Reviews of Bedford Swan Hotel This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

The Embankment, Bedford, MK40 1RW, United Kingdom

#8 of 10 hotels in Bedford

• Reviewed: July 20, 2018

Overall a good weekend

We stayed in the hotel with friends for 2 nights. Booked a year prior, found on website three day before booking in that the pool was closed, reason for booking this hotel was mainly the pool. Very disappointed that their was no customer communication regarding the pool. Complained on the phone prior to arrival in which a small discount was applied.

hotel in great location.

• Reviewed: July 20, 2018

Great location, nice food. A few thing to resolve to live up to it's potential

Parking is difficult and limited. The hotel promises so much but the delivery seems to let it down. We attended a wedding and the food was incredibly late with menu issues coming to light although the food itself was very good. There were a lot of issues at the bar with inexperienced staffing, limited choices of products and problems with chillers meaning even less choice of drinks.

The location is lovely on the river. We sat outside and had a drink watching all the activity taking place. A lovely spot to spend some leisure time.

• Reviewed: July 16, 2018

Nice relaxing weekend break

I booked a deluxe room with a telephone confirmation of Prosecco to be in my room awaiting my arrival pending a proposal of marriage-on getting to my room the Prosecco wasn't there,I had to pursue this which then took the shine off of the proposal The Air Con was awful however the room location was spot on over looking the river. On the bedside tables there was dust on the glass shelf and also thick dust underneath the shelf sitting on the table. Breakfast was in abundance and was served as room service it was of very good quality Having pointed out the negatives as above I'd stay here again no problem

Location view breakfast in bed

• Reviewed: July 13, 2018

Could not have been any better.

The staff is wonderful, the facilities are fantastic and the dinning is excellent. I was in Bedford to visit family and the outside patio area provided a great place to meet and relax.

• Reviewed: July 12, 2018

A favorite hotel in Bedford but this trip a little tough because air con not working on a hot night.

Air con, location for weekend drinking and partying.

I have stayed at the Swan and it is an excellent hotel, however this time air conditioning was not working and it was hot and 3rd floor window only opened 3 inches. A small fan helped. I could not sleep till 1 am between the heat and the noise from drinking and partying. It was a last minute reservation so location does make a difference in this old style very nice hotel.

• Reviewed: July 11, 2018

3.0
    Uncomfortable

I was asked to pre authorise my card and I refused as I was told the air con was broken but I ‘might’ get a fan by some kid on reception who clearly took exception to me. They finally confirmed we had a fan. I asked was there bottled water in the room and was told yes. Got up to the room which was tiny, no bottled water and really noisy from below but had no option but to leave window open as air con wasn’t working and fan did nothing. Room was priced at £123. Wasn’t worth £23. Complained in the morning and was given 50% without even asking. Tells you a lot about the place. Awful!!

• Reviewed: July 11, 2018

Very disappointed and now getting quite angry at my letter of complaint being ignored.
    • Luxury Double Room

Paid extra for luxury room with river view but the room overlooked a very busy roundabout and the river was near non existent. Offered another that had river view but room was definitely not luxury, tiny with paint peeling and not a scratch on luxury room. Offered deal including discount for no river view but this was not given when paying next morning despite reminding them of the deal. Some staff stop and listen to your question and then walk away without a word when they don't understand you. Long delay over breakfast despite raising concerns with 2 staff members and 2 foreign staff having a heated exchange amongst the breakfast guests was certainly not welcome. All of this was put in a letter to the manager weeks ago but it seems they are too busy to reply.

Polite and professional reception staff. Beautiful interior.

• Reviewed: July 9, 2018

The property is in a good central location.

Parking is limited at busy times Lacking toiletries in the room. Bar staff need some training. The restaurant was fully booked and stopped serving at 21:30!

The property is in a good central location. Room was clean. Nice looking property. Comfy bed. Decent air conditioning.

• Reviewed: July 1, 2018

Near town centre a fab Italian restaurant across the bridge.

View from our room was a bit rubbish and we had some very very hard pillows, fine if you like that sort of thing.. next time I’d take my own, it wouldn’t stop me returning. No table service outside on the terrace.

Breakfast and staff were exceptional. The coffee at breakfast was first class. Dinner in the restaurant one evening was most enjoyable (recommend the lamb.29.06.18). The terrace was a nice area to relax, shame there wasn’t table service!!!

• Reviewed: June 25, 2018

Great value, great quality and very professional staff!
    • Luxury Double Room

The staff were incredibly friendly and extremely helpful. They did not have the room I had booked although this was genuine mistake. We were given a very nice room anyway and were also given complimentary parking and breakfast. Second time we stayed here and would definitely recommend to anyone else.

• Reviewed: June 25, 2018

Lovely relaxed stay, can't wait to come back when pool and Jacuzzi are up and running.
    • Suite

more options for continental breakfast.

loved this Hotel, beautiful setting on the River. Nice Terrace Bar to enjoy a drink in the sun. Lovely features in the Hotel. Beautiful spacious room with river view made it special.

• Reviewed: June 24, 2018

Good location. Not good value for money.

The public areas in the hotel are beautifuly but disappointingly the rooms are old and tired and lack basic comforts. The room smelled of smoke from historic smoking assumably and the air con didn't work. We couldn't open the window because of a party on the other side of the river and the shower was appalling. We also had one shampoo and one shower gel to share and only one packet of biscuits!

Staff were top notch. The hotel actually let the staff down I think. Public areas very well kept and very pretty views of the river.

Very poor

Room was too dark to get ready in. No hot water. Took 35 mins to get a coffee in the morning and most importantly was charged more than the price on booking.com. have emailed for a refund of the difference with proof but still had no reply.

Bar outside

• Reviewed: June 24, 2018

We were very pleased with the room and the décor throughout...

I can't think of anything that would cause me to comment.

We were very pleased with the room and the décor throughout the hotel. All the staff were very obliging - mostly foreign who seem to know how to oblige guests. We hope to return to visit relatives who live just outside Bedford.

• Reviewed: June 20, 2018

Location was good and nice breakfast.

Bath was all cracked in our room and toilet roll was mucky before we had even got in. None of spa bit was open/pool didn’t have water in.

Location was good and nice breakfast.

• Reviewed: June 17, 2018

It is a lovely hotel.

The only thing was the spa facilities were closed while we were there.

It is a lovely hotel. The staff were all very helpful and polite. Definitely going back. Highly recommend.

• Reviewed: June 16, 2018

loved the garden terrace.
    • Luxury Double Room

Was very disappointed that the website had not stated that the jacuzzi and pool were not open as we had planned for treatments and time at the facilities. had we have know this we had gone elsewhere. The room floor boards were very creaky and so were the other rooms so we could hear everything

loved the garden terrace.

• Reviewed: June 11, 2018

Terrible

There were blood stains on my bed sheets which was absolutely disgusting and inexcusable and I had a fridge that was lukewarm and there was no air con. This is definently the worst hotel that I have ever stayed at.

• Reviewed: June 10, 2018

Food lovely / staff friendly and polite / bed too soft

Stayed here over 15 years ago and it was fabulous so was disappointed as room decor is now a bit tired and in need of enhancing. The bed was way too soft :( (room 166)

The food was lovely and and staff were lovely / polite / helpful and welcoming cannot fault that at all.

• Reviewed: June 7, 2018

Only OK

The room was only 'OK'. Everything looked a little 'tired'. The room had an odd musty / sickly sweet smell ( was that an air freshener trying to cover something? ) Water pressure feeble. I just felt the room was probably overpriced. Breakfast extra. Parking charged on top. Grumble grumble

Check in and out was handled pleasantly and efficiently. Room clean and bed comfortable. Wifi good with easy connection

• Reviewed: June 3, 2018

The only good thing about this hotel is the location.

For having a strong reputation around Bedford as a lovely hotel, was very disappointed. Pool facilities unfortunately closed. The rooms are old, dingy and have a stale musky smell. Kept awake until 3:30am due to noise from neighbouring rooms and thin walls. Reception manager was simply rude when reluctantly giving late check out. Would not stay again.

The only good thing about this hotel is the location.

• Reviewed: June 3, 2018

Amazing, lovely staff, beautiful location and building.

Bathroom would have been nicer if it had separate shower and bath.

Amazing staff. Lady on reception Sarah was just wonderful. Super nice and helpful. Bed was really comfy and location is perfect!!

• Reviewed: June 2, 2018

Enjoyed a relaxing weekend break would definitely go back

A little confusion over dinner booking, resolved very quickly, and the meal was delicious. The bed rolled a little into the middle, but the room facilities were good.

Excellent location, beautiful traditional interior, staff very helpful.

• Reviewed: June 1, 2018

Our go to for lodging in Bedford!
    • Luxury Double Room

The provided breakfast was a little skimpy. It was a bank holiday weekend and I know they were very busy, but I do feel like an effort could have been made to accommodate my husbands request for an omelette.

We enjoy the Bedford Swan and this is our go to location when visiting family friends in the area. We bring our medium sized dog and the hotel is very welcoming. While the parking can be a challenge, the staff will go above and beyond to assist you if you have difficulty. They even had a staff member move their car so we could park ours, unbelievable and unexpected...how gracious! Our room is always lovely and this time we had a view of the canal. Great location, wonderful staff and a lovely comfortable room where our dog is welcome, we'll be back!

• Reviewed: May 30, 2018

Staff were amazingly cheerful and helpful.

Bathroom sink was badly damaged and obviously not recently. Strong mildew smell in bathroom. Parking was difficult.

Staff were amazingly cheerful and helpful. Top marks.

• Reviewed: May 30, 2018

Lovely we wish we booked for 2 nights instead of only 1

Nothing!!!

We were given a lovely room with a view of the canal, the room was corner room so was bigger than the average it was well present and the bathroom was exceptionally clean. Staff were friendly and very helpful. This is my 3rd trip to Bedford as my partner has family living here. I will choose The Swan again for accommodation as I have on my previous visits

• Reviewed: May 29, 2018

Our room was quite small.

Our room was quite small. Even to the point of being claustrophobic. Had to shuffle past each other. Loved the hotel though and would have been happy to pay a little more for a bigger room.

• Reviewed: May 29, 2018

You should have made it known we couldn’t use the outside terrace
    • Suite

The bed was hard the pillows were bad. The outside seating area was taken over by a wedding and we were not allowed to use it. Given this was the main reason for choosing this hotel it was very disappointing.

Doubt I will return

Terrible parking! A wedding was on and we wasn’t told about limited parking. We have a 14 month old son and I’m 27 weeks pregnant and had to park half an hour away and carry all luggage including baby stuff. Once we arrived we was simply told we should have called ahead to park!!!!!!! Rooms are very small with small beds, I certainly thought it was overpriced and not sure if I would return

Staff were very friendly with a gorgeous location

Comfortable & convienent

Car park is very tight & open to the public - couldn't get in Saturday night and car was 'keyed' while parked on the street :( If they have wedding function you won't get back in :(

fab location and lovely public areas, very nice atmosphere and excellent staff

Stay at the Radisson instead

Car parking is ridiculous because the hotel has decided to open it's parking to the public, which results in it being full all the time. The nearest car park is the Radisson Hotel across the river. You may as well just stay there instead! Price is the same and you get dedicated parking. Also, dragging your luggage through the hordes of people having afternoon teas at tables lining the reception area is also a negative, for us and those trying to enjoy themselves.

• Reviewed: May 28, 2018

Such a dog friendly top hotel very classy and clean nothing...

Couldn’t fault it

Such a dog friendly top hotel very classy and clean nothing was too much trouble great facilities for my disabled Dad too, would defiantly visit again

• Reviewed: May 27, 2018

Aircon broken in our room and room overall looking very...
    • Luxury Double Room

Aircon broken in our room and room overall looking very tired, not what I was expecting when we’d paid extra for a luxury room. Clean though and bed comfortable. Breakfast was really nice and when we complained about the Aircon the receptionist was really helpful and gave us breakfast and parking for free. Overall a good stay

• Reviewed: May 24, 2018

The location and the atmosphere of the hotel out way any negatives.

The bathroom is very small with a very narrow bath. The toilet is squashed between the sink and the bath. If I was a large person I would struggle to fit.

The hotel is on the river and just round the corner at the end of the high street so is in a perfect location. Excellent breakfast. Although you pay £5 per night for parking it is easy and worth it.

• Reviewed: May 22, 2018

Comfortable and clean room, good food, friendly staff and a...

Inside bar not very comfortable. Also very disappointed that pool and spa were closed...we were not made aware of this when booking.

Comfortable and clean room, good food, friendly staff and a excellent location.

• Reviewed: May 17, 2018

hotel in great position by river and overall a good choice
    • Luxury Double Room

The indoor swimming pool was shut which was a pity and although the breakfast was ok I am not a big fan of buffet style English breakfast

The position of the hotel was ideal by the river and our room had a nice view,the staff were nice and hotel was of a reasonable standard

• Reviewed: May 16, 2018

Central location in historical riverside building.

Perfectly adequate and pleasant place to stay for 1-2 nights but I was expecting a bit more luxury for the price. £129 per night seems a little high, making this poor value for money.

Central location in historical riverside building. Nice breakfasts.

• Reviewed: May 16, 2018

Good location nice building useful parking

Noise from the “band” outside in the outdoor bar area

Location very good nice building , room pretty standard hotel room character of the hotel building not reflected in the room but that was to be expected

Bar staff and reception where very helpful

Breakfast staff could have been better at showing us to our table. Offering us Tea or coffee- had to ask a number of time before we got some Telling us that the kitchen would cook anything we wanted.

Bar staff and reception where very helpful

• Reviewed: May 15, 2018

Plenty of character, great location, would stay again

Wasn't so keen on the bar food but it was extremely busy. Breakfast was better.

I liked the decor and atmosphere of the hotel. It has character. Boutique hotels are all the same and lack history. Price was excellent as I booked a month in advance. Great location with free parking. Would definitely stay again.

• Reviewed: May 14, 2018

A beautiful setting for a special event.

Not in your control but the restaurant was very crowded at breakfast and there was some queuing for seats. Both mornings we had to attract the attention of staff to ask for coffee or tea, it wasn't automatically offered.

Very comfortable bed but if I had arrived with my husband I would have been very annoyed to find the bed against the wall. As a single occupant it wasn't an issue. Breakfast was lovely with a range of quality fare. I was thrilled to have a bath! A hotel with parking is a real bonus and reasonably priced. As part of a large group we could have been hard to accommodate but staff and guests were very understanding.

• Reviewed: May 14, 2018

Perfect location, nice and chilled, friendly helpful staff

The rain - out of your control

Location, hotel was homely (in a good way) not a standard box style room. Sadly spa was out of action due to refurb - advised in advance which was good

• Reviewed: May 14, 2018

Location was excellent and the outside bar area was very...

Car park is limited for spaces and also open for the general public to use which reduced spaces available.

Location was excellent and the outside bar area was very good.

• Reviewed: May 13, 2018

We did not have time due early start to beat road problems.

Car parking is limited but staff were terrific by moving barrier to allow us the last slot.

We did not have time due early start to beat road problems.

• Reviewed: May 13, 2018

Great place to meet up with old College friends. Plenty of room for sitting and chatting.

Slight muddle at Reception on arrival - over pre-booking of room, and pre- payment. Difficulty of using shower/bath. The system of "taps" was very difficult to manage! Lack of drawers for clothes.

Kind and accomodating Staff. Nice roomy room. Comfy beds. Great Breakfast. Lovely fresh Cream Tea! Great position by the River

• Reviewed: May 9, 2018

Central hotel with helpful staff.

We booked in early and asked specifically for a room with a view of the river. We were promised a room on the third floor with good views. When we returned to collect the key and move into the room we were given a room overlooking the car park. When we asked to move the receptionist did make an effort to give us a room and eventually gave us a larger room. It was a shame that it happened in the first place. Also sad that the spa was closed for an upgrade as we specifically wanted this facility.

The hotel is central to Bedford and has a good car park, although you have to pay for it. The view of the river is pretty. The staff were helpful and polite.

• Reviewed: May 9, 2018

The dinner was lovely, breakfast was ok as some cooked food...

Decoration.

The dinner was lovely, breakfast was ok as some cooked food was overdone. Overall hotel is very tired and needs a bit of tlc. We had to change rooms on the first night as the safe wasn't working, changed back to the original room after safe was fixed as the air con in the 2nd room wasn't working. Staff were always helpful and cheerful.

• Reviewed: May 9, 2018

Great location, pleasant hotel.

Bathroom could do with a modernisation scheme. Some of the breakfast tables were very close and it was difficult to be comfortable being constantly nudged or indeed nudging other.

Fantastic location and probably overall the best hotel to stay in on a visit to Bedford.

• Reviewed: May 8, 2018

6.0
    Nice building staff are welcoming manergers think they can treat people in a rude way new management

Check in was rather long of shut down ! Ac in the room made a sound all night Jacuzzi and swimming pool was out off order Over hearing a manger shouting and staff member over ice he was very rude

The staff at was reseption was very lovely and welcoming

• Reviewed: May 8, 2018

Car parking - this is my second visit to the Hotel and...

Car parking - this is my second visit to the Hotel and unfortunately I experienced the same issue of not being able to park on the Saturday evening until after 10pm, this is very off putting as there is very little parking near the hotel.

• Reviewed: May 7, 2018

Overall good but would expect breakfast to be included for the price

Bathroom was showing it’s age and shower poor. Parking was very tight in a contractors van due to poor parking by others rather than the actual car park, suggest segregation for larger vehicles

extremely pleasant and enjoyable

we had no complaints about anything

The staff, the food and the room were all excellent. Could not fault any aspect of the hotel. there not many hotels we would want to return to, but this one we would definitely would return to it we are able

• Reviewed: May 7, 2018

We enjoyed our stay despite the minor drawbacks we found.
    • Suite

Our room was sold as a "suite", with a correspondingly high price, but it was merely a larger than average room with a normal sized en-suite bathroom, with an over-bath shower. My idea of a suite from experience at other hotels is somewhat different. E.g. I would expect a larger bathroom and usually a separate room for the sofa, TV etc., and a dining table. This room was little more than a large normal room with some added extras. To add to the disappointment we found that the fridge didn't work, so the bottled water and chocolate bars provided in the fridge were at room temperature.

The bed was large and comfortable, and the room (described as a suite) was well equipped with a comfy sofa and large smart TV and fridge. The view from the window was great, giving a view of the river with its swans etc. There were dressing gowns provided, and air conditioning. The Breakfast was a good standard, though self service.

• Reviewed: May 5, 2018

Classy inn turned hotel with good facilities and a great location.

While we were there it was too busy to get a table for dinner - don’t forget to book!

Super location and lots of parking (some covered). Comfortable and classy interior. River, walks, city centre and lots of restaurants within a few mins walk.

• Reviewed: May 1, 2018

Good.
    • Suite

The pool wasn't open and we weren't told till we asked to go swimming - should have been told at check in or a note in the room

Comfortable room. Friendly staff. Cheap parking.

• Reviewed: May 1, 2018

Overall an excellent hotel in a great location but very disappointed by closed facilities.

Swimming pool and facilities closed, I should have been notified in advance. Some decoration needs updating particularly in the staircase but a minor fault.

Fantastic location, wonderful view. Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Reviewed: April 30, 2018

Unimpressive

The bathroom was dirty. It was a dark, dingy and small room. There was no access to the spa. It was massively overpriced!

The bed was reasonable, and the location was ideal.

• Reviewed: April 28, 2018

Fantastic stay overall, lovely staff but hotel needs a little updating

Was a little tired. Swimming pool was out of action and was disappointed with that although the staff were very lovely. The staff were rushed off their feet in the evening for cocktails took ages.

Staff were lovely and setting was great.

• Reviewed: April 25, 2018

Mixed stay. A gem of a building.

NO swimming pool. One reason for wishing to stay. Noticed sign saying it was being serviced, AFTER I checked in.

Quiet other worldly atmosphere. Cotswold atmosphere next to the river.

• Reviewed: April 25, 2018

Disappointed, had not been informed of pool closure.

Unfortunately we were VERY disappointed that the pool was unavailable due to refurbishment as we had NOT been informed of this when we booked the previous day. This had been the main reason we planned our stay at the Swan and therefore the greatest disappointment. We were given complimentary breakfast as a compensation.

Clean presentable rooms and friendly staff.

• Reviewed: April 23, 2018

Good central hotel, reception service good, staff service so...

Good central hotel, reception service good, staff service so so. Were at a themed dinner event and food wasn't great but maybe that is not in the hotels control as much.

• Reviewed: April 22, 2018

The location is perfect, in the centre of town and near the...

Unfortunately, the pool at the spa is closed until further notice. Also, the tea tray in our room was hidden in the cupboard and we almost missed it!

The location is perfect, in the centre of town and near the river. The public spaces are really beautiful. The rooms we had were comfortable and clean, and the AC was very much appreciated as it was such a hot evening! All in all a nice stay.

• Reviewed: April 21, 2018

Lovely staff beautiful building

I came there purposely to use the spa facilities but when I got there they were closed for refurbishment, I wasn’t told before hand and still had to pay full price, not an enjoyable stay after being let down, the room was quite dated, needed a revamp I wouldn’t stay again

Lovely staff beautiful building

• Reviewed: April 20, 2018

Amazing stay - Hopefully next time the pool will be open!
    • Suite

Unfortunately the pool area was under re-furbishment and we were not informed about this, and this was one of the main reasons we chose the hotel, however when we did speak with the manager she apologised and gave us a few freebies.

The Staff, Food and the interior of the building were amazing! Lovely area with great views from the resturant. I was proposing to my partner this weekend and they were extrmemely helpful from the moment i booked the hotel to the moment we left.

• Reviewed: April 15, 2018

Awful

So noisy at night. Until 3am people walking around closing doors.i had an autistic child who was crying because she couldn't go to sleep because of the noise

• Reviewed: April 15, 2018

Nice hotel but uncomfortably hot room

I had possibly the worst nights sleep in any hotel due to the room being so hot! It hit you like a wall when we first entered the room. There was air conditioning which wasn’t on turned it on and also asked reception to check it out (which they did). Came back to the room at midnight only to be greeted with a wall of heat. Spent the night laying on top of the bed sweating got minimum sleep. Prospect of moving rooms at 1 in the morning didn’t appeal. Next time I have an issue with a room I’ll ask to be moved to another room, don’t assume that problems will be fixed!

The location is very good for Bedford town.

• Reviewed: April 11, 2018

Didn’t mean my expectations of a luxury hotel
    • Luxury Double Room

Our room had a drippy air conditioning unit which along with the noise outside kept us awake all night, had the worst night sleep

Breakfast was a good selection and tasty

• Reviewed: April 9, 2018

Sarah, Ana and Laura were amazing and made our stay so pleasant.

Limited parking for hotel guests.

Parking was a challenge as car park was full. I have a disabled Mother and I called the hotel to explain our issue. Sarah in Reception sorted us out with no delay and soon we found ourselves parked in the Staff car park. No sooner had we parked, Ana from Reception came to greet us and helped with baggage and with my Mother. Shortcut to Reception, very few steps, a wonderful greeting. Check in was fast and efficient and delivered with a positive and very friendly manner. Th evening meal, wonderful. Mother has a restricted diet and the hotel met our expectations superbly, thank you. Laura our waitress was a diamond, she was so helpful.

• Reviewed: April 7, 2018

O.K.

There is a pool at this hotel, and a sauna, which is part of its appeal. But all of these facilities were out of operation throughout my stay due to maintenance. This wasn't made clear on booking.com at the time of first booking. I should really have requested a discount for this, but maybe I'm too polite. Whilst the hotel is stylish and old world - it is looking a bit shabby in places. Especially in the lifts. And a pool out of action - not good. .

Stylish historical hotel. The staff were uniformly very professional and friendly during this visit.

• Reviewed: April 3, 2018

Good location, not a bad view but shame about the ugly hotel over the river
    • Suite

The pool was closed which wasn't clear when booking. The bedroom has clearly been refurbed and was quite nice but the bathroom appeared to have not been touched in quite a long time and was disappointing as the edges round the bath were cracked and some of the grouting dirty

The public areas of the hotel were very nice and great location

• Reviewed: April 3, 2018

Bedford Swan hotel

The spa was closed for a refurb, we did know this before, just a shame.

Main building is beautiful, we stayed in the new building which is a bit corporate but had everything you need. Room Could do with an update and a new bed. Great location for visitor attractions nearby.

• Reviewed: April 2, 2018

Traditional top class hotel in excellent location for town...

in the original part of the building, no soundproofing from the room upstairs, the couple above were certainly having a good time around midnight!

Traditional top class hotel in excellent location for town centre amenities, very central, a selection of restaurants, museum, galleries etc all within walking distance, good car parking.

• Reviewed: March 29, 2018

The bed was comfortable.

Couldn't open the window wide as it had a security tie on it. Couldn't get the air conditioning unit to work despite following the instructions in the guest booklet: I suspect it didn't work. For a hotel that prides itself as the "premium hotel in Bedford" I would have expected the wardrobe to be wide wide enough to hang a coat hanger straight. This was not possible as the cupboard was a good 2 inches shorter that the width of a standard coat hanger. Clothes had to be hung at an angle which then crushed them up against the ironing board. Decor was tired and the net curtain at the window looked torn, tatty and old.

The bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: March 27, 2018

Meal & facilities were good and clean

There were some disruptive guests in a near-by room who were making a lot of noise and were quite disruptive for a few hours through the night

Meal & facilities were good and clean

• Reviewed: March 26, 2018

Good and bad. Probably the best hotel in Bedford. But there is likely no competition.
    • Suite

The restaurant was pretty dire. The staff were lovely but the food was below standard. Every course felt like it was bought at Iceland. There were large groups of children that because very noisy and unruly. The place is not well soundproofed. The mob in room 332 got in around 1.30am and persisted in being noisy until about 3am. Not good when you have a 20 mile race first thing.

Lovely suite was given to me, despite Booking.com informing the hotel I had cancelled my booking. It was particularly comfy. The breakfast was huge, and came a little late but was hot which was good. The staff were all nice, the afternoon tea looked superb, as did the spa. Lovely location by the river.