Reviews of White Hart Hotel 3 stars

High Street, Lewes, BN7 1XE, United Kingdom

#8 of 8 hotels in Lewes

6.1

5.3

It was dirty, the furniture was falling apart, the staff didn't seem to care, I was honestly in tears when I saw the room as it was supposed to be a special trip for my partner and it felt like being in an episode of Hotel Nightmares. Please don't go to this hotel as you will be truly disappointed. The access to the swimming pool was the best thing and even that wasn't very good as it was shappy and unclean. The bath in the room had a long hair in it and there was thick dust all around the room. Breakfast was cold and undercooked while also swimming in grease. The most disappointing experience that I have ever spent money on in my life.

I liked the historic building

Bathroom could be improved

Nice location and building. Old building very charming in the bedroom assigned. Rich in terms of facilities available (gym, swimming pool, terrace)

Bed was not comfortable. Perhaps partially because the floor was very uneven (which actually in itself I did not mind with such an old building), but I felt constantly that the bed was 'throwing me off'. It just didn't feel even. I got up with some sore neck as well. Frankly, was not too bad for 1 night. For a week? I don't think so. For that it seemed pricey a bit.

I actually loved the way the room and hotel looked. It may be described as old and tired by some, but it certainly had a charm about it. The walls were great with all the frames showing... I think it fitted well with the surroundings (very old castle and historic buildings all around). It was easy to find and staff members were friendly and helpful. (Barman was cool- we discussed about how haunted the place must be):)) I also liked that there was a pool we could use, with nice, not too cold (actually pretty warm) water. Breakfast was nice too, had loads of it:) I wouldn't mind visiting again.

The whole place needs a makeover and re- painting .

The Hotel is a LOVELY PERIOD PROPERTY . If you get the chance to stay in the original part of the building it is very querky , floors uneven etc . The back annexe looks very scruffy though . Bed was soft and we booked a twin room but ended up with a double . Breakfast was very good .

As many people say, this property needs a major refurbishment. No lift to third floor room. The room's floor was wonky and uneven. Felt a bit dizzy. Bed mattress was very wobbly. Only 2 plugs in the whole room and both were used for kettle and TV. And the windows were single glazed when the room faced directly to the high street. It was Saturday night and sound proof was non existing. All kind of noise, drunk people shouting, big lorry etc, couldn't sleep till 1:00 AM. Very tired in the following morning. Overall disappointing.

Good location. Friendly staff.

The bedroom & bathroom. The bathroom smelled badly. There was no window or extractor fan. The shower just trickled down the wall so was useless. There was a strip light in front of the window which meant we were unable to open the window properly. Stained and very "tatty" carpet. Following a thunderstorm metal containers were placed halfway up the stairs to catch the drips! A hazard!

The location and the helpful & courteous staff. The breakfast was adequate.

Please see above.

Dirty! Frayed carpets, grubby walls and doors, apathetic staff and worst of all dirty duvets on the children's beds. We took off the covers to sleep under because it was hot. The duvets inside were insanitary. No hot water in the bathrooms so we had to use the shower in the leisure centre and even there only one shower barely worked. Only stay here if desperate.

The noisy people ion the next room talking loudly enough to wake me up in the small hours.

I like the old building, the beams and uneven floors, and I like the breakfast in the terrace room.

Old building, not refurbished from ages. Small oldschool rooms, bugs/ insects. Dirty and smelly sport facility (pool/jacuzzi/sauna/gym)

Location and (partially) staff.

Didn't realise there's no lift in main building but lovely receptionist carried bag upstairs for me. Would have been nice to have option of breakfast on terrace but I took my cup of tea out there anyway.

Lovely historic building, right in centre of town & close to all the sights. Nice leisure centre with really friendly & helpful staff. Loved the pool.

Piles and piles of cigarettes butts in flower container by terrace entrance. Staff making my colleague last day a misery. And manager not apologizing in person but delegate his duty to night porter.

Breakfast on terrace Views at back of hotel.

The veiw from my room.. number 10...was non existent...just a wooden wall...think maybe it was the back of the kitchen! But..very quite part of the hotel...so that was good. I arrived Sunday at 5pm...the kitchen was closed. Would have been nice to at least get a sandwich. I went out to eat...and came back!

I love the old feel if the property...it's as if I have stepped back in time. Beautiful real open fire. My bed was a four poster bed...Very comfortable. And the floor boards were perfectly creeky. Bathroom, towels and bedding very clean.

Just aware of the fact that structural refurbishment is needed. Would have liked more of a view but a minor issue.

Very clean and shiny with a very comfortable bed. Very friendly and helpful staff. The hotel does need a big multimillion pound refurbishment at some stage but it felt so much more loved and cared for this time of staying compared to last time when things were just run down. So happy to see the old place back to its former level of service and friendliness. I have already booked again

Poached eggs undercooked a little on one occasion, not properly drained so toast tasted of vinegar water, so a little more care would have made a good breakfast excellent.

Real retro feel, comfortable enough and I'm glad they didn't make it too comfortable, lovely old interiors, staff pleasant, breakfast good.

Seemed understaffed at breakfast so had to ask when food ran out. What we had was good though.

Perfect location. Right in town but they managed to have plenty of parking plus a Swimming Pool and Sauna etc

In fairness the hotel is a little frayed around the edges but this is under a programme of rectification. Old listed building of lovely character .

Friendly staff, great breakfast enjoyed the leisure facilities. free parking a bonus and location was excellent. easy walk to the station and 12 mins to Brighton by train.

The hotel is a little tired and some things needed repairing / replacing in our room for example the door lock room on 25 and an updated shower etc would have been nice, the room was also extremely warm with no real way of cooling it down.

The hotel was fine, quite quirky and olde worlde with a lovely terrace and an overall great location in the middle of Lewes, a nice breakfast and it was nice to have a quiet hotel in the middle of a town unlike some others that we have stopped in so overall great

We were perfectly satisfied, but people of a minimalistic tendency would not like this hotel. It is a very big timber framed building constantly in need of renovation. We feel very comfortable and enjoy the ambience.

We love the history associated with this hotel. It is an excellent mixture of very old, very good antique furnishings, and modern. Views from the terrace spectacular & parking just off Lewes High Street is a great bonus. Outstanding full English breakfasts.

Breakfast was cold. Warm plates & lids on buffet dishes would have helped.

This is a lovely old property, but it desperately needs some money spent internally. It really is in a poor state. Carpets, duvets, furniture, towels, taps... need repairing or replacing.

A little redecoration is needed particularly carpets.

The White Hart is a fine Georgian with a modern extension which includes a pool and gym. It's difficult to review because it depends upon expectations. The room rate is very modest and the breakfast was very good indeed. Some may criticise the worn carpets and the need for a general upgrade but if you want everything neat and tidy there are plenty of chain hotels with no character. We liked this place and would certainly return. The staff were great and it is dog friendly. The location right on the High Street is excellent and the car park is appreciated.

Parking wasn’t great and someone scratched my car. Staff woke my boyfriend up afterwards to ask him to move the car but did not mention the scuff.

Nice and clean. Comfy bed. Lots of character.

On arriving we were told they had booked us into a single room not double. The manager sorted it for us eventually. Our cups were dirty in our room when we arrived. The lady in charge at breakfast didnt have good customer service skills.

free wifi, nice breakfast

Nothing from the presentation picture is real.It was a flimsy bed,dust on tv table,bathroom with limescale on shower,we had only 2 face towels!The Jacuzzi is extremely poor and small.The pool would be great if it had warm water(it was cold)

breakfast was ok

I really loved it . Pictures on website do not do hotel credit. Please upload some of the period of building for example lush open fireplaces in lounge and bar. Beautiful stairwells and period panneling and features. This will appeal to a whole new clientele also

Old, is now including tired parts. Probably due a refurb soon, but everywhere was clean.

Lovely old property with classic old interior. Perfect high Street location and added comfort of a swimming pool.

After being out for the day went back to hotel for evening meal to be told not serving that evening due to a function so had to go back out to find somewhere else to eat. Unable to fill in box who did I travel with as no box just for family without children under 18

The hotel is a bit warren like, I wasn’t sure where reception was when I first arrived and found a sign pointing in both directions which was a little confusing. The original lady on reception wasn’t as friendly as other members of staff and when I enquired about lunch she informed me that the restaurant was closed but didn’t give me any other information about where I could get a snack or a drink. I wasn’t too bothered and wandered into the high street to find something but when I returned I found a large group of people having a cream tea and realised that there was also a small cafe area! Had the receptionist mentioned this I would have been quite happy to pay for something at the hotel so I feel she missed a good opportunity for my business there! Apart from that small incident all other members of staff were very helpful and friendly. I would definitely stay here again.

After reading some of the reviews I was a bit nervous but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The hotel is old and that shows in its quirkiness but I loved the beams and the sloping floors and the massive key for the bedroom door instead of the usual ridiculous bit of plastic! My room was quiet, had all the amenities I needed and the bed was extremely comfortable. There is a pool that you can use and yes the area could do with some updating but everything was perfectly adequate and the staff went out of their way to help. The bar was busy in the evening, it seems like it’s used as a good meeting place and breakfast was ample the next morning. There was one member of staff running the restaurant so service might be a bit slow at the weekend but he was very cheerful, couldn’t do enough for everyone and even remained happy when some customers arrived at 9.25 for breakfast! (Breakfast finishes at 9.30 during the week) I think if you fancy something a bit different, want to stay in a hotel with bags of character and don’t mind if everything isn’t quite up to 5 star ratings then this is a good place to stay.

I think maybe they need a new dishwasher, because the cups and plates were often dirty. The spa pool and facilities were pretty grubby too, and there were no toiletry dispensers in the pool showers.

The served breakfasts were generous, and the staff were helpful. There was a good range of food on the breakfast bar.

Not clear that neither the pool nor any of the rooms were accesible except by stairs. Towels for pool were inadequate. Heating was erratic. Broken light bulbs reported three times, never fixed

Free parking

Room was a bit cold due to a faulty radiator but the hotel gave us a heater.

The inn was really old and quaint. The floors were very uneven but added to the charm. Staff were brilliant.

The walls are very thin, and the towel rail fell off - but I expected that sort of thing - it's an old building!

It's quirky and beautiful - very English. The staff were great. Nice bar. Loved the beautiful sunny breakfast room, with a good selection - cereals, fruits, etc, plus a full English option.

Needs TLC badly ,,,apart from the South Africa gentleman on reception and the breakfast waiter ,,the rest of staff clearly didn’t want to be there . Such a Shame it could be a really desirable ,amazing Hotel ,as it undoubtedly was some time ago

Comfy bed good parking great location

Shower was a little dated other than that all was good..

Great breakfast bed was comfortable room was quiet, slept well? nice old place.. stunning view in the large conservatory where I had breakfast. Staff friendly and welcoming👍

Furniture was shabby and didn't suit the room. Carpet was awful. Room sloped so badly the bed was off level so felt like camping on a hill. TV table was stupidly wonky (it's a very old building) due to floor. Hot water scalded me. Barely any plug sockets. Lamps by the bed had no shades and we're too bright

Breakfast was good. Pool available but didn't use it.

Decorations - some areas were looking fairly tired and un-maintained. Cooked breakfast was poor and served in a very cold area.

Location and fitness facilities. Availability of wi-fi.

Some threadbare carpets. Air of having seen better days. Poor evening meal choice (though the dish I had was good) Closed restaurant (food served in bar)

Historic ambience. Reasonable price. Satisfactory breakfast. Convenience for high street and station

Outside of our room (11A) there were several plates and trays full of food and drink which looked like they had been there for a while. These trays and plates stayed on the floor of the landing outside of our room until the next afternoon so it wasn't the nicest thing to look at as we left for the day. The Jacuzzi was also very disappointing as it was small, not fitting me and a friend in at once and colder than i would expect a Jacuzzi to be as it was the same as the pool. We also came back to the hotel after our evening out at the Brighton centre to find it was locked with nobody answering the door bell or phone. we stood outside in the rain for almost 15 minutes and when who seemed to be a caretaker let us in he was less than sorry.

The staff were very polite, checked if our room was okay and was very attentive when we needed some extra milk for our room. One young man who seemed to be everywhere doing every job was extremely helpful and made our stay a lot more positive!

The TV in the room (room 6) was slightly frustrating as the remote control was obviously a replacement for the original one which came with the TV. As a result, we were unable to change the brightness or access the episode guide etc.

The hotel is quirky and characterful. The staff on the front desk were friendly and helpful.

Walls were very thin so quite noisy and bed was a little uncomfortable, but the room was cheap so very good value for money.

Staff were very accommodating and extremely friendly. The hotel itself is a lovely old building with beautiful original features. Leisure facilities were great. Pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and gym.

Cosy, quirky, historic, relaxed, perfectly positioned in town, an easy walk from the train station, it was a charming place to stay the night and I'd love to go back. The bar was just what you want, old wood and good ale, and the breakfast room was bright and sunny with views over the countryside. Really excellent breakfast too. The staff were really welcoming of me and my dog and I'll have to go back sometime to try the pool...

Hot water takes about 5 minutes but they do warn you of this! Breakfast was only average.

A very good location close to the station. Free Parking. A very quaint, quirky 15c Inn with loads of character, so much nicer than the average modern city chain hotel.

The whole place is so tired. It needs a complete over haul. Breakfast was left out under a heat lamp and looked very in a peeling. Lovely old building, such a shame its been left to rot.

Tired property. Serving streaky bacon for English breakfast. Tiny bathroom in a large room. Needs total refurbishment saving the old world charm of the building. Just one Harveys beer at the bar of a hotel in Lewes! Staff demotivated

View from breakfast area onto downs. Location.

Quirky room in historic hotel. Centrally located to take advantage of all the attractions of Lewes. Swimming pool and parking also available at the hotel which was very pleasing. Staff most helpful. Fabulous conservatory room, where breakfast is taken, has wide ranging views over river Ouse and downland countryside - this would be even better in summer weather as it appears you could dine outside. Good choice for breakfast.

The general condition of the room and furniture was very poor and in spite of being fully booked there was no maintenance support during the weekend. Things like leaking shower fittings and loose, banging windows had to be addressed by the guest.

The hotel is pet friendly. The room and the hotel in general were clean. Some members of staff (particularly the bar staff) were very cheerful and helpful. The room was well supplied with coffee, tea, bath products and towels. There were extra blankets for the beds.

Grubby carpets in many 'back entrance' spaces - the front seems to be kept very nicely for appearances and the electrical socket in my room was so wobbly I think it can't be legal. Felt the staff were trying really hard to make up for an owner who doest really care.

Breakfast room was lovely.. bathroom a bit tired, bed very comfy..fire to meet a friend in lobby very welcoming.. although we sat and waited for food-to-be-served time and were then told it was just sandwiches that night..

The place is tired, threadbare carpets, water dripping from light fittings in lounge, staff were polite but appeared unmotivated. Room and bathroom needed sprucing up.

Front of hotel interesting. Bar Cosy, good fire.

Room not sound prooffed from next door's alarm, TV, shower and conversation, if I'd wanted to listen!

Old part of building. At the back, so quiet. Good to have bath, bubbles etc. and lots of hot water. Plenty of towels. Tea and coffee facilities. Real fire burning in salon downsairs. Lovely old bar, helpful, pleasant staff.

bath taps falling apart and shower didn't work at all. bath end covered in limescale from leaking taps. buffet breakfast on Sunday lukewarm. No main light in the room.

Beautifully historical building, though very tired terrace. good cotton bed linen and plentiful towels. quiet gym/pool/sauna area. Log fire and great bar.

Breakfast at £10 considered too expensive so I didn't have any. Sound attenuation between rooms not great, and floorboards creaky, but all worth putting up with to stay in such a historic building!

Delightful old coaching inn Right in centre of town Pool looked good but didn't try it Within easy walking distance of station Within easy walking distance of Harveys brewery!

Unclean, leaking ceiling in lobby, leaking ceiling in bathroom, leisure facilities atrocious, staff unfriendly, uncomfortable bed, mouldy smell in room

Good Location

Pelham Suite could be better laid out, and better insulated from noise in the next-door room. The (4-poster) bed and mattress are not very comfortable.

Attractive pool Excellent breakfasts

the rooms look nothing like the photos on booking.com - i suspect they have been taken to capture the best bits and not all of the room. first time i can say it didnt refelct what i could see on the site. the pool entrance smelt unpleasant which put me of using the pool. also the pool doesnt open until 9am on a Sunday and breakfast finishes at 10 ... it really is in need of some TLC before its too far gone to repair.

The staff are great, unfortunately the hotel is extremely dated. you can see in its day it would have been a magnificent place. All the character and wooden panelling, quirky floors added to the charm. Sadly it needs a lot of TLC. The breakfast was really nice but it did not cater for vegetarians the eggs were not free range and no veggie sausages. parking is excellent as there is a lot of it on site. central for the town which means you can walk everywhere

We were a little let down by the bed, the mattress was quite well used and sagged in the middle in room 26 so we kept rolling into each other all night. Other reviews said the rooms where needing refreshment and I tended to agree. The carpet was well worn and the bathroom tiles needed redoing. Personally remove the old carpet and expose those lovely old wooden floors and put a new mattress in and the rest could be overlooked. Didn't really bother us but it depends on your standards we would stay again for sure :)

Loved the location and history of the old place. The features of the old coaching inn where still present with a roaring wood burning fire in the lounge area took you right back in time, it made for a very special trip for a history nut like my girlfriend and I we absolutely loved it. The staff we met were really friendly and the breakfast was fantastic even a wood smoke taste to the bacon.

As previously hilighted, rooms need to be spruced up as looking tired. Furniture needs to be more in keeping with the history of the building. More wall hangings, pictures (by local artists maybe?). More flowers / plants to brighten the public rooms.

Steeped in old worldliness! Love the place. My wife and I have been coming here every year over last 20 years. Building Needs some tender loving care though as looking somewhat tired now, but I see the guest lounge has been renovated for this year. Very nicely done and colours pleasing to the eye and warming. Staff are always happy, helpful and welcoming.

hotel is very dated rooms need improving and the menu could be better. no food available sunday evening meant we had to go elsewhere for food and drink.

location price and friendly staff.

Mushroom bruschetta should have been a baguette-type rather than sliced bread. I was in room 11 and the shower was impractical for anyone over 5'10". Should take the bath out and make walk-in showers only to give head clearance. Currently have to limbo under shower rail then avoid head-high beams. Shower curtain too long, so you stood on it and bath mat not in evidence despite very slippy surface. The olde worlde vibe is brilliant, but you have to be practical too.

despite a busy Xmas do elsewhere, restaurant service was excellent

The bar staff in particular needed training. The rooms were clean but the downstairs toilets badly needed decorating.

croissants were chilled and the 'hot' buffet cold on the second day. The lunch was disappointing.

Bathrooms outdated, ceilings fittings too low. Carepets through much of the hotel threadbare, handcrails loose and dangerous. Pool out of action, all of the exercise bikes out of order, rowing machine needs to be condemned. Have to such the hotel for bar staff!!

Nothing apart from location, means to an end

No information in room, such as the number for reception or the wifi code. Dirty windowsill, and light in bathroom Cool (as in cold) sauna and stream room Pool not in use, not mentioned on-line Excuses from duty manager- old equipment Door connecting our room to the next was opened by the new occupants . A nice northern fella who said Hi- I still didn’t want him in my room. A total breach of privacy and safety, I assume a staff member forgot to remove the key. Asked to speak to manager- gone home. Asked when next in? Don’t know. Asked receptionist for pair of scissors. She replies, nah, they were here but they’re gone- fantastic help! She barely lifted a finger.

the floor

Unfortunately the pool/sauna etc was out of commission being refurbished. No idea what the annex is like.

Stayed in the old part - not a flat floor to be seen or a vertical wall, comfortable but in a need of decoration (some is going on now). Very historical - plenty of character. Would use again.

Plenty

Very poor all round the pool was empty when we got there wasnt told we were going to have a swim on the monday morning but couldnt and i paid a 21.pound for breakfast which i thought was quite dear and it was stone cold all kept on hot plates but didnt keep it warm it was stone cold we were given the pelham suite very nice 4 poster bed but room was on a slope and bed was very lumpy very uncomfortable and we got back at 10.30 and was told the bar was shut never known a hotel bar shutting at 10.30 and asked for coffee and was told qite bluntly that it was not availible i can tell you one thing we wont be rushing back or recomending it but other than that thank you

Bedroom and en-suite were dated and not very well kept up together, old and tired.

Staff were helpful and accommodating. Bed linen and towels were clean and fresh. Breakfast was plentiful with lots of choice, cooked well and good produce.

Room was grubby thick dust and dirty hanky under my bed. I only looked because on arrival I couldn’t find the TV remote and it was under the bed. Black mould on sealant around the bath, plaster missing from around plug socket for the kettle, corners of room dusty. Low stock in the bar little choice of drinks, no ice.

Friendly staff nice old building centrally located

Mould growing out of the shower heads. A bath that could do with a bleaching! Urinals that looked like they hadn't been cleaned since installation. Comfier to sleep on the floor then on the bed!

There was nothing to like.. for such a good looking hotel on the website, it was purely misleading

No supermarkets or convenience stores open after 1600 Sunday afternoon, but there were lots of restaurants!

A truly delightful very old inn, extremely comfortable with excellent customer service, complete with friendly ghosts! Fantastic deep bath for tired feet walking the South Downs Way.

The carpets are a little tired but that's a minor point.

A great quirky hotel with sloping floors and ceilings dating back to the 16th century. The hotel has great character but if you're used to a Marriott or Holiday Inn this hotel is not for you. A good breakfast with plenty of choice. A very nice open fire to sit by in the bar area, plus an indoor pool in the adjacent health centre. A great location for exploring the historic and picturesque town of Lewes. The Downs are just 10 minutes walk from hotel. Recommended if you like hotels with history and character.

Room at front of hotel could do with secondary glazing to reduce road noise. Some of the carpets are rather worn and not really clean. Entrance to reception area from car park is rather tortuous. Several staircases to negotiate with luggage.

Staff helpful and welcoming. Very interesting old building with lots of original features. Lovely place to stay as long as you appreciate this. Good location for exploring Lewes, and a few minutes walk to railway station.

The breakfast was poor. Hot food was kept under the salamander grill and was dry. Pool was nice but changing room was poor.

The room was quaint but there was no wifi in the room. The bed was comfortable. Bathroom was small but clean.

Very tired and worn hotel, it has definitely seen its best years Bar closing at 10.20pm on Saturday night Noise of running water all night (room 16)

Clean room Reasonably priced Great breakfast Nice Toiletries Lots of character

The carpets were dirty and had holes in. The room was over the swimming pool as was really hot and there was a constant smell of chlorine overall the hotel looked run down

Breakfast and staff were nice. The bed was very comfy.

Floors very creaky and uneven. WiFi was broken when we stayed. Lighting can be improved. Basic but ok.

Period building full of character and rich history

Whilst generally clean, the hotel was surprisingly run down considering its prime position in the centre of town, would rather stay in one of the budget chains.

Good breakfast, good dining room, pool and gym looked excellent.

Very tired hotel needs complete facelift food is mediocre , no one to help take luggage from car or to room I was on second floor & no lift ... my room was horrid pokey tired furniture no soap in bathroom everything is shabby bed uncomfortable ...I would never stay here again , only plus side it was within walking distance to auction house I was attending ! I didn't bother to stay second night I paid for I just wanted to leave ..

Some of the staff were pleasant

We had been looking forward to a sauna and jacuzzi after our long walk to Lewes across the Downs but on arrival were told that the spa had already closed at 5pm so this was really disappointing.

The room was cosy and we liked the old wooden beams on the ceiling and walls.