Reviews of The Waverley Hotel

9, Pedley Street, Crewe, CW2 7AA, United Kingdom

#11 of 15 hotels in Crewe

Staff helpful and directed us to where we could get an...

There was bar and restaurant advertised when we booked but there was a small party in so residents had to go elsewhere to eat and drink.

Staff helpful and directed us to where we could get an evening meal. A very good breakfast.

Whirlwind visit to Crewe, but had a good resting place.

Overall nothing. This is an old building and therefore needs constant upgrading. We had a room in the old part and found it comfortable, warm and met out needs.

We enjoyed our visit to the Waverley. Having stayed before, this small hotel provided all services needed and I would come back again. Good value for money and the breakfast had a range of foods on offer.

Good value in a good location

Stayed in room 18 a twin - Cold tap wouldn't turn off fully and could do with having glasses in the bathroom and shelf over sink. Shower could do with a shelf in it to put products on. Main light in the room was very dim (needs stronger watt bulb in), no lock on bathroom (was ok for us but might be awkward for some sharing). Plenty of choice for breakfast but the cooked breakfast was a bit tasteless.

Easy to find and in a great location for the event we were attending, with plenty of parking. Room was very good for the price we paid, beds were very comfy. Staff were very friendly and the place was very clean.

Disappointing stay

I booked the hotel in July for our stay 1st Sept. There was a wedding the same night. Our room was number 6 above the patio so we had to close the window due to smoke and noise from the wedding. The room was very warm. Also the room was the first off the corridor so we had wedding guests walking past the door constantly, very noisy. I doubt the wedding was booked after my booking so it would have made more sense to put us at the opposite end considering we had a baby which I made them aware of when I booked. The room was tiny, u couldn't open the bathroom door fully as it hit the bed. We bought some crisps from the bar which were 3 months out of date, no apology or the offer to replace.

Staff were friendly

Cheap, clean and a great brekkie

Room was small but served the purpose - cosy and comfy. And we were able to park and check in late. We also loved our big breakfast in the morning and considered our stay very good value for money. Bathroom super clean too.

Comfy bed!

Room No. 16: mirror was squashed into the corner. Shower by the bathroom door which nearly broke my toe walking out. Through the night it sounded like there was a washing machine in the next room washing a pair of shoes, only way to explain the noise.

Comfy bed!! Staff were all lovely, location was perfect.

Really good and the bonus was that my grandson stayed with me for 2 nights.

The shower was very small, but I understand that it could not have been made bigger because of the size of the room.

Customer service was excellent.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Friendly staff. Comfortable, quiet stay.

En suite was dated, but clean.

The receptionist was welcoming and helpful. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable. I enjoyed a breakfast that was well-cooked, tasty and pleasantly served.

Would love to go back again

Everything was perfect lovely location close to all amenities

The greeting was excellent, room clean and comfortable, breakfast was also excellent staff very polite

Only staying 1 night which was enough, in the bedroom, glad to get out.

Room was awful.

Room was badly lit, all furniture and carpets were worn and dated. Was glad only staying overnight as the room was so depressing. Staff were friendly on arrival. Breakfast was fine no complaints.

Old building, but the room had everything we needed for one...

Only general updating.

Old building, but the room had everything we needed for one night. Shower very old but served the purpose. Breakfast great, staff very friendly.

Not much,
    • Family Room

The exit light in both rooms stayed on all night it was annoying and disturbed our night's sleep. The shower room was not clean. There where no closets or cupboards. Not enough staff present ( nobody around when checking out) Received a phone call from hotel before arrival saying maintenance work was been carried out on room and were not sure what time I could check in. Very disappointing.

Not much,

Very comfy bed.

Shower was a little awkward.

Very comfy bed. Breakfast was lovely. Despite hotel being full it was lovely and quiet. Staff nice and welcoming. Nice beer garden. Good wifi.

Surprising

1. Bathroom without shower: In the bathroom, there is no shower. There is a bathtub and water taps. This information was not in the room description. 2. Bathroom - location of mirror: Mirror is not over the sink. So when you are shaving you need to go back and forth between the mirror and sink, 3. Room beyond noisy: I asked for a quite room with a note during booking. There were repairs in the next room(s) so there was a very heavy drilling type of noise for a few hours. (If I knew this, I would book another hotel)

1. Good location - between train station and city center, 2. Clean

Comfort and convenience in Crewe
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

A quiet location despite proximity to the station. The 'apartment' was in fact a dinky two bedroom house with a cosy living room and small but sufficient kitchen/ diner. It was kitted out with crockery and cutlery, which was useful as we had a take away meal. There are two supermarkets and plenty of restaurants/ take aways within 5 - 10 minutes walk depending on what you are looking for. The staff were very polite and helpful. A good facility for a small family or group of up to four to stay . Not sure what the rest of the hotel was like, but the foyer and restaurant / bar area looked clean.

Great location with parking.

Great location with parking. Friendly staff, clean rooms, good breakfast, the hotel has a bar though I didn’t use it on this occasion. Will certainly be back again!

they provide single rooms, so wasn't forced to pay for...

couldnt get internet in room, had to go to lobby

they provide single rooms, so wasn't forced to pay for double like in chain hotels, and excellent breakfast

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

No Restaurant

The size of the shower was very small I am not a large person in fact I am petite and I struggled to manouvre in the shower. The bedroom was small and uncomfortable as one window didn't open and it was too hot. The hotel states that it has a licensed restaurant but that is not available only on a Sunday afternoon. We only went for that hotel because of the restaurant, being in a place we didn't know well we thought it would be easier to eat and drink in the hotel as we were only staying the one night.

It was clean and tidy and the staff were very pleasant. Breakfast was good and situated in the restaurant.

A good place to stay

Easy to find and a short walk from the railway station, comfortable room, friendly and very helpful staff. Even provided me with a take away breakfast as I was leaving before the dining room was open.

Travelling by rail through Crewe? This is ideal.

Nothing. The hotel ticked all my boxes!

1. Location for rail travellers. It is the second closest hotel to the railway station (after the Crewe Arms Hotel), less than five minutes' walk. 2. By prior arrangement, I was able to check in c 1330 and take a shower before heading out for the afternoon / evening. 3. The night porter provided a good breakfast tray for me c 0515. 4. Staff really welcoming.

I would stay here again.

There was a long hair in my cooked breakfast. The waitress asked, if wanted her to get someone but I just asked her to get me some cereal instead, which she did.I was using crutches and the waitress was very helpful!

The shower cubicle was small with no rail to hold on to.

The staff were delightful and the public rooms had a fresh...

Our room was clean but tired, The Shower was old, tight to get into and water pressure poor. A hot night, no aircon, opened window, result loud late night music and laughter from local pub. Poor nights sleep

The staff were delightful and the public rooms had a fresh clean look to them

If you are looking for a basic hotel this is it.

We had a room in the main part of the hotel which is dated. Even though very clean. It was dark which did not help by the fact the bedding was red. The bathroom is dated. The shower cubicle was tiny & my husband just about managed to fit in it. The room we stayed in could do with brightening up & also the bathroom being replaced.

The breakfast was very good. It made a change from the usual buffet breakfasts you receive at other hotels. Surprisingly the bed was comfortable. Room & bathroom was very clean. My mum & our daughters stayed in the 2 bed apartment which was fantastic, it made our stay easier. We also liked the fact that we could take our dog anywhere in the hotel. Which was the bonus.

Only two gripes otherwise a great hotel with a friendly atmosphere.

No WiFi in our area of the Hotel, had to go to reception area to get connection. We were not told before we arrived that there was going to be a party on Saturday night, too late to make other arrangements.

Nice comfy bed, good choice for breakfast, hot powerful shower, friendly staff.

Never again.

Accom very basic - indeed poor. Window did not open in this heat. Net curtain shawdy and torn. Not properly cleaned.

Staff very friendly. breakfast good.

The hotel is ok for a night or two with free parking.

The shower was very tiny - I am not a big person but I have problems turning around in the shower. And there was plenty of room in the bathroom for a bigger shower cubicle. Also no floor mat so water was everywhere. Very few sockets and very dark in the room.

The hotel is ok for a night or two with free parking.

Mediocre

Booked a twin room on behalf on my husband and his friend, they were given a double, which with 2 6ft plus men, not appropriate nor comfortable! Were told they also could not change the room as the hotel was full, no compensation was offered either, disappointing on all counts

I`ve stayed at the Waverley on several and always found it...

The shower was a bit on the small side but it was no big deal.

I`ve stayed at the Waverley on several and always found it clean,excellent breakfasts,very polite and courteous staff at a very good price, and when golng to Crewe will stay there.

You get what you pay for

Poor bedroom ,average breakfast,noisy location due exiting night club(the World Cup was on however!).Great staff though. Looks great for Sunday lunch’s! Secure car parking

Hotel was adequate but take earplugs for the Saturday nights.

Room was adequate but bathroom was not clean with a tile under sink hanging off. Had to pass a pile of black waste bags at the entrance from an adjacent company. Was not informed that on the Saturday night there was a disco till midnight.

Very convenient for services. Bed was comfortable.

clean and comfortavble, friendly staff, excelleant value for mney.

Walls a bit thin could hear occupants and children running around in the adjacent room and hallway

It was basic but very clean, confortable and friendly place to stay for the night. It suited our needs

It’s just bog standard.

There’s so much they could do better and I bet they already know that. If they just open their eyes and look how quickly the world changes they’d jump into action smartish!!

It’s just bog standard. There’s no TLC. It’s just a business to them and that’s it. They need to move it forward.

Perfect!

The bed was a little too hard for us but that's just personal preference & we slept perfectly fine, so all's good.

The staff were fantastic & could not of been more welcoming. Ample parking & easy to get too. I'd asked for extra pillows & a ground floor room as I cant manage stairs & both were provided. Unfortunately, we could not make it to breakfast as I could not physically get ready in time, they stopped serving at 8.30am weekdays & it was 9am by the time I could be ready to leave the room. But i know from other reveiws breakfasts are lovely & the odd smell, smelt good! 😊 It's a lovely quiet hotel for a good night's sleep, the bathroom is of a good size, ample towels & thoroughly clean! The outside area is really gorgeous with blooming flowers & lovely seating areas to sit in the sun & relax. A charming hotel, catering for all needs & will definitely return! Thankyou!

Comfortable and good value with conveninet parking.

The shower room could do with modernising. The shower has a fixed head, and the temperature is hard to get right. Then if you turn round you knock the lever and the temperature changes again. Quite a lot of noise from nearby restaurants and pubs, especially on Saturday night to Sunday morning.

Bed was comfortable. Quite a lot of storage in the room. Tea and coffee making facilities there. Breakfast: a wide range of food available and plenty of it. All staff we met were friendly and helpful.

You will be happy if you don’t expect 5 star

No heating in the room, radiators we’re off. Breakfast staff seemed very grumpy and unhelpful

Room was clean and cozy, afternoon reception girl was very friendly an helpful

Fair for the value

Room looks old with small window and small shower (Room 20) and it was very far up there. I did ask to change the room but they said it was full. Maybe this is just about my room. I saw other room when they are cleaning and it looks nice and comfortable. No hairdryer in the room need to go down to borrow from reception. And overall i strongly suggest to ads some lighting. Reception looks old since not enough lighting. Also restaurant.

Very near crewe station. And makes me easier to travel everyday. Very basic breakfast but not bad at all. It can full me up.

No wifi

Wi-fi doesn’t work in the rooms. When I told the receptionist she said “I’ve reset it, there’s not much more I can do”.

Has a Car park. At £55 it’s ok value. Breakfast was good. Fine if you’re on you own away for work etc.

Good comfortable stay, excellent value for money
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The house was a little dated and grubby in places, not dirty just old and stained, and the kitchen could have done with a hob maybe?

The room we stayed in was basically a terraced house so excellent size, close to the hotel but fair away enough to not be noisy at all and the kids loved playing in the front garden/paved area.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom house just down from the main hotel.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

We stayed in a 2 bedroom house just down from the main hotel. It was clean and comfortable but could do with some tidying up in places. Disappoint was no cooker in the house. All in all a very pleasant stay

The rooms were comfortable, the staff were friendly and helpful, the food excellent.

Slightly larger bathroom with a bath would have been appreciated, however I realize that in an older building with smaller rooms this is not always possible.

The room was clean, the bed comfortable and I had everything I required, including internet use. Breakfast was amazing and far exceeding my expectations.

Reasonable value for money but wouldn't rush back. Lovely, helpful staff.

Shelves needed in the en suite for your bits and pieces.

The lady on Reception for our check-in was lovely. The room was quite basic but clean. No frills but reasonable value for money. Not in the nicest of areas but ok-ish. Very handy for anybody needing to be close to the station. Quite a lot of noise from nearby pubs.

Cheap, extremely basic hotel.

The hotel is old and tired. (Not old and quaint) It needs a lot of money spending on it to bring it up to a decent standard. This type of hotel isn't acceptable these days. **HOWEVER...... Read what I did like.

** HOWEVER...... The breakfast was plentiful and freshly prepared by a chef. ALL the staff were very friendly and did their best to make everyone's stay a good one. Special mention to Leanne (Receptionist). A lovely lady with a caring nature. The hotel was seemingly busy. In perfect location for the town centre and the railway station.

Return to the Waverley (again)

Repeat stay... walking distance from railway station, comfortable room/bed and breakfast included... couldn't ask for more. Older but we'll kept hotel. Please be aware...rooms are a bit smaller than one might expect and there is no lift, but staff is willing to assist with luggage...all in all...a Good stay!

Really nice and cosy place, definitely recommended!

The only think that didn't work well was the wifi (at least in my room). I couldn't get signal even for my mobile phone. I worked from the hotel reception area, where the signal was good, though.

The staff was very nice and friendly. The hotel per se was tidy and clean. Strategic location (very close to the train station) for travelers. Breakfast was really good and big.

Great rooms, poor service and staff

No breakfast - It is only served between 07.30 and 08.30 . . never come across this before. Woe betide you if you arrive at 08.32. The one person on duty was not on reception when I arrived and I ( and another guest) had to go and get her out of the the Kitchen. This happened 3 times in the evening and affected those waiting for meals, service and drinks at the bar. I met some of the other guests and they gave up like me and went out for a meal and drinks

The accommodation was very good

Adequate but unlikely to stay again

Evening food poor. television in room was a small old TV - not flat screen and the picture was distorted. When I arrived the room had a chemical smell. As it as fully booked i could not change rooms

Staff friendly. Quiet location.

stay in crew spoilt by hotel.

single beds duvets a little small kept wakeing up with no duvet cover on.bathroom very small unable to wash or shave properly.cleanliness a bit short in room bits all over carpet windows filthy and could do with a lick of paint

breakfast and service very good,

Nice stay. Good value for money. Would stay again.

Decor a Little outdated however did not effect our stay. The shower was quite small and hard to manoeuvre in. There wasn’t a huge range for the cold breakfast

Got what you paid for , staff very friendly and welcoming. Cooked breakfast was good. Bed very comfy.

Convenient location. Adequate for purpose

Clearly geared to 'working mans' week' - evening meals Mon-Thurs only. Good early breakfast tray - but not offered spontaneously when I checked in, oly after another guest who had stayed previously requested one!

Ver convenient for Crewe Railway Station.

The breakfast times are far too rigid for...
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The breakfast times are far too rigid for holiday/leisure guests. Couldn't even get some tea and toast at 9am..."breakfast finished" 😠

Staff were excellent, but until the rooms have been fully renovated the cost per room is to high

The room we stayed in number 22 was in a very tired state of decour, windows were dirty and curtains difficult to draw. The bed and pillows were very hard and the duvet was only just adequate. The bathroom basin was very difficult to use due to a glass shelve positioned right over the bowl. The shower cubicle is very small and the shower tray was split, general condition of the grout and seal of the tiles was poor and dirty looking. Although wifi was available we were unable to login (kept on saying password incorrect) informed front desk who said they would reboot, this was still not resolved although other guests had also complained.

The staff were excellent, very polite. The breakfast facilities were very good.

Super Hotel for the Westworld Weekend.

Great location for our annual trip to Crewe for the Westworld Weekend. Superb care & attention from all the staff, very helpful, couldn’t do enough to ensure we enjoyed our stay, clean & tidy throughout. Great breakfasts, good quality & served very quickly. A perfect place to stay for us which was reasonably priced.

A small point, but in the shower in the room, there was nowhere to put one's soap or flannel. A small soap container stuck to the wall in the shower would be very useful.

Everything was well organised, and the staff were friendly and helpful. For £45 a night including breakfast, it was outstanding value.

Really enjoyed it, would stay again if I was in the area

Nothing, it exceeded expectations

Room was clean and comfortable. Had a great night's sleep. The breakfast was fantastic, staff were very friendly and helpful

Great value for money

Decor was outdated and could do with an update. Showers weren't the best either although hot water was on tap. Otherwise great like hotel close to town.

It was close to town with pubs and places to eat readily available. It was also clean and tidy. Great parking facilities.

Brilliant stay, was a perfectly run hotel

Accomdation was supberb. Clean rooms, and staff who worked there honestly couldn’t of been better and done more for us. 10/10 hotel, no complaints whatsoever

comfortable room and great value food hosted by excellent staff

some of the rooms features were a little dated but still clean and comfortable. My room (Room 1) had a very hot radiator close to the toilet and this could cause someone to get burnt if not careful. suggest turning this radiator down to a less hot setting as the room would be warm enough even at the lower setting as it is not a big bathroom.

the staff were extremely helpful and friendly and the food was beyond my expectations and very good value! I would have paid more for the food than they asked and still been happy.

Disappointing.

Come back to the hotel on Saturday night and walked straight through somebody's party then when we came down to breakfast the next morning it had not been cleaned up so the carpet was covered with food and decorations. Shower was very small and towels were not bath towels as didn't go around me and I'm not large. Overal a disappointing stay and will not stay again.

Beds were comfortable.

Pleasant enough place handy for the shops

No shower in our room but a bath still cleans you, heating never came on as room cool in the afternoon, coffee at breakfast not that nice.

Room was a good size beds comfy, breakfast was good choice enough, staff friendly and smiley .

Central location, parking facilities and decent breakfast.

Overpriced for very dated rooms. They were clean but lighting was extremely poor and rooms were tiny and old. Seemed short staffed but they tried there best. The room you have breakfast in is also the function room, they had a party the night before and hadn't cleaned up or hoovered so there was table confetti all over the floor.

Central location, parking facilities and decent breakfast.

The receptionist couldn't be more helpful and she was...

The receptionist couldn't be more helpful and she was doing everything bar reception serving meals and was really pleasant and the food was good excellent value for money

Very comfortable and handy for Crewe Station which is 4 minutes walk away.

Shower was a bit dated and could not get hotter than lukewarm water.

Bed was very comfortable and I had a great night's sleep. Room was quiet and warm. Plenty of drawer space - unlike other newer hotels where you get 0 drawer space and have to use suitcase as a drawer. Good breakfast and attentive service.

Not good.

Having driven for 5 hours, to arrive at an hotel to find no food served after 8, told to go to local restaurants or takeaway and to add insult to injury big notices in hotel saying “only food purchased in hotel to be consumed in hotel” so couldn’t even order a takeaway

Good breakfast

Very handy hotel in Crewe

Limited toiletries and no shower cap, but this is reflected in the price.

Nice traditional hotel, well run with friendly staff. Good value evening meals and good breakfast.

joyless beyond tired hotel

the notice at the entrance and in bedroom in bold capitals that only food bought on the premises could e eaten there but their restaurant isn't open on three days of the week. the equally aggressive notice in the room strongly advising to check the remote control for TV present and advising that guest will be charged if it is found to be missing. felt like i was in a institution not on holiday in a hotel. the fixtures and fittings in the hotel were budget 1970's .

staff professional

Not great. But I’ve stayed in FAR worse places.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

We wanted to have breakfast but were told we COULDN’T as there was an event on, and there are big signs up saying you can’t bring food into the premises. So we had to take the children over to the station and eat “breakfast” there from vending Machines.

Close to station

Lovely hotel and staff. There for us after a very stressful day

Heating was on very hot throughout the night but I didn’t check the radiator if it could be turned down so maybe that’s my own fault.

Very comfy bed lovely decor too

Good value for when you’re just looking for a bed for the night.

The hotel is very dated and basic so perhaps not somewhere you’d go for anything more than a bed for the night

The place was spotless, staff were really friendly and helpful and breakfast was delicious

Very comfortable and relaxed, great value, I would stay here again.

Nothing really it was all great, however I did forget that the restaurant is closed Friday, Saturday Sunday (except for Sunday lunch) but this only allowed me to explore the local area and its many eateries (I would recommend TJ's chip shop at 2 Nantwitch Rd, only a couple of minutes walk from the hotel).

Breakfast was great, plenty of choice on offer and in abundance. Within the reception area there was a wide selection of leaflets for local attractions. I had stayed here a week earlier and taken advantage of a hearty evening meal (also plentiful in execution with a wide variety available).

I recommend anyone staying in enjoyed my night here. The drinks were a reasonable price. Excellent

I liked everything about this hotel is rate it 10/10. Excellent

The room was clean, the bed was clean and comfy, the room was warm, there was smocking facilities outside and a shelter to keep you dry. The breakfast was amazing. The staff were friendly.

Best value in the country.

Nothing it was great.

The hotel is comfortably furnished with a leaning to the traditional, the room was quiet allowing for a good nights rest and came equipped with all that was required. The restaurant menu was wide, varied and excellent value, as was breakfast.

Good location for station and relatively cheap. Thin walls but good staff.

Paper thin walls and a loud and noisy woman swearing for hours in the room next door. It was like she was in the room with me! No working bulb in the main light and the WIFI password didn’t work.

STOP ADDING MORE ‘BONUS QUESTIONS’ BOOKING.COM - IT IS ANNOYING

Could do wi th updating.

It is very tired and the quilts were very thin. The bedding was very worn. It could do with updating. It was a little cold in the room but to be fair the weather conditions were extreme for the time off year . The shower doors were loose and the towels shabby.

The breacfasr and staff

Nice Hotel close to Crewe station

The food in the restaurant was not very good. Definitely missing flavor. The hotel has no lift and quite steep stairs. The rooms were very small, cold and damp. Generally needs a bit of refurbishing.

The hotel was okay. The breakfast was good. They had a good selection of cold and hot food. I had diner one time at the restaurant. The bed had a good size and was comfortable. Easy access to the train station is a big plus. Trains to Scotland, Wales, London and Manchester run multiple times per day. The hotel also has a good sized car park. Room was clean and most of the staff nice.

Nice hotel near Crewe station

Happy with everything

Conveniently located near Crewe station. A traditional type of hotel, pleasant to stay in. I appreciated the fact that the receptionist changed my room so I would not be disturbed by a wedding party.