Reviews of The White Hart Hotel 3 stars

Station Road, Moretonhampstead, TQ13 8NQ, United Kingdom

#7 of 8 hotels in Moretonhampstead

Delightful staff, very good location, and really excellent furnishings, an absolute pleasure

The parking down the road, not very far, and we were advised in advance, so no complaints

Whatever you order from the menu, make sure you have the Baked Camembert. Its is delicious and one of the best dishes we have ever eaten

Loved the place. Would stay again.
    • Economy Double Room

The formality of waiting in a lounge and being led in for dinner once it was prepared and ready to be immediately brought to your table.

Polite and professional staff. Good place to secure my bike for the night. Location in centre of town was very nice.

A lovely stay for one night!
    • Budget Double Room

The room was very hot and with the window open very noisy but other than that very comfortable.

Lovely facilities, very clean and everything you could need in your room.

The shower was insufficient, the ceiling was so low couldn’t...

The shower was insufficient, the ceiling was so low couldn’t stand up straight in the it , my self and partner had too crouch , the windows was dated couldn’t open properly. Breakfast was disgusting poor value for money , only good things were that the staff were friendly .

Great place to start our holiday
    • Economy Double Room

Because of a bank holiday the hotel was fully booked. We had to wait quite sometime before our breakfast was served. Our room was in another building. It was nice but quit warm.

Lovely building, good atmosphere, nice dinner .

A good find and we look forward to coming again
    • Budget Double Room

We would have liked a larger bathroom Suggest a notice in the room to remind guests to pay their parking Keep it simple: sauce with gravalax did not work Minor point: suggest that when a bottle of wine is served, bottle is not just left on the table

Room and bed Highly efficient customer service in the restaurant Food at dinner good. Steak excellent. Breakfast great and fast, pleasant service. Lounge General ambiance Location of hotel excellent

Good accommodation, excellent food and a perfect location for access to Dartmoor.

Lack of parking on site

Our room was quoted as a "budget double" but was anything but! It was comfortable and contained many extras. All the staff were friendly and helpful. The food was excellent (both dinner and breakfast). Very good value for money.

A Shining Jewel on Dartmoor

I liked everything about this hotel. The staff were extra helpful and friendly which when travelling alone is so appreciated. The decor, location, facilities, comfort and food were all excellent. I was initially put off by no parking on-site but thankfully I decided to book anyway and I'm so glad I did. The carpark is a minute walk away and very reasonable (£3.30 for 24 hours). It's such a special place so be sure to make it your destination.

Wonderfully located in Dartmoor - amazing countryside and...

Wonderfully located in Dartmoor - amazing countryside and scenery all around! The dinner we had was absolutely amazing and great wine/whisky choices. Breakfast was also A+!

Exactly what I wanted
    • Standard Family Room

Nothing - I would go back.

Staff were friendly and helpful- not always in your face but check on you and there if you need them. Room was clean and comfy. Food was good. Breakfast was generous.

We really enjoyed our two day stay,and would happily return.

There is a small problem with car parking. The hotel is about 100m from the public car park ,which one has to use since there is no parking on site. If you have a lot of luggage or the weather is poor, this can be a disadvantage , but the staff said they would always help.

The bed was very comfy and the breakfasts and dinners excellent. The staff were unfaiĺingly helpful and welcoming. The location was ideal.

Absolute bargain

Not a lot. Odd thing here and there but nothing worth mentioning

I have to admit I like staying here. Whenever I’m in the area for work I always stay here. It’s comfortable, great staff, good food and ridiculously cheap.

Characterful, comfortable period hotel in central location with friendly staff, excellent breakfast
    • Economy Double Room

Attractive, characterful hotel in period building in a central location. Very comfortable bed. Breakfast was perfect. The staff could not have been more attentive and friendly. A perfect stay. Bland it isn't.

Very pleased from start yo finish!

Everything was great!

Pleasantly surprised by the high standard of the room I had (I stayed in room 6) considering the price paid. The decor and furnishing were lovely and warm. The bed & pillows were extremely comfortable. I didn't expect vanities in the bathroom which was a bonus considering I had forgotten my cotton pad! Everything was really clean. Breakfast was excellent, fresh local product, You can tell. Nice staff all around, especially the one who probably had to wait for me to turn up after checking hours due to late train & He even managed to fix me some food..although the kitchen was close. BIG THANK YOU TO HIM !! Everything was spot on !I cannot fault this Hotel. I highly recommend if you are on the area.

Staff incredibly friendly and welcoming to us.
    • Economy Double Room

Staff incredibly friendly and welcoming to us. Dinner in the hotel restaurant absolutely delicious. Location in scenic village, perfect for getting around Dartmoor.

We only stayed for one night whilst travelling up to Wales...

We ate in the restaurant for dinner, which was really lovely, except for the basil pesto which came with the Seabass dish (the menu might have changed since we were there though). It definitely didn't taste like basil at all, my partner also tried the pesto and agreed that there was something definitely off with it (he's a Chef). I did ask the waiter about it, and he kindly checked with the kitchen what the pesto ingredients were, although I still wasn't 100% convinced as it really didn't taste like basil. Other than that, the rest of the dish and meal was delicious, and it wouldn't put me off eating there again.

We only stayed for one night whilst travelling up to Wales from Cornwall, but it was a lovely little break for our journey up. The breakfast was aaamazing, and staff very friendly and welcoming. The restaurant was lovely food was delicious, bar one thing which I've written about below. We'd defintely stay again.

Nice hotel with good restaurant

No car park Breakfast was okay - nothing overly exciting Restaurant was a bit stuffy Shower leaked over edge of bath Only 1 packet of biscuits for 2 people Breakfast finishes at 09.30 Received emails advising of busy restaurant and the need to book which wasn’t actually the case Room was slopping

Easy check in - excellent food in restaurant Free local car park in low season Comfy bed Powerful shower Lovely large towels

would recommend as base for exploring Dartmoor . I will use again.

n/a

Room very clean and comfortable. I can’t fault it for the price - exceeded my expectations in every respect. Staff were excellent - courteous and very helpful and reacted promptly to requests. overall atmosphere of the hotel was excellent, warm and inviting - family friendly

Perfect for me and my dog!
    • Economy Double Room

It’s not that I didn’t like this but I found the food a little pricey, with mains at £13-14. It was tasty though. There are a couple of pubs nearby that do more affordable pub style grub and pizzas.

I stayed here in off season, end of March 2018. I was pleased to find a pet friendly hotel for such a low price, and for the money it was rather luxurious. I had everything I needed and the room was comfortable. It’s also in a very accessible location for both the moorland and Exeter - there are a handful of good circular walks from Moretonhampstead so no lane driving needed.

Lovely hotel with great staff and deliciousness food - the perfect place from to explore Dartmoor.
    • Budget Double Room

Only one little, tiny detail we would have appreciated is hooks for our rainy coats!

Lovely little hotel with great staff. Food was great, staff were lovely and the location was great for exploring Dartmoor.

Comfortable, Great staff, Brilliant breakfast, Exceptional Value for Money
    • Economy Double Room

The staff were welcoming and friendly, they genuinely cared and made sure that every aspect of our stay was perfect. Bottled water in the bedroom is always very welcome. Luxury toiletries even an emery board and sewing kit, so rare these days but so appreciated when you need one! Breakfast was exceptional - cooked to order, tasty local produce.

Nice Hotel shame nobody seems to want to work there
    • Economy Double Room

Room 7 needs a blackout blind you may as well have put the street light in the room. Staff need a holiday they may be a bit more friendly and enjoy their jobs.

A very enjoyable stay at a lovely hotel.
    • Economy Double Room

The only thing was we sat in the bar for Sunday evening set menu and it was chilly. The waitress said that the heating would come on later but we went into the lounge and sat on top of the fire. However, the bedroom was very warm.

It was totally unexpected to have a four poster bed. ! Beautifully comfortable. The breakfast was superb and the Hotel a great venue for my stay. I will recommend The White Hart to anyone who has to travel to Moretonhampstead, either for business or as a base for exploring the area.

Wouldn't hesitate to stay here in the future.
    • Economy Double Room

Guests should be aware that there is no on-site parking. However, there are two village car-parks very close to Hotel. No parking charges are paid - out of season.

Lovely big, super comfy bed. Tea, coffee & bottled water available in the room. Flat screen TV. Good wifi. Very nicely decorated lounge area. We ate in hotel two nights running. Food was lovely on both nights. Breakfast muesli is delicious. Staff are very pleasant.

The bed was really comfy, good range of teas in the bedroom...
    • Economy Double Room

The bed was really comfy, good range of teas in the bedroom and lots of hot water for a bath. the evening meal and ambiance in the bar was really lovely and it was good having a name board on the table to add to the feeling of relaxation.

Bacon and sausage at breakfast were excellent, restaurant...
    • Standard Family Room

Bathroom ceiling had mound on (room 1), sliding bathroom door old and very noisy and the floor above was so noisy that we were woken up by the people above when they came in, I know it’s an old building and the floor boards are old but it was the worst part of our stay and I’d have to question staying again due to the noise!!!!

Bacon and sausage at breakfast were excellent, restaurant food was local and tasted fab, especially the venison, lovely decor downstairs, good staff, gin menu was brilliant!!!!! Great little place to stay!!!!

Lovely
    • Economy Double Room

The room was really hot tried opening windows but stayed like an oven

Staff was helpful and the food was amazing and the bed was so comfortable I did not want to get out.

Lovely staff, lovely location for where we had to go the next day. Walked around the town / village.

Sash window wouldn't stay open for a little bit of fresh air. Didn't ruin our sleep though.

Bed was enormous, pillows brill. Such a comfy nights sleep and we were in the front of the building. Dinner was delicious

Lovely hidden gem on the edge of Dartmoor.
    • Economy Double Room

Lack of private parking - but on road was easy and also convenient.

A hidden gem in Dartmoor - really comfortable pub/hotel in the country. Lovely interiors and very comfortable.

Warm and cosy hotel with very good menu.

water not replaced in room after 1st day ,but thats a minor quibble

Warm and cosy hotel with very good menu.Parking a bit of an issue on Saturday night but it was the Christmas lights on evening so probably ok normally!

Room ok - there was no issues.
    • Economy Double Room

Very warm in the bathroom and room ... had to open the window in the night.. Otherwise all good.. Also left a brand new jumper in the wardrobe which was a downer! my bad!

Room ok - there was no issues.

Beautiful property
    • Economy Double Room

It would be perfect if the tea stains on the table was not visible.

Everything is attended to details. Our room was so spacious, airy that we had our best sleep. From the windom, I could see stars above so clearly. The seafood linguine was the best I have ever had.

Really good value for money and exceptionally clean.
    • Budget Double Room

The bartender was a bit stand-offish when we (as a group) had a couple of glasses of wine, due to the last person of our party joining us at 22:45. It was the first time we had got together as a group, not that the bartender would have known that to be fair. Breakfast was ok - the fruit juice was a bit sweet but there was a reasonable selection.

The style of the property was really nice. Modern and extremely clean. It was great that it took dogs too. Great location in the middle of town and the car park wasn't far away to walk. Really comfortable place!

Great value for a short break.
    • Budget Double Room

Bathroom clean and well equipped but whose bright idea was it to put a large overhead shower in a 2'6" square shower cubicle? Pretentious and impractical. A normal adjustable shower would be so much better.

Room was clean and comfortable and nicely decorated. Bed was very comfortable. Both breakfast and evening meal were excellent - the standard of the food exceeded my expectations. Staff friendly and mostly local - a real joy!

Fab food, lovely staff, chilled stay and will be back.

No car parking on site but it was my choice to pick the accommodation knowing there wasn’t.

Our room was lovely although our shower head was broken the issue was resolved quickly and the staff couldn’t have been better.

Breakfast should finish at 10 am and not 9:30 am.

Breakfast should finish at 10 am and not 9:30 am. Also water bottles in the room a struggle to opened actually impossible to open! We had to use scissors and I cut my finger trying to open it. and we heard that same problem in other rooms so I was not just a 1 off!

Quiet, comfortable and relaxing.
    • Economy Double Room

Breakfast needs to be improved. More local produce - jam, honey. Perhaps pastries and fresh fruit. It's not up to the high standad of lunch and dinner

The food (except breakfast) is excellent. Great atmosphere and staff always attentive

A very relaxing night

Just mind your head in a couple of spots ;)

Very nice hotel in town center, modern yet located in an old building - mind your head, ceiling can be low in a couple of places! Comfortable bed and good looking bedroom, good noise insulation (double glazing), good food and nice people looking after you.

A fabulous two night stay. Everything was perfect

I asked if at dinner there could be some birthday touches for my husbands birthday that day and the table was decorated for us. A lovely surprise for him! The food at dinner was superb! We had a fabulous dinner and the staff were very attentive and friendly.

Excellent - would stay here again...
    • Economy Double Room

Could have done with shower screen(s) to the bath - over bath shower, but with no-where to put the shower - suggest a vertical post / column for mounting of shower head / hose.

Superb traditional english cooked breakfast and great coffee!!! The rooms were spacious, spotless, and very comfortable. The bed were particularly comfortable. I could have had a longer lie-in, but the call of breakfast was too strong!

A welcoming hotel, with very comfortable accommodation.
    • Budget Double Room

The TV screen was fixed quite high on the wall, which we found uncomfortable to view. Also the window couldn't be opened, and without air conditioning it became pretty stuffy at times. One small gripe in the bathroom ~ the centre of the shower control knob fell out twice.

The bed was extremely comfortable which is so important, and there were plenty of towels provided. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room, being in the budget-priced category, and everything was very clean. The food was well cooked from a varied menu at acceptable prices Plus all the staff were friendly and most helpful.

Would stay again

Our bed was too soft but that's personal preference Room was overlooking the road & was quite noisy, too noisy to open the window whilst sleeping

Our little dog was treated to a sausage every morning when we had our breakfast Fabulous breakfast, lunch & supper

Lovely location. Hotel adequate but could be improved with more attention to detail.

Breakfast limited. Accommodated in annexe down the road not main hotel and this not apparent when booked. Humming noise from sub station with windows open.

Location in town.

Could not really fault anything
    • Economy Double Room

We were allocated a Mews room which is some distance from the main hotel. However, as we are elderly we would have had difficulty getting up the stairs at the actual hotel.

Will use again if in the area, enjoyable

great location, central, all amenities in walking distance,...
    • Economy Double Room

service at dinner time could be a bit slow, very nice though

great location, central, all amenities in walking distance, quiet hotel, good food, super helpful reception staff, would definitely stay there again

Won't do that again. Had to go home for a rest.

EXTREMELY noisy - didn't get a wink of sleep. On the corner of a major junction so lots of traffic ( surprising for such a small place ) and lorries emptying bins etc starting at 5am and went on and on all morning. No double glazing - so can hear everything. No car park.

Good place to stay on Dartmoor

Parking 100 metres away, no great problem, glad it wasn't raining.

Very comfortable, very clean and well situated in centre of town. Very nice breakfast and dinner, good local beers in bar.

Perfect hotel with incredible views!
    • Budget Double Room

Ordered toast with breakfast but none served. Not a deal breaker though!

Room and view were incredible! Accommodated us for birthday celebration. Perfect hotel and great staff. Breakfast was good too. Will definitely return and stay here instead of Okehampton.

Find somewhere else for a good nights sleep
    • Economy Double Room

There was a busy road outside that we needed to cross to get back to the main hotel or infact anywhere, this was very dangerous. The room was noisy from both the road and an electricity sub station which constantly buzzed so we could not have the windows open in the room, The light in the room did not work and the people upstairs may have well been in the room as they sounded like they would come through the floor every time they moved. The Bathroom had a large spider in it which scared my daughter and the Manager was rude to me when I spoke to her.

Our stay was upsetting due to our comment above
    • Economy Double Room

I booked the restaurant in the morning but the restaurant was full in the evening had to have our meal in the bar we should have been told when I booked in the morning that we would be eating in the bar. If I knew this was going to happen I would have gone some where else

Breakfast very good also room

The location was very good, and hotel was easy to find.
    • Budget Double Room

The location was very good, and hotel was easy to find. The room was very clean and a good size. Dinner at the hotel was excellent, and very good value for money, and breakfast which was included was also excellent. Would definitely recommend, and would like to return to the hotel for another visit.

An excellent hotel with outstanding staff and superb food.
    • Economy Double Room

A minor point: the black pudding at breakfast fell apart, and I felt it tasted quite bitter.

I had an extremely comfortable room with an excellent bed! The service throughout was superb, and the meal in the restaurant was outstanding. I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to others, and will not hesitate to stay there again if I have the opportunity.

Short and hot room.
    • Standard Family Room

Very hot room. Upstairs in the Mews. We found a fan eventually. One small velux window - compared to size of the room - that wouldn't stay open so we wedged it open with a mug. It was a roof room so slanting roof meant you had to remember not to bang your head, but perhaps the insulation in the roof not good. So there was no view out either, but only there 1 night. Probably could get out of it if there was a fire on the stairs but not everyone could!

Access to fridge. Good size bedroom and shower room.

Fine if you want a stay on Dartmoor

Shower over bath didn't work well and ceiling was so low we couldn't stand up in the shower!

Lovely large comfortable bed in a quiet but central location in the town. Close to cheap public car park

Comfy room, a little noisy.
    • Budget Double Room

My single room was next to the road, so, having the window open for some fresh air was very noisy in the morning. be prepared to be awake early!

Good restaurant serving great value food. Good portion sizes, you will be satisfied.

nice and comfortable
    • Budget Double Room

the windows a bit worn out and old and not insulated...the breakfast for someone who comes from the continent and doesn´t like cooked english breakfast the choice of alternatives could eventually be considered a bit poorly

the room was lovely and clean. the bed super comfy, very nice and with a modern bathroom. in the lounge i could find the latest newspapers and the hotel is directly in the center of the village.

Great find - will be using again.

Our room window was above the outside seating area, so when anyone smoked it came up through the window. We had to keep it closed in the evening.

Really great menu for evening meal & nice breakfast. Good selection of beers. Friendly helpful service.

Room was well appointed and comfortable.
    • Budget Double Room

Economy Double should be renamed 'noisy' double. Property is situated on a busy main road where heavy traffic starts at around 5am. Breakfast menu limited.

Room was well appointed and comfortable. Huge portions at dinner - too big for me really but good value.

Friendly, clean & comfortable, a very enjoyable stay in a magic location.
    • Economy Double Room

Great location, spacious room at the Mews, very friendly staff, light, clean & comfortable rooms. Really enjoyed the stay here & the food was scrumptious.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

excellent hotel in perfect location
    • Budget Double Room

Breakfast could have been better , although it ticked all the boxes it was just normal fare

bedrooms cosy with all amenities. Very good shower . A good bar service with good interaction from locals

Nice hotel with no car park
    • Budget Double Room

The hotel has no car park which entails moving cases etc from the car up a slight incline to the hotel which is approx. 100 yards away. We had to make 2 trips each way in order to remove all belongings for security reasons.

Well appointed Hotel and rooms. Good food and staff very pleasant.

Ok stay, not as good as our last visit!
    • Budget Double Room

Poor quality toilet flush! Hairs on bathroom floor. Burnt toast morning one, over cooked breakfast morning two. Slow breakfast service - maybe more staff needed?

Cooked breakfast good quality food used (despite not being brilliantly cooked!). Comfy bed. Faulty toilet in first room wasn't fixed when we were told it had been so promptly moved to different room.

Great accommodation, great food, great staff!
    • Economy Double Room

We stayed here as we were attending a wedding reception at Bovey Castle - if you need a taxi (night or day) book it in advance! We live in a rural area and have never experienced being completely unable to book a taxi before!

The staff were really helpful and friendly and we enjoyed a great night's sleep in the mews and a wonderful Devon breakfast the next morning!

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Lovely place stay!

You have to park down the road but the warm welcome and the hotel itself made up for this.

Excellant breakfast its true! Beautiful decor, spotlessly clean and all facilities up to date.

Comfortable and convenient as I was visiting friends in the village.

My room was a little noisy when cars drove pass the side of the hotel where my room was located, but eventually I got use to it.

The very friendly staff always welcomed me back to the hotel with a smile and friendly chats every evening (10.30'ish) throughout my stay.

Food was excellent and the reaction to minor problems was...
    • Budget Double Room

Food was excellent and the reaction to minor problems was first class. The location in the centre of Dartmoor was convenient for exploring provided you were not worried by roads smaller than usual

A hidden gem in the heart of Dartmoor

The shower screen was totally ineffective and the bathroom turned into a flood every time we had a shower. There were no baked beans with the cooked breakfast. The restaurant meals were a mixed bag: some of the evening meals were superb with top-notch ingredients and stylish fine-dining presentation while other dishes were just average (and rather bland!) pub meals. The Sunday lunch was particularly disappointing with undercooked potatoes and veg. Car park charges begin at 9am so ensure that you pay for a ticket the night before if you're planning a leisurely start!

Cosy, tastefully decorated room with a lovely bathroom and nice toiletries. Breakfast was excellent with puffy croissants and wonderful homemade jam and marmalade, plus all the usual hot food options. It's definitely worth booking half board if you can, the evening meals are generally very good apart from a few exceptions. The location was ideal for hiking as it's only a 15-20 min drive into the moorlands and there's a Co-op mini supermarket opposite that's ideal for picking up drinks, sandwiches, snacks etc. Good strong Wi-Fi in both the lounge and our room. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. Bit of a hassle to leave the car in the public car park down the road but very reasonably priced.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Nice room and lovely interior
    • Budget Double Room

No simple bar meals just fancy food in restaurant but there were pubs doing good food close.

Croissants were lovely and the breakfast was excellent lovely village with great walking from the front door.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

A Pleasant Hotel Located in the Town Centre.
    • Budget Double Room

No car park, however we were aware of this. A public car park is located about three minutes walk from the hotel, so it wasn't a problem. Our room was very small and we were glad to stay only one night.

This was our second stay at this hotel. Centrally located, Friendly and helpful staff. We had a very good dinner and breakfast at the hotel.

Good stay
    • Standard Family Room

Beds were not very comfortable and bathroom - which is very large - would have benefited from a bathtub. Parking is in a public car park just down the block. Would have been good to know about this extra cost in advance.

Family room was a good size and good value. Large bathroom with a strong but small shower. Nice breakfast and very good dinner. Be sure to book for dinner as options are few in town and they do get booked up. Good location for walks and sights in surrounding area and just across the street from tourist office which is handy.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

Excellent food and choice of wines and beer.

Car parking is in the Pay and Display about 200 yards away. Not too bad because when we stayed it was free but sometimes we had to wait for a space.

Excellent food and choice of wines and beer. Friendly, helpful staff. Great rooms.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

A lovely place to stay for a treat!
    • Standard Family Room

Some of the locks on the doors could have been better, e.g. we couldn't have unlocked the bathroom from outside if our children had had a problem.

We stayed in the Mews and it was good to be able to put the children to bed and then sit downstairs as we would at home. The evening meal we ate in the main hotel was excellent, as were the breakfasts - even the fussy children were well catered for!

Friendly Hotel in Dartmoor Village

Ceiling height in shower - had to stay bent to take a shower.

Lovely Breakfast. Comfy Rooms. Nice meal in the evening. Very friendly staff. Handy for Dartmoor and also Torbay.

Lovely hotel with great staff.
    • Economy Double Room

Occasionally the cosy room did get a little too warm for me and as the room faced the front the traffic noise could be a bit loud - but I feel that's nitpicking and it didn't detract from a wonderful stay.

The staff were really friendly and helpful. The breakfast was lovely and the evening meals I had there were also really good. The room was very clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Superb value, friendly greeting, with excellent food
    • Economy Double Room

Stayed in room 10, Quite a lot of stairs and quite narrow with a heavy bag to carry

Had evening meal in the bar and the food was amazing, had a lovely room with an extremely comfortable bed 😀