Reviews of Thistle Hotel 3 stars

59 Manor Place, Edinburgh, EH3 7EG, United Kingdom

#110 of 138 hotels in Edinburgh

There was nothing to dislike. Everything was prefect.

Although we couldn't get into our room because we had turned up very early. We were able to check in and leave our cases while we went exploring. The staff were great and willing to help out with anything.

The room was a tiny single which, in itself would have been fine size wise. But the room was shabby, the carpet badly marked, the curtain tiebacks loose and hanging off, the paintwork cracked, the walls marked and the tiny chair had a strange stain on the fabric. Water pipes ran through the room and every time someone above had a shower a loud whooshing noise filled the room. This woke me up on two occasions. Downstairs, the young woman who checked me in was new and had no help. She was also running the bar (not that there was anyone in it) and later when I ordered a gin and tonic (there was no slimline) she didn't know how to work the optics, so I had to show her. It wasn't her fault she was doing her best but it struck me that she had been left alone, ill prepared to do the necessary tasks.

The location is brilliant. Very central and in easy walking distance of Princes Street and all the attractions.

Very quiet, easy to relax after wandering around Edinburgh all day as hotel is distanced a little from all the main busy areas. Staff helpful and friendly when needed. All with great view of Edinburgh Castle from our room too!

The bed was awful. There was no hot water in the morning or by the time I checked out. The wash basin waste leaked - a lot. There were cigarette remains on the window ledge. The morning reception chap was rude and obnoxious. Appalling decor, looks like it was painted by a 2 year old. Dated fixture and fittings, very tired.

The reception staff on check-in was helpful and friendly. The location was convenient for the city centre. There is nothing else worthy of putting here for this hotel.

The toilet flush was not good, it takes like 5 minutes between flushes, which is hard for a room of 3 people. No elevator too.

The room was big and comfortable. The location was ok, not that close to any shops or restaurants, but not too far, it was very quiet.

Noisey shower pump and bathroom extractor fan.... hard to use without waking other occupants during the night.

Well presented area containing historical buildings and differing architecture . Convenient for visiting the Princes Street area on foot and beyond. Healthy selection of restaurants, pubs and shops within easy reach.

Washbasin cracked and had no plug. Bedside radio didn't work Window wouldn't stay open None really detracted from our stay

Good location, near station and central Edinburgh, but in a quiet location. Room was at back, so even quieter, and had adequate facilities, though some minor issues. Staff very helpful. Breakfast good

The whole place, especially my room, was very noisy, due to totally non-existant soundproofing and inconsiderate fellow-guests. There was a boxed-in waste pipe in the corner of my room, so I got woken up earlier than I would have liked every morning when someone flushed the toilet. The description of in-room facilities was inaccurate: there was no safe or hairdrier. The bed was so soft that I ended up with backache.

The location, literally around the corner from a relative I was visiting. The lovely view of gardens. The original features, especially the shutters. The friendly staff. The continental breakfast was quite varied and included fresh fruit.

Room 30 bit up in the gods for me!

Staff were the highlight. Young lads so very polite and helpful. The owner should be very proud of them. Building albeit tired, marvellous Georgian features. Great location.

THE WEATHER WAS TERRIBLE,NOT YOUR FAULT, EMAIL US WHEN YOU EXPECT A HEATWAVE WE DIDN'T AVAIL OF BREAKFAST AS IT FINISHED TOO EARLY AND WE WERE ON A RELAXING BREAK

STAFF VERY COURTEOUS, LOCATION VERY GOOD

I loved the decor and the shower room was very clean. I was on the top floor which was a bit of a climb but it was well worth the view of the castle.. Strange clicking sounds at night could have been heating but l slept well,my bed was so commfy. All in all l had a fantastic stay despite mix up of breakfast which l had to pay extra for continmetal breakfast was great for me had leather old fashioned chair by the window to sit on and a lovely waitress,what could be nicer😃

The shower at top floor is not satisfaying. Poor water during shower. The reception is poor and does not helpful at all. we were not informed breakfast time and some did not have breakfast. Actually breakfast is poor and products were not fresh. Anyhow, it was a nice stay for a short term.

The hotel is very close to touristic area. The room is clean and the bed is comfortable.

The decor throughout was a little tired but at the prices charged would not say this was a negative-my expectations had not been high but the thistle exceeded them.

Location was great- very close to Haymarket station but also an easy walk from Waverley and Princes street and several very good restaurants within walking distance. Beds were very comfortable, and the room was quiet- certainly a bonus when staying in a city! We had the triple room in the basement. We paid extra to have the continental breakfast and found their was plenty of choice and it was good value. And last but not least the staff were so friendly and helpful!

Room was beautiful but just a wee bit chilly, but then weather was exceptional and sub zero outside.

Booked in at the last minute after being stranded due to snow. Ewan on reception was exceptionally helpful, he gave me a double room even though I had only booked a single occupancy.

Bathroom could have been cleaner - also needed an up grade .

Convenient for one night break and good location for city. Staff friendly and helpful. Bed very comfortable and room well heated.

The staff members behind the front desk

Brian or Ryan ( forgive me for not getting the name right) who was behind the front desk on Saturday evening was extremely hospitable and looked after us at the bar area in the evening we would like to say a big thank you to him

The staff were unsure about parking and location of any other parking locations. pls the room was not clean, I could go on but there is no point.

Location to my conference location

NOTHING

Happy with every aspect of the hotel. Lovely staff, who did everything to make our stay pleasurable. Will be staying at this hotel again, for 2018/19 New Year. Good Breakfast Clean And the hotel had a homely feel about it

There was nothing I didn't like.

Really nice historic (>300 yrs) old hotel. The rooms were nicely decorated and the beds comfortable and the rooms seemed large for what is standard in the UK. They have a nice cozy bar that seems to be open all the time. They have really smooth whiskeys (I'm not an expert). The continental breakfast was fantastic: yogurt, hard boiled eggs, a variety of cereals, pastries, fresh fruit, lunchmeat, cheese, bread etc. The staff, especially the evening staff were very nice and gave us a lot of information about the area, Scottish culture etc. It is about 3.5 blocks to the busses ( 2 pounds pp each way) and tram (about 4 pounds) and a cab to the heart of town was 4-5 pounds, and since we had more than 4 people, we took a lot of cabs. We also walked several times, it is about a mile and a nice walk to the heart of town. I had a large package sent to and from the hotel (rented kilts) and the staff was very accommodating. I highly recommend Thistle Hotel on Manor Place!

Nothing. Everything was great.

The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. Ewan, Ryan and Ian went above and beyond. They changed our room to one with a bathtub. The breakfasts were delicious. Rooms were clean and spacious.

The breakfast was burned, the shower was a trickle at best, everything was a bit too old to work properly needs some updating and the staff although they were nice were very unsure and appeared to not be able to manage the hotel being busy. We also found our room unlocked one evening after we had been out when the bins had been emptied.

Booking. Booking.com info had not arrived at hotel. however they bent over backwards to ensure I could stay

very pleasant, basic but easy going place. Good shower

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

No lift, this was not publicised, my room was on top floor, I have breathing difficulties and would not have booked this hotel if I had known no lift. They could not change my room to a lower floor Short staffed only very young people on duty whole of stay. Very poor water pressure in room and hot water was not hot enough to run a bath. Shower would not work, no professional available to sort it out

comfortable bed, friendly staff, nice continental breakfast

Well it is in a very nice part of the city ‚The West‘. And generally ‚The West is always the best‘. This certainly holds true for the Thistle! The building is absolutely gorgeous as well as the room with the high ceilings. A dream really. Excellent staff! Plan to stay there again and will certainly tell all...

I didn’t like the mould in the bathroom, or the screw sticking out from the unit that sat below the sink or the lack of a toilet scrubber. Room was lovely, bathroom needed a bit of work.

Loved the spacious modern room and our own private garage for during our stay.

• Quadruple Room

remote car parking a little inconvenient.

Warm, clean and comfy bed. I left my driving license (proof of ID) behind and staff kindly notified and posted back to me

• Quadruple Room

We were in room 4 basement apartment. There were stains on the carpet, mold in the bathroom, the floor in the bathroom was coming up, stains on the bed linens, and the second bed in a family room is an uncomfortable pull out couch. It was not worth 150 pounds a night

My brother's family room #4 which is downstairs was AWFUL. It was musty, damp, heater cover kept falling off, bathroom floor was so wrinkled up that it felt spongy walking on it. Window blinds wouldn't work and some type of small bug kept flying around. (trash cans just outside windows) TV in their room didn't get good enough reception to be able to watch it. They endured because only staying 2 nights and didn't want to move all their luggage again if could have gotten a different room. I personally would have insisted on another room or moved to a different hotel even if lost deposit.

Our room on upstairs floor was OK. It's an old building so can't expect a lot. It was clean enough, staff was very pleasant and helpful. However, based on brother's room will not stay here again. It was very quiet which was nice.

We expected Free Parking outside as per information on your website. Not True. Paid parking.max 4 hours at £3.50 per hour, or £30 per day.

Central location so we could walk everywhere

Staff charming and helpful but curiously unprepared for obvious questions like "do you do cooked breakfast?" No lift. Top floor is a long way up

Good location for airport tram.

Solo travellers beware! The hotel has only two single rooms (according to their e-mail), one of which is located in the basement under the kitchen and near a service area. This means that after 7AM you may have problems sleeping and you will figure it out only the next morning. The basement room is extremely small, with a seriously run down shower. It also sports the dirtiest ever window with a frame with mould spots. The few pieces of furniture of the room were of rather low quality. While some of you may still want to book it as a last option, I believe that the room is misrepresented on the web site and I would have looked somewhere else had I been given all the information in advance. I did receive a minor refund after complaining, but that does not return the sleeping time you lose and does not remove the feeling of being cheated. Disclosure - on the same trip I visited Hong Kong, Osaka, Tokyo and the same (or lower) price range would give you a bigger and cleaner room. Those three places are firmly embedded in the 'most expensive cities of the world' list. Edinburgh does not really register there. Japan is supposed to be very bad in terms of room sizes, but they had dancing halls compared to this place. Other aspects: The continental breakfast meets the dictionary definition. If you happen to live on the continent and your definition includes cold cuts and cheese - there is one variety of each available. For its price you can do much better in the area. Parking is not on-site, you will need to walk 5 minutes to a garage in a side street. Generally not a problem - unless it is raining... Stopping the car for loading/unloading can also be tricky. The only thing that goes for the place is the convenient location - you can really walk to the main tourist attractions. As a solo traveller you have 50% chances of ending up in the basement. That room is dishonestly misrepresented and overpriced. Avoid.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

See above.

I reserved two double rooms in close proximity to each other. My husband and I were given the Manor Suite (not as an upgrade) and my friend was stuck on the top floor. No elevator. If you cannot do stairs, don't come here. When I asked the receptionist to help with the luggage, I was presented with a sour face. When I told her we were to have been placed close to each other, she looked at the computer and said "Oh, I didn't notice that." She told us that we could park on the perpendicular street, but it was all for residents. When I asked for a restaurant recommendation, she sent us to a place that had already stopped serving dinner after I specifically asked her if they were still serving (it was 7:45pm). So much for customer service. Now onto the other issues. The room looks OK at first blush - palatial even - until you start to see that everything is old and worn out. The bed is at least 50 years old with the impression of all previous residents - kind of like the mother's bed in Psycho. It was extremely uncomfortable. There were burned out light bulbs, no bottled water and no tissues. But the worst was the bathroom. There were two sinks, one of which did not work. There were two mirrors - guess what? One had nonworking lights. The toilet seat was like taking a ride every time you sat down because it was not fully attached. The flusher was loose with a broken rim. But the piece de resistance was the shower. The screen sounded like Banquo's ghost had paid a visit. When it was finally in position, it did not stop the water from spilling out onto the floor. The shower attachment was coming off the wall and the shower head would not stay in position. You were lucky to get any water actually on your body. I had also been precharged for breakfast but did not eat anywhere near the amount charged. It would have been better to just pay as we ordered. There wasn't much to choose from anyway. (They did refund the breakfast.

A little disappointed that the bar closed early, however that may have saved us a foggy start the next day!

Hotel was in a good area and easily accessible by public transport (tram). Although a small friendly hotel, it provided us with all we required for our short stay. Breakfast was plentiful and the waiting staff were efficient and most helpful. We stayed for two nights and thoroughly enjoyed our visit and will definately return.

The bathroom was pretty bad, the fan is so noisy that you feel like it is about to break down. The bathroom was very smalll, unclean, nooks had holes, things are falling apart. I reallly did not enjoy staying there. The carpet is pretty unclean too.

• Quadruple Room

Staff were extremely helpful and friendly! Room was a good size for a family of four. Breakfast was great - decent selection (and good coffee). Would definitely stay here again.

Spacious room downstairs, with beautiful view. The most friendly and helpful staff. Very good breakfast. Public transport within 300m. You can easily walk to the Old Town, though it´s a 10/15 minutes walk.

Dirty rooms,toiletries not adequate, not clear about parking facilities.mould in bathrooms,Windows painted shut.Bar area filthy, left over breakfast left on tables. Manager extrelmy rude.

They promised me I could have takeaway breakfast and failed to deliver. My single room was very small, shower floor was not very clean. They are supposed to clean every morning, they did not even empty my bin. Very poor service.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Quadruple Room

They stay was very pleasant,parking is limited but we paid & were very pleased with the secured garage given! Staff excellent, would definitely stay there again

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

On arrival reception staff grumpy ++ Room small ( single bed as requested) which was just about ok But bed uncomfortable - too soft. paint peeling off door frame and other wooden areas- shower head broken , as was shower control Generally needs a refurbish- not 3 star accommodation

Close to central edinburgh 2 staff friendly

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

The room looked and felt like 'the last available room', the one no one would like to book as it had a slightly forgotten feel to it, somewhat loveless, which was in direct contrast to the rest of this beautiful house. It wasn't possible to open the window, the inner sash window was slipping down and the outer ones wouldn't open. The bathroom had streaks of either detergent or soap and some of the 'rims' looked slightly dust baked. There was no kettle, cups and tea initially until I found them in a cupboard.

Very friendly welcome by staff, speedy, uncomplicated check-in and check-out. Lovely location in a quiet neighbourhood, yet very close to restaurants and bars.

Room was very cold in the evening, heating did not work. No hairdryer in room, TV did not work at first (although this was rectified very quickly). Door lock did not work very well and I had to have assistance to open door each time I came back to hotel.

Location was excellent

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

• Executive Double Room - Non-Smoking

Could have put soap in bathroom there wasn't any soap free shampoo or shower gel fair trek to main road as hotel is at the bottom of manor street didn't like the locks on door felt unsecure

A bit of upgrading

The hotel staff were brilliant, and cooked breakfast 10 out of 10 although hotel could do with a bit of upgrading, the rooms were very clean. would definitely stay there again to

The room was a perfect budget style hotel with an extra added touch of ambience and the location was bang in the city centre (4min walk) But without the noise of the city. Front door locked at 11pm but all guests given a key, very safe! The guest information book was very detailed and helpful, a fantastic extra little touch. The decor was old but added to that history edinburgh likes to preserve.. Excellent staff and met the owner on my way up as I left to go out for the evening, a wonderful man. The shower was slightly old but not dirty.

Room in 3rd floor with nice view of castle but no lift. This was not a problem for us but can be difficult for some people.

Friendly and helpful staff. Clean comfortable accommodation and very good value for money

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

We were offered an upgrade from a double room to a quadruple room, which sounded great. Although this sent us to the basement and the room did look like a basement room, the carpet was old and stained and there was ants around. The worst part is that when compared to my friends room there was a big difference. Although I must add that the staff was willing to transfer us to a different room when we mentioned this to them.

Staff is great and helpful Quite area near to one of the train stations

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Toilet was not stable Bathroom was very small Carpet could have done with a clean or maybe think of wooden flooring easy to clean

Good sized room for 3 of us.

The single room was very small which was quite adequate but like most hotel accommodation I think single occupants are charged too much!

The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful

Only down side was that the room had no bath which would of been great to relax in after walking up the many hills.

We really enjoyed our stay, the rooms were clean and comfy. The hotel was very nice to look at and only a 10min walk into the main centre.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

Dirty. Unclean. Mouldy. Pink mould. Black mould. In the bathroom Yuk. Dusty. Just horrible. We didn't use the shower it was too dirty. Hand soap all on the outside of the bottle. Just unclean. On arrival I told the reception man that I have a disability and trouble walking due to a back injury. So he gave us the furthest away room 28. Top floor. Four flights up!! No lift. He didn't even assist with the luggage. No heating in the room. Poor view. Dusty. Tablets and other rubbish on the floor. Tv didn't work.

The area was nice

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

There was nothing I did not like, place was great but do note that parking is limited but can book space at the hotel ahead of time.

Extremely helpful staff, diligent and great customer service. Great location and easy access to local area.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017

Showering in the morning wasn't easy, as there was a lack of hot water in the hotel which meant i had to have a cold shower, then shower at night. It's not in the centre but perfectly easy to walk to the castle in 15/20 minutes.

Very comfy bed, good size TV, and a nice view from the top floor onto Edinburgh Castle. Staff attentive when necessary, but little interaction as i did not opt for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Payment arrangements that were unclear on your website. Had it not been my wife's birthday I would have cancelled.

Not a lot. Got no benefit of Groupon Voucher as they took the whole payment before we arrived. Feel ripped off by hotel and Booking.com

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

This room has gorgeous high ceiling and original wooden shutters, but to charge what it is worth the furniture would need upgrading (very cheap) and the tiling/sealant in the shower cubical replaced. But then I probably wouldn't get such a great deal (-;

I arrived very late, and the young man on reception (who was on his way home) was genuinely friendly, hospitable and helpful (I am not sure I would have been so gracious!) Room 26 has proper working shutters - a rare find - I love them! The bed was very comfortable and the TV was the perfect size for the room (not always the case). It is low season so I had a brilliant deal

• Reviewed: 20 January 2017

- Location was good - Really beautiful hotel - The staff were great; really friendly, very, very nice people - I hate breakfast, but this one was brill - very varied We got v lucky with this one. We were on the top floor - I'd recommend asking for a floor on a lower level if you're not a fan of stairs.

• Reviewed: 11 January 2017

Great location close to centre but still on a quiet road . Friendly staff even though I was quite late . Huge warm room ,clean bathroom , comply bed

• Reviewed: 29 December 2016

The room was a disappointment. If you have any attention to detail this hotel is not for you The bathroom was a cupboard , the shower had mould around the shower cubicle and there was mould on the shower cubicle ceiling The heated towel rail was hanging off the wall , the joint was tapped up with the electrical wire evident The room furniture had been "cobbled " up from bits of MDF , no idea what was going on with the wardrobe and the dressing unit , the room has never seen a spirit level , no it's not your eyesight , very dated and quite neglected. The bed was ok but the pillows were hard and lumpy , we slept on the cushions which were preferable in comfort The breakfast was supposedly continental , one type of processed meat and cheese , boiled egg and some cereal , a toaster and some bread , perhaps some type of pastry but to be honest we gave up and left The is certainly not a little gem , it's definitely on the wonk, the bathroom was a state and the breakfast was poor , it is reasonably priced at first glance but look closely because there are better properties for a similar price.

The building was grand with a fabulous stair case. The location was in a quieter area within walking distance of all attractions and the shopping area It felt safe walking back at night

• Reviewed: 21 December 2016

Staff were very friendly and accommodating. Room was delightfully toasty after a long day of enjoying Edinburgh during this festive period. Would definitely stay again.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

The hotel would benefit from a lift as we were on the top floor but as it is a listed building their wasn't one, the bathroom could benefit from a make over & they do not serve evening meals but anything can be delivered to the hotel for you to have in your room, overall a pleasant hotel which we would use again.

The staff were very pleasant especially Joe, the location was good, quite central for everything.

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

The shower was terrible, it was ether burning hot or ice cold, should really fix that before someone hurts him self.

Great staff that were willing to do anything for us :) The location was great, just 15 minutes to Princess Street :) I really recommend this place :)

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

We asked for bucks fizz at breakfast for an 18th Birthday and didn't get it

The staff were lovely Location was excellent Rooms were cosy Hotel is traditional and quirky and was a home away from home.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

It is advertised with parking. There is only one parking space on the street allocated to the hotel. I think this is misleading.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet with no traffic noise

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

thir were someones dirty knickers left inside the trouser press,wifi wouldnt work,shower very poor.very dated and old furniture, very cold room(heating came on for about an hour)

not much

Breakfast was a disaster, like a serving from a 5 yr old child, think ingredients had all been microwaved then placed under a grill for 1 minute, it was so bad that even the young fella serving was apologising, they refunded the full amount in fairness.

Close to Haymarket Station, Friendly lads on Reception and young fella who made the breakfast (Scott)

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

I was on the top floor, no lift and going to my room especially after a meal was a bit too much, and I am pretty fit. They have cut backs on the little luxurys in the room. I have stayed in many hotels and this was the first time there wasnt biscuits on the tea tray. Its no big deal but it came across as being a bit "tight".

Staff where great, nice friendly group of lads. Location was good in a nice old building.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

There is no elevator, but this is not only at this hotel so not really a decisive factor. Loved it!

The rooms are very clean, staff is amazingly kind and helpful, calm location, and breakfast is abundant :)

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

• Executive Double Room - Non-Smoking

There is little available parking attached to the hotel. We had to park several streets away- this can be booked through the hotel but it was difficult to navigate to through the city's one-way system.

The staff were friendly and helpful with anything we needed.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

Excellent Service, Staff very helpful, Superb location. The only down side, meals are not available during the evening. However thy are more than happy for you to order take away's for which thy are very happy to supply plates and cutlery and have a selection of take away menu's to choose from.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2016

The room was located in the basement and the smell of the kitchen was disgusting! How is supposed to wash hands in the basin if you have to choose between frosting one hand and boiling the other! Too expensive, definitely not a 3 star hotel

• Reviewed: 18 August 2016

No elevator we had luggage a baby and a pram to carry to very top floor .... small room for a couple and baby especially for the money.... no parking left and even if there was a space 15 pounds is too expensive for 1 over nite parking

Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

The room was a good size with a large desk where i could work from my lap top The room just need a lick of paint and around the lobby area didn't put me off as I am going back in September this Hotel is set in the west end of Edinburgh very close the train station

The bed was very comfortable I had a good night rest

• Reviewed: 27 June 2016

Everything about this hotel is superb. It's conveniently located, yet very quiet; the rooms are clean and comfortable rooms; the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. I will definitely stay here again, and will recommend it to friends.

Stayed in May 2016

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

The building is beautiful however the interior does need a bit of TLC it looks very warn and haggard. Also the taxi service it uses are not real taxis and cost a lot more than the real Licensed Taxi whose drivers have real knowledge of the city and get you around much quicker.

The staff were very accommodating.

I left something behind, they found it and posted back to me. Completely my fault, they solved it. Great service.

Browse Thistle Hotel traveller photo gallery