Reviews of The White Hart 5 stars

Poole Street, Great Yeldham, CO9 4HJ, United Kingdom

#1 of 3 hotels in Great Yeldham

Breakfast starts at 7.00, which is probably early enough for most but might not always fit the business traveller. I couldn't find any info on the WiFi in my room (i.e. the password as it shows as a secure connection), but I could always have asked at bar!

It's quiet, characterful and the food is very good. The single rooms, though compact, are well equipped, clean and comfortable with adjacent parking and good soundproofing between neighbouring rooms.

The automatic light as you walked into the wet room as it disturbed my friend and me as we used the facilities during the night. A minor problem though!

The White Hart was historic, picturesque and had beautiful grounds. Our room was in a building to the side of the inn but was comfortable, clean and of a high standard.

• Deluxe King Suite

We were charged a 10% service charge on top of the total cost of our stay which we weren’t expecting.

The food in the restaurant was amazing and the rooms were spacious and comfortable

• Family Room

Young staff members very inexperienced. Asked for a bottle of Wine and got a glass. Wrong wine too. Service very slow it was not busy. Maybe more training for young staff. You are charging a lot of money. But this is not replicated in your restaurant. A bit painful for a 5*. No clear leader who is in charge. Breakfast slow again not busy had to ask whether we can order. Late on topping up beverages counter. Breakfast okay but had to ask for butter and sauces. Had to chase members of staff for that. And some staff members one from the kitchen talking to service staff. Gossiping about something and ignoring customers. Very unprofessional the whole experience. Check in was easy but check out painful. The little girls in the restaurant appear overwhelmed.

• Classic Double Room

We booked the disabled adapted room and whilst it was ok there were a queries, no stool or seat in the shower room. Being unable to stand without help meant couldn't shave at the sink. Or use the shower, told there was a seat but it had broken, needs urgent replacement

Friendly staff

No umbrella provided when it rained. Room was external but this did not detract from the pleasure of the lovely accommodation.

Just unexpectedly lovely. Luxurious and special. I didn't need anything tea and coffee with special teas and coffee. Well done to everyone.

The room I had, included an adjoining door to another room. The people in the room next door were incredibly loud and inconsiderate and due to the door, there was no sound proofing, meaning I was kept awake with loud shouting/chatting and TV blaring till about 1am. The staff were all very polite and professional but lacked a friendly, welcoming edge which would have made their interactions with me seem less false.

The room was cosy, clean and nicely furnished. The food was delicious and parking was easy.

The bed was past it's best. It needed a well lit mirror.. Although the shower room was all lovely and new the floor was dirty needed a mop. Soft furnishing were getting a little shabby in this room we assumed it was due an upgrade.

Loved the old building very pretty that's our kind of place has character. The breakfast was adequate.

lack of advance warning that the road was closed and major diversion in place so we arrived 40 minutes late. However staff opened up the kitchen and we had a lovely supper. Very good customer service.

Breakfast was a bit basic but room was fantastic and dinner excellent

• Suite

I loved the place but found the room to be quite small with a very large 4 poster bed, buit overkill for a room that size.... Just a few things that annoy me, tiny TV, in 2018 that's no excuse to have a 10 year old TV on the wall, that doesn't move. Brita Water filter jug is a good idea if it wasn't for the smallest water glasses in the world?? Filling that up in the night from a giant jug was a disaster. They do have a la carte menu which I didn't use, so I ordered from the bar menu, which is pretty limited and was OK at best, Breakfast was excellent, staff wonderful.

More Water in the bedrooms please :-)

We really enjoyed our stay at The White Hart. The staff go over and beyond to ensure you have a happy and comfortable stay, they are very professional, extremely knowledgable on the local area and very welcoming. We were a party of 5 with some extra friends joining us for dinner and the chef more than catered to our individual needs (2 x vegetarians, lactose free etc.) and was more than happy to prepare dishes that were not on the menu if needed. The food really was excellent, we will definitely be back.

Quite a bit of dust came off the upholstery which made me sneeze, but apart from that the room was kept really clean.

Very comfortable and attractive room. The staff are lovely and the facilities in the room are great.

The bed was poor. The springs sounded all night. It needs a new mattress. It was noisy whenever upstairs were moving around. The staff served well but we read nowhere that a 10% service charge applied both to the accommodation and the food. This approach and cost made the advertised prices wrong and misleading.

The food was terrific.

Room took a long time to warm up lighting was poor the extra blanket in the wardrobe was stained and smelly The shower and bathroom was clean and roomy with a good flow of water and temperature Breakfast took a while and was nothing special I had scrambled eggs and mushrooms which were tasteless

The Staff were very friendly warm and welcoming The bar food was excellent with good choice of dishes Service was excellent

• Classic Double Room

Not a single thing needed to be changed!

The Staff were so helpful, having been there for the first time, my partner and I were unsure where anything was but with the help of reception they booked our restaurant for us!

Doors are not self shutting. Breakfast is served between 0900 and 1000 in the morning, which is way too late. The shower was cold (very) on the Saturday morning. They do not take Amex. Staff was unfriendly. TV position is like a Premier Inn - under the ceiling.

Nice restaurant, room was clean, parking directly outside the room.

I had to come home

Room was a little hot for us, and thermostat didn't seem to do too much. But we live in a draughty cottage with poor windows and draughty doors, so not really a criticism. Everything was 1st rate, staff were attentive and jovial but not overbearing. The food was probably the best I have had. It was masterchef, and a bit more. Will definitely return.

breakfast was luke warm poach egg was almost raw coffee only warm.no full size window just small one coming up from floor about 3ft covered with huge long pelmet very closed in feeling.

staff were very helpful

The breakfast was ok, the service was very slow considering we were the only ones in the breakfast area. One of us ordered the vegetarian option, Mushroom Omlette, it actually came out with ham & bacon

• Suite

The staff were really rigid in their policies. They decided that breakfast eould stop an hour earlier than their booklet and wouldnt serve us. We were also promised late checkout the night we checked in but then were told to leave because it wasnt their policy. The way both were handled showed quite strict management handling very young staff. It did make the stay a little less enjoyable.

The pub is beatifull amd the area is very picturesque

It was freezing cold in the room and bar and we couldn't eat anything anymore what was pretty hard after a long drive. The where no other facilities in the village

The breakfast was very good

Surprised only standard size bed, plenty of room for something larger. some confusion over the phone, over check in times and an 11.00 late curfew. No issues when we arrived but it was just an extra stress on our day at the Castle for daughters wedding.

Breakfast great, room great

I thought the pillows were lumpy and the mattress was too hard perhaps it had seen better days

Breakfast was great so was location and the building. staff were friendly but the main hotel bit was a bit chilly so you you to think about adapting the heating when the weather is damp and cold

Bar closes at 9pm, might be a problem if you're expecting to have a late drink

Photo's didnt do it justice, lovely rooms., bar and restaurant areas. Staff were great and very accommodating. Food was great as well.

Nothing was a problem

Great food and a super room. The staff were friendly and very helpful. It was also a pleasure to use the Nespresso coffee machine in my room to enjoy a coffee unlike the normal rubbish coffee found in more expensive hotels. Looking forward to staying at a later date

Staff saying that they did not get any emails from Booking.Com with our communications..... strange when they booked dinner for the correct time?

Really enjoyed our overnight stay......... clean and comfortable. Food was of a good standard

EXCELLANT BREAKFAST, GREAT VARIETY. ROOM WAS BEAUTIFULLY DECORATED AND SHOWER WAS FABULOUS. THE BED VERY COMFY.THE STAFF FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL. WIFI EXCELLANT. LOVELY PROPERTY AND WELL SET OUT. LOCATION WAS GOOD.

Minor things really and all around the main building. Drink were very dear, and we were over charged. Peanuts were stale. Breakfast was nice, but plate needs to be hot or hotter. Sausage too fat, less is more. Table clothes in main restaurant, but none for breakfast people were sit the other side of bar.

The rooms are to the side of the main building. They are decorated to a very high standard, even to the point of over providing. Eg there are two ceiling fans in the room, only one needed. The bathroom and shower is the best I have used. I don't think you could ask for more in the rooms. There is even a water filter machine. All the doors have touch sensors for your cards, making it very easy to gain entry. Even the bed lights are touch sensitive. There is parking outside the rooms making it easy to pack and unpack the car.

Booked in as we had moved out of our house and needed an overnight stay before travelling on to our new property. We must have looked exhausted as we were upgraded to the Bridal Suite! Not necessary but a very good public relations move and made us feel valued guests. Beautiful room and facilities and a comfortable bed for a good sleep before our long journey the next day.

I wasn't too impressed that my room didn't get cleaned after the first night, even though I put the notice out that I was ready for it to be cleaned.

Having the bath robe was a nice touch. The packaging for the shower room soap, shampoo, etc, was very appealing. The coffee machine was lovely.

The bathroom was very modern and new, and excellently equipped. When opening the bathroom door the light and fan came on automatically and remained on for a long time when the door was closed. This was annoying in the middle of the night after using the bathroom as I could hear the fan at least half and hour. I think this may have been a fault with the sensor so notified the hotel on leaving.

The atmosphere and food were excellent and staff very helpul and friendly. Rooms were comfortable with modern bathroom. Chose this hotel as something typically British for Australian family travelling with to experience.

Nothing really!

Very charming 15th century pub with lots of old beams and atmosphere. The restaurant is excellent food, well presented and good value for money. Rooms and beds are very comfortable and quiet, away from the main road. The bathroom is very modern and feels pleasant. Breakfast is fantastic too and included in price. Overall very good value for money! The village is nearby and there are paths to walk or run in the countryside nearby.

We are not fans of wet-rooms and there was no hot water in the morning, this was reported on checkout - the staff said they would look into the problem. Limited selection of cereals and fruit at breakfast. The room was on the first floor with floor level windows which didn't offer much privacy without pulling the blinds and shutting out the daylight.

We were given a free upgrade. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. The bed was big and cosy. The evening meal was very tasty, the cheeseboard was excellent and the cooked breakfast was good.

Small windows in the room,very low. And I couldn't find capsules for coffee machine. Luckily i alway have few extra with me. I Wish i could have more time to walk around as I stayed only for one night, but from the restaurant window view to the garden looked beautiful.

I loved the accommodation, room was specious clean and everything was available. Bed super comfy. And Naspresso machine in my room was a big yes for me.

Wi-Fi was slightly slow this stay, and choice of breakfast continental options was less than previous stays. However, it hasn't put me off, and I will look to return next time I'm in the area.

One of my favourite places to stay when in Essex. Fab food in the restaurant, comfy room, I have been fortunate to have had upgrade every time I have stayed so far.

• Suite

We stayed in one of the suites and it was spacious and the bed was great. I can warmly recommend the co-located restaurant for dinner. Breakfast was also cooked to perfection.

It was nice to be told it was ok to dine with our baby. The large grounds meant it was possible without disturbing any other guests. The room was spacious and clean. The staff were helpful and I was impressed to see a staff member helping French guests in French. All in all it made a great weekend break from London

Cooked breakfast was good but I like fresh fruit alternatives.

Lovely hotel ,lots of beams and a good bar it was all very clean . Staff were very helpful

• Classic Double Room

Coffee at breakfast was not great but coffee after dinner was very good !

Good size quiet room, lovely wet room, very comfy bed & pillows. Good evening meal & reasonable breakfast. Friendly staff, no problems at all.

• Bridal Suite

Bathroom is a wet room but the slope to the drain is quite shallow so the tiles stay quite slippy however there are plenty of floor towels to step on

Impeccable service from the staff Room facilities are great Decor is lovely Perfect wedding venue

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

I personally don't like black out curtains/blinds as I like to wake up to natural light. Not a big deal at all though.

Facilities in the room were excellent, I am terrible at getting out of bed in the morning but the nespresso coffee machine provided good motivation. A nice bathroom is super important to me when choosing accommodation, the wetroom was all I could ever hope for and more! The grounds are nice to have a walk around after dinner, and you can take a longer walk along an old railway line.

I asked for an early check in an late checkout however staff were blunt An said no! Sat down for breakfast and were asked to moved (after one of the staff memebers said to the other staff "who told them to sit there!") breakfast was not the greatest there was even a lump of soil in my mushrooms! I've stayed in hotels worldwide An let's just say I was disappointed with this one ... I think personally it's the staff that let this beautiful hotel down!

The location was beautiful

• Bridal Suite

A working TV and bedside lamps would have been nice. For the price and quality of this hotel you would expect a working TV and a bulb to be in the bedside lamp. Service was slightly slow in the restaurant. Also, both of our breakfast orders were wrong when served.

Dinner in the bar was lovely. The bridal suit has a large bathroom and bath which was also amazing.

Everything about our stay was excellent - staff were extremely welcoming and happy to assist in every way possible. The room was furnished to an extremely high standard and offered every amenity one could hope for. Breakfast the next morning was great and offered a wide variety of hot and cold options, accompanied by very attentive staff who offered a high level of service. Would definitely recommend and would be happy to return.

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

If having to nit pick. .. a small receptacle to place dirty spoons on the coffee tray would of been good. ..could not actually find fault with anything. ..well done white Hart staff and hotel. .

Staff were lovely. .food was wonderful. Room was really nice...could not of been better...

• Reviewed: 4 June 2017

Breakfast. Had to as for cups and no saucers for coffee. Help yourself to coffee which was empty when I tried and not good when they refilled. Had to ask for butter for toast . Several other things which the only other two customers had same issue with and repeated the same as me

The place itself and evening meal. Also Sam the assistant manager

There wasn't anything to dislike.

The hotel was as stated. We had a fabulous room. Large, extremely clean. Well appointed. Everything needed for a short break. The bar and eating area could not be faulted. The food was very good. Breakfast excellent. Will certainly stay here again. Not far to drive to villages such as Clare and Long Melford. Good area for walking the old railway lines.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

• Suite

When I booked it it did show a bath but only had a shower.

Staff very pleasant I booked a suite but to b honest is was a double room with shower, heating was not working but it was a comfortable bed.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Nothing to not like.

Impeccable quality of the room. The Yeldham was very very nice. Lovely bathroom. Only gripe was the overly bright green led on the emergency light! Food was great.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

WIFI is quite poor for any business use such as Online meetings/Skype calls etc.

The rooms are fantastic with great quality beds and bathroom facilities. The food is very good.

We stayed in the Hedingham suite. The bed was extremely comfortable and the luxurious bathroom with roll top bath gave that extra feeling of sheer relaxation.

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Suite

Room was advertised as a suite and 5 stars! It was a room and I would struggle to give it 2 stars.

Could not have breakfast as we had to leave and they were serving 2 hours later than advertised. The breakfast on the first morning was adequate but not great.

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

As I stay here for business wifi is extremely important due to the nature of my work. On my last stay the wifi was really poor and kept dropping and when I have to do online meetings is a no no. As much as I like this place if on my next visit I have similar wifi issues then I'll have to stay elsewhere

I have stayed here on about 6 or 7 occasions and it's a lovely place, rooms are superb, staff excellent and food nice....all round it's great value for money and the accommodation is first rate

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Bar staff in the evening, bit surly.. and it seems common sense to offer condiments with a bowl of chips so I didn't have to go and chase him for salt, ketchup etc?

Just really lovely room, I thought excellent value for the price, nice old bar, decent bar food.

This is my 'go to' hotel when I'm in the area on business. Sometimes it is full & I can't get in (which I don't like). Hence nothing I dislike. Perhaps expansion opportunity and more rooms available for 2017.

Beautiful, clean rooms.. Excellent food.. Friendly, caring service..

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

Nothing it was fantastic

The room was amazing value, really clean and comfy. The staff were very attentive and the evening meal was lovely, beautiful pork belly! Couldn't fault the place and would recommend to anyone Eamonn

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

• Classic Suite

Wet room / bathroom radiator/ heated towel rail not working Only thing to mention, everything else was great. Tony the manager was vey professional as was all the staff we meet

Quality food at both dinner and breakfast

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Very small observation: Breakfast: l would prefer my toast not on the same plate as my breakfast.

Very friendly and comfortable stay. You cannot ask for anymore than that!

• Reviewed: 8 December 2016

More road noise than I would have liked although not a big problem. Bathroom was a large but open wet room type with no shower cubicle, meaning that all the floor gets wet. Nothing wrong with this, but not my preference.

Pub and restaurant had nice warm country feel. Food was good service was good. Hotel rooms were spacious, well decorated, well equipped, bed was comfortable and shower was a good standard. Would stay again.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

The main radiator in the bedroom and the towel radiator in the bathroom did not work at all, despite changing the room thermostat and individual controls. This spoiled my overnight stay and it was freezing in both rooms !

The room is very well presented, very clean, tidy and attractive. Staff are very welcoming and pleasant to deal with.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Had to book an extra night at short notice. Told only suite available. Not sure this was quite true. Felt a bit ripped off!

Food should have been hotter. Poached eggs hard! Low fat spread not available.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

We were told the bar shut between 10 and 11pm on a Sunday we got back at 9.30 and the pub had shut. Also for an award winning breakfast it could have been better.

The bedrooms were very good clean comfy and the bathrooms are very well done and also vey clean. Overall the rooms were excellent.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Room was hot, the remote control for TV was non-existent, noise from the road, noise outside room at 1 am, couldn't get a drink from bar at 11pm when returning from away. Taxi service arranged by hotel charged £17.50 for a five minute journey - not the hotel's fault, but be warned!

Breakfast was good.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

soundproofing between bedrooms and between floors (rooms 4 and neighbour) (room 6 and upstairs floor). as soon as people got up (6 am for instance), one was woken up.

food, bed

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

• Suite

Arrived at hotel to find two very young (probably just out of school), giggly, inexperienced girls working on reception who showed me to the nosiest room next to the main road, after i had specifically requested a quiet room. They changed my room, however all rooms are next to the main road and only one has double glazing to cut out the noise. The bathroom is a wet floor , walk-in shower so nearly broke my leg when i slipped on the floor. the breakfast; probably the worst I have had from a hotel. When i asked if there was anymore fruit I was told they are awaiting a delivery- great for a hotel. The menu card describes a very succulent menu for breakfast- that couldn't be further from the truth.I was also told I had to tell them what time I wanted breakfast- never had that before. the girl on reception told me it was in case everybody comes at once, the waiter the next morning said it was so the chef knew what time to come into work- very professional!!! I had a business meeting so decided to stay for lunch. What a mistake; I asked for a salad, got some lettuce from a bag and 3 sliced small tomatoes and the thinest cut cucumber. the waiter asked when i commented "what do you want from a salad?". the lasaña didn't resemble a lasaña - looked as though it came from a tin and really was inedible, and my sea bass, looked as though it was a week old. A complete rip off! If you're looking for a truly BAD experience, service, inedible food and are prepared to pay for it, then I recommend this hotel. Overall AWFULL. Now i understand why it was empty- locals aren't daft. PS Don't ask for a receipt if you're there on business they can't do them

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

• Classic Suite

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. They were really doing their best but although the butter appeared on the table one evening no bread materialized and a request for mint tea brought green tea. Also, although the manager was keen to take a photo on his camera of the absence of nespresso pods to show his staff, he did not arrange for any to be brought up as a result on the first evening.

Manager was very attentive and accommodating. The food was superb and service at table in the restaurant was very quick. The room was scrupulously clean and comfortable. I would happily stay here again and recommend it unhesitatingly.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

I couldn't get a decent Vodafone signal in the area but that's not the hotel's fault of course! Apparently EE signal is good there though.

Attentive staff, nice free cookies on arrival. rooms finished to a high standard. wifi worked well throughout the room and in the pub/restaurant.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Due to delays of the ferry we arrived rather late. We did inform the staff beforehand but did not feel very welcome.

Beautifully restored inn, very cosy, bedrooms recently renovated. Fine breadfast, good parking space.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

In hot weather would have appreciated choice of bed linen instead of just a thick duvet. Overall, a little on the pricey side.

Old-time horse-and-carriage ambience.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

the poor standard of building... very thin floors and walls... room next door to very busy road.. no sleep.. attitude of young staff very good but unfriendly almost arrogant welcome

the bedroom decor and shower

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Bridal Suite

This was ruined by the fact that the room was way to hot & you couldn't open the windows as the room was on the bottom floor so everyone could see in. There was a wedding going on whilst we stayed so the Geist were all outside our room & running in & out of the hotel slamming doors & being very loud until the early hours of the morning. Maybe it would have been different it the wedding was not on.

The room was beautiful & so was the bathroom.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

Room very hot and no air conditioning. Ceiling and free standing fans were provided but were noisy and did not reduce the air temperature. Noise from road intrusive because windows were open.

Character and food

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. We had dinner in the restaurant which was delicious as was the breakfast the following morning which arrived quickly and was nice and hot. The extra touches such as premium tea bags and a Nespresso machine were very welcome.

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

Bar closed very early. We stayed on a Sunday, and returned to the hotel between 10pm and 10.30pm to find the bar empty and the door locked.

The staff were attentive and pleasant and the room room was very comfortable, spacious and clean.

Very helpful staff