Reviews of The Upper House

The Green, Stoke on Trent, ST12 9AE, United Kingdom

#4 of 21 hotels in Stoke on Trent

A lovely find. Will definitely go back.

The young waiter at dinner would have benefitted from a little more training; he was very nervous and did not seem to know a wine glass from a beer glass. This is the only negative point though. Food was excellent.

The hotel is set in a lovely location and it was really nice to have a stroll around the gardens after dinner. The view from our room was stunning, looking out over the beautifully maintained flower garden. The room itself was comfortable, bright and airy. We would definitely stay here again.

Pleasant but lacking something.
    • Luxury Suite

Afternoon staff young and inexperienced, bar was hard to get a drink due to being unmanned, celebration from the night before not cleaned up properly, Maple suite (bridal) although very comfy decor dated and odd fitment of furniture Bathrobes not the cleanest having makeup still on them.

Pleasing to the eye on approach to the property, gardens and views very nice, perfect venue for all celebrations. Bedrooms and dining facilities are a decent size. Breakfast was the freshest I’ve had, and a good cup of tea.

Great place, super food, really comfy room!

Breakfast could have been a bit quicker arriving however this would not put me off going back

What a great place this is! Rooms are great, set in a beatiful location and in nice grounds. Food was great - breakfast and dinner! A great find, and I will be back

I must return!

Fabulous location with some wonderful walks nearby. Really helpful and friendly staff who go the extra mile to make your stay comfortable. Delicious food in generous quantities (almost too much) and a tasty breakfast freshly cooked to order. Lovely gardens

Great surroundings. A relaxing time
    • Executive Double Room

The dinner menu was a little restricted.

The grounds were fantastic. Breakfast was very good. The lounge was a very pleasant place to sit and drink coffee or wine.

I would recommend anyone to stay here and we enjoyed our visit.

The hook on the back of the bathroom door was hanging off and someone had tried to glue it to support the screw holes, without success. The mattress on the bed was too hard for my wife's preference but ok for me and it would be an idea to give a choice of pillows as they were so big my wife was unable to use them and had to fold up an unused towel to sleep on.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. The location was beautiful, especially as the weather was superb and we were able to sit outside following our lunch. The food presented at the Golden Wedding lunch that we attended was nicely presented and delicious.

A country house stay in the Midlands, worth the detour. And close to the Wedgewood Museum.

Our room was on the upper floor and, with a tall husband, some bending was required at times, but the room itself was spacious and the windows opened onto extensive lawns and gardens.

The setting was bucolic and completely unlike Stoke-on-Trent where we had to be to visit family. It was a wonderful escape from city and the sadness that has become Stoke. The house and grounds had belonged to the Wedgewood family and there were small reminders of that around. In addition, it is within easy driving distance to the Wedgewood Visitors Center and showrooms as well as outlet for those so inclined. The staff were helpful at all times. When we arrived with loads of luggage, the front desk receptionist cheerily volunteered to help us from the car all the way to our room. Breakfast was served in a grand dining with beautiful views. Dinner was imaginatively prepared and very good for an English hotel.

Just book The Upper House if you need accommodations near Stoke-on-Trent!
    • Luxury Suite

The staff at The Upper House were top notch. Nothing was too much trouble and any requests were promptly addressed. I needed transportation to the airport and Carolyn set it up with a transportation company that provided excellent, on-time service. The grounds of the property are peaceful and breathtaking. A real gem and highly recommended!

Wonderful experience with a great sense of history. Beautiful surroundings. Friendly staff Good Food

Bed very comfortable. Dinner and Breakfast excellent. Staff excellent. Beautiful surroundings. Staying in the Upper House gives one a great sense of history. Highly recommended.

Lovely quaint comfortable hotel with good staff

Tv didn’t work in the room no aerial lead Not a big selection for breakfast but what there was was good. Think breakfast should finish a bit later. Finishes at 9am

Beautiful grounds

It was an absolute joy to stumble across this lovely hotel. It will stay permanently on the satnav.

Summer weight duvet would be nice

Friendly and helpful staff. The setting and the grounds are outstanding. We will be back when we are up this way again

The gentleman on reception on our arrival was very helpful...

Should have called to information us of a wedding taking place and not relying on an email. I may have changed my booking

The gentleman on reception on our arrival was very helpful and welcoming

Pro active attitude is all it takes
    • Executive Double or Twin Room

We a felt a bit secondary to the wedding as we were seated in a separate eating area to the wedding guests. We ate our breakfast alone

We were told that there would be a wedding on so the hotel informed us ahead of the time and they were really busy and our lunch came really late. They didn't charge us for this which we appreciate as we didn't even get chance to complain. They were well aware of the time which I really appreciate. Pro active attitude.

Lovely staff and hotel, would reccommend
    • Executive Double Room

The Wedding on the night was not a problem, but the breakfast service was busy and very noisy although I had asked if it was going to be a problem - was told that the wedding guest breakfast is served in another room entirely - it was not.

The breakfast was excellent. The dinner before very good but portion sizes too big.

Good quality hotel , staff friendly.

Being able to close bathroom door Eggs were overcooked at breakfast both days. Ran out of kippers 2nd day Had to change rooms, no bath , only one easy chair, only one bedside cabinet, small windows.

Lounge decor

Lovely, comfortable stay, would book again.
    • Executive Double or Twin Room

Few children booked in on our night - lots of running up and down corridors. Would’ve love a room with a bath!

Beautiful location, beautiful, comfortable room, helpful staff. Partner ordered from the menu and said the food was nice too. Bathroom and shower facilities were excellent.

Lovely Country Mansion experience

Bar could be more stylish

The Potters breakfast was as new to me as it was delicious! The building , lounge & dining rooms are classically British

Lovely location and property.
    • Executive Double Room

Couldn’t open windows in bedroom due to sashes not operational. The main light fitting was a bit too modern for the rest of the decor 😉

Lovely location and property. Excellent breakfast with first class service from a very polite and friendly waitress.

Not up to the billing
    • Luxury Suite

The suite we had had not been cleaned properly there were cigarette ends on the balcony with rubbish and we found hair grips on the floor a broken nail, glass and other things !!!! We could not get a hot meal on the sunday nite as the restaurant was closed.

The food was very good on the Saturday Night and the size of our room was great.

Lovely hotel

Loved it all

Lovely hotel beautiful grounds nice quiet location but within easy reach of local attractions The rooms are all very clean with all you need for a short break Breakfast excellent

We had a beautiful time it was peaceful & relaxing, the...
    • Luxury Suite

I found the Maple room really needs a free standing bath within the room,I found the shower room wasn't like the quality of the rest of the house, the tile behind the shower itself was broken with drill holes in filled with silicone & the tile didn't match the rest within the shower

We had a beautiful time it was peaceful & relaxing, the house itself is stunning & very clean the staff are very friendly & made us feel welcome

Lovely change from the "Chain" hotels..
    • Executive Double Room

Lovely loction. Warm and comformable room, which was appreciated with the cold weather. Breakfast great - the full "Stafordshire" to be recommended. Friendly helpful staff.

We stayed at the Hotel for our golden wedding anniversary and it was the perfect venue. recommended

all good

The Staff were so friendly and helpful and attended to all our requests , the location was perfect for our stay and so quiet with in the room , we had the deluxe room first class , recommended with great views of the grounds .

Great place to stay, set in beautiful grounds
    • Executive Double Room

The room we had could have its lampshades repaired, even though the lamps worked the shades were broken. The carpet is due for a deep clean too

Bed was lovely and comfortable. The bathroom was greats the restaurant was fabulous and the food was equally as fabulous

We got married at the upperhouse last year and we went for...
    • Executive Double or Twin Room

We got married at the upperhouse last year and we went for the Valentines meal. As always the staff were fantastic, food amazing and rooms beautiful :)

What a Great Hotel.

I didn't like that I had to leave and especially that I wouldn't wake up to another tasty breakfast!

My Mother and I stayed here as we were to see a show at The Regent Theatre. The grounds were lovely as you drive up to the hotel- surrounded by greenery and walking routes if that interests you. The staff were amazing and so friendly- really could not do more. I was so impressed by the cleanliness of the whole hotel. The bathroom was to a very high spec and the toiletries they leave for you to use are some of the nicest I've ever smelt and used. So happy with our stay here. Not many guests when we attended breakfast so was lovely and relaxed. The breakfast meal was beautiful and the selection of self serving breakfast items was very tasty and nicely presented. I would highly recommend staying here. A bit of history within the hotel and everything smells amazing and so clean.

Noisy party below!

We had a room above the suite they use for party nights and unfortunately we were not told of a party on our first night and it was noisy and kept us awake. Also we were next to the air conditioning unit which kept turning on and off all night. The kettle also decided to switch itself on in the early hours which meant I had to get up to turn it off. I was there for a wedding and needed a good night's sleep but that did not happen and was consequently very tired. We really should have been informed that there would be a party below us but even when I mentioned it on checkout the lad on reception did not seem bothered, either about the disturbed nights sleep or the fact they may have a faulty kettle or are haunted. Not impressed with customer service. I did hear that another guest had received an email about the party and were moved to a quieter room, we received nothing and not even told when we checked in.

Lovely character hotel, with great grounds and scenery.

Wonderful country retreat

What a fabulous hotel! So comfortable and cosy. I stayed here after attending a party at the venue. The rooms were comfy and well appointed. The bathroom had lovely toiletries and there was a terrace just outside my first floor window. Staff were very accommodating at breakfast and there was plenty of choice.

A very comfortable overnight stay in a delightful countryside setting.

A well equipped room with a firm comfortable bed with access to a terrace balcony - excellent views. Some nice touches with glass bottles of waters (sparkling and still) and many soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc dispensers. Great shower over bath.

One of the best Hotels and settings I have stayed in - sorry that we could not eat / drink there.

NOTHING!!

Liked it ALL. Especially disappointed that we were not able to spend more time there. Would DEFINITELY stay again. Very friendly helpful staff. Lovely breakfast, served ultra fast because we were in a hurry! Squirrels on the lawn!!!

i

The bedroom was cute and comfortable. But the bed was a little too soft But it's what I am used to. Everything was good.

I was to late for breakfast that was my fault Staff offered to get me some thing But I just asked for coffee. Which was very good hot... thank you

Lovely semirural hotel for a quiet, comfy nights sleep.

If I'm honest evening meal was pretty average and did not reflect the price but otherwise everything else was ideal.

Silent nights sleep. Excellent breakfast. Historic building set in a lovely quiet location.

Overall ok but needs improvement and upgrading

Rooms are very small- when asked receptionist to remove the chairs the answer was ' well that's a lot of nuisance' Make-up mark on the sheet however the rest clean. We missed breakfast and wanted to have brunch but was not possible between 10-12.

We liked the location and the architecture of the building. Lovely surroundings and very quiet.

Adequate but could've so much more. Lots of wasted potential.

A lovely historic house but they did not make the most of it. The bar was just horrible and not inviting to spend any time in. Staff were not welcoming, didn't seem interested in engaging with me and on check out they just wanted my payment, no-one even asked whether I'd had a nice stay. Also, as a solo traveller I was given a small but cost room with a small single bed which, for £75, I felt was a bit of a rip off.

Location was pretty

Perhaps not as good as we had hoped.

Size of our room was very small, too small for 2 people to walk around it comfortably.It was a little scuffed and very chilly..When mentioned to staff we were told that the heating did not come on until 5-00pm.There was a bad stain on the carpet. Breakfast cut off is rather early for people on holiday(7-9am)No lie ins!!!

The evening meal was very good with plenty of fresh veg and a good main course. Cooked breakfast was excellent too. Bathroom was very clean and convenient. Staff very friendly and pleasant. It is peaceful , with wonderful views.

See above it perhaps unfairly colour thimgs
    • Executive Double Room

Reception staff good Chamber maid delightful Breakfast totally unacceptable We arrived at the stated time of 7 AM the cereals were not laid out Despite calling out hello nobody appeared At 7 17 after knocking on the Kitchen door (twice) our order was taken An apology would have helped We were then served an excellent breakfast

Facilities goood lounge particularity comfertable

The only good thing about the upper house is the location -...
    • Executive Double or Twin Room

The only good thing about the upper house is the location - set in lovely grounds - other than that - unless your attending a wedding or a function and are oblivious to everything - the upper house fell way short of expectations

overall good, I would stay again but would ask for a different room.

The room was so hot with only a small window and could hear the toilet filling up constantly which was really annoying

Staff were helpful and attentive and the food was amazing!

Very nice house in a convenient location
    • Executive Double Room

Decent cooked breakfast options although fruit, juice and cereal choices were limited. The living room is quite grand but the brown leather sofas were out of keeping with the house. Receptionist couldn't really recommend dining options near the hotel and just pointed out what was nearby (including Neil Morrissey's pub, Plume of Feathers - which was actually not bad) so we had to venture out and explore ourselves.

Set in really nice grounds and we had beautiful views from our bedroom. Very close to World of Wedgwood (which was primary reason for our visit) and other pottery studios and museums. Lots of parking outside hotel. Modern shower room. Comfortable bed.

DO NOT BOOK ON A SATURDAY NIGHT

Firstly I would like to say that the staff were very friendly and professional throughout but were clearly embarrassed at what is clearly a problem every Saturday night. I received an email the day before my stay saying that there was a wedding, clearly far too late to book elsewhere. The music was ridiculously loud as the room was just below my room and there were no other rooms free apparently. The music stopped at midnight as promised but there was a party into the small hours. I was offered a refund which I appreciate but it is still clearly disingenuous for a hotel to offer rooms when they know there are complaints every Saturday. I’m sure this is a great place to stay any other day of the week, just not on a Saturday! Incidentally I was also put in a disabled room in which the bathroom door didn’t close for safety reasons apparently. Not great for privacy. All in all not reflective of a 9.1 score on Booking.com so please beware

Excellent quality breakfast

Beautiful building and grounds, lovely stay.

Our initial room was terrible. We asked to be moved, which we were, but was met with a hostility at Reception. Such a shame as the rest of the hotel is beautiful.

Excellent breakfast and dinner

We couldn't fault it.

We liked everything.

Comfy bed, toiletries provided, tea and coffee making facilities, quiet room with a terrace. Varied breakfast menu. Helpful ,friendly staff. Beautiful grounds , great location.

Good location and setting and Wedgwood Centre nearby.

Slightly slow service /understaffed at breakfast ( wedding party present)

Good setting, and well refurbished building and interior with character due to Wedgwood family history/connection. Comfortable rooms.

Fantastic location however no bath which was expected and food was less than average

We ordered food from hotel for lunch, sandwiches which I thought were overpriced for bog standard bread and literally 3 wedges which were not seasoned and it was quite tasteless , really disappointed

The surroundings and countryside was fantastic wonderful location and great walks

Highly recommended

A lovely hotel in a beautiful setting. I will definitely have this as my first choice when staying in the area again. The restaurant service was excellent

Very pleasant indeed.
    • Executive Double Room

All fine, no issues at all

Hotel recently refurbished to very high standard. Gardens are just beautiful. Staff all very friendly and helpful. Food excellent. Perfect location for a Wedgewood visit.

The room was quite small but clean, bed was comfortable and...

The room was quite small but clean, bed was comfortable and the shower room was great as it was modern and new. If you are staying overnight have dinner in the hotel, I recommend you try the filet stake which was amazing.

Great area and surroundings

Seemed understaffed. Took a long time to get breakfast. Some guests left without eating. Food was good when it arrived. A lot of tables unavailable as they had dirty dishes left on them. Dirty dishes from previous night still in passage at 9:30 am. If there were enough staff would have been excellent.

Great area and surroundings

Quiet tranquil location in old historic home.

We were told the wrong time for breakfast and arrived late. The flustered waitress asked the cook if he could accommodate us and we were but we felt rushed. If you don't have transportation taxis take awhile to get to this location from Stoke on Trent.

Location is beautiful. Very quite and well manicured large yard. Dinner was absolutely amazing. Large portions but very very tasty.

Over priced disturbed 2nd night no veiw

Size of room had to bend down to look through window overlookinv bins and outdoor drinking area for function romm which had very loud music till midnight other guest were warned and given a quiet room

Nice traditional hotel in beautiful grounds

We received a 10% discount off the dinner bill for the 3 of 7 of the group as 3 of us were staying at the hotel - it would have been nice if they had just applied it to the total bill - a discussion of the discount at the table re who qualified and who didn't also wasn't really appropriate, especially as this was a family meal after a funeral.

Superb grounds, just a shame the sun wasnt shining. The rooms were well appointed if a little traditional for my taste but a lovely characterful hotel overall. The bar was a little soul-less so we sat in the lounge instead which was lovely leather sofas etc. Excellent food both breakfast and dinner - good value as well. Nice selection of wines.

We liked the quiet location and the beautifully manicured...
    • Luxury Suite

Only one person on duty in the breakfast room. Buffet table very depleted and not replenished. We were in plenty of time before service ended, therefore, expected to have the full choice readily available. Cooked breakfast was satisfactory. Tea was served, but coffee was help yourself.

We liked the quiet location and the beautifully manicured gardens. The view from our private terrace was amazing, sipping wine whilst the hot air balloon descended into the sunset was magical. Food was delicious, service impeccable.

Small rooms, poor customer service, restaurant expensive

Staff service was poor No late bar for residents Room was small Taps in shower were poor Lunch request was met with unhappy, miserable staff member Bed was hard pillows hard

Perfection!

There was nothing I did not like.

Everything was just great! Staff were really helpful and pleasant. The grounds are gorgeous. I only went there for a business trip but now want to take my family there for a holiday.

Lovely setting

Dining room was very full, we had to squeeze 3 on a table for 2, breakfast very good My bedroom on the 2nd floor had 2 windows but only 1 had a curtain. I did notice a blind in the morning on the other window but I couldn't reach it

Location was perfect for us, staff very friendly and helpful

Very pleasant and far too short

Bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was good and filling. Room was tastefully decorated as was bathroom. Space was sometimes a little limited when moving about in the room. We only stayed for one night so was unable to explore all the hotel facilities but the grounds were very well tended and very pleasant to stroll around in and the setting was excellent. If you like architecture and history then this hotel would be ideal with its association to the Wedgwood family.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Lovely hotel but avoid wedding

Parking was at a premium because of a wedding. Our room was noisy because of the reception then because of inconsiderate guests. In fairness the website does warn that they have a busy wedding season.

Beautiful country house in very well kept grounds. Great staff and good food.

Very good stay.
    • Luxury Suite

Would be nice to have service in lounge rather than having to go to bar. Also, would have liked a turn down service and paper. Just little extra touches.

Very good breakfast - much better than reviews I'd read. We had a lovely suite with views.

Great Stay Will Book Again.

Could of had more fresh fruit selection and a better breakfast menu as some combinations did not make sense. But overall great as my breakfast was lovely.

The hotel and the grounds were breath taking.

A cozy and quiet place with a beautiful garden to enjoy...

A cozy and quiet place with a beautiful garden to enjoy yourself and relax in the evening. Restaurant is great. We spent great time here and liked the place very much. Would definitely recommend it.

Peaceful setting for a comfortable stay.

I would liked to have had a sugar free muesli and plain yoghurt for breakfast. The cooked breakfast was delicious

The location is beautiful and peaceful. The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is very clean.

Beautiful country retreat

First room had a loose tap in the ensuite. We were moved to another room within moments of its being reported. So no complaints there!

Beautiful old house in lovely grounds. Tastefully decorated and carpeted inside with well appointed rooms. The staff were warm and friendly which added to the general ambiance.

Beautiful, has the potential for much more monumental upper placement ,had it been cared deservedly

The hotel is more oriented for occasions as weddings etc which overwhelms the staying only guests . extremely beautiful building , which should have been maintained and refurbished with more care and attention to the original finishes and detailing .Simple example as some original wooden carving and moldings have been sadly painted over ..We had no joy with no positive response of twice , requesting for replacement of the burned bulb of the bed side table.....

The grounds and lounge ...Historical beauty...

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

It was a delightful place for a short break and I very much hope to be back.

I was happy with a cooked breakfast but wondered what was available if one preferred continental. Maybe one could have asked but it was not immediately obvious from the buffet table.

The courtesy and helpfulness of the staff, the very beautiful setting and views, the decor. Also the afternoon tea and the evening meal.

Steeped in history

Standard coffee is filter - best to ask for a freshly made americano !

The location is amazing - lovely views from the grounds . Staff all very friendly and helpful. Our room had limited storage available for clothes - hanging space with 4 hangers and no drawer space . The connection with the Wedgwood family .

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

Outstanding hotel.

The coffee is great (Nespresso commercial) but the cup is only half full. Either buy smaller cups or run the cup longer, the capsule can cope with this (I sold Nespresso machines for 10 years).

Really friendly staff. Great location, excellent food.

Very good hotel, extremely friendly staff and comfortable room.
    • Luxury Suite

The food was good, but not excellent. Overcooked bacon for breakfast, not enough choice of cereal, yoghurt etc. (no croissants!), and main course at dinner slightly disappointing, with massive portions. One other minor gripe: for such a good hotel, the toilet accessories in the bathroom were inadequate. Soap in a dispenser (horrid!), and no other toiletries which one would expect at this level.

The friendliness of the service and the comfort of the room were exceptional. Wonderful location, beautiful views and grounds.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Lovely location, great staff, too much food!
    • Executive Double or Twin Room

Lack of ambience at dinner, very bright lights made for quite stark and non relaxing environment - may want to consider dimming the lights, adding candles to tables to improve the atmosphere. Also too much veg provided - not able to eat, great value for money but felt wasteful!

Friendly and helpful staff, beautiful building with nice facilities and interesting history. Lovely location and fantastic breakfast. Would definitely return.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

good base for Wedgwood in this stately home

unattentive staff at breakfast staff at reception could be friendlier food very acceptable but not over-impressed

perfectly located for Wedgwood factory nice building and quiet surroundings great wines loved the open fire in the lounge did what it said on the tin

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

Exvellent in all respects.

Very relaxing place to stay. Everything excellent quality.Log fire, great cooked breakfast, good quality coffee. Very comfortable room. Couldn't fault it.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

Good location for the Wedgwood factory

The Upper House is currently being refurbished and unfortunately we had one of the rooms yet to be done therefore the decor/furniture was rather dated and the bathroom in real need of upgrading. The shower itself was rather poor. That said, the staff were extremely pleasant and engaged politely and helpfully with the residents. I did feel rather sorry for the breakfast waitress who appeared to be working solo so management please take note. Once the refurb has been completed I'm sure the hotel will attract better ratings.

Good location for the Wedgwood factory and situated in a quiet, rural area (lots of green space, nice views and surrounding walks) off the main road.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

Fantastic !!!!!

Nothing- all fantastic

Everything. Fantastic location, beautiful hotel, comfortable room, excellent meal in the restaurant, great breakfast and very friendly staff. Will visit again.

• Reviewed: 10 January 2017

Comfortable, easy, relaxing

There could have been a bathrobe in the room.

The quaint 'Poirot'/'Ms Marple' feel of a country mansion coupled with modern facility of the wi-fi made necessary communications so easy and comfortable, hence everything else just so effortlessly fell into place.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Over priced for room size, very poor shower, overall disappointing

Very poor shower, impossible to maintain steady temperature, fluctuated between boing hot and cold. Not enough staff to cover busy breakfast service and front desk on Sunday morning. Wifi did not reach to our room on 2nd floor. Room very small for price charged.

Lovely breakfast. Staff very friendly and did their best but just not enough of them on duty to provide an appropriate level of customer service

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

Excellent for visiting the Wedgwoon Museum
    • Luxury Suite

Chaos one breakfast time with not enough staff; no fruit, no fruit juices, no plates on the buffet due to a coach load of other visitors having arrived down to breakfast before us (7.40 a.m.) and fruit, etc.not replaced by staff. Cooked breakfast, when it arrived, was not particularly tasty.

We stayed in a spacious suite with glorious views of the grounds and surrounding countryside. Very comfortable bed, good bathroom and very clean throughout. Excellent food in the restaurant at dinner. Very polite and helpful staff serving in the restaurant in the evenings.