Reviews of The Wheatsheaf Hotel by Good Night Inns 3 stars

London Road Virginia Water, Virginia Water, GU25 4QF, United Kingdom

#3 of 3 hotels in Virginia Water

Hotel needed refurbishment shabby in area bar, restaurant. Bathroom also required work. Extractor in Bathroom was sooooo noisy .Such a good position Green King need to spend cash on smarting up interior and exterior.

scot. Room was a good size. Food good. Staff very helpful. Easy parking. Lovely hot shower and bath

The rooms were fine but I would not expect any other in working pub/hotel. The location for the golf course is perfect.

The staff are amazing and make you feel so welcome They work so hard and are forever smiling . Big thank to them

It was all good no real negatives, except prices hiked up to over £200 for the night when Wentworth golf is on

Everything including free car parking and lovely breakfast

I didn't like that house keeping did not appear to wash my bathtub once during my 3 night stay. I also struggled to get hot water from the shower - water from the bathtub tap was really warm but not for the shower. The pipes are also incredibly loud when the taps at the sink are turned on.

The staff were super friendly and helpful. The rooms were comfy and quite spacious. The food was good and the hotel is in a superb location.

Next to busy road and traffic lights.

Good location and good restaurant below. It’s good without being amazing. Great location for Wentworth golf club but unfortunately the prices go up for tournament weeks.

Room was very poor, decoration, cleanliness, curtains hanging off rail, toilet seat not fixed down, bathroom mirror light not working, paintwork badly damaged and plaster missing in several places. We stayed in Room 2

Excellent location, good food in evening and superb service by "Mikey"

No lift to bedrooms which we was not aware of as we are disabled and had to climb quite a few stairs, I had put on my reservation through booking.com that we had walking difficulties so it was a shock when we arrived, they said they were not aware of our problems but offered to carry our luggage

great pub/restaurant ,,Food and service was good ,,staff very friendly , room was nice with air con/heat , nice big bathroom

Shower was so old it wouldn’t turn off. Considering how expensive the room was I was disappointed I could hear my neighbour using the toilet and coughing and humming! No sound proofing. The room was really noisy and the floor creaky.

Staff were friendly

Loud traffic sounds into the bedroom. My evening meal order didn’t come for 45 minutes and when I asked a young girl where it might be she replied that my starter was no longer available! Another waiter came up but didn’t apologise, explain 45 minute delay etc. The manager stepped in with a free glass of wine and a different starter which was nice of him. Maybe some training for some of the staff might be an idea?

Lovely downstairs and convenient for the work I was doing the following day.

Bed very hard in room 2. Decoration of hotel in general very poor. Our room had other peoples litter in the bedside drawers. No toiletries in the bathroom. Parking a problem.

Excellent location

I'd let waiters pick the orders at tables instead of having customers go to the counter. Not a big deal, but it ruins romantic atmosphere.

the room was very comfortable and the food was simply delicious. I love their dog, she is sooooo cute! Everybody is kind and ready to help!

The room was small, the bed was very uncomfortable, the shower flooded the very dated bathroom, there was no telephone in the room, the tv was small, the tea coffee facilities were very poor, the noise from traffic outside on the main road was really really loud (I was in room no 5 right next door to the traffic lights outside. Every time someone left the pub downstairs the door slammed underneath my room - horrendous! I checked out at 6 o’clock am the next morning and there was no one and nowhere to drop the key so I had to post it through the main door. It was very very basic and not worth the £55 - I paid for one night. I had booked for two night and cancelled the second. I really wish I could have cancelled both nights! Do not stay here if you are expecting a restful night and comfortable, quiet surroundings

The location next to Virginia water park was nice - shame about the guest parking - non existing nightmare to park over the weekend!!!! The check in man was very nice - he was expecting me to kick off about the parking nightmare when I finally got a space an hour after arriving at the property!

The room

Myself and my husband love this hotel it’s our weekend away treat had no problems before but this time was a nightmare took an hour to park there should be places kept for people staying at the hotel. The room we had was the worst room so far dirty the toilet was blocked all night it smelt disgusting,and the air con didn’t work had a terrible night sleep SO HOT. The room cleaner had left dirty washing in our room not nice but on the up the staff are lovely nothing is too much for them. But I’m afraid too say we might be rethinking staying again so sad😩

Coffee not as hot as it could be with breakfast. Nowhere on counter area to keep coffee warm. When put back on Warner was behind the bar - no access unless staff present. Hard to work out heating in room. A number of defunct switches made it even more confusing. Tap turned round on washbasin.

Great welcome from staff. Pleased that we reported issues with our room as we booked out.

Parking was very poor, I know it is near an National Park area but for paying residents you would think that parking would be reserved.

Location to venue I was attending was good.

There was no seat on the toilet!! I don't know how this wasn't noticed by staff and reported. I went for breakfast around 8.30, so not too late, but they had started to clean the pub (you have breakfast in the bar area) so all I heard was hoovering while I ate. Slight lack of attention to detail - eg breakfast order was wrong, not given any info when checking in, no toilet seat

The room was spotless and had everything I needed (almost). The bed was comfy. The hotel is on a busy main road, but the windows kept out most of the noise. Didn't hear any noise from other rooms so wasn't disturbed by anyone

I found three long black hairs - one on the desk, one on edge of basin and one on the bath. Whilst these my have belonged to housekeeper rather than previous guest? I think three hairs is totally unacceptable.

Room was spacious and bed comfortable.

Had to walk through the pub to get to reception. Sitting in the restaurant, there was no waiter to take an order for dinner or drinks. Had to go to the bar and order food and drink. This would’ve been okay if I’d been told that when seated.

Liked the location.

Could not open the windows. This was for our own safety.

Great location. Right next to the lake with many leisure trails and Windsor Great Park. Fantastic Italian restaurant just over the road.

Breakfast was good on the Saturday but not as good on the Sunday, seemed like it had been re heated and not fresh so very disappointed with that. Also was not allowed a coffee from the machine with breakfast had to be a coffee in the packets, so no latte with my wife's breakfast which she loves.

Great location, great selection of beers from the bar and good food

Fantastic location close to where I needed to be, clean and a fab restaurant. On check out the young man on the desk went above and beyond on providing onward travel arrangements and extremely helpful should be commended on this as it's rare these days. Thank you Wheatsheaf hopefully I'll return and spend more time on the lovely Virginia Water area .

Location was fantastic for visiting south London for Business, Staff wear very help full food was excellent with a great choice on the evening menu. and if you had the time some fantastic walks in Windsor Great Park.

Had no tv poor reception , in all rooms as asked to change room , think due to snow

Bar food was nice and fairly priced , got a free upgrade which was nice

• Suite

One guest ordered the pie which was rather too well cooked which was disappointing

Property in a lovely location at Virginia Water which was just what we wanted. Bit nervous about service in the restaurant as read some negative reviews. However, the staff were very helpful and attentive.

STEEP STAIRWAY UP TO ROOMS, WITHOUT HELP IT WOULD HAVE BEEN IMPOSSIBLE TO GET LUGGAGE UP TO ROOM, STEEP TO CLIMB ANYWAY

GREAT LOCATION, GOOD FOOD,COMFORTABLE ROOM

• Suite

Parking can be hard to find as it is very busy during the day

The suite was a good size, bed was very comfortable and location was nice and quiet. Decent price too. Would stay again.

Rooms starting to be a little dated, but still more than good

Nicely decorated in public areas, friendly staff, great food with good vegan / dairy free options

• Suite

Arrived to discover breakfast not included in quite expensive room price (and since I searched Booking.com for B&B, I would have expected it.) I was expecting a homely place, but it's a commercial pub/restaurant on a busy main road. Very impersonal. Never spoke to staff at all after check in... Parking was stuffed during the day with none reserved for guests.

Room was nice. Bed comfortable, shower/bath excellent.

The service for dinner was quite poor in terms of being seated and waiting to order, there's also no preferential treatment for guests of the hotel.

I liked the fact that the hotel was close to the park. The breakfast was very well managed and attentive with good service. The room facilities were spacious and had everything we needed.

The bed's mattress was wrecked on one side, the bathroom fan was very noisy, the toilet ran all night, the internet was very poor, the room was very cold in January, and the heater was an old rudimentary thing that was difficult to understand how to work.

The restaurant downstairs was very comfortable. The staff upgraded my room when I asked for a quiet room and the ones at the back were available. That was nice.

Bedroom far too hot in the night. Tired decor. Food in restaurant was average, but some items unavailable as were some beers.

Location backing onto Virginia Water

The bathroom was awful - clean but awful. The toilet pan was loose; the toilet seat was loose. If you turn the hot tap of the basin on just a little, it makes a noise like a machine gun. The washer in the basin waste plug is worn and lets the water out so you have to leave the taps running while you wash or clean your teeth - very wasteful. The bed is 'Emperor' size but the duvet is 'King' size so, because we each sleep facing outwards, one or other of us was always uncovered. The room decor is 'was-nice' and needs updating.

The evening meal was very good. The bed was huge! The room was warm and the water hot. The hotel location is immediately beside the Virginia Water park so you could walk straight out of the hotel, across the car park and into the park

Decoration of the rooms and shower wasn’t brilliant, but then it was very cheap for the location, and still worked ok so I was satisfied.

Staff were very friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

The bar was covered with dirty glasses and tables full of dirty plates that hadn't been cleared away. The bedroom was dated, the mattress a pile of springs and the TV on the wall you couldn't see, was tiny! And it made an awful noise when it lost the signal every minute or so. Breakfast was a disaster, cleaners turning up after 7am to start cleaning whilst your trying to have breakfast. No breakfast set up on day 2. The service was poor; although staff were friendly enough they did not seem to know who was doing what, complete chaos!

Staff were great, friendly and helpful despite being a bit overrun by the multiple Christmas parties. The restaurant is excellent value for money, and the room was clean and comfortable. The parking fills up; although it is meant to be for hotel/restaurant guests only, it seems a lot of people use it to avoid paying for the Windsor Great Park parking.

curtains to be updated... they are very old looking and like "grandma's curtains". Also apart from 1 member of staff (as mentioned above) the rest of the staff were terrible. Stood at reception to check in and he was "too busy" to welcome us so we stood there while we waited for his eye contact. he was too busy flicking through a folder. then couldn't find his scissors to cut the bottom bit if my invoice so he ripped it off!!! We had lunch and we asked for ketchup and the waitress said "yes but I m really busy at the moment". And finally the gentleman when checking out was so rude. no, "did you have a nice stay?" or friendliness about him..... very off putting and not the last vibe to have as leaving as it does question if I was to return.

the hotel was very clean and I could not fault this at all. Very kindly got upgraded and there was only 1 member of staff I could sing full of high praises. I didn't catch her name but she has long blonde hair and possibly management. SHE WAS LOVELY AND NOTHING WAS TOO MUCH TROUBLE. A STAR SERVICE FROM HER..... the others however....not so much.

• Suite

A little welcome to the room. "Here is a complementary bottle of water. Here is a biscuit to go with your cup of tea after your long journey. Here is a glass for your water instead of a disposable plastic one" Not much extra but it's the small touches that make for good

The staff were just great and so welcoming

Room travel lodge standard, shower head disgusting, staff woeful, breakfast not ready at opening time, what was presented looked awful, no receipt available on check out, still waiting for the receipt to be emailed!

nothing very basic

Barking dogs in the bar. I’m not against dogs but I really feel both the owner and staff should have asked the nuisance to leave.

Wonderful experience. Totally customer focussed

• King Double Room

Rooms were very dated, TV was poor (remote was hit n miss), several lights didn’t work & the curtains weren’t sufficiently attached.

Great location, very friendly & helpful staff. Breakfast was very good.

Bed was awful, could feel the springs in the mattress! Had to take a sleeping pill to get to sleep.

Excellent lunch and excellent staff. Very convenient, on Windsor Great Park with great walks , on A30 , easy to access area.

The traffic outside

Breakfast was busy as there was only one waiter on. The staff are very welcoming and seem to enjoy their jobs. The only thing they want is new windows as the traffic noise is annoying at night. I am used to it but my wife didnt sleep very well Shall have a bed at the back next time other then that it was a good night

• Suite

Room was not cleaned the time we were there beds towels etc

Staff were very pleasant room was pleasant bed was abit to soft mattress I think could do with changing room was clean enough

general maintenance still left a lot to be desired wallpaper badly scuffed in room basin waste did not hold, water towel rail did not appear to work heat wise lightbulb was blown in desk lamp but was eventually replaced. on opening the curtains found balcony outside literally covered in cigarette ends together with the very noisy air conditioning unit which prevented the window being left open and the unit in the room seemed to only blow cold air took two attempts to get extra pillows however manager was very apologetic

staff were excellent and most helpful beds were very comfortable

Two lights off in room took two days to replace. Dog in restaurant being fed at the table. Another dog in the breakfast restaurant, hotel policy says no pets?

Bed was comfortable shower ok

Before I booked, I called the hotel to discuss access because my mother has mobility problems. There are no ground floor rooms but I was told which room number to request to ensure that we were allocated the nearest room at the top of the stairs. In fact, that room turned out to be at the other end of the building up and down several more stairs. Fortunately, the staff helped with our luggage and it was such a nice room that we decided to stick with it. The hotel is on a busy main road so road noise is inevitable. I recommend earplugs.

Our room was lovely - spacious and comfortable with a sofa and a huge bathroom. The staff were friendly & helpful and breakfast was good.

Pub cleanliness left a bit to be desired, had to ask to get a table cleared and then had to ask for it to be cleaned (1 hour 30 mins later) when I ordered food. Costa coffee cups left all over the place for the duration of my 2 hour 30 stay, who knows when they were cleared? Triple cooked chips on menu - more like frozen!!! To be fair, the food was ok apart from that! Not sure they have enough staff?

The continental breakfast choices were a little scarce but this could have just been down to the fact I was quite late down to eat in the morning, but the cooked options were perfect !

Super friendly and attentive staff. Very large clean room and bathroom. Great value for money. Ate in the restaurant which is decorated in a cosy style. No complaints about any of my stay, great room, decent food and good service - everything you would want. Would stay here again at the drop of a hat !

Not able to open the window

The room was clean and spacious and plenty of hot water in the bathroom Breakfast was good and tasty but fresh fruit was not available on daily basis Tea and coffee water Luke warm However staff efficient were and overall a good service

All of the dogs. Cold, expensive slow cooked rib of beef, which was then microwaved by your kitched to warm it up, rather than providing a new dish.

Dogs: We were disgusted that there were so many animals in the eating and restaurant areas. That is really ungygienic. Food: Slow cooked rib of beef - dreadfull. Old meat. Dry and cold in the middle on one plate.

Bathroom wasn't 100% but all the other good stuff compensated for that.

Situated right next to the lake, literally walked in 2 minutes. Food was delicious including the staff who were extremely polite, friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay there again. Very homely and welcoming. Cosy feeling.

Coffee at breakfast was undrinkable and they charged for a decent alternative.

Superb breakfast Sausages and perfect poached eggs. Great location right on the edge of Windsor Great Park. Excellent pub menu and really good service.

Didn't get a wink of sleep. Room was at the front right on a busy road and the traffic kept both of us awake all night. If it wasn't for this I would have given a high score. Maybe there are quieter rooms around the back?

Inn very pleasant and staff friendly. Evening food was nice.

• Executive Double Room

I felt the whole accommodation lacked attention to detail. The room was functional but the bedside light and the one over the mirror in the bathroom didn't work, the toilet roll holder was slanting and so the roll kept falling off and the soap dispensers were empty. The back of the bar was filthy! The evening meal was so disappointing we didn't have to pay and were given complimentary breakfast the next morning.

Easy to get to the Ascot racecourse. Parking was good. Lovely restaurant across the road.

Room was horrible - very dirty. With a air con vent which looks like it has not been cleaned probably ever and was surrounded by dirty finger marks. Thin windows which should be double glazed as next to a very busy main road which made sleeping difficult.

Great helpful and friendly staff. Tasty breakfast at an extra cost. Food in main pub also very good.

Room not serviced from previoud guest. Needs upgrading. Aircon broken. Windows have kitchen vents pumping into them so all my clothes smelt greasy and felt too sick to get breakfast.

Staff response to problems was good

Shower didn't work in the morning but did not affect the stay. Beautiful hotel and nice, warm staff.

Restaurant at the hotel was really good and affordable.

Slightly noisy in our room (7) due to the fact there were loads of air conditioning fans outside window.

Great value accommodation. We stopped over to break up a long journey we were making. Clean and comfortable, plenty of parking. Food available if required although it's not something we tried. Great staff.

the very slow service - ordered drinks in restaurant and watched for 15 minutes while they sat on the bar waiting to be delivered. Went and got them ourselves in the end. Waited 25 mins for breakfast after ordering too.

Smiley staff

We stayed in room 8 and paid £200 to have about 3 hours sleep as the room was ridiculously hot, there was an air con unit on the wall and also a portable air con unit so they must have know that room gets hot, we had both on! my partner had to take a cold shower in the middle of the night. As he was so hot!! I spoke to reception when we checked out in the morning and I'm still awaiting a manager call back!! Not worth £200 for a nights stay!

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Executive Double Room

Great staff. Some road noise because had to have the windows open because the air con was pretty ineffective. A very minor friction of an otherwise great stay.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

Everything was good.

The wonderful caring staff. We landed at the hotel after a day standing in queues at Terminal 5 on Sat 27th May. After a very tasty meal we walked to the lake - peaceful and relaxing in the early evening.

Good location, but by noisy road, so need windows shut for the double glazing to reduce this. Room and bathroom very spacious, but a little on the tired side, although fine.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Lack of staff. Table clearing took 20 mins after people left. Untidy reception area. Staff accents difficult to understand and be understood. Rooms need updating urgently.

Style of the bar - restaurant. Very good food.

Car Park seemed mainly occupied by visitors to Virginia Water not guests or customers of the hotel Perhaps some form of refundable parking fee (more than that charged at the VW car park) could alleviate the problem.

Staff friendly, efficient and welcoming. Especially Ruby.

No hot water No coffee in room Being woken up at 7.30am by the Gardner's vac machine which lasted 30 minutes. And it was bank holiday Monday my one lie in till next bank holiday.

Very convenient for Wentworth GC. Shower was very powerful. Food in the restaurant was very good. Staff were friendly and helpful. Room was clean and satisfactory.

The shaving mirror light didn't work and the extractor in the bathroom was very loud. Beds weren't made on the first day but were the second.

Great staff and location was excellent for the BMW PGA. The room is basic but comfortable enough.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

It was understaffed, they all seemed to be doing about 3 jobs! Room facilities were very outdated. The air con didn't work in the room. Only 1 bath towel for two people. Toilet seat and toilet roll holder falling off. Breakfast was a disaster, no fresh fruit, had to wait ages for our food. When the food did arrive it was very nice. ( we did get this refunded due to our complaining).

How close it was to Wentworth Golf Course and the parking. The guy who served us for breakfast (Chris) was good but overworked. The manager, who was on duty, didn't even help him and he was taking the brunt of the complaints from the residents.

I had high expectations for the rooms and was disappointed to find that the decor was really outdated and our double bed was actually two singles pushed together with two lumpy single mattresses - it was really uncomfortable!

The Wheatsheaf pub is a lovely pub, staff are very friendly and helpful and the food is great!

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Very impressed by all aspects of this property. It is a historic coaching inn, so I knew it would not be modern but I was pleasantly surprised by the size and set up of the room. The staff were super friendly and helpful. (I'm sorry I lost my notes so I can't mention you by name but the reception staff were excellent) .I had dinner in the restauarant and the meal and service was great also

Facilities in the room a little disappointing; very limited toiletries (hand soap dispenser only), no hair dryer, luke warm water (at full heat position) in the shower. Two light bulbs missing from the wall lamp above the writing desk. No lavatory brush. Would have been disappointed if we had opted for a "continental" breakfast. No cold meats, cheeses etc (Chef should know what I mean!) I considered the room over-priced for what was on offer

All the staff were very friendly and helpful. A good full English

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

noise from road a little bit of a problem disturbing sleep. next time we would ask for a quieter room

excellent breakfast, large bedroom and ensuite, parking.

• Suite

The rooms aren't sound proof as the floors and the walls are wooden so creaky all around. They also don't have any double glazing on the windows or the doors. So if your room was the road side then prepare to hear noises all night and day from cars going past. You can also hear hotel guest walking around outside of the room or closing their door or flushing the toilet. In the morning you will start hearing music from the pub downstairs. Adding all of these, let's say I didn't sleep at all. I had a late checkout arranged with the hotel prior to my stay yet the most of the appropriate hotel staffs were not informed. In the morning, my door was knocked few times for cleaning even though I had "Do Not Disturb" tag hanging on the door. In the end, I opened the door and had to tell them that I had a late checkout and the cleaning to be done afterwards. When I was checking out, also the hotel reception in the morning had no clue I had a late checkout prearranged. Last but not least, there is no room service or room phone available. The hair dryer was broken and the amenities felt very basic for a "Suite" room.

The location and the pub of the hotel are the gems here. Very close to the Virginia water park. Plenty of car park space and amazing food in the pub downstairs. The "Suite" room size was decent and the bathtub as well.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2017

The kitchen at the Wheatsheaf was closed when we arrived. They very kindly reopened to allow as to have some supper because all restaurants in the area were closed. It was extremely nice of them. Such flexibility and kindness is rare

Browse The Wheatsheaf Hotel by Good Night Inns traveller photo gallery