is a lovely little hotel in an amazing location. It was fantastic to step out the door and be surrounded by the beautiful university buildings. The breakfast at the associated restaurant was amazing too. A great selection of food and great atmosphere. I loved the fact that all the floor are sloping and the hotel has lots of original features. We had a comfortable and very quiet night.

Excellent location, but remember the bathroom is shared and it might be on a different floor!
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I knew this when I booked the place but it's a shared bathroom. And in the case of my room, the bathroom was on a different floor. It's hard to justify paying over 100EUR for a teeny room with no private bathroom but I understand that in Oxford most buildings are owned by the colleges.

Excellent central location right in the heart of Oxford with breakfast available at the cafe next door. Comfortable bed with wash basin in the room.

I would stay here again.

It is always nice to have a lift, especially with luggage, but the staff helped me carry my bags.

This is a wonderfully located little hotel, with small but very comfortable and well-appointed rooms. Breakfast is outstanding--offered in a restaurant next door--and all the best sights in Oxford are within a short walk. Guests should be aware of stairs, uneven floors and low ceilings. It's a medieval building, after all. But that's part of the charm. If you're really tall, you should let them know.

Characterful building; great location; friendly staff and a lovely breakfast at Turl Street Kitchen
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Not a criticism at all, but we think the profits from the hotel must go towards supporting the Hub social enterprise which does great community work around Oxford, If this is the case I would let guests know - we would be very happy to think our stay was supporting this great project and I think it would encourage like-minded guests to choose your hotel when booking

This is a great location - difficult to find in Oxford in this price range - and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Price included a lovely breakfast at the Turl Street Kitchen. The room was small but you'd expect that in a historic building and it was stylish with a comfortable bed and the shower gel smelled gorgeous.

Ideal for our purpose but would choose a larger room next time.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Stairs to bathroom, dirty lower stair, small size of room.

Excellent location, nice friendly staff, good breakfasts. Quiet and attractive in central Oxford.

The breakfast at the co owned restaurant Turl House Kitchen...

The breakfast at the co owned restaurant Turl House Kitchen was excellent..I had the vegetarian breakfast plate. As well the proceeds from the Guest House and restaurant go to fund social support activities in Oxford.

Would not stay again, even if it was for free
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The checking in arrangements. Needed to meet people in restaurant down the road. Room was tiny, The shower had not enough pressure and temperature kept switching between very hot to cold. Not worthy the money we paid for. Depressing. Will not go back.

Location only.

Adequate but disappointing and poor value for money.

It's a bit tatty, which is disguised in the photos. Service at breakfast was pretty hopeless. I stay in lots of places and this was just not good value for money - I think it just tries to take advantage of the location (fair enough if you can get away with it, I suppose).

It's in a great central location. The breakfast, taken just round the corner, offers a wide selection.

Charming, unassuming and very cosy B&B in the Oxford student heartland
    • Deluxe Double Room

If you arrive by car, accept you will need to park a good 10 minutes away by foot. I don't think I could fault the property on anything else.

We were expecting a simple, functional room, somewhat austere even, but to our surprise we found our room to be luxurious and the bed very comfortable. It's quite discreet at the end of an old, narrow corridor. Complimentary breakfast at the cafe next door is a nice touch. All in all a charming place where we would stay again if in the area.

Nice b&b, good facilities and good location but expensive. Not the best value for money.

I think it is expensive for essentially a bed and breakfast, with no parking. You can get a hotel for a cheaper rate in London. And the cost of parking is additional.

Good location, nice room - clean and comfortable. Good meal facilities at The Turl Street Kitchen

Location is very good for Oxford Centre
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Room Little Blue was indeed little (almost same size as bed) and blue, Not becoming very happy with street side noise.

Location is very good for Oxford Centre

Great location and full of character
    • Deluxe Double Room with Shower

Breakfasts on second day (fruit with yoguert) was poor. I nam es a liga at the front door

Great location, charming with lists of character, great staff

You can't beat the location and the staff is very nice...
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The room is really just for sleeping. This is without a doubt the most expensive room without a private bathroom that I ever had.

You can't beat the location and the staff is very nice and helpful too!

small room with friendly staff in perfect location
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

I can't complain re: sure, a larger room would be desirable, but for one night, I am just fine!

Location perfect, staff so friendly and helpful. We had a very small room and shared an upstairs bathroom with 2 other rooms which is fine for me, but others may be more selective. From what I could see, other rooms were much larger and nicer but this is what was available and for one night, it was just fine. It was certainly well maintained and very clean.

nice breakfast but not on site.

Room was very cold and draughty. No heating working. Came home with a cold.

nice breakfast but not on site. breakfast provided by Turl Street Kitchen - good breakfast but doen't open until 8am.

A lovely hotel run by really nice people.

Nothing really.

Great service from genuine, friendly, helpful people. Big rooms. Fresh fruit in room. A beautiful old building very well converted to a lovely place to stay.

Ideal for very central Oxford stay
    • Deluxe Double Room

Could have done with a shower but I understand why it does not have one i.e. someone left it on and flooded the ground floor so spoiled it for others. Bath was OK though.

Room on 1st floor was quiet and considering the hotel was built in the 17 century it had remarkedly non squeaky floors! albeit low ceilings.....

Fantastic central location - welcoming, relaxed and stylish
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Shared bathroom is a little unusual but not actually a problem.

Quirky building with lots of character. Rooms simple but stylish and comfortable. Lovely additional touches with botanical toiletries and speciality teas. Very friendly welcome. Great choice for breakfast.

A lovely, romantic place in the heart of the city.
    • Deluxe Double Room

A shower head over the lovely free standing bath would have been great.

A lovely, romantic place in the heart of the city. Personal, individual and quirky. Nothing run of the mill about it!

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

A good blend of modern comfort and period atmosphere,close to some of the colleges and Bodleian.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Shower

I prefer the type of shower with a flexible hose,rather than a fixed shower head. The tv remote was a bit erratic.

Delicious breakfasts at the cafe linked to the Towerhouse. Complimentary fruit and Alpen bars each day.

Nice guest house but chaotic checkin
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Checkin process was very chaotic, staff were all busy at the restaurant next door and there was a lot of back and forth to be able to finally check in. Additionally it states on this website that checkin is from 2pm but when we arrived we were told that we could not check in until 3pm, so were told to go away and come back until staff were ready. Additionally, the shared bathroom was shared between quite a few rooms which was not ideal. The bedroom doors swing shut and lock behind you, meaning we had to prop the door open every time we went to the bathroom.

Perfect location in the city centre. Comfy beds. Great breakfast at cafe next door.

Cosy setting and great location in the centre.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Bath

The toilet in our room was un-flushed, if you know what I mean, and dirty when we arrived... despite the rest of the bathroom being clean.

Cosy setting and great location in the centre.

bed fine, but shower room not great
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Needs a shelf above the sink in the room as there was no place for toothbrushes etc. Shared bathroom not very modern, the temperature control only worked on one power setting.

Central and quirky. Comfy bed. Great Breakfast

Bathroom a bit small but well done for squeezing it in!

Lovely staff helped us to our room at the top which which suitably old style and quirky. Monster bed was very comfortable. Lovely teas to drink (but lousy coffee!) Breakfast at Turl Street Kitchen was huge and excellent. Thanks to all

Great breakfast and location, tiny rooms with shared bathrooms a bit of an issue.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Rooms were very small and we had to share the bathroom with 2 other rooms. The beds could be more comfortable but for a 1 night stay it was acceptable. The staff was polite but not always around to help with bags or questions.

Excellent complimentary breakfast- the cooked food was delicious and great coffee. The hotel's location is perfect and within walking distance to all of Oxford's attractions. The room was clean.

Good location but not for tall people!

At just under 6 feet, I was too tall for the room and had to hunch to avoid hitting my head on the beams. It would have been really considerate to let tall people know this before booking. I felt very uncomfortable having to bend over every time I wanted to move. The bathroom was so tiny that I had nowhere to put my toiletries. A little shelf above the sink would have been appreciated. The noise all night in the lane outside wasn't the fault of the owners, but I didn't get any sleep.

Very nice hosts, lovely old building, the location was excellent for central Oxford

The location was fantastic.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

The location was fantastic. You are on top of the highstreet but hidden away enough so that you done experience the hustle and bustle of everything. Within great walking distance to all the colleges and local sights. Breakfast at The Turl Kiychen was lovely.

This is a gem of a place.

This is a gem of a place. The location is on a quiet side street but right in the city center. The building itself is historic with a lot of character. Very clean.My room had a very comfortable bed and pillows, tea/coffee/biscuits, TV and closet. Breakfast is next door in a restaurant and you can order what you like from the menu. Friendly and accommodating staff. I'll return here.

Very pleased to find such a charming place to stay in Oxford and we will def return!

Only tiny quibble- breakfast was good but bacon a bit leathery!

Pretty room, comfy bed, nice bathroom stuff such as excellent shampoo, easy to use shower. Breakfast in cafe round the corner was friendly and good location. Taxis ordered quickly and efficiently. Allowed to leave luggage. Staff an absolute delight!

Nice for a short break.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

We had a shared bathroom & it could do with a bit of an update.

Used the park & ride, very cheap & very easy. Central position but in a quiet side road. Food is taken 30 secs. around the corner in a lovely cafe. Staff very friendly. Basic but quirky accommodation. Will happily stay there again.

Lovely, character room; great staff

The room was a bit warm - I should have taken the offer of a fan so my own fault

Charming room in a character property. Reasonably quiet street right in the heart of Oxford. Super helpful staff.

right in the city center
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

bad value for money, much too expensive for an accomodation with collective bath and toilets. carpet on the floor. Wifi difficult to catch

nicely situated, right in the city center, quiet place

Extra comfy bed.
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Extra comfy bed. Great placating for visiting oxford university open day. Great wholesome food Friendly staff letting us leave our luggage after we checked out at hotel whilst we went to the open day

Loved Oxford, hated the accommodation!!
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

We did not expect to walk outside and down the road for breakfast which was only adequate and no frills. The only plus for us was the central locality but in our opinion is only one level up from a back packers hostel. POOR!!!

we were most disappointed with the quality and the discomfort in the room, minimal ventilation, shared bathroom between 3 rooms, very hot and noisy with other guests returning late. The shower was difficult to adjust and a cross between being par boiled or blanched. Very poor nights sleep and for the price overpriced by at least 50%.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Great central location for Oxford City
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Shower just about average, breakfast was good quality but some things overcooked e.g. bacon and eggs.

Great location, clean and staff friendly and helpful.

Location location location

Lack of trained staff to book us in all felt a bit awkward and left to our own devices no top up of extra milk a slight irritation breakfast excellent

Location comfortable room

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

Very central B&B in Oxford
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Due to our room under the roof the wireless network receipt was really poor. Parking will be either very expensive or far from the accomodation.

You can hardly stay more central in Oxford. However it was very quiet. We came three hours to early but our room was already done and we could check-in. Thus we had plenty of time to visit the wonderful city of Oxford with its beautiful buidlings and shops. The Turl Street Kitchen, which serves the (full english) breakfast was without objections. I will definately come back to Oxford and would always book Tower Guest House again.

The property is really lovely with quirky decor and great...
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

One room was a little small to be the same price as the second room we booked. It was also very hot and looked out over the street which was quite noisy with students during the night.

The property is really lovely with quirky decor and great smelling soap! It was extremely well located in the centre of Oxford and the breakfast was absolutely brilliant!

Charming tiny hotel right next door to Jesus

The inn is a charming tiny hotel in the middle of all the beauty of oxford. To make it even better, the sister restaurant, just around the corner, serves delicious meals. And the concierge, Johno, is a gem.

Very comfortable, cozy with amenities in the room with a really great breakfast in a great location.
    • Deluxe Double Room

It was expensive however the location was good so it was likely comparable to others in the area.

Location was great, very cozy room and the breakfast was great.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Central Oxford - great location
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

Room is very small which may not suit all. But this is the nature of such an old building.

Location is great. Very central and very quaint. The breakfast is lovely.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Old old building

Floor was not level. Old building with no real doorknobs. I had to turn key in lock and push door to get in room. Staff not always there, and not in the evening. No door lock or latch on inside of door. I would not book here again.

Breakfast at Turl Street Kitchen was good.

• Reviewed: 5 May 2017

Our flight was delayed, someone waited for us beyond...
    • Double Room with Shared Bathroom

We had a room at the top floor, it was a little small for the two of us and our 2 suitcases.

Our flight was delayed, someone waited for us beyond midnight! The breakfast was awesome!

Charming B&B in the heart of Oxford.

The bed could have been a bit softer for my liking.

Great location with everything within short walking distance. Charming little B&B in an old house with narrow staircase and low ceilings and such in a quiet street. Very tasteful decor, very clean and quiet. Friendly and helpful staff. Delicious breakfast at the charming cafe on the corner. Would like to stay there again next time.